Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What the polls may - and may not - tell us about next year's election

"We also shouldn’t read too much, pollsters and political handicappers say, into the variations in how different Democrats fare against Trump in these polls. Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders might enjoy the biggest margins simply because they have the highest name ID among the 2020 Democratic field. It doesn’t necessarily mean that they would wallop Trump whereas Kamala Harris or Pete Buttigieg would struggle. It might just mean fewer Americans have heard of them.

But we can still learn something from these surveys. Their message is pretty simple: Trump looks weak. The president is lagging in the low 40s in head-to-head polls, consistent with his stubbornly low approval ratings. A lot of Americans seem to be fully committed to or are actively considering voting for somebody else. That’s not where the incumbent, after three years in office, should be if they want a second term."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 13, 2019 2:44 PM

This is what we've been saying all along - Biden and Sanders have a huge inbuilt advantage at the outset of the Democratic nominee race due to their name recognition but this says nothing at all about their abilities or appeal once it's Trump Vs D. You can see that advantage eroding as the other key players (i.e. Warren and Harris, principally) get more exposure/airtime.

by Anonymousreply 1September 13, 2019 11:06 AM

The only erosion around Kamala is Kamala's. Come on, she's not gonna happen. It's going to come down to Biden v. Warren.

by Anonymousreply 2September 13, 2019 11:12 AM

Don't vorry, Donald. Ve take care of you. Four more years.

by Anonymousreply 3September 13, 2019 12:54 PM

The more I see/hear from Kamala, the more I can't get behind her. I'm not entirely sure what it is, but she just comes across as insincere to me.

by Anonymousreply 4September 13, 2019 2:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!