Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

James Corden Brilliantly Shames Bill Maher’s Absurd Pro-Fat-Shaming Rant

James Corden last night delivered a pitch-perfect and well-deserved take-down of Bill Maher’s absurd call to bring back fat shaming in this country. “Thanks for that Bill,” Corden said before putting the HBO host in his place. “Fat shaming is just bullying, and bullying only makes the problem worse.”

On last Friday’s Real Time With Bill Maher, the host concluded his New Rules segment with a bring-back-fat-shaming rant. “We’ve gone to this weird place where fat is good,” Maher. “It’s pointing out that fat is unhealthy that’s what is bad. Fat shame? We fit shame.”

Corden responded on last night’s The Late, Late Show With James Corden. “Fat shaming never went anywhere,” he said. “I mean, ask literally any fat person – we are literally reminded of it all the time – on airplanes, on Instagram, when someone leaves a pie on the windowsill to cool and they give us a look like Don’t you dare.”

Corden explained that after watching the Maher segment he thought, “If only there was someone with a platform who knew what it was actually like to be overweight, and then I realized, Aw that would be me.”

Mixing humor with heartfelt outrage, Corden said, “There’s a common and insulting misconception about fat people that we’re lazy and stupid. We’re not. We get it. We know that being overweight isn’t good for us and I’ve struggled my entire life trying to manage my weight and I suck at it. I have had good days and bad months.”

“We’re not all as lucky as Bill Maher,” the CBS late night host said. “We don’t all have a sense of superiority that burns 35,000 calories a day.”

Explaining that being overweight is a complex problem involving lack of education, dearth of healthy food options, poverty and genetics, Corden destroyed Maher’s simplistic take. Pointing to a recent study that identified a particular gene defect, Corden said, “If you shame the gene it actually fixes itself. I’m kidding. That’s not how science works. A lack of shame is not the issue here. If making fun of fat people made them lose weight there would be no fat kids in schools and I’d have a six pack by now.”

At one point, Corden showed a clip of Maher’s segment in which the HBO host said, “It’s not just about being able to see a doctor. It’s also about being able to see your dick.”

To which the CBS host snapped, “Believe me, I can see a dick.”

Check out the Corden video above.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176March 1, 2020 11:06 PM

British piggy squealed what?

by Anonymousreply 1September 13, 2019 3:52 PM

[quote]“Believe me, I can see a dick.”

If Cordon stands in front of a mirror.

Obesity is rampant in the US because those like Corden apologize and foster poor health habits.

by Anonymousreply 2September 13, 2019 3:55 PM

I don’t understand how someone as rich as Corden can be obese. He has access to nutritionists, personal chefs and trainers. He can’t carve out an hour or more a day to have a fitness trainer come TO HIM and get some exercise?

by Anonymousreply 3September 13, 2019 3:55 PM

I don't like Corden but everything he said is true and we'll done.

by Anonymousreply 4September 13, 2019 3:57 PM

[quote]I don’t understand how someone as rich as Corden can be obese

He's apparently at the mercy of a fat gene, since none of his other stated reasons (lack of education, dearth of healthy food options, poverty) apply.

by Anonymousreply 5September 13, 2019 3:58 PM

R3 He obviously doesn't care to live long enough to see his kids graduate high school. Shit father.

by Anonymousreply 6September 13, 2019 3:59 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 13, 2019 4:02 PM

He has a point.

by Anonymousreply 8September 13, 2019 4:02 PM

Or you could simply NOT fat shame. You don't have to "coddle" anyone.

by Anonymousreply 9September 13, 2019 4:03 PM

He should start smoking, I’ve seen plenty of old smokers, but you never see any fattys past 70yo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 13, 2019 4:06 PM

This actually makes him likeable for a minute.

by Anonymousreply 11September 13, 2019 4:07 PM

If fat people put half as much energy into losing weight as they do into arguing against "fat shaming"...

by Anonymousreply 12September 13, 2019 4:07 PM

Citing a fybromyalgic flare up, Corden then huffed off the set and was found in her she-shed cradling a mug of pumpkin spice something-or-other enjoying some much deserved 'me' time.

by Anonymousreply 13September 13, 2019 4:07 PM

Bill Maher is a jerk, but James Corden has never in his life done anything “brilliantly.”

by Anonymousreply 14September 13, 2019 4:08 PM

Agree with R3, but Corden is also right: if fat shaming worked, we wouldn't have so many fat people.

Besides, Maher was just begging for attention again, it's pretty much all he does anymore.

by Anonymousreply 15September 13, 2019 4:08 PM

r3 Gluttony is a mental disorder. You need more than a nutritionist to fix that mess.

by Anonymousreply 16September 13, 2019 4:09 PM

[quote]he doesn’t want to be fat shamed? Well let’s coddle him,

It's not coddling anyone to NOT shame them.

Reminds me of an IG thread I saw recently where a photographer used a very large woman as a model and her size was obviously the point. It wasn't glamorous on any level yet people kept screaming that just taking a photo of a fat woman was "glamorizing obesity." Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 17September 13, 2019 4:10 PM

R9 types fat.

Nope, glorifying being fat is not something I’ll do. I like to smoke cigarettes and even when I slip off far away from people I get dirty looks, they’re both addictions. Next I assume you’ll bring up 2nd hand smoke... a nearly non-existent problem now that smoking has been banned almost everywhere. But fattys have larger carbon footprints and health care costs.

by Anonymousreply 18September 13, 2019 4:10 PM

R18, stop trying to make this thread all about you. Nobody cares about you and your addictions.

by Anonymousreply 19September 13, 2019 4:12 PM

I agree that fat shaming is counterproductive. But then Maher is known for counterproductive rants for attention. Like the one where he used Stan Lee's death as an excuse to go after the nerds not reading real books (or watching real movies).

Maher is really a "get off my lawn" grump in that regard.

by Anonymousreply 20September 13, 2019 4:12 PM

Both of them are cunts, but this statement makes Corden lovably human (until the next time he says some smug, snarky thing...)

by Anonymousreply 21September 13, 2019 4:12 PM

R19 fuck off, fatass. I can post anything I want to here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 13, 2019 4:13 PM

Maher takes great pride in being un-PC. After all, he's the one who invited Milo Y. to his show (and shortly after Milo fell from conservative grace).

by Anonymousreply 23September 13, 2019 4:14 PM

“I run 5 miles a day, do at least an hour of cardio & weights, yoga in the morning, eat a balanced diet and limit my calories to 2,500 a day, but I just can’t lose this dang extra weight! Must be my genetics...”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 13, 2019 4:17 PM

R23 I’m glad he is, a world of fake ass Pollyanna wannabes like Corden would be horrible.

by Anonymousreply 25September 13, 2019 4:18 PM

[quote]I don’t understand how someone as rich as Corden can be obese

Then you're really not terribly bright.

by Anonymousreply 26September 13, 2019 4:20 PM

Enlighten us, r26.

by Anonymousreply 27September 13, 2019 4:24 PM

Jesus who has all the free time to watch all these fucking teevee talk shows?

by Anonymousreply 28September 13, 2019 4:24 PM

[quote]I don’t understand how someone as rich as Corden can be obese. He has access to nutritionists, personal chefs and trainers. He can’t carve out an hour or more a day to have a fitness trainer come TO HIM and get some exercise?

R3 types fat and poor.

by Anonymousreply 29September 13, 2019 4:37 PM

Not “brilliant.”

by Anonymousreply 30September 13, 2019 4:45 PM

Formerly obese people will never be able to eat like someone who was never fat. They must be on a restricted calorie diet (1500 calories/day or less) for the rest of their lives, just to maintain a healthy weight. Dieters ignore this or are unable to internalize this, then predictably (to everyone but themselves) pile the weight back on after losing it.

I'm not a James Corden fan, but I was impressed with his execution of this pratfall (at the 55 second mark) on the 2017 Grammys. They must have had him girdled-up like Scarlett.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 13, 2019 4:46 PM

Since when did comedy show hosts' pontifications require so much analysis?

by Anonymousreply 32September 13, 2019 7:46 PM

[quote]Obesity is rampant in the US because those like Corden apologize and foster poor health habits.

It’s rampant in Britain, too. They’re the fattest European nation.

by Anonymousreply 33September 13, 2019 7:48 PM

R32 since they were being given by tiresome, obese, old British closet kweens

by Anonymousreply 34September 13, 2019 7:48 PM

What about Maher in the first place, r34?

by Anonymousreply 35September 13, 2019 7:53 PM

James Corden needs to come to Pittsburgh where everyone is obese and unhealthy. There are more fat people here on mobility scooters here than in all of NYC...and NYC has about 20x the population of Pittsburgh. No wonder the largest industry here is health care.

by Anonymousreply 36September 13, 2019 7:54 PM

R35 Maher is a comedian who hosts a political commentary show... your point?

by Anonymousreply 37September 13, 2019 7:56 PM

Can you point to a source for that claim, R31? The formerly obese can only eat 1500 calories a day?

Obesity is most commonly defined as. BMI over 30. I think that’s around 200 pounds for someone 5’9”. Fat, yeah, but a 200 pound person can lose 50 and keep it off without having to eat 1500 calories a day.

Maybe there are some special issues with people who have weighed over 300 or 400 pounds, it I’ve never heard that claim before.

by Anonymousreply 38September 13, 2019 8:00 PM

Bill Maher used to be good looking back in the day. When did his nose grow so out of control?

by Anonymousreply 39September 13, 2019 8:05 PM

Attn: James and Bill

You're both tremendous assholes.

by Anonymousreply 40September 13, 2019 8:12 PM

Can we ban James Cunting Corden from this site? His little piggy face has no place here. Thanks. x

by Anonymousreply 41September 13, 2019 8:14 PM

[quote] Sorry, but if you don’t consume over 5,000 calories a day you’ll lose weight.

Complete and utter bullshit.

[quote] Obesity is most commonly defined as. BMI over 30. I think that’s around 200 pounds for someone 5’9”.

No, I'm 5' 11" and according to the current BMI chart I should weigh 185.

[quote] Fat, yeah, but a 200 pound person can lose 50 and keep it off without having to eat 1500 calories a day.

Not only is that made-up nonsense, but it doesn't even make sense. A 200-pound person could be 5' 2" or 6' 2", could have no muscle mass, or be a musclehead. Losing 50 pounds at 200 pounds is different for each person. There is no easy number or easy answer.

by Anonymousreply 42September 13, 2019 8:22 PM

[R35] Maher is a comedian who hosts a political commentary show... your point?

Read r32 over again. Unless you're actually saying that joke of a program is a political commentary show, in which case ....

by Anonymousreply 43September 13, 2019 8:23 PM

Being fat is shameful, and preventable. Have some self respect.

by Anonymousreply 44September 13, 2019 8:25 PM

[quote] Being fat is shameful, and preventable. Have some self respect.

Why? Why should someone's weight matter to anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 45September 13, 2019 8:29 PM

Corden has somewhat redeemed himself here. I've always found fat-shamers to be miserable, soulless, mean-spirited cunts. I don't keep superficial people like that around for long, once they expose themselves. Immediate deal breaker.

by Anonymousreply 46September 13, 2019 8:36 PM

To control your weight, just do what I do: smoke copious amounts of pot, silly.

by Anonymousreply 47September 13, 2019 8:43 PM

please. Maher is a bully...just as bad as the people he criticizes.

by Anonymousreply 48September 13, 2019 9:25 PM

Smoking copious amounts of pot has not lead to dietary discipline in my experience.

by Anonymousreply 49September 13, 2019 9:28 PM

R45 We all have to end up paying for fatties unhealthy choices.

by Anonymousreply 50September 13, 2019 9:44 PM

Maher's point was that being fat is a big reason why so many Americans are sick. I don't see anything wrong with what he said.

by Anonymousreply 51September 13, 2019 9:48 PM

Bill Maher is 100% correct.

by Anonymousreply 52September 13, 2019 10:01 PM

So many of you people are so deeply unkind. Merciless, really.

by Anonymousreply 53September 13, 2019 10:02 PM

[quote]Being fat is shameful, and preventable. Have some self respect.

Oh, because the average DLer pays so much in tax and it's all ALL going to health care for fatties. #retailclerk #cantmakemyrent #hourly

by Anonymousreply 54September 13, 2019 10:03 PM

Whatever the same fatasses probably tear Kate Moss on a CK billboard with KFC bucket in hand.

by Anonymousreply 55September 14, 2019 12:44 AM

OP you type fat.

by Anonymousreply 56September 14, 2019 12:57 AM

Cordon’s response makes me less likely to want to watch him. I can’t handle my comics as victims.

by Anonymousreply 57September 14, 2019 1:03 AM

Bill Maher will probably see him on the lot and tell him to fuck off!

by Anonymousreply 58September 14, 2019 5:28 AM

Both of them are arrogant assholes, so I have no horse in this race.

by Anonymousreply 59September 14, 2019 5:38 AM

I wanna see that smug smirk smacked of Bil Mahers hideous Jewish face.

by Anonymousreply 60September 14, 2019 5:40 AM

James Corden now has the financial means at his disposal to correct this. But he hasn't and why? His fatness is core to his relatability and likability.

James Corden's career would suffer if he became buff. That's just the facts. Fat people seem more jolly, approachable, and less threatening.

Nothing wrong with that - but that's part of his sell.

by Anonymousreply 61September 14, 2019 5:47 AM

r38 of course r31 can't back up what he wrote because it's entirely made up. Listen folks, no "bad genes" or w/e other excuse you're using today can violate the LAW of THERMODYNAMICS. Your body takes in calories in the form of macronutrients, it uses the heat/energy released from those calories to fuel itself, and if you take in more than you expend it stores the excess. The HOW of obesity is not a fucking mystery. The WHY is more complicated, but can pretty much be summed up as "poor eating habits." Once you have poor eating habits, it is difficult to change them, since doing what you've always done is the easiest and certainly more satisfying thing to do.

If you're fat, you eat too much. If a fat person with "bad genes" gains weight on a 400 calorie / day diet then call the Vatican. r31's 1500 calorie per day is such nonsense. You have a base metabolic rate, the general amount of calories you burn every day by doing nothing. Your activity adds onto it. You eat that exact amount and you will sustain your weight. As you age, this rate slows down, and that's why so many thin people in their thirites+ get fat--the still eat like they have the metabolism of a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 62September 14, 2019 5:55 AM

Maher is right. People in this country stuff themselves full of fucking garbage, and that's the reason why health care costs so much.

by Anonymousreply 63September 14, 2019 6:05 AM

I've been fat and I've been fit. Fit is so much better. Fat=invisible. Fit=lots of attention. And you feel better and can fit into nice clothes. It's easier to move in this crazy world.

by Anonymousreply 64September 14, 2019 6:13 AM

Astounding revelation R64!

by Anonymousreply 65September 14, 2019 6:15 AM

Maher has been cutting down easy targets for decades. It what he does. He’s ugly, can only get young, money hungry women to pay attention to him. I don’t like Corden, so for me it’s like an ugly resentful whale, fighting a fat disingenuous whale, who are both extremely unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 66September 14, 2019 6:25 AM

[quote]Bill Maher used to be good looking back in the day. When did his nose grow so out of control?

If he fattened up a bit his huge nose would look smaller.

Maher is aggressively ugly. We need to go back to shaming fuggos. Looking at someone so unattractive is an assault to the senses. How did Maher ever get a TV gig? He has a face for radio, as they say.

by Anonymousreply 67September 14, 2019 6:59 AM

R67 because unlike Corden he’s intelligent and witty.

by Anonymousreply 68September 14, 2019 7:40 AM

Maher is garbage.

by Anonymousreply 69September 14, 2019 8:41 AM

"Maher is right. People in this country stuff themselves full of fucking garbage,"

Maher oughta know about people stuffing themselves full of garbage if they've been watching his shitfest show for years.

by Anonymousreply 70September 14, 2019 11:59 AM

R2 : "Obesity is rampant in the US because those like Corden apologize and foster poor health habits"

Sure, that's it. Entire countries have this problem because fat people aren't mocked out enough 🙄

by Anonymousreply 71September 14, 2019 12:24 PM

R62 If you're fat, you eat too much. If a fat person with "bad genes" gains weight on a 400 calorie / day diet then call the Vatican. You have a base metabolic rate, the general amount of calories you burn every day by doing nothing. Your activity adds onto it. You eat that exact amount and you will sustain your weight.

Yeah, what you say is true r62, but no one is arguing people became fat eating 400 calories a day, just that those with an existing problem have more difficulty losing because it's often more complex than "calories in, calories out."

Getting the genie to come out requires a different method from getting the genie back into the bottle.

by Anonymousreply 72September 14, 2019 12:32 PM

You really don't know anything about metabolism, r72.

"Keeping weight off after a diet is no easy feat, and most people who lose weight eventually gain at least some, if not all of it back. This isn't a matter of lack of willpower or effort, but of biology: To maintain weight loss, you are essentially fighting a system that's wired to re-gain lost pounds."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 14, 2019 12:37 PM

3. Dieting lowers metabolism.

Aria pointed out that some of the weight lost by dieting will be muscle, and that drop in lean mass slows down our metabolism. Our bodies also become more efficient at extracting energy from our food, which slows metabolism — an effect that may be especially pronounced among people who have been obese, as Lucy noted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 14, 2019 12:39 PM

And unfortunately for Bill Maher (but especially his viewers) his nose will continue to enlarge. A majority of elderly people have exaggerated ears/ noses, because cartilage never stops growing, even though everything else does.

At least with fat, you have a good shot at fixing it. Ugly is not so easy to fix. Maher must have had too much cuntiness imprint on to him, while banging that other uggo, Ann Coulter.

by Anonymousreply 75September 14, 2019 12:43 PM

[quote]Maher's point was that being fat is a big reason why so many Americans are sick. I don't see anything wrong with what he said.

It's becoming increasingly evident that it's the other way around: Americans are sick and it's causing them to become fat.

It wasn't that long ago we had a thread on here called "The Fundamental Link Between Body Weight and the Immune System" -- but almost no one posted on it, of course, because our culture is desperate to keep blaming people for their own problems. That's commercialism for you: blame people for their weight, appearance, how they smell, everything about them and sell them a product to fix it all. Soon people are spending huge amounts of time and money to fix themselves and they get resentful if they see someone who "let themselves go," and must shame them to restore order in the world.

Things like inflammation, gut bacteria, occasional gene variants (including the rare but very real monogenic obesity), Adenovirus-36, stress, depression, PTSD, all sorts of medical and psychological things that are difficult if not impossible to control affect weight.

Maher, who simply wants you to keep watching so he retains advertisers on his show and otherwise does not actually care, let alone possess any medical or scientific training whatsoever, is telling you the lowest-common-denominator bullshit that all advertisers tell you. Stop being LAZY. Start doing this thing that I will tell you all about if you buy my book, my magazine, my supplements.

It's so much more complicated (and fascinating) than that, but people don't want complicated. They want some putty-faced concern troll to tell them what they already know so they can anonymously post online "he's totally right, you guys."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76September 14, 2019 12:49 PM

[quote] Maher, who simply wants you to keep watching so he retains advertisers

Oh! So close!

by Anonymousreply 77September 14, 2019 12:52 PM

If you have a completely shit diet, you deserve to be shamed. That doesn't change the fact that Maher is heinous on the outside and more so on the inside for so many reasons. He's a hero to very dumb, neocon liberals who don't actually want to be challenged. He's such a fucking pussy and a coward. Whining about political correctness when he doesn't have the balls to bring on the very people he shits on.

by Anonymousreply 78September 14, 2019 12:54 PM

Yes, fat shaming doesn't help at all, he's right about that. But the rest? Come on... if it were genes all the previous generations would have been fat as well, but they weren't. Where do these fat genes suddenly come from? Did the world spontaneously mutate after the 1950s? And as someone pointed out: all the other factors can make obesity more likely, but they are not the cause, because Corden is rich, has access to the best food, best nutritionist, best personal trainer and he's still fat.

People are brave enough to speak up against fat shaming, but not brave enough to adress the real issue: obesity is a problem with food intake - for some it's severe and a real addiction and should be treated as such, for others it's milder and what we would rather call a lack of discipline. That doesn't mean that a fat person is lazy, bad or lacks discipline in general. Quite the contrary, I know fat people that are incredibly dedicated in their job, very punctual, very orderly, basically the picture of discipline. It's just this one aspect where they have problems. And having a weakness - no matter if it's food or any other aspect people struggle with - is not shameful, but it needs to be adressed, so that people can work on it and get the help they need. They can't work on "bad genes".

by Anonymousreply 79September 14, 2019 1:06 PM

I actually agree with you r73. The point I was trying to make just didn't come across correctly. Looking at it again, I see that my comment was not very clear, which I apologize for.

by Anonymousreply 80September 14, 2019 1:06 PM

[quote]when someone leaves a pie on the windowsill to cool

What year is this again?

by Anonymousreply 81September 14, 2019 1:13 PM

Surely there are ads on the HBO on-demand platform, right? If not, then I retract what I said, though no matter what, Maher needs to get attention to keep his show on the air. If he's not going for ad views, he going for subscribers. He's not talking about fat shaming because of any deep cultural concern.

by Anonymousreply 82September 14, 2019 1:27 PM

Why do people act like food isn't an addiction no different from drugs or alcohol? The only difference is we can't just give up food cold turkey.

by Anonymousreply 83September 14, 2019 1:33 PM

[quote]Where do these fat genes suddenly come from? Did the world spontaneously mutate after the 1950s?

I mean... before asking something like that, wouldn't you just look it up? You're obviously not actually asking, but doing that really irritating thing where you believe your first assumption about a topic must be the correct and right way to look at the subject; you've decided that people have to have mutated since the 1950s, and because they didn't, obesity is all due to a lack of willpower.

Nevermind that there's no reason to explain how people got dumber or were less able to control themselves between the 1950s and today, which is what your theory is all about.

Anyhow, Dr. R79, studies have shown that people who eat the same calories and exercise the same amount today as they did decades ago are larger, significantly, despite the basic calories + exercise = weight formula being equal. Clearly, something has changed.

One reason is that microbiome diversity has changed in recent decades because of antibiotic overuse in both humans and farm animals. There are other theories about artificial sweeteners, pharmaceuticals, chemicals, etc. It's an area of study, obviously, but the idea that this has anything to do with evolution is ridiculous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84September 14, 2019 1:34 PM

Another article, based on UK data: we ate more in 1976, but we were thinner in 1976.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85September 14, 2019 1:35 PM

[quote]Where do these fat genes suddenly come from? Did the world spontaneously mutate after the 1950s?

We have more little girls than ever getting their periods at an earlier age.

by Anonymousreply 86September 14, 2019 1:37 PM

R84 Microbiomes aren't genes though. If it's truly the microbiomes (which is a theory - a good one - but unfortunately we still don't know enough about it), it should also be adressed as such, because the microbiome can be changed or at least positively influenced. The problem with the microbiome theory is the chicken/egg thing: we know that eating crappy food changes the microbiome significantly. Healthy food can also change the microbiome after a certain amount of time. Therefore it's hard to say if fat people are fat because they have an unfortuante microbiome or if they have an unfortunate microbiome because they had unhealthy eating habits in the past. Maybe it's a vicious circle. Like I said, it's very interesting and potentially promising, but we need more research for that.

My point stands though: saying it's "genes" suggests that fat people can do nothing about it, it says it's written in their DNA. And whatever environmental factors happened, it's apparently not written in our DNA.

by Anonymousreply 87September 14, 2019 2:05 PM

Fucking fat people. Get a fecal transplant from a slim person if you suspect it's your gut biome, then. But can't even be bothered to do that, the lazy bastards.

by Anonymousreply 88September 14, 2019 2:15 PM

[quote]Why do people act like food isn't an addiction no different from drugs or alcohol? The only difference is we can't just give up food cold turkey.

Luckily for them, fat people don't need to give up food, they just need to give up GORGING on it non-stop.

by Anonymousreply 89September 14, 2019 2:17 PM

R86 That's true and alarming. It would suggest that there are hormones or xenohormones in our food chain and environment (which is in part proven, e.g. in all that plastic stuff). And you're right, it might have an influence on obesity.

I amend that nowadays obesity in all its forms could be multifactoral, e.g. hormonal changes could make a person hungrier than normal. But it can't be hormones in the environment alone, because then everybody would get fat.

The thing is that people are really fast saying it's hormones or genes or the microbiome or poverty etc. But they are extremely reluctant to say when they just overeat. I have been larger too and no, I wasn't a lazy, stupid person lacking discipline - these stereotypes are trash. However it's absolutely true that at the time I just ate way too much. I used food as a crutch to feel better, whenever I was depressed or bored or both. I was substituting feeling good about me and my life with food. Once I adressed the real issue and improved my mental health, I was also able to lose weight (I'm a very stable weight for many years now and didn't gain it all back).

I'm lucky that nobody back then told me it's my genes. Or the hormones in the environment. Because then I probably wouldn't have bothered working on myself, especially considering I was already in a bad mental place.

by Anonymousreply 90September 14, 2019 2:20 PM

[quote]Microbiomes aren't genes though.

What the fuck? Of course they're not. Nobody said they were.

by Anonymousreply 91September 14, 2019 2:22 PM

How does the microbiome/w/e else change the LAW of CONSERVATION OF MASS? That's what drives me nuts, that these excuses are so quick to wave away the laws of physics. If I (or literally anyone) ate a grain of rice per day for two weeks, I (or anyone!) would lose weight. It would by PHYSICALLY impossible for that not to happen. My body would require more energy than I am taking in, and would use my fat--along with some muscle--to keep me alive. r74 is right that generally dieting will also eat muscle, but he misses two things. 1. There exist diets that allow weight loss without muscle loss (keto, anyone?) and 2. You can go through phases of 'weight/muscle loss' and 'weight/muscle gain' and come out with less fat and more muscle, it's literally the key to bodybuilding and called "cut/bulk" cycles.

[quote]The thing is that people are really fast saying it's hormones or genes or the microbiome or poverty etc. But they are extremely reluctant to say when they just overeat.

r90 THIS is the key to the overwhelming majority of cases of obesity. Do you remember that UK show "secret eaters" where these fat people insisted that they were eating only regular meals and had no idea where the pounds (stones?) were coming from. The show secretly followed them and tabulated everything they ate for a period of time, and EVERY time the person was actually overeating by a lot. The thing is, they honestly didn't know it! People have blinders when it comes to their eating habits, and unless you're someone with good habits or someone who records what they're eating, you are very likely to overeat and be none the wiser.

by Anonymousreply 92September 14, 2019 2:31 PM

Alot of excuses in those thread. I bet the people who wait 30 minutes in the Chick Fil-A drive thru have the exact same ones. Or those who stop at the gas station for a 64 oz slurpee.

Americans shove too many calories into their pie holes.

by Anonymousreply 93September 14, 2019 2:32 PM

The argument that we’re justified in bullying the overweight because we are “paying for fatties” with our healthcare dollars, R50, is the biggest bullshit excuse of all time.

Since taking up “healthy” activities like running, cycling, weight training, etc., to stay in shape, I’ve made dozens more trips to the doctor/orthopedic surgeon/physical therapist than my fat, lazy couch potato brother in law.

And as long as we’re on the subject of where our health care dollars are really being consumed, I would put drug addicts way ahead of fat people. (I used to volunteer at my local hospital emergency room, and we had several “regulars.). Now our city requires all police and first responders to have Narcan with the,a

by Anonymousreply 94September 14, 2019 2:38 PM

R94 here, posted too early dammit.

Police officers in my city have to have Narcan with them at all times. Guess who pays for that...

by Anonymousreply 95September 14, 2019 2:40 PM

R3 This is the thing. I am careful to keep my weight in check, but it takes effort. If had his kind of dough, I would hire a chef to cook me wonderful light flavorful meals. Perfectly grilled salmon with vegetables, things like that.

by Anonymousreply 96September 14, 2019 2:42 PM

There's a lot of shit I don't like paying for: Like wars that never should've occurred. Like subsidies for red state assholes. like bailouts for billionaires on Wall Street

by Anonymousreply 97September 14, 2019 2:43 PM

James Corden's "I can see a sick" is a good line, I must say.

WOW, does this subject trigger DL. These cold-hearted, violent opinions about fat people....chill a little, gurls.

by Anonymousreply 98September 14, 2019 2:45 PM

Most fatties I’ve known eat fast food multiple times a day and rarely prepare meals at home. Replace one meal a day with a salad and cut out soda and your body will start to reject the crap food and crave nutritionally dense food. It’s a good start.

by Anonymousreply 99September 14, 2019 2:46 PM

I’m with Corden on this one.

Maher needs to be concerned about his own fat head.

by Anonymousreply 100September 14, 2019 2:52 PM

Just admit that you eat too much. Why is that so hard? Just own it. You're not fooling anyone. You're not a victim. If don't want people to comment on your weight, stop taking so many calories.

by Anonymousreply 101September 14, 2019 2:56 PM

Agree, R97! I also don’t like my insurance premiums covering fertility treatments just because an over the hill couple chose to “have children of their OWN” instead of adopting a child in in need.

If I can bully fat people for costing me money, can I also bully the couple whose fertility treatments produced premature triplets whose expensive 3-month hospital stay is being at least partially subsidized by those of us who chose not to have children?

by Anonymousreply 102September 14, 2019 2:57 PM

R94 Good that you mention drug addicts, because obviously the US has more of them as well (opioid crisis and all that) than years ago. It's of course just a theory, but I can imagine that there's a connection to the obesity crisis - people in general seem to be a lot unhappier nowadays and suffering from more mental health problems than 50-70 years ago (and the reasons for that warrant their own discussion), so they might try to fill the void with serotonine boosters like food or in the worst case drugs. A lot of obese people are very unhappy and addicted to food like other people are addicted to cigarettes or weed or alcohol, that's why they overeat. Shaming them obviously won't help them at all, but telling them it's just their body shape won't help them either.

by Anonymousreply 103September 14, 2019 3:15 PM

R103, we tell addicts they have a disease. In a way, so do fat people. When someone is morbidly obese, there is always something unseen going on. Hormonal, psychological, etc. I don’t know what it is, and you don’t know what it is. Bill Maher doesn’t know what it is. For that reason, there’s no need for you, me, or anyone else to have to bully or “tell” a fat person anything. When you do, 99 times out of 100, you’re doing it to feel superior yourself. (“I am not fat, therefore I must be a paragon of health and self control compared to you!”) Your feeling of superiority does not motivate anyone to change their habits. Period. Do unto others....

P.S. We are all going to die. Even skinny people!

by Anonymousreply 104September 14, 2019 3:32 PM

James Corden does nothing brilliantly. The only thing he is good at is grabbing his crotch nightly on national television while delivering unfunny jokes wearing badly fitted suits and leaning his porcine body into guests to interview them as they recoil in horror.

by Anonymousreply 105September 14, 2019 3:42 PM

James Corden has a glandular problem. He has a gland that makes him a greedy bastard.

by Anonymousreply 106September 14, 2019 3:45 PM

There is no benefit to shaming fat people. Fat people already know they're fat. They live every day feeling different, not having the energy and agility to perform all the activities they might enjoy, and they have more health problems. Why add bullying to the list of problems?

by Anonymousreply 107September 14, 2019 3:48 PM

Pretty rich of Corden to talk about bullying considering his off-stage rep as an insufferable asshole towards his staff.

by Anonymousreply 108September 14, 2019 3:54 PM

Former fatties often point to specific shaming that finally motivated them to stop over-eating and to start exercising. There are plenty of cases of when it worked.

by Anonymousreply 109September 14, 2019 3:56 PM

I loved the comment about the woman putting the pie out to cool as well. I guess he watches a lot of TCM.

And as said being fat makes him a lot of money. He is literally financially invested in it.

One thing that I don't understand is back when I was a kid there were very few fat kids. It was like everyone was in skinny jeans. So everyone says we were more active. Well I wasn't. I was terrible at making friends and playing sports so I was in a lot listening to obcs and watching TV. And I ate whatever I wanted and was a beanpole well into my 20s.

I really think it has to be the food being consumed in large part. Something is going on there. More frozen foods, more fast foods, the ingredients, high fructose sugar? I mean corporate America is invested in keep us out of shape and sick. It makes a lot of money.

by Anonymousreply 110September 14, 2019 4:13 PM

And by the way it wasn't brilliant. Even if you think he has a point he's not in the least bit thoughtful or eloquent.

by Anonymousreply 111September 14, 2019 4:16 PM

Billy, meanwhile, is a drug addict. What sort of toll has all the cannabis smoke taken on his lungs? Who knows what all the THC has done to his brain.

Onward to more drug-addict shaming, right?

by Anonymousreply 112September 14, 2019 4:25 PM

[quote] Just admit that you eat too much. Why is that so hard? Just own it. You're not fooling anyone. You're not a victim. If don't want people to comment on your weight, stop taking so many calories.

In other words, "LALALALALALALALALALA...I'm listening to any reason-based arguments backed by science. I'm just going to shame fat people...LALALALALALALALALALA."

And in 10 or 20 years his metabolism hits the inevitable wall and he won't be able to look at food without gaining weight.

by Anonymousreply 113September 14, 2019 4:40 PM

^^^ ...I'm NOT listening... ^^^

by Anonymousreply 114September 14, 2019 4:41 PM

I have a Genetic deformity and a family history of schizophrenia which causes my brain chemicals to not be the same as everyone else. I need cigarettes to feel better. PLEASE DONT SMOKESHAME

by Anonymousreply 115September 14, 2019 6:44 PM

LMAO. James Corden is just mad because he is FUCKING FAT AS FUCK and in the closet. Maher's statement must have struck a nerve.

by Anonymousreply 116September 14, 2019 7:23 PM

R92, excellent point--self-reported calories eaten are RARELY accurate. People underestimate how much they eat by a LOT, especially if they are overweight. This has been shown time and time again.

by Anonymousreply 117September 14, 2019 7:33 PM

The law of thermodynamics is immutable.

There are no genes that render it false.

by Anonymousreply 118September 14, 2019 7:45 PM

Though it's not nice to fat shame, we shouldn't normalize larger bodies either. Everyone remembers this study, right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119September 14, 2019 8:03 PM

I hate this whole trend of “shaming.” So puritanical.

by Anonymousreply 120September 14, 2019 8:06 PM

R119 that explains why hillbillies all turn into fat beer dranking hogs.

by Anonymousreply 121September 14, 2019 8:16 PM

R120, it’s more than just puritanical. It’s a way for people with no real power or self-worth to feel superior to people they perceive as weaker or less fortunate.

As more and more people in this country lose their economic power, the problem is only going to get worse.

by Anonymousreply 122September 14, 2019 9:29 PM

[quote] The law of thermodynamics is immutable.

Good thing all the studies that show that the body adjust to caloric intake don't violate those laws in any way.

by Anonymousreply 123September 14, 2019 9:38 PM

I will tell you right now as someone who has dieted all of my life and was finally successful: We're not all the same. I needed to feel hungry when I went to sleep to actually lose weight. whereas I have family/friends who eat whatever the fuck they want and still lose (and some are older than me). I mean I ate healthy, but if I ate the same, healthy meals later in the day, I'd see the scale go up. I did cut out most carbs like bread, pasta, rice, oats, grains, but left in quinoa and I ate fruit and veg including root vegetables like sweet potatoes. As long as I didn't eat after 5p, I lost weight.

by Anonymousreply 124September 14, 2019 9:50 PM

R3, but Oprah did just that. She has hired personal chefs/trainers and she still ended up gaining back the weight. There's a mental component. If you're not genuinely happy in your own mind, you find comfort with a vice be it alcohol, drugs, sex, food.

I mean she went so far as to publish a recipe book with her personal chef who was cooking healthy meals for her.

Remember this?:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125September 14, 2019 9:54 PM

Correction: When I say "sex," I mean to the point of destroying relationships, not sex in general.

by Anonymousreply 126September 14, 2019 9:55 PM

OP Every 'point' Corden made did not apply to him, he is fat because he is a lazy fat cunt. Totally the wrong person to take this 'issue' on.

by Anonymousreply 127September 14, 2019 9:57 PM

Addiction to unhealthy eating is like alcohol addiction. There can’t be any cheat days. You can live without dessert and other problem foods.

by Anonymousreply 128September 14, 2019 11:11 PM

Fat-shaming never did a damned thing to motivate me to lose weight.

You know why? Because you're all rank amateurs compared to what I'd do to myself.

My motivator was being terrified of diabetes. And the continued motivation has been actually feeling like I'm in the same exurbs of "hot" now. I mean, in the real world I'm probably a 4, but I'll be generous and call myself a Datalounge 7.

by Anonymousreply 129September 15, 2019 1:13 AM

American “brilliantly” or British “brilliantly”?

by Anonymousreply 130September 15, 2019 1:33 AM

Here is the point that Bill Maher is making that is getting overlooked: Yes, it's not good to shame fat people. But it is also not good to encourage fat people.

And policing people to make sure they say that disgustingly fat people look FABULOUS is a problem.

by Anonymousreply 131September 15, 2019 1:53 AM

Universal in Florida fat shames people. I'm amazed they get way with it.

by Anonymousreply 132September 15, 2019 2:05 AM

How does Bill Maher get away with making fun of anybody's looks? Am I missing something? Bill Maher is not good-looking. He somehow gets a pass for his looks. Geez. (I actually hate James Corden and his shtick with famous people in cars.)

by Anonymousreply 133September 15, 2019 2:25 AM

R133 But he isn't fat, nobody has ever died from being plain, but fatty faces will die from being unhealthy fat cunts

by Anonymousreply 134September 15, 2019 3:18 AM

I liked what James Corden had to say. Seriously. Here's a problem, though. I found out that I was borderline-diabetic. I took control of my diet, and eventually lost over 100 lbs, and got my lab tests within the healthy range. There was some thread here on DL where we talked about our body types, and when I mentioned my measurements (for the last time) I was immediately told I was fat. You can do all the things your doctors tell you to do. But there are people out there who will judge you. Listen to the right people.

by Anonymousreply 135September 15, 2019 3:45 AM

My doctor told me months ago I was pre diabetic and had to lose weight or go on medication. Well the months have gone by and I haven't changed my diet and I haven't lost any weight. If I don't get another blood test and return to my doctor and I pretend it all never happened do at some point soon I just keel over dead?

by Anonymousreply 136September 15, 2019 4:09 AM

R136 People have some misconceptions about chronic illnesses and things like diabetes. If you don't treat it, you don't just keel over dead. You get really sick first, you feel absolutely miserable. Your wounds won't heal, your skin will develop ulcers, you might lose a leg. Such things aren't fun at all, they are horrible. But people doing unhealthy things like smoking or overeating like to pretend it's just about having a handful more or less years to your life span. It isn't, it's about the quality of life you have in all those years before.

by Anonymousreply 137September 15, 2019 4:28 AM

Bill Maher beats the black prostitutes he hires to fuck him.

Why does he still have a show?

by Anonymousreply 138September 15, 2019 4:30 AM

R136 once your fingers and toes start to tingle and then go numb you'll know you're getting close.

by Anonymousreply 139September 15, 2019 3:03 PM

I think it would help if Maher's full 7-minute argument were here as well, and not just Corden's response to it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140September 16, 2019 1:20 PM

R131 called it--tons of media outlets are swarming on this now but they all, Corden included, miss Maher's actual point: No one should shame fat PEOPLE, but we also shouldn't be pushing blanket acceptance of obesity in the guise of positive body image and promotion of self-esteem.

by Anonymousreply 141September 16, 2019 8:44 PM

I think the rhetoric surrounding this issue is just ghastly and the public, primarily the media, really needs to do a major shift in describing the health movement more accurately. Fat Shaming? In no way, shape or form should nurturing the maintenance of a healthy weight be considered shaming, at least on a public social level. And any SJW-type pushing that ideology is just outright mad. Part of the problem is that the anti fat-shaming movement seems to be primarily promulgated by, at least from what I can see, younger 20-something, over-weight women. For the most part, these women are fine. For example, that Lizzo gal seemed to have no problems due to her weight at the VMAs, in fact her abilities were quite impressive. The problem is, if she turns 30 and she's that heavy (realistically she'll get heavier), that's when things turn bad. One thing I'm picking up on in this thread, particularly with the anti-"shaming" crowd (but also in some of the proponents) is that no one has actually expressed any anecdotal experience with anyone who is significantly over-weight.

One of my best friends from child hood was always the paradigm of a beautiful woman. Great figure, perfect no-braces teeth, long black hair, perfect skin etc. Basically a Katherine Zeta type. And she maintained that beauty through our college years. She was a knockout, but she was also a spit fire with a great zeal for life. Ten years later (meaning now), she is literally almost as wide as she is tall. She's only about 5'1" and probably close to 3.5 to 4 feet from side to side. And this is someone with whom I am and always have been very close. And the problem isn't at all her weight, but her health. She can walk, but not fast. She can engage in no athletic movement, however minor (e.g. running to catch a bus or cross a street quickly wont happen). She's having joint problems; she used to love high heels, but her feet and ankles are wrecked from her size. She has back problems. Her breasts are so large that she can't even see her own giant stomach beneath them. And this is all a product of her eating and lifestyle (we were heavy partiers back in the day and she never quite stopped like the rest of us). And while I still love her dearly and would never "shame" her for her condition, you damned well better believe I do talk to her very bluntly about her situation, because, ultimately she will die from this. And even if she doesn't her quality of life will be horrid. Her quality of life already is going down hill. We used to love going shopping together and walking around the malls when we were younger. Walking around a mall is too much for her now. The only thing she can really do now is waddle into a bar or restaurant, rest her ass on some God-forsaken stool and drink and eat. And it has affected our friendship, it's affected her desire to be seen publicly (I can't just sit playing games with her during a social call). It's affected her professionally and it's affected her immediate family and rendered her quite physically unappealing, despite being a rare beauty in her day.

That's the thing that people on her don't seem to get when describing this as "fat-shaming." Obesity in one's 30s and 40s isn't the same thing as being fat or over weight in one's 20s. I referenced that Lizzo gal above; I highly doubt she'll being what she did at the VMAs for too much longer, ad especially if she gets any bigger. She's beautiful and talented, but heavy weight gain isn't something to celebrate because it legitimately ruins lives. All of a sudden, being overweight hits a person's life hard, and things falls apart. And I've had other family members (non-immediate) in the same situation. I've seen it many times to people for whom care. It really sucks. So while I appreciate the anti-shaming people and the sensitivity from where it stems, that really isn't what's going on, at least not at the public level. The fact is, these people in such conditions affect others. It's burdensome, not just on the individual, but on their families, their kids, the coworkers and employers.

by Anonymousreply 142September 17, 2019 7:54 AM

(continued, sorry this is so long) Further, their living conditions and housekeeping standards diminish. And this isn't some My-300-Pound-Life situation. My friend still can move, she can still bathe and care for herself, she can cook. But her life still sucks and it does for anyone else who interacts with her.

So yeah, I am vehemently (venomously really) against any youthful SJW movement to celebrate being obese based on some lofty ideal of being nice. Truth be told, I am all for any kind of government intervention. Let's start closing fast food joints, limiting after-hours grocery sales to produce only, and taxing the hell out of sugar and snacks. Seriously, wanting someone obese to lose weight isn't shaming. Sheesh. OK, sorry, rant over.

by Anonymousreply 143September 17, 2019 8:07 AM

I have never in my life smoked.

I have never in my life used recreational narcotics.

If I've been on a real bender, this means I've had two (2) gin and tonics in the course of a week.

I don't sleep around (mostly because nobody ever asks, boo-hoo.)

I try to get 6-7 hours of sleep every night.

I take a Centrum and a handful of other supplements every day.

I wear my seatbelt when I drive.

And if I could afford health care insurance, I'd be seeing a doctor and a dentist on a regular basis.

Ergo, Little Billy Maher, if I wanna scarf pizza and chocolate chip cookies and guzzle Coke Zero, I'm fucking gonna scarf pizza and chocolate chip cookies and guzzle Coke Zero, you smug, sanctimonious, insufferable cunt, you.

by Anonymousreply 144September 17, 2019 8:44 AM

R143 "Youthful SJW Movement To Celebrate Being Obese Based On Some Lofty Ideal Of Being Nice" You most certainly typoe confused and bewildered, otherwise you really fell prey to the right's "uncompassionate conservatism" and gross abbreviations. Yeah, that movement you speak of tries to recruit everyone.... It's horrid propoganda by young "libs" to be kind to one another. I don't see anyone "celebrating" obesity either, as you put it.

Another credible theory as to why we have gotten heavier, even on a calorie restricted diet since the 1950s or earlier periods is a theory of toxins. I'm awfully surprised no one has mentioned it in 143 posts. The body sequesters chemicals, carcinogens, petrochemicals, herbicides, pesticides, aluminum, Triclosan, Teflon, Tris, etc away from vital organs and deep into stored deposits of fat. It can be the body's equivalent of a waste dump. The more the body takes these in, the more fat cells are made, and fatty tissue results. More research definitely should be done in this arena. It's no surprise how many tonnes of chemicals are saturated into the soils where we grow food.

Another major shift is corn and soybeans used exclusively to feed livestock. These animals get fat very fast, and I believe we do in turn when we consume them. There's little doubt pastured animals (grass-fed), and free-range or pastured eggs are helpful in regaining one's health and losing weight.

by Anonymousreply 145September 17, 2019 8:55 AM

This look like a DLer nightmare... or maybe convention

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146September 17, 2019 9:36 AM

R143 is right. I work in a large office and the number of morbidly obese who hit their 40s and go down hill quickly is stark. Knee replacement, hip replacement, back surgery, neck surgery, kidney surgery, cpap machines and on and on. One man tripped, fell down and broke so many bones (due to the force of his weight) that he was in convalescence for half a year. In the past few years the company has really focused on health initiatives and promoting (bribing) people to eat and move healthily. I wish these "fat is beautiful" folks would cram it.

by Anonymousreply 147September 17, 2019 10:19 AM

Now fativists want to take fat shaming away from me.

by Anonymousreply 148September 17, 2019 11:00 AM

I think Americans just have weird perceptions of food. I agree with Kevin Smith when he says Americans are conditioned to want everything we eat to be a sumptuous feast. I know James Corden is not American, but still. All my friends who are overweight cannot even have a simple cup of coffee, without all the bells and whistles, a snack to go with it. They sit behind a desk all day and don't realize that one snack is probably half the calories they need for the day.

All this fat shaming nonsense is just a byproduct of this perception we have of food here, and decades of aggressive marketing by corporations foisting it upon us. The Popeyes chicken sandwich phenomenon is a good example, I seriously doubt something like this would happen anywhere else in the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149September 17, 2019 1:38 PM

Anyone bitching about SJWs is just doing the alt-right Nazi's work for them.

by Anonymousreply 150September 17, 2019 2:58 PM

Yup, R149. I remember when Krispy Kreme donuts arrived on the scene. The media helped fuel hysteria over this dumb donut, and before you knew it people desperate to have one were lining up around the block. Does Krispy Kreme even still exist?

As someone pointed out upthread, the real problem is that Americans use food to fill an emptiness in their lives. That’s a much more complex problem than calories in/calories out.

by Anonymousreply 151September 17, 2019 5:44 PM

R151, krispy kreme is still huge in the south and it has actually made a resurgence in places it disappeared from. In the mid 00s, many places in the Chicago burbs saw their Krispy Kreme locations go away and now they are coming back to more locations.

by Anonymousreply 152September 17, 2019 11:04 PM

Suzanne Sugarbaker would’ve handed Bill Maher his skinny, pot smoking ass!

PLEASE NOTE: The original speech is not available on YouTube. But thankfully, it has been faithfully recreated by the ever-popular Judy Dawson. (She was up for the part of the “Well I never in all my life” library patron until Spielberg decided to go in another direction).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153September 17, 2019 11:17 PM

Someone being fat is not a moral stance. Therefore I wouldnt think it prudent to use it as a factor to evaluate someone.

by Anonymousreply 154September 17, 2019 11:26 PM

Maybe so many Americans are obese because no one smokes anymore? (Not that anyone should be smoking.) People used to smoke and drink coffee all day. It kept their hands occupied. Now they've replaced that with food. People basically graze all day now.

by Anonymousreply 155September 18, 2019 11:55 AM

R155, I wonder if snacking is huge in other countries? Americans have a big habit of snacking when bored. That's a big reason I don't have any snacks in my apartment.

by Anonymousreply 156September 18, 2019 6:23 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like there's just a lot more food, and much greater access to it than in decades prior. On the way home from my gym, which is about 3 miles from me (in a half-rural, half-suburban area) there are probably 20-25 restaurants, and maybe half are your typical McDonald's-esque fast food joints. There are some in between restaurants, like a Potbelly and a sit down LeeAnn Chins, etc. and some more informal restaurants like Applebee's. There's also three large grocery stores, all open to midnight and one is 24-hours. I'm not completely sure, but as a boy in the 80s and 90s, I don't remember there being nearly as many food places. As a treat my parents' would take us kids to McDonalds (basically the only fast food place within a reasonable distance) as a treat, but it and no other fast foods were a significant part of our diet. I know it sound kind of commie, but I firmly believe cities and towns (and even at the state level) need to start cracking down on the proliferation of garbage food in such small areas. I appreciate comments like R145 for proposing interesting theories, which very well could be correct. But at the end of the day, people need to stop eating so much to stop losing weight.

One of the other problems as well is access to decent fitness facilities. Gyms are obviously one of the easiest ways for people to get varied forms of exercise. And although people can certainly do without them, often they're a person's only access to weights, a pool, and various pieces of cardio equipment. The problem is, most gyms are part of commercially successful chains, which push the idea of getting into shape via imagery and advertising with super-hot, super buff/skinny people (complete with a dewey, sweat-induced glow that just makes one look ever so beautiful). I think a lot of over weight people (aside from having an aversion to fitness) truly don't feel like they belong in a lot of fitness facilities. And gyms probably need to minimize the idealization of model-esque bodies so that people who don't fit that image feel they can fit in. I remember when I first started losing weight and I wouldn't get a gym membership until I had slimmed down enough to where I felt like I wouldn't invoke the stares and disgusted glances of those more fit than me (which never really happens truthfully, but nobody wants to be the fat person struggling on an elliptical).

by Anonymousreply 157September 20, 2019 1:15 AM

R150 Trans Fascist

by Anonymousreply 158September 20, 2019 2:57 AM

Search for Gary Taubes Google talk on YouTube. He talks about the drivers of obesity. It's not as simple as 'calories in, calories out'.

by Anonymousreply 159September 20, 2019 4:04 AM

R158 = Bigot.

by Anonymousreply 160September 20, 2019 2:58 PM

Can't he afford cocaine? Bill Maher being an ass is no excuse for being a fat fuck!

by Anonymousreply 161September 20, 2019 3:01 PM

I definitely think R155 is on to something.

by Anonymousreply 162September 20, 2019 3:04 PM

It's not so much keeping hands busy isn't it a matter of suppressing appetite? I know coffee helps me. Isn't it why all those socialite swans died mostly in their 60s? They were heavy smokers to stay thin?

by Anonymousreply 163September 20, 2019 3:29 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164January 15, 2020 7:26 AM

What a stupid fat fuck

by Anonymousreply 165February 6, 2020 6:54 AM

That walking tub of lard shouldn't be lecturing anybody!! If there's anything more despicable than Corden himself, it's that his pro-fat BS. He's basically telling people to kill themselves, it's fking horrible. OP, you need a serious optics check.

by Anonymousreply 166February 6, 2020 7:03 AM

Fat shaming is just denial of reality. The fat movement is telling people to commit mass suicide ffs..

by Anonymousreply 167February 6, 2020 7:05 AM

Cordon is a fat fuck who over eats. Nothing brilliant about it.

by Anonymousreply 168February 6, 2020 8:23 AM

I've found out a few things over the last couple years. The first let me tel you I went from 230lbs to 165lbs. Know how I did it, dropped the sugar and processed carbs like bread, pasta etc. from my diet. It is why today I call sugar the biggest deleterious thing in our diets. Yes I know we run on glucose but it is not the same as sugar or hfcs. But here's the other thing, fruits and vegetables also contain some carb/sugar. You just have the added benefit of the fiber in the fruit that helps, plus fat isn't evil.

And the nutritionists are just making it up.I am dead serious about that. Government has been no help either. It's just flailing uselessly at the issue.

by Anonymousreply 169February 6, 2020 9:34 AM

l eat no processed sugar but do eat pasta several times per week. I am very slim.

The US has a big problem in the food supply.

by Anonymousreply 170February 6, 2020 9:36 AM

R169 R170 High fructose corn syrup. It causes diabetes, obesity, and it's banned in a lot of countries.

by Anonymousreply 171February 6, 2020 11:56 PM

Is James Corden still fat?

by Anonymousreply 172March 1, 2020 9:01 PM

^Yes.

by Anonymousreply 173March 1, 2020 9:15 PM

Good discussion. Bill Maher is a jerk but once in awhile he hits the mark. Sort of like that expression about 'even a broken clock is correct twice a day.' BUT James Corden makes a good defense. I can't agree with OP's slam dunk assessment of winner/loser in this debate but I surely appreciate the opportunity to read the discussion.

by Anonymousreply 174March 1, 2020 9:24 PM

Meanwhile, back in the day....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175March 1, 2020 9:29 PM

Genetics probably do have some kind of role. I've got a pretty average body but I've noticed that I gain weight easily so I usually eat less than people around me.

Last year I went on a trip abroad with a friend of mine who has a similar body type. We walked 10 miles a day for 2 weeks, ate about the same things in the same quantities. He lost 5 pounds, I put on 2. We're also the same age and about the same height)

by Anonymousreply 176March 1, 2020 11:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!