Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Family" 1976-1980

Found a used box set of Seasons 1 and 2 and started watching. I never watched when it was originally on.

Who the hell is Sada Thomson? She didn't have that many IMDb credits.

How was the show received? Was it watched or not?

by Anonymousreply 437March 14, 2020 12:34 PM

Everybody loved it, OP. I know I did.

It was very edgy for its time.

by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2019 5:32 PM

Wasn’t there a “very special episode” where the blond brother’s friend moves back and he’s all awkward because they used to fool around and now said friend is actual homosexual? I kinda remember that but it’s hazy

by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2019 5:36 PM

It's a terrific show. There have been a few amusing threads over the years in which every arcane detail of the program is analyzed, in true DL fashion:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 16, 2019 5:42 PM

Sada Thompson was primarily a theater actress.

by Anonymousreply 4September 16, 2019 5:53 PM

R2. Yes. Willie’s childhood friend comes home from college and is arrested at a gay bar. The friend is 1970s hot as hell. The dad represents him as his lawyer. The gay guys parents kick him out and he comes to live for a few weeks w the family. Willie has a tough time but accepts him. Buddy has a crush on him and he has to explain to her that he is gay (the irony!!!). He was so fucking hot. I tried to find a pic. Will keep trying.

by Anonymousreply 5September 16, 2019 5:59 PM

Brian Byers was the actor who played Willie's friend Zeke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2019 6:07 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2019 6:14 PM

The original Betty the Loon.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2019 6:16 PM

Didn't Sada Thompson win multiple Emmys for the show?

It was so interesting because she was so much like the mother in "Ordinary People"--frosty, disapproving, obsessed with keeping up her house--and yet she was the big hero of the series. Her character was rarely ever wrong.

It's funny looking at old clips of it now because Buddy was SO unbelievably dykey, and yet it's never acknowledged on the show that she's anything other than a tomboy. I mean, Kristy McNichol even WALKS in a very masculine way, like she's got a big dick dangling between her legs.

by Anonymousreply 9September 16, 2019 6:17 PM

It's striking she played Betty the Loon, the almost archetypal Borderline Personality Disorder character, since Kate was the sanest character of all time.

by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2019 6:19 PM

Sada won an Emmy in '78 and gave a super-classy acceptance speech.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 16, 2019 6:20 PM

Kristy was a doll, r9!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 16, 2019 6:25 PM

One of her characters from TWIGS.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 16, 2019 6:28 PM

This is the Willie's Friend is Gay episode.

Kind of unbelievable this aired on network TV in 1977.

It was intended to be the season premiere, but ABC freaked and pushed it back to the week of Christmas break. But at least they aired it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 16, 2019 6:31 PM

If you’re not finding it to be enough of a downer, listen to the supremely depressing theme music from the first season, which I think was a short run of maybe six episodes and pre-Meredith Baxter Birney:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2019 6:35 PM

Huh. I don't think I've seen Carol Burnett's TWIGS since it first aired. Couldn't find it on Youtube.

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2019 6:39 PM

Thompson wasn't the original Beatrice, The play premiered in Houston in 1965 and had regional productions before opening Off-Broadway with Thompson in 1970. Eileen Heckart played Beatrice in a TV adaptation in 1966.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2019 6:41 PM

WHET Gary Frank?

by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2019 6:45 PM

Thanks R5. I think I watched it on YouTube. In my memory from the 70s Willie has fooled around with Zeke. But I do t think that happened. Does the Dad talk about having a crush is normal or is my brain confusing it with Call Me By Your Name?

by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2019 6:46 PM

Cheryl Ladd was up for the part that Meredith Baxter Birney got. Thats how Aaron remembered her for "Charlies Angels" She didin't have to audition..

by Anonymousreply 20September 16, 2019 6:52 PM

R15 Was MBB a replacement for the daughter actress or added in later as another character? Perhaps I didn’t watch it from the start as I don’t remember her showing up late.

by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2019 6:52 PM

Yeah, R19, one of the remarkable things about that episode is that the dad sat Willie down and confessed to having a gay crush when he was a boy.

by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2019 6:55 PM

The first Nancy was played by Elayne Heilveil in the six-episode miniseries that aired in spring 1977. Her character was a drip and doormat and not appealing.

ABC network head Fred Silverman demanded a replacement. Pretty blonde Cheryl Ladd auditioned but lost out to pretty blonde Jane Actman. After several episodes were shot, Silverman said she wasn't working out — pretty blonde Nancy needed to be older. So he offered the job to Meredith Baxter Birney (from Bridget Loves Birney, which he developed at CBS) without the producers' knowledge.

MBB had to come in and reshoot all of Jane Actman's scenes, keeping the same tone and inflection, so they could be dropped into those episodes.

by Anonymousreply 23September 16, 2019 6:59 PM

I found Sada Thompson cold, dull. Didn't care for her at all.

I found Buddy (Kristy McNichol) the most watchable. It did however have a very young Willie Aames as Buddy's first crush. Woof !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2019 7:04 PM

Willie Aames had a nice Speedo bulge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2019 7:12 PM

I loved Sada Thompson. She acted with her face. When they had close-ups of her, you could read exactly what was on her mind.

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2019 7:45 PM

R24 Yuck, I couldn't stand that mother either. I was 9 when that show came out and felt really sorry for Buddy with her ugly and boring old mother and a grandpa for a dad. I think I knew Kristy was gay back then. Definitely by the time Little Darlings came out. We all knew Kristy was gay.

by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2019 7:53 PM

I was disgusted by Sada Thompson's little baked bean teeth.

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2019 8:00 PM

Wllie Aames wasn't in "Family." He was in the similar but far less prestigious show "Eight is Enough."

by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2019 8:01 PM

r15, that theme music for the original mini-series was composed by John Rubinstein, who played Nancy's ex-husband Jeff Maitland. The son of the famed virtuoso pianist Arthur Rubsinstein, he is musically gifted--but the show's producers decided (rightly) that the music he composed was too depressing for the show.

He's a good actor--I saw him on Broadway in "Children of a Lesser God" nearly forty years ago. He's still around, too--a very nice guy.

I have to give them credit--they changed the weakest parts of the original mini-series (the theme music and Elayne Heilveil) when they turned it into a series, and the show was much better for it. It still was a little gloomy as family dramas go, but it did speak very much to that whole idea of upper-middle class families as pressure cookers, which was such a big theme of that era (book-ended by PBS's "An American Family" and "Ordinary People").

by Anonymousreply 30September 16, 2019 8:07 PM

Willie Aames was in Family. He played Buddy's boyfriend before he went on to Eight Is Enough.

by Anonymousreply 31September 16, 2019 8:09 PM

I hated that show but never missed it. Was it me or did the mother seem cold and distant from her kids??

by Anonymousreply 32September 16, 2019 8:10 PM

John Rubinstein was hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 16, 2019 8:11 PM

r17 a "friend"and coworker at a Gay disco we worked at, Lori Shelle, was in that run of Gamma Rays. She moved on to play Gracie for a while on Guiding Light

by Anonymousreply 34September 16, 2019 8:14 PM

OP, I saw a Soap box set last week at a thrift store and almost bought it, are you in Boston?

by Anonymousreply 35September 16, 2019 8:18 PM

What was up with that Aiden Quin girl? She was creepy and had dark holes for eyes.

by Anonymousreply 36September 16, 2019 8:24 PM

You're both wrong- Willie Aames WAS a recurring character on Family and it WAS during the same time he was a regular on Eight is Enough.

by Anonymousreply 37September 16, 2019 8:41 PM

John Rubinstein was also in "Zachariah, The First Electric Western." Saw that one in college

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 16, 2019 8:42 PM

Well, it would appear that Miss Judith Lowry was involved early on, r17.

by Anonymousreply 39September 16, 2019 8:44 PM

They have their share of really stupid episodes. Miss Sada goes to look at some new condos downtown. (Like she's ever going to leave that house she lives in now). Through some unfortunate accident, she gets locked into the show apartment and of course it's the weekend, so nobody will be back until Monday. And I think she's locked in with a pregnant woman, so she gets plenty of airtime to give long, thought out discussions of family life.

by Anonymousreply 40September 16, 2019 9:01 PM

I'm an eldergay and I remember watching that episode about Willie's gay friend in a gay bar and we laughed our asses off. Nobody remembered a gay bar being raided since Stonewall.

by Anonymousreply 41September 16, 2019 9:09 PM

God that sounds excruciating R40.

by Anonymousreply 42September 16, 2019 9:09 PM

And the pregnant woman was the chick from True Grit.

by Anonymousreply 43September 16, 2019 9:18 PM

[quote] What was up with that Aiden Quin girl?

Gurrrrrrlllll...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44September 16, 2019 9:24 PM

This is the episode where Kate gets locked in the model apartment with the pregnant woman.

During a moment of crisis, Kate gets a dramatic monologue where she unpacks her feelings about all of her children.

Sada Thompson does a good job, of course, and this was the season she won the Emmy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 16, 2019 9:30 PM

r36, I think you meant Quinn Cummings, who was a late addition to the cast. She played Annie, a girl whose parents were the Lawrences' best friends killed in a car crash, and the Lawrences took her in.

She was an odd child actress, best known aside from "Family" for "The Goodbye Girl," for which she was nominated for an Oscar as Best Supporting Actress. She was strangely precocious and troll-like as a child (which was very much the style for child actors in the 70s--compare Mason Reese and Moosie Dreier), but became reasonably attractive once she hit adolescence. She also decided then to phase out of acting because she didn't like growing up having her face being so well-known. She invented a sling-type device for carrying a baby next to your chest called the Hip-Hugger, for which I think she ultimately made a lot of money. She is now a writer and an advocate of home-schooling (though i think she is not a religious person).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 16, 2019 9:32 PM

Related thread.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 16, 2019 9:37 PM

[quote]I found Sada Thompson cold, dull. Didn't care for her at all.

Sada always looked constipated to me.

by Anonymousreply 48September 16, 2019 10:16 PM

John Rubinstein played the title role in the original Broadway cast of "Pippin." He has also played the Wizard in various productions of "Wicked."

by Anonymousreply 49September 16, 2019 10:19 PM

Sada played Mrs. Coyne in Juno.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 16, 2019 10:22 PM

Lindsey Wagner beat Sada one year at the Emmys.

by Anonymousreply 51September 16, 2019 10:56 PM

Family's ratings were never spectacular, but they were decent for a while. It was becoming a hit, and the network ruined it.

1975-76: #34

1976-77: #39

1977-78: #26

1978-79: #52

1979-80: #65

Their highest-rated season was the third — right before ABC told the producers to juice up the show by adding orphan Annie and a bunch of sexy plots: Willie fucks Shelley Long and Kate gets pissed, Willie fucks Stephanie Zimbalist and nobody cares, Nancy's new boss wants to fuck her. This was also the season Buddy learned disco, befriended an athlete losing his leg to cancer, and won a history contest over a classmate who then committed suicide.

It was moved to Thursday night and the ratings tanked. The critics hated it, and that was the only season Family wasn't nominated for a Best Drama Emmy. It was renewed for one more short season, and the quality improved, but it was ovah.

by Anonymousreply 52September 16, 2019 10:59 PM

The show would just not be as memorable without the episode where Buddy becomes the disco queen. That and the episodes with Willy's gay friend and Kate's prophetic dream about killing the child are the three episodes everyone remembers.

by Anonymousreply 53September 16, 2019 11:16 PM

Sada starred with Richard Thomas in "Andre's Mother". She played the cold, frosty mother of Richard's partner, who died of AIDS. It was quite moving.

by Anonymousreply 54September 16, 2019 11:21 PM

r50 I never miss a Melvyn Douglas musical.

by Anonymousreply 55September 16, 2019 11:21 PM

"Family" was Aaron Spelling's "classy" counterpart to the rest of the trash he produced.

by Anonymousreply 56September 16, 2019 11:22 PM

The weirdest thing about "Family" was it propelled Kristy McNichol to be a major teen star in the late 70s. Why? Was she the lesbian teenage icon the US had been waiting for? Why was there a "Buddy" doll but not a "Nancy" doll (much less a "Kate" doll)? To whom did she appeal?

by Anonymousreply 57September 16, 2019 11:25 PM

It didn't help that Miss Sada gained 20 pounds and lost half her hair during the run.

by Anonymousreply 58September 16, 2019 11:35 PM

I remember watching it fully in syndication when I was a teen in the mid 80s. I really love this show. They felt like a real family. Makes you feel old when people like op don’t know who certain respected actors are. Sada was a Tony and Emmy winning actress op, so do your homework or turn in your gay card.

by Anonymousreply 59September 17, 2019 12:01 AM

At R11, there was a weirdly long delay between Henry Winkler announcing Miss Sada as the Emmy winner and when she finally hauled it onstage. The band played almost the entire theme song. Was she in the can or something?

by Anonymousreply 60September 17, 2019 12:05 AM

R9 Thompson only won once along with Gary Frank. McNichol won twice r57 if you are old enough to remember, Kristy was everywhere in the late 70s and deserved both her wins. She played the girl next door to the hilt and competed with men and won on the battle of the network stars at the time. She even did records with her brother Jimmy.

by Anonymousreply 61September 17, 2019 12:14 AM

I always wanted to eat Kristy McNichol's wet dripping cunt!

by Anonymousreply 62September 17, 2019 12:16 AM

As a young gayling I was enthralled by our Miss Sada Thompson. Having seen her in Our Town and By the Skin of Our Teeth on PBS, she was the epitome of New York Theatre to me before I ever saw a play in New York. She was who I held the Merlys and the Glenns up to as my actorly yard stick. And no, I’m not spouting hyperbole, I’m am deadly serious. She was the one true actress on TV for me in the 70s. And she was not outshone until Vanessa Redgrave and Jane Alexander did Playing for a Time in 1980.

by Anonymousreply 63September 17, 2019 12:21 AM

I wanted to eat Jimmy McNichol’s ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 17, 2019 12:21 AM

Sada Thompson was cast as Irene Lorenzo on All in the Family. She worked a few days, but wasn't getting along with Carroll O'Connor, so she begged off and was replaced by Betty Garrett.

I think she was a fine actress. Kate had a wry sense of humor on the show. Even as a kid (I was 8 in 1978) I enjoyed that about her.

My God. I had the BIGGEST crush on Kristy McNichol. I was in LOVE with her. We had a babysitter named (I kid you not) Liz who looked like her. I would always ask "Are we gonna have LIZ tonight??" when my folks were going out. I can still smell the Bubble Yum.

When I was a kid, I had a learning disability. I got pulled out of the school I was in, and put in another school slightly out of town who could deal with it better. Once, Liz brought a friend over. I explained to Liz how it was my first week at a new school. She asked why and I said "Well, the other school is a special school" which was what my mom had told me.

The next day, I said to my mom "Hey, I told Liz and her friend I was going to a special school, and they laughed." I remember catching this quick look of about to cry on my mom's face. She quickly got rid of it. "Don't pay any attention to them."

Thinking of this, I feel very guilty for making my mom so sad like that. I honestly had no idea at the time why Liz laughed, and I really wanted it explained. Funny the things you remember. Sorry, mom.

by Anonymousreply 65September 17, 2019 12:25 AM

I'm reposting my entries from the "related thread":

"FAMILY was a wonderful show with a superb acting ensemble that contained some of the finest writing on television at the time. Sure, it occasionally was melodramatic or concerned itself with too many topical "issues" but it maintained its standard of excellence to the end.

I just watched [R208]'s clip (which I've seen a bazillion times) and I'm crying like a little girl (again). When Sada says, "You are going to be...you are...," it's magnificent. The show presented its characters with integrity, intelligence and---good luck finding it on tv today---dignity. Simply beautiful."

by Anonymousreply 66September 17, 2019 12:30 AM

Did not recall Willie Ames on the show, but definitely remembered Leif Garrett! Watch his entrance at 2:42 and check out what Facts of Life future actress he strolls on with. I also swore Lance Kerwin was on the same time he was filming James at 15. His Wikipedia doesn’t mention it, but I did find him on IMDB listed on an episode. So Leif, Willie, Lance and most likely other 70s teen heartthrobs were thrown at Kristy by the producers and she still turned out gay. Maybe she was just secretly getting it on with Jimmy and they couldn’t live up to the stud that he was and being seen as a lesbian was better then incest?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67September 17, 2019 12:38 AM

Decades channel sometimes has weekend marathons, plus YouTube has many episodes. Sada and crew will always live on!

by Anonymousreply 68September 17, 2019 12:56 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69September 17, 2019 12:59 AM

R64, do you want to eat Jimmy McNichol’s ass today?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70September 17, 2019 1:00 AM

Our Town

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 17, 2019 1:03 AM

R70 that doesn’t look like him. This is him probably from the last five years or so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72September 17, 2019 1:04 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 17, 2019 1:09 AM

The Lawrence's certainly were NOT showoffs. The drove Ford Mavericks. They were supposed to be Upper Middle Class. They could have them driving something nicer like a Buick or an Oldsmobile.

by Anonymousreply 74September 17, 2019 1:18 AM

D R A M A

Doug's dad brings home a slut for Christmas!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 17, 2019 2:21 AM

David Jacobs was briefly a head writer for Family before moving on to create Dallas.

Ed Zwick (later of thirtysomething) took over as producer when the original producers left after season 4. His future partner Marshall Herskovitz wrote and directed some episodes. They were only in their late 20s.

by Anonymousreply 76September 17, 2019 2:25 AM

The father in real life was the future father-in-law of one Miss Sarah Jessica Parker. Unfortunately, he died before they met so he never had to endure the agony of seeing his daughter-in-law act like an insipid slut on Kim Cattrall's show.

by Anonymousreply 77September 17, 2019 2:37 AM

R29

Aames was indeed on FAMILY. I didn't say he was one of the stars. Aames played Buddy's love interest on 6 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 78September 17, 2019 3:13 AM

Gary Frank looked like a twink with a mild case of Downs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79September 17, 2019 3:16 AM

R79 yeah but I bet he had sizemeat!

by Anonymousreply 80September 17, 2019 3:19 AM

Even DL fave Tovah Feldshuh appeared on Family.

by Anonymousreply 81September 17, 2019 3:20 AM

Prototype for the Kate Lawrence doll I longed for as a child.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82September 17, 2019 3:32 AM

They should have rebooted it in the 90s with Miss Sada as a grandmother. Kristy's smart ass daughter. Gary's horny son. A soundtrack by The Cranberries.

by Anonymousreply 83September 17, 2019 3:39 AM

Has Kristy written an autobiography? If so I need to read it. F Demi Moore.

by Anonymousreply 84September 17, 2019 3:42 AM

They were all set to do a reunion circa 1985. Sans Doug, natch. It was announced in the Fall Preview Issue of TV Guide and everything. But it was scuttled by MBB's refusal to sign off on a script.

by Anonymousreply 85September 17, 2019 3:55 AM

MBB ruins it for everyone!

by Anonymousreply 86September 17, 2019 4:00 AM

Yes, "Family Reunion" was all set for the 1987-88 season. A script was written that dealt with Kate remarrying. If the ratings were good, ABC wanted to revive the show. TV critics started writing about that in the spring, and it was in the big fall preview articles. They were excited about it.

Then MBB wanted rewrites, which delayed it, the writer's strike hit, and she ultimately killed it.

Gary Frank was PISSED. He gave interviews about that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87September 17, 2019 4:28 AM

Curse you, MBB!

They should have brought in Cheryl Ladd.

From June 1987:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88September 17, 2019 4:31 AM

There's absolutely no truth to the rumor that Elayne Heilveil was too Jewish and turned off viewers in middle America, and that's why she was fired from the show and replaced by Meredith Baxter Birney. Unfortunately, she had a habit of stomping on a glass after every take and it slowed down our production days.

by Anonymousreply 89September 17, 2019 4:38 AM

Blind item: When they rehearsed, the A+ lister was constantly exposing himself to her and masturbating. He made her touch him while he touched her and she says he tried to rape her but finished before he could actually penetrate her.

He tried to get an additional day of shooting alone with her but the network wouldn't pay for it. She says that it was about a 15 hour day and that he was touching her or forcing her to touch him for about 14 hours of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90September 17, 2019 4:47 AM

They REALLY didn't need MBB. As I recall, as the series went on, she was seen less and less. They could've replaced her a la the Betty Buckley/Mary Frann switcheroo on the first Eight is Enough reunion. Hindsight.

by Anonymousreply 91September 17, 2019 4:48 AM

Blind item: Back in the day she was a child actress. Cute and funny and growing up in a time of actors on set where rules were not really followed and behavior could be abhorrent. Despite being just an early teen, our actress was forced to have sex or coerced to have sex with men twice or sometimes three times her age. This was not a one time thing, but a daily thing she had to endure if she wanted to be an actress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92September 17, 2019 4:49 AM

MBB was only in about half the episodes. She said in her autobiography that was the original offer, which is why she could take it, having young kids and a controlling husband.

If you look back at the original 6-episode miniseries, Elayne Heilveil is heavily featured in the first two episodes and then vanishes. I always thought it was like the producers realized, oh shit, we made a mistake with this chick!

Which they did. But ultimately Nancy was like Phyllis on MTM — really a recurring character. A little of her went a long way. She was constantly just in an opening or closing scene, going out of town with Timmy or just coming back.

by Anonymousreply 93September 17, 2019 4:56 AM

Oh dear, R92 — did Gary Frank diddle Kristy McNichol?

Is that why he disappeared?

by Anonymousreply 94September 17, 2019 4:59 AM

From R92:

[quote]There was one older actor she thought she was safe from, but after their third day filming he had her in his dressing room, undressing for him while he pleasured himself. She had to do this at least once a week. There was her co-star who was almost the same age who told her he would get her fired unless they had sex. He also made her try some drugs. This was all like at 12 and 13. Crazy. On one show she was on she was repeatedly molested by a man who later was accused of raping one of his neighbor's children. Apparently since he thought he could get away with it on sets, he also thought the same rules applied in the real world. All you have to do is mention this guy's name or character name to the actress and she will start crying. All of this has affected every day of her life since. It all makes sense what she does now when you think of what happened to her back then.

OH MY. Is this why Kristy hates willie?

by Anonymousreply 95September 17, 2019 5:03 AM

Is it true that the show was created because of An American Family and the Loud family on PBS?

I wasn't old enough to watch Family and appreciate it. I remember my mother watching and, being 6 or 7, I thought it was boring.

I'll have to put a pin in this.

by Anonymousreply 96September 17, 2019 5:04 AM

Yes, basically, An American Family and the Louds were the inspiration.

Spelling-Goldberg hired their friend Jay Presson Allen to write a script, which sat on the shelf until Mike Nichols had to fulfill a production deal with ABC, came across it and said he wanted to do it.

by Anonymousreply 97September 17, 2019 5:09 AM

One of the guesses for R90:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98September 17, 2019 5:12 AM

ABC was very meh in the ratings in 1988-89, and a Family Reunion series probably would have gotten a shitty timeslot on Thursday or Saturday and died quickly. But it would have been nice to see Miss Sada and the house again.

Timmy would have been around Buddy's age at the start of the original series. The problem would be a lack of appealing young adults to get into sexual adventures. But maybe they would have gone full Thirtysomething. I can only assume Annie would be off studying in China or killed in the same gruesome accident that claimed Doug.

Nancy could have been Cheryl Ladd, Lorna Patterson or Shelley Smith, or some other '70s ABC Network Blonde in Career Crisis. Eve Plumb? Shelley Hack?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99September 17, 2019 5:54 AM

Something that was interesting about this show was that they did the opposite of SORAS.

Timmy should have been a rambunctious 6-year-old at the beginning of the last season, but he never said more than two words on the show.

Did he have fetal alcohol syndrome? Was it all the coke Nancy and Jeff did?

by Anonymousreply 100September 17, 2019 8:09 AM

Sada shook her baby Timmy to death and blamed it on cot death. That is why she was so cold. Everyone knew she was a murderess and got away with it and didn't want to be her next victim.

by Anonymousreply 101September 17, 2019 9:33 AM

Kristy McNichol was a lez but Buddy's friend Audrey was even more a lesbian, if that's possible. (Louise Foley)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102September 17, 2019 9:34 AM

Brian Byers, the gay friend was reduced to being on one off shots on Mama's Family (He was on the Jeopardy episode).

He aged very poorly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103September 17, 2019 9:35 AM

The blind says the actress had to work a 15 hour day alone with the A+ Lister. The #1 guess is Kristy McNichol in the ABC Fall Preview with David Copperfield linked above, but after watching the segment, that doesn't seem very likely. She's barely alone with him at all before the Hardy Boys and Rerun come barging in. And would that segment really take 15 hours to rehearse?

by Anonymousreply 104September 17, 2019 10:09 AM

My mom wouldn't let me watch Family, I was 7yo and she thought it was too mature. Yet she let me watch Dallas not long after. Hmm.

by Anonymousreply 105September 17, 2019 11:00 AM

Kristy was busy with Empty Nest at the start of the 1988 tv season. From what I’ve heard, it was supposed to be a TV movie only. Broderick was a cornerstone of the show. I can’t imagine them doing a series without him and McNichol. I would’ve loved to have seen an older Buddy in the TV movie. Fuck MBB.

by Anonymousreply 106September 17, 2019 12:05 PM

McNichol is tiny in the pilot. I can't imagine who would have treated her so horribly. Hollywood is fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 107September 17, 2019 1:30 PM

Anyone who believes that Trump-loving site's completely made up blind items is a gull a BULL.

by Anonymousreply 108September 17, 2019 2:18 PM

As a minor, McNichol couldn't have worked a 15 hour day...

by Anonymousreply 109September 17, 2019 2:28 PM

Kristy McNichol is only a few years younger than David Copperfield.

Also the blind item could be practically anyone working in Hollywood in the pre- MeToo era

by Anonymousreply 110September 17, 2019 2:40 PM

John Rubinstein is still pretty good looking, although his hair is now snow white. He played George Cukor in BETTE AND JOAN!

by Anonymousreply 111September 17, 2019 11:50 PM

R24 I had huge "hetero" crush on Kristy when I was 7/8 years old. Then I saw the episode with Willie Aames and my crush shifted from her to him! That was beginning of my descent into gay infatuations! (and Willie in a speedo on Battle of the Network Stars-- oof!)

by Anonymousreply 112September 18, 2019 12:05 AM

[quote]Then MBB wanted rewrites, which delayed it, the writer's strike hit, and she ultimately killed it.

To be fair, MBB was having the biggest success out of all of them at the time with Family Ties, where she was the highest paid woman on TV thanks to her Favored Nations clause. She had enough clout to change something if she didn't want to do it.

Didn't Mike Nichols produce Family?

by Anonymousreply 113September 18, 2019 12:12 AM

r104 I find it hard to believe that she was on set for 15 hours. That was illegal as she was a minor. Having worked on sets, kids are never alone. If they aren't in front of the camera, they are sent to the tutor's trailer for schooling. Kid actors never stop being busy on a film set. They never have down time. Plus you don't just drop your kid off on a film set. A parent is required to be present the entire time a kid is on set. Every kid actor has to have a parent on set. I know this was 1976, but these rules existed in the 70's.

by Anonymousreply 114September 18, 2019 12:30 AM

[quote] A parent is required to be present the entire time a kid is on set.

Is the parent required to be sober?

by Anonymousreply 115September 18, 2019 12:50 AM

Gary Frank always looked like a tranny to me.

by Anonymousreply 116September 18, 2019 12:58 AM

I always waited for the opening credits featuring MBB. She was absolutely radiant. Only four people have ever surprised me when I learned they were gay: Robert Reed, John Mahoney , Roy Stuart (Cpl. Boyle on "Gomer Pyle") and Meredith Baxter Birney.

by Anonymousreply 117September 18, 2019 1:05 AM

r117, John Mahoney flamed from outer space. Did you ever see "The House of Blue Leaves." It was an excellent production, but you sort of understood why he was trying to get away from his wife and was ecstatic when the movie producer showed up. Mahoney camping it up worked for the role, but he camped the hell out of that role.

by Anonymousreply 118September 18, 2019 1:09 AM

I've always loved Kristy McNichol.Can't imagine anyone of that era who doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 119September 18, 2019 1:14 AM

R116

Gary Frank has Downs Syndrome eyes.

by Anonymousreply 120September 18, 2019 1:27 AM

r120

Yeah he has creepy eyes

by Anonymousreply 121September 18, 2019 1:48 AM

I bought the box set about 10 years ago. What struck me was how gray the coloring. The beautiful garish America of the '70s are going on outside, but this thing chose to be all grays and dreary. Strange...and makes this thing not the nostalgia fest you might be hoping for.

The parents were so dull and righteous.

[quote]My mom wouldn't let me watch Family, I was 7yo and she thought it was too mature.

Tell her from me...she did she right thing.

by Anonymousreply 122September 18, 2019 1:49 AM

Those blinds are MacKenzie Phillips

by Anonymousreply 123September 18, 2019 1:52 AM

[quote] And would that segment really take 15 hours to rehearse?

A magic act, when one of the participants is a magic “outsider”? Yeah. And I’m sure Copperfield had it in his contract that no one else could be at rehearsals to protect the sanctity of his magic secrets. As for parents, the BI says the parents knew and encouraged it as “the price of fame.”

by Anonymousreply 124September 18, 2019 2:26 AM

[quote]Only four people have ever surprised me when I learned they were gay: Robert Reed, John Mahoney , Roy Stuart (Cpl. Boyle on "Gomer Pyle") and Meredith Baxter Birney.

Did you forget someone?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125September 18, 2019 4:03 AM

R87 No wonder MBB never mentioned Gary in her autobiography. She talked about the rest of the cast, but not a word about him. LOL

by Anonymousreply 126September 18, 2019 6:06 AM

That blind item is utter nonsense. Clearly someone saw that video of Copperfield, and McNichol. They knew of Copperfield's metoo problems. They constructed a blind item around it. And then they posted in the comments section, pointing out the video.

There's no way he could've justified being "alone" with her for 14 hours. There is very little time where they're alone in the sketch. She stands there for 10 seconds when the Hardy Boys walk in, and that's it.

It's absurd, and whoever keeps posting that Trump supporter garbage here, please stop.

by Anonymousreply 127September 18, 2019 7:29 AM

I have read and listen to so many interviews with TV children and they all tell the same story about being dragged off because their hours were getting too high.

And conversely I hear stories about how 18 year old actors (Like Kathy "Cissy" Garver" and Tracey "Jennifer" Nelson; to name just two) had to endure long tedious hours because they could be kept on as long as they liked and their scenes were delayed till the "under 18" children finished their scenes.

by Anonymousreply 128September 18, 2019 2:17 PM

[quote]Roy Stuart (Cpl. Boyle on "Gomer Pyle")

He was more obvious than Jim Nabors

by Anonymousreply 129September 18, 2019 2:19 PM

LOVED this show as a teen, wanted to be part of that wonderful upscale Pasadena dysfunctional family, living in the guesthouse out back (which I thought was so exotic). I adored the theme song. I'd like to have a good-quality long-form recording of it.

I live in LA now, and yes, I have made a point of driving past that house, which is indeed lovely, on a lovely street. I actually know someone who lives around the corner, an older couple who remember when the house had its brush with fame back in the 70s.

And yes, R15, the early music was odd. And so strange to see a brunette Nancy.

by Anonymousreply 130September 18, 2019 2:51 PM

In the opening credits for the early seasons, it starts with Kate seeing her husband off to work and walking back into the house.

Goddamn, is she a slow walker or what?

by Anonymousreply 131September 18, 2019 2:55 PM

R130, I hope the terrible chain link fence (sorta hidden but still visible) is gone.

by Anonymousreply 132September 18, 2019 2:56 PM

R122 It was a well-to-do Pasadena family, so it was tasteful. Now that I live here, I know the type. Actually, couples of Jim and Sada's generation are now passing on, and the contents of their beautiful homes are going to local upscale consignment shops.

by Anonymousreply 133September 18, 2019 3:00 PM

r128 That's the way it works. The entire shooting schedule usually revolves around the limited time you have with the children. a 13 year old can work on camera about 5 hours a day. they have to log 3.5 hours of school and she can only be at work for 9 hours.

a newborn can only work on camera for about 45 minutes per day. which is why they use twins and triplets.

by Anonymousreply 134September 18, 2019 3:37 PM

R128 you're a moron. This is a 3 minute sketch read of cue cards.

Stop masterbating over your fantasies of EVERY CHILD ACTOR BEING MOLESTED you fucking pizzagate Trump supporting loser.

by Anonymousreply 135September 18, 2019 3:37 PM

r135

Ah that person says it DIDN'T happen. Do you even KNOW HOW TO READ?

by Anonymousreply 136September 18, 2019 4:02 PM

PattiFan:

[quote] Stop masterbating over your fantasies of EVERY CHILD ACTOR BEING MOLESTED you fucking pizzagate Trump supporting loser.

Why is this yet another Trump issue, and why is it so triggering to you?

by Anonymousreply 137September 18, 2019 6:10 PM

R131 they actually kept Kate coming into the house in the opening for all seasons but the last.

by Anonymousreply 138September 18, 2019 8:08 PM

R137 it all ties back to the twisted, bizarre notion that all of Hollywood is a child sex ring run by Democrats, and that Trump is the one who's gonna put a stop to it all. It's idiotic. And that's what Crazy Days and Nights is all about. Those morons think that James and Dave Franco were involved in kidnapping children, and sending them to ISIS as sex slaves and that Chris Cornell was murdered when he was about to expose them.

That is seriously what they believe on that site. The David Copperfield thing is complete and utter horseshit.

by Anonymousreply 139September 18, 2019 8:26 PM

Loved the show. I actually saw Kate as a complex but loving mother. The show was very meaningful and insightful for its times. I would have loved a reunion.

by Anonymousreply 140September 19, 2019 4:27 AM

R131, she was a slow walker because she had nothing else to do!

R138, they changed the opening for the fourth season, dropping the pictures on the piano and going for more hackneyed posing shots to accommodate the arrival of Annie and the fact that Kate was in school at that point — she wasn't always able to see Doug off to work and stroll somnambulantly through the living room with the mail.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141September 19, 2019 4:37 AM

R141 my bad. It did start the 1978-1979 season not the last season.

by Anonymousreply 142September 19, 2019 5:08 AM

A small thing, but I always appreciated that the layout of the house ACTUALLY MATCHED the exterior shown.

TV producers never gave a shit about that! And they still don't!

But Mike Nichols apparently insisted on it. He wanted the house to look "lived in," not like a studio set.

by Anonymousreply 143September 19, 2019 5:28 AM

[quote]I actually saw Kate as a complex but loving mother. The show was very meaningful and insightful for its times. I would have loved a reunion.

What R140 said.

My mother was very similar to Kate. She loved her children more than anything, but she was tough on us, because she wanted us to better ourselves (as she had), not coast on our privilege. That coasting was going on all around us — cousins, neighbors, friends.

My father was softer, because he was always away at work, and when he came home, he wanted to deal just with the good stuff/be the good guy. Which he was.

The show was VERY realistic and insightful. So on point for its time that it seems ahead of its time.

by Anonymousreply 144September 19, 2019 5:39 AM

It was great. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

by Anonymousreply 145September 19, 2019 5:53 AM

ME - SAW - DA

You - SAW - DA??

by Anonymousreply 146September 19, 2019 9:31 AM

The only episode I remember watching during its original run was a late one- Annie was being bullied at school. IIRC, Willie was sporting a beard by then.

by Anonymousreply 147September 19, 2019 12:22 PM

The houses on "Knots Landing" also did a pretty good job of matching interior with exterior.

by Anonymousreply 148September 19, 2019 12:22 PM

What did Meredith Baxter Birney do to earn an 'And' credit?

by Anonymousreply 149September 19, 2019 12:36 PM

Reruns of Family used to play in the early afternoon in the early '80s on WGN in Chicago, and my mother who missed it in its first run taped every episode (with our new VCR) and would watch them when she came home from work/I got home from school. As I was 8 or 9 years old I wasn't interested in the adult storylines and only liked the Buddy stories, I remember Blair Brown guest-starring as Buddy's teacher Ms. Jessup who it turned out was lezzing it up and this really shook Buddy up. Also Buddy's school friends were played by some of the most popular child actors of the time, like Dana Hill (who I think was a bully), Tracy Gold (she might not have actually guest-starred, it might have just been Dana Hill, when they were younger they both resembled each other), Dana Plato and I believe even Michael J. Fox even guest starred.

by Anonymousreply 150September 19, 2019 12:42 PM

Kim Richards plays buddy's friend who is moving in episode 2.

by Anonymousreply 151September 19, 2019 12:51 PM

I think Helen Hunt was a school bully, too. Maybe even in the Blair Brown episode. Wasn't she the one who led the gossip and whose mother tried to get Blair fired?

by Anonymousreply 152September 19, 2019 1:09 PM

Helen Hunt always screamed LESBIAN to me.

by Anonymousreply 153September 19, 2019 1:12 PM

R67 JFC could Nancy be any more smug about her blonde hair in the scene at R67?

by Anonymousreply 154September 19, 2019 1:30 PM

They were always trying to move Kristy into movie territory like Jodie Foster, but Kristy could never cut it.

It's odd that Tatum, who was in movie territory should've been trying to move into TV territory but thought she was too good.

by Anonymousreply 155September 19, 2019 2:30 PM

Watching "Little Darlings" right now for the McNichol vs. O'Neal matchup.

by Anonymousreply 156September 19, 2019 4:05 PM

Lol R156 in 2019 it would be those 2 hooking up!

by Anonymousreply 157September 19, 2019 4:43 PM

Sada Thompson played Carla Tortelli's mother on Cheers.

by Anonymousreply 158September 20, 2019 12:29 AM

R156 What format? It was unavailable for a long time...

by Anonymousreply 159September 20, 2019 12:40 AM

R155 Tatum has talent. In the 70s tv was frowned upon for Oscar winners, even at her age, and was considered a backwards step. Under the right guidance, Tatum could have had a career like Jodie’s. But her fucked up childhood and marrying and having kids too young destroyed that.

by Anonymousreply 160September 20, 2019 2:06 AM

Sada Thompson got Emmy nominations for playing Carla's Mama Lozupone on Cheers, and for the McMartin Trial TV movie (see one of her scenes below at 7:47). I'm surprised she didn't get one for Andre's Mother.

She should have won more than once — she was nominated for, and awesome in, the '77 version of Our Town and Sandburg's Lincoln.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161September 20, 2019 3:43 AM

Sada also tested for a replacement for Kate Jackson on Charlie's Angels. Obviously, Spelling was a fan of hers and thought that perhaps adding a mature woman to the group might bring in a new demographic. I had a friend who was a PA and they said that they didn't shoot the entire episode with Sada just the sequences she was in, apparently the primary issues were that there was a LOT of sexual tension between Sada's character, named Laraine and David Doyle's Bosley and Spelling felt that would be distracting. Also, Sada herself was not happy with her costuming which primarily consisted of blue jeans, twins sets and pumps, and there was a lot more running around in heels than she expected, so they went with the more 'traditional' choice of Shelley Hack instead.

by Anonymousreply 162September 20, 2019 1:22 PM

Tatum has limited talent. She was brilliant in Paper Moon and great in Bad News Bears, but unless it's a very, and I mean very specific role, she can't pull it off.

She would never have had a Jodie Foster type career or even half of it..

She should've went into TV but was too proud. Kristy is very funny, much more than people thought, she could've had a bigger career in sitcoms but she was mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 163September 20, 2019 2:54 PM

[quote]She should've went into TV

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 164September 20, 2019 3:54 PM

Bump R164 that one is my biggest pet peeve!

by Anonymousreply 165September 20, 2019 3:56 PM

Sada would have given Charlie's Angels a touch of class. I could her rocking those twinsets.

by Anonymousreply 166September 20, 2019 4:46 PM

That's also when I first started watching the show, r150, and absolutely fell in love with the wonderful writing and extraordinary cast. But I always thought that James Broderick provided the spine to the show, regardless how central Sada Thompson and her character were to the series. Very much like Michael York in CABARET. Without his solid performance grounding the film and providing a ballast to Minnelli's hysteria, the movie would not have been as successful, IMO. Same with FAMILY.

by Anonymousreply 167September 20, 2019 4:53 PM

Sada Thompson was a first-rate actress and also an early sufferer of Bitchy Resting Face long before it was acknowledged. Let's have a little respect.

by Anonymousreply 168September 20, 2019 6:04 PM

I used to get her confused with the "VULGARIAN" from "Interiors".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169September 20, 2019 7:03 PM

R163 well you’ve only seen Tatum in child roles if you’ve only seen those two. I think there was a spark of talent that could’ve been nourished and mentored. She had poise, beauty and a wonderful voice. I’ve seen her in some of her older roles too. She could’ve pulled it off.

by Anonymousreply 170September 20, 2019 8:36 PM

Miss Sada shilled the shit out of Shredded Wheat!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171September 21, 2019 2:29 AM

[quote]Miss Sada shilled the shit out of Shredded Wheat!

The taxes on those Family residuals don't pay themselves.

And a girl's gotta eat!

by Anonymousreply 172September 21, 2019 2:31 AM

Miss Sada played the ultimate Mary Todd Lincoln, shopping compulsively and shading Elizabeth Ashley in epic fan-snapping showdowns:

See 15:56 and 30:11:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173September 21, 2019 2:42 AM

Sada was to Shredded Wheat what Lauren Bacall was to High Point.

by Anonymousreply 174September 21, 2019 2:48 AM

R174 That Patricia Neal was to Anacin...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175September 21, 2019 3:01 AM

Miss Sada looks like she was Kate Lawrence sitting on the Family set to shill Shredded Wheat at R171. (No doubt what they intended.)

I hope Kate got enough money from Doug's life-insurance policy to do over the kitchen in the '80s.

She always looked oppressed by the grubby cabinets and lack of a pastry marble.

by Anonymousreply 176September 21, 2019 3:01 AM

Buddy’s real name was actually Leticia and Kate occasionally called her Tizzy Lish. Better than Baby Dyke, I guess.

I always enjoyed Kate smacking down Nancy, who was a fundamentally selfish and shallow piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 177September 21, 2019 3:28 AM

Quinn Cummings was one ugly kid.

Shame she was female. Switch the gender and drop the "s" and Quinn Cumming would have the perfect porn name. The guy who used to be on 'Family' but who is all grown up now could have amassed a devoted and lucrative following.

by Anonymousreply 178September 21, 2019 3:33 AM

R170

Nope Tatum is very limited. Of course you probably think Xanadu is Oscar material

by Anonymousreply 179September 21, 2019 3:54 AM

"Are you confused about oat bran?"

Sada gives that line the same gravitas as if she were playing Lady Macbeth.

by Anonymousreply 180September 21, 2019 11:12 AM

R177, Tizzy Lish? I thought it was Lezzy Tush...

by Anonymousreply 181September 21, 2019 11:33 AM

Quinn Cummings played the Cousin Oliver of Family.

by Anonymousreply 182September 21, 2019 11:39 AM

R179 kindly stfu. You know nothing.

by Anonymousreply 183September 21, 2019 12:44 PM

r183

You must be Tatum O'Neal...LOL

Sorry Tatum, go back to blaming others for your limited talent and you got lucky that your dad cast you in the first role, which suited you and led people to think you had more to offer than you did.

by Anonymousreply 184September 21, 2019 1:48 PM

[quote]Miss Sada shilled the shit out of Shredded Wheat!

All that fiber and she STILL looked constipated.

by Anonymousreply 185September 21, 2019 3:53 PM

R178 Quinn was an interesting child actress for the time. Had a quality of intelligence mixed with intensity and weirdness.

I met her briefly a few years back, and she still comes off exactly that way. No phony Hollywood charm whatsoever. Odd duck.

by Anonymousreply 186September 21, 2019 4:43 PM

I don't think Sada looked constipated. To me she always looked like she just shit her pants.

by Anonymousreply 187September 21, 2019 4:53 PM

Me SAW-da

You SAW-da

Us SAW-da

Them SAW-da

by Anonymousreply 188September 21, 2019 4:56 PM

I like on Quinn's website when someone asked to see a picture of her daughter she said, "No, she's not famous and I'm BARELY famous, so there's no need for that."

by Anonymousreply 189September 21, 2019 4:57 PM

I may or may not have caught my bitch of a mother fingering herself to a signed photo of one Ms. Sada Thompson

by Anonymousreply 190September 21, 2019 5:10 PM

R184 there’s no talking to an idiot who doesn’t recognize young talent.

by Anonymousreply 191September 21, 2019 5:18 PM

Only gay males would be commenting about MISS SADA from a television show that went off the air 39 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 192September 21, 2019 7:34 PM

I don't mean to speak ill of the late, talented Miss Patricia Neal, but her looks and voice frightened me as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 193September 21, 2019 7:43 PM

R193 Do you know the story of her stroke and how Ronald Dahl, her husband, harassed and humiliated her to motivate her PT and recover?

by Anonymousreply 194September 21, 2019 8:01 PM

R194- I actually read her (Patricia's) autobiography this summer! It was outstanding and I came away liking and respecting her. It was EXTREMELY honest, and wonderful read.

by Anonymousreply 195September 21, 2019 8:03 PM

R194 I remember my mother talking about the stroke. Again, I was a young kid, so that thought freaked me out, too. Did not know of any misdeeds by Dahl.

by Anonymousreply 196September 21, 2019 8:04 PM

Dahl was a prick.

by Anonymousreply 197September 21, 2019 8:05 PM

In the third season of the show, along with introducing Quinn Cumming's character to appeal more to a younger audience the show also tried to lighten things up a bit and in perhaps one of the few times in the series showed Doug and Kate in bed, not having sex, just chatting but what was interesting was at the end of the scene Kate said something along the lines of 'I have a surprise for you' and Doug replied, 'Not the Dutch oven again?' The one and probably only time the show ever made a fart joke

by Anonymousreply 198September 21, 2019 8:19 PM

Yes, Dahl told Pat that if the left side of her pussy didn't stop drooping, he was gonna go out and fuck other women.

by Anonymousreply 199September 21, 2019 8:21 PM

Nah near near near near near near now- the near near near near!!!!

by Anonymousreply 200September 21, 2019 8:55 PM

What's your point, R192? Did you think you were on ESPN.com?

by Anonymousreply 201September 21, 2019 9:03 PM

I can ONLY be fucked to the Family theme song playing in the background.

And that INCLUDES orgasm!!!!

by Anonymousreply 202September 21, 2019 9:56 PM

Quinn Cummings was annoying as shit on this show. And she was even more annoying in The Goodbye Girl.

by Anonymousreply 203September 21, 2019 10:33 PM

Remember the episode when Kate was dealing with the menopausal pregnancy and had a miscarriage while at celebratory dinner at Red Lobster?

by Anonymousreply 204September 21, 2019 10:45 PM

Remember when Kate was suffering from undiagnosed chronic fatigue syndrome and served the perplexed family Shredded Wheat for Sunday dinner?

by Anonymousreply 205September 21, 2019 10:50 PM

Sada played Claire, Shirley MacLaine's bohemian friend in the film Desperate Characters trading bitter quips with her ex-husband.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206September 21, 2019 11:10 PM

"Was it me or did the mother seem cold and distant from her kids??"

What do you mean by "cold and distant?" My impression is that you just didn't like her acting style, which was thoughtful and intelligent. Kate was reserved but it was obvious she cared about her children deeply. What would you prefer, that she screech and wave her arms and scream "Dammit!" like Bonnie Franklin on "One Day at a Time?"

by Anonymousreply 207September 21, 2019 11:46 PM

R207 is Beth Jarrett.

by Anonymousreply 208September 21, 2019 11:50 PM

In the days of three networks and PBS, it ruled the ratings. My mother had no use for it though, so it wasn't on in our house.

by Anonymousreply 209September 22, 2019 12:18 AM

That presentation of "Our Town" featuring Sada Thompson (other actors involved were Ned Beatty, Barbara Bel Geddes, Ronnie Cox, Robbie Benson, Glynnis O'Connor and Hal Holbrook st The Stage Manager) is the best one I ever saw. Much better than the one at the Lincoln Center; that one starred Spalding Gray as the Stage Manager, which was a dreadful idea.

by Anonymousreply 210September 22, 2019 12:56 AM

R210 I watched a bit of it too and Glynnis was transcendent, why didn’t she have much more of a career?

by Anonymousreply 211September 22, 2019 2:05 AM

They needed to bring in a cute and funny black kid not that deadpan little freak.

by Anonymousreply 212September 22, 2019 2:17 AM

Gary Coleman auditioned, but Sada objected when he responded to her sage advice with a sassy, "Whatchyoutalkinbout Mrs. L?"

by Anonymousreply 213September 22, 2019 2:24 AM

" I watched a bit of it too and Glynnis was transcendent, why didn’t she have much more of a career?"

She did a lot of television work in the seventies. Remember her in "The Boy in the Plastic Bubble" with John Travolta? But after she aged out of young girl roles her career seemed to decline. I thought she was very talented.

by Anonymousreply 214September 22, 2019 2:45 AM

R213 Wow. Coleman made a huge mistake. Thompson was known as Sada "Don't Take No Jive" Thompson in Hollywood.

Sassy lil' Gary found that out the hard way.

by Anonymousreply 215September 22, 2019 3:12 AM

Miss Sada was like Kate Hepburn. They did steely, New England women very well. I think that's why she was so good in Our Town. Her acting style fit right in with the play.

by Anonymousreply 216September 22, 2019 3:16 AM

Would certain of you tacky bitches not distract from this thread on one of the crown jewels of American TV drama, and one of the finest American actresses ever, with your witless, juvenile attempts at satire.

TIA, stupid cunts!

by Anonymousreply 217September 22, 2019 3:20 AM

Why was Kate wearing gloves to tour a model apartment in 1978?

Did upper-middle-class women wear gloves in the afternoon in 1978? I've never seen that anywhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218September 22, 2019 3:25 AM

I watched a few episodes of this show when I was six or seven. It didn't make sense to me that an athletic kid named Buddy, who wore men's clothing and had a boy's haircut could be played by a girl.

by Anonymousreply 219September 22, 2019 3:29 AM

[quote]Did upper-middle-class women wear gloves in the afternoon in 1978?

Yes, because they were ashamed of their dishpan hands. When a woman didn't wear gloves, it was a sign that her husband was loving and had bought her a dishwasher. Those who did wear gloves were married to skinflint cheapskates.

by Anonymousreply 220September 22, 2019 3:36 AM

R220 = Madge from the Palmolive commercials

by Anonymousreply 221September 22, 2019 3:43 AM

R218 Did you notice at 6:41 when our Miss Sada checks her watch she looks at the inside of her wrist? I remember in the ‘70s women in particular would wear their watches with the face pointing this way, does anyone know why that was done, when it was the style and when did it stop?

by Anonymousreply 222September 22, 2019 3:50 AM

My mother also wore her (very petite) watch face on the inside of her wrist in the '80s (and I assume the '70s) - she was a baby boomer. I guess that's just what was done, maybe so the watch band looked more like a bracelet?

by Anonymousreply 223September 22, 2019 4:02 AM

Nice to see Glynnis O’Connor getting some recognition — always thought she was a fine actress!

by Anonymousreply 224September 22, 2019 4:31 AM

[quote]Dahl was a prick.

RIght. He kept trying to get Pat to open up her chocolate factory.

by Anonymousreply 225September 22, 2019 5:53 AM

Anyone seen Kristy McNichol lately?

by Anonymousreply 226September 22, 2019 5:57 AM

No, women didn't still wear gloves (other than the cold weather kind) in the late '70s. I think they were trying to underscore the "Kate is out of step with the times and wants to be more with it" theme of the episode, but it was a bit of a stretch.

by Anonymousreply 227September 22, 2019 11:16 AM

Re the watch thing R222, R223, I don't remember it being a fashion trend, more of a preference.

by Anonymousreply 228September 22, 2019 12:19 PM

I read this thread with the theme of Family playing over and over in my head, with visions of Miss Sada slowly reviewing the photos of her family and then SMUGLY walking off to begin her day. BITCH!!!!

by Anonymousreply 229September 22, 2019 12:32 PM

Originally seen as fashionable in the 1960s, a symbol of being unique and forward thinking and a way to show solidarity with the working class, wearing a watch on the inside of your wrist in generations to come evolved to be somewhat of a style taboo. Today as individuality is once again recognised, wearing your wristwatch in this manner is seeing a revival.

We take a look at the advantages of wearing your wristwatch on the inside of your wrist.

To Prevent Damage

The most practical and common reason for wearing a watch on the inside of the wrist is to prevent damage. In the days before crystal scratch proof faces were invented, quartz and inexpensive watches were much thicker and more likely to scratch. Watches were more fragile, making them more inclined to encounter damage. Waterproofing wasn’t as advanced as it is today, meaning that rain showers or accidental splashes of water would be expensive mistakes to encounter.

Watches which aren’t given the care and attention they deserve will always be more inclined to experience damage despite how they are worn, so always look after your watch.

For Ease of Use

Obviously glancing at your watch during formal situations has long been considered as inappropriate, but there are times where keeping track of time must be adhered to. This is why many choose to wear their watch in this manner; it is easier to look at the time without alerting the whole room to your actions. Useful in back to back meetings!

Professional Benefits

For some professions, timing is everything. Wearing your watch on the inside of the wrist has proven particularly useful for two well-known professions in particular, the nurse and the arm forces.

By wearing it in this manner nurses can see their watch without turning their arm over while taking a pulse rate, for faster and more accurate reads. This was also useful for WWll fighter pilots; they could easily see their watch whilst holding the throttle or control yoke. Soldiers, especially infantrymen, wore their watches with the face on the inside of the wrist to avoid having a shiny reflective glass or luminescent numerals give away their position. For this reason they also used cloth or dull leather watchbands.

Today, how you wear your watch is a matter of style. Whether you display your watch on full view or prefer a more subtle approach, wear your wristwatch with pride; it’s much more than a practical accessory.

by Anonymousreply 230September 22, 2019 2:45 PM

What’s a watch?

by Anonymousreply 231September 22, 2019 2:48 PM

R231 is a Darfur Orphan.

by Anonymousreply 232September 22, 2019 3:19 PM

Adding Quinn Cummings to the cast of "Family" was such a bad idea. She was literally Little Orphan Annie. Was the show in ratings trouble and the writers decided to add a '"cute" kid to the Family in order to pique the viewer's interest? If so, it didn't work. Her addition to the show added nothing interesting.

by Anonymousreply 233September 22, 2019 9:05 PM

R233=Kristy McNichol

by Anonymousreply 234September 22, 2019 10:32 PM

The actual Family house in Pasadena is apparently worth $4.1 million today.

The last owner bought it for $1.2 mil in the late '90s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235September 23, 2019 1:26 AM

[quote] Adding Quinn Cummings to the cast of "Family" was such a bad idea. She was literally Little Orphan Annie. Was the show in ratings trouble and the writers decided to add a '"cute" kid to the Family in order to pique the viewer's interest? If so, it didn't work. Her addition to the show added nothing interesting.

What a fascinating observation. Amazing no one has yet to make it in 235 posts. You're so cutting edge, so astute.

by Anonymousreply 236September 23, 2019 1:32 AM

R235 technically South Pasadena. It's lovely, and in a lovely neighborhood. Yes, I've stalked it.

by Anonymousreply 237September 23, 2019 1:36 AM

Thanks for the link, R235. And to think there was an episode where they were thinking about selling the house. Their agent told them to list it for $90,000 and Kate was stunned. She couldn't believe anybody would pay that much for their house!

by Anonymousreply 238September 23, 2019 1:37 AM

....and I must say, $1.2 million in the late 90s in that neighborhood sounds surprisingly low, given the home's "celebrity." $4.1 million now sounds high, but right.

by Anonymousreply 239September 23, 2019 1:38 AM

Ugh R238, my mother sold our lovely house in the Berkshires for $50k in 1978, and now it's worth close to a million.

by Anonymousreply 240September 23, 2019 1:39 AM

L.A. dwellers, forgive the naive question, but to what extent do Pasadena residents consider themselves "from Los Angeles"?

Are they more inclined to say they live in L.A. or Pasadena?

Family was very Pasadena this, Pasadena that, but I figured that was to make the show seem more universal/palatable to Middle America.

by Anonymousreply 241September 23, 2019 1:44 AM

R241 It depends. I live in Pasadena. To people anywhere else in the country, I say I'm from Los Angeles, which is legit. Within LA, I say Pasadena just to narrow it down.

The thing about Pasadena is, it's pleasant and suburban and somewhat conservative as LA goes. Perfect for the Family. What was their name again, Bradford?

by Anonymousreply 242September 23, 2019 1:50 AM

Much nicer than the Brady house.

by Anonymousreply 243September 23, 2019 1:52 AM

R242 The Bradfords weren't as uptight as the Lawrences!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244September 23, 2019 2:00 AM

"What a fascinating observation. Amazing no one has yet to make it in 235 posts. You're so cutting edge, so astute."

Are you always this cunty? Maybe that's why nobody wants to have anything to do with you.

by Anonymousreply 245September 23, 2019 2:13 AM

[quote] Are you always this cunty? Maybe that's why nobody wants to have anything to do with you.

Says the person currently making friends and winning fans over on the Fame thread.

They're all laughing at you.

by Anonymousreply 246September 23, 2019 2:55 AM

Ah, I had my 70s families mixed up!

by Anonymousreply 247September 23, 2019 2:56 AM

No, R246, I think "they", that is, everyone who comes in contact with you, are laughing at YOU. You seem like quite the unbearable cunt.

by Anonymousreply 248September 23, 2019 3:11 AM

I believe the Bradfords were in Sacramento, which is hardly Pasadena.

by Anonymousreply 249September 23, 2019 4:30 AM

Buddy once encouraged us to form a playful human pyramid on the lawn, with her at the top, but I had acute sciatic pain and told her it was out of the question.

by Anonymousreply 250September 23, 2019 4:36 AM

Lets not forget that Pasedena was one of the last cities to desegregate schools in 1970.

That is the world of Family.

by Anonymousreply 251September 23, 2019 11:24 AM

Kate at jury duty was a great episode.

by Anonymousreply 252September 23, 2019 11:34 AM

R251. And what a pleasent place it was before that happened.

by Anonymousreply 253September 23, 2019 12:16 PM

R251. And what a pleasent place it was before that happened.

by Anonymousreply 254September 23, 2019 12:16 PM

R251, it wasn't too keen on lesbians teaching, either

by Anonymousreply 255September 23, 2019 12:34 PM

Buddy turned me into an alcoholic!

by Anonymousreply 256September 23, 2019 12:45 PM

Sada is magnificent in the jury episode. You can always see her brains working (for example,. the moment she pauses before entering a distraught Buddy's room so she can gather her thoughts) but her speech in the deliberation room is particularly stunning. The pause she takes between "reasonable....doubt"....dear Lord.

by Anonymousreply 257September 23, 2019 12:58 PM

That was the one where the lady was accused of littering right? r257

by Anonymousreply 258September 23, 2019 1:23 PM

R227 I agree about the gloves being used to show Kate was behind the fashion times. Also those 1950s style dresses with the collar and the belt. Very June Cleaver, although June had a much better figure than frumpy old Kate.

by Anonymousreply 259September 23, 2019 1:46 PM

Me SAW dah

by Anonymousreply 260September 23, 2019 1:53 PM

R227, also in that episode in a blink and you'll miss it moment that is also supposed to demonstrate that she is 'behind the times', you can see Kate's 'sanitary belt' on the towel rack in her and Doug's ensuite bathroom...

by Anonymousreply 261September 23, 2019 5:49 PM

R159, just back on here since Thursday. "Little Darlings" is currently available on Amazon Prime.

by Anonymousreply 262September 24, 2019 11:42 AM

She was an untalented bitch, thank God I came along

by Anonymousreply 263September 24, 2019 11:44 AM

Did they mention if Kate had gone to college?

by Anonymousreply 264September 24, 2019 12:31 PM

r264

She went "back to college" on the show, so I assume she never finished her degree

by Anonymousreply 265September 24, 2019 1:41 PM

They recovered pretty well for a family who lost a son in a tragic drowning only 5 years earlier. Did they ever mention their dead son Timmy after the christening episode?

by Anonymousreply 266September 24, 2019 1:44 PM

Ah, the christening episode. The one with the great slipcover mishap. Could they have been any WASPier in that episode?

by Anonymousreply 267September 24, 2019 1:45 PM

R266 they DID??? I never knew this.

by Anonymousreply 268September 24, 2019 4:54 PM

R268, there was no dead child in the pilot and I think he was created for this episode alone.

by Anonymousreply 269September 24, 2019 5:50 PM

Kate referred to Timmy at least twice that I can recall:

In the "Princess in the Tower" episode, when she's trapped in the model apartment with the pregnant woman, she talks about all the children she gave birth to, including Timmy.

In the last season, she's pregnant and applies to take leave from her teaching gig. A fellow teacher says something to the effect of, you've had three kids, Kate, what are you thinking? She corrects her, saying she had four. And Kate and Doug talk a bit about her idea that the pregnancy could be a cosmic leveling of the scales.

Family was pretty rigorous about its bible and continuity — aside from the fact that Doug's father was played by four different actors, including Henry Fonda.

by Anonymousreply 270September 24, 2019 7:04 PM

How the hell did Kate get pregnant in 1980? She looked like menopause had come and gone around the time of Watergate.

by Anonymousreply 271September 24, 2019 7:10 PM

R270 Did the pregnancy go to term or did the show end before that?

by Anonymousreply 272September 24, 2019 7:22 PM

She miscarried in the same episode.

Sada was 53 in 1980, so it was quite a stretch.

by Anonymousreply 273September 24, 2019 7:26 PM

Thanks R273.

by Anonymousreply 274September 24, 2019 7:28 PM

"Did they ever mention their dead son Timmy after the christening episode?"

Yes they did, on occasion. I remember Willie telling somebody the whole story of poor dead Timmy and how he died. Buddy had something to do with it. A s I recall. It was an accident but she in some indirect way was the cause of it. At least that's what I remember.

by Anonymousreply 275September 24, 2019 8:39 PM

Thompson seemed incapable of moving her face. I'll remember a critic reviewing Family saying that it should have been titled "Miss Stoneface gets a new expression."

by Anonymousreply 276September 24, 2019 9:25 PM

Has Andre's Mother been posted?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277September 24, 2019 9:41 PM

Nancy's son was named Timmy in the dead boy's honor

We all know it was shaken to death and covered up.

by Anonymousreply 278September 24, 2019 9:43 PM

The first Timmy wasn't a baby. If I recall correctly, he was older than Buddy and it was his army cap that Buddy wore throughout the first season. He died in a drowning accident, and I think it might have been Buddy's "fault" because he died rescuing her from drowning. I could be misremembering; it's been a minute.

by Anonymousreply 279September 24, 2019 10:03 PM

The OG Timmy was 10 when he drowned. I don't remember an episode where Buddy was implicated.

Kate was at home and Doug told her what happened by phone — I think that was recounted in the pregnancy/miscarriage episode.

by Anonymousreply 280September 24, 2019 10:08 PM

I just tried Googling around to learn Timmy's fate, no luck. This was one of my favorite shows, but I have no memory of this.

by Anonymousreply 281September 24, 2019 10:08 PM

The episode was "Thursday's Child".

Doug: "Buddy, it was not your fault. I used to blame myself. I thought I shouldn't take either of you. You and Timmy were too young for a trip like that. Willie told me he felt responsible. Every one of us needed to make it our fault. Your mother blamed herself."

More scintillating dialog at the link--

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282September 24, 2019 10:16 PM

R279 Is this what fucked Kristy MacNichol up?

by Anonymousreply 283September 24, 2019 10:28 PM

Kate sat on the kid and then watched a movie marathon before she realized there was life beneath her enormous ass.

by Anonymousreply 284September 25, 2019 9:00 AM

The boat was tipping over as it had hit a mass of branches and Buddy started panicking and in the ensuing danger, Timmy fell overboard and got caught underwater and drowned.

by Anonymousreply 285September 25, 2019 11:39 AM

Thanks to this thread, I went down a Family rabbit hole and discovered that Buddy's best friend Audrey Pfeiffer (Louise Foley) grew up to be Alice in Tom Petty's "Don't Come Around Here No More" video, which...wow. Mind. Blown.

by Anonymousreply 286September 25, 2019 11:47 AM

Glynnis O'Connor and Gary Frank were in that short lived CBS show Sons and Daughters, set in the 50's. Glynnis was great in everything, except trying to play Margo Hughes on As The World Turns. She just wasn't soap tough even though she'd been on ATWT as a teen playing Dee Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 287September 25, 2019 11:54 AM

Me-saw-DA

U-saw-DA

Us-saw-DA

Them-saw-DA

by Anonymousreply 288September 25, 2019 12:14 PM

I recall there was an episode where Kate was psychic, she kept having a dream that she hit a kid with her car...and then one night she almost hit a kid with her car. Rich, compelling television

by Anonymousreply 289September 25, 2019 1:54 PM

Remember when Kate said, 'How come a power couple with everything going for us has such loser kids'?

by Anonymousreply 290September 25, 2019 2:08 PM

I love how Kate and Doug let Willie quit high school to be a photographer.

by Anonymousreply 291September 25, 2019 3:12 PM

Did Willie live in the basement? I could see him being into being a 'photographer' so he could lure chicks to his studio and take nudie pictures of them

by Anonymousreply 292September 25, 2019 3:25 PM

[quote]Yes they did, on occasion. I remember Willie telling somebody the whole story of poor dead Timmy and how he died. Buddy had something to do with it. A s I recall. It was an accident but she in some indirect way was the cause of it.

Are we sure a penmanship medal wasn't involved?

by Anonymousreply 293September 25, 2019 3:57 PM

[quote]They recovered pretty well for a family who lost a son in a tragic drowning only 5 years earlier. Did they ever mention their dead son Timmy after the christening episode?

We wouldn't have forgotten Timmy.

by Anonymousreply 294September 25, 2019 3:58 PM

[quote]Sada was 53 in 1980, so it was quite a stretch.

It certainly WOULD have been for us, had she tried to deliver.

by Anonymousreply 295September 25, 2019 3:58 PM

The set really did look like a nice house that had been lived in.

by Anonymousreply 296September 25, 2019 4:21 PM

Hi, I'm Nancy coming in for a quick cameo in this thread to pick up Timmy.

by Anonymousreply 297September 25, 2019 4:22 PM

Hey Guys: If you're taking a trip down memory lane, you'll have more fun with me and the gang! Remember the episode where I convinced my lil' sis and bro to skip school and spend the day roller skating all over town with me?? When we got home we smoked up with David and Abby. Livin' the dream!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298September 25, 2019 4:31 PM

the saw-DA posts were tired and unfunny fifteen ago.

by Anonymousreply 299September 25, 2019 5:22 PM

Thank you R299. Someone had to say it. R288 is the guy that keeps trying to tell the same joke louder and louder at the party...and no one ever laughs then either.

by Anonymousreply 300September 25, 2019 5:26 PM

Willie screamed gay.

by Anonymousreply 301September 25, 2019 9:11 PM

[quote]Did Willie live in the basement?

No, he had a room, then he took over the guest house when Nancy moved out.

by Anonymousreply 302September 25, 2019 9:33 PM

Does anyone remember when Ryan's Hope star Ilene Kristen guested as a Stevie Nicks type rock star named Lotus? She and Willie were involved somehow.

by Anonymousreply 303September 25, 2019 9:52 PM

r303

Because rock stars always desire high school dropouts who live with their parents

by Anonymousreply 304September 25, 2019 10:10 PM

R304 Maybe she was a loser too and they were going for a Sid and Nancy thing?

by Anonymousreply 305September 25, 2019 10:12 PM

Unfortunately as the years went on, the writers didn't know what to do with teenagers. All the writers could write for was the older generation and the up and coming. For some reason, they couldn't write late 1970s teenagers and twentysomethings.

by Anonymousreply 306September 25, 2019 10:14 PM

Willie and his friends used to meet at the malt shop.

by Anonymousreply 307September 25, 2019 10:16 PM

I remember when Annie Potts guest-starred as a Janis Joplin type who was staying with the Lawrences for some reason and Kate helped get her back on track

by Anonymousreply 308September 25, 2019 10:16 PM

R218 She must have had ugly hands. That's why Jackie O always wore gloves.

by Anonymousreply 309September 25, 2019 10:22 PM

[quote]who was staying with the Lawrences for some reason and Kate helped get her back on track

Kate was such a cow. On the Andy Griffith Show, when guests left, Aunt Bee always packed them a bag of sandwiches to take with them. Kate just closed the door after they left and sighed like hospitality was a huge burden.

by Anonymousreply 310September 25, 2019 10:24 PM

Sheree North's singing in the Christmas episode was beautiful and haunting.

by Anonymousreply 311September 26, 2019 12:48 AM

Actually, Kate sneezed and instantly miscarried, R295.

Those curtains hadn't fully closed since the '60s.

by Anonymousreply 312September 26, 2019 2:15 AM

"The boat was tipping over as it had hit a mass of branches and Buddy started panicking and in the ensuing danger, Timmy fell overboard and got caught underwater and drowned."

That sounds so horrible. I wonder how this reserved, emotionally contained Family dealt with what must have been enormous guilt and grief.

by Anonymousreply 313September 26, 2019 3:13 AM

R313 See Ordinary People.

by Anonymousreply 314September 26, 2019 3:15 AM

r313

Kate sat on it or shook it and then the father and Buddy dragged it out to the lake and staged the accident..

by Anonymousreply 315September 26, 2019 4:19 AM

"All the writers could write for was the older generation and the up and coming. For some reason, they couldn't write late 1970s teenagers and twentysomethings."

And thank God for it. As opposed to today, where everything is perversely centered around navel-gazing, narcissistic, illiterate and unappealing teens. I won't dignify them by calling them characters.

by Anonymousreply 316September 26, 2019 4:59 AM

Me-SAW-da

You-SAW-da

Us-SAW-da

Them-SAW-da

by Anonymousreply 317September 26, 2019 1:29 PM

Just watched an episode when they were robbed. Of course, Kate had all the serial numbers for the major electronics filed away just in case. Kate needed an evil twin.

by Anonymousreply 318September 26, 2019 2:52 PM

R28 I have never heard the expression "baked bean teeth" and LOLOLOLOL! That puts "chiclet teeth" to shame.

by Anonymousreply 319September 26, 2019 4:45 PM

I have Law & Order on. I look up and whaddya know?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320September 26, 2019 5:13 PM

Ha ha. How were her teeth?

by Anonymousreply 321September 26, 2019 5:14 PM

Wasn't paying attention. Looked up, grabbed my camera, then went on about my business (aka DL).

by Anonymousreply 322September 26, 2019 5:18 PM

[quote] have Law & Order on. I look up and whaddya know?!

So, Mrs. Lawrence. In the death of your son Timmy, there were fibers of your bathrobe and vanilla wafer cookie crumbs found on his body. How would you explain those being on his body if he drowned?

by Anonymousreply 323September 26, 2019 5:18 PM

hahahaha y'all crack me up !

by Anonymousreply 324September 26, 2019 5:28 PM

I don't remember which episode it was but there was a scene where Nancy came to talk to Kate. There she was in her usual dress and pearls with a sun hat and plastic gloves cleaning out the old metal type trash cans. That struck me as enormously funny.

by Anonymousreply 325September 26, 2019 8:05 PM

DL Eldergays ADORE Sada Thompson!

by Anonymousreply 326September 27, 2019 1:17 AM

Sada loved to talk trash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327September 27, 2019 1:23 AM

Kate Lawrence was Clair Huxtable before there was a Clair Huxtable.

by Anonymousreply 328September 27, 2019 7:53 AM

Family was such a great series. I felt like Sada was a remote mother as did others here. I was glad that our mother was warm.

I had a crush on Gary Frank and wanted to live in a guest house like Nancy. In looking at the clips, Gary's hair was pretty funky when parted down the middle. Leif was darling. I don't remember him much. He and Buddy disco dancing at her birthday was just adorable.

My dad was very conservative. I had no idea that he was watching Family also until he said one day, "I love that little Buddy."

He had been feisty with his dad and I was feisty with him. I know that he must have liked Buddy's spirit. Kristy McNichol was wonderful in Family and Little Darlings. It's sad to know she was sexually harassed at the time.

I really liked the episode where Ilene Kristen played the rock star who was interested in Willie. I ran into Kristen last year in my neighborhood. I told her how much I loved her performances as Delia on Ryan's Hope.

Ilene was was really sweet and invited me to sit down by her in the park and talk for a bit. She looks exactly like she did in Ryan's Hope. She hasn't aged at all. She is absolutely darling. She's still acting and was appearing in a play at the time.

by Anonymousreply 329September 28, 2019 4:05 AM

I fingered myself to Sada Thompson and her Boston Baked Bean Teeth from 1976-2012!!!

God I miss my Sada Thompson poster!!!!

by Anonymousreply 330September 28, 2019 7:54 PM

Do you think Sada wore a wig for the pilot or just got a haircut for the second episode?

by Anonymousreply 331September 29, 2019 3:24 AM

If Sa-DAW was an actual refrigerator mother her children would be autistic.

by Anonymousreply 332September 29, 2019 10:09 AM

Gary Frank was an asshole (see link below)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333September 29, 2019 10:13 AM

gary with his stupid ass hair part

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334September 29, 2019 10:14 AM

I thought Sada had jacked teeth but she has a perfect smile in the piano portrait and when she actually smiles in person they don't look so bad.

by Anonymousreply 335September 29, 2019 10:22 AM

Gary Frank only looked attractive in the last season when he had a proper haircut and the beard.

by Anonymousreply 336September 29, 2019 12:59 PM

Wow, R333 — he sounds like he was a real piece of work!

by Anonymousreply 337September 29, 2019 7:59 PM

His marriage has endured over the decades, but his career dried up quickly after "Family". Hard to believe he's 69.

by Anonymousreply 338September 29, 2019 8:16 PM

I had a chuckle in the Jury Duty 2 part episode when the Latino punk accused of murder describes Willie to Kate as a "tough dude".

by Anonymousreply 339September 30, 2019 3:41 AM

"Hi, what's everybody talking about?"

by Anonymousreply 340September 30, 2019 4:07 PM

[quote]"Hi, what's everybody talking about?"—Buddy walking into the room

Leticia, there's no easy way to tell you this. The police have completed their investigation and have determined that you killed Timmy. Social Services will be coming to take you to the "Home For Reprobate Girls." Your father and I tried everything possible to stop this, but the law is the law. Now, I have to go view a new condo downtown, your father has to go back to work and Willie has to go to his bedroom to smoke pot. Let us know how you are getting along in your new home.

by Anonymousreply 341September 30, 2019 4:25 PM

R331, it looks like the pilot was filmed a while before the rest of those episodes. Nancy has long, straight hair in it and her hair was shorter and more styled the rest of that season. And Buddy is tiny.

by Anonymousreply 342September 30, 2019 4:36 PM

Happy Rosh Hashanah, y'all!

by Anonymousreply 343September 30, 2019 6:04 PM

R342- The pilot was filmed in early 1975. It was about a year and a half before the show premiered in the fall of 1976.

by Anonymousreply 344September 30, 2019 7:16 PM

It premiered in March of 1976 for the 6 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 345September 30, 2019 7:19 PM

As a regular series it did not premiere until the fall of 1976.

by Anonymousreply 346September 30, 2019 7:24 PM

I was hoping when Nancy had a stalker he would send her a box of faeces. Bit maybe that was too much for Aaron Spelling who seems to cast models as extras. When the stalker is revealed he is gorgeous so you have to wonder why he is so interested in the rabbit-faced Mary Baxter Dreary.

by Anonymousreply 347October 1, 2019 6:48 AM

R347=David Birney, still bitter

by Anonymousreply 348October 1, 2019 10:24 AM

Remember when Linda Lavin tried to seduce Doug and Buddy was like, "Sa-daw is the only person worse than her."

by Anonymousreply 349October 1, 2019 1:57 PM

Remember when the remade "Love Story" and Willie marries a dying girl and she says 'You only want to marry me because I'm dying."

And Willie says 'but we get to have sex too? right?'

by Anonymousreply 350October 1, 2019 2:12 PM

I just watched the one where Doug gets hit by a car and goes blind. The obvious double body was hilarious because was blatantly younger and thinner than James Broderick. When Doug says I don't need an ambulance I yelled out, Yeah, YOU weren't the one hit.

by Anonymousreply 351October 1, 2019 2:29 PM

The episode referenced above with Nancy and her stalker is bizarre as it ends on such a weird note. Nancy confronts him and he runs off and that's about it. ANd everybody looks at Nancy like she's crazy because he gave her gifts but he was stalking her!

by Anonymousreply 352October 1, 2019 2:57 PM

R348-David Birney was VERY good looking in the 1970's.

by Anonymousreply 353October 1, 2019 7:24 PM

One thing I noticed is that they don't use a tablecloth for meals, just placemats on a wooden surface.

by Anonymousreply 354October 1, 2019 11:09 PM

R354, I think that kind of attention to how people really live rather than how other TV shows imagine how they live is what made the show.

by Anonymousreply 355October 2, 2019 12:58 AM

My parents used a tablecloth.

by Anonymousreply 356October 2, 2019 12:59 AM

What was the ep where Kate was on a diet and every time she turned around one of the family was munching on leftovers or junk food. Finally she cheats, goes down to the fridge and pours chocolate syrup straight down her throat.

by Anonymousreply 357October 2, 2019 4:41 AM

Kate never dieted.

by Anonymousreply 358October 2, 2019 4:42 AM

In the same ep where Kate was dieting she berated the family at the dinner table for their insensitivity to her struggles with her weight, zeroing in on Nancy and her peaches and cream complexion. "If I didn't know better I'd say they gave us the wrong daughter at the hospital!" - with that she threw down her napkin and stormed out of the dining room. Nancy was left in tears.

by Anonymousreply 359October 2, 2019 4:50 AM

I do think tablecloths are not a very Southern California thing, even Pasadena.

by Anonymousreply 360October 2, 2019 4:54 AM

There was another episode where Kate slathered that same chocolate syrup all over her Shredded Wheat at breakfast, and Nancy pointedly said, "May Timmy Jr. and I be excused? I think I am going to be sick, mother."

by Anonymousreply 361October 2, 2019 4:58 AM

Nancy should talk. In only ten years, she'd take Kate's name and become a bulimic. She had a great scene where she ate a meal off the floor.

by Anonymousreply 362October 2, 2019 5:10 AM

I've known John Rubinstein for years -Great actor, but also a very nice person. He won a Tony for his leading role in Children of a Lesser God, and originated many other roles on Broadway. He's still looking great at 72 but he is, sadly, straight.

by Anonymousreply 363October 2, 2019 5:14 AM

Have you seen him nude, R363?

by Anonymousreply 364October 2, 2019 5:17 AM

Rubenstein's father was Arthur, the acclaimed Polish pianist, who was almost 60 when John was born.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365October 2, 2019 5:25 AM

I loved the Michael J Fox loves Kate episode. In reality, Kate would've jumped his bones so quick and poor MJF would be crushed

by Anonymousreply 366October 2, 2019 5:26 AM

That TV Guide article makes it sound like Gary had a bit of a drinking and anger management problem. Could be part of the reason he didn’t find more work after Family. I found it interesting that his wife’s cousin is composer Randy Newman.

by Anonymousreply 367October 2, 2019 5:28 AM

No one online appears to be selling the later episodes which is a shame. Kate is my fave character and I generally Fast Forwarded through the Buddy/Willie/Nancy scenes unless Kate is in them too.

by Anonymousreply 368October 2, 2019 5:41 AM

It's a shame they didn't put someone like Betty Garrett in the lead. She'd have been wonderful as Kate.

by Anonymousreply 369October 2, 2019 6:20 AM

Sada put her foot down when the producers wanted Charo to play her troublemaking younger sister Jenny.

by Anonymousreply 370October 2, 2019 12:04 PM

Shortly after ABC cancelled "Family," the idea was floated to bring back the cast in "The Family Variety Hour," along the line of "The Brady Bunch Hour": skits, songs, the old soft shoe, and a roster of special guest stars, including Dody Goodman, Lorne Greene, Tracy Austin, and Tavares. Sadly, during the filming of the pilot, serious creative differences between Quinn Cummings and Meredith Baxter Birney erupted (again) and the project was abandoned.

by Anonymousreply 371October 2, 2019 4:50 PM

I still don't know how she got through those shoveling-it-in scenes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372October 2, 2019 5:03 PM

^^R363 meant to say.

by Anonymousreply 373October 2, 2019 5:03 PM

JFC, sorry. R362

by Anonymousreply 374October 2, 2019 5:05 PM

Wait, was that John "Pippin" Rubenstein?

by Anonymousreply 375October 2, 2019 6:17 PM

R375, yes it was.

by Anonymousreply 376October 2, 2019 6:21 PM

That’s funny, I never made the connection. I adore the theme song to “Family,” which he wrote, and also love his vocal recording of “corner of the sky.” He’s a cutie.

by Anonymousreply 377October 2, 2019 6:41 PM

I always thought Sada Thompson played "Kay," Alice's temporary replacement on "The Brady Bunch." Turns out, it was Mary Treen who played Kay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378October 2, 2019 7:39 PM

r378's gay card is on suspension.

by Anonymousreply 379October 2, 2019 7:53 PM

[quote]. I adore the theme song to “Family,” which he wrote, and also love his vocal recording of “corner of the sky.”

Meh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380October 2, 2019 7:55 PM

R378 plus she’s in Its a Wonderful Life. How many of you bitches know that?

by Anonymousreply 381October 2, 2019 7:59 PM

R353=ALSO David Birney, still bitter

by Anonymousreply 382October 2, 2019 9:12 PM

I believe at the beginning of the second season, Thompson was renegotiating her contract and was a 'no-show' a couple of days on the set, so in one of the early episodes of the season she's only in the beginning and end of the show. I would imagine the powers that be were none too please with her truancy which might explain why Kate's 'absence' during the middle part of the episode were put down to a bout with colitis, though I don't ever think they said she was on the toilet, that's what was being alluded to when Doug would say, 'Your mother's colitis is acting up. Don't bother her, she's indisposed'. I remember at the end of the episode we see Doug go into the bedroom and says to Kate (off-camera), 'Somebody open a window in here!'

by Anonymousreply 383October 2, 2019 9:30 PM

I’m loving all the Family fan fiction, decades after the show went off the air. Keep it coming especially the MBB and Quinn Cummings feuding and fighting.

by Anonymousreply 384October 2, 2019 10:03 PM

None of the Family "fan fiction" is remotely funny.

by Anonymousreply 385October 3, 2019 3:14 AM

Pace University

by Anonymousreply 386October 3, 2019 3:49 AM

There was a new girl at my school during one of the Family years and she told everyone to call her Buddy. Her mother, a working woman who didn’t mix herself up in sordid middle school affairs including registering her own kid for classes, found out about seven months into the school year that the daughter was being called Buddy and made the poor kid stand at the main entry door for three day at tell everyone her real name, which was a ridiculous name along the lines of Humoresque, but worse.

by Anonymousreply 387October 3, 2019 4:37 AM

[quote]made the poor kid stand at the main entry door for three day at tell everyone her real name, which was a ridiculous name along the lines of Humoresque, but worse.

Letitia?

by Anonymousreply 388October 3, 2019 4:39 AM

R386=Meredith Baxter, nee Birney, stating her boundaries

by Anonymousreply 389October 3, 2019 10:28 AM

R387-In 1977 no one said MIDDLE SCHOOL. It was called Junior High School.

by Anonymousreply 390October 3, 2019 12:41 PM

Me-Saw-DA agree r385

by Anonymousreply 391October 3, 2019 2:01 PM

r390 Mine was called INTERMEDIATE school (in 1966.)

by Anonymousreply 392October 3, 2019 2:30 PM

[quote]Meredith Baxter, nee Birney, stating her boundaries

Apparently you don't understand what "nee" (actually "née") means.

by Anonymousreply 393October 3, 2019 2:31 PM

r393

Actually it has several definitions: one of them is a synonym for "formerly." Other synonyms for it include "maiden name" and "originally."

So you could say Meredith Baxter nee Baxter-Birney and be correct because she was formerly "Baxter-Birney"

by Anonymousreply 394October 3, 2019 2:39 PM

Yes, r394, but formerly to Baxter Birney she was Baxter....sooo.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 395October 3, 2019 2:45 PM

Plus...

History and Etymology for née

French née, feminine of né, literally, born, past participle of naître to be born, from Latin nasci

by Anonymousreply 396October 3, 2019 2:47 PM

Didn't the Sada Thompson character give birth to a late-in-life baby, alone, in an empty department store, or something?

I'm serious.

by Anonymousreply 397October 3, 2019 3:18 PM

r396 Exactly. It means "born." As in the French Christmas carol that begins, "Il est né, le divin infant." Obviously no one is actually "born" with a name, but it's always a reference to the name you were given at birth.

by Anonymousreply 398October 3, 2019 3:35 PM

r398

It is not THE meaning, it is ONE OF MANY MEANINGS, and ONE OF THE MEANINGS of nee is "formerly."

by Anonymousreply 399October 3, 2019 4:20 PM

No R397, she lost her late in life baby in the same episode when she found out she was pregnant, as told to me by a DLer somewhere in the thread.

by Anonymousreply 400October 3, 2019 5:38 PM

Thank you, r379. I mean, really!

by Anonymousreply 401October 3, 2019 5:55 PM

[quote]No [R397], she lost her late in life baby in the same episode when she found out she was pregnant, as told to me by a DLer somewhere in the thread.

Then, did she [italic]deliver[/italic] a baby in an empty department store? I have some hazy, traumatized memory of this.

by Anonymousreply 402October 3, 2019 5:58 PM

All we learn from Kate herself is that she has lost the child. No details given, to my recollection. Thompson is magnificent in that scene, as always.

by Anonymousreply 403October 3, 2019 7:38 PM

Sada and Jane being all dramatitic.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404October 3, 2019 7:45 PM

Did Kate bury her miscarriage child in the garden?

by Anonymousreply 405October 3, 2019 11:00 PM

I loved it- dealt with issue of the day that most network shows did not.

by Anonymousreply 406October 3, 2019 11:03 PM

[364] asks if I've seen John Rubinstein nude. Odd question, but yes.

by Anonymousreply 407October 4, 2019 3:15 AM

The recording of MOURNING BECOMES ELECTRA with Sada and Jane is one of the most thrilling audio experiences of a play ever. A superb performance of an O'Neill masterwork.

by Anonymousreply 408October 4, 2019 1:08 PM

R402, you are probably remembering the "Princess in the Tower" episode, where Kate delivered a pregnant woman's baby when they were locked inside a model apartment overnight.

by Anonymousreply 409October 5, 2019 3:26 AM

How was it, R407?

by Anonymousreply 410October 5, 2019 3:26 AM

R408=F. Murray Abraham

by Anonymousreply 411October 5, 2019 10:34 AM

[R410] He's still in very good shape. I'd do him... ;)

by Anonymousreply 412October 7, 2019 4:17 AM

How big is the dick, R412? Does he have snowy pubes?

by Anonymousreply 413October 10, 2019 4:19 AM

Me-SAW-Dah

by Anonymousreply 414October 29, 2019 10:58 AM

You-SAW-Dah

Us-SAW-Dah

Them-SAW-Dah

by Anonymousreply 415November 23, 2019 9:03 AM

I was too young to see the program originally. A new channel on my cable ran a marathon a while back and guess who I saw? None other than a young Kim Cattrall with long, dark hair! I didn't realize she's that old, but everyone gets old. I always liked Kristy McNichol and her brother.

by Anonymousreply 416November 23, 2019 10:09 AM

[quote]Miss Sada Thompson on Law & Order

That was her legal name, by the way. She had it changed in 1982.

by Anonymousreply 417March 8, 2020 1:44 PM

In real life Meredith Baxter has a son that's is as old as her parents were on FAMILY in the late 1970's. Her son is 52 years old. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 418March 8, 2020 2:16 PM

In real life Meredith Baxter has a son that's is as old as her parents were on FAMILY in the late 1970's. Her son is 52 years old. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 419March 8, 2020 2:16 PM

I have mostly vague recollections of this, having watched it from the start, then sporadically when went off to university. It was alternately interesting and off-putting, the chilliness and self-indulgence of the family members, but it definitely stood apart from other TV fare of the time, and seemed --at least to me at the time-- to have borrowed a lot from the PBS documentary of the Loud family of a few years earlier, "An American Family."

by Anonymousreply 420March 8, 2020 2:18 PM

In real life - if my father had a son like Willie Lawrence who just sat around all day, her would have said to him-Why don't you get off your FUCKING ASS and get a job!

by Anonymousreply 421March 8, 2020 2:24 PM

me SAW-dah

by Anonymousreply 422March 8, 2020 2:26 PM

Willie can't work he needs to find himself

Daddy, you suck because you'd rather be blind than risk an operation that gives you a 1% chance of survival

Oh my a high school boy hitting on me

by Anonymousreply 423March 8, 2020 2:29 PM

Sada delivered her lines as if she had a crown on her head.

by Anonymousreply 424March 8, 2020 11:22 PM

and that's why we loved her, R424

by Anonymousreply 425March 9, 2020 3:07 AM

God, I loved this show during high school.

by Anonymousreply 426March 9, 2020 6:32 AM

I hated her

by Anonymousreply 427March 9, 2020 6:55 AM

Michael J Fox used to shake every time he got near Sada.

I still think he is misdiagnosed

by Anonymousreply 428March 9, 2020 1:46 PM

Just a good, solid show. Great acting. Willie's love life episodes are kinda dull, however.

by Anonymousreply 429March 9, 2020 2:14 PM

I liked when Willie married the dying girl to get her life insurance, then it turns out she left it to her lesbian lover.

by Anonymousreply 430March 11, 2020 9:53 AM

R430 Was it Buddy? That would be a double insult, it going to his sister.

by Anonymousreply 431March 11, 2020 12:36 PM

Willie screamed GAY. Why didn't they just go there? A sensitive WRITER!

by Anonymousreply 432March 11, 2020 2:37 PM

R430, when was that episode?

by Anonymousreply 433March 11, 2020 4:37 PM

r433

Then Willie got dates by playing up the lonely young widower angle. He was a real piece of work, on the show and in real life.

by Anonymousreply 434March 14, 2020 6:06 AM

From Wikipedia...

[quote]Storylines are very topical, and the show is one of the first to feature what has recently been termed "very special episodes".

by Anonymousreply 435March 14, 2020 10:06 AM

I liked it when Willie wanted to date a black girl who turned out to be a dying lesbian and Buddy was disgusted because her blind husband wouldn't get an operation that would kill him.

Then Kate screamed "I killed Timmy, I hated him. It wasn't Buddy's fault"

Then they all decided to never speak of any of that again.

by Anonymousreply 436March 14, 2020 10:16 AM

R436 you are really unfunny. Please, stop.

by Anonymousreply 437March 14, 2020 12:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!