Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WTF is there still a Bible in every hotel room?!

Any suggestions on what we should do to them?

by Anonymousreply 243September 18, 2019 3:33 PM

There are Bibles in every hotel to remind you that every time you play with your privates you make the saints cry, OP!

Where have you been?

(Just put the Bibles in a drawer so that you don't have to look at them if they bother you that much.)

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2019 2:29 AM

KI knew of a man who put dollar bills in Gideon bibles , because he thought nobody ever read them.

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2019 2:29 AM

If you're not interested in reading it, OP, you could... oh I don't know... just leave it in the draw and forget about it. Do you go into hysterics over the contents of the mini bar too?

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2019 2:31 AM

The Bible is boring and most of its lessons and stories are dumb and/or make no sense. Also it's translated into the most stilted language imaginable. Why would anyone ever want to read it?

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2019 2:32 AM

Maybe....read them?

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2019 2:32 AM

Contact the nearest SJW OP and have this blatant violation of your right to freedom of religion go viral.

by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2019 2:33 AM

I've never been bothered by them. I own a couple of Bibles that were sent to me by other people. I'm not religious. But I use them as reference works, and wasn't actually offended when they were gifted to me.

by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2019 2:34 AM

OP breaks into a case of the sweats and the squirts whenever someone wishes him a Merry Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2019 2:35 AM

It's a silent show of might by the religious majority in this country. If you're young enough and you live long enough, you'll definitely see the tables turn on this issue. Seriously doubt there will still be bibles in every hotel room towards the end of the century.

by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2019 2:37 AM

[quote]If you're not interested in reading it, OP, you could... oh I don't know... just leave it in the draw

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2019 2:37 AM

Depends. If you like the hotel, ignore it. If you don't like the hotel, take it with you when you go out and throw it away somewhere. Make them replace it.

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2019 2:39 AM

The last couple of affordable hotels/motels I've stayed in did not include Bibles. I'm sure forcing Bibles on customers would be a violation of some huge proportion in many people's mind.

OP is lying.

by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2019 2:39 AM

R9 Do you feel the same way when you see someone in a yamulka or a burka? Do you think they're trying to convert you too?

by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2019 2:40 AM

And lies make baby Jesus cry.

by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2019 2:41 AM

The Bible cannot be said to be antigay. Indeed, there are plenty of steamy passages.

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2019 2:41 AM

I suggest reading the old testament. There is some insane God shit going on in there. You'll find it entertaining an appalling way. Like early John Waters or Almodovar.

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2019 2:45 AM

The Gospel According to Judas - mmmmm, now that is some steamy stuff!

Peter was jealous of Mary because she was so close to Jesus and because Jesus publicly kissed her and was publicly affectionate toward her.

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2019 2:46 AM

What a stupid thing to pretend to be offended by.

by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2019 2:46 AM

Guess hotels have good reason not to include The Gospel According to Judas in every room! Woo Hoo!

by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2019 2:47 AM

[Quote] what we should do to them

Burn them.

by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2019 2:55 AM

in a pinch.....cumrag

by Anonymousreply 21September 15, 2019 2:56 AM

OP in the hotel room pointing at a Bible

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 15, 2019 3:02 AM

I needed somewhere to put my condoms and lube "discreetly" so when I had someone over, I could just casually open the drawer and have what I need. I was surprised that they still had bibles in the bedside tables. Most hotels have limited the amount of drawers so people don't leave things there...like how many of them block off the space under your bed, so you don't accidentally leave things under there. It's just a square platform.

The bible must have had some kind of powers because I left the condoms and lube in the fucking drawer next to it! I got to my next destination empty handed (I was still on vacation). Fortunately, I was near a Boots drugstore and discovered Durex makes pretty good lube.

I wonder what the maid thought. As a slutty bottom, I had 3 different sized condoms available in a single ziploc. That's probably not something they normally discover.

by Anonymousreply 23September 15, 2019 3:03 AM

They gotta pad their numbers somehow.

by Anonymousreply 24September 15, 2019 3:03 AM

I wonder if people would so non-chalant if there were a Koran in every hotel room.

by Anonymousreply 25September 15, 2019 3:04 AM

I open it up and write “Jesus was a HOMO” on the inside cover

by Anonymousreply 26September 15, 2019 3:04 AM

korans work as cumrags just as well as bibles

by Anonymousreply 27September 15, 2019 3:07 AM

[quote] non-chalant

Oh, dear.

It's just "nonchalant" one word, dear, no hyphen.

I would not take any more notice of a Koran than I take of a Bible which is none. I have my own reading material, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 28September 15, 2019 3:09 AM

I read the Bible everyday before I go to work to give me strength to survive a terrible place Sometimes I get the urge to steal one from a hotel they look so untouched like no one has opened it. Must be a pretty bad sin to do so. I stayed in a fairly nice hotel recently that didn’t have one.

by Anonymousreply 29September 15, 2019 3:09 AM

Cool your jets, Ayatollah OP. Live and let live.

by Anonymousreply 30September 15, 2019 3:10 AM

OP is an illustration of why Trump won. Smh 🙄

by Anonymousreply 31September 15, 2019 3:12 AM

R23 Throw it away OP, just throw it in the nearest bin, but cover it in shit first.

And those cunts saying just ignore it and leave it alone, GO FUCKING DIE. tHE CUNT RELIGIONS, THROUGHOUT HISTORY, HAVE NEVER LEFT US ALONE, SO NOT, IT IS OUR SACRED DUTY to fuck their shit up and never allow their bullshit fantasy nasty shit be normalized

by Anonymousreply 32September 15, 2019 3:12 AM

Insert hardcore gay sex pix in them.

by Anonymousreply 33September 15, 2019 3:15 AM

To give people who check in to hotels to kill themselves something to read that might change their minds.

by Anonymousreply 34September 15, 2019 3:17 AM

Yellow hi-lite all the dirty parts.

by Anonymousreply 35September 15, 2019 3:18 AM

r35 Bingo. Not that it works.

by Anonymousreply 36September 15, 2019 3:18 AM

R32 needs Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 37September 15, 2019 3:18 AM

Yeah, I had a co-worker years ago who checked into a HoJo at the beach and found a body in her room.

The HoJo paid for her to go to six therapy sessions and comped her stay.

by Anonymousreply 38September 15, 2019 3:20 AM

R32 seems possessed

by Anonymousreply 39September 15, 2019 3:26 AM

R38 That happened to me at the Hotel Cortez.

by Anonymousreply 40September 15, 2019 3:29 AM

It was in a hotel room that I decided to finally read what exactly Leviticus said about gays.

After reading the like about not lying with another man, I got really angry about all the other stuff Leviticus forbids that everyone ignores: can’t wear clothes made of more than one cloth, can’t shave, can’t cut your hair, cant eat shellfish, and on and on and on

by Anonymousreply 41September 15, 2019 3:29 AM

I always piss on the book and then put it back in the drawer

by Anonymousreply 42September 15, 2019 3:29 AM

R41 The bible was poorly translated into English. The line about man lying with another man is actually something like man lying with prostitutes. Clearly men and prostitutes are very different (of course there are male prostitutes...). In other words, man should sleep with someone he loves. Not where sex is a transaction.

by Anonymousreply 43September 15, 2019 3:32 AM

What’s with all the churchies here lately?

by Anonymousreply 44September 15, 2019 3:34 AM

always leave a little jizz for Leviticus

by Anonymousreply 45September 15, 2019 3:34 AM

R44 You don't have to be a "churchie" to not be triggered by a bible to the point you're screaming in all caps are going on a murderous rampage.

by Anonymousreply 46September 15, 2019 3:35 AM

I had to look up "Hotel Cortez" because I'm not a big TV watcher.

by Anonymousreply 47September 15, 2019 3:36 AM

....in case you feel guilty after butt-fucking....

by Anonymousreply 48September 15, 2019 3:40 AM

Do Marriott rooms still have The Book of Mormon (no--not the Broadway musical) in a drawer? They definitely used to.

by Anonymousreply 49September 15, 2019 3:45 AM

Some hotels have a "menu" of religious books you can get.

Personally, I'm more into the pillow menu ... but there's both here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 15, 2019 3:50 AM

Yes, Marriott still includes The Book Of Mormon. And it doesn’t bother me a bit.

by Anonymousreply 51September 15, 2019 3:54 AM

Leviticus is an instruction book to become a priest of Levi. It was never supposed to be a rule book for everyone

by Anonymousreply 52September 15, 2019 3:55 AM

R51 Mormons hate you gay ass and have spent millions to limit your rights. Maybe pretend to care

by Anonymousreply 53September 15, 2019 3:55 AM

Wait.. do all caps = a murderous rampage now?

I must not be caught up.

by Anonymousreply 54September 15, 2019 3:57 AM

The OP is a millennial

by Anonymousreply 55September 15, 2019 3:57 AM

[quote]And those cunts saying just ignore it and leave it alone, GO FUCKING DIE. tHE CUNT RELIGIONS, THROUGHOUT HISTORY, HAVE NEVER LEFT US ALONE, SO NOT, IT IS OUR SACRED DUTY to fuck their shit up and never allow their bullshit fantasy nasty shit be normalized

Don't back down now, R54. You're were acting insane and got called out on it. Have the decency to own up to it. No need to try to gaslight anyone into thinking we didn't read what you wrote.

Anyone who gets that upset over a fucking bible hidden in a drawer of a hotel room needs psychiatric help. I'd hate to see you be confronted with an actual stressful situation like a legal or medical situation. Or your roof leaking.

by Anonymousreply 56September 15, 2019 4:09 AM

I think the OP needs to go and visit the so-called 'Golden Crescent'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57September 15, 2019 4:17 AM

I have a copy of the King James Bible, that was given to me by an insane lady, after I took care of her cat while she was away for a week. I also have a Bible that was passed down to me from my Mom. I'm Catholic, and the Catholic Bible is different than the King James Bible (that's a clue to a teenager to start questioning things). That's all I got.

by Anonymousreply 58September 15, 2019 4:20 AM

R56, you paranoid weirdo cunt, I am R54 and I am not the all caps writer to whom you refer.

I thought (and still think) that equating some DLer's rant with a murderous rampage is dumb hyperbole that should be mocked.

Consider yourself mocked for being a dumb paranoid bitch, too.

by Anonymousreply 59September 15, 2019 4:24 AM

Some of y'all need to pick up a bible.

by Anonymousreply 60September 15, 2019 4:26 AM

No, R29, steal the Bible if you are so moved. That’s why they are there. You won’t go to jail, or hell, for it. They have more to replace it with.

by Anonymousreply 61September 15, 2019 4:27 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62September 15, 2019 4:28 AM

R59, that rant did seem like the closest thing to a murderous rampage in print, to me, too.

by Anonymousreply 63September 15, 2019 4:30 AM

It’s supposed to keep the Evil Spirits away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 15, 2019 4:32 AM

R56 Oh dear, I am the SHOUTER. Nor shall I stop, love protesting against every fucking foul religion.

by Anonymousreply 65September 15, 2019 4:34 AM

R65 Interesting that you're only obsessed with one religion though...

by Anonymousreply 66September 15, 2019 4:35 AM

Listen if it weren't for the bible we wouldn't have had a naked Michael Parks so it's ok by me.

by Anonymousreply 67September 15, 2019 4:36 AM

[quote]Depends. If you like the hotel, ignore it. If you don't like the hotel, take it with you when you go out and throw it away somewhere. Make them replace it.

Actually, the hotel doesn't pay for them. The Gideon Organization provides them.

by Anonymousreply 68September 15, 2019 4:38 AM

[quote]Leviticus is an instruction book to become a priest of Levi. It was never supposed to be a rule book for everyone

I wear his 501s all the time -- do I qualify to be one of his priests?

by Anonymousreply 69September 15, 2019 4:41 AM

Can't we all call a truce? Atheist, Protestant, Catholic, Mormon, and others, Aren't we all DLers? But, I realize it's more fun to argue.

by Anonymousreply 70September 15, 2019 4:42 AM

R65 is the kind of guy that would be running the inquisition, in another era. Here’s his job review:

“William shows great [italic] zeal. [/italic] He has quite a [italic] devotion [/italic] to his work, and is [italic] fanatical [/italic] in his attention to detail. I recommend him for promotion as this seems to be his natural [italic] calling. [/italic]

by Anonymousreply 71September 15, 2019 4:43 AM

For the person who lost their shit over seeing a Bible, do you react the same way when you see money that says "In God We Trust?" If so, please pack up all your money and send it to me. I'll see that it is properly taken care of.

by Anonymousreply 72September 15, 2019 4:43 AM

For that matter, R72, almost 2000 years of Western civilization are built on a foundation of Christianity. He might as well be railing against oxygen. If anyone doesn’t like it, fine, but there are ten times as many people that find the hater’s thinking to be abhorrent.

by Anonymousreply 73September 15, 2019 4:48 AM

R49 Yes. Every room. Every affiliate hotel chain, too.

by Anonymousreply 74September 15, 2019 4:55 AM

R65 I agree about methodists. They were always pragmatic, sensible and spurning of hysterical, mystical melodrama.

by Anonymousreply 75September 15, 2019 5:02 AM

Oh god, R72, 1974 called and they want their joke back.

You are just ancient, honey. Ether that or you're about 13 years old.

by Anonymousreply 76September 15, 2019 5:02 AM

I have my bible from Catholic high school theology classes in the 2000's. We beat those things inside and out learning the structures of the narratives and the deeper political and historical significances of the information they relayed. I used to cheat on our "open bible" exams and write what I thought would be exam question answers in the margins for quick reference. Less well behaved boys would use the rice paper pages for rolling papers when in a pinch.

by Anonymousreply 77September 15, 2019 5:06 AM

R76 You misspelled either.

by Anonymousreply 78September 15, 2019 5:07 AM

That’s how I figure out I’m in a Marriott affiliate actually. I grab most of my hotels last minute on Hotwire or whoever is cheapest. I can’t keep up with who owns the various chains so I check for a BOM.

Very fancy places usually don’t have a Bible. Small mom and pop places sometimes don’t. Pretty much all the chains do. Haven’t seen a Koran yet. I’m an atheist raised Catholic so the bible was never a big part of our religious life. I’ve read parts since to educate myself and have sometimes whipped out the bible in a hotel room just to see the differences between the King James and the bible snippets we were given as kids. It’s kind of insane in a majority Protestant country but I reached adulthood having no idea what Protestants believed but usually I have more fun in hotel hotels I swear!

by Anonymousreply 79September 15, 2019 5:08 AM

Two of the biggest differences between Catholics and Protestants is everything about St.Mary and about the Pope.

by Anonymousreply 80September 15, 2019 5:11 AM

[quote] St.Mary and about the Pope.

OMG -- are they a couple now?

by Anonymousreply 81September 15, 2019 5:59 AM

Protestants are complacent while Catholics are prone to mystical nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 82September 15, 2019 5:59 AM

I've stayed at dozens of hotels and motels all over the US and I really did not see any bibles in the rooms. Could you post some of the hotel names that still had bibles in their rooms?

by Anonymousreply 83September 15, 2019 6:25 AM

So you can hide your gun, silly!

by Anonymousreply 84September 15, 2019 6:47 AM

It would be easier to post those that didn’t. Last weekend I stayed in Loews Hollywood and SpringHill Suites San Diego. Both had bibles. SpringHill also has the BOM. The bible is usually in the drawer of the nightstand or the desk. Marriott Marquis in NYC, Hilton Santa Barbara, Andaz Maui, Thistle London Heathrow and Ibis Nice are hotels I’ve stayed in this year that had a bible. The first thing I do when I get to the room is open every drawer, look under the bed and pull back the duvet.

by Anonymousreply 85September 15, 2019 6:49 AM

Funny this topic is brought up because I stayed in a hotel last weekend, and when I saw a bible in the nightstand drawer I was shocked that they still did that sort of thing.

by Anonymousreply 86September 15, 2019 7:07 AM

The thing I like about the Gideons' Bibles is that the first few pages are the pithy quotes most needed by those who are alone and without hope.

by Anonymousreply 87September 15, 2019 7:09 AM

I always check the Book of Mormon for handwritten messages. I've only found one, and it just said "this book is fiction" followed by URLs for the CES Letter and the ex-Mormon subreddit, but some people go all out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88September 15, 2019 7:23 AM

Conrad Hilton was very generous to me in the divorce settlement. He gave me 5000 Gideon Bibles.

by Anonymousreply 89September 15, 2019 7:27 AM

When I need the space in the drawer (which is rare but has happened when there's 3 to a room) - I put it under the bed (or you could put it on the floor of the closet and put you bags or shoes on top or whatever, to really get it out of the way.) But it's not so big - mostly I ignore it. Some of the Gideon people mean well - they want you to go to heaven ;) It's like when people offer me their prayers I smile and thank them because it's the thought that counts. If they believe that stuff, then they're trying to help me with their woo - whether I believe it is sort of irrelevant.

I may be wrong but I think originally the word "Goodbye" was short for "God be with ye". And Thursday is named after Thor, the god of thunder or whatever. It's just part of the cultural fabric, not always a conspiracy to hurt you.

by Anonymousreply 90September 15, 2019 7:29 AM

In Irish “hello” is “Dia dhuit” which means god be with you. And the response is “Dia is Muire duit” which means God and Mary be with you.

R90 reminded me of that.

by Anonymousreply 91September 15, 2019 7:34 AM

R66 Oh no, honey, I mistrust them all, do interventions when I can, and when friends join one they thick is cool, I inform on all the shit the religion believes and pushes. Because people stupidly seem to believe the smiley religions like baha'i, hari krishna and buddists are fine with homsexuality and lesbianism, but they are not, just as dark and controlling as islam, judaism and christianity.

by Anonymousreply 92September 15, 2019 7:36 AM

So what if there's a bible in your hotel room? Do you feel an inexplicable unease when in its presence? Does your skin burn when you try to touch it?

Find something better to be outraged about you fucking queen.

by Anonymousreply 93September 15, 2019 7:55 AM

R93 Cunt off filth frau

by Anonymousreply 94September 15, 2019 8:03 AM

In nearly every motel in Utah, eastern Nevada, western Colorado, and southern Idaho, you will find a Book of Mormon rather than a Bible I feel as though the kind of mom-and-pop motels now run across the country by people from India, there are fewer Bibles than used to be found, but that is just a subjective impression, as I have no statistics on that. It's not as though they've replaced them with the Bhagavad Gita, I just don't think they put much emphasis on replacing those that are taken from the room.

by Anonymousreply 95September 15, 2019 8:18 AM

What's your problem with Episcopalians, R65? They accept and welcome gays.

by Anonymousreply 96September 15, 2019 8:34 AM

R96 Nope,, hate women and gays and I went to a Episcopalian school and the priest raped other pupils and the school found out and did nothing

by Anonymousreply 97September 15, 2019 8:48 AM

I agree with 7. I am an early modernist and it's essential to working on the period's texts.

Like it or not, the Bible has informed a lot of European art, literature, music ...

by Anonymousreply 98September 15, 2019 9:23 AM

R98 ...murder, corruption, torture

by Anonymousreply 99September 15, 2019 9:40 AM

r99, you sound rather limited.

by Anonymousreply 100September 15, 2019 9:42 AM

[quote]Cool your jets, Ayatollah OP.

What the hell kind of rightwing jerkoff are we attracting nowadays? This sounds like something an ignorant redneck in the 1970s would say.

by Anonymousreply 101September 15, 2019 10:05 AM

[quote]Find something better to be outraged about you fucking queen.

OP isn't even close to outraged.

Just because your far-right idiot ass is on Orange Alert 24/7 because you let Fox News angry up your blood doesn't mean everyone is walking around in a constant state of seethe.

by Anonymousreply 102September 15, 2019 10:07 AM

It is nothing to be offended by, bur it is something to be against.

by Anonymousreply 103September 15, 2019 2:11 PM

[quote] Some of y'all need to pick up a bible.

I would if I was close enough to throw it at you.

by Anonymousreply 104September 15, 2019 2:18 PM

The hotels don't buy the bibles the Gideon society provides them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105September 15, 2019 2:20 PM

I think it's funny everyone's getting irritated with the OP for posing a question, but (unless i missed it), no one has really given a reason as to why a Bible should be in a hotel drawer in the first place. In fact, more than a few responses and jokes make no sense.

People who read the bible religiously would carry their own text - particularly since people seem to be drawn to translations that suit their own particular religious needs (like the King James vs American Standard vs New Revised Standard Versions for example).

So . . .

What function does placing a Bible in a hotel serve, and why do hotels allow it?

by Anonymousreply 106September 15, 2019 2:25 PM

R92 is one of those obnoxious atheists who acts just like a fundie, constantly trying to convert everyone around him because he considers it his "calling" to "educate" and bring everyone around to the "right" side.

And of course he runs around telling everyone about how "religious freaks" are trying to convert him, oblivious to the fact he's engaging in the exact same behavior.

I'm agnostic and just leave everyone the fuck alone to believe or not to believe. Nobody tries to convert me and I don't try to convert them. We'll see who was right when we're dead.

by Anonymousreply 107September 15, 2019 2:26 PM

For rocky raccoon

by Anonymousreply 108September 15, 2019 2:30 PM

To remind you dirty sluts that it's a sin to fornicate with those filthy whores you pick up at truck stops, rest rooms, and seedy bars.

Instead there should be a Jesus picture on the wall in every room, the ones with the eyes that follow you around the room and really can see you commit your evil acts of lust and lewdness.

by Anonymousreply 109September 15, 2019 2:34 PM

For those of you who are complaining about finding Bibles in hotel rooms, you must be butt ugly. Is Grindr or Scruff not working for you?

by Anonymousreply 110September 15, 2019 2:42 PM

R109: Kinky.

by Anonymousreply 111September 15, 2019 2:54 PM

Did anyone else have parents who had a picture of Jesus or the Virgin Mary over their marital bed? Mine did and I still find it so weird.

by Anonymousreply 112September 15, 2019 3:08 PM

R101, it originally was “Cool your jets, Ayatollah OP. Live and let live.”

You left off the “Live and let live.” part, for some reason. Kinda dishonest of you.

by Anonymousreply 113September 15, 2019 3:17 PM

[quote] R102: Just because your far-right idiot ass is on Orange Alert 24/7 because you let Fox News angry up your blood doesn't mean everyone is walking around in a constant state of seethe.

Reads like a demented rant. Live and let live, Sir,

by Anonymousreply 114September 15, 2019 3:19 PM

Right wing Fascists of old were burning books. Why not add the Bible? It’s a Jew book after all.

/s

by Anonymousreply 115September 15, 2019 3:21 PM

R114 Agreed. There is more hatred in R102's sentence then there is in an entire prime time line-up on Fox News.

by Anonymousreply 116September 15, 2019 3:22 PM

R23 here - I just realized it's possible the maid didn't look in the drawer & what if someone later came in looking for the bible and got a drawer full of condoms and lube? Blessed day!

by Anonymousreply 117September 15, 2019 3:24 PM

[quote] r103: It is nothing to be offended by, bur it is something to be against.

I disagree with, but respect this.

by Anonymousreply 118September 15, 2019 3:25 PM

R116=liar and bigot. Let's face it, the right has been in a civil war with the United States, with humanity, with decency, and with anything and everything that doesn't promote lies they are too stupid to uphold on their own.

by Anonymousreply 119September 15, 2019 3:31 PM

More hysteria from R119. And he wonders why nobody will fuck him. Hence why he's on DL 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 120September 15, 2019 3:33 PM

R119 is indeed hysterical, as R120 writes. One need not be Right wing to find his histrionics deplorable.

Let a thousand flowers bloom.

by Anonymousreply 121September 15, 2019 3:45 PM

I delivered newspapers to a cranky old lady who made my 10-year old life miserable. I went to collect back-payment once and she closed the door on my face, saying “Not on a Sunday, not on a Sunday”. Well, that was her belief, not mine. I’m sure she was just lonely.

As an adult, there was another cranky old lady on my street. She made everybody miserable. Screamed about how your cars were parked on the street, many times. Then she saw me planting flowers in the tree bins along the street, and I became her best friend. Also, just lonely,

And then she died.

by Anonymousreply 122September 15, 2019 3:51 PM

How would you take the oath of pee pee party if there was no Bible in the hotel room?

by Anonymousreply 123September 15, 2019 4:01 PM

If someday you decide to read it you will find that the bible was written for every single person individually. If something you read doesn't make sense to you it is because it doesn't pertain to your life at the moment. If you are looking for help with something you can find it in there. I have always marveled at how the Bible was written and how so many people don't take the time to try and look/understand/relate to it. It is completely about life.

by Anonymousreply 124September 15, 2019 4:05 PM

Just like the horoscope R124.

by Anonymousreply 125September 15, 2019 4:12 PM

R124 Meh sure peoples can sift through it and pick and chose bits are applicable to them. That’s what everyone those even those who claim to be bible literalists. I think it’s a bit disingenuous though to paint the bible as a big self help book. I have noticed that American Christianity has being very influenced by the prosperity gospel and the self help movement especially how it’s practiced by young men and gay men. At the end of the day whatever bets you through the night and I have no issue with someone finding comfort in the bible or any religious text. Still, I can’t help but think it’s a verrry narrow interpretation when Christians focus only on the happy crappy self help quotes and the idea that their beliefs will be rewarded with riches and god health. It’s Instagram Christianity really but it is what most young women and gay men men mean when they tell me they are Christian. Not all. But most in my circles. If they are confronted with any of the darker elements of the faith or even asked about the history of their branch you get a blank stare. I went on a date with a Christian who didn’t even know what a denomination was but he had a positive bible quite ready for every situation.

by Anonymousreply 126September 15, 2019 4:14 PM

All of this will change when you elect Marianne Williamson as President. She will bring healing to the world.

by Anonymousreply 127September 15, 2019 4:21 PM

You can request they be removed. The hotel doesn’t provide them. They’re provided by groups like the Gideons or Marriott family who place them (and Book of Mormon) in their hotels.

Its a non issue to a hotel to request their removal. Put it in your hotel profile. (Please remove all religious materials, bibles, etc)

by Anonymousreply 128September 15, 2019 4:28 PM

[quote]Its a non issue to a hotel to request their removal. Put it in your hotel profile. (Please remove all religious materials, bibles, etc)

Can you ask them to replace it with something else I worship? Like a naked rentboy?

by Anonymousreply 129September 15, 2019 4:36 PM

[Quote] You can request they be removed. The hotel doesn’t provide them.

I don't think anyone here is offended by them. We all probably think it is just a waste of time, money and resources in this day and age. Who really wants to read it, probably has a copy of it in their luggage anyway.

by Anonymousreply 130September 15, 2019 4:44 PM

Related: have you ever seen anyone reading a bible or religious text in a hotel? I did for the first time in Disneyworld. I saw several families reading from their bibles at the dinner table and many families saying grace before eating. It doesn’t bother me in any way but it’s hard not to chuckle at the sight of people, brows furrowed in devotion mumbling their bible....in Chef Mickeys! There seemed to be correlation too between religious belief and enthusiasm when meeting characters. The families who said grace or read from the bible were often the most vocal and made the biggest spectacles of themselves (the adults) when the characters came to their table.

by Anonymousreply 131September 15, 2019 4:50 PM

Write a note in the margins of the first page recommending @ThatBloke_Jesus on Twitter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132September 15, 2019 4:54 PM

R129 Alexandra Daddario retweeted a photo a fan posted on Twitter. He'd booked a room at the Hyatt and requested a photo of her on the nightstand in advance. When he checked in he discovered they did (a swimsuit shot from Baywatch no less).

She then tweeted:

[quote]Hi @HyattConcierge next time I stay with you can you put framed photos of my dog around and send a man to my room to lay shirtless on my bed and whisper in my ear that my dog is the cutest dog in the world and I’ve done such a good job raising him.

by Anonymousreply 133September 15, 2019 5:05 PM

R126, I know. I was raised Catholic and religious. My nephew started taking his family to a new Church. It didn’t sound Catholic so I asked what denomination it was. Both he and his wife drew a blank, like I asked for the dates of the 30 year’s war.

by Anonymousreply 134September 15, 2019 5:13 PM

[quote]If you're not interested in reading it, OP, you could... oh I don't know... just leave it in the draw

How's everything up in Boston, R3?

by Anonymousreply 135September 15, 2019 5:20 PM

Leviticus says it's an abomination to lie with a man as with a woman...

...so dammit, the next time your boyfriend asks whether his too-tight clothing makes him look fat, be honest and say 'yes' instead of lying as you'd do with a woman.

Moral quandry solved.

by Anonymousreply 136September 15, 2019 5:28 PM

As the link at r105 suggests, this is all the result of some closet cases looking for a cover story to have hotel trysts.

by Anonymousreply 137September 15, 2019 7:59 PM

The Gideons estimate 25% of hotel guests read their books. That seems really over-estimated. They always seem unopened, to me.

by Anonymousreply 138September 15, 2019 8:18 PM

[quote] korans work as cumrags just as well as bibles

Before Miles was my boyfriend, I used a lot of Koreans as cum rags.

by Anonymousreply 139September 15, 2019 8:23 PM

does anyone know what religion or sect those people who stand around tourist attractions and train stations are? There’s usually 2 or 3 of them sitting behind a cardboard cutout or a table with flyers. They don’t say anything or try to stop people, they just sit there. I’ve always been curious who they are and how they have the time and ability to do that because most of their are young enough to still be working.

by Anonymousreply 140September 15, 2019 8:23 PM

^ Usually Jehovah's Witnesses I think.

by Anonymousreply 141September 15, 2019 9:12 PM

Maybe we should start inserting some counter-religious messages in between the pages.

by Anonymousreply 142September 15, 2019 9:13 PM

Usually JWs. Sometimes, you'll see 7th Day Adventists. Both are very pleasant groups of people.

by Anonymousreply 143September 15, 2019 10:40 PM

If you want to piss off two groups at once, print out a copy of OT-3 (a/k/a, "the Xenu story") and use it to bookmark Genesis.

by Anonymousreply 144September 15, 2019 10:45 PM

[quote]does anyone know what religion or sect those people who stand around tourist attractions and train stations are?

Jehovah's Witness. They are trying to be one of the 144,000 that make it into Heaven. (Even though that's based on a whacked out interpretation of the Scripture).

by Anonymousreply 145September 15, 2019 10:57 PM

[quote] I think it's funny everyone's getting irritated with the OP for posing a question, but (unless i missed it), no one has really given a reason as to why a Bible should be in a hotel drawer in the first place.

A few of us told you one common reason--to give pause to people who check in to kill themselves.

by Anonymousreply 146September 16, 2019 12:16 AM

[quote]no one has really given a reason as to why a Bible should be in a hotel drawer in the first place.

Reading material when it's a slow night on Grindr.

by Anonymousreply 147September 16, 2019 12:35 AM

I've tried reading the bible and it takes me like an hour to get through one page.

I doubt it would deter suicide. It would just remind me I am shitty & slow at reading... if I even noticed I was there.

by Anonymousreply 148September 16, 2019 12:49 AM

r28, usually when I am most chalant, I seek to be underwhelmed.

There is balance on DL.

Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 149September 16, 2019 12:51 AM

R29, can you recommend something in particular you read that helps you before work? I’m not the religious type, but I did use the Bible to get me through a very bad time when I was a younger person and admittedly I’m going through a tough time with my work. I dread Sundays and feel like giving up on it all by Monday morning.

by Anonymousreply 150September 16, 2019 12:55 AM

r145 my favorite passage. I use it when they come to my door. I ask how many JW's are there? Then I ask well there are already way too many to get into heaven since only 144,000will be allowed in so why are you trying to recruit me and make your chances even slimmer. They never answer but do stand there thinking about it.

by Anonymousreply 151September 16, 2019 2:13 AM

Who the fuck are these Gideon people?

by Anonymousreply 152September 16, 2019 2:28 AM

R152 Who the fuck are these weirdos on here defending religion, FFS learn history you non gay shit heels

by Anonymousreply 153September 16, 2019 2:46 AM

Thank you, r124. You're the only one with a combination of both heart and head on this very sad thread.

by Anonymousreply 154September 16, 2019 2:53 AM

R154 Oh just fuck off you patronizing cunt

by Anonymousreply 155September 16, 2019 3:08 AM

always leave a condom in the bible, or if you've used them all a splash of splooge.

by Anonymousreply 156September 16, 2019 3:18 AM

I think the Bibles are there to help people going through hard times (and who may be considering suicide). Something about being in a motel or hotel room alone can feel very desolate and lonely.

by Anonymousreply 157September 16, 2019 3:23 AM

Who reads the Gideon Bible?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158September 16, 2019 3:37 AM

I'll be in my room alone

Ev'ry Post Meridian

And I'll be with my diary

And that book by Mister Gideon...

by Anonymousreply 159September 16, 2019 3:42 AM

Post MERIDIEM r159.

by Anonymousreply 160September 16, 2019 3:43 AM

R157 cause bibles are full of fun times for homosexuals, and endless support and advice

by Anonymousreply 161September 16, 2019 3:44 AM

Leave them alone for the guest who might read it and find solace if needed.

by Anonymousreply 162September 16, 2019 3:44 AM

Use it as toilet paper

by Anonymousreply 163September 16, 2019 3:55 AM

Oops, r160! I copy pasted from a transcription posted on a song lyrics website!

by Anonymousreply 164September 16, 2019 4:04 AM

And then there is this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165September 16, 2019 4:09 AM

And then there's Maude...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166September 16, 2019 4:11 AM

I was coming home from the store yesterday. My very cute, fit neighbor Joshua was outside, working on one of his cars. I went into the garage to get some cat food out for the stray cats. My neighbor Tammy was out on our her front porch swing, and yelled out a Hello to me. Joshua had been interrupted by two LDS missionaries, and was doing his best to politely send them on their way. I actually felt bad that I missed the LDS missionaries, since they're rather rare where I live (Ohio). I'm a gay Catholic, and it's not a secret. I chat with everyone, and welcome anyone to chat with me.

by Anonymousreply 167September 16, 2019 4:12 AM

The anti-bible guy can be as nutso as he wants: meanwhile, the numbers of out gay clergy are growing.

by Anonymousreply 168September 16, 2019 4:18 AM

There was an episode of Maude where Walter found religion. I remember nothing about it except that as usual there were some great lines and great social observations.

The abortion episode, the domestic violence episode, the alcoholism arc, the gay bar episode, the guilty white liberal “backup black” episode, the menopause episode. Maude was good stuff and it would never greenlit today. I watch and cannot believe that this was considered a family sitcom. What the fuck happened to us.

by Anonymousreply 169September 16, 2019 4:20 AM

[quote] R153: Who the fuck are these weirdos on here defending religion, FFS learn history you non gay shit heels

Most people aren’t supporting religion so much as being more like “mind your own business” or “live and let live”.

by Anonymousreply 170September 16, 2019 4:20 AM

I used to bring a local gay bar guide back to my hotel room, then before leaving, slip a few pages inside so they'd fall out when the next guest opened the bible, they might go out and have some fun. It's God's work.

by Anonymousreply 171September 16, 2019 4:41 AM

R153 Atheism is just another religion and their believers are worse than jihadi Muslims.

by Anonymousreply 172September 16, 2019 4:43 AM

R170 Gee, if only every fucking religion in the world would take they view of us, that would be very good. Maybe you could send them a memo asking them all to end their endless hatred of homosexualists

by Anonymousreply 173September 16, 2019 4:44 AM

R172 I’m an atheist and that’s an unfair statement. They’re no “they” and there’s no belief. If you are talking about the groups of white libertarian dude bros who post atheist videos to YouTube or congregate on Reddit then yep those guys are obnoxious and homophobic and misogynistic. But can hardly be compared to jihadists and as someone who lost family on 9/11 I fucking loathe throwaway comparisons to terrorists. It’s every bit as thoughtless and juvenile as comparing anything you don’t personally like to Nazis.

As someone who has no religion and does not believe in the existence of any God or Gods I have no other word to use than atheist. I do not meet with other atheists, there is no belief system, I don’t discuss my lack of belief on forums because that would be a lot of blank space. It’s not the first time that someone has called the identifier for a total local of religious belief a religion but invariably this episode people have been so accustomed to being around people of faith that they simply cannot envision a lack of belief and what that looks like in practice. I’ve had people ask me “well what do you worship” “well who do you pray to” and been accused of worshipping Satan/money/sex/Hilary Clinton (lol)/“Hollywood”/witches. Again I let it roll off my back because I honestly believe those people just cannot see past their world view and imagine a life where you don’t worship anyone and you don’t think about it anymore than you go around thinking about the fact your eyes are blue or your nipped are pink.

by Anonymousreply 174September 16, 2019 4:56 AM

So you can pray your gay away.

by Anonymousreply 175September 16, 2019 5:12 AM

Missionaries have to account for every minute of every day. In addition to being door-knocking pests, they’re encouraged to put in “service” time, which they love to do because it’s a break from being pests. So if cute, fit Joshua (Joel’s brother by any chance?) had asked, they would have jumped at the chance to help him fix his car.

This is just something to keep in mind next time you need help drilling a glory hole or hanging a sex swing.

by Anonymousreply 176September 16, 2019 5:28 AM

R150 I have been stuck on psalms for years Usually I pick a random page some days it helps more than others. I memorized the 23rd psalm because of the movie A Trip To Bountiful.

by Anonymousreply 177September 16, 2019 6:11 AM

r172, not all non-believers are alike. We just agree on the non-existence of The Deity.

Just godless heathens unique in all our individuality.

by Anonymousreply 178September 16, 2019 7:12 AM

R106 The answer to your simple question is that a lot of business travellers have nothing to do in the evening in unfamiliar towns. A Bible can pride solace to those who are alone between eating an evening meal and going to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 179September 16, 2019 7:37 AM

Oh DEAR, 178 posted this on the 'my friend is in prison for being a pedo' thread....

Friend Arrested and Sentenced The Law should differentiate between 1. Genuine boy sex-abusers. and 2. Celibate boy-porn watchers......

Why are so many christians child rapists? It just seems so common

by Anonymousreply 180September 16, 2019 7:56 AM

FUCK, R179 I mean, is the christian pedo,

by Anonymousreply 181September 16, 2019 7:59 AM

I *always* rip out Leviticus and Romans’ from every bible I come across in a hotel. They make decent rolling papers in a pinch.

by Anonymousreply 182September 16, 2019 8:10 AM

I can't believe people have no idea why a group decided to put bibles in hotel rooms - and why most hoteliers went along with it.

It's 'Merica, mate! Something like 90% of people believe in "God" - and most of them mean the judeo-Christian one. There's some crap in there somewhere (the teachings I mean) that tell you you're suppose to "prose·lytize"- it's like a fucking obligation to try to "spread the good word"

Well if you got the fanatical group, the Gideons, who take this shit LITERALLY - and you've got another group, hoteliers, who were the same fucking kind of people (church-going - Christianity believing) - then voila, of course, both groups are gonna say GREAT FUCKING IDEA. We can spread that word like our Jeebus wants (or Paul or whoever the hell said go out and spread this bullshit)

Yes, I know most hoteliers are now Indians or whatever, but they KNOW the damned population of white people here would give them hell on a skewer if they said - not in my place, mate. They can't say that!! And they don't give a shit. It's a stupid book. when you need to sign your pizza delivery receipt, it gives you a hard surface to put the receipt on to sign it - or to fill our a form or whatever - so you don't have to bend over to the table. See, it's even utilitarian !!

You don't like it? Stick the book in your bag and go throw it in the outside trash. Then the fuckers will have to spend more money replacing it -which is better than sending more money to Trump's reelection campaign which of course they're also doing...

by Anonymousreply 183September 16, 2019 8:46 AM

^ Yes, Kamala needs to take a stand about "that fanatical group", the Gideons,

by Anonymousreply 184September 16, 2019 8:49 AM

Dear r180, you evil cunt, I went through my posts and could not find the one you attributed to me.

But looking at the post you claim is mine, haven't YOU ever wondered why there are so many Christian child rapists?

Christians seem to embrace depravity and project their crap on others.

by Anonymousreply 185September 16, 2019 9:03 AM

re Maude

[quote]I watch and cannot believe that this was considered a family sitcom. What the fuck happened to us.

The rethugs discovered that they could retain political power by revving up the religious nutjobs and bigots

by Anonymousreply 186September 16, 2019 2:33 PM

[quote] R173: Gee, if only every fucking religion in the world would take they view of us, that would be very good.

You can’t control the world. You can only control yourself, maybe. Mind your Ps and Qs.

by Anonymousreply 187September 16, 2019 2:52 PM

[quote] R180: Oh DEAR, somebody posted this offensive paragraph on this other thread...

R180, You should assemble a dossier. One on each DataLounger. Every typo, every shortcut, every stupid, thoughtless and horrible thing - record it all, and report back. R180, you are the very thing you object to. Obsessive, judging, persecuting. Join the Inquisition, why don’t you?

That all said, take a breath and stop attacking. Look at yourself. A Bible isn’t hurting anybody. You included.

by Anonymousreply 188September 16, 2019 3:36 PM

Bible pages make great rolling papers for your joint when you're in a pinch!

by Anonymousreply 189September 16, 2019 3:48 PM

Well, they wrote that wine “makes glad the hearts of man”, so I’m sure they’d approve, except for inhaling that ink.

Fun fact: the ink used on beef is made from grape juice. Yes, it is!

by Anonymousreply 190September 16, 2019 4:06 PM

R188 It's a trend on all threads right now. Some people constantly check everyones posting history and call them out for something they posted on a completely different topic or post stuff like "OP is also 2,6,9,14" when all he did is reply to different posts. This is still supposed to be an anonymous board so WTF?

by Anonymousreply 191September 16, 2019 4:12 PM

My friend, a cartoonist, draws a big penis inside every hotel Bible

by Anonymousreply 192September 16, 2019 4:48 PM

R192--- Sorry, but pretty much everyone is a penis cartoonist.

by Anonymousreply 193September 16, 2019 5:37 PM

My friend used to draw a cartoon character everywhere. I had to tell him it was a phallic stand-in. A schmoo, I think he called it. I think he stopped drawing it.

Sorry, John, but it is.

by Anonymousreply 194September 16, 2019 5:45 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195September 16, 2019 5:46 PM

Better hotels do not allow for bibles to be left in rooms.

I am sure Motel 6's and Red Rooster Inns across the South have plenty of bibles for you.

by Anonymousreply 196September 16, 2019 5:48 PM

Perhaps open it up and stop getting fucked up the ass, you sinner.

by Anonymousreply 197September 16, 2019 5:56 PM

Marriotts have bibles and the Book of Mormon, and they are some of the better hotels, sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 198September 16, 2019 6:09 PM

I had a religious studies professor tell us the Koran is actually a beautifully written book.

by Anonymousreply 199September 16, 2019 6:11 PM

I take one of the complimentary desk pens and scribble out In The Beginning and write above it Once upon a time...

by Anonymousreply 200September 16, 2019 6:45 PM

R200 I smash the Bible with the lamp on the nightstand.

by Anonymousreply 201September 16, 2019 6:50 PM

there's a reason they're there

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202September 16, 2019 8:00 PM

they're useful for many reasons

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203September 16, 2019 8:01 PM

It’s to help Catholics pray that they don’t get pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 204September 16, 2019 8:26 PM

catholic boys don't get pregnant, that's why they're perfect

by Anonymousreply 205September 16, 2019 8:28 PM

R188 Of course you think pedos are cool. You christians are just neat

by Anonymousreply 206September 16, 2019 8:36 PM

you can be surprised by all the useful things you can find in opening a bible

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207September 16, 2019 9:26 PM

[quote]WTF is there still a Bible in every hotel room?!

Because sailors still have a girl in every port.

by Anonymousreply 208September 16, 2019 10:31 PM

"The abortion episode, the domestic violence episode, the alcoholism arc, the gay bar episode, the guilty white liberal “backup black” episode, the menopause episode. Maude was good stuff and it would never greenlit today. I watch and cannot believe that this was considered a family sitcom. What the fuck happened to us."

What are you talking about? That's all latter-day entertainment IS. Lectures, problem dramas, issues, grievance, liberal white guilt...but why go on? It's all crap. And musical theatre in particular has gone right into the crapper because of it.

by Anonymousreply 209September 17, 2019 12:18 AM

Aunt Edna gave a young married couple a Bible for their wedding. The couple never opened it, and put it on their shelf. Every time they visited Aunt Edna, she would ask if they’ve been reading their Bible, and of course they said they were, but were not. The years go by and Aunt Edna finally dies. The niece is moved to open the Bible to look for a funereal reading. When she got to psalms, she found a hundred dollar bill.

by Anonymousreply 210September 17, 2019 12:37 AM

If you ever want an easy way to de-Christianize someone who's generally logical and doesn't tend towards blind acceptance of authority... challenge them to make a list of the chapters of the New Testament that deal with Jesus's post-Resurrection tour, read them, and report back to you what they've read.

Try not to laugh when they realize that the actual KJV has something like 6 paragraphs in total that are directly related to the time between Jesus' death on the cross and his ascension into heaven... really SHORT paragraphs, almost completely devoid of anything you'd consider a tangible detail.

Try not to laugh even harder when they realize that Jesus wasn't actually walking around in his original body. If Yahweh is an alien, he could have basically let the poor guy die a horrible death on the cross, swept in, disposed of the body, and sent another agent to go meet with his former disciples using intel gathered by surveillance before extracting that agent, then going out for a beer and a good laugh about those tragic h00manz after the mission debriefing.

Roughly a third of the text will leave you wondering whether alleged-resurrected-Jesus was even an actual living person, or just an elaborate augmented-reality hologram, an instance of shared mass-hysteria, or something comparable.

Seriously. I'd venture a guess that 80-90% of people who self-identify as "Christians" have never personally read the specific chapters that form the basis for their entire religion, and have NO IDEA just how sparse the entire theological foundation of Christianity really is. That's why the Church originally wasn't keen on allowing people to read the Bible themselves... the priest could go on for hours and hours over the span of multiple sermons, making it sound like Jesus went on a fabulous extended post-resurrection victory tour. The actual text is rather devoid of meaty details.

by Anonymousreply 211September 17, 2019 12:48 AM

R211, *sigh* you try so hard.

In the 4th century, the Church excluded what didn’t sound or read right, to their ears and eyes. There were a lot of writings that got left out because it couldn’t be trusted to be “gospel”.

And most people couldn’t read then, and had the mental capacity that you seem to have.

R211, I suggest you make an hour appointment with a spiritual advisor , to explain why you are so right and he wrong. There was a famous writer who did so, and he did so weekly for over 30 years. You might enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 212September 17, 2019 1:03 AM

In 325, the early church "fathers" voted on what was ans was not included in the Bible.

They made a big mistake by incorporating The Revelation of St John the Divine. It made the Bible by ONE vote. It is a comic book, it needs to be in the Apocrifa with the likes of the Book of Enoch (Angelology).

by Anonymousreply 213September 17, 2019 1:45 AM

Well, if you say so, R213.

by Anonymousreply 214September 17, 2019 1:52 AM

r214, it was called the First Ecumenical Council.

Google is your friend.

by Anonymousreply 215September 17, 2019 2:04 AM

The gospel of Luke made it in the Bible by one vote. Therefore just too many points that are different from the other three gospels

by Anonymousreply 216September 17, 2019 2:59 AM

I like the early Church’s conclusion that Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are one, yet three. It’s a really advanced concept for the 4th century.

by Anonymousreply 217September 17, 2019 3:10 AM

r217, it's also the silliest. God (the father) is an incorporeal being, and differs from "the holy spirit"... how?

I grew up Catholic, and got into a SHITLOAD of trouble in 6th grade for daring to ask my CCD ("sunday school") teacher for any specific example of what "the holy spirit" actually did, or how it meaningfully differed from "the father" (she couldn't think of one & got really flustered when the rest of the class piled on top like a football tackle) 😜

by Anonymousreply 218September 17, 2019 4:03 AM

I agree, R218. I was a protestant for my first 14 years and my church leaders told me that 'the holy spirit' did nothing but monitor us all day and night.

I lost interest soon after that.

( I hear some sects call it 'the holy spirit' and others call it 'the holy ghost'.)

by Anonymousreply 219September 17, 2019 4:20 AM

Numerology says something about 1 and 3 being great "holy" type numbers but 2 sucks. Also 12's an excellent number (12 apostles).

Can't remember the details but some professor I had years ago explained the belief in numerology at the time - and the use of it in the bible. But it relates to the "Holy Trinity" and explains why you have to have a Holy Ghost for the third one because god knows (excuse the pun) you couldn't have a female like Mary as one of the 3.

Somebody really badly wanted a goddess - the Irish? pre-Christian Italians? - oh I don't know - but anyway, they made up stuff about Mary being a kind of 'demi-goddess' - she was born without sin (Immaculate Conception), didn't have to die (the Assumption) so they only kind of got their goddess back.

Hebrews were such dicks about females.

by Anonymousreply 220September 17, 2019 1:46 PM

Oh and the three "wise men" who read the stars and saw that Jesus was born were obviously astrologers.

by Anonymousreply 221September 17, 2019 1:48 PM

[Quote] I like the early Church’s conclusion that Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are one, yet three. It’s a really advanced concept for the 4th century

And it doesn’t make any sense whatsoever. One of many things in religion you’re just supposed to believe... and give your money to the church

by Anonymousreply 222September 17, 2019 2:46 PM

R218, these CCD teachers aren't mystical sages. They are, many times, just volunteers. My sister taught and she knows next to nothing. Don’t look to them for the answers of the ages. This may be why the average Catholic idiot is not encouraged to read the Bible without someone to explain it.

Think of a star. It appears as a pinpoint, having only one dimension, yet we know it’s a big ball. Bring the ball closer like the moon. It appears as a disk, having length and width but not depth. It’s two dimensional, yet we know it’s a sphere. Now bring it closer, like a basketball at our feet. We can now see that it has three dimensions, length, width, and depth. It could be the same object, but our ability to perceive it as it is, is limited, so we perceive it differently in each case.

I think of the Trinity that way. We cannot really conceive of it. The three manifestations appear different, but they are only what we can perceive. This is my own conception and I’m sure the Church could explain it better, and your CCD teacher is probably as mystified about it as we all are. It is a mystery.

by Anonymousreply 223September 17, 2019 3:38 PM

Wouldn’t it be cool if tarot cards replaced the Bible?

by Anonymousreply 224September 17, 2019 3:59 PM

Ian McKellen said that whenever he found a Gideon bible in an American hotel room, he'd rip out of the page of Leviticus that condemned homosexuality (among other things), and throw the page away.

I've loved him for years because of that, and have done the same myself.

by Anonymousreply 225September 17, 2019 4:51 PM

A mystery?

Is it a mystery why the fairy godmother turned Cinderella's carriage back into a pumpkin at midnight?

Because fairies work in mysterious ways?

by Anonymousreply 226September 17, 2019 5:05 PM

[quote]Oh and the three "wise men" who read the stars and saw that Jesus was born were obviously astrologers.

Go back and read your Bible. There were not three wisemen. There were wisemen bearing three types of gifts. There could have been two, there could have been one hundred. The magi were a group of science minded men. They are mentioned in the book of Daniel. They had been around for hundreds of years and specifically went to Bethlehem based on the teaching of Daniel.

by Anonymousreply 227September 17, 2019 5:27 PM

This is hardly worth arguing about because it's all made up, but a quick search gave me this:

The Star of Bethlehem, or Christmas Star, appears only in the nativity story of the Gospel of Matthew, where "wise men from the East" (Magi) are inspired by the star to travel to Jerusalem. There they meet King Herod of Judea, and ask, "Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews?

by Anonymousreply 228September 17, 2019 5:44 PM

The COLDS have an UNseen Goddess who fucks Heavenly Father to pop out spirit babies who then CHOOSE their families and make women pregnant in the corporeal world.

The show Lucifer has a Mormon pantheon of Christian/Biblical/Apocryphal people. Lucifer's mother, the wife of Heavenly Father, was quite hot.

by Anonymousreply 229September 17, 2019 6:32 PM

r223, my primary beef with "the trinity" is the fact that the Catholic Church (and many other Christian denominations) regards it as extraordinarily important and a fundamental, non-negotiable belief... yet can't coherently explain WHY it ultimately makes the slightest bit of difference whether or not "a good Catholic" believes it.

It would be like strapping high school Chemistry students into a rack and torturing them until they convince you they believe with all their heart that a proton is composed of two 'up' quarks and a 'down' quark, each with a unique color aspect... killing them for their apostasy if they admit that they don't personally care what color the quarks are, or what their electrical charges are, because it's adequate for their purposes to know that a proton simply has a net charge of +1.

On the hierarchy of Catholic beliefs, belief in "the trinity" ranks close to the absolute top of the list... yet almost NOBODY in the Church, INCLUDING most parish priests, can coherently explain what the fuck they're even talking about, let alone why it genuinely matters and is viewed as such a profoundly important core belief. You can say, "I believe in the holy trinity", admit that you don't have the slightest idea what a holy trinity even IS, let alone why it matters, and the church is cool with that... but admitting that you don't think it's important to believe in something that can't even be properly and unambiguously defined would have historically gotten you classified as a heretic of the worst kind. That's what makes it such total bullshit. The Church (as an institution) considers belief without understanding to be a virtue of "faith" and somehow worthy of esteem.

by Anonymousreply 230September 17, 2019 6:33 PM

The trinity was a capitulation to Jews who believed in ONE god and that the Christians, apparently believe in three. So Christians were forced to contrive a linguistic gymnastic that the three faces of Christianity are really the old testament god.

Religious pig lipstick in the shade "Blood of Christ".

by Anonymousreply 231September 17, 2019 6:37 PM

R231: you’re doing gymnastics, now.

by Anonymousreply 232September 17, 2019 6:57 PM

No idea. I keep my lube and condoms in beside it when I'm whoring and wonder the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 233September 17, 2019 7:34 PM

I was right.

by Anonymousreply 234September 17, 2019 8:50 PM

No you weren't.

by Anonymousreply 235September 17, 2019 8:51 PM

[quote] The gospel of Luke made it in the Bible by one vote.

Can you source this? I've never heard this before.

by Anonymousreply 236September 17, 2019 9:00 PM

I hear Saint Paul was rather gay.

by Anonymousreply 237September 18, 2019 1:07 AM

R237, was that via drum beats? Or smoke signals?

by Anonymousreply 238September 18, 2019 1:10 AM

Dear R238, it was whispered to me between the vestry and the clerestory.

by Anonymousreply 239September 18, 2019 1:13 AM

You’re a miserable asshole,. Just sayin’

by Anonymousreply 240September 18, 2019 1:37 AM

Stick some pages together with shampoo and leave it up to the reader’s imagination.

by Anonymousreply 241September 18, 2019 2:01 AM

I’m going to stay on a hotel tonight that will invariable have a Bible in it.

This thread has given me lots of ideas

by Anonymousreply 242September 18, 2019 1:35 PM

R242, people who desecrate hotel Bibles get served cheeseburgers with snot in them.

by Anonymousreply 243September 18, 2019 3:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!