Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ex-Wales rugby captain Gareth Thomas reveals he has HIV

After coming out as gay in 2009, the rugby star reveals he has HIV.

Very brave of him for talking about this, although apparently a tabloid newspaper found out so I guess he didn’t have much of a choice. Wish him all the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266November 16, 2019 4:54 PM

Just beautiful. Let's fucking canonize him now.

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2019 10:18 PM

[quote] Wish him all the best

Being HIV positive with modern medicine isn't really that scary. As long as you take your meds you will be fine.

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2019 10:18 PM

He'll likely stay (sort of) healthy, and continue to whore his way around. And the gay-bashers just got another big round of ammo thanks to his stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2019 10:20 PM

Fuck. I know that having HIV is no longer a terminal diagnosis, but I wish to hell that it had been eradicated by now. I hate that guys are still contracting it, especially when it’s easy to stay negative. I feel for him. He’s a lovely man who’s done so much for gay men.

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2019 10:21 PM

[quote]I hate that guys are still contracting it

Athletic people are whores. He's probably had it for a /while/ now.

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2019 10:23 PM

Does that mean he's a bottom?

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2019 10:24 PM

^^^ probably

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2019 10:26 PM

He's one of those guys that just has that HIV look. It's a certain je ne sais quoi.

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2019 10:28 PM

He is obviously very reckless. He was also sleeping with men when he was still married to his wife. She’s lucky she didn’t get anything.

I wish this nonchalant attitude about HIV didn’t exist. People still die from other complications brought on by it, yet people think of you just pop a pill everything will be OK.

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2019 10:30 PM

I bet he looked HAF while catching it!.

by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2019 10:31 PM

People are dying from HIV because of non-compliance r9. Non compliance with your medical plan is a huge problem and can lead to a lot of complications.

If you do what the doctor tells you to do, it will be managed fine.

by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2019 10:32 PM

[quote]Being HIV positive with modern medicine isn't really that scary. As long as you take your meds you will be fine.

Yeah if you don’t mind possibly having several side effects from the medication.

by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2019 10:33 PM

People want to act like HIV is no big deal, yet nobody mentions the outrageous medical costs a person will have if they get this disease.

by Anonymousreply 13September 14, 2019 10:38 PM

9 years no side effects and hardly a dime of cost

by Anonymousreply 14September 14, 2019 10:48 PM

I want to hear the story of how he got HIV. I bet it was hot

by Anonymousreply 15September 14, 2019 10:49 PM

He has an unbelievable body.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 14, 2019 10:49 PM

Karma.

by Anonymousreply 17September 14, 2019 10:49 PM

Butt

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 14, 2019 10:51 PM

R18 so that's the scene of the crime?

by Anonymousreply 19September 14, 2019 10:54 PM

R1. I'm not sure what you're saying.

by Anonymousreply 20September 14, 2019 10:54 PM

sounds like a smarmy slut shaming

by Anonymousreply 21September 14, 2019 10:56 PM

So nine years.... he got it at 37?

by Anonymousreply 22September 14, 2019 11:00 PM

Does this guy have Undetectable HIV or genuine Detectable HIV?

My twink friends (who say they're UHIV) insist there's a big difference between the two.

by Anonymousreply 23September 14, 2019 11:02 PM

[quote]My twink friends (who say they're UHIV) insist there's a big difference between the two.

Isn't one like an undercover cop and the other is like a cop in a uniform?

by Anonymousreply 24September 14, 2019 11:09 PM

His husband, who's 56, claims that he was ignorant when it came to HIV? How the fuck does that happen? The AIDS epidemic happened when that man was in his 20s.

by Anonymousreply 25September 14, 2019 11:12 PM

I'm saying it's pathetic that in this decade people are still seroconverting, r20. PREP has been around for years, in addition there's the apparently mystical concept of not spreading your cheeks for everything with a cock. The Jesus freaks use shit like this to show that we can't keep control of our urges, and then use that to fuel their sick fantasies about us going after children.

And for the dude who called it "smarmy slut shaming", actually smarmy is bragging about how HIV treatment is "free". It may be free for the sluts, too bad about everyone else's insurance premiums going up because of it.

by Anonymousreply 26September 14, 2019 11:18 PM

If someone ate themselves into a heart attack or diabetes, smoked themselves into lung cancer, or offed themselves by "accidentally" overdosing on opioids, nobody here would be congratulating them. Yet for some reason becoming poz makes you a brave hero. I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 27September 14, 2019 11:21 PM

I want his cum in me

by Anonymousreply 28September 14, 2019 11:32 PM

nice segue R28 off of R27

by Anonymousreply 29September 14, 2019 11:35 PM

I was diagnosed 12 years ago, take my one Atripla a day (totally Free in the UK) and I'm fine. The side effects went away after about 6 weeks.

I have 2 appointments per year with the HIV clinic, I go to my dentist more often and I dread that.

Gareth is being a bit of a Drama Queen.

by Anonymousreply 30September 14, 2019 11:42 PM

He's probably been advised to be like that to feed the traditional narrative.

by Anonymousreply 31September 14, 2019 11:46 PM

I can pretty much guess how the tabloids found out.

Because HIV is now treated at open Sexual Health Clinics in the UK it's always pretty obvious who the HIV patients are, because the staff all know you by name and you don't wait around in a queue like everyone else. You walk in at your scheduled appointment time and are called straight in. It's a dead giveaway, everybody else is sat around waiting for hours.

by Anonymousreply 32September 15, 2019 12:11 AM

He was threatened:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 15, 2019 12:20 AM

Lightly shaved:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 15, 2019 12:27 AM

Damn that sucks, I hope he stays positive !

by Anonymousreply 35September 15, 2019 12:34 AM

r34 I love that shaved regrowth look.

by Anonymousreply 36September 15, 2019 12:35 AM

Gareth looks a Oriental Shorthair cat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 15, 2019 12:36 AM

He does!

by Anonymousreply 38September 15, 2019 12:37 AM

He needs to stop with the tattoos. They're hideous.

by Anonymousreply 39September 15, 2019 12:41 AM

"Gareth looks like a Oriental Shorthair cat."

Sorry, I'm old.

by Anonymousreply 40September 15, 2019 12:43 AM

One pill a day and he can live up to 80 as long he takes good care of himself. Be strong!!

by Anonymousreply 41September 15, 2019 12:45 AM

R27 We can still be compassionate, regardless. Nothing uglier really than to suggest someone "deserves" it or had it coming.

by Anonymousreply 42September 15, 2019 12:57 AM

And again, r42, would we be as compassionate to any of the other people I mentioned. If Chrissy Metz keeled over from a massive heart attack, would anybody here be compassionate?

I'm pretty sure staying positive isn't going to be a problem for Gareth anymore, r35...

by Anonymousreply 43September 15, 2019 1:12 AM

R43 = borderline sociopath

by Anonymousreply 44September 15, 2019 1:18 AM

He is so sexy because he is so scary (and I'm talking BEFORE the hiv diagnosis).

He looks like he'd brutally rape you and then break your neck afterwards as soon as look at you.

by Anonymousreply 45September 15, 2019 1:21 AM

I would love to fuck him from behind

by Anonymousreply 46September 15, 2019 1:23 AM

R43 Yes I would feel bad for her. I don't revel in a "Told you so" moment of schadenfreude myself, regardless of whatever cause and effect or responsibility someone played in their own misfortune. I don't think people are praising him at all for contracting a virus, yet how he's handling it in the press. I suppose you feel he should be so ashamed, he must go crawl into a dark hole to die. It's one thing to preach safe sex and educate, yet completely another to kick an old chap when he's down. The Rugby community is strong and very loyal, I suspect he's getting good support from them, he doesn't need people like you anyway R43

by Anonymousreply 47September 15, 2019 1:45 AM

He looks HIV positive. I know its awful to say but there is a look in the face they all get. I know there are drugs that combat wasting if that is an issue nowdays but there is still a facial giveaway.

by Anonymousreply 48September 15, 2019 2:25 AM

R26 I agree with you in saying it's pathetic that ignorant, over-entitled twinks are still seroconverting in this decade DESPITE me and my fellow-taxpayers paying MILLIONS every years for over 30 years telling ignorant, over-entitled twinks about what is healthy and what is not.

'Throwing good money after bad' is not good!

by Anonymousreply 49September 15, 2019 2:27 AM

R48 it’s a stupid thing to say

by Anonymousreply 50September 15, 2019 2:33 AM

r49 Honestly I'm in my 20s and it's not that bad, yeah some boys are stupid but let's just say that natural selection will take care of them. Most of us are aware.

by Anonymousreply 51September 15, 2019 2:34 AM

[quote] And the gay-bashers just got another big round of ammo thanks to his stupidity.

R3, Sod off! He contracted a virus. It could have been from one encounter. Stop shaming people for contracting a virus or getting sick. You're no better than the anti-gay imbeciles from the eighties onward who blamed the "gay lifestyle" on Aids. Sod off!

by Anonymousreply 52September 15, 2019 2:40 AM

He has a scorpion tattoo so that’s kinda fitting.

by Anonymousreply 53September 15, 2019 2:50 AM

[quote] I agree with you in saying it's pathetic that ignorant, over-entitled twinks are still seroconverting

You think Gareth Thomas is a twink???

How old ARE you???

by Anonymousreply 54September 15, 2019 2:54 AM

He looks it.

by Anonymousreply 55September 15, 2019 3:44 AM

Raif Derrazi's video on Gareth

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56September 15, 2019 3:44 AM

"If Chrissy Metz keeled over from a massive heart attack, would anybody here be compassionate?"

Yes. We would be drowned out by the asshole trolls but that's life.

It's not an excuse to be an asshole. How old are you, may I ask?

by Anonymousreply 57September 15, 2019 4:06 AM

Twitter compassion = No compassion.

Digital compassion costs nothing and has no value.

by Anonymousreply 58September 15, 2019 4:09 AM

Watched his documentary on homophobia, boring as fuck.

Can famous homos not get Aids, it is just so tacky and backward. Just use condoms, bozos

by Anonymousreply 59September 15, 2019 4:12 AM

What a waste. Looking like that and being a bottom.

by Anonymousreply 60September 15, 2019 4:51 AM

^^^^^ that's what makes him so damn sexy

by Anonymousreply 61September 15, 2019 5:01 AM

His whole endlessly covered by the press journey of coming out has just been misery from start to now.

All the hand wringing at the start about his 'betrayal' of his wife and suicide attempts as he hated being gay, blah blah,

Dating that fat short pig Sean Smith, who was an obvious son man, and never distancing himself from the trash

All media coverage of him has been him pushing a miserable life view. And now dumb ass is positive. Hope it makes the endless self loathing cunt actually postive/happy, cause his journey has just been an endless miserable carcrash

by Anonymousreply 62September 15, 2019 6:13 AM

Don't forget when he was the victim of a homophobic attack last year

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 15, 2019 6:16 AM

His life may be 'an endless miserable carcrash' but he was given lots and lots of money for his ability to kick a ball around on the grass.

by Anonymousreply 64September 15, 2019 6:17 AM

R64 And yet. He has never known any joy from his sexuality, every interview, always a big ginga misery guts

by Anonymousreply 65September 15, 2019 6:18 AM

Jesus, does this guy have a dark cloud following him around ?

by Anonymousreply 66September 15, 2019 6:22 AM

R65 Lots of gays don't like anal. They just do it out of peer pressure. This Gareth person may be weak-willed and lame-brained.

by Anonymousreply 67September 15, 2019 6:22 AM

Why do so many DLers WW such hateful retarded nastiness about HIV?

by Anonymousreply 68September 15, 2019 6:23 AM

^ HIV is nasty! It can kill you, R68.

by Anonymousreply 69September 15, 2019 6:25 AM

I hope he's fine, I have no problem with people with HIV, I just wish they weren't so many representing gay men, it gives us a bad rep and it's depressing as fuck. Also according to CDC most people getting aids these days are straight, time to show some straight people living with HIV.

by Anonymousreply 70September 15, 2019 6:29 AM

most people getting AIDS these days?

by Anonymousreply 71September 15, 2019 6:31 AM

Is there a source to that claim R70?

by Anonymousreply 72September 15, 2019 6:35 AM

R68 Damn, fine question.

by Anonymousreply 73September 15, 2019 6:36 AM

I'm sorry, majority of people living with HIV worldwide is straight, in America gay men still make the majority but it's declining.

by Anonymousreply 74September 15, 2019 6:44 AM

[quote]His husband, who's 56, claims that he was ignorant when it came to HIV? How the fuck does that happen? The AIDS epidemic happened when that man was in his 20s.

Typical case of someone thinking something like that could NEVER happen to them, so no need to learn about it.

by Anonymousreply 75September 15, 2019 6:50 AM

Do you know the difference between getting HIV and developing AIDS, R70.

by Anonymousreply 76September 15, 2019 6:50 AM

HIV is the virus AIDS is the disease. No need to school us on the words.

by Anonymousreply 77September 15, 2019 6:54 AM

R42 Why should we be compassionate for a man who was sleeping with men behind his then-wife’s back? He is an asshole for putting her health at risk. Thank goodness they got divorced before he caught HIV.

by Anonymousreply 78September 15, 2019 6:55 AM

Do we know when he was infected. There are plenty of women who did NOT get hiv despite poz men splooging their pussies. Of course some women get infected this way but it's possible not be infected.

by Anonymousreply 79September 15, 2019 7:03 AM

[quote] If Chrissy Metz keeled over from a massive heart attack, would anybody here be compassionate?

I would feel sorry and as I scroll down further I am glad a few other posters would be, too. There is a difference between schadenfreude for a fall from conservative grace like Aaron Schock (or the death of a real enemy of the gay / lgbtq community) and an actual death of a woman who isn't known as anti gay or anti lgbtq. There is a line a shady bitch like me wouldn't cross.

Regarding Gareth Thomas. Maybe it's because I am just binge watching Pose's first season again that his HIV announcement feels like a punch in the gut. It's horrible that assholes would use such information in 2019 to blackmail him.

There is nothing wrong with showing compassion and maybe realizing that celebrity culture creates a toxic environment where people are put on a pedestal only to be under scrutiny and ready to be dismissed for being not the right kind of role model.

by Anonymousreply 80September 15, 2019 7:12 AM

R78 I'm not in the business of telling people they [italic] should [/italic] be compassionate, as I leave that to parents of young children, teachers, ministers, priests. and rabbis. What I did say however was "we can still be compassionate". You live your life your way, and I shall remain non judgemental and compassionate. I think I may have enough compassion to cover your deficit I suppose; don't trouble yourself by my remarks.

by Anonymousreply 81September 15, 2019 7:12 AM

R80 Cheers for your compassion.

by Anonymousreply 82September 15, 2019 7:14 AM

So even if it's just one pill per day now for the REST OF YOUR LIFE, what are your plans for the zombie apocalypse?

I do not need daily or regular medication so I often wonder what people will do after a natural disaster (like the people on the Bahamas right now), political unrest, shortages (after Brexit for example) or financial crises. I know this applies not only to HIV, but do people with chronic diseases make plans for that? There are also currently shortages for many drugs (even for antibiotics or cancer treatment) bc it just isn't lucrative enough for companies to produce them anymore. If someone contracts HIV in his early 20, he could need medication for 60 years or more (unless they find a cure). With climate change and everything else going on right now, this would worry me.

by Anonymousreply 83September 15, 2019 7:23 AM

Gods, he is such a fuckwit, everything ever out of his mouth is just so stupid.

Public information campaigns in the 1980s, warning people to take precautions against Aids, have left a legacy of misunderstanding, he says. Advances in medicine now allow people who are HIV positive to live long healthy lives. With effective treatment, the virus cannot be passed on.

.........Or, the stupid cunt could have just used a condom, which which have known about for 30 fucking years, and then he would be not be positive.

"When I first found out that I was going to have to live with HIV, the first thing I thought was straight away: I was going to die," he said.

.....................Just pig ignorant, they only person pushing stereotypes and misinformation, is him

by Anonymousreply 84September 15, 2019 7:26 AM

I hate this ' HIV is not a death sentence anymore ' because it sends a message to young people that getting HIV is just like a cold, you take a pill a day and you'll be fine. I dont agree with this normalization, it's still a serious disease and if you live in certain parts of the world getting the drugs is not easy, specially in homophobic countries like Russia.

by Anonymousreply 85September 15, 2019 7:29 AM

r83, you die either way. When you worry, you die. When you don't worry, you die, too. To control the circumstances of your death (like when you die) is kind of moot when the end result remains the same.

Do you want to live a life of constant worry? Because there will always be something you are not prepared for.

by Anonymousreply 86September 15, 2019 7:33 AM

That's an ugly old 45. Looks like he's been in a fire.

by Anonymousreply 87September 15, 2019 7:39 AM

You let someone ejaculate up your butt what do you expect?

by Anonymousreply 88September 15, 2019 7:39 AM

It's very sad. He certainly should have known to take precautions. My ex-BF is HIV positive. I only found out by accident (I work in health insurance) and I cried and mourned for weeks. He'll never know it. I tried to tell him what I knew (he could get me fired, pronto, for HIPAA violaions). He just slammed the phone down. He's still my best and closest friend. But we've never talked about that.

by Anonymousreply 89September 15, 2019 8:06 AM

R89 Your post makes no sense, how does he not know?

by Anonymousreply 90September 15, 2019 8:25 AM

r90 I think it's kinda like he knows he knows (yeah I know) but doesn't want to hear it out loud. That's what I understood from that anyway.

by Anonymousreply 91September 15, 2019 8:29 AM

He's like Prince and George Michael, except he didn't take that to the grave.

by Anonymousreply 92September 15, 2019 8:45 AM

I assume blackmail is the reason these athletes come out in the first place. NOT out of some sense of obligation.

by Anonymousreply 93September 15, 2019 9:13 AM

Saw a pic and he had like two teeth missing.

by Anonymousreply 94September 15, 2019 9:15 AM

[Quote] I tried to tell him what I knew (he could get me fired, pronto, for HIPAA violaions).

What did you say? "I condole you." You shouldn't have even broached the issue of what you were not supposed to know. You sound like a twit.

by Anonymousreply 95September 15, 2019 11:18 AM

Shame on all of you passing judgment on this man's status. You do not know how or when he contracted HIV. Or whether he was still with his wife or not. Gareth Thomas has been a positive role model to men everywhere, especially in the sports world in Britain, that can be brutally homophobic. Since his retirement from rugby, Thomas has kept in the public eye, demonstrating that a gay man can have a successful career in rugby union (at the club and national levels), do well in rugby league, and then go on to participate in local and national pastimes.

Educate yourselves. It could happen to any of us.

Bunch of Pat Robertsons!

by Anonymousreply 96September 15, 2019 11:43 AM

R96 I did educate myself. And I didn't do foolish things.

by Anonymousreply 97September 15, 2019 11:47 AM

How can anyone be so stupid to catch HIV nowadays ? You're either a bareback slut or dumb as a rock .

by Anonymousreply 98September 15, 2019 12:35 PM

Remembered reading this gossip about him on LPSG

[quote]I've been shown a photo by a couple that have met him, pretty big and he's apparently a mega bottom according to them...

[quote]My mate met him on Grindr at his house. He had his door open and was on all fours on his bed. Total bottom...oh and confirmed he has a huge cock, but not really interested in using it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99September 15, 2019 12:37 PM

His dick

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100September 15, 2019 12:40 PM

His dick

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101September 15, 2019 12:40 PM

That's not a big dick.

by Anonymousreply 102September 15, 2019 12:52 PM

I'd be more interested in discussing the risk taking than the actual sexual practices that brought him HIV (we all know about that side of things). On all fours waiting for someone he met online to arrive... there's planning to all that. It's not an "oops" moment. He wasn't simply "in the heat of the moment."

by Anonymousreply 103September 15, 2019 12:54 PM

Prep’ers are delusional. More than 50% of people don’t take medication regularly rendering it completely ineffective, and that includes people with chronic life threatening conditions like cancer and HIV. 30% of prescriptions are NEVER FILLED.

People lie all the time. You think an oversexed Grindr homo is going to tell you the truth about taking Prep? Laughable. Wake up. If you think Prep is going to save you, you’re a fool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104September 15, 2019 1:12 PM

Wow @ the gay’s nastiness towards other gay fellows. You all must be all saints. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 105September 15, 2019 1:57 PM

r105

You make me sick.

by Anonymousreply 106September 15, 2019 2:10 PM

This is why I only do dogging.

by Anonymousreply 107September 15, 2019 2:10 PM

[quote]Being HIV positive with modern medicine isn't really that scary. As long as you take your meds you will be fine.

Research reports from 2019:

HIV infection and antiretroviral therapy are associated with increased risk of cartilage damage in the knee associated with osteoarthritis

Anal cancer treatment less effective and more likely to cause side-effects in people with HIV

Sudden cardiac death is more common in people with HIV

Nicotine metabolized at a faster rate among HIV-positive smokers

Smoking cannabis is an independent risk factor for lung disease in people with HIV

Fatty liver disease a rising cause of liver problems in people with HIV

HIV infection an independent risk factor for poorer survival from liver cancer

Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: a growing health problem in people with HIV

Higher mortality in elderly HIV-positive people with prostate, breast or colorectal cancer

by Anonymousreply 108September 15, 2019 2:52 PM

I believe some of the above and expect I will pass in my late 60's or early 70's from one of these "co-morbidities" as my doctor calls them.

by Anonymousreply 109September 15, 2019 3:20 PM

R108 All of that is probably true and it is why somebody with HIV has a huge panel of very expensive tests at least one a year. Luckily for Gareth they are Free in the UK as is all of his HIV treatment.

People like Gareth who are Undetectable (the virus is suppressed) suffer very few complications.

by Anonymousreply 110September 15, 2019 3:47 PM

Again: why do we say "seroconverting" instead of "becoming infected". Is this more "stigma-feels" bs?

by Anonymousreply 111September 15, 2019 4:16 PM

While I do have sympathy for Gareth, I have to admit R43 has a point. If Chrissy Metz died from an illness in which obesity is a factor, DL would be fucking merciless.

by Anonymousreply 112September 15, 2019 4:32 PM

He's not dead. He needs no one's compassion. And his "come and get it, boys" pics suggest he's continued to have a gay old time. Storm in a teacup.

by Anonymousreply 113September 15, 2019 4:36 PM

I must admit, it makes me smirk that some of the people who likely typed their fingers raw about having an out masc role model are probably mute right about now...

by Anonymousreply 114September 15, 2019 4:39 PM

I find it endlessly frustrating that people are acquiring HIV in these days, but I do think he was in a particular situation. A lot of guys who come out later in life go on a spree - finally being able to experience gay life and they go overboard, like they're in their 20's.

Add in the fact that he's famous, he had a LOT of guys going after him - if only to say that they had him. A lot of these guys are the more loose types - lots of drugs and indiscriminate sex.

It can provide a very skewed view of gay life. I know of guys who came out late in life who think that this is normal behavior - or expected behavior. When I tell them it isn't, they honestly seem shocked. They throw themselves into the deep end - but it's not where you should start swimming.

The majority of gay men live relatively normal lives - with maybe more sex than straights - but not THAT much more. Then there's a very active 20% or so - which is a large group but still a minority - that are sex and other kinds of addicts who seem to control the view of our scene.

What I don't understand is his older and unattractive partner had no knowledge about HIV and the worse side of being gay. That's just stupid.

by Anonymousreply 115September 15, 2019 4:52 PM

I don't believe that claim from his partner. I think it's meant to paint him as an innocent, and thus a wholly "good" gay ("He's probably never even heard of frottage, never mind cottaging" etc.), while Gareth is "good but lost his way." It's a load of bollocks how thinks are framed in the media for the straights.

by Anonymousreply 116September 15, 2019 4:55 PM

"If someone ate themselves into a heart attack or diabetes, smoked themselves into lung cancer, or offed themselves by "accidentally" overdosing on opioids, nobody here would be congratulating them."

It's the other way around. Conservatives bash people for dying of AIDS and say "they deserved it" but don't say the same thing about people who smoke and get lung cancer or fat people who get diabetes or heart disease

by Anonymousreply 117September 15, 2019 4:58 PM

So how’d he catch it by being a bareback whore or by trusting a loving partner?

by Anonymousreply 118September 15, 2019 5:03 PM

R118 barebacking whore see R99

by Anonymousreply 119September 15, 2019 5:05 PM

Never mind his dick pic in R100 - what the fuck is going on with that rug / carpet thing?

by Anonymousreply 120September 15, 2019 5:09 PM

So why isn’t he selling his story as “I was irresponsible and this can be the consequence of being irresponsible, so gay men should still take every precaution they can if there going to have sex with multiple partners”

by Anonymousreply 121September 15, 2019 5:11 PM

r121

That angle doesn't work. See: condom usage stats.

by Anonymousreply 122September 15, 2019 5:14 PM

R97, you needn't do "foolish things" to acquire HIV.

Accept yourself, and accept others as they are. You are shaming, stigmatizing, and ostracizing this man from the very community that should embrace him. Gareth Thomas like countless gay men before him and today contracted a virus while searching for a human, emotional connection and attachment. It is much of the time not rational. Of course, we must be do everything possible to reduce the risk of HIV, but Gareth Thomas (and other gay men who are HIV +) should not be stigmatized and shamed, because he caught a virus in seeking emotional connections through his sexual expression.

The shame is on those who are judgmental, holier than thou, moralists.

by Anonymousreply 123September 15, 2019 5:34 PM

Surely he got HIV from being embraced.

by Anonymousreply 124September 15, 2019 5:41 PM

You don’t have to bareback to have human contact, though you’d think by now they would have invented an all in one whore pill that protects you from HIV and all other std’s.

by Anonymousreply 125September 15, 2019 5:43 PM

Why find a cure when you can profit from medication?

by Anonymousreply 126September 15, 2019 5:45 PM

So we're so supposed to start worshipping drag queens now, r114? I'm going to go out on a very wide limb and suggest that most of the names on the quilt weren't "straight-acting". R115 nailed it - he was closeted, came out and then sexually went nuts. It's a story older than time. It doesn't have jack shit to do with how masculine he was, other than the fact that it apparently made him a snank-magnet.

It doesn't change any of the dynamic that a masculine professional sports star coming out would be a game-changer for gay rights. I just hope the next one (or really the first one here in the USA) has more common sense than Gareth had.

by Anonymousreply 127September 15, 2019 6:56 PM

That Sean Smith business partner of his seems to have had a rough time (see link)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128September 15, 2019 6:56 PM

[Quote] So we're so supposed to start worshipping drag queens now, [R114]?

Or maybe, ya know, relax about how people present? You're all sucking dick.

by Anonymousreply 129September 15, 2019 6:58 PM

Snank?

by Anonymousreply 130September 15, 2019 6:58 PM

Abso-fucking-lutely, r129. Tell it to r114 and her apparent hatred of masculinity.

by Anonymousreply 131September 15, 2019 6:59 PM

[Quote] It doesn't change any of the dynamic that a masculine professional sports star coming out would be a game-changer for gay rights. I just hope the next one (or really the first one here in the USA) has more common sense than Gareth had.

Would you be comfortable if they guy also comes out as a total bottom?

by Anonymousreply 132September 15, 2019 6:59 PM

That would be amazing, r132. It would break some of those bullshit stereotypes about topping and bottoming versus femininity. Plus is there anything hotter than the image of a (legit) masculine, ripped muscular jock bent over begging for it?

by Anonymousreply 133September 15, 2019 7:03 PM

R132 / R132 A few people on this thread have already outed Gareth as a total bottom, on the mistaken assumption that only a bottom can get HIV.

by Anonymousreply 134September 15, 2019 7:04 PM

Isn’t it statistically harder for tops to catch it? although it does happen.

by Anonymousreply 135September 15, 2019 7:10 PM

[Quote] A few people on this thread have already outed Gareth as a total bottom, on the mistaken assumption that only a bottom can get HIV.

Aren't people assuming because of the "on his back, presenting hole" pic above?

by Anonymousreply 136September 15, 2019 7:12 PM

I’m grateful for this thread, which has enabled me to block so many wretchedly self-righteous and hypocritical frauen, prisspots, and Borises.

I hope someone blackmails you all into revealing personal health information, thus causing your loving, tolerant, compassionate gay brethren and sistren to blame you for being sick.

by Anonymousreply 137September 15, 2019 7:16 PM

R136 Surely that's not really Gareth "on his back, presenting hole". Anyway, he's probably uncut so there we are: much easier to get HIV, or so the theory goes.

by Anonymousreply 138September 15, 2019 7:17 PM

[quote] It doesn't change any of the dynamic that a masculine professional sports star coming out would be a game-changer for gay rights. I just hope the next one (or really the first one here in the USA) has more common sense than Gareth had.

Yup, just blame the man for getting a virus. It must be nice never making a mistake!

by Anonymousreply 139September 15, 2019 7:17 PM

r138

Are there higher incidences of HIV in countries where the men tend to be uncut?

by Anonymousreply 140September 15, 2019 7:19 PM

Some of you really need to give the hand wringing a rest. Gareth Thomas now has a new avenue to exploit for celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 141September 15, 2019 7:20 PM

What I don’t like about this story is the half truths, yes it’s sad that he caught it but he could go into how he caught it, the reasons why (if he was from irresponsible behaviour) he acted like that. If he told his story from a POV of “I was in the closet for so long that when I finally came out I went a little crazy and had unprotected sex with multiple partners”. I’d respect him for owning that story (as repression and shame can really fuck with your sense of self) and for being able to educate younger men who watch gay porn see barebacking everywhere and think its all good, if your on prep it still doesn’t protect you from all the other nasties out their.

by Anonymousreply 142September 15, 2019 7:32 PM

You might respect him, but the str8s would leap on it to promote stereotypes.

by Anonymousreply 143September 15, 2019 7:36 PM

R143 the str8 always act like they are above us, ethically and morally.

by Anonymousreply 144September 15, 2019 7:40 PM

I’m interested to know when he seroconverted - the assumption in this thread is that it was relatively recently.

If that’s not correct I’m just waiting for one of the tabloids to try and connect the dots to see if he was positive while playing rugby at a time when treatments were still being developed.

by Anonymousreply 145September 15, 2019 7:47 PM

It's crazy that he's getting so much attention just for getting his hole filled with poisoned cum. If he had the clap you would see the pearl-clutching and Prince William and Jez Corbyn would be much less friendly about it.

by Anonymousreply 146September 15, 2019 7:52 PM

How vivid, R146.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147September 15, 2019 9:45 PM

R146 I'm not sure what you're saying there.

Is Jeremy Corbyn and Prince William involved in this mess too?

by Anonymousreply 148September 15, 2019 11:13 PM

Yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149September 15, 2019 11:19 PM

"Writing through the Kensington Palace Twitter account on Sunday, William said: "Courageous as ever - legend on the pitch and legend off it. You have our support Gareth." He signed off with his first initial "W"."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150September 15, 2019 11:21 PM

I wonder if gareth thomas' "enormous strength" has "offered any hope and resolve" to Jeremy corbyn and all his multiple messes.

by Anonymousreply 151September 15, 2019 11:22 PM

Hey Jezza, I've got the syph: can you praise my enormous strength in declaring myself clapped out please?

by Anonymousreply 152September 15, 2019 11:26 PM

Jeremy, I have a crippling addiction to empty-headed, mega-bottomed Jamaicans!

Will you praise me?

by Anonymousreply 153September 15, 2019 11:30 PM

[quote]Surely that's not really Gareth "on his back, presenting hole".

Of course that's him, taken from people that was messaging with him on the apps. Are you blind? I mean you can make him out pretty clearly.

by Anonymousreply 154September 15, 2019 11:32 PM

What is Gareth Thomas living on nowadays?

His savings? We know he he gets free treatment from the NHS for his HIV.

by Anonymousreply 155September 15, 2019 11:34 PM

He almost looks like the robot from Red Dwarf.

by Anonymousreply 156September 15, 2019 11:35 PM

[quote] yes it’s sad that he caught it but he could go into how he caught it.

We all know how he got: from riding a tractor in a Speedo.

by Anonymousreply 157September 15, 2019 11:37 PM

R154 I don't have the leisure to study such things like you with a magnifier: when I saw it, I thought, "Could be almost anyone." Still, he's obviously been fucking around without due care and attention and now has ... support from the Royal Family and from Jezza and others. R155 Gareth is living off his fame as an HIV survivor-warrior. As the great, late Dame Barbara Cartland said, "You are either in show business or you're not." Gareth is definitely in show business.

by Anonymousreply 158September 15, 2019 11:48 PM

He seems pretty ok

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159September 15, 2019 11:52 PM

Is InstaHo his new job? Great. This is exactly why they hate us.

by Anonymousreply 160September 15, 2019 11:54 PM

R155 It seems that he is fairly wealthy from rugby and investments and he still doesn't have to pay for his HIV treatment (or any other prescription drugs as he lives in Wales)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161September 16, 2019 12:01 AM

R161 That article is nearly 5 years old. He has to pay income tax and national insurance. The NHS treatment is more or less free at the point of delivery (ie it is not free, it has to be paid for through tax and national insurance).

by Anonymousreply 162September 16, 2019 12:13 AM

R162 The NHS treatment is free for all those millions on welfare (as well as all those tourists and anchor babies)

by Anonymousreply 163September 16, 2019 12:16 AM

You may be right about the millions on welfare R163, the notion of anchor baby not yet having taken hold of the UK, but for Gareth on £285K he is paying for his NHS treatment through his taxes and national insurance. The cost of the treatment may or may not be highter than his tax/NI contribution but, on the other hand, it may be cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 164September 16, 2019 12:23 AM

R161 How do you take your pension at 35. The minimum age is 55. The article is crap. It also says that our boy earned (past tense) £285K it does not say how much he earns (present, then or now). The article is designed to get him another gig and probably failed so now we have his weepy HIV shit which will earn him £m, thanks to Wm and Jez.

by Anonymousreply 165September 16, 2019 12:58 AM

He looks like he wears a cock ring 24/7

by Anonymousreply 166September 16, 2019 1:00 AM

He will be the shill for cockrings if this HIV gig fails (as surely it must).

by Anonymousreply 167September 16, 2019 1:06 AM

R164 The UK Office for National Statistics said back in 2017 that 50.5% of Britons were dependent on the state to live.

Blair made it worse and Corbyn will make it even more so.

by Anonymousreply 168September 16, 2019 1:09 AM

[quote] I weep for the once-great Britain

You and Anne Marie Waters together, dear Morrissey.

by Anonymousreply 169September 16, 2019 1:13 AM

But don't a minority of US citizens support the majority [of US citzens] AND there's no uni-healthcare? There are social security 'dynasties' in the US who have never, evah worked and live off the great capitalist dynasties (Rockefeller, Carnegie, Mellon etc), and have done for generations.

by Anonymousreply 170September 16, 2019 1:20 AM

This just makes me think he’s stupid. No reason to be contracting HIV in this day and age. Total lack of respect for himself. He’s not a role model to me.

by Anonymousreply 171September 16, 2019 1:22 AM

R171 His flagging career and income requires a boost. This is what we have by way of boost. We are all being used and hated as a result.

by Anonymousreply 172September 16, 2019 1:37 AM

R172 I thought the same thing. Ever since his rugby career ended, he has made a career out of being gay.

by Anonymousreply 173September 16, 2019 1:42 AM

R173 Being gay takes no talent. His USP, as far as he is concerned, is that he is a gay athlete. I am underwhelmed which is probably not the right response but I think William and Jezza are idots to be taken in on all this.

by Anonymousreply 174September 16, 2019 2:05 AM

R174, being gay may not take talent but being an athlete does. And coming out takes courage. Most gays in the sports world are closeted

by Anonymousreply 175September 16, 2019 2:08 AM

He's out R175. Didn't make enough money being out. Now he's HIV. Another 10 years making money out of HIV. Then what?

by Anonymousreply 176September 16, 2019 2:35 AM

This Gareth guy reminds me of Lance Armstrong. Both trading of being ill, with lots of discussion about their illnesses and about them (repeat, about them) and lots of interviews and feeeeee$. Cunts both of them.

by Anonymousreply 177September 16, 2019 2:39 AM

^off

by Anonymousreply 178September 16, 2019 2:40 AM

Everything Thomas says is idiotic, he is a fucking stupid miserable asshole, and always has been.

he also should have used a condom, fucking self loathing fuckwit

by Anonymousreply 179September 16, 2019 2:48 AM

Meanwhile there are massive cunts all over several other threads, wishing people get AIDS, or die of AIDS on this forum. Very sad indeed the lack of compassion and heartlessness. It's shameful on a gay forum really.

by Anonymousreply 180September 16, 2019 6:12 AM

R180 They are not gay people posting that, so do not see the relevance

by Anonymousreply 181September 16, 2019 6:18 AM

The media loves to paint the LGBT community as either poz or ready to transition. None of this is Gareth’s fault.

by Anonymousreply 182September 16, 2019 2:30 PM

I guess one person’s ‘challenging stigma’ is another’s rampant narcissism. Gareth Thomas is a drama queen who has fashioned a second career out of victimhood.

by Anonymousreply 183September 16, 2019 2:40 PM

He needs to hook up with Sam Smith . These two can out attention whore each other .

by Anonymousreply 184September 16, 2019 2:44 PM

Sorry, Gareth is gay. He doesn't go for... whatever Sam Smith is.

by Anonymousreply 185September 16, 2019 2:49 PM

Who need homophobic straight assholes when gay assholes are bashing gay people?

Gareth Thomas was a great rugbyman and is a brave man.

He's far superior to all the poor self-hating "gays" bashing him here.

by Anonymousreply 186September 16, 2019 3:08 PM

[quote] for some reason becoming poz makes you a brave hero. I don't get it.

His revealing he's poz is what makes him a hero. Seeing all the hate, even on a gay site like DL, proves how difficult it is to reveal one's HIV+ status

by Anonymousreply 187September 16, 2019 3:59 PM

[quote] The NHS treatment is free for all those millions on welfare (as well as all those tourists and anchor babies)

So people who aren't rich enough to pay for it shouldn't get healthcare? We should just let them die?

by Anonymousreply 188September 16, 2019 4:01 PM

[quote] His flagging career and income requires a boost.

and so he went out and got HIV?

by Anonymousreply 189September 16, 2019 4:02 PM

R187 - he's revealing it because he said others were going to release it to the press.

Acquiring HIV is like teen pregnancy - it happens, but it's not something courageous or brave. It's a big mistake - but one that most people somehow avoid.

by Anonymousreply 190September 16, 2019 4:27 PM

They did the same thing to Arthur Ashe...some loser reporter at USA Today called him and said that he had heard Ashe was HIV positive and was going to put him on blast. But Arthur beat him to the punch and told the media himself.

by Anonymousreply 191September 16, 2019 4:30 PM

HIV Medication is free under the NHS in England because it comes Sexual Health umbrella of free drugs. In England people still have to pay a prescription charge for other drugs (unless exempt). Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have abolished prescription charges so all medications are free.

Not a bit confusing to all be happening in what is meant to be one country eh?

by Anonymousreply 192September 16, 2019 4:50 PM

Because nowadays catching HIV pretty much says I’m a chemsex loving bareback pig whore. That’s where the stigma comes from. It’s not that you have it, it’s how you caught it.

by Anonymousreply 193September 16, 2019 6:41 PM

Actually, if you're on PrEP, you can have all the chem sex you want and not get HIV

by Anonymousreply 194September 16, 2019 7:07 PM

He is HIV+ since years.

by Anonymousreply 195September 16, 2019 7:08 PM

I’m American so I really have no clue who this guy is .. was his coming out in 2009 a big deal?

by Anonymousreply 196September 16, 2019 7:13 PM

He was the first pro rugbyman to come out in the UK.

It was a big deal.

by Anonymousreply 197September 16, 2019 7:20 PM

R196 It was tiresome, very self obsessed and miserable.

Zero joy

by Anonymousreply 198September 16, 2019 7:21 PM

R198 Because you're a real sunshine.

by Anonymousreply 199September 16, 2019 7:24 PM

Not 9 years ago in the uk R194 plus it still doesn’t protect you from all the other std’s out their. But if your a whore catching something that can be treated with antibiotics doesn’t really mean anything.

by Anonymousreply 200September 16, 2019 7:35 PM

Awful thing is that the drug (Truvada) now used for PrEP was given approval in 2004/5. I wonder how many HIV infections could have been avoided if it had been used for prevention since then instead of 2012?

by Anonymousreply 201September 16, 2019 8:18 PM

R201 Imagine if we just used condoms....

by Anonymousreply 202September 16, 2019 8:37 PM

He might have caught it from all those hideous tattoos he has all over his body.

by Anonymousreply 203September 16, 2019 8:51 PM

Well condoms with strangers, I see barebacking as showing you have trust in your partner, that you trust they are taking care of their bodies and trust they are not cheating on you. It can be the ultimate act of intimacy, having your partner leave a piece of himself inside of you can be sorta beautiful. But and this is a big fat but, only in a loving relationship where trust has been earned i.e we’ve been to clinic and everything is ok.

by Anonymousreply 204September 16, 2019 8:55 PM

R204 There's lots of emotion in your post. But I'd prefer to have medical certainty.

by Anonymousreply 205September 16, 2019 9:22 PM

Can we show him a little compassion. Don't we get enough hate from the rest of the world.

by Anonymousreply 206September 16, 2019 9:31 PM

Compassion is OK for Catholics and Virtue-signallers but it doesn't pay the bills or cure AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 207September 16, 2019 9:44 PM

Compassion doesn't cure stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 208September 16, 2019 9:49 PM

[quote] Acquiring HIV is like teen pregnancy - it happens, but it's not something courageous or brave. It's a big mistake - but one that most people somehow avoid.

You have no idea of the experience of countless gay men before you who got sick and were shunned by society. Nor do you have any idea of the many gay men, lesbians, and straight allies who stepped in to help them...never judging them for getting sick.

Your comments demonstrate how important it is for Gareth Thomas to reveal that he is positive. HIV positive men and women still face shame because of men like you.

Gareth Thomas can expect to live a normal life span, if he fastidiously follows his treatment regimen. He wishes to counter judgmental pricks like Mike Pence and even those in his own community, who sneer with disdain on men like him.

by Anonymousreply 209September 16, 2019 10:02 PM

R209 In the 80s before we knew how to be safe, sure I agree.

But now, fuck that enabling bullshit, moron Thomas should have used a condom

by Anonymousreply 210September 16, 2019 10:06 PM

He’s the Andrew Sullivan of the sports world.

‘I’m going public with my HIV status, but also - look, straights! - I’m also sharing for the first time that I’m married to another man. I’m respectable, just like you, and not like those other queers.’

by Anonymousreply 211September 16, 2019 11:25 PM

I am HUGELY disappointed he is not a top. What a fucking waste for a gay man who looks like that to be a bottom.

by Anonymousreply 212September 16, 2019 11:28 PM

Not for me. Love beefy muscular bottoms.

by Anonymousreply 213September 16, 2019 11:32 PM

I agree with people saying Gareth is doing this for publicity.. If there are people blackmailing him then they are scum and I hope they go to prison, as it is ,he is not mentioning police reports.

He is a younger generation to me, so I don't get him being married to a woman and for that I think he is a shit.

He came out at the end of his career. The RFL were desperate to promote league in Wales at that particular time and went through all kinds of shenanigans,he changed codes after he came out and he was crap. League fans have a community though, so he worked that.

I don't give a flying fart about him. Acceptance for people living with HIV is neccessary, but also prevention of infection and at no point do I see him addressing that.

by Anonymousreply 214September 17, 2019 12:56 AM

My only hero gay sportsman is justin Fashanu. God why have things not changed in all these years.

by Anonymousreply 215September 17, 2019 1:01 AM

R207 You sound like such a warm lovely bloke. Compassion isn't Just for Catholics, and I won't repeat your SJW right-wing talking points. I have plenty of compassion for him, as my fellow man, as a fellow homosexual, and as a victim of gay bashing and blackmail. I feel further compassion for him in light of all the gay men here who cannot support him from a standpoint of solidarity. We all make mistakes, have accidents, and we are all flawed in some respect. After witnessing his video, listening to his words, and seeing him cry just made me want to hug it out with him. I cannot conceive of any other reaction, as it was truly heart rending. I happen to be a Jew, and we believe in compassion too.

by Anonymousreply 216September 17, 2019 1:25 AM

Yes we all do make mistakes. But in his case he could use the mistakes he’s made to educate people on the behaviours behind what caused those mistakes in the first place. Look at the documentary chemsex as example of educating young men on not only the physical effects of catching HIV but the psychological trauma associated with it. He could have used this as a platform to educate younger men (who may or may not look up to him) to learn from the mistakes He’s made. Because if we can’t learn from these incidents both (personally and as a society) then we’re bound to make the same mistakes again. Additionally if he’s going to tell his story tell it properly don’t try and spin it as a poor me, take some responsibility for your actions and own it as apart who you are and how it’s effected you and eventually, possibly you might grow from reflecting on why you acted irresponsibly in the first place. And yes one could argue that by telling the whole truth he perpetuates the stereotype that all gay men are sluts, but by not telling the whole story he’s open the door to the countless stories that could be sold about him and his sexual antics which I would argue perpetuates that myth more.

by Anonymousreply 217September 17, 2019 2:48 AM

We've had the AIDS Virus with us for over one third of a century.

And we've had very expensive AIDS Preventative Education with us for over one third of a century.

Just how can so many people be so deaf, blind and stupid?

by Anonymousreply 218September 17, 2019 2:55 AM

People capriciously catching the AIDS virus now is an insult to all those unfortunate men who suffered and died in a state of not knowing what we know now.

An eldergay told us that they didn't know how it was transmitted back in the 1980s. He said they discussed whether it was transmitted like flesh-eating bacteria and whether or not they'd be willing to sacrifice their penis to stop the contagion reaching other parts of their body.

Years ago they classified how various contagious diseases are transmitted, by air, water, blood, human touch and insect bites.

by Anonymousreply 219September 17, 2019 3:06 AM

I guess a lot of people have the mentality that it can’t/won’t happen to me. But risky behaviour increases the risk and thats what needs to be drilled home, but in an hyper-sexualised world people are getting very conflicting messages. And I would say especially for gay men where your seen as somehow wrong if your not promiscuous and yet at the same time been told you should be getting married living a semi heteronormative lifestyle. Plus the history aspect a lot of men who were closeted in the eighties or born in the eighties won’t of had much contact with victims of HIV or know people who died of Aids. I myself as a 32 year old had to educate myself on the risks of bareback sex.

by Anonymousreply 220September 17, 2019 3:10 AM

[quote] Gareth Thomas can expect to live a normal life span, if he fastidiously follows his treatment regimen.

The chances of this are about 40%.

Fact.

by Anonymousreply 221September 17, 2019 12:21 PM

It’s amazing how many people in my social circle have died from AIDS complications...men, women, black, white, straight, gay or bisexual. I have outlived many friends and acquaintances. I’ve been lucky. I have taken a few risks and used bad judgment when liquor was involved, but for the most part I have practiced safe sex. I knew a guy, a bartender, who tested positive after his very first sexual encounter at nineteen years old. He was trying to join the military and his bloodwork came back. He was devastated. It sent him on a downward spiral. He got a job bar tending and had a few years of stability, including a nice boyfriend. But when his boyfriend left him after he got fired for stealing and racially insulting customers, he went on a downward spiral of drugs, booze and promiscuity. He OD in a cheap hotel room in Amsterdam at the age of thirty two.

by Anonymousreply 222September 17, 2019 4:38 PM

He's wrong. Taking a pill a day doesn't make him like any other person. It's magical thinking and he is likely to get very ill with an infection with this attitude.

by Anonymousreply 223September 17, 2019 4:47 PM

I read an article withing the past 3 years about a well know gay porn actor who was HIV+ and his body stopped responding to the HIV suppressing meds and he died of AIDS. I didn't know this could occur. I'd never heard that before.

Also, I think it in one of these threads someone had once stated that you can get double HIV, or two strains. You can already have HIV and contract a second strain. Is this true?

by Anonymousreply 224September 17, 2019 4:56 PM

r224, here. Nevermind, Dr. Google just answered my question.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225September 17, 2019 4:59 PM

I am going to need a sex tape.

by Anonymousreply 226September 17, 2019 5:20 PM

R217 Did you honestly watch the video, or hear him interviewed? He speaks of being in a very desperate place, not being honest and hiding under the threats of blackmail. Though not the world's best speaker, he eloquently and emotionallly sums up an existential crisis many can relate to: wishing one could return to a place of innocence, or existence without constant fear, apprehension, and one filled with honesty. In no words does he blame others for catching a virus. I think many thinking and feeling people can relate to the shame of many different sorts of secrets. (alcoholism, drugs, mental illness, being closeted, other health conditions, etc ) I fear many ugly posters hear (as in many threads) did not read original content (primary sources) or follow the links people have kindly provided here. They simply spew out rubbish at break neck speed.

It does certainly discourage disclosure and honesty amidst all the stigma evidenced here.

by Anonymousreply 227September 17, 2019 6:02 PM

Again the stigma is associated with how you catched it, not actually having it and this is coming from someone who’s dated poz guys.

by Anonymousreply 228September 17, 2019 6:42 PM

Catched it?

Oh, dear.

CAUGHT IT

by Anonymousreply 229September 17, 2019 7:06 PM

R229 has never been to Wales.

by Anonymousreply 230September 17, 2019 7:16 PM

God you can tell this site is filled with old queens. Who gives a shit about punctuation or grammar, you got what I meant so shut the fuck up! If you haven’t got anything relevant to say then don’t fucking say it or in this case type it.

by Anonymousreply 231September 17, 2019 8:12 PM

"Who gives a shit", R231?

Barack Obama "gave a shit" about punctuation and grammar.

by Anonymousreply 232September 18, 2019 1:12 AM

And R232?

by Anonymousreply 233September 18, 2019 10:16 AM

It’s a fucking online forum, get a fucking grip, it’s not we’re writing essays or articles for academic journals. It’s just a fucking online forum. Go troll on Twitter if spelling is all you care about. You know what I’m starting to think all these spelling trolls ain’t old queens but Russian trolls.

by Anonymousreply 234September 18, 2019 10:22 AM

How does Obama feel about Gareth and his HIV?

by Anonymousreply 235September 18, 2019 10:40 AM

Obama Cares!

He is Mister Compassion!

by Anonymousreply 236September 18, 2019 11:21 AM

[quote]so gay men should still take every precaution they can if there going to have sex with multiple partners”

[quote]if your on prep it still doesn’t protect you from all the other nasties out their.

[quote]Not 9 years ago in the uk R194 plus it still doesn’t protect you from all the other std’s out their. But if your a whore catching something that can be treated with antibiotics doesn’t really mean anything.

I beg of you, please learn the difference between your and you’re and their, there and they’re. Please!

by Anonymousreply 237September 18, 2019 12:38 PM

[quote]Is InstaHo his new job? Great. This is exactly why they hate us.

Yeah, because there isn’t one straight instaho.

by Anonymousreply 238September 18, 2019 12:48 PM

[quote]The media loves to paint the LGBT community as either poz or ready to transition. None of this is Gareth’s fault.

Huh? If someone is waiting for me to fail so they can pounce, and I fail, it’s their fault?

It’s nobodies “fault” BUT Gareth’s.

by Anonymousreply 239September 18, 2019 12:49 PM

I just blocked the last two posters and turns out all they do is pick out peoples spelling mistakes. Trolls!

by Anonymousreply 240September 18, 2019 12:54 PM

He always looks so damn miserable all the time.

by Anonymousreply 241September 18, 2019 1:00 PM

So would you if you grew up in Wales R241

by Anonymousreply 242September 18, 2019 1:28 PM

So basically he is saying he got a disease that is 100% preventable.

by Anonymousreply 243September 18, 2019 1:35 PM

Not really, R243. One must take raw loads now and then, in order to feel ALIVE!

by Anonymousreply 244September 18, 2019 2:01 PM

It's funny that so many guys on here are assuming that Gareth is a bottom. The likelihood is that he contracted HIV through taking raw dick but first of all if you bottom that doesn't make you a bottom, he could be vers, he could be 100% top these days but just bottomed as a one off - who knows?

Americans seem way more binary in their sexual role than other nationalities for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 245September 18, 2019 2:24 PM

[quote]It's funny that so many guys on here are assuming that Gareth is a bottom.

We’re not assuming anything. He himself on his Grindr profile indicated he was a bottom looking for anon cock. Then sent someone pics of his hole.

I don’t know many tops that do that.

by Anonymousreply 246September 18, 2019 5:13 PM

I’ve had friends attend his all-day Grindr fuck parties.

GT is a big ol’ bottom.

by Anonymousreply 247September 18, 2019 7:43 PM

R16 Holy Fuck and R18 more Holy Fuck. He is smok’n hot. I bet he had ‘em lined up around the block waiting to get in there. Shit, I’d tap that in a heartbeat.

by Anonymousreply 248September 18, 2019 7:50 PM

Was he positive while playing rugby or did he only seroconvert after retiring?

At some point one of the tabs (my money’s on the Fail) will try and connect the dots for a “Gareth was HIV positive while playing a body contact sport and didn’t reveal his status to other players” story accompanied by pics of Gareth covered in blood following a head clash on the rugby pitch.

by Anonymousreply 249September 18, 2019 8:21 PM

R249 well it wouldn't have mattered if he was undetectable though to athletes or leagues they might be outraged.

by Anonymousreply 250September 18, 2019 8:45 PM

I don't think he's hot at all, which is odd as in theory he ticks most of my boxes. He doesn't really have the physique of a stereotypical rugby player, he doesn't look beefy enough.

I usually like tattoos too, but his are hideous and tasteless.

Still I'm sure he thinks really highly of me.

by Anonymousreply 251September 19, 2019 7:30 AM

R245.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252September 19, 2019 10:10 AM

R250 It would matter if he was playing before it was possible to be +u (or whatever the term is) - his senior career started over twenty years ago. Well before the days of prep and +u.

Rugby is pretty brutal - blood spills especially from head clashes are common. If I had played in the same comp as Thomas and it is revealed that he was positive at the time, without revealing it then, I’d be fucking furious at being exposed.

by Anonymousreply 253September 19, 2019 10:32 AM

Has the law changed? I thought anything that has to do with blood (such as going to the dentist) means you have to be honest about your status.

by Anonymousreply 254September 19, 2019 6:41 PM

R108, that sounds like a real picnic (sarcasm). I get why people in the 80s and 90s got HIV/AIDS so easily, it was a new disease and we didn't know as much about it. But it seems like since the early 00s, less and less people care to use condoms and if they use PREP, they don't use it as much as they should. If someone gets HIV/AIDS because they were raped or their partner(s) were dishonest about their status, I have a ton of sympathy. But if they have lots of unprotected sex, I don't really have any sympathy at all. Why do young gay men seem to have no fear of anything (aside from not getting laid or getting ostracized by their gay cliques)?

by Anonymousreply 255September 19, 2019 7:08 PM

R254 In the UK there isn't any law that says that he would be compelled to inform a Dentist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256September 20, 2019 1:02 PM

Ok R256, good to know.

by Anonymousreply 257September 20, 2019 4:39 PM

R255, why are you attacking "young" gay men even though this guy is not young? It's not like there aren't plenty of eldergays who are HIV positive

by Anonymousreply 258September 20, 2019 4:52 PM

Can a top contract it through anal sex as the active one?

by Anonymousreply 259October 7, 2019 3:10 PM

If only bottoms are able to contract HIV, then the guys who we think are tops aren’t always tops, are they?

Yes I know, someone else has posted a similar opinion above but who am I if not the Queen of the Peanut Gallery?

by Anonymousreply 260October 9, 2019 3:50 PM

Well the bottoms had to get it from someone....which means some tops must have HIV

by Anonymousreply 261October 9, 2019 4:15 PM

Prince Harry praises Gareth Thomas for HIV stigma battle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262November 16, 2019 3:22 PM

[quote]r4 I know that having HIV is no longer a terminal diagnosis, but I wish to hell that it had been eradicated by now.

Funny how condoms and clean needles could do that. So expensive, though.

by Anonymousreply 263November 16, 2019 3:57 PM

That was cool of Prince Harry

by Anonymousreply 264November 16, 2019 4:07 PM

R264 Meghan made him do it.

by Anonymousreply 265November 16, 2019 4:11 PM

This is what happens when you whore around without using condoms.

by Anonymousreply 266November 16, 2019 4:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!