Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It is clear that Trump is not mentally fit. Why do so many people keep ignoring that?

Conservative Peter Wehner:

"Even now, almost a thousand days into his presidency, the latest Trump outrage elicits shock and disbelief in people. The reaction is, “Can you believe he said that and did this?”

To which my response is, “Why are you surprised?” It’s a shock only if the assumption is that we’re dealing with a psychologically normal human being. We’re not. Trump is profoundly compromised, acting just as you would imagine a person with a disordered personality would. Many Americans haven’t yet come to terms with the fact that we elected as president a man who is deeply damaged, an emotional misfit. But it would be helpful if they did."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 19, 2019 4:47 AM

Because his supporters are just like him!

by Anonymousreply 1September 10, 2019 10:44 AM

It’s been three years. How many times are we going to ask the same questions? There’s been a sound reason to ask this question almost every day for three years—about 1,000 days. We keep running in place with this.

by Anonymousreply 2September 10, 2019 10:45 AM

I just listened to the Fresh Air interview with the guy who wrote the book about MK Ultra and one of the original plans for secretly dosing people was to humiliate enemy leaders by making them trip balls nonstop so everyone decided they were too fucking crazy to continue supporting.

by Anonymousreply 3September 10, 2019 10:48 AM

Because.

by Anonymousreply 4September 10, 2019 10:50 AM

R3 Trump has always been nuts.

by Anonymousreply 5September 10, 2019 11:13 AM

The "people" ignoring it are GOP Senators. GOP Senators are the only "people" who can do anything about him, i.e., remove him from office. And why are they ignoring it? Moscow Mitch McConnell. A deranged electorate, prodded by Russian misinformation, may have put Trump in, but Moscow Mitch is KEEPING him in. Putin has achieved perfect checkmate.

VOTE for whomever is put opposite Trump in 2020. If you don't, you're as much responsible for this aberration as those who pull the lever for him.

by Anonymousreply 6September 10, 2019 11:20 AM

[quote]To which my response is, “Why are you surprised?”

Because the media refuses to focus on a single thing for more than a couple of days without breaking to another new OMG I Can't Believe It news item, and people go along with it, without consciously realizing they're being manipulated. Now, over three years after Trump became nearly 100% of our media coverage, people are either exhausted and completely checking out (deleting all social media, forgoing all news, etc.) or addicted to their daily OMG moment.

Almost no one has matured beyond being shocked -- shocked, I tell you! -- at "learning" that Trump is a mentally disabled fascist grifter. The media wants it that way. The longer they can extend this period, the better for their ratings and ad clicks.

I wish more Americans would move past this but I fear most have to be lead by the nose. If you look back on Watergate, it took months and months of revelations before the people finally started giving a damn.

by Anonymousreply 7September 10, 2019 11:21 AM

R6 I’m a bit baffled by people who run around saying “VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!” so stridently to...people who will vote for anyone who opposes Trump, no matter what.

I work with a woman who is so fanatically and obsessively anti-Trump that it really does manifest like some kind of mental illness. She quakes and shakes and rages and lectures all of us all the time about why we need to vote in opposition to Trump. And my colleagues and I are all liberal/progressive and most certainly will, but there’s no benefit to this woman’s frenzied lectures. It freaks me out, really, because it shows how deeply this man’s psychological warfare is affecting people.

If you want to be effective at convincing anyone to vote against Trump, then invade conservative message boards. It does no good to preach to a choir who are there to pray to the same gods.

by Anonymousreply 8September 10, 2019 11:27 AM

Please don’t blame “the media” for Trump. That is such lazy thinking.

by Anonymousreply 9September 10, 2019 11:30 AM

R9, if you think DL is a place where you're talking to "to...people who will vote for anyone who opposes Trump, no matter what", or that I'm preaching to the choir, I have assume that you've just wakened from a coma that began in early 2015...or that you're just another concern troll.

Trump carries favor with a MINORITY in this country. He won in states that he shouldn't have. We know Russia is influencing the electoral process to some degree. In 2016 the only thing this influence needed to overcome was voter apathy, and that's just what it did. If we don't get good turnout against Trump, say hello to 4 more years of a supercharged lame duck rage narcissist who will take us all down with him.

by Anonymousreply 10September 10, 2019 11:48 AM

Sorry, ^^^ meant for R8.

R7 is blocked. Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 11September 10, 2019 11:49 AM

The GOP and his supporters will ignore his obvious mental decline as long as he is useful for getting them what they want.

by Anonymousreply 12September 10, 2019 11:51 AM

Which is just about up now.

by Anonymousreply 13September 10, 2019 11:53 AM

I just don’t see posting “he’s a crazy person!!” on a message board as a likely tactic for converting any of his fans. Call me crazy. Right after he was sworn in, he threatened to bomb North Korea with nukes. He fucks his daughter. His orders have resulted in an upsurge in proud Nazis and children killed by US government at the border. Saying “he’s crazy!” now is...well, if it makes you feel hopeful, go for it.

One thing that I am praying could make some kind of difference to some people is witnessing the conservatives in the UK actually taking a stand and putting their country over their party, at the loss of their positions. At least some Brits are standing up to tyranny, and that highlights how pathetic Trump-serving Republicans are. Maybe shame will convert one or two to the cause of decency.

by Anonymousreply 14September 10, 2019 11:58 AM

It's obvious we can't really do anything about him. But I would really like to know if there are some consequences and changes in the future. There must be some new rules to remove or prosecute a future president if he behaves like that. Trump is breaking laws, openly advertises his hotels, nepotism, corruption, intimidation, chaos and confusion plus several lies every day. No one probably thought a president could ever behave like that. We need some serious changes here.

by Anonymousreply 15September 10, 2019 12:09 PM

As much trouble as Trump is Mitch McConnell is more dangerous to our country.

by Anonymousreply 16September 10, 2019 12:13 PM

Not ONE Republican in the House has joined with the Democrats (Amash doesn't count since he's now an independent) in agreeing that Trump needs to be impeached. Not ONE.

Meanwhile, they couldn't wait to impeach Clinton over something that wasn't nearly a violation of office as ANYTHING that Trump has done.

Republicans, in both the House and the Senate, are traitors to our country.

by Anonymousreply 17September 10, 2019 12:18 PM

Alright he’s a Russian

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 10, 2019 2:10 PM

[quote] If you want to be effective at convincing anyone to vote against Trump, then invade conservative message boards. It does no good to preach to a choir who are there to pray to the same gods.

And talking to conservative Trump supporters is like talking to a brick wall. I think a part of the problem is that anti-Trumpers wouldn't shut up about how awful, orange, stupid, blah, blah, blah, Trump is. Like we don't know this already. Hell, even his supporters know it. The more you keep ranting, the more they dig their heels in.

by Anonymousreply 19September 10, 2019 2:30 PM

The few in power benefit from his chaos creating shenanigans. And they finally flex their muscles to show us who is in charge. And the people are too afraid to revolt, because that means actually doing something.

by Anonymousreply 20September 10, 2019 2:38 PM

He is absolutely mentally ill and incompetent. Any one of the staggering amount of insane, illegal, immoral, stupid and reckless things he's done would have been enough to end the presidency of anyone else. How his completely unqualified children have been given senior positions/security clearance should be a national disgrace. He has been the worst president of all time, made the US a laughing stock to the rest of the sane world, and probably done more than anyone else to make the country he claims to love worse.

Yet he continues. Because he's a puppet. The real people in charge and pulling the strings benefit from it...so they allow it to continue and do nothing to stop it, even though it ends lives and makes the world a worse place. They are evil, and only care about short term gain and money. Enabling this man should be considered an act of treason and all involved should be jailed for life. It won't happen though because this world is an unfair and fucked up place.

by Anonymousreply 21September 10, 2019 2:57 PM

R16, I have some ideas.

by Anonymousreply 22September 10, 2019 3:18 PM

The problem is that I've observed is that he appeals to angry, selfish narcissistic people like himself, so admitting they're wrong is the last thing they'll do. He could take a shit on their head and they'd thank him for it.

by Anonymousreply 23September 10, 2019 7:24 PM

yes he has been like this ever since taking office but it seems like it is getting progressively worse, if that is even possible. His refusal to back down when plainly wrong could wipe out the planet before his term is up.

by Anonymousreply 24September 10, 2019 11:00 PM

The remaining Trumptards are largely from Confederate States and are neo-fascists who put party over country. The non-mouff breavers are ideologues. Nothing will dislodge them from supporting their idol: Hair Furor. If you think back to Richard Nixon’s level of support (25%) when he was forced from office, it makes sense. There’s not a large (percentage)difference (38% this week for Trumputin). If Nixon had Faux News behind him back in the day, I’d bet he’d never have left office.

by Anonymousreply 25September 10, 2019 11:44 PM

Don't forget r25, Nixon also had level headed Republicans back in 1974 who finally told him he didn't have the votes to survive a House impeachment and a Senate conviction and he had to resign. There are NO Republicans today willing to do anything remotely like that.

Nixon was a lot of things, but stupid wasn't one of them, he knew he was finished then.

by Anonymousreply 26September 11, 2019 3:19 AM

This deserves a thread of its own but I’m not a subscriber so I’ll post it here. The information in the Twitter thread at link is astounding. Trump is rapidly deteriorating and his handlers tried to cover it up for far too long; now it’s too late to engineer a graceful exit, and he’s afraid/unwilling to step down anyway both because of his narcissistic ego and because he’s terrified of prosecution. The wheels are about to come off the wagon. The good news is that he won’t remain cognitively competent long enough to be re-elected in 2020.

Honestly, I have blocked Trump on Twitter and have only watched clips of him wherein he was said to have slurred his words, etc, on mute, so until I found this superthread cataloguing the rapid spiraling decline, I had no idea how obvious it is that Trump’s brain is dying.

The author of the threads speculates that Trump has a condition called PSP. All the symptoms appear to fit. His handlers are in so deep that they’re practically pulling a Weekend At Bernie’s scenario with the old dotard already. It’s morbidly fascinating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2019 2:09 PM

R6, we should be voting for the person running against tRump that actually stands a chance in beating him - this means do NOT throw away a vote to a 3rd party candidate. 2020 will NOT be the year for that. 3rd party candidates CAN change the outcome of an election - and NOT in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2019 2:31 PM

Navigating through the Russian doll-like Twitter threads nested within threads from the link I posted at r27 is difficult rven if you’re used to the Twitter format. So I may post links to individual tweets or some of the shorter threads. Check out these video clips of Trump from 2015 and 2019. It’s jaw-dropping how much he’s deteriorated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2019 10:36 PM

Thanks to both R27 and R29, I also keep Trump blocked and hadn't seen most of that.

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2019 1:09 PM

R29 that’s sort of a little bit tricky just like the shit Repugs do, you need to compare rally to rally. He always acts like he’s on a tranquilizer for official statements.

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2019 5:40 PM

[quote] The more you keep ranting, the more they dig their heels in.

This

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2019 6:27 PM

Because unfortunately in this country people with below average IQs, and the clinically insane are still allowed to vote.

by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2019 7:42 PM

Don't give him the easy out of mental illness. His disorder is more intrinsic and permanent than that. He's a narcissist and an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2019 8:28 PM

I want the narrative pushed that they’re coming for Ivanka to do jail time, that’ll really make him unravel.

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2019 9:05 PM

[quote]Nancy Pelosi recently had ominous words about Trump's family holding an “intervention” & “fearing for his well being.” These words were echoed yesterday by Pete Buttigieg when he said “I’m really worried about the…I feel sorry for the President.” Why did Buttigieg say that?

[quote]Why would Buttigieg feel sorry for Trump? A racist, Russian asset, money laundering, self described sex assaulter? Why would Buttigieg hesitate, kind of like he knew something & was looking for the right words. Seems like he’s getting ahead of the story. (9/6/19)

(r27 here again, posting more of the clips and quotes from the super thread by @TomJChicago)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 19, 2019 3:58 AM

[quote]The problem is that I've observed is that he appeals to angry, selfish narcissistic people like himself, so admitting they're wrong is the last thing they'll do. He could take a shit on their head and they'd thank him for it.

Yup.

And Trump said it himself several years ago during the GOP primaries -- "I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot someone and they will still support me". And he was right. He correctly predicted that the hardcore deplorables would stay with him, and they have.

by Anonymousreply 37September 19, 2019 4:13 AM

trump compensates for balance loss now: -walks w/ his hands down like he's walking across a creek on a fallen tree -wide stance -forward lean -outer inner foot shuffle to get balanced -clutching the podium hard or using his gut for balance -sitting at his desk while ppl stand

theory: trump is most likely wearing a brace to keep himself upright in situations where he has to walk around. His involuntary motion where he pitches his torso up and back would especially need containment to keep him from falling backwards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 19, 2019 4:45 AM

[quote]Trump's dementia balance issue is serious. He normally can use his arms to balance his walk - the umbrella prevented it here. Note his inability to walk straight, legs cross over each other, right leg juts w/ handshake. This accelerates rapidly. At 28 min (11/13/18)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 19, 2019 4:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!