Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Christopher Eccleston reveals he is 'lifelong anorexic'

[quote]The actor Christopher Eccleston has spoken for the first time about his poor mental health, revealing that he has lived with eating disorders and had considered suicide. The Doctor Who actor was praised by charities for his bravery, after writing in his forthcoming autobiography that he was “a lifelong body hater”.

[quote]“Many times I’ve wanted to reveal that I’m a lifelong anorexic and dysmorphic,” he wrote in I Love the Bones of You. “I never have. I always thought of it as a filthy secret, because I’m northern, because I’m male and because I’m working class. People love the way I look in that series, but I was very ill. The reward for that illness was the part. And therein lies the perpetuation of the whole sorry situation.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 28, 2020 6:27 PM

I always thought he was hot. Now I feel a bit guilty he was suffering all that time.

by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2019 8:27 PM

This is sad. I loved him in The Leftovers.

by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2019 8:34 PM

Sadly R2 he hated leftovers.

by Anonymousreply 3September 16, 2019 8:37 PM

I would polish his sonic screwdriver all day long.

by Anonymousreply 4September 16, 2019 8:38 PM

Sexy man. He needs to see a Doctor.

by Anonymousreply 5September 16, 2019 8:52 PM

Shame. I loved the way he stalked through [italic]Elizabeth[/italic] as Norfolk, even if it wasn't period appropriate. I've always found him hot.

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2019 8:54 PM

He was always very gaunt. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that gauntness was supported by disordered eating.

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2019 9:10 PM

He's a very sexy man with just his gaze and the intensity of his performances. Terrificly sad that he's not well, emotionally and physically. I hope by admitting those things, he'll find peace and get help.

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2019 3:04 AM

I suspect a lot of actors we discuss here are the same way. An actor who wants leading roles has to either be steroid-big or Fassbender-thin, the pressure to have an extreme physique is worse for women, but male actors feel it too.

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2019 5:18 AM

r9 Charlie Hunnam said in an interview that when he was coming up the default body for "handsome leading man" type role was Brad Pitt in Fight Club. And he's friends with Brad Pitt.

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2019 5:52 AM

Chris is sexy.

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2019 6:18 AM

Fugly with a big nose. Don't get me started on the stanksleeve.

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2019 6:58 AM

The big nose is what makes him attractive TBH.

by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2019 7:07 AM

Hope he rolls back on all the shit he gave RTD and Doctor Who now

by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2019 7:12 AM

He was a little chubby in that Lennon movie he went naked for a few years ago.

Put down the fork, man!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 17, 2019 7:19 AM

Sexy AF, period.

by Anonymousreply 16September 17, 2019 7:39 AM

[quote]Hope he rolls back on all the shit he gave RTD and Doctor Who now

Why the fuck should he? He gave no shit to Doctor Who, just to Russell T Davis who didn't have control of the disorganised new BBC centre in Cardiff tried to get the inexperienced cast and crew to work in late hoping they would follow Eccleston's lead if he offered to take one for the team. He refused and was effectively written out.

by Anonymousreply 17September 17, 2019 7:52 AM

His perfomance in Cracker was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2019 8:02 AM

R17 ...has never been on a set

by Anonymousreply 19September 17, 2019 8:03 AM

I have known several anorexic and bulimic male models. Men obviously feel the pressure too. But no one speaks about it as I feel it’s still seen as a taboo and weakness. I am glad that he’s spoken up about this and I hope he continues to heal.

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2019 8:07 AM

r19 Go masturbate to some other shitty RTD show and sit the fuck down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2019 8:11 AM

R20 Not taboo and weak. Boring and weak

by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2019 8:11 AM

The first series of Doctor Who was absolute chaos though. It wasn’t standard long hours, it was things like calling all the main cast for a night shoot in London (from their base in Cardiff) and not even using most of them at all, wrapping them the next morning without having left their trailers, just through being disorganised.

by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2019 8:12 AM

His run was far less successful than David Tennant's, so he did everyone involved a favor.

by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2019 8:15 AM

His run was far less successful than David Tennant's, so he did everyone involved a favor.

by Anonymousreply 25September 17, 2019 8:15 AM

Exactly r23

[quote]Just to pick up on something Adam Purcell said much earlier in this thread, I suspect an awful lot of the reasons that Eccleston left the series had to do with the way the production was being run. Bear in mind that it was the first season of a ‘new’ Doctor Who and what they were trying to do was hugely ambitious at the time. The budget wasn’t very huge, the schedule was barely sufficient and it was being shot in South Wales where most of the people involved had never worked on anything like it. This would certainly include a few of the directors, who were largely unfamiliar with the technical demands of the series, which is one of the reasons, as Adam Purcell pointed out earlier, that the first block fell so far behind. And once you fall behind, it’s damn near impossible to catch up. The result is very long hours for the cast and crew, who if they were getting BBC Wales rates were already below BBC London rates, which in turn were below industry standard. I know Eccleston felt very strongly that the crew was often getting a raw deal, and if I recall correctly, he refused to continue working on a day that was going to go into the night. He wasn’t being precious; he just thought if he went home, they would have to release the crew because they couldn’t shoot without him, but I believe they just went ahead and shot with Billie Piper, who didn’t have Eccleston’s clout, plus they basically preyed on her good nature and told her she would be letting everybody down if she didn’t stay. It’s not surprising that Eccleston saw the writing on the wall and (quite wisely) decided to leave. I find it hugely ironic that when the BBC did their big press launch in Cardiff for the new series, Ecccleston had already quit but he had to sit there in front of a packed crowd of journalists and keep it all a secret. I was actually sitting in the front row about three feet in front of him and if he wasn’t happy, you wouldn’t have known it. A class act from beginning to end.

Publically discussing his mental health issues isn't going to make Eccleston backtack on Davies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2019 8:16 AM

Thanx R18 for the reminder. Brilliant series Cracker.

by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2019 8:19 AM

I first saw him probably the best episode of Inspector Morse. He played a simple, former teen child killer complete with floppy hair and an RP accent.

by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2019 8:22 AM

There was also the issue of Black bullying crew and extras and not abiding by safety regulations when doing stunts.

by Anonymousreply 29September 17, 2019 8:39 AM

R27 And Jude.

And yes, I have heard Christ bitching for a decade and a half about RTD and Who. Did he go in eyes closed? A new show, and basically new everything production company in fucking Wales. It was never going to be a 'Rose' garden. And for all the issues the show was a huge hit and fucking amazingly good and look was it has produced. Thanks, alot to Chris

He worked well with RTD before Who, the Jesus show is great, but he has worked constantly, CONSTANTLY, since Who, (bullshit blacklist comment), I never get his attitude.

I remember on the National 50th anniversary show. He seemed so earnest, yet emotionally bizarre. Actors, never date them

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2019 8:43 AM

Sorry that should be “Boak” bullying. Autocorrected to Black without me noticing.

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2019 8:53 AM

So this guy is getting publicity because of some illness.

Just like that Welsh footballer is also getting publicity because of some illness.

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2019 9:11 AM

I remember feeling his body looked fantastic in Jude the Obscure (and I'm a lesbian). He was very good in that film, too. It's very painful to imagine how unhappy he must have been all his life. From where I stood it looked like he had a very healthy lifestyle - I completely believed he took care of his body, when really he made it suffer.

by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2019 9:15 AM

Absolutely gorgeous man and a fucking FANTASTIC actor.

I have rarely ever thought of men suffering from this specific dysmorphia, since it’s such a traditionally female centric mental illness. But it makes sense in the way that we currently witness a proliferation of Male to Female Gender Dysmorphia, which I will guess is more common than Female to Male Dysmorphia. There’s also a specific Dysmorphia where the person experiences an obsession with removing a limb from their body, such as a leg, which is the most commonly reported, unnecessary limb, that these particular types of body dysmorphics tend to focus on.

Personally, I know a MTF who had been obsessed with cutting off all of his fingers from the time he was a small child, until he finally walked into his mother’s kitchen, where she was preparing a family dinner, grabbed a butcher knife, and just like that, he chopped off his pinky, ring finger, middle finger, the index, and the tip of his thumb, all in one chop on the wooden block used for the slicing & dicing of veggies, not multiple human phalanges!!! And he did this BEFORE the appetizers! This is how he tells the story. His words, not mine.

Almost immediately after satisfying that obsession, he developed the idea that he did not belong in his body. As he describes it, he felt that the barbaric chopping off of the fingers opened him up to a deeper truth: he was a woman!

He spent the next 10 years surgically altering his body, ultimately removing his penis/testes with a licensed, Gender Reassignment surgeon.

While females overwhelmingly account for eating disorders that originate specifically from body dysmorphia, as well as eating disorders without any presentation of dysmorphia, men who are also afflicted, overwhelmingly present with the desire to remove a body part or parts. Interestingly enough, most men afflicted with limb removal dysmorphia, & who actually succeed in removing said limb, express a deep satisfaction, and even a sense of peace, once they accomplish their goal. There are rare exceptions, in that the psychiatric community have come across body dysmorphics who seek to modify their bodies pathologically, such as the fellow I described earlier.

Dysmorphia truly is as much a fascinating condition to the observer, and devastating to the point of fundamental existence to the afflicted. I can’t imagine what it feels like to look in the mirror and not feel whole, because I have two legs instead of one. And that’s not me passing moral judgment on people who have this form of mental illness, coupled with a specific and pathological OCD.

He’s fortunate to have the ability to focus on a career and produce top notch work. Most people who are consumed with a dysmorphia cannot function normally in the long term and are rendered disabled if not treated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2019 9:20 AM

R34 ....and they say trannys aren't mad.

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2019 9:23 AM

Maybe he could thinspire James Corden.

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2019 9:24 AM

R35, it’s insane and 100% true. That’s why I don’t judge trans. Some are narcissistic cunts who seek attention, yet some really are incapable of feeling connected to their bodies, and become obsessed with surgically altering it, in order to relieve the symptoms caused by the dysmorphia. They genuinely cannot help it. It’s not their fault. This is precisely why I feel that the medical community may be causing great harm to those whose dysmorphia does not resolve after the surgical gender reassignment. For certain dysmorphics, particularly those suffering from Gender Dysmorphia, suffering from this mental illness is just like suffering most mental illnesses, a life long deal. Surgery does NOT cure it. You can treat it, you can manage it, but you cannot cure it, yet.

I predict that we will see an increase in suicides from MtFs and FtMs in the US in the coming 10-20 years. I’m actually now interested in the suicide rates of trans in Brazil and East Asia, as a baseline.

by Anonymousreply 37September 17, 2019 9:41 AM

I transferred the ebook of his memoir “I Love the Bones of You: My Father and the Making of Me” from my computer to the Send To Kindle app and the title truncated to I Love the Bones of You: My Fat.

I’m so sorry Chris!

by Anonymousreply 38September 19, 2019 10:41 PM

[bold]Christopher Eccleston: ‘How often do I have sex? It’s not been a vintage year'[/bold]

[quote][bold]What was your most embarrassing moment?[/bold]

[quote]Trapping my foreskin in the zip of my corduroy jeans when I was 14 and having my brother Keith release it; it took two hours. I was in an agony of existential embarrassment because, shortly before my brother came in, I’d been doing what teenage boys do and was surprised, pulled the zip up and nearly circumcised myself. I bear the scar to this day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 5, 2019 10:32 AM

[quote]He was a little chubby in that Lennon movie he went naked for a few years ago. Put down the fork, man!

Um, no. His body looks great, R15. He's NOT an American homosexual.

by Anonymousreply 40October 5, 2019 10:48 AM

Agreed, not chubby at all. That poster must be an Insta addict with a warped perspective.

by Anonymousreply 41October 5, 2019 10:50 AM

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 42February 12, 2020 2:05 PM

I remember him from that movie Shallow Grave with a young Ewan McGregor.

I wonder if Chris and Ewan ever docked their stank sleeves together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43February 12, 2020 2:19 PM

He still giving interviews promoting the book and it seems like a bad idea to relive that shit with every other journalist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44February 12, 2020 5:57 PM

Note that subsequent Doctors David Tennant, Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi were all rail-thin. Capaldi has said he had trouble getting work when he was "fat," i.e. normal weight.

by Anonymousreply 45February 12, 2020 8:25 PM

He was so handsome in Elizabeth. He was excellent in the Leftovers.

by Anonymousreply 46February 12, 2020 8:49 PM

LOL r3

by Anonymousreply 47July 28, 2020 6:09 PM

[Quote] it seems like a bad idea to relive that shit with every other journalist.

You're only as sick as your secrets.

by Anonymousreply 48July 28, 2020 6:11 PM

Posting from Slovenia About a Local Primary was such a prolific poster. Did Muriel fuck up banning him?

by Anonymousreply 49July 28, 2020 6:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!