Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Speaker John Bercow: I’ll stop Boris Johnson breaking the law on Brexit

[quote]John Bercow has threatened Boris Johnson that he will be prepared to rip up the parliamentary rulebook to stop any illegal attempt by the prime minister to take the UK out of the EU without a deal on 31 October. In a direct warning to No 10, the Speaker of the House of Commons said he is prepared to allow “additional procedural creativity” if necessary to allow parliament to block Johnson from ignoring the law.

[quote]He also proposed a written constitution to stop “executive malpractice or fiat”, which could potentially have avoided the constitutional crisis that the UK has found itself in over Brexit.

Okay, but how is that written constitution working out for the US right now, eh? 😂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 17, 2019 12:58 AM

Meanwhile in Scotland, parliamentarians have asked Scotland's top court to use its unique power, known as [italic]nobile officium,[/italic] to send a letter to the EU asking for an extension on UK's behalf should Johnson fail to do so. I love seeing the fucker getting reamed from all sides.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 12, 2019 9:58 PM

[quote] Okay, but how is that written constitution working out for the US right now, eh? 😂

If you knew anything about it, then you would know that it's actually working exactly as it was designed to work under the circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 2September 12, 2019 10:03 PM

Heh, I added that sentence just to trigger the constitutional fetishists and it worked like a charm. 😘

by Anonymousreply 3September 12, 2019 10:09 PM

I'm no authoritarian on Brexit, but I love this guy.

by Anonymousreply 4September 12, 2019 10:17 PM

AW-DUH!

AW-DUH!

Aw-DAHHHH!

by Anonymousreply 5September 12, 2019 10:20 PM

[quote]Heh, I added that sentence just to trigger the constitutional fetishists and it worked like a charm. 😘

I am familiar with the U.S. constitution and understand how it works, so I responded to your nonsense post. How does that make me a fetishist?

You're a real idiot, OP. Which is why this thread will go exactly nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 6September 12, 2019 10:32 PM

Why, R4? Because he behave like a prissy queen who seems to be the apprehension that parliament is his toy.

Bercow looks and behaves like Anthony Newley at his worst!

by Anonymousreply 7September 12, 2019 10:33 PM

I guess I love him for the same reason that I love the Parliamentary process. I find it absolutely fascinating that politicians are so passionate and outspoken.

by Anonymousreply 8September 12, 2019 10:48 PM

Johnson is just another half-wit who has become emboldened by Trump's shenanigans. The world is chock-a-block with lunatic leaders now. Trump, Putin, Netanyahu, those idiots in Brazil, Venezuela, and the Philippines, and others.

by Anonymousreply 9September 12, 2019 10:54 PM

He's very Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 10September 12, 2019 10:55 PM

There's little point denying Bercow is obviously an unpleasant person - judged by his history, his ego, the bullying allegations, etc. But the same can be said about the current Cabinet. And at least Bercow is standing up for Parliament, as a speaker should, though I certainly won't miss him come November.

I'm really hoping his successor is a real moderniser - use the refurbishment of the Palace to introduce a hemicycle, electronic voting and so on, and genuinely try to end the Punch and Judy politics.

by Anonymousreply 11September 12, 2019 10:57 PM

R11 What is a hemicycle?

by Anonymousreply 12September 12, 2019 11:03 PM

For R12

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 12, 2019 11:05 PM

R11 The Palace of Westminster is an historic, aesthetic building.

It will NOT be smashed about to accommodate a horseshoe-shaped chamber.

by Anonymousreply 14September 12, 2019 11:10 PM

R14 Except most of the Commons chamber was rebuilt after World War 2, so it really isn't all that historic at all.

by Anonymousreply 15September 12, 2019 11:11 PM

The chamber was rebuilt as a perfect facsimile of Pugin's drawings.

Only a Corbynite would suggest otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 16September 12, 2019 11:13 PM

Why hasn't Bercow retired?

He looks and behaves like a self-important drunkard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 12, 2019 11:16 PM

R16 It's meant to be a legislature, not a museum. They can easily retain the decorative features in an adapted chamber, especially given they're going to need to gut the post-war section anyway to remove asbestos.

by Anonymousreply 18September 12, 2019 11:18 PM

Bercow went off his medication years ago with that slutty wife of his. Why has he been allowed to stay?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 12, 2019 11:26 PM

The could just make The Palace of Westminster a tourist attraction and build a new parliament building elsewhere that is fit for purpose.

In terms of UK history none of the parts that are used by politicians are particularly old (about 150 years), there are a couple of older working gaols around the country.

by Anonymousreply 20September 12, 2019 11:27 PM

Jeremy Corbyn wants to modernise the Palace of Westminster so it looks like this—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 12, 2019 11:30 PM

Imagine trying to suggest Bercow is off his meds whilst your own posts rather suggest you're posting from Broadmoor.

by Anonymousreply 22September 12, 2019 11:31 PM

Most of the MP's work at Portcullis House, it was opened in 2001.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 12, 2019 11:37 PM

R20 I agree, in fact I don't even think there's a need to build a new building. Kick the Treasury out of 1 Horse Guards. That central area used as a car park could house a modern chamber, plenty of offices and meeting rooms and the like, and it neighbours the existing northern part of the parliamentary estate. A tunnel under Whitehall (assuming one doesn't already exist) and everything's fully connected.

by Anonymousreply 24September 12, 2019 11:39 PM

R23 So ugly. Why does it need those giant chimneys?

by Anonymousreply 25September 13, 2019 1:49 AM

I agree. Portcullis House is one of the most oppressive, ugly structures I've ever seen. It's even worse than Pompidou Center in Paris.

by Anonymousreply 26September 13, 2019 9:34 AM

All those "smokestacks" on Portcullis House probably emit white or black smoke every time one of the members of Parliament tells the truth or a lie. I doubt people see much white smoke.

by Anonymousreply 27September 13, 2019 10:02 AM

The chimneys are part of the ventilation system and to provide passive cooling.

by Anonymousreply 28September 13, 2019 5:55 PM

R28, well they are ugly. Especially when it's next door to one of the most photographed buildings in the world.

by Anonymousreply 29September 13, 2019 7:32 PM

I love John Bercow - smart, articulate, passionate, and a strong supporter of gay rights. I'm very sad he's decided to step down.

by Anonymousreply 30September 13, 2019 8:42 PM

The consistently great John Crace pretty much sums up my feelings on Bercow

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 13, 2019 8:48 PM

Bercow is a revolting narcissist who belongs on the stage

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 13, 2019 9:00 PM

Me too, R30. HCFMH.

by Anonymousreply 33September 13, 2019 9:12 PM

R33 Are you passive?

by Anonymousreply 34September 13, 2019 9:14 PM

This piece of shit...

[quote]Boris Johnson will tell the outgoing European commission president, Jean-Claude Juncker, on Monday that he will defy a new act of parliament and refuse to discuss or accept any offer to extend the UK’s membership even if a Brexit deal cannot be agreed, Downing Street said last night.

Do you what you have to do, Bercow!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 15, 2019 10:18 AM

Oh my!

by Anonymousreply 36September 15, 2019 12:23 PM

Short version, please.

Why would Boris want to leave the EU without a deal?

Is he on the take?

by Anonymousreply 37September 15, 2019 3:25 PM

[quote]Is he on the take?

Yes, in that he and his rich cronies are betting on No Deal Brexit and the pound tanking as a result. It's vulture capitalism at its finest and a bit like what Trump is doing when he announces additional tariffs on China and then changes his mind the next day. Someone pockets a huge profit form those fluctuations. They also screamed to high heaven when the new EU directive on tax avoidance came into effect.

He probably thinks he can get some money under the table during the UK-US trade deal negotiations as well. Plus the latest polls showing Conservatives having a big lead doesn't help the matters either. Sheep voting to be on the dinner table, you can't make it up.

by Anonymousreply 38September 15, 2019 3:31 PM

THANKS, R38!

by Anonymousreply 39September 15, 2019 3:50 PM

All you British people are obsessing like mad dogs on Boris Johnson and Theresa May but have nothing to say on Junckers and all the powerful men in Belgium.

by Anonymousreply 40September 15, 2019 11:17 PM

Because they haven't behaved in a hysterical and unreasonable fashion unlike our own Prime Minister's

by Anonymousreply 41September 15, 2019 11:53 PM

^. You wouldn't say that if your were a Belgian hotel maid serving drinks at 2am.

by Anonymousreply 42September 16, 2019 12:00 AM

If you have anything to back that up, do link to it. If for no other reason than to explain why a maid would be serving drinks.

by Anonymousreply 43September 16, 2019 12:23 AM

The Whinging Poms like to whinge.

by Anonymousreply 44September 16, 2019 12:28 AM

I met and saw Bercow speak in Cambridge tonight. Different system, I get it (in the US, the Speaker of the House is a political leader, in the UK he's more like an umpire although Bercow has been accused of being a player) but we could use more politicians in the US like him.

He's an incredible speaker, passionate, smart as hell, and amazing - the first question from a student in the audience was about the recent report on parliamentary bullying and his alleged bullying of staff members - because with a question like that, Trump would have wet his pants before the questioner finished. Bercow defended himself ably, I thought, by emphatically denying he'd ever bullied anyone. He may well have been lying, but if he was, he's a damn good liar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 17, 2019 12:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!