Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why was Eleanor Roosevelt. considered a great ugly?

Were beauty standards different back then or were people blinded by the flashy clothes she was wearing? The woman was a handsome woman and had a low hanging bosom and teeth that stuck out.

by Anonymousreply 31September 20, 2019 5:14 PM

She identified as beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2019 10:36 AM

I don't understand OP's typing.

by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2019 10:41 AM

Why is the sky blue?

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2019 10:42 AM

She was not attractive and she knew it. It pained her. The thing is Roosevelt was climbing aboard regularly... didn't they have five kids or something? Then again, it's not the face you fuck, but the fuck you face.

by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2019 10:48 AM

Oh now I see. This is a joke copy of the Jackie O thread. Good work OP.

I dislike DL's Kennedy Stans.

by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2019 11:52 AM

I bet Eleanor is the mother of Caroline Kennedy. All brains / no looks, both of them

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2019 2:56 PM

At least she didn't have embarassing hair.

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2019 3:04 PM

Eleanor Roosevelt back in the day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2019 3:10 PM

A little Kelly McGillis around the eyes.

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2019 3:11 PM

A quote:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2019 3:12 PM

Another quote:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2019 3:14 PM

She was a lesbian and had lesbionic fashion sense.

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2019 3:45 PM

She was considered to be attractive when she was young, with her amazing blonde hair and big blue eyes. Even her cunty cousin Alice said something like "She was all right, if only her horrible grandmother had had her teeth fixed she'd have been beautiful".

But of course, to age well, one needs good bone structure. Good coloring will only get you so far.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2019 5:00 PM

Mrs. Roosevelt was a real proto-feminist: she wanted to achieve things by dint of her brain and her energy and her conscience rather than by dint of her appearance.

Sara Delano Roosevelt, FDR's mom, mostly disapproved of her at the beginning of the marriage (and criticized her looks), but even she came to greatly value Eleanor. Eleanor achieved things almost no other First Lady did: she was the US ambassador to the UN, for heaven's sake, in an era when such positions were not given to women, and she was good at it, too. I think Hillary Clinton is the only other First Lady who achieved so much politically (and no, Jackie's redecoration of the White House is not an equivalent).

by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2019 5:09 PM

After Franklin was diagnosed with paralysis, Eleanor became known for her deep knee bends.

by Anonymousreply 15September 17, 2019 5:51 PM

r15

Eleanor was complicit in the cover-up, so her status is questionable.

by Anonymousreply 16September 18, 2019 2:25 PM

I'm undetectable!

by Anonymousreply 17September 18, 2019 2:33 PM

Well, let me tell you one thing about Richard E. Nixon. He knows how to keep his wife, Pat, home. Roosevelt could never do that with Eleanor. She was always out on the loose. Running around with the coloreds. Tellin' 'em they was gettin' the short end of the stick. She was the one who discovered the coloreds in this country; we never knew they was there!

by Anonymousreply 18September 19, 2019 3:59 PM

R14, Eleanor Roosevelt was unrivaled as a first lady. In my mind, only Michelle Obama is close to her (and as much as I like, it's not THAT close at all). She was even more forward-thinking than her husband, especially when it came to racism and discrimination.

by Anonymousreply 19September 19, 2019 5:08 PM

As FDR wasn't able to do a lot in public, because he needed to maintain the illusion of passable health, so Eleanor became the public face of the Roosevelt presidency. She was the one who met with interest groups, who visited coal mines and ghettos, who talked to ordinary people and listened to their hopes and concerns.

They were leading very separate lives by the time they got to the White House and can't have been very fond of each other by then, but FDR always listened intently to what Eleanor had to say about meeting the regular people he was isolated from.

by Anonymousreply 20September 19, 2019 8:59 PM

I think if Eleanor were around today, she would be an out and proud bulldyke.

by Anonymousreply 21September 19, 2019 9:02 PM

Eleanor was rich. Very rich. At the time of her marriage, her income which came from trust funds and investments was almost ten times the amount of her husband's. Anyone with money like that would be considered beautiful even if they had a hunched back and only one eye.

by Anonymousreply 22September 19, 2019 11:39 PM

No wonder FDR cheated on her. She was hideous.

by Anonymousreply 23September 20, 2019 12:45 AM

Eleanor was a Teddy Roosevelt?

by Anonymousreply 24September 20, 2019 2:56 PM

She was a dyke, dykes don't care what they look like

by Anonymousreply 25September 20, 2019 3:06 PM

Patricia Cornwell's plastic surgery says otherwise. Ditto Lily Tomlin's wife.

by Anonymousreply 26September 20, 2019 3:32 PM

Oof. Shades of Joan Rivers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 20, 2019 3:33 PM

Does she have any great grandchildren gallivanting around?

by Anonymousreply 28September 20, 2019 4:11 PM

Eleanor was butt-ugly but, being a Lesbyterian, looks did not matter at all!

by Anonymousreply 29September 20, 2019 4:23 PM

The older Eleanor was, yes, hideous.....so what? I'd love to have known her, I bet YOU'D love to have known her, and she was one of the very, very few people that Gore Vidal liked, even--dare one say it?--loved.

by Anonymousreply 30September 20, 2019 4:56 PM

"Eleanor was a Teddy Roosevelt? "

Eleanor was from that branch of the Teddy Roosevelt family, she was Teddy's niece.

If that's what you meant to ask.

by Anonymousreply 31September 20, 2019 5:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!