Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

America is now designing schools in anticipation of mass shootings

Hey America apparently this is the price you must pay for "liberty" and "freedom" and resisting "tyranny".

A sick, twisted society whose priorities are always towards the most powerful and never towards the most vulnerable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 15, 2019 6:53 PM

What should they do? Nothing because the Republicans and the gun lobby have their hands around the country's throats and the government's balls?

It's better than nothing, though not much.

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2019 12:06 PM

My nephews go to a suburban school which has shooter drills and it doing all sorts of construction to thicken the walls and add extra layers of security.

These kids will grow up with PTSD

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2019 12:08 PM

From the article:

Last week in Jefferson County, Colorado, home of Columbine, public school teacher Cassie Lopez received buckets, kitty litter, and a Sharpie to start the year. The buckets and the kitty litter can comprise a makeshift toilet during a prolonged lockdown. The Sharpie is there so Lopez can write the time she applied a tourniquet to a bleeding student.

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2019 12:09 PM

[Quote] A sick, twisted society whose priorities are always towards the most powerful and never towards the most vulnerable.

And to award construction contracts.

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2019 12:16 PM

Buckets and kitty litter? I would run into the gunfire before that happened.

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2019 12:24 PM

Of course, America could just ban the private ownership of guns.

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2019 12:29 PM

My old school had a place for hanging swords near the entrance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2019 1:45 PM

The solution is simple: Hang a copy of The Ten Commandments right by the entrance. The shooter will see them, read them , repent for his thoughts, and leave. School shootings are a direct result of liberals removing God from the schools, and now, He is punishing us.

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2019 2:11 PM

That's a care home R7. Why were you at school in a care home?

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2019 3:10 PM

Americans are an angry, violent people.

by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2019 3:13 PM

R9 It became an elderly care home surrounded by very expensive housing many years after I left.

When I went it had plaster falling off the walls and we had buckets in the classrooms because the roof leaked so badly, in winter you had to keep your coat on during classes.

They converted it instead of demolishing it because it's a Grade II listed building.

by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2019 3:19 PM

No, Americans are not an angry violent people. As with any other country it's a country made up of individuals. There is a faction of the population that could not give a rat's ass about how many children die because shooting big, explody guns is just so much fun and makes them feel like a man. That faction can suck my dick. That faction supports the NRA, and finds the worst countries on earth to compare the US to (ignoring the more peaceful ones) and says shit like 'well if Venezuela had been more armed they wouldn't have had all their problems.'

The middle of the mill people, and pacifists keep hoping to talk and debate some sense into them, because that's all we can do. They have the guns. If they don't want to give them up? How many more Ruby Ridge and Branch Davidian stand offs are we going to have? How many more Timothy McVeighs will that set off?

So most people kind of just meander along, hoping everyone will do the right thing and come to their senses.

But yeah, American films are by and large most violent. The Avengers? How much destruction is in that movie? It's so old and becoming meaningless. Boom! We're the heroes. Just over it. I'm over it. But don't lump me in with the rest of you "Americans do this..." you don't even know me. You don't even know the garden peaceful utopia dream I have for this world. We're just people just like everyone else in the world.

by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2019 3:24 PM

Oh and now we're going to start hearing this shit about Iran too. But they are just like everyone else too. Take swimming lessons in the pool, play violin, smile, have fun. Just like everyone else!

There is not reason to go to war and blame AN ENTIRE GROUP OF PEOPLE for something. There's never any reason to start that. Now fill those war planes with LSD, SHROOMS, ECSTASY, PEYOTE, AYAHUASCA and psychedelics, drop them all over the world and let consciousness expand.

Remember you are God, all alone, everyone else is you, the One living simultaneously in other bodies. You never have to apologize for being human, you return to the One when you die, your true self, and its peace and love. The real hell is what we are in, being here and we are trying to raise it to a level of love we feel with ourselves. Other species in the galaxy know they are part of the One, will we evolve to that too?

Eat the plants. Do not bomb fellow human (yourself). It's killing itself and it doesn't know why.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 14, 2019 3:30 PM

The answer is right there in the Constitution, Second Amendment.

"When each word in the text is given full effect, the Amendment is most naturally read to secure to the people a right to use and possess arms in conjunction with service in a well-regulated militia." That was Stevens J dissenting in District of Columbia v. Heller (2008).

We need more judges like Stevens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 14, 2019 3:32 PM

Of course they are. If they didn’t, the victims’ families would sue their ass. This is America.

by Anonymousreply 15September 14, 2019 3:47 PM

Honestly who gives a fuck about the Constitution anymore?

It was written by a bunch of people...WHO OWNED OTHER PEOPLE!

At least Joe Pesci knows the beauty of the Constitution.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 14, 2019 3:50 PM

[quote] It was written by a bunch of people...WHO OWNED OTHER PEOPLE!

Some owned slaves, others did not. For instance, John Adams did not.

by Anonymousreply 17September 14, 2019 3:55 PM

This is a third rate country.

by Anonymousreply 18September 14, 2019 4:08 PM

My son’s private school is now implementing this training:

https://www.alicetraining.com/our-program/alice-training/

by Anonymousreply 19September 14, 2019 4:21 PM

I'd rather be here than India. Just saying.

by Anonymousreply 20September 14, 2019 4:53 PM

These are acts of terrorism. They happen everywhere. If the perps don't use guns they hire a truck and kill 86, injuring 458 others like in the 2016 Nice truck attack which took less than five minutes: that's killing and injuring 109 people every single minute; it's insane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 14, 2019 8:03 PM

Well that's disturbing, America is a strange place it seems. I enjoyed traveling around it but I'd never live in a country like this (and by 'like this' I include the ridiculous attitude to healthcare).

by Anonymousreply 22September 14, 2019 8:16 PM

People would rather build safer schools than the mental hospitals that are sorely needed. At some point, we have to get past the aversion of removing troubled people from the general population and putting them somewhere where they can’t hurt others. The Parkland shooter should have been institutionalized, period.

by Anonymousreply 23September 14, 2019 8:32 PM

Mental healthcare isn't any better here in the UK for all of the bragging about the NHS.

It has been underfunded for the past 40 years and 10 years of the Tories have made it even worse.

by Anonymousreply 24September 14, 2019 8:37 PM

I know R24, mental health provision is shit. I'd still rather have the NHS than not have the NHS though.

by Anonymousreply 25September 14, 2019 8:39 PM

Also the 2004 Madrid train bombing which killed 193 people and injured around 2,000. Some claimed the Basque ETA terror group to be responsible. In any event, no guns were involved. The total of Nice and Madrid: 2,737 killed and wounded in two incidents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 14, 2019 9:07 PM

American mass shootings have happened at a rate of more than one a day in 2019. No other country that isn't a war zone has that.

by Anonymousreply 27September 14, 2019 9:19 PM

What if the shooter set off the Fire alarms before beginning his killing spree?

How safe would these 'Fortress' schools be?

by Anonymousreply 28September 14, 2019 9:20 PM

Just install a series of little drains in every room so that blood cleanup is easier and things can get back to normal until next week's shooting.

by Anonymousreply 29September 14, 2019 9:28 PM

[quote] American mass shootings have happened at a rate of more than one a day in 2019.

Where did you get that from R27? We are on the 257th day of the year but I haven't heard of 257 mass shootings this year.

by Anonymousreply 30September 14, 2019 9:44 PM

[quote]There is a faction of the population that could not give a rat's ass about how many children die because shooting big, explody guns is just so much fun and makes them feel like a man.

Yeah unfortunately many of them are in the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 31September 15, 2019 12:48 PM

Is there an accepted definition of mass shooting? I doubt it. The NYT reported '53 People Died in Mass Shootings in August Alone in the U.S.' but it defines a mass shooting as one where there are no less than three fatalities. I call that multiple shootings but not mass however I guess the idea is if three people died, many more were fired upon.

by Anonymousreply 32September 15, 2019 12:51 PM

It reminds me of how they started adding metal detectors in schools about 20 years ago and Repugs said it was evidence of how the "urban youth" were a lost cause, and they meant black kids of course, and they would blame liberals for the situation. but the real problem was the overwhelming number of guns in the country and how easy it was for kids to get at them. That's a Republican problem.

by Anonymousreply 33September 15, 2019 12:54 PM

[quote]These are acts of terrorism. They happen everywhere. If the perps don't use guns they hire a truck

But why does that mean we shouldn't try to reduce gun violence? I don't understand why you would say that we should let gun violence continue to kill thousands because other kinds of violence exists.

by Anonymousreply 34September 15, 2019 12:55 PM

Try the Mass Shootings tracker, R30.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 15, 2019 1:32 PM

According to MST, June, July and August seem to be especially dangerous months.

by Anonymousreply 36September 15, 2019 6:05 PM

It's like putting a bandaid on broken arm because it's bleeding from bone poking through the skin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 15, 2019 6:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!