Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Coloring books for adults

What's the point?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2019 2:35 PM

My brother is in a nursing home, he also has cognitive decline. I color a little then hand the book off to him. He colors for a while then he goes off on a creative tangent for an hour or so then pushes the book back to me. I'm very grateful for adult coloring books.

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2019 6:52 AM

Really useful for people with mental health conditions. It's very calming to sit and colour in the pictures. Or at least it is for some people. I get frustrated and want to draw the pictures myself. But loads of people find they work.

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2019 6:59 AM

What's the harm?

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2019 7:03 AM

It can be quite relaxing. I'm not very artistic and absolutely can't draw for shit so sometimes if I'm listening to a podcast or something I'll color instead of like, staring at my phone.

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2019 7:13 AM

Because everyone is now on the autism spectrum, that they have to do something retarded to qualify for welfare.

[quote]'m not very artistic and absolutely can't draw for shit so sometimes if I'm listening to a podcast or something I'll color instead of like, staring at my phone.

Heaven forbid you should spend the last few years you have left doing something productive and good for yourself and society.

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2019 7:29 AM

R5 I know :(((

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2019 7:32 AM

Not that long ago, they used coloring book therapy in a Hollyoaks storyline when they had two very unlikely characters (Trevor and Sienna), who were each suffering from a different psych issue, begin to bond over it and fall in love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2019 7:37 AM

Colouring along with things like knitting and crochet have a hypnotic, calming affect. Something to do with the repetitive movements. Not sure why it is an issue. It is a completely harmless activity. Not one I have tried but wouldn’t rule it out if I am stressed at some point.

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2019 7:43 AM

Being a cunt on Datalounge like R5 is obviously a better use of his time.

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2019 7:50 AM

Juvenalia is so cherished now!

I imagine "Highlights for Adults" magazine will soon be available in dentist's offices!

by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2019 7:52 AM

Ha! I have the one in the OP! I have all my life enjoyed coloring books. No, it isn't true artistry, but so what? The activity is inexpensive and fun, and the results are often beautiful.

Might as well question any hobby that isn't for profit, OP.

by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2019 7:54 AM

R5, Some people (not you, apparently) can do more than one thing in life.

R10, "Juvenalia" such as insults?

by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2019 7:56 AM

Still has a good point, R12.

by Anonymousreply 13September 14, 2019 7:59 AM

I imagine you think we should all live up to your expectations.

I'm guessing because you've disappointed a lot of people but you have to believe they disappointed you instead.

by Anonymousreply 14September 14, 2019 9:32 AM

Let's bring back finger painting!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 14, 2019 3:16 PM

I wouldn't mind having this Buffy colouring book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 14, 2019 4:00 PM

But like.. why not just do something like meditation or yoga or chi gong to destress? Why must you buy things and regress to your youth to do so? And what will you do with the colored drawings afterwards?

by Anonymousreply 17September 14, 2019 5:06 PM

There's a fun youtube channel where an artist colors and makes adjustments to the picture.

It's a fun bit of fluff to see how someone who can actually draw would do it.

by Anonymousreply 18September 14, 2019 5:12 PM

r17, Are you for real? "Why don't you...

~~read a history book instead of reading DL?"

~~visit a museum instead of reading DL?"

~~mind your own bees-wax instead of nit-picking what others do for relaxation?"

by Anonymousreply 19September 14, 2019 6:53 PM

[Quote] But like.. why not just do something like meditation or yoga or chi gong to destress?

Why does it have to be one or the other?? Why can't you do colouring in and yoga??

by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2019 1:02 AM

R19 you sound very triggered. Are you okay?

by Anonymousreply 21September 15, 2019 1:12 AM

R21, Turning....

What I SHOULD have replied to r17 was....

What you say may be true. Time will undoubtedly tell. In the meantime you left out one detail. The coloring books are paid for. The pencils and gel pens are paid for. And the watercolor markers are paid for.

by Anonymousreply 22September 15, 2019 10:16 AM

I got a few as a gift and it's a bit of fun. Nothing wrong with childhood pursuits. I don't pull them out much, but occasionally if I'm not in the mood for tv or computer, I'll pull my book and pens out and drink some tea.

by Anonymousreply 23September 15, 2019 12:53 PM

What do people use to color with--still crayons, or colored pencils or ???

by Anonymousreply 24September 15, 2019 7:07 PM

“If it gets her through the day, so what?”

When told that Carroll Baker clung to her stuffed animal in her dressing room, that was Elizabeth Taylor’s response.

by Anonymousreply 25September 15, 2019 7:16 PM

R24 to have the full immersive "youth" experience, one must use Crayola Crayons. Or, if you are only doing it because your therapist said it might be helpful to calm your rage at your husbear's idiocy rather than drinking, and you don't really care about the full experience, Faber-Castell Polychromo colored pencils will add that certain something to the endeavor.

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2019 3:32 AM

Gel pens.

by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2019 2:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!