Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Old music suggestions

I am tired of modern music. That's what all the people my age listen to and enjoy but lately everything sounds the same to me. I am trying to get into older artists and I have started with Nancy Sinatra (i guess I was always fascinated by her song bang bang ever since I heard it in a tarantino movie)

Right now I have started with Nancy's most popular songs on Spotify but there were only 5-6 of them. Which ones should I listen to now?

Also suggest other artists and/or songs. Just good music - of any kind!

by Anonymousreply 181October 22, 2019 12:58 PM

The Spotify songs I heard were - 1) Some Velvet morning 2) Summer wine 3) These boots are made for walkin' 4) Somethin' Stupid 5) Bang Bang 6) Sugar

by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2019 12:44 PM

Dusty Springfield, Son of a Preacher Man

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2019 12:47 PM

Bill Withers, Lovely Day

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2019 12:48 PM

The Association, Never My Love

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2019 12:52 PM

I dunno, OP. When I saw the subject header, I thought of "V'adoro Pupille" from Giulio Cesare by George Frideric Handel. Really, start with the best. So I linked Beverly Sills singing it immaculately.

But then you used the name "Nancy Sinatra" in the same sentence with "artist." Please sort that contradiction out first and then get back to us for suggestions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2019 12:57 PM

Feel the Need - Detroit Emerald

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2019 12:59 PM

See You on the Other Side - Brian Briggs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2019 1:00 PM

in regards to nancy sinatra, what about her great (one of the best bond film songs ever) "you only live twice"!..

gary pucket " over you", gerry and the pacemakers "don't let the sun catch you crying", love unlimited "love's theme (the singing version), the stylistics "you make me feel brand new" and "betcha by golly wow", the righteous brothers " soul and inspiration" and "you've lost that loving feeling", the guess who "these eyes", the moody blues "nights in white satin"...

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2019 1:05 PM

What about Nancy Sinatra's performance of"You Only Live Twice?"

It sounds like her father called in a favor to get her the gig, or possibly, threatened to have someone rubbed out if she wasn't hired.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2019 1:16 PM

"How Does That Grab You" - Nancy Sinatra - Peaked at #7 on Billboard "Love Is Like An Itching in My Heart" - The Supremes - Peaked at #9 on Billboard

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2019 1:21 PM

I am amazed at a generation that has the entire information and many examples of at least the last 2000 years of human civilisation around the world, at their fingertips, but has no clue how to discover on their own something about the past.

It's also shocking, SHOCKING, that all the music of all time is simply dived into "old" and "modern".

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2019 1:22 PM

R10 here. OP, "Love Is Like An Itching in My Heart" has a harder, grittier edge to it compared to other songs by the Supremes. It kind of reminds me more of something that Martha Reeves and the Vandellas would record. Still a great song...it's probably my favorite by the Supremes.

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2019 1:34 PM

I am making a playlist on Spotify of these songs while simultaneously listening. I am on R6 's song rn and all the songs so far were seriously good!!

R5 even though you've got a sharp tongue on you the suggestion was amazing. I heard the original version😛

R8 R9 Oh yes! I had heard "You only live twice" before along with bang bang. Love it! Thanks for the reminder.

R11 Okay let me explain - I was born in 95 in a third world country (India) so I guess anything NOT released this century is old music for me. That doesn't mean I haven't heard any of it - I listen to the Beatles, frank Sinatra, Michael Jackson, Whitney and Bowie a lot. However I want to listen to more artists. I tried a couple of Spotify playlists but they weren't as interesting as the suggestions here.

by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2019 1:38 PM

I think you might like Etta James, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2019 1:57 PM

Woah R8 All excellent suggestions. I liked the songs by 'the stylistics' the most while 'the righteous brothers' had that he most mesmerizing voices. I will check out more songs by these two.

R7 I couldn't find that song on Spotify. It's nice though - that clip.

Was it a thing R9? Frank asking for favours for Nancy?

by Anonymousreply 15September 17, 2019 2:19 PM

OP, if you are okay with music in French, check out Francoise Hardy. She is a wonder.

Start with “Le temps de l’amour.”

by Anonymousreply 16September 17, 2019 2:21 PM

R10 "There are more than one ways to skin a cat you know rawrrr" is going to be stuck in my head now!! I really liked both songs. However I have no idea who Martha Reeves and the Vandellas are😅

R14 I have heard some of Etta's songs. 'Something's got a hold of me' is great! I will listen to more - add them to my playlist.

R16 okay sure. I love music, language doesn't matter as long as it's not kpop. Can't handle kpop.

by Anonymousreply 17September 17, 2019 2:28 PM

Whoops I meant Something's got a hold ON me!

by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2019 2:30 PM

The entire Holland-Dozier-Holland catalog, and not just the top 20 hits, but album cuts and "B" sides as well. For good measure, throw in their post-Motown work, like Simply Red's "I'll Keep Holding On."

by Anonymousreply 19September 17, 2019 2:37 PM

Herb Alpert

Raymond Scott

Frank Zappa

Dinah Washington

Parliament

Lee Morgan

OP, you might be limiting your exposure of modern music to commercial Top 40. Try streaming radio stations KEXP and WFMU powered by listeners, or Radio Caroline, or university radio stations in your vicinity and beyond.

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2019 2:38 PM

Be my Baby, the Ronnettes.

If you’re interested in mid-century music, google The Motown Sound, and Phil Spector’s Wall of Sound. Phil Spector was a music producer in the 1960s that had a sort of repertory company of singers and singing groups he used to sing background on each others’ songs. He would over-produce songs by bringing in large numbers of his own musicians and singers to sing background for each other. Some of those singers included Sonny and Cher. He was married to Ronnie Spector, the lead singer of the Ronettes. Years later, at Christmas, every year for years, Ronnie Spector would go on David Letterman’s show, the last show before Christmas, and sing Baby Please Come Home. Each time they got more elaborate, trying to reproduce the Wall of Sound effect. I think they got it the last year or two. They’re all on YouTube if you’d like to compare.

Right now there’s a documentary, I think on HBO, that’s playing about Motown. It has the word “Hitsville” in the title. These were black singing groups and soloists produced by Berry Gordy. They included the Supremes, the Temptations, the Jackson Five (Michael Jackson’s family), Smokey Robinson and many others. Try Wikipedia for more detail.

Here’s your first Christmas song of the year, Ronnie Spector singing Baby Please come home in 2014 on Letterman. Keep in mind she was a girl singer in the early 1960s and this is her in 2014. Still a powerful voice. I don’t know if you’ll enjoy it as much as I have, not knowing her history. Everything she’s done is good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2019 2:43 PM

This spotify playlist:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2019 2:44 PM

Here’s the Ronettes singing Be My Baby. They’re lip-synching, as was common then on live performances on television. You can hear the Wall of Sound in the background

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2019 2:48 PM

Here’s a Ronettes album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2019 2:50 PM

Try Motown music OP. Some of the best artist and backup musicians and singers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 17, 2019 2:51 PM

Summer of 1968.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2019 2:54 PM

The Supremes, Greatest Hits. You can hear what an influence they were for Amy Winehouse if you listen.

THE classic girl group of all time. They’re covered in the Hitsville documentary. Diana Ross later went solo. This early Motown work helped mainstream black music in America. Motown artists like the Supremes helped make former “black only,” segregated music into music for all races. You could say, they even were an influence in the integration movement at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2019 2:59 PM

The Temptations.

They were a HUGE, influential group in the sixties and seventies. They had a couple of lead singers. One, David Ruffin, isn’t as represented in this playlist. He was a pain in the ass, had drug problems and was a diva, but boy could he sing. A musical genius. Here’s some early classic Temptations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2019 3:06 PM

More Temptations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 17, 2019 3:09 PM

Bobbie Gentry, listen to her whole albums .

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2019 3:10 PM

And now for something completely different.

The Beach Boys, the California Sound. Lush harmonies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2019 3:11 PM

The Mamas and the Papas. Some of their songs you may have heard, they’ve been remade by other singers. California Dreamin’ has been redone.

This group was plagued with a lot of scandals and problems later. But this is their early stuff, the bright, optimistic California Sound.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2019 3:16 PM

Janis Joplin. Years ahead of her time, a female hard rock and blues singer. Belongs to the 27 club (died at age 27 from a drug overdose). But she was in a class by herself.

She recorded a Kris Kristofferson song, Me and Bobby McGee, and took it away from him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2019 3:19 PM

Hey OP R10 here - Here's a taste of Martha Reeves and the Vandellas...They didn't have as many hits as the Supremes, but had some great songs..."Heatwave", "Jimmy Mack", "Dancing in the Street"...Like I mentioned earlier, I think they have a little grittier and more raw sound than the Supremes. Like the Supremes, they are also Rock and Roll Hall of Fame members.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2019 3:21 PM

Jimi Hendrix. All Along the Watchtower.

Check out his “Star Spangled Banner” as performed at Woodstock. It’s since a classic, but back then it was considered shocking and disrespectful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2019 3:24 PM

Nancy Sinatra- you're being sarcastic, right?

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2019 3:25 PM

Is R34 one of the earliest music videos?

by Anonymousreply 37September 17, 2019 3:27 PM

Jim Hendrix, Star Spangled Banner at Woodstock. This is pretty much the apex of the Summer of Love.

People were really pissed off by this. Called it a desecration of the national anthem. It’s pure genius.

Hendrix is one of those rock guitarists by which all others are measured. Prince was a fan, but I think in the end, Prince surpassed him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 17, 2019 3:28 PM

Mel Torme, Nina Simone, Ella Fitzgerald, Etta, as mentioned above. And of course papa Sinatra. Anything in the Nelson Riddle era of Sinatra is classic.

by Anonymousreply 39September 17, 2019 3:36 PM

Anything produced by Nelson Riddle is high quality stuff. He did an album with Linda Ronstadt. He worked with Sinatra and many others.

Since OP is young and knows nothing about older music, I’d start with one of the most admired singers of the twentieth century, Frank Sinatra.

Sinatra started out as a boy singer for big bands in the 1940s. By the 1960s, he was doing some of his best work. If you’ve ever heard of the Rat Pack, he was the leader of it, along with Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr.

Sammy Davis Jr started out in vaudeville as a little boy, as a tap dancer and singer with his father and uncle. Eventually he went solo. He was a fine singer and dancer and can be seen in Rat Pack movies performing with Sinatra.

Sinatra started as a Big Band singer. In those days, as the band traveled the country, hotels and restaurants in the South were segregated. Black performers found it difficult to travel, as white accommodations were banned for them. Even bathrooms and drinking fountains. Sinatra became a huge star, on the level of the Beatles or Elvis. He used his power to insist on accommodations for the black performers he traveled with. He refused to stay anywhere Sammy Davis Jr couldn’t stay.

Back in the Fifties, Las Vegas was segregated and blacks had to stay in their part of town. Some white, influential performers like Sinatra refused to cooperate with that and did a lot to help integrate hotels and public accommodations. They just refused to perform at segregated venues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 17, 2019 3:48 PM

Here’s the core of the Rat Pack, Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr, and Dean Martin, performing in Las Vegas, with Johnny Carson.

Some context: these guys were all superstars at that time. They performed in Vegas just to have fun with their friends, and it showed. They were the hottest ticket in Vegas. Dean Martin pretended to be a drunk as part of his act. In reality, he drank apple juice on stage and pretended to be drunk. A lot of comedians at that time pretended to be drunk as part of their act. Dean was a natural comedian, and a great singer.

There are some jokes about segregation. Some of the jokes aren’t P.C. today, but these guys were like brothers. Sinatra paid Sammy Davis Jr’s medical bills when he was dying. He quietly paid some of his taxes so his widow didn’t lose everything. People didn’t know that for years afterwards. Sinatra was an asshole, but could be a great and loyal friend too. After his death, it was found he had helped out a lot of old performers down on their luck, very quietly, as well as others who needed help. He was no angel, but did a lot of charity, never wanting publicity.

Nancy Sinatra is to Frank Sinatra as McDonalds is to some fancy French restaurant. Frank Sinatra was a giant of the twentieth century. Look up his works sometime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 17, 2019 4:06 PM

I just found this. It’s the rest of the show the clip at R41 is from. It was a charity benefit performance in 1965 to benefit a halfway house. Johnny Carson is the MC, a last minute substitute for Joey Bishop, a comedian who was another member of the Rat Pack. Bishop had injured his back and was unable to perform. So it was meant to be an all Rat Pack night. One of the conductors that night was the legendary Quincy Jones.

If you’re interested in seeing more Rat Pack performances, the movie Robin and the Seven Hoods is a good one. Frank Sinatra plays the leader of a 1920s Chicago mob. Davis and Martin are mobsters in his gang. It’s a lighthearted musical.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 17, 2019 4:17 PM

Love, love, love that video at R34. A real classic: classic song, classic car, classic girl group.

Sadly, a video like that would never see the light of day today. Insurance company execs would stroke out of they saw 3 non-employees running around an automobile assembly line.

by Anonymousreply 43September 17, 2019 4:22 PM

The Everly Brothers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44September 17, 2019 4:25 PM

Fleetwood Mac's Rumours album is an obvious one.

by Anonymousreply 45September 17, 2019 4:37 PM

The interesting thing about the Sixties is that at the same time these girl and boy groups were having big hits, there was a second track of music that was having big hits too, the last gasp of the big band era. Sinatra and the Rat Pack were some of these, “music for adults” if you will.

Another popular singer of that era was Sinatra’s own favorite singer, Tony Bennett. He eventually recorded the iconic “I Left My Heart in San Francisco.” Here’s an early album, I Wanna Be Around. It’s a jazzy, swing influenced album. I Wanna Be Around was recorded in 1963 and was a huge hit. It’s still one of my favorites.

In those days, musicianship was key. Sinatra was a perfectionist when it came to performing and would only have the best around him. The Count Basie Orchestra, Nelson Riddle, Quincy Jones and many others.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 17, 2019 4:42 PM

Here’s Tony Bennett’s classic, I Left My Heart in San Francisco.

I heard him sing this live in Union Square in San Francisco, I think it was in the 1990’s. They had done some remodeling of the Union Square area in downtown San Francisco, and they had a sort of grand opening ceremony.

He was perfect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 17, 2019 4:54 PM

It's been years since I saw the movie, but didn't they use Cher's version of "Bang Bang?"

by Anonymousreply 48September 17, 2019 5:00 PM

It's been years since I saw the movie, but didn't they use Cher's version of "Bang Bang?"

by Anonymousreply 49September 17, 2019 5:00 PM

These are all remakes (Sinead O'Connor, Am I Not Your Girl), but you might enjoy the songs, e.g., "Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 17, 2019 5:02 PM

R21, You referred to the great Darlene Love twice as Ronnie Spector. For shame.

by Anonymousreply 51September 17, 2019 5:02 PM

R49, If you are referring to Kill Bill Vol.1, it used the Nancy Sinatra version.

by Anonymousreply 52September 17, 2019 5:05 PM

I did! Cher and her then husband Sonny started as background singers for Phil Spector. If you listen to old Phil Spector produced records, occasionally you can hear Cher’s distinctive voice in the background vocals.

Here’s Sonny and Cher’s classic hit, I Got You, Babe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53September 17, 2019 5:06 PM

R51, OH DEAR! You’re right, I don’t know what I was thinking. Sacrilege.

Here’s some great Darlene Love songs. She also was a background singer in Phil Spector’s Wall of Sound recordings, but nobody could keep that magnificent voice in the background for long.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 17, 2019 5:10 PM

Here’s a documentary clip about Carole King and the Brill Building era. Carole King was originally a teenage songwriter who wrote songs for others to perform. “You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman” was a big hit she wrote that was performed by Aretha Franklin. She wrote many other hits for other performers. Eventually, she became a popular performer herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 17, 2019 5:18 PM

Here’s Carole King’s song, “You Make Me Feel Like A Natural Woman,” performed by the Queen of Soul, Miss Aretha Franklin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56September 17, 2019 5:21 PM

Carole King wrote hit songs for lots of other groups, The Animals, Herman’s Hermits, and many others. Here’s her iconic album, Tapestry, which is full of songs that have been recorded by other artists since. It was a huge hit at the time for King herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57September 17, 2019 5:28 PM

The 60s - Girl Groups, Motown, British Invasion, Psychedelic Rock, Bubblegum Pop

The 70s - Folk Rock, Country Rock, Hard Rock, Progressive Rock, Disco and R&B

The 80s - Post Punk/New Wave/Alternative, HiNrg, R&B, Pop Rock

The 90s - Grunge, Eurodisco

2000s - Nothing

by Anonymousreply 58September 17, 2019 6:09 PM

80s also had glam metal

by Anonymousreply 59September 17, 2019 6:12 PM

John Denver. I know he's polemic but there's something about his folk music that soothes my soul.

Simon and Garfunkel are good, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 17, 2019 6:16 PM

I use Pandora and listen to my Madeleine Peyroux channel. It introduced me to a lot of French, Brazilian and jazz artists I had never heard before. It is pretty mellow for the most part though. Love the French version of Nancy’s “These Boots Are Made For Walkin.”

by Anonymousreply 61September 17, 2019 6:19 PM

OP, R1 I think you like Lee Hazlewood too!

by Anonymousreply 62September 17, 2019 6:57 PM

Here you go, OP. After some of what has been posted here, you'll need something beautiful to cleanse your mind.

Here is Frederica von Stade singing (gloriously) the Song to the Moon from Antonin Dvořák's opera, RUSALKA.

However, this one is not so old. It only dates from 1901.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 17, 2019 7:24 PM

my old kentucky home

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 17, 2019 7:39 PM

Old Music suggestions?

You want to start with the Great American Songbook...with those writers and the singers who sung them.

Harold Arlen, Irving Berlin, Hoagy Carmichael,Duke Ellington, George and Ira Gershwin. Jerome Kern, Frank Loesser, Johnny Mercer , Cole Porter....etc.

You'll want to note the timelessness of those songs and how they could be adopted to changing times...from quasi operatic to jazz.

Frank Sinatra is a great start.

by Anonymousreply 65September 17, 2019 7:47 PM

Listen to the Ultra Lunge collection on Spotify. It's an encyclopedic compilation from Capitol Records of 50s and 60s pop standards and light jazz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66September 17, 2019 8:22 PM

Connie Franklin. Just go to YouTube and listen to: "Why Do You Always Make Me Cry?"; "I'm Nothing Without Your Love"; "You Left Me And Now I'm Blue"; "I Broke A Heart In 10,000 Pieces"; "Frozen Heart/Crystal Tears"; and "What's The Point Of Living Anymore?".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67September 17, 2019 8:39 PM

Hi OP. You're in your 20's and welcome here. What do I know, but is India a "3rd world country?" Not to me but I guess to you. Since your Indian why not also include "old" Indian music of the 20th C. Most of us Western eldergays know Ravi Shankar, for example, an of course Lata Mangeshkar. And do you even know Middle Eastern and North African music. Vast world. Brazilian music of the 60s and 70s (jazz and bossa nova)? What about Marian Makeba, etc? Do you know the history of American black music - jazz, R&B. I mean Nancy Sinatra, hello? Very marginal figure in the history of music. Go listen to Lightnin' Hopkins, David Bowie, Cab Calloway, Judy Garland, Jimi Hendrix, Nina Simone, Marlene Dietrich, Janis Joplin, Bobbie Gentry, and the 80s New Wave for fucking crissakes, and report back to us.

by Anonymousreply 68September 17, 2019 9:59 PM

you're

by Anonymousreply 69September 17, 2019 10:00 PM

[quote]I have started with Nancy Sinatra (i guess I was always fascinated by her song bang bang

"Her song"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70September 17, 2019 10:29 PM

If you’re interested in going back as far as the early 1900’s, there was something in New York called Tin Pan Alley. That was basically office buildings with a bunch of individual small rooms with pianos. Singers for hire would sing composers’ sheet music to people who wanted to buy it. Irving Berlin, the Gershwins, George M Cohan and many others got their start that way. If your music became popular, eventually you might get a musical on Broadway. It was good practice for composers of the day to hone their talents.

By the 1920s-30s, people liked to listen to dance music at colleges or ballrooms and they would dance. Those “big bands” started off with a few seminal early groups, like Red Nichols and His Five Pennies. Nichols had some musicians who later went out and formed their own bands. Glenn Miller, Jimmy Dorsey, Jack Teagarden, Gene Krupa, Benny Goodman. All these guys later had their own big bands and were huge stars themselves. Benny Goodman, a Jew who liked black jazz and boogie woogie, became a very famous bandleader. In those days, both blacks and Jews were discriminated against, so the New York poor Jewish musicians and composers that started in places like Tin Pan Alley had a lot of empathy for the black Southerner musicians’ problems with segregation on the road. One of Goodman's musicians who went on to start his own band was Harry James. He became very successful.

Bandleader Harry James hired a little known “boy singer,” for his band, Frank Sinatra. Then Sinatra went to Tommy Dorsey’s band. And the rest is history. Other big band singers included Doris Day and many others that eventually made it in Hollywood as actors or as soloists.

Goodman and other Jewish bandleaders hired black jazz musicians to perform their swing compositions, and stuck up for them in the road. Goodman was a famous perfectionist and not everyone could keep up with him. He hired the best black session musicians he could find for his band, without concern for their color, and was notoriously strict, but fair. A lot of his musicians later had their own bands. Lionel Hampton, Gene Krupa. Glenn Miller. Swing was originally a blend of black Dixieland jazz, boogie-woogie, scat, soul music and the blues. Most of which were founded or refined by the great Louis Armstrong. He’s been described as the American Beethoven.

White Jewish musicians came along and did some great compositions and arrangements in this style. In those days black bands like Duke Ellington founded the music, but didn’t always get to play the most visible or high-paying gigs. Whites and blacks together made swing what it was. Swing morphed into early rockabilly, which led to rock and roll. All music forms with black American roots.

A lot of early twentieth century music, into the fifties, was influenced by segregation and the civil rights movement. It’s an undercurrent behind a lot of songs.

Sinatra was influenced by Goodman's integration policy and practiced it himself when he became a big star. Here’s early Sinatra, singing “I’ll Never Smile Again” with the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 18, 2019 12:21 AM

Here’s Louis Armstrong singing “Dinah” in 1933 and scatting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72September 18, 2019 12:26 AM

Here’s Louis Armstrong and actor/singer Danny Kaye singing and scatting “When the Saints Go Marching In” from a movie about Red Nichols and His Five Pennies. Kaye plays Nichols.

There were also loosely biographical movies made about Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller in the 1940s. Not always accurate, but they were done with the real bands and worth watching.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 18, 2019 12:35 AM

Here’s Big Mama Thornton singing what is arguably one of the first rock and roll songs of all time, a bluesy version of You Ain’t Nothin’ But A Hound Dog. A white singer cane along later and covered it, as was common at the time. Elvis Presley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 18, 2019 12:38 AM

Here’s a song a lot of people believe is the first rock and roll song, “Rocket 88,” performed by a young Ike Turner. You can hear boogie woogie piano style, and the piano version of some Chuck Berry.

Ike Turner = Tina Turner’s husband.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 18, 2019 12:43 AM

Here’s one of the most influential rock songs of all time, “Johnny B. Goode” by Chuck Berry. This song was shot into space on a solid gold record on the Voyager unmanned space explorer. Along with Beethoven.

It was thought then, maybe thousands of years in the future, maybe long after our civilization was gone, aliens would play it and know what the best of earth was.

You can hear Rocket 88 riffs in there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76September 18, 2019 12:48 AM

And what became of Ike Turner? He married up, to a young country girl, Anna Mae Bullock, and changed her professional name to Tina Turner.

Ike was abusive to Tuna and eventually they divorced, after having a string of hits. She started over flat broke, with nothing, and literally sang for her supper in small venues. She became a huge star again as a solo act. Ike never recovered professionally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77September 18, 2019 1:01 AM

Here’s another song heavily influenced by Rocket 88. The rockabilly style 1955 “Rock Around the Clock” by Bill Haley and His Comets. This song was later used as theme music for the TV show Happy Days. You can see the white kids in the video delicately Lindy -Hopping to the music. Much to the shock of their outraged parents, who thought of rock as “jungle music.” .

Again, it was common for white performers to cover black songs or steal from them. This was a heavily segregated era in the U.S., so a black performer would write or record a song, then a white performer would record the same song and kill the black performer’s sales of the original recording.

It took a while before black acts crossovered to white audiences, with a few rare exceptions like Chuck Berry. The Beatles and Rolling Stones were big fans of Berry and you can hear it in their very early works.

The Jackson Five in the Seventies were a big crossover act.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78September 18, 2019 1:20 AM

Meanwhile, way back in 1941, here’s black dancers, also lindy-hopping, fifteen years before Bill Haley. A little more exuberant, one might say.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79September 18, 2019 1:24 AM

So far, I know most of the suggestions (but I'm very grateful for the ones I haven't heard: I bookmarked the thread). Here's Astrid Gilberto. If she was mentioned upthread, then my apologies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80September 18, 2019 1:35 AM

My younger days (back in the 60s).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81September 18, 2019 1:37 AM

Benny Goodman live at Carnegie Hall. Also, watch the Jazz series by Ken Burns.

by Anonymousreply 82September 18, 2019 2:01 AM

Benny Goodman live at Carnegie Hall was a big deal because, until then, Carnegie Hall was for classical music only. That was like letting heathens take over a church. But it was very successful and got great reviews.

Here’s the full concert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83September 18, 2019 2:06 AM

You MUST give Mrs. Miller a listen. Her stunning rendition of "Downtown" was enough to scare off Petula Clark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84September 18, 2019 2:15 AM

OP here I am at work and saw the post just now. I appreciate all the suggestions ! I am adding the suggested songs to my Spotify playlist and once I am through with those, I will go to the suggested full albums and artists.

R40 and others Thanks for mentioning a little bit of their history, makes them more interesting to me. I am going through them as soon as I can.

This is turning out much better than I expected! I had finished up to Etta James' best songs last night. Excited to hear the rest.

by Anonymousreply 85September 18, 2019 6:28 AM

R68 I have heard a lot of Lata's songs. She is a legend! I am going through specific songs suggested here first - then artists(their most popular songs on spotify) I am very interested in Janis Joplin now. I have heard her mentioned here so many times.

by Anonymousreply 86September 18, 2019 6:31 AM

R21 woah! I really liked that!! How has she preserved her voice for so long because she sounds gooood!

I can't find "hitsville: the making of motown" on Netflix India. I will try some other steaming site.

by Anonymousreply 87September 18, 2019 6:50 AM

I agree with r82. Watch Ken Burn’s series “Jazz”. Really interesting history of this uniquely American genre and it’s influence on later music.

by Anonymousreply 88September 18, 2019 7:32 AM

Go back to pre-rock and roll with Jo Stafford

by Anonymousreply 89September 18, 2019 7:38 AM

OP, if jazz is appealing, check out the 1959 documentary "Jazz on a Summer's Day." I've linked one of the many famous segments, but the entire film is required viewing for any jazz baby.

Anita O'Day was a great jazz singer. I hope you like her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90September 18, 2019 12:20 PM

R22 I am almost done with the playlist and I LOVE it. I actually didn't like only 2/3 songs. Rest were great. I now know why the beach boys have those amazing meta scores! One of the highest ever if I recall correctly.

by Anonymousreply 91September 19, 2019 5:02 AM

Louis Armstrong and his Hot Fives' 1920s recordings are so good that when I bought the CD set for my husband, I received a rave from the 20-something cashier at the music store.

by Anonymousreply 92September 19, 2019 5:06 AM

R91/OP here It was supposed to be 2or 3 songs not 2/3rd songs. Just in case.

R92 I was planning on listening to him. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 93September 19, 2019 5:19 AM

Ray Charles’ Greatest Hits.

Notes: Georgia on My Mind was actually written by Hoagy Carmichael and Stuart Gorrell in 1930. Ray recorded it in 1960. His version became hugely popular, and in 1979, Georgia On My Mind became the official state song in the state of Georgia, largely because of Ray’s version.

Ray had a girl group backing him, the Raelettes, and had affairs with a lot of the female singers. Many of them were incredible singers that should have had their own solo careers. One of these had a featured solo in Night Time is The Right Time, Margie Hendrix. She knocks your socks right off and blows your hair back.

Ray wrote a lot of his own songs as well as covering other people’s songs. His cover of “America the Beautiful” was a big hit. They still play it in Times Square on New Years’ Eve.

Ray sang all kinds of music, blues, soul, ballads and country. He had huge hits in every style of music. There’s a lot more songs than this worth your time, but start here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94September 19, 2019 1:48 PM

Billie Holiday. She was a songwriter herself, but mostly sang other people's work. She wrote “God Bless the Child,” and “Billie’s Blues.”

Diana Ross starred in a film about her in 1972, Lady Sings the Blues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95September 19, 2019 2:01 PM

R24 I just finished listening to the greatest hits album. IT'S INSANELY GOOD. I am currently finding all their songs available on Spotify and I am going to listen to them . Thanks a lot. Wow, I think they might be my favourites so far.

by Anonymousreply 96September 20, 2019 5:13 PM

R24 Do you know other musicians who were inspired by them? Because I want to check them out too.

by Anonymousreply 97September 20, 2019 5:17 PM

R96 r97, give a listen to Back to Mono on Spotify. You should like the Crystals and Darlene Love at the very least. And be sure to hear the Phil Spector Christmas Album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98September 20, 2019 6:30 PM

Ray Charles - Modern Sounds in Country Western Music

by Anonymousreply 99September 20, 2019 11:26 PM

You will like this, OP. Simply gorgeous.

Richard Strauss. Add him to your list.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100September 21, 2019 2:00 AM

Patsy, the Queen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101September 21, 2019 3:13 AM

Hank, the Hillbilly Shakespeare

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102September 21, 2019 3:15 AM

Marty, blond white kid who fell in love with a Mexican girl.....in 1959

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103September 21, 2019 3:21 AM

old singing old

sacred harp (shape note singing) "What Wondrous Love"

by Anonymousreply 104September 21, 2019 3:32 AM

oops, link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105September 21, 2019 3:33 AM

NIna Simone, There Is A Balm In Giliad

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106September 21, 2019 3:39 AM

The Andrews Sisters. Three sisters in the WWII era with incredible harmonies. They had a lot of personality and sass. A lot of their songs are just fun dance music.

They were covered by Bette Midler and Christina Aguilera. You can hear their influence in some of Xtina’s work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107September 21, 2019 10:18 AM

Glenn Miller Orchestra, Chattanooga Choo Choo, from the movie Sunrise Serenade. The whole movie is on YouTube. Featured singer was band member Tex Beneke, who later had his own big band.

Chattanooga Choo Choo was the first gold record in history. They sold 1.2 million copies, a huge number at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108September 21, 2019 10:24 AM

Phil Spector Christmas Album. The best Christmas album ever.

The Ronettes singing Frosty the Snowman is a classic. And Darlene Love is terrific, as usual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109September 21, 2019 10:29 AM

“I’ve Got A Gal in Kalamazoo” was recorded by Glenn Miller and His Orchestra, featuring the Modernaires singing group. Lead singers, Marion Hutton and Tex Beneke. This is peak swing. Just fun, high energy dance music.

The recording is from the movie Orchestra Wives.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110September 21, 2019 10:38 AM

There was an old hippie (literally) sitting at my bus stop (literally) yesterday singing songs in full stentorian mode. His best was "Surrey with the Fringe on Top." Hearing it made my day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111September 21, 2019 11:01 AM

The one and only Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin, was mentioned upthread when someone recommended Carole King's composition, "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman". While that was one of Aretha's signature songs, pretty much her entire catalog from the late 60s and the early 70s represents a cultural milestone in the history of American popular music.

Respect, Think, Chain of Fools, I Never Loved A Man The Way That I Love You, Do Right Woman Do Right Man, Dr Feelgood, Until You Come Back To Me, Don't Play That Song, I Say A Little Prayer - some of her most memorable recordings during her peak.

If you like "I Say A Little Prayer" check out Dionne Warwick, the definitive interpreter of the works of Bacharach and David, who wrote that song.

My personal favorite from Aretha's catalog is "Ain't No Way". Aretha at the peak of her powers, a gorgeous melody and heartbreaking lyric written by her sister Carolyn (who was one of us, which leads me to believe that the song is a coded lyric about lesbian love), topped off by great background vocals by the Sweet Inspirations (and Cissy Houston's glorious soprano). I love listening to this song late at night when everything around me is quiet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112September 21, 2019 3:47 PM

The one and only Gene Pitney.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113September 22, 2019 3:52 AM

R26 I just went ahead and listened to the whole album 'Like to get to know you'. It was really fun. The little talking part at the beginning of the title track was so colourful - made me beam!! 😁

R25 There were so many artists on the Motown playlist whom I had never heard of. I think I am going to seek more of their music. Do tell me if you have more suggestions.

I had never heard a Jackson 5 song before. I had obviously heard about Jackson 5 but never their music. Any more songs from them that I should hear?

by Anonymousreply 114September 24, 2019 11:23 AM

Here’s a list of 1960’s bands that covers a lot of people.

The Shirelles are a good girl group, another one is The Marvellettes.

Another influential singer is James Brown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115September 24, 2019 12:02 PM

Younger people only know Michael Jackson as a solo act. But his Jackson 5 work was brilliant. Here was this little kid as front man to a group of siblings that were much older, and he had more talent than all of them put together. But they were the perfect backing band for him.

They were really at their best in live performances. They did choreographed dancing like the Temptations. That’s where Michael learned to dance. They were on Ed Sullivan and many other TV shows.

Their father, who was an abusive asshole, made them practice over and over until they were perfect. Young Michael sang a lot of romantic songs when he was far too young to be in a romance, but he just had “It.” Lots of young girls had crushes on Michael. The Jackson 5 is really the first band I can think of where it was ok for little white girls to have a crush on a black boy, probably because he was so young and cute.

Here’s a YouTube channel with some rare footage, including an early audition.

Be sure to check out “I’ll Be There,” it was a huge hit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116September 24, 2019 12:18 PM

Here’s “I’ll Be There” on The Diana Ross Show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117September 24, 2019 12:58 PM

To give you some context, the last song The Supremes ever did before Diana Ross went solo was “Some Day We’ll Be Together.” It was a huge hit. This is the Supremes’ last performance as a girl group before they broke up, on The Ed Sullivan Show. They do a medley of their hits as follows. Look all these up and listen to the full version, these are all fantastic songs.

Baby Love

Stop! In The Name Of Love

Come See About Me

My World Is Empty Without You

You Can´t Hurry Love

The Happening

You Keep Me Hangin´ On

Reflections

Love Child

I Hear A Symphony

Someday We´ll Be Together

Read the comments, there’s a lot of interesting trivia from people why were around back then.

BTW, the Supremes were known for their glamorous costumes. Here’s another example.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118September 24, 2019 1:14 PM

*Who* were around back then. ^^

And here’s the reason you need to watch the last two first: “Motown 25,” the legendary 25th anniversary of Motown TV special.

Back when this was recorded, everyone had lived through all of the Motown groups mentioned upthread. This special was celebrating the history of Motown and included a lot of the big stars of its heyday. Pretty much every star on this special is worth looking up further. Lionel Ritchie had a long string of hits with the Commodores and as a solo act. He’s a talented songwriter and singer.

The highlight was the reunion of the Jackson 5. If you saw little Michael Jackson sing “I’ll Be There” in the previous post, this will make sense to you. Grown women in the audience had fallen in love with cute little Michael as young teenagers. The Jacksons were the first boy band as we understand it now. Just pure eye candy, but fine singers and performers as well. All the little girls were in love with them. But Michael was special, right from the first.

The Jacksons do a medley of their hits in this clip. Then the Jacksons leave the stage, and Michael sings “Billie Jean.” This show was the exact minute we all saw Michael Jackson go from a huge star in a group doing a solo record, to the King of Pop. This is it. You’re watching a superstar solo act be born in front of you. And for the first time ever, he danced the Moonwalk. Listen to the audience.

The next day, people all over the country were talking about Michael’s performance. They really were. It was a revelation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119September 24, 2019 1:33 PM

Old music? This one is from 1831.

Come for the music. Stay for the technique of two of the great artists of the 20th Century.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120September 24, 2019 1:42 PM

In the comments on YouTube for that Motown 25 performance, it says Michael went backstage and cried because he thought it wasn’t good enough. Don’t know if that is true, but it could be.

Joe Jackson, the boys’ father, was a demanding taskmaster and a controlling stage father. The rumor is that he molested Michael and some of the other Jackson kids. They’re not talking. One of the Jackson daughters, La Toya, made some comments years ago about her and her sister, Rebbie, being molested by Joe. but later shut up. It seems obvious she was paid off. Several of the Jackson kids seem to suffer from low self esteem and mental illness.

Michael later seemed stuck in this period, repeating the same dance moves and similar costumes a lot. I think he was trying to recapture the moment he was on top of the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121September 24, 2019 2:08 PM

I love listening to Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, Roy Obrison and many others.

by Anonymousreply 122September 24, 2019 2:29 PM

Keely Smith. One of the very best interpreters of the American popular song. Everything she did was first rate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123September 24, 2019 2:57 PM

Thanks R116 that's some nice pop culture tidbit. I watched a couple of their performances and Michael REALLY was more talented than them all. Such a shame he was what he was in real life! Can you imagine if his résumé didn't have "alleged pedophile" in it what would his legacy be like?

by Anonymousreply 124September 25, 2019 5:04 AM

R119 R121 I have watched that Billie Jean performance before and came across the comment - that he cried afterwards. No idea if that's true or not. Considering what we know now about Joe Jackson and how he treated his kids, it seems totally possible. What a prick!

I have one more question - how big was Michael Jackson ?? Since we are on DL I should specify - I don't mean his height, weight or body statistics😛. How popular was he? I just remember when he died it was a HUGE deal here in India.

by Anonymousreply 125September 25, 2019 5:10 AM

Going waaaay back, Noel Coward Live at Las Vegas is sensational. It was recorded in June 1955. It may take awhile to get into, but I listen to it regularly. The ironic thing is when he introduces the song "Matelot", he describes it as being aboiut a French sailor, when it was written for Graham Payn, his [for lack of a better term] common law husband. Also, the line, "I'm so sick of their damn fool faces, " from "World Weary", was originally, "I'm so sick of their fucking faces."

by Anonymousreply 126September 25, 2019 8:31 AM

Michael Jackson was huge. At one time he was the biggest male singer in America. He was like the male Madonna at her peak.

About Keely Smith (good choice!), she was married to bandleader Louis Prima. When they met, she was a very young girl, I think a minor. So her mother wouldn’t let her tour with Prima. So he married her and took her on tour, and the rest is history. She was great with the band, and well liked. He was a macho Italian male, and cheated constantly. They eventually divorced, and he tried the same thing again with a couple other young girls. They were good singers, but no Keely Smith. They had a special kind of magic as a team.

Louis was heavily influenced by his time in New Orleans. He did Dixieland Jazz and his act was lighthearted, fun, wild jazz and swing. He was great at scatting and sounded like a wilder Louis Armstrong. He was the hottest ticket in Vegas at one time. Their act was called the wildest act in Las Vegas, and they did an album called “The Wildest!” Their act was often risqué and had a lot of comedy and was very fun. They performed a song called The Sheik of Araby. In the Vegas act, it had a chorus of “put your pants on.” For the album, they had to sing, “put your turban on.”

Louis’ right hand man in the act was a sax man called Sam Butera. They did some light comedy and Butera was great at following whatever improvising Louis wanted to do.

Louis and Keely’s act was, she would sing totally deadpan and expressionlessly while he pranced wildly all over the stage. He would say something and she would put him down. Sonny and Cher later copied this act. You can see it in old clips of the Sonny and Cher show.

Louis wrote two songs that have lasted. Benny Goodman recorded and re-arranged Prima’s song, Sing Sing Sing, and Just a Gigolo was another, which was remade in the 1980s.

Prima was so famous as a wild man character, Disney wrote a part for him as a chimp in their movie, The Jungle Book. Here’s a description of how that happened.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127September 25, 2019 2:21 PM

Prima’s music style was influenced by his Neapolitan Italian background. At the time, Italian American musicians were popular, like Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and many others. Prima sang in Italian in many of his songs.

A big hit he had with Keely Smith was “That Old Black Magic.” When you hear it, it sounds like an obnoxious guy interrupting an elegant singer, to our modern ears, but I’ve heard her version without him. It’s beautiful, but their two opposing personalities added a complement that was electric for live performances. She spoke later of their live performances together with fondness.

Here’s a censored performance of The Sheik of Araby. They’re singing, “jumpin’ as a jay bird.” In Vegas, it was, “naked as a jay bird.” They also sing, “put those turban on,” which doesn’t make sense unless you know the real lyric is, “put those pants on.”

Keely’s striking looks were due to her Native American heritage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128September 25, 2019 2:32 PM

Here’s one of my favorites, “Oh Marie.” You can hear the heavy Neopolitan Italian American influence here. This is a good example of their live band persona and the fantastic Sam Butera plays off Prima's wild energy.

This is my “get up and go when I’m dead tired,” song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129September 25, 2019 2:39 PM

Amapola, theme from Once Upon a Time in America

by Anonymousreply 130September 25, 2019 2:42 PM

Here’s Keely and Louis goofing around. That Old Black Magic, I’ve Got You Under My Skin. Sinatra also had a big hit with that one, it’s a standard in the Great American Songbook. Sinatra’s version is a lot more serious of course.

Keely later became a solo act after their marriage. She also did some duets with Sinatra and was very fond of him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131September 25, 2019 2:48 PM

Here’s Keely Smith and Sinatra. Their voices blend well together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132September 25, 2019 2:51 PM

Here’s a popular usage of a Louis Prima song, in a Gap ad in the 1990’s. This was so influential it probably inspired a brief re-emergence of swing music on the 1990s.

This was popular enough that Brian Setzer later remade it with a big band, and eventually Setzer took his big band on the road and recorded many other covers of big band songs. It’s all fun music, re-arranged by Setzer to use a guitar in the lead. Setzer himself is a fine guitarist and arranger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133September 25, 2019 3:06 PM

Brian Setzer was originally famous for his Rockabilly work with his band, the Stray Cats. After that Gap ad, he re-arranged and recorded another Louis Prima song, Jump, Jive and Wail in the1990s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134September 25, 2019 3:09 PM

And speaking of Brian Setzer...

Here’s a playlist of his big band and rockabilly work. Check out the Christmas album, it’s a lot of fun. And so is the rest of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135September 25, 2019 3:15 PM

Cocktails for Two

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136September 25, 2019 3:40 PM

R127 As big as Madonna? Really? Wasn't he a lot more popular? I know Madonna was a sensation back then but I assumed Michael was just on another level.

by Anonymousreply 137September 25, 2019 6:37 PM

I was listening to some Motown songs and came across 'Midnight train to Georgia'. It is DIVINE! I also watched a performance from a couple years ago and she still makes it sound SO GOOD. Just everything about that song is perfect😍

by Anonymousreply 138September 25, 2019 6:42 PM

Gladys Knight is one of the goddesses of Soul music and the recording of "Midnight Train to Georgia" is probably the best song she recorded with The Pips.

by Anonymousreply 139September 25, 2019 6:46 PM

OP, if you’re watching Madonna now, you’re watching a ghost coasting on fumes. Back in the day, Madonna was everywhere. Girls copied her unique fashion look. She wrote her own songs. She was fearless and groundbreaking.

Here’s an early live Madonna performance in 1984. The MYV music awards. When she rolled around on the floor, that caused a big stir. This was considered pretty raunchy for that time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140September 25, 2019 7:25 PM

Here’s another popular Madonna performance, also on the MTV music awards. The song is “Vogue.”

Vogue was named after a then popular dance trend in the gay clubs. She took the dance and made it about herself. Have a look and see how she did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141September 25, 2019 7:28 PM

Never on her best day was Madonna a bigger success than Michael Jackson. In West Hollywood, maybe. Or an Atlantis cruise.

She was certainly a force, but as R137 stated, Michael was just on another level.

by Anonymousreply 142September 25, 2019 7:48 PM

michael had the biggest album sales (thriller, etc) but madonna had more hits and madonna influenced a entire generation of women and gay men... don't think michael influenced either.. and michael's press was usually bad press while madonna's was even if negative was juicy and sensationalized, it was she on the magazine covers and more press around the world, and it was also madonna whose videos were sensations, not so much michael.... so i think it's a rightful comparison of madonna and michael jackson. MTV did give their first vanguard icon award for the greatest star of their 1st 10 years to madonna not michael... and of course madonna is STILL HERE.. gone are michael, whitney, prince, george michael all succumbing to their own issues and vices.. just for this madonna is the iconic warrior who has outlast them all...

by Anonymousreply 143September 25, 2019 8:00 PM

So let her play Carlotta Campion in the next revival of FOLLIES.

All the awards are pure shit. They are all just excuses for publicity. Lots and lots of publicity. They count for nothing. Madonna capitalized on the culture, but she never really influenced it. She holds herself out as a singer, but I daresay she has not influenced a single singer. Who would emulate that limited voice? Michael Jackson, like him or not, was touched by God with a great musical gift, as well as a gift for dance. Millions of kids and aspiring young artists were influenced by him and his work. Madonna? Hardly. The gays love her on the dance floor, but no one has emulated her musicianship. No one.

by Anonymousreply 144September 25, 2019 8:07 PM

perhaps not influenced by her voice, but influenced by madonna elsewhere and in other ways... madonna might have been a 'whore" but michael was a "freak" ...in the long run, i think most would prefer the previous simplistic definition of themselves not the latter..

by Anonymousreply 145September 25, 2019 8:10 PM

Old enough for you, OP?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146September 25, 2019 8:30 PM

Older yet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147September 25, 2019 8:35 PM

R139 I am going to listen to more Gladys Knight songs tonight. Her voice is wonderful.

R140 Yes! She is kind of embarrassing now. Trying too hard to fit in with the cool kids. I guess she was one of them back in the day and hasn't learned to let it go. Btw Raunchy? That?! HA! If only they knew what the future held🤣

by Anonymousreply 148September 26, 2019 10:08 AM

Woah R141 okay I have to say - that was pretty damn bold of her! It was more entertaining than all of this year's MTV awards performances combined.

Btw I like that she didn't try to hide her lip syncing 🤣

by Anonymousreply 149September 26, 2019 10:18 AM

If you like the early Madonna, here’s another good one, Like A Prayer. This video was considered controversial and shocking in so many ways.

Jesus as a black man, Madonna wearing a low cut slip in a church and dancing in it, images of her kissing Jesus (a scantily clad white woman with a black guy in the video) and making out, burning crosses, you name it. She threw it all out there. And the “good Catholic girl” Madonna wearing a tiny Catholic cross with her slip in the church, while dancing and singing with a conventionally dressed church choir, including an innocent looking little boy. I think a lot of churchgoers were just horrified by this video.

This was in the MTV era, where a music video could make or break your song. Meanwhile, they had to force MTV to play Michael Jackson’s monster hit videos, and Queen’s “I Want To Break Free” video was banned because the boys were dressed in drag as women.

Song’s pretty good though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150September 27, 2019 5:48 AM

Have you listened to any Dusty Springfield? She was the poster child of blue-eyed soul in the 60s. Lesbian icon and one of the finest singers from the British Isles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151September 27, 2019 5:54 AM

Here’s the “wicked” Queen video that was banned from MTV. Not from the ballet dancers representing an orgy, the issue was the boys dressed as characters from the extremely popular, long time British soap opera, “Coronation Street.”

The weird thing is, before this, Monty Python’s Flying Circus was on PBS for years, and the male comedians on that show frequently dressed as women, in much the same style as in this video. Zero controversy about that show.

If you watched “Bohemian Rhapsody,” Freddie Mercury did not write the song or come up the video concept. Both done by straight men.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152September 27, 2019 5:56 AM

Here’s Radio Ga Ga by Queen.

This is from the Golden Age of MTV music videos. The concept was based on a 1927 film by director Fritz Land, “Metropolis.” It’s about a futuristic “Utopia,” run for the benefit of a wealthy upper class, in a beautiful, modern Art Deco city with flying cars and grand, futuristic homes. But it’s run by an underclass of downtrodden, suffering serfs the upper class seldom sees and doesn’t care about. Eventually there is a revolt. It’s a beautiful, timeless movie. See it if you can. It’s on Amazon Prime and youtube among others.

In the video, a lot of the footage is actual footage from Metropolis. Freddie and the boys were put on a set in a flying car, cruising the skies of the city of Metropolis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153September 27, 2019 6:18 AM

Here’s Michael Jackson’s “Thriller.”

In the early days of MTV, it was really hard for black artists to get their videos shown. MTV showed mainly white artists. Michael Jackson was a huge star, but they wouldn’t show his videos. So he had Thriller made. It’s more like a short movie than the simpler sort of videos they did at the time. The hype was so great before this video came out, people were waiting anxiously for it to drop.

The narration comes from the famous horror film actor of the 60s and 70s, Vincent Price. He did so many Edgar Allen Poe movies and other horror movies, that just having his voice on the video gave it credibility. The video was a huge hit and gave Michael Jackson a reputation as having the best videos of anyone at the time. It was the most popular video of all time for many years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154September 27, 2019 6:31 AM

Forgot to mention, there’s a short disclaimer at the beginning of the video, saying Michael doesn’t believe in the occult. Michael was a Jehovah’s Witness, and they made him put that in, as a belief in the occult was against their religion.

by Anonymousreply 155September 27, 2019 6:32 AM

The director of Metropolis was Fritz Lang, not Fritz Land.

It’s one of the most visually beautiful films I’ve ever seen and definitely worth a look. It’s in the public domain now.

You can see why Queen used it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156September 27, 2019 6:50 AM

The Bells - Fly Little White Dove Fly

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157September 27, 2019 7:14 AM

Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds - Don't Pull Your Love

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158September 27, 2019 7:22 AM

A Lover's Concerto by Jane Morgan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159September 27, 2019 7:25 AM

Charity Brown - Take Me In Your Arms

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160September 27, 2019 7:28 AM

Dancin' On A Saturday Night

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161September 27, 2019 7:35 AM

They're a modern band with a late 50s/early 60s sound: The Bees. Anything from the cd Free the Bees is great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162September 27, 2019 7:41 AM

Oh, yes. Jane Morgan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163September 27, 2019 12:34 PM

Aside from the references to dope and booze, this sounds to me like a 50s Disney villain's song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164September 28, 2019 12:48 AM

How could you mention Eartha Kitt and not mention this?

“Santa Baby” was originally recorded by Eartha Kitt, who had a huge success with it. The song implies that the singer is an extremely greedy, materialistic mistress of some rich guy, reeling off her shopping list - jewels, furs and cars. Christmas isn’t really the theme. Madonna did a cover of it. She’s the only other person I can think of that could pull this off.

Eartha Kitt was an early crossover black performer and starred as the Catwoman in the original Batman TV series.

Eartha re-recorded several other versions of this song later. I don’t know what this is from, but it’s pretty cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165September 29, 2019 5:06 PM

Eartha Kitt was one of a kind. I was fortunate to see her perform live on three separate occasions. And she certainly made them occasions. She was one of the best I have ever seen when it comes to working an audience.

And she could work a camera, too. Here she proves that if the performer is good enough, a lot of editing is not only unnecessary, it is unthinkable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166September 29, 2019 5:46 PM

Since I Don't Have You by The Skyliners. It was written by the band members. It wasn't even a top ten hit when it was released, but it has become a classic since then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167September 29, 2019 5:57 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168September 29, 2019 6:02 PM

Data Lounge's own Cilla Black. HUGE star in the UK. She's always good for a listen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169September 29, 2019 6:05 PM

R167! classic song "since i don't have you" by the skyliners... and art garfunkel did a moving beautiful remake of it as well... both versions are superb!..

by Anonymousreply 170September 29, 2019 6:30 PM

Crazy Love - Poco. Written and sung by Rusty Young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171September 29, 2019 6:51 PM

OP, check out Eric Burdon and the Animals. They were part of the British Invasion, a time when British bands hit the American airwaves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172September 30, 2019 2:50 AM

Sorry! I started hearing more of Gladys Knight's work and now for the past two weeks I had been down the rabbit hole of Gladys Knight, Aretha and Whitney songs. I have resumed listening to songs suggested here again.

R47 I left my heart by Tony Bennett is a wonderful song! 😍 added to my playlist. How is his work with Lady gaga? I have heard the song with Amy Winehouse and loved it. The songs with Gaga I avoided like a plague when they came out for some reason, I am open to hearing them now so let me know please.

Here's the song with Amy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173October 21, 2019 4:23 AM

A great duet from Roy Orbison and KD Lang

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174October 21, 2019 5:32 AM

The Vogues - You're The One

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175October 21, 2019 5:46 AM

Dusty Springfield - Auf Dich nur wart ich Immerzu

I know most of you have been looking for years for Dusty singing "I Only Want To Be With You" in German.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176October 21, 2019 6:07 AM

Art Garfunkel - I Only Have Eyes For You. This song is a classic, recorded by many artists. I think this is the best version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177October 21, 2019 7:25 AM

art garfunkel's remakes of "i only have eyes for you" and " since i don't have you" are beyond beautiful and moving.. what a great voice he had..

by Anonymousreply 178October 21, 2019 5:01 PM

Here. How it should be done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179October 21, 2019 5:46 PM

Theme from Picnic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180October 22, 2019 10:32 AM

About Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett, he said she was very professional and prepared for their recording session, and they hit it off. The chemistry between the two is palpable. He described her arriving for the session in a long limousine wearing an evening gown, dressed to the nines. I think he enjoyed that she was paying him, and the session, the proper respect. Very old school. I was surprised that she seemed to be a knowledgeable, capable jazz performer. In an earlier era, I think she would have been a jazz performer.

A retired musician I know said musicians often listen to jazz, regardless of the genre they perform. It has to do with enjoying the musicianship of the people that play jazz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181October 22, 2019 12:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!