Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The key to understanding a major pillar of Trump's support: high income white people without college degrees

This is key to understanding the Republican demographic.

Trump's main pillar of support is high-income whites, but those who don't have a college degree. These are the ones most motivated by the feeling of of racial resentment and cultural displacement.

"Perhaps most significant, Kitschelt and Rehm found that the common assumption that the contemporary Republican Party has become crucially dependent on the white working class — defined as whites without college degrees — is overly simplistic.

Instead, Kitschelt and Rehm find that the surge of whites into the Republican Party has been led by whites with relatively high incomes — in the top two quintiles of the income distribution — but without college degrees, a constituency that is now decisively committed to the Republican Party."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 12, 2019 6:38 PM

That's understandable. They feel that they had to work hard for what they have and Dems are giving their money away to those who don't: welfare recipients, illegal immigrants, etc. They resent others getting something for free, with no responsibility or requirements. Then, they are labeled redneck racists by liberals. Of course they would flock to hate mongers.

by Anonymousreply 1September 12, 2019 12:55 PM

No college education = high levels of stupidity

by Anonymousreply 2September 12, 2019 12:58 PM

This isn't new information. That is exactly why pollsters separate white people by those with a college degree and those without, rather than separating it out by income.

Education is the key variable in predicting support for Trump. Here is a 538 piece on that from three years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 12, 2019 1:01 PM

But this is saying something slightly different R3.

This is saying that [bold]high income[/bold] whites with no education are the key. Not the fact that they don't have a college education.

by Anonymousreply 4September 12, 2019 1:03 PM

I'm glad you have a subscription to the NY Times, Nomad, but we don't need multiple links a day to their site.

by Anonymousreply 5September 12, 2019 1:03 PM

Hey R5, Have you never heard of private/incognito browser windows, or just typing the headline into Google, or are you just going to be a whiny, helpless bitch?

by Anonymousreply 6September 12, 2019 1:08 PM

And to add to R1's comments, high-earning white people without a college degree may be more likely to feel threatened by the perceived threat of competition from "immigrants". Without a degree or some kind of advanced training certification, they may feel that their jobs would be at risk, hence their support of someone who will protect them from "those" people. If you have a degree or have a certified skill, you hardly have anything to worry about from an immigrant for whom English is a (shaky) second language.

by Anonymousreply 7September 12, 2019 1:12 PM

This makes perfect sense. I live on Staten Island, which is the only Republican stronghold in NYC. Many people I know lead comfortable middle class lives as public servants (FDNY, sanitation, etc..) and they love Trump. Many of them also barely graduated high school and are the most ignorant people you’ll ever meet. They are fearful of anyone who doesn’t look or talk like them. For years when Obama was president the main gripe they always expressed was how Obama wanted to give black people everything for free (they used a much different term than “black people”). Any time some crime in the community was perpetrated by a person of color, they’d inevitably respond “oh I’m sure Obama will get them off”. They delight in knowing that Trump is as stupid as they are. They delight in every stupid thing he says and does. They consume nothing but FOX News and Breitbart. Nothing will ever change these people. Nothing.

by Anonymousreply 8September 12, 2019 1:12 PM

You misunderstood me, R6. I can get to NYT articles just fine. Nomad, however, spams us every morning with articles from NYT and other major news outlets and maybe, after years of this, enough is enough.

Weird how hostile and defensive you got over a nothing comment like mine, though. You start every morning like this? Try decaf.

by Anonymousreply 9September 12, 2019 1:17 PM

Ah, you ARE Nomad, R5. You're also the guy in the "apathetic voters" thread who is falsely claiming that a majority of Americans hate all Democratic policies and that's why Trump will win in 2020.

I thought you were just some freakish basement dweller who thought posting news articles every morning was his civic duty or something, but now I see that you're a troll, so fuck you. Hope you choke on a Chick-fil-a pickle, a.k.a. the closest thing to cock you'll ever get.

by Anonymousreply 10September 12, 2019 1:21 PM

Sorry, R10 was for Nomad at R6.

by Anonymousreply 11September 12, 2019 1:22 PM

Don't you just love when a totally ridiculous DL thread descends into even greater ridiculousness in less than 20 posts?

by Anonymousreply 12September 12, 2019 1:27 PM

It’s a subroutine of a bitchy couple and I swear they do it monthly, r12.

by Anonymousreply 13September 12, 2019 1:29 PM

The key to this fallacy is that college-educated whites voted for him in droves, but distanced themselves from publicly supporting him when he got even nuttier after elected- instead of "more Presidential" like they hoped.

Issues like eradicating abortion and gay marriage, and keeping their investments nice 'n fluffy will motivate them to discreetly vote for him again.

by Anonymousreply 14September 12, 2019 1:31 PM

Do you think a properly utilized mooncup might be of assistance r13?

by Anonymousreply 15September 12, 2019 1:33 PM

Clinton won college educated whites (52%-43%), while whites without a college degree backed Trump 52%-44% r14.

by Anonymousreply 16September 12, 2019 1:33 PM

Nevermind, looks like I was looking at the data wrong. That was for all college graduates regardless of race.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 12, 2019 1:35 PM

Like Trump, these people are completely insecure about themselves. Most inherited their money/businesses, like Trump, yet like Trump, think they are the ones solely responsible for their position in life.

Born on third base and going through life thinking they hit a triple.

by Anonymousreply 18September 12, 2019 1:37 PM

Wrong group, R18. They are not the result of inherited money.

by Anonymousreply 19September 12, 2019 1:40 PM

high income white people without college degrees - sound like drug dealers or career criminals.

by Anonymousreply 20September 12, 2019 1:43 PM

Union factory workers, R20, or public servants like R8 above.

by Anonymousreply 21September 12, 2019 2:06 PM

I don't believe it. My BIL who is a Dr., My son who is VP of a financial firm and a friend that is a funeral director, all college educated, all with above average IQ's all supported Trump. The majority of people that support Trump are those that only look out for themselves or can just never have enough.

by Anonymousreply 22September 12, 2019 6:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!