Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Frasier TV Show Thread

Let’s discuss the best TV sitcom, other than I Love Lucy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171July 26, 2020 7:13 PM

I miss Niles like a bitch. What is DHP up to these days?

by Anonymousreply 1September 13, 2019 9:35 AM

One of my top 5 US sitcoms.

Great cast, great writing, doesn't talk down to its audience.

Only a few dud episodes in its long run!

by Anonymousreply 2September 13, 2019 9:44 AM

He was just punched in the face by a man now dead.

by Anonymousreply 3September 13, 2019 9:53 AM

I love that show so much. John Mahoney lived across the street when I was in Oak Park Illinois. I'd see him at the grocery store or at restaurants and everyone would just let him be. Such a nice man.

by Anonymousreply 4September 13, 2019 10:54 AM

I'm excited and terrified about a possible reboot.

by Anonymousreply 5September 13, 2019 10:57 AM

You could have had a good thread here OP. But you ruined it with that I Love Lucy reference. ILL was a good show for its time. That's it. Frasier is one of the best, if not the best, network comedy ever.

by Anonymousreply 6September 13, 2019 11:14 AM

'Ham Radio' is my favorite episode. How the cast got through filming is beyond me.

"He was a... mwultipwle muduwuh."

by Anonymousreply 7September 13, 2019 12:40 PM

Rrrromping with my school chums through the fens and spinneys

by Anonymousreply 8September 13, 2019 3:37 PM

Oh no, Frasier and Miles won't be admitted to the prestigious club!

by Anonymousreply 9September 13, 2019 4:50 PM

^Niles

by Anonymousreply 10September 13, 2019 4:51 PM

My favorite episode is when Martin takes the boys out for dinner at the steak restaurant. You guys know which one I mean, the one that had the potatoes with all the fixins.

With the snobbish jokes between Frasier and Niles, along with Niles’ outrageous steak order and then their comeuppance with Martin’s speech. Loved it.

by Anonymousreply 11September 13, 2019 5:22 PM

The best episodes were when Frasier was being put in his place. Did he start the annoying trend of naming kids last names? I know it's a southern thing too, but it went all of the rails about 10 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 12September 13, 2019 8:32 PM

We leave at daybreak!

by Anonymousreply 13September 13, 2019 8:36 PM

Stupid pretentious boring show. Kelsey Grammar is a bald bitch with an eighthead.

by Anonymousreply 14September 13, 2019 8:39 PM

I still don't understand why such a great apartment with that view didn't have an en suite washer/dryer, poor Daphne had to schlep the laundry down to the basement communal laundry. I bet Niles had his own washer/dryer at The Montana.

by Anonymousreply 15September 13, 2019 8:42 PM

The most consistently comical element of the show was Niles posing as a heterosexual.

by Anonymousreply 16September 13, 2019 8:51 PM

One of the best episodes was his caricature at the restaurant that looked like an even uglier Beavis. But also just like Kelsey

by Anonymousreply 17September 13, 2019 9:06 PM

The Seabee Jeebies episode when Frasier has a long-winded speech about the august occasion and he has to stop to tell the audience that they're running low on . . . sausage (his emphasis is exquisite). Then asking everyone to limit themselves to one link or patty. I laugh hysterically every time. And the first 20 minutes are quite funny as well; as when Roz is sick of her sister who's always bragging and says to the waiter, "Two Bloody Marys, and there's a 20 in it for you if one of them is poisoned. I don't care which one."

by Anonymousreply 18September 13, 2019 9:28 PM

I. AM. WOUNDED!

by Anonymousreply 19September 13, 2019 9:43 PM

I enjoy the gay farce episodes, the ski lodge one, the one with Patrick Stewart, the one with Frasier's gay station owner, and the one with Frasier trying to hook up Martin with his date's gay uncle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 13, 2019 11:09 PM

[quote] I still don't understand why such a great apartment with that view didn't have an en suite washer/dryer....

That was covered in one episode, when Daphne found out here was a washer/dryer connection in one of Frazier's closets she went nuts but he wanted the room for his hats.

Frasier: Well, Joe has found the source of the leak in my ceiling. It is Cam Winston's brand new washing machine! By God, for this time he's gone too far! As if his noise and noxious presence at the condo board meetings weren't bad enough. Have you ever heard of anything more...fury inspiring!

Daphne: I certainly have not. Imagine the cheek of the man, installing an illegal washer-dryer.

Joe: Oh, they're not illegal. A lot of the units have them. You guys have a hookup in the hall closet where you keep all those hats...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 14, 2019 1:40 AM

I laughed the hardest at the Hot and Foamy episode, the clip below is only 55 seconds long you should watch it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 14, 2019 1:44 AM

Funny as the show was, Frasier was kind of iffy about wanting a real role in his Freddie's life. He didn't have to move so far away just to get away from Lilith.

How did he even get a radio gig in Seattle anyway? Do they just fall out of the skyline?

by Anonymousreply 23September 14, 2019 2:17 AM

I'm watching the Something about Dr. Mary episode right now and it's so funny.

by Anonymousreply 24September 14, 2019 2:20 AM

R15, because that room in Frasier's apt was being used for his Homberg collection.

Daphne: I certainly have not. Imagine the cheek of the man, installing an illegal washer-dryer. Joe: Oh, they're not illegal. A lot of the units have them. You guys have a hookup in the hall closet where you keep all those hats...

[The look on Daphne's face at this revelation shows that she has found something more "fury-inspiring" than Frasier's issues with Cam.]

Frasier: [quickly, to Daphne] First of all, I had completely forgotten about the hookup. Second of all, I believe the homburg is poised for a comeback,

by Anonymousreply 25September 14, 2019 2:22 AM

I missed R21, obviously :)

by Anonymousreply 26September 14, 2019 2:23 AM

The one where they get into a upscale spa and get to the Platinum "level" and see another door they are convinced is an even higher, more exclusive level and end up in an alley next to the dumpster and seeing Niles wrapped up like a mummy fleeing some bees or the Valentine for Niles episode.

by Anonymousreply 27September 14, 2019 2:23 AM

Shouldn't the ritzy Elliott Bay Towers have just put the washer/dryer in there in the first place?

by Anonymousreply 28September 14, 2019 2:25 AM

The crane Brothers never step foot on the Hot in Cleveland set but Peri Gilpin and John Mahoney did.

by Anonymousreply 29September 14, 2019 2:59 AM

Never really watched it at the time - being in my 20s and busy with life. Have started recently and it is really well written.

by Anonymousreply 30September 14, 2019 3:10 AM

I loved the recurring characters like Gil Chesterton, Bulldog, Lana (Jean Smart) and of course, Bebe!

by Anonymousreply 31September 14, 2019 3:21 AM

Bulldog was kind of hot.

Remember the episode where Roz locked him on her balcony naked?

by Anonymousreply 32September 14, 2019 10:08 AM

Bebe was magnificent darling.

And don't forget Lana's son Kirby.......dude....

by Anonymousreply 33September 14, 2019 10:10 AM

Kirby was awful.

by Anonymousreply 34September 14, 2019 1:11 PM

Great show

by Anonymousreply 35September 14, 2019 1:20 PM

I'm with you, R22.

Another favorite was the murder play on the radio, previously sited, when a frustrated Niles takes a gun and starts killing people,

And the one when the brothers decide it would be a splendid idea to run a restaurant together, and the way Niles killed that poor eel.

by Anonymousreply 36September 14, 2019 1:57 PM

Hated it.

by Anonymousreply 37September 14, 2019 1:59 PM

Niles ironing and setting Frasier's apartment on fire. I think it was the Valentine episode. No dialogue, just Niles and physical humor which I am not normally a fan of but he is brilliant.!

by Anonymousreply 38September 14, 2019 2:12 PM

Kirby was a reference to Grammar's recurring character on The Simpson's. Check out the hair. I thought he was funny.

by Anonymousreply 39September 14, 2019 3:16 PM

[quote]Bebe was magnificent darling.

Indeed she was! And, as Frasier pointed out, she didn't need to worship Satan because he worshiped her.

by Anonymousreply 40September 14, 2019 4:59 PM

Roz takes Niles to a singles bar (The Sure Thing) to meet women. Niles tells Roz that the bar "isn't exactly my milieu".

Roz: "Okay, let's make that lesson number one: If you're going to use words like "milieu," you might as well show up here with a sore on your lip and a couple of kids."

by Anonymousreply 41September 14, 2019 5:11 PM

I never got into this show. I tried a few times, but it seemed unwatchable to me.

by Anonymousreply 42September 14, 2019 5:14 PM

Daphne used to be a loopy psychic. Then slowly she became practical and chic.

by Anonymousreply 43September 14, 2019 5:25 PM

Hey baby I hear the blues a-callin'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44September 14, 2019 5:30 PM

This is one of my comfort shows when there's absolutely nothing else to watch and I need a laugh. The episodes where they discuss Maris are always funny.

Niles on Maris taking up riding.

"Apparently the oils in the saddle reacted badly with her cellulite cream. Created a powerful epoxy. It took an hour and a full bottle of nail polish remover to get her free. Today her poor little thighs were so sore the only way she could find comfort was to straddle a frozen butterball turkey."

by Anonymousreply 45September 14, 2019 9:38 PM

[quote] Roz (looking through a keyhole for Maris): I don't see her, maybe she went back out. Oh, wait. I see her coat on a hat rack.

[quote] Frasier: Look closer. Is the hat rack moving?

by Anonymousreply 46September 14, 2019 9:56 PM

Enjoyed it a lot. One scene sticks in my head. Roz and Frasier are in the cafe discussing thier new ball breaking bitch of a boss (Felicity Huffman.) Suddenly the door opens and Huffman walks in, Roz panics and sort of hunches down: "Oh God! Look who it is. No! don't look she might come over" Anyway Huffman is oblivious to them, she gets her coffee and sits in the corner. Roz: "I can't believe it, who does she think she is, she totally ignored us, what a stuck up bitch!" Frasier rolls eyes.

by Anonymousreply 47September 14, 2019 10:06 PM

R47, oh I loved the Felicity Huffman episodes, especially the one where Frasier came on to her and forced everyone at the station to go to one of those "sensitivity seminars".

For a show that ran 11 years, they never really ran out of gas. Some shows, like Andy Griffith and Bewitched were wonderful for 5 years, then became unwatchable. That never happened with Frasier. The only mistake they made was finally marrying Niles and Daphne, but what else could they do at that point?

by Anonymousreply 48September 15, 2019 12:32 AM

Lisa Kudrow was originally cast to play Roz.

I liked Roz' apartment.

by Anonymousreply 49September 15, 2019 12:38 AM

Lilith was my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 50September 15, 2019 12:47 AM

Oh, wait, that was Cheers.

by Anonymousreply 51September 15, 2019 12:47 AM

Martin Mahoney was 39 years old when he decided to become an actor. He is also gay. So is Niles.

by Anonymousreply 52September 15, 2019 12:50 AM

And so is Bulldog, R52.

by Anonymousreply 53September 15, 2019 12:56 AM

R53 At first I thought you meant Eddie. AH HA HA HA HA HA! A gay dog! Too funny.

Forgot about Bulldog. Yep, he's gay too.

by Anonymousreply 54September 15, 2019 1:04 AM

My favorite episode is "An Affair To Forget." This is the one where Frasier thinks Maris is having an affair with her fencing instructor, and they have to translate between English, Spanish and German during a fencing duel. It's hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 15, 2019 2:03 AM

Niles threw Mel away for Daphne after the ceremony and Daphne had absolutely no compassion for her. That is when her character took a turn for the worse and became very selfish.

Was it really necessary to trash Mel just to prop up the lovebirds who had plenty of time to admit their feelings but only did at the worst possible moment.

Not to mention how Donnie got the short end of the stick.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Daphne and Niles but the way they finally got them together was served up to the audience on a garbage can lid.

by Anonymousreply 56September 15, 2019 2:17 AM

^ oh that's harsh, but kind of true.

They then made Mel out to be the devil, by having her make Niles pretend to stay with her and then be nasty to her to force the break up.

I also didn't like the Daphne getting really fat arc to accommodate Jane Leeves' pregnancy and subsequent absence for a while.... I'm not sure how else they could've done it. But it does seem awfully nasty in hindsight.

by Anonymousreply 57September 15, 2019 7:48 AM

I love the Patrick Stewart episode where Frasier ends up in a gay bar in tiny shorts "hoping to find a man who is presumably in the bathroom".

by Anonymousreply 58September 15, 2019 7:58 AM

The fat shaming jokes were awful in those episodes. Actually, there was a lot of mean, cruel humour in this show, especially from Martin to his sons. It's the fly in the ointment for me

by Anonymousreply 59September 15, 2019 9:42 AM

Frasier was similar to BBC's Absolutely Fabulous in the sense that you loved to see the leads fail at everything. You laughed when karma caught up to their high almighty, dismissive attitude and kicked them in the balls.

by Anonymousreply 60September 15, 2019 10:01 AM

R24, I don't THINK so!

Frasier as sassy Black woman!

by Anonymousreply 61September 15, 2019 10:42 AM

IMO, the best episodes had the guest actors Patrick Stuart (rich gay), Michael Keaton (wheelchair holy-roller), Brian Bedford (gay), Jennifer Tilley (good-time gal), Eric Lutes (gay boss), and Derek Jacoby (washed-up theatre ham).

"Frasier" was chock full of brilliance, from the Crane brothers' unparalleled erudition in the service of humor to Crane pere's pithy puncturing; from Roz's wisecrack put-downs to Bulldog's fratboy japes; from Bebe's trenchant observations to Gil's effete bon mots; from Daphne's daffy reminiscences to Eddie's silent, staring judgments.

I still watch on either the Hallmark Channel or COZI.

by Anonymousreply 62September 15, 2019 11:04 AM

I rewatched the episode where Frasier has to get Bibi to stop smoking per her elderly fiancee, a rich, elderly Texan, who bought the radio station. Some really funny lines and physical comedy.

by Anonymousreply 63September 15, 2019 12:17 PM

I never watched it until recently. It's on Netflix now and I've been watching while exercising. I dislike the main character which limits my fondness, but I have to admit the writing is very good and remarkably consistent. I'm up to the point where Niles and Daphne are finally a couple and only now are there some occasional signs the show is running out of steam.

I noticed that Grammar's performance became more broad and relaxed starting in the second season. it's definitely funnier but it doesn't make him any more endearing.

Of course Bebe, Datalounge icon, is my favorite supporting character. I think the one where she and Frasier become TV hosts is her best episode and one of the show's funniest. I rarely laugh out loud when watching TV by myself, but that one had a moment that got a big guffaw from me. After Bebe fails to persuade Frasier to continue the TV gig, she turns her attention to Niles. And Frasier cries, with a note of real panic in his voice, "Niles! Don't look in her eyes!"

by Anonymousreply 64September 15, 2019 1:21 PM

The episode with Bebe as Satan complete with Madrigal singers and her hotel room number 666 is memorable, too. Laurie Metcalf as Nanny G is hysterical although she plays the role broadly (I love her so I don't care when she shoots for the back row). For the posters above who like the Hot and Foamy episode, here are outtakes (go to mark 6:00).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65September 15, 2019 1:33 PM

One of my favorite TV episodes of all-time was "Merry Christmas, Mrs. Moskowitz"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66September 15, 2019 1:38 PM

I've been rewatching it recently and it really holds up. The writing was brilliant and it's one of the few old sitcoms I like.

I loved the episode where Niles slept with Lilith after her husband leaves her. Niles was really the best part of that show.

by Anonymousreply 67September 15, 2019 1:48 PM

Loved the episode where Frasier & Niles take over an old restaurant that was about to close, only to find out it's not as easy as it seems.

During the course of the opening night, there's a mass walk-out by staff, fire sprinklers go off, and a car crashing through the wall

Plus Daphne kills an eel for squeamish Niles by cracking it on a table like a whip.

And then there's Roz & cherries jubilee . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 15, 2019 1:57 PM

Another vote for "Where There's Smoke, You're Fired", the episode where Frasier has to stop Bebe from smoking so she can marry a billionaire.

This would be my favourite sitcom, if Kelsey Grammer weren't in it. He, and what he turned Frasier into, were so unbearable that although they didn't blunt the brilliant scripting and acting of the other characters, they tip my vote in favour of Cheers (but only the Shelley Long seasons).

by Anonymousreply 69September 15, 2019 3:04 PM

Miles move to the Montana.

Frasier: You know, Niles, this precious little building of yours isn't as exclusive as you think. Your doorman waved me right through.

Niles: Well, that's because he knows you.

Frasier: Oh. Fan of my show?

Niles: No, he lives in your building.

by Anonymousreply 70September 15, 2019 5:08 PM

Only a snob like Niles would look his nose down on the Shang ri La.

It was a perfectly nice place to live.

by Anonymousreply 71September 16, 2019 1:44 AM

An episode where the brothers are double dating and their car breaks down. Trying not to let the women see they know nothing about cars, Frasier tells Niles to “open the hood and have a look.”

Niles responds, “Won’t that void the warranty?”

by Anonymousreply 72September 16, 2019 1:42 PM

Yeah, they could've made the Shangri La A LOT worse. As it was there were some old tacky clothes and a death.

by Anonymousreply 73September 16, 2019 1:52 PM

Decidedly NOT the best sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 74September 16, 2019 4:15 PM

Your nominee, r74?

by Anonymousreply 75September 16, 2019 4:41 PM

All in the Family

by Anonymousreply 76September 16, 2019 11:15 PM

Just because of this thread I started to binge watch the show again. Just watched the episode where Daphne's ex shows up and Daphne panics and introduces Niles as her husband which starts a whole web of lies involving the other Cranes and later on even Roz.

by Anonymousreply 77September 19, 2019 9:19 PM

The Tennessee Williams-esque episode where Daphne stays over at Niles' house because the power's gone out.

by Anonymousreply 78September 19, 2019 9:58 PM

Frasier: Roz, darling, you look divine!

Pregnant Roz: No, I look LIKE Divine.

by Anonymousreply 79September 19, 2019 10:09 PM

It was funny until it became the Niles and Daphne show. Then, I stopped watching.

by Anonymousreply 80September 19, 2019 10:16 PM

OP: Frasier was quite good; however, The Mary Tyler Moore Show was the best television show ever. And that includes I Love Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 81September 19, 2019 10:41 PM

Applause for television's biggest slut

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82September 19, 2019 10:49 PM

[quote] It was funny until it became the Niles and Daphne show.

The thing is, it never became the Niles and Daphne show. If anything, after they finally got together, it became clear that the writers had no idea what to do with those two characters. Hence, the pointless, inconsequential storylines: Daphne and Niles take yoga, Daphne and Niles do some other stupid thing together, etc.

The last couple of seasons were a bit weird and sort of disjointed in vibe from what preceded it: some funny stand alone episodes but also a lot of not-quite-drama not-quite-comedy ones, rehashes of older episodes where Frasier is torn between two women, Niles' heart condition, and so on .

by Anonymousreply 83September 19, 2019 10:56 PM

Daphne tackles the laundry situation

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84September 21, 2019 7:48 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85September 21, 2019 3:26 PM

I never understood the Emmy's lack of appreciation for Peri Gilpin -- she was never even nominated for supporting actress. She won nothing. But she was so good.

by Anonymousreply 86September 21, 2019 3:58 PM

^ I agree with you! She had terrific comic timing as Roz.

I watched the 'Niles has heart surgery' episodes last night, with all of the flashbacks in the other hospital rooms.

I was crying like a son of a bitch!

by Anonymousreply 87September 21, 2019 8:37 PM

Niles's Halloween party episode where Roz tells Frasier she thinks she's pregnant and then it goes around the party telephone game style is one of my faves (along with the radio murder mystery and ski lodge).

by Anonymousreply 88September 22, 2019 3:41 AM

My parents watched this so it can’t be good.

by Anonymousreply 89September 22, 2019 3:46 AM

Edward Hibbert (Gil) was a friend's literary agent in the 90's. I met him briefly once. He was as funny offscreen as he was on.

by Anonymousreply 90September 22, 2019 3:56 AM

For having so many seasons the writers didn't have many missteps but Gil Chesterton was one, After so many years of asserting he was straight to eyerolling from Roz and Frazier, I hated they showed him in the final season sneaking into the gay bar. It was a lot funnier to think he was what he presented, an extremely effete and pompous straight man; and nobody believing him.

by Anonymousreply 91September 22, 2019 5:07 AM

Gil & Bulldog

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92September 23, 2019 1:54 PM

It drove me crazy when Frasier and Cam Winston kept talking about their sweater weaver. Sweaters are not woven, you pompous twits.

by Anonymousreply 93September 23, 2019 7:31 PM

Sweater weaver is indeed the right term.

Machine made sweaters are indeed made on a sweater weaver.

Handmade sweaters are knit.

by Anonymousreply 94September 23, 2019 11:05 PM

Surely Fraiser would have sweaters that were hand-knit and not machine-made?

by Anonymousreply 95September 23, 2019 11:09 PM

No love for Sherry Dempsey, the blowsy barmaid who became Martin's girlfriend? I loved her cheerful common touch that drove the Crane boys mad.

Especially Frasier complaining about her dirty limericks, "which include a fellow fortuitously named Horatio."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96September 23, 2019 11:50 PM

Sherry was one of my favorite secondary characters and Marsha Mason did a great job with it. As either Niles or Frasier described her: Sophie Tucker with a banjo.

By far the least favorite one: Daphne's mother. Absolutely pointless and annoying. In fact, Daphne's entire family was very annoying, even Anthony LaPaglia as her brother Simon, and I usually like him.

by Anonymousreply 97September 24, 2019 12:46 AM

Never was a fan of Sherry, but Ronnie made me miss her. Also disliked pretty much all of Frasier's girlfriends, but especially Jean Smart.

by Anonymousreply 98September 24, 2019 3:26 AM

[quote] Daphne's mother. Absolutely pointless and annoying.

Much funnier when she was simply the other end of a phone call where we only heard Daphne's side.

Watching that who would ever have believed Millicent Martin in her day was a lesser Petula Clark in the UK

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99September 24, 2019 3:38 AM

The one with Christine Baranski and Piper Lauri is pretty epic. Then there's Teri Hatcher's character using Frasier as shrink analyzing her dreams instead of treating him like a date.

I was a little kid when these aired and it went completely over my head that the callers were voiced by celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 100September 24, 2019 6:10 AM

Where is it streaming?

by Anonymousreply 101September 24, 2019 6:38 AM

netflix

by Anonymousreply 102September 24, 2019 6:59 AM

I’d love to have seen Bulldogs cock

by Anonymousreply 103September 24, 2019 10:00 AM

The Matchmaker is a classic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104September 24, 2019 10:24 AM

The Nanny G episode with Laurie Metcalf had me roaring with laughter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105September 24, 2019 10:26 AM

R95, look at the sweaters they wore on the show. They may have been one of a kind. They may have been custom made. But they were machine woven and not hand knit.

You just have to look.

by Anonymousreply 106September 24, 2019 10:57 AM

[quote]I never understood the Emmy's lack of appreciation for Peri Gilpin

Looks like she's had a lot of work done. It's changed her appearance totally. I'm still not sure it's her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107September 24, 2019 11:09 AM

I think Peri Gilpin has just put on weight, R107. R100-this thread inspired me to go back and rewatch episodes. As soon as I saw that Patti Lupone and Joe Montagne were the callers in the early episodes, I said, "Wait a minute-the callers were celebrities!?" I never knew that was part of the gag. Now I can recognize the voices. Back then, I was just a kid. The list is really impressive. Imdb breaks it down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108September 24, 2019 11:22 AM

Laurie Metcalf as Nanny G was good but she was no match for the character's original appearance on Cheers, played by Emma Thompson. I believe Emma won an Emmy for this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109September 24, 2019 12:22 PM

Patti Lupone also played Frasier's Greek aunt who blackballed the entire Crane family from family functions, because once upon a time Frasier gave his cousin, her son, "bad" career advice. Of course, they meet again at a time when said cousin is at an important crossroads again and you can guess how that works out for the Crane family. LOL

I love those episodes where they go for broad humor or go full on farce (like the ski lodge episode).

by Anonymousreply 110September 24, 2019 12:23 PM

I think of all the celebrity callers I was only able to identify two by voice. John Lithgow and Gary Sinese have quite distinct voices. Otherwise the male callers just sounded like men and the females like women.

by Anonymousreply 111September 24, 2019 12:33 PM

R111-Joe Montagne is pretty distinctive too.

by Anonymousreply 112September 24, 2019 1:23 PM

What is this streaming on?

by Anonymousreply 113September 24, 2019 3:41 PM

Netflix, R113.

by Anonymousreply 114September 24, 2019 5:39 PM

Lauri Metcalf's Nanny G had probably the best line of the series

Nanny G to Frasier: But nothing ever changes! Do you have you any idea what it's like to play the same character for twenty years?

by Anonymousreply 115September 29, 2019 7:04 PM

Sorry ... Do you have any idea what it's like to play the same character for twenty years?

by Anonymousreply 116September 29, 2019 7:06 PM

I loved Jean Smart.

Lana on the phone with her kids: NO, YOU CAN'T HAVE A PARTY! PUT YOUR BROTHER, PUT YOUR BROTHER ON THE PHHHOOONNE NOOOW!!!! while obnoxiously smoking in Frasier's room and slugging last night's wine.

by Anonymousreply 117September 29, 2019 7:30 PM

Reba McEntire was also a caller in the 94 season.

by Anonymousreply 118October 1, 2019 6:35 PM

Jean Smart, whom I never really thought was much of anything, astonished me with her amazing performance on Frasier -- she actually is a terrific actress and not just some Designing Women broad.

by Anonymousreply 119October 1, 2019 8:14 PM

Remember when Frasier had had it with Gil, and called him an old queen? Gil's retort: Ooh, kitty has claws!

by Anonymousreply 120October 1, 2019 8:37 PM

I think Jean Smart was the best "guest star" of the series.

You had to be really good on this or you looked really bad. I remember more of the bad ones than the good ones.

The little guy who worked at the radio station was pitiful and I could hardly understand a word he said. Daphne didn't have a funny bone in her body. The (DL fave) Dad was just depressing - maybe he was a just a sad old closet queen, if you believe that he was actually gay in real life.

The gay episodes were the best. The one with that Star Trek actor, especially.

by Anonymousreply 121October 2, 2019 1:35 PM

I only just started watching because it's steaming on an app here. Love it! What a charming cast. With the exception of Daphne.

by Anonymousreply 122October 25, 2019 5:08 PM

Daphne was wonderful in the beginning of the series. And the Niles/Daphne on-again/off-again relationship is a huge chunk of the show's popularity. The trouble is they didn't know what to do with her when they finally got together. Instead of showing how opposite they were in a comic vein, they just settled on making her a nagging bitch.

by Anonymousreply 123October 26, 2019 12:42 AM

r15 Washers and dryers belong in the basement; much electrosmog in the apartment isn't good either. r16 So tiring such memes, only primitive simpletons should have straight relationships according to dl; there are about 10 celebs who were established as gay, and of course with them it is always totally clear on dl that they can't portray straight feelings and characters, and it's clear that they never had straight feelings in real life. Dl always yakking about the closet, but then always that meme.

by Anonymousreply 124October 26, 2019 12:58 AM

[quote] Daphne was wonderful in the beginning of the series.

To be fair, spending years with the Crane family would wear down anybody

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125October 26, 2019 12:58 AM

Daphne and Niles both changed once they got together.

You'll notice that after they got together, Niles always sits with his legs wide apart, whereas, before he used to sit in a manner to make him as small as possible.

I thought this was an obvious choice for the actor to express his new found self confidence.

by Anonymousreply 126October 26, 2019 1:00 AM

I didn't care for Jean Smart's loudmouth character. Waaay too brassy for Frasier.

by Anonymousreply 127October 26, 2019 7:18 AM

R121 calls the great Patrick Stewart "that Star Trek actor." Philistine.

by Anonymousreply 128October 26, 2019 7:29 AM

R126, I think you mean "for the character Niles to express...." DHP the actor surely had plenty of confidence in his abilities.

by Anonymousreply 129October 26, 2019 7:31 AM

^ yes.

by Anonymousreply 130October 26, 2019 4:48 PM

[quote]I didn't care for Jean Smart's loudmouth character. Waaay too brassy for Frasier.

That was the point. Frasier had had a crush on the "popular" girl in HS and finally gets to date her and she turns out to be a crass, chaing-smoking, hard-drinking ballbuster. Her son, Kirby, was a sly nod to Grammar's animated character of Side Show Bob. Hint...it's the hair.

by Anonymousreply 131October 26, 2019 6:13 PM

Jean Smart KILLED in season 2 of FARGO, as the matriarch of a very nasty family....she was astonishingly good.

by Anonymousreply 132October 26, 2019 7:56 PM

r131, I got it the first time. I simply didn't like the volume.

by Anonymousreply 133October 30, 2019 10:32 PM

It's still a little hard for me to believe that someone who looked like Frasier would get as much action as he did but that's best chalked up to artistic license.

by Anonymousreply 134November 18, 2019 4:04 PM

r134, imo it's not that hard to imagine that Frasier is a good catch for women with daddy issues, gold diggers, fame whores (he was a local celebrity after all), women who look for financial security, etc.

by Anonymousreply 135November 18, 2019 4:12 PM

Kelsey Grammer wasn’t ugly. He’s bald and not pretty, but came across as very “male”.

by Anonymousreply 136December 12, 2019 7:04 AM

I am Niles Crane!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137December 12, 2019 8:30 AM

I remember when Roz was put in charge of the station, and complained about a horrible employee. Frasier asked her why she didn't fire her. Roz said "I can't. She's like 3 minorities rolled up in one".

by Anonymousreply 138December 13, 2019 2:15 AM

Just watched the Halloween party episode where Grammer had his then-GF Camille appear as Lady Godiva. Wow, she was not attractive at all. She must have given incredible head. She had several lines at different times and was unconvincing with all of them.

by Anonymousreply 139December 13, 2019 1:44 PM

I have a latent crush on John Mahoney. Very charming and handsome silver gay.

by Anonymousreply 140December 16, 2019 6:28 PM

What will Frasier do in the new run? Run a podcast? Run a ... bar?????

by Anonymousreply 141December 16, 2019 6:31 PM

How about a scenario where the formerly sophisticated, urbane, and thoughtful Frasier becomes crankier and more paranoid as he ages? Those "teaching moments" when Frasier got his comeuppance and became reflective and contrite will be replaced with a bitter, angry, old man who becomes more polarized and seeks comfort in the arms of you know who: Trump supporters.

An incredible fight for Frasier's soul commences as his former love, the Laura Linney match-maker Frasier fell in love with and moved to Chicago for became estranged from him after he turned past middle age into semi-dotage and became increasingly testy, difficult and, at times, violent when he would hurl sherry decanters at her head cursing during minor disagreements about seating at dinner.

It became worse when her job required attention to a Democratic candidate in Illinois and "Fraish" became a seething pile of "I shall not be denied" and launched himself into a quite different radio character, no longer understanding and concerned, but more aligned with an Alex Jones-like character from "InfoWars." Laura Linney's character, who still loves Frasier, enlists Niles and Daphne to try to shake/help Frasier out of his dementia-related "issues" (polite talk for delusions) as right wing media increasingly seeks Frasier out for promotional spots for a "Chik-a-filet" (sp?) type restaurant, where he becomes entangled in a hilarious version of the Dr. Joyce Brothers "peanut head" episode on Frasier, except Frasier becomes entangled in a rooster head that will just not dislodge. In a fit of "the underlings didn't treat me the deference I deserve by producing an escape pod for my chicken head" he raged "I WILL DESTROY THE TECHNICIANS, GRIPS, PRODUCERS OR ANYONE WHO STANDS IN MY WAY."

In other words, Trump became a modern version of a deplorable Scarlett O'Hara. If the dramatics fit...

by Anonymousreply 142December 16, 2019 10:02 PM

So I managed to screw it up. It should read: In other words, "Frasier Crane" became a modern version of a deplorable Scarlett O'Hara? He wasn't starving physically, but he was an emotional vortex.

by Anonymousreply 143December 16, 2019 10:09 PM

Perfect comedy series with perfect cast and writers

by Anonymousreply 144December 16, 2019 10:10 PM

I hate how Daphne’s wardrobe followed the trends. By season 3 she had The Rachel.

by Anonymousreply 145December 17, 2019 10:38 AM

Jose

Humble Brewers - Glass Alley - Felicity

The beauty of this show is that none of the leads are awful and everyone is included. Artsy or academic people have Frasier and Niles. Optimists have Niles and Daphne, cynics have Martin and Frasier and people in the middle have Roz. Plus Roz isn’t shamed about her sexuality. Salt of the earth, blue collar people have Martin. The brothers are rivals but each other’s other halves. Martin is their opposite but they love each other. They give each other shit but never judge each other on the important stuff. Plus the flaws of all of them are on show and punctured.

My favourite episode is when Martin buys the painting of the bull fighter and Frasier breaks his heart when he finally admits he doesn’t like it. Martin cries, and Frasier cries, and Niles because they’re crying. It was one of Kelsey Grammer’s best moments when because it was both funny and showed how desperately he wanted his father’s love.

by Anonymousreply 146December 17, 2019 2:44 PM

[quote] The beauty of this show is that none of the leads are awful and everyone is included.

The brothers were high almighty snobs. In one of the early episodes they want to spend time with their dad and he takes them to his favorite restaurant and while they eat they make fun of the establishment until Martin has enough and makes a scene by telling his sons off in front of everybody and then leaves. Sure, they crave their dad's approval and respect and yet resent him for being so common with common tastes.

by Anonymousreply 147December 17, 2019 3:01 PM

The brothers' relationship with their father evolved over time. In the first few episodes, they barely have a relationship. It's obvious that the mother was the glue that held the family together. Once she's dead, they have drifted apart. But over the course of the coming years, they grow to understand each other better and the love becomes more evident.

by Anonymousreply 148December 17, 2019 3:17 PM

I loved the show until Niles married Daphne. They could have left his lust for her out of the show.

by Anonymousreply 149December 17, 2019 3:33 PM

R147 Martin was a snob in the other direction, he considered his sons ridiculous (which they were) and mocked them frequently.

They all wore who they were on their sleeves.

by Anonymousreply 150December 17, 2019 4:16 PM

"I've always wanted to be a ballerina as a kid."

"So did my Maris! But she could never get her weight up."

by Anonymousreply 151December 18, 2019 2:08 AM

Frasier Grinch from season 3 is one of my fave Christmas episodes from any show. When Martin gives Frasier the Outlaw Laser Robo Geek, awww.

by Anonymousreply 152December 22, 2019 2:38 PM

[quote]I loved the episode where Niles slept with Lilith after her husband leaves her. Niles was really the best part of that show.

Niles has narcolepsy in this episode and falls asleep on the toilet with his face in a plate of Eggs Benedict.

"This sort of thing happens every day. In Arkansas!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153December 22, 2019 2:43 PM

I love the one where Daphne old boyfriend comes by and every has to pretend to be someone they're not. When Martin hears, he tells the boyfriend he's an astronaut.

by Anonymousreply 154December 22, 2019 3:41 PM

Loved the episode where Niles tried to get over Maris and gets himself a dog. And the dog is this prissy, tiny, fragile creature with all the attitude that is associated with Maris. It's so hilarious to watch that the dog doesn't show any affection for him or anyone either.

by Anonymousreply 155December 23, 2019 3:11 PM

Bebe was my favorite guest.

by Anonymousreply 156December 23, 2019 4:02 PM

All I want to do is watch that incredible speech Bebe gave about smoking.

She was the best. And I love that they named her after Bebe Neuwirth.

by Anonymousreply 157December 23, 2019 4:07 PM

R157 enjoy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158December 23, 2019 4:09 PM

Thank you R 158

by Anonymousreply 159December 23, 2019 4:26 PM

That's the best episode of the lot, R157. Perfectly constructed and witty as hell at every moment (culminating in Roz's "Do I have to answer that?" ) in the last scene.

by Anonymousreply 160December 23, 2019 8:18 PM

The one where Niles is subconsciously trying to kill Martin is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 161December 23, 2019 8:56 PM

Probably the best-written of all American sitcoms. I’ve watched through the entire series 6 or 7 times at this point, and it never loses its ability to charm.

by Anonymousreply 162April 19, 2020 4:38 AM

Caught episode where Frasier's new boss thinks he's gay a few weeks ago. Laughed by behind off! Still gold after all these years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163April 19, 2020 4:45 AM

"The Doctor is Out."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164April 19, 2020 4:51 AM

Eric Lutes was HOT, r163!

by Anonymousreply 165April 19, 2020 4:59 AM

R165

Eric Lutes still is attractive in a "hot daddy" sort of way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166April 19, 2020 5:05 AM

Younger days....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167April 19, 2020 5:06 AM

I like the one where the dad doesn’t have anything in common with his sons, and they become exasperated by his behavior. I think there might be a phallic-shaped sculpture in the background.

by Anonymousreply 168April 19, 2020 5:41 AM

I still remember Roz's response to the station manager when he asked about Frasier, thinking the two of them had a date. "His favorite wine is Chardonnay!" Wrong on so many levels!

by Anonymousreply 169April 19, 2020 2:47 PM

The Christmas episode where the Cranes has to pretend to be Jewish to impress Amy Brenneman’s mother and Niles takes the opportunity to insert as many Yiddish phrases as possible into conversation and later wanders into the apartment dressed as Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 170July 26, 2020 7:11 PM

It was such a shitty show and overrated.

by Anonymousreply 171July 26, 2020 7:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!