Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

When will the leggings trend end?

I work on a college campus in the northeast. Every year, I think the leggings/yoga pants trend will end, and every year, I'm proven wrong. Summer, winter, it doesn't matter. 7/10 women between 18 and 23 wear leggings.

How much longer can this continue? Are leggings the jeans of the 21st century?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131October 14, 2019 8:17 PM

I can't be friends with anyone who wears leggings outside the house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 8, 2019 10:01 AM

Casual clothes and athleisure seems to be here for the long haul. They tried to to push a retro "Mad Men" style 10 years ago with Roland Mouret and Victoria and but it largely appealed to greaser and rockabilly subcultures. Women aren't prepared to wear waspies and hose.

by Anonymousreply 2September 8, 2019 10:01 AM

"Fashion" has deemed leggings over for years but they remain popular. Go anywear on the weekend and Frauen are there in their sneakers and leggings and polar fleece.

I think they are really happy that "casual" is in and are taking full advantage.

by Anonymousreply 3September 8, 2019 10:09 AM

I ignore women.

I look away and the problem is solved.

by Anonymousreply 4September 8, 2019 10:15 AM

Ughh, leggings. Some of these Biggie Frues I see I’m athletic wear need to try wearing it to the fucking gym.

by Anonymousreply 5September 8, 2019 10:24 AM

Why does it bother you op? Are you a frau?

by Anonymousreply 6September 8, 2019 10:30 AM

No, r6.

They look terrible and déclassé.

by Anonymousreply 7September 8, 2019 10:34 AM

Somehow athleisure wear makes people look douchey. Whenever I see someone in skinny jeans/yoga pants and sneakers with bare-ankles, I assume he or she is a major, coked-up jerk.

by Anonymousreply 8September 8, 2019 10:43 AM

R6 Fraus are the ones I see wearing leggings!

by Anonymousreply 9September 8, 2019 10:44 AM

Leggings and other casual wear will go out of style when the general population becomes thin again. The reason most people dress down for everything these days is that even slightly more formal clothing is restrictive and therefore uncomfortable for the 70% of the population that are now significantly overweight. If that situation ever sorts itself out, maybe people will go back to real clothing.

by Anonymousreply 10September 8, 2019 11:21 AM

[quote]Leggings and other casual wear will go out of style when the general population becomes thin again.

So ... never?

by Anonymousreply 11September 8, 2019 11:22 AM

Basically, R11.

by Anonymousreply 12September 8, 2019 11:28 AM

My two cents: leggings are cheap, easy to put on, and can be combined with tops that hide girth. In our obese, lazy culture these are pluses.

by Anonymousreply 13September 8, 2019 11:32 AM

It’s laziness. People want to jump straight out of bed onto the streets and vice versa without having to change.

by Anonymousreply 14September 8, 2019 12:45 PM

As long as there are fat women, there will be leggings.

by Anonymousreply 15September 8, 2019 12:50 PM

True RE fat women, but I see a million thin/average women in leggings too

by Anonymousreply 16September 8, 2019 12:58 PM

Never thought I'd live to see the day when jeans were too fancy and sweatpants and leggings would be the norm.

Now get off my lawn.

by Anonymousreply 17September 8, 2019 1:00 PM

Jeans are “dress-up” attire nowadays. Leggings are everyday wear.

by Anonymousreply 18September 8, 2019 1:04 PM

Around here a lot of teens and young-20s still wear them. At a farmstand where I go, the girls used to wear black jeans and green t's or sweatshirts with the name of the store. A few years ago, they switched to black leggings. It looked like they weren't wearing any pants (because they weren't). I saw a girl the other day in a t shirt that read, Leggings Are Pants.

by Anonymousreply 19September 8, 2019 1:08 PM

Leggings and crocs are the future of fashun !

by Anonymousreply 20September 8, 2019 1:16 PM

r20 = Honey Boo Boo

by Anonymousreply 21September 8, 2019 1:20 PM

You can see more camel toe in 5 minutes on the DC Metro, since nobody can be too fat for leggings, than in the whole of the Sahara Desert.

by Anonymousreply 22September 8, 2019 1:24 PM

I'm gay so I neither give a shit about nor do I have any business criticizing what women wear.

by Anonymousreply 23September 8, 2019 2:03 PM

[quote]I'm gay so I neither give a shit about nor do I have any business criticizing what women wear.

You must be new here.

by Anonymousreply 24September 8, 2019 2:12 PM

"I dress to be comfortable not to impress"

by Anonymousreply 25September 8, 2019 2:26 PM

I went to a funeral recently and some of the college-age girls were wearing leggings. Kids today don't understand what's appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 26September 8, 2019 5:20 PM

Leggings worn as regular daytime clothing are trashy and lower-class.

by Anonymousreply 27September 8, 2019 5:27 PM

Funny video about this topic...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 8, 2019 5:39 PM

I saying it HERE so I don't have to say it THERE and THERE.

Leggings are fine. Narrow trousers look nice. I love short shorts on men.

by Anonymousreply 29September 8, 2019 11:38 PM

Fall 1993 at Gap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 8, 2019 11:47 PM

R28 That video was filmed on the East Australia coast in a place called 'Coo-Gee'. Which supposedly is Australian native meaning "the smell of the seaweed drying".

You can pronounce it as Koogie or Coo-jee but it doesn't matter because genuine Australian natives don't spell or have a way to record sounds.

by Anonymousreply 31September 8, 2019 11:47 PM

The Leggings Shop in Expanded/Flagship Stores in Fall 1993 at Gap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 8, 2019 11:48 PM

Leggings were only $24.50 at Gap in Fall 1993!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 8, 2019 11:49 PM

What about with a tunic or long cardigan?

by Anonymousreply 34September 8, 2019 11:53 PM

[quote]leggings are cheap, easy to put on, and can be combined with tops that hide girth

You may think those tops are hiding girth, but they're not.

by Anonymousreply 35September 8, 2019 11:55 PM

Check out the Leggings portion of the Fall 1993 Gap Fashion Show! Starts at 6:00!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 8, 2019 11:56 PM

R28 “Work it like a sweatshop” was a good one.

by Anonymousreply 37September 9, 2019 12:02 AM

It must be boring. I always thought fashion was about having fun and expressing yourself but nobody seems to have a personal style anymore.

by Anonymousreply 38September 9, 2019 12:07 AM

There's so little variety anymore. Last winter, the streets of Chicago were teeming with clones, clad in Canada goose Jackets and sweatpants. It was like watching an army of idiots march through the streets.

by Anonymousreply 39September 9, 2019 12:18 AM

Leggings “ain’t pants” PSA three years ago, still going unheeded.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 9, 2019 12:35 AM

[quote] If that situation ever sorts itself out, maybe people will go back to real clothing.

This is why adderall needs to be made over the counter.

by Anonymousreply 41September 9, 2019 12:44 AM

I feel like I look like a slob when I wear leggings. I also think women should wear panty hose. I cannot imagine going bare-legged with a dress.

by Anonymousreply 42September 9, 2019 12:46 AM

[quote]I'm gay so I neither give a shit about nor do I have any business criticizing what women wear.

The male equivalent is "joggers" and it's equally low effort. I know it's shallow to judge others on their clothing but the world could like nicer if people made more of an effort. Clothing can be simple and easy to wear and still look nice. Maybe America could take inspiration from India's classic salwar churidar.

Speaking of shallow though, not gonna lie...I get a cheap little thrill from seeing guy's junk through their sweatpants. Do young men not know their stuff is on display or do they just not care? Maybe they're getting a little thrill too.

by Anonymousreply 43September 9, 2019 8:46 AM

[quote] The male equivalent is "joggers" and it's equally low effort. I know it's shallow to judge others on their clothing but the world could like nicer if people made more of an effort. Clothing can be simple and easy to wear and still look nice.

A while ago I had to have a little work done 'down there' I started realizing there are not a lot of comfortable pants for men now. I had to wear the joggers I had that most resembled pants (to work) and sweats, or athletic pants, elsewhere, for a while. I started to think about how my grandpa wore trousers, like you'd wear with a suit. Not tight at the waist (he wore suspenders, or a belt) and not tight in the crotch, or the leg. Usually lightweight material. He could put his wallet in his pocket and it wouldn't even show. Not that I like the look of baggy trousers (even well tailored ones), I really don't. But when that was the style at least men saw to it that they were comfortable.

Today you have jeans, slim cut pants, slim cut suits...but mostly jeans, or a variation, for casual 'dressy' wear. I can see why guys turn to sweats or legging-style athletic gear a lot of the time because the alternatives to comfortable clothes are more and more limited.

by Anonymousreply 44September 10, 2019 7:32 PM

The triumph of Laura Petrie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 10, 2019 7:43 PM

I also work for a large four year public university and those leggings-sportin' skanks are a dime a dozen. I was laughing my ass off when one of my female colleagues was bitching about how stinky the Admissions call center student workers are. She says it always smells like rotten pussy and a hangover in the ladies room they share. Not only are these kids too lazy to dress themselves properly, they apparently can't find the time to thoroughly clean their peaches. NASTy.

by Anonymousreply 46September 10, 2019 7:46 PM

Incel at r46

by Anonymousreply 47September 10, 2019 8:17 PM

[quote]You can pronounce it as Koogie or Coo-jee but it doesn't matter because genuine Australian natives don't spell or have a way to record sounds.

Coogie is pronounced KUH-jee.

by Anonymousreply 48September 10, 2019 11:31 PM

R48 Hello Woollarawarre Bennelong, can you translate the word 'Gadi" for us?

And can you pronounce it for us too?

by Anonymousreply 49September 10, 2019 11:40 PM

I can live with them wearing black leggings. I'm amazed and horrified by the white, beige, and pale pink leggings worn by enormous women who really should know better. Not worn under a tunic or short dress, but with waist-length tops so camel toe, crack, and every bulge and dimple are highlighted for the unfortunate beholder.

by Anonymousreply 50September 10, 2019 11:44 PM

R23, wrong. Women’s right to have their indecent exposure overlooked by me ends when the images of their camel toes and buttcracks assault my eye.

If the leggings are worn under a long t-shirt or sweater, one that fully covers the crotch and ass areas, then … whatever. They’re better than short-shorts or miniskirts, both of which have been worn by many women who shouldn’t be anywhere near them.

However, if the leggings are worn with a short top – often quite a revealing top – then I don’t care whether the woman is fat or thin, she is dressed inappropriately for being out in public. It’s obscene. Doubly infuriating is the knowledge that, if she catches a man looking at her clearly outlined crotch, she’ll probably screech like scalded cat that he’s “creepy”.

To be clear: I would feel the same way if men started wearing leggings with no underwear. I don’t care how big your dick is or how perfect your ass is, you shouldn’t be displaying them, with nothing left to the imagination, in public.

by Anonymousreply 51September 11, 2019 12:03 AM

They do it because they like how skinny their legs look. Regular pants make their legs fat.

by Anonymousreply 52September 11, 2019 12:08 AM

R45, if only. Laura Petrie wore tapered slacks, as they were called back then. They fit closely, but they were made of a woven fabric, not a knit. Therefore, they didn't cling. They looked fine on women with a trim figure. Women who were not thin generally avoided slacks because they were unbecoming.

Also, Laura never wore slacks away from home. (Real life Lauras might have worn them to the supermarket if they were rebellious types.) It was considered in bad taste or trashy for a woman to wear slacks in public, except in very casual settings. Most offices banned them, for example, Most nice restaurants would not seat a women in pants. (Or a man without a jacket and tie, for that matter.)

by Anonymousreply 53September 11, 2019 12:09 AM

Because women in their 30s still remember giant JNCOs and if you notice the youngest ones are into baggy ripped jeans which seem new and appealing to them. They don't remember JNCOs and carpenter pants and flares which copied 70s bellbottoms.

There is nothing new under the sun.

by Anonymousreply 54September 11, 2019 12:11 AM

R53 You talk with knowledge.

Most people wouldn't know the difference between woven fabric and knit fabric. I didn't.

by Anonymousreply 55September 11, 2019 12:22 AM

I don’t understand why anyone would want their cameltoe, butt crack, fat, balls, whatever exposed to the world. It seems to be connected to mental illness. I saw a woman in white leggings with a big brown stain on her rear. It was traumatic.

by Anonymousreply 56September 11, 2019 12:33 AM

Most jeans nowadays are made of stretch denim so there really isn't an argument that they wear leggings due to a comfort factor. They're just following along like the unthinking lemmings they are. That's a much bigger problem than the chunky thighs and fat rolls showing through.

by Anonymousreply 57September 11, 2019 12:34 AM

SNL, because sometimes their "fake" commercials are real.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58September 11, 2019 12:34 AM

Maybe it's just the ones I know, but I think leggings is a straight woman thing. I don't see tons of lesbians wearing them. Is it possible straight men like women wearing leggings and that's why young women who want to date men wear them all the time?

by Anonymousreply 59September 11, 2019 12:35 AM

I see women in leggings and those racerback (?) tank tops too damn often.

And those leggings are usually right up the crack of their ass.

by Anonymousreply 60September 11, 2019 1:23 AM

Does anyone else hate-read The Frugalwoods blog? This month, uber-frugal frau Mrs. FW wrote an overly lengthy treatise on how all her thrift store clothes were stained and pilled and too small so she broke her 'no spending, on clothes, ever' rule and went shopping for leggings and forgiving tops. Body Dysmophoria, solved!

Plus, she threw out all her old offending clothes, which freed her to no end.

by Anonymousreply 61September 11, 2019 1:53 AM

[quote] Most jeans nowadays are made of stretch denim

And I'm allergic to spandex/elastane. So may jeans, regular pants, shirts and stuff have this in them. I can't even stay in a lot of stores very long. Tried on khaki shorts at the Gap last weekend and started coughing...then saw they had spandex. Why? Stop the madness.

by Anonymousreply 62September 11, 2019 3:11 AM

I don't want to see camel toe and ass crack.

by Anonymousreply 63September 11, 2019 3:37 AM

R28 Was at Publix yesterday and this woman in full workout gear walked by me in the aisle. The phrase “buying groceries in my Activewear!” in an Australian accent popped into my head and I chuckled.

by Anonymousreply 64September 11, 2019 1:29 PM

"Smoking on the street in my Activewear" makes me giggle every time.

by Anonymousreply 65September 11, 2019 2:19 PM

I work with a few women in their early 20s and it seems like personal hygiene is no longer a priority they don’t even wear makeup

by Anonymousreply 66September 11, 2019 2:45 PM

Do you wear makeup, R66? Is your hygiene lacking?

by Anonymousreply 67September 11, 2019 2:49 PM

I'm a little skeptical of R44's theory that people are unable to find comfortable pants.

by Anonymousreply 68September 11, 2019 2:52 PM

A lot of Asian women dress beautifully. They have an elegant, 1960’s style and don’t wear tight pants. I wonder where they shop. I don’t think Europeans wear athletic wear everywhere either.

by Anonymousreply 69September 11, 2019 2:54 PM

Then I'm wearing these to the office.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70September 11, 2019 3:00 PM

I see 50/50. Some look great in them and not even super fit and some look like the picture posted. The constriction part makes me uneasy. How do they breathe?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 11, 2019 3:17 PM

lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72September 11, 2019 3:26 PM

Talk about stank sleeve!

by Anonymousreply 73September 11, 2019 3:26 PM

Tragic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 11, 2019 3:26 PM

Can you imagine the stench in R71 when she peels those off at the end of the day.

by Anonymousreply 75September 11, 2019 3:52 PM

I once spotted a fat woman in leggings climbing into the back seat of a taxi outside a mall. She'd just finished her weekly shop. The ass of her leggings split, exposing her dirty hole to anyone passing by.

by Anonymousreply 76September 11, 2019 3:58 PM

[quote]How do they breathe?

Hint: not through the ass.

by Anonymousreply 77September 11, 2019 4:00 PM

These fat women think the leggings make them look slim because they are form-fitting.

by Anonymousreply 78September 11, 2019 4:06 PM

I don't think leggings are going anywhere. The rule is, they're not pants -- you're supposed to wear something that covers your ass and cooch.

by Anonymousreply 79September 11, 2019 4:08 PM

r76 I'm sorry you had to see that. What a horror show.

by Anonymousreply 80September 11, 2019 4:15 PM

OP, leggings are not a trend. I was in college in the 80s and that is what girls wore. Leggings with big oversized sweaters or sweatshirts. Color-coordinated slouchy socks and hair scrunchy.

by Anonymousreply 81September 11, 2019 4:39 PM

R59 You beat me to it with straight men's opinion. I have three close straight mates, and none of them like the look. Two are single, and one mentioned the leggings and yoga pants last time we were all out. One asked why don't women wear sexy tight jeans anymore, like the 70s and 80s? First single bloke to mention them was commenting that they don't look like real clothes. He had just had a date the night before: nice restaurant, he made the effort to dress properly, then the woman showed up in them. Our other single friend finds women in skirts and dresses with hose and heels sexy, and said he detests them too, while he laments he only sees older women looking really "hot", and dressed sexy now. (he still digs women with long painted nails as well) Married friend asked what was the difference between these and yoga pants... they all looked at me, like they thought I would know... I have not a clue. These men are all 50-54, and not the sweats and trainers sort. There were only a few comments on stuffed sausages ready to burst their casings, not really a fat shaming conversation. Married bloke's wife only wears them to yoga, and under jeans in the winter. Straight men obviously think they're cheap looking too.

by Anonymousreply 82September 11, 2019 5:10 PM

It's baffling to me when they wear leggings that are clearly meant for working out. Those leggings with the mesh on the side, for example. So many of the kids in the classes I've been taking wear those with relatively nice shoes and a nice top. It's the frau equivalent of wearing a blazer with sweatpants.

by Anonymousreply 83September 11, 2019 5:19 PM

R82 Young women on college campuses in their leggings don't care that 50+ year old men don't find their leggings sexy. The question is, do young straight men like them? (I realize this is a futile question, as DLers don't know any young straight men.)

by Anonymousreply 84September 11, 2019 5:42 PM

I suspect young straight men don't like women in leggings as there is less access as opposed to being able to slide your hand up a woman's thighs via a short skirt or dress when making out.

by Anonymousreply 85September 11, 2019 5:46 PM

R84 I didn't see a demographic specified in OP's thread, and question for this thread??? I was merely responding to a poster. If you're R59, sign your post. If you're not, you're just a cunt. Go change your bleedin leggings already.

by Anonymousreply 86September 11, 2019 6:07 PM

OP's thread ought to specify he's only looking for the opinion of straight COLLEGE AGE blokes. Right. Good luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 87September 11, 2019 6:10 PM

R85 Yes, but straight men (of all ages, as per R82) like women in tight jeans and those are even harder to grope through/under/around than leggings.

by Anonymousreply 88September 11, 2019 6:12 PM

R88 Even tight jeans leave something to the imagination which is sexier than serving it up on a plate.

A little black dress or short skirt is sexier than leggings which flaunt an outline of both a woman's crack and her cunt. The former is sexy. The latter is just sleazy. Straight men love pussy but are repulsed by seeing camel toes.

by Anonymousreply 89September 11, 2019 6:30 PM

R89, I think it's very likely that straight men of all ages find women in short skirts sexy. This is not because of the easy access but because the skirt shows a lot of leg and because skirts are utterly feminine. Straight men are usually attracted to feminine women, just as straight women and gay men are usually attracted to masculine men. This is normal and natural.

Leggings are not even in the same category. I guess they're more comfortable than skirts, although I don't see how women can stand to have all that tight fabric clinging to their nether regions. I feel sweaty just thinking about wearing anything that tight.

by Anonymousreply 90September 11, 2019 7:06 PM

R81, yes, I remember that. But those tops were big and long. IIRC, they came down to mid-thigh. The effect was similar to a woman wearing a shapeless minidress and colored pantyhose, although less formal. The bigger the woman (there were overweight people back then, too), the more oversized the top typically was. It wasn’t an especially becoming look, but at least it wasn’t overly revealing.

Also, women in the ‘80s wore these outfits for casual purposes only. They might have worn them to the supermarket, but they didn’t wear them to office jobs, much less to a restaurant above the fast food level. This is a foreign concept to modern people, I think – changing your clothes to go out to dinner. But that’s a different and well-worn topic.

by Anonymousreply 91September 11, 2019 7:08 PM

Is R84 The OP?

by Anonymousreply 92September 11, 2019 7:08 PM

[quote]I don't see how women can stand to have all that tight fabric clinging to their nether regions. I feel sweaty just thinking about wearing anything that tight.

The latest versions of eggings are usually made out of stretchy, breathable material. They don't feel tight if sized correctly, and they are cooler than many other fabrics.

by Anonymousreply 93September 11, 2019 7:38 PM

Maybe they are wearing them because of their own comfort and not for straight men. Gasp, I know, right?

by Anonymousreply 94September 11, 2019 7:39 PM

Ugh, that was supposed to say LEGGINGS @ r93.

by Anonymousreply 95September 11, 2019 7:45 PM

They just look cheap and trashy no matter what. Sleazy synthetic fabric, tight, and some in bright sun stretch so much, I can see the light coloured panties beneath. Even worse on heavy people. I would feel very self-conscious if I were a woman wearing them. I also agree with R91, many of those (like stirrup pants) were worn with boots too, so not much different to coloured tights. No one showed the backside or the crotch back then. Never worn to an office, or formal restaurant either. All the straight men I know just love women in heels, hose, skirts, or dresses. They don't need to be super short either, it's just what they prefer.

by Anonymousreply 96September 11, 2019 7:59 PM

They're said to be comfortable and look fine on average weight women. On everyone else, just no.

by Anonymousreply 97September 11, 2019 8:07 PM

R94 Perhaps they are, as well as laziness, as they're undoubtedly easier than actually getting dressed up in real clothes. They still ought to wear something long on top, either below mid thigh or closer to the knee. It's gross sitting across women on trains, waiting rooms, etc. with a camel toe facing you.

by Anonymousreply 98September 11, 2019 8:15 PM

People dress like such trash now, and it's across the socioeconomic spectrum. Even wealthy people look low-class.

by Anonymousreply 99September 11, 2019 9:46 PM

I meant on top of the poor huge e they don’t wear makeup which was strange for women when I was in my 20s.

by Anonymousreply 100September 11, 2019 9:51 PM

[quote] People dress like such trash now, and it's across the socioeconomic spectrum. Even wealthy people look low-class.

When I was a kid my mom would have been too humiliated to let me out of the house with holes in my jeans. Now people pay extra for the holes. The slobs won the day

by Anonymousreply 101September 11, 2019 9:58 PM

The worst is a fat woman with no ass I’m leggings. I used to work with a woman who actually has her leggings wedges up the front and hanging off her ass

by Anonymousreply 102September 11, 2019 10:03 PM

The worst is a fat woman with no ass I’m leggings. I used to work with a woman who actually has her leggings wedges up the front and hanging off her ass

by Anonymousreply 103September 11, 2019 10:03 PM

I've never seen a fat woman with no ass.

by Anonymousreply 104September 11, 2019 10:04 PM

All gut, no butt describes every one of my pumpkin-shaped aunts, r104.

by Anonymousreply 105September 11, 2019 10:07 PM

Yeah it was strange. She was truly an unfortunate looking woman in so many ways. Really like somebody beat her with an ugly stick

by Anonymousreply 106September 11, 2019 10:15 PM

Well, I know my nephew. I know him very well.

by Anonymousreply 107September 12, 2019 9:24 AM

I haven't been to San Francisco a lot so forgive me if I get this wrong but I think this was at the St Francis Hotel in Union Square, in October, 10 years ago. I was meeting some friends elsewhere and stopped in there to pee. Walked by the piano bar which was a somewhat elegant looking venue, with the pianist-singer in a tux. All the people sitting at the tables were in shorts and t shirts, leggings and t shirts, speakers, dad hats, etc. Everyone looked like they just came from Fisherman's Wharf. Kind of surprising people were dressed like this at night in a hotel bar in a city.

by Anonymousreply 108September 13, 2019 7:59 PM

*sneakers

by Anonymousreply 109September 13, 2019 7:59 PM

R108

That would have been the Compass Rose at the St. Francis, which has since closed. My mother would go there whenever we were in the city. She wouldn't have been caught dead there in casual clothes. I wonder if the bar losing its upscale, fancy clientele was connected to its closure.

by Anonymousreply 110September 13, 2019 8:01 PM

Leggins are extremely comfortable and they're also warm. That's why they have stayed in style.

by Anonymousreply 111September 13, 2019 8:05 PM

I think the general population would be upset if men wore compression shorts showing their junk EVERYWHERE 24/7. People don't mind a flash of VPL here and there. All these ladies with their bulging camel toes wafting pussy odour in public. It's vulgar beyond redemption.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112September 13, 2019 8:13 PM

I appreciate both sides of this discussion.

As an observer, the look with minimal workout gear worn as everyday wear....leaves something to be desired.

As a female, the comfort and warmth mentioned above is an obvious draw.

Years before leggings became commonplace, I found catsuits at Bergdorfs that I paired with minidresses. The layers were comfortable and warm.

Now I do wear leggings with tunic "dresses or tops" or dedicated work-outs.

Fashion, though has morphed - for some - into incredibly ripped jeans, body hugging (and revealing!) wear and hair and make-up that is so pronounced it looks plastic.

While perhaps not the same degree, I guess this has been around a while. As Diana Rigg demonstrated:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113September 13, 2019 8:57 PM

Cool picture R113. I remember too when those catsuits were all the rage. The stretchiness of the typical leggings seems different to these. There's also a longer rise, and some extra room in the crotch. If these were made of a better thicker,fabric, say wool blend gabardine, or even a faiile fabric with a bit more wiggle room, many probably would feel differently about them. After reading this thread, I was surprised how many I noticed running errands and going out to lunch.

by Anonymousreply 114September 15, 2019 12:47 AM

Fortunately, R112, I too (like OP) work on a college campus in the Northeast and see that look on male students more than ever, especially now that the days are getting cooler and early morning practices are more frequent. One attractive young man in leggings was sitting in the university's drugstore waiting for his prescription while idly scratching his balls when I picked up my Lipitor this morning.

Certainly beats watching CNN on the bigscreen TV as you stand in line for the pharmacist...

by Anonymousreply 115September 15, 2019 1:10 AM

Prepare to clutch your pearls bedizened bosoms, DL aunties. Fashion innovators have come up with a solution for those who desire jeans but hate the constrictive limitations of denim...Jeggings!

by Anonymousreply 116September 15, 2019 5:48 AM

When people love the look of a particular type of clothing, why do they always say the article in question is comfortable, warm, cool, or some other thing? For ex when skinny jeans came in guys i knew would always say how comfortable they are, not that they like them because they look hot or make their ass pop, or whatever. Hey dude you're g girl jeans now? Oh yeah but they're so comfortable, bro.

by Anonymousreply 117September 15, 2019 7:10 AM

It's somehow oddly even more annoying when the wearers pronounce them "leggins'".

by Anonymousreply 118September 15, 2019 7:30 AM

R115 Nobody's mentioned the trend of guys wearing leggings or tights with athletic shorts, or other kinds of shorts. At least in the Northeast, this is something you see all the time now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119September 15, 2019 12:48 PM

R119, you do see it a lot. It's not as noticeable because they're wearing shorts over the leggings. I think it looks weird - why not just wear long pants? - but it's not as remarkable as a woman (or man, if you ever saw this, which you don't) in leggings and nothing else below the waist.

by Anonymousreply 120September 15, 2019 9:59 PM

Exactly R120... It just makes the blokes look as if they're wearing compression pants or sporting tights. It's the clinginess around the jiggly bits and the nether regions that is the crux of the problem.

by Anonymousreply 121September 16, 2019 6:34 AM

One person's problem, R121, can be another's opportunity...assuming the jiggly bits and nether regions are a pleasing sight to the onlooker.

by Anonymousreply 122September 16, 2019 12:15 PM

We seem to be talking about two completely different things. R122. I'm referring to flabby backsides not in good shape, love handles and saddlebags, other additional rolls, as well as the outer labia which cause the dreaded cameltoe. Those are the problems for me, not the blokes in these under shorts, or without.

You must still be out of your mind in a reverie over R15 's trip to the chemist apparently, I suppose it's hard to get an image like @ R112 out of one's head. Yes, that probably did indeed begin a focus on the men's activewear versions of these. I must say, I truly have not witnessed an out of shape bloke with any jiggly bits trying to pull these off... only women, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 123September 16, 2019 3:25 PM

I am R115, R123, and while the bulge was not quite as erect as that in R112 (early on a Saturday morning so perhaps hungover from the night before?) it was very visible but chances are I wouldn't have noticed his dick had he not been so obviously scratching his balls with his legs spread wide. Sadly, he was seated, so there was no view of his posterior but I can assume it was as attractive - and as openly displayed - as the rest of him.

And my point was that in my recent experience, I'm starting to see these on - fortunately, at least so far - young men in great shape. Given the hour and the jacket, I'm guessing he was a rower. No doubt there are both men and women who shouldn't be wearing them but if they're not male, I'm not looking and so far, I haven't noticed any men wearing them who shouldn't. Some woman's ass could be as wide as a highway and, unless she was in front of me and couldn't get through the door, I doubt I'd notice - my eyes are elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 124September 16, 2019 6:18 PM

Just my opinion, but I think leggings are for people who are either lazy about how they look or they really don't know how to dress presentably for social situations. I work in an engineering agency and sometimes interns and young professional women will wear leggings, a pullover shirt and a blazer for meetings.

My straight buddies think women where leggings they just give up.

by Anonymousreply 125September 18, 2019 11:52 PM

What a mess my response was. I'll try it again.

Just my opinion, but I think leggings are for people who are either lazy about how they look or they really don't know how to dress presentably for social situations. I work in an engineering agency and sometimes interns and young professional women will wear leggings, a pullover shirt and a blazer for meetings. Looks lazy and oblivious.

My straight buddies think women who wear leggings have just given up.

by Anonymousreply 126September 18, 2019 11:53 PM

Ive got 2 nieces...one wears pretty dresses and always does makeup and her hair before leaving the house. The other one is the leggings and t shirt girl who never does anything with her hair.The pretty dresses one ,though not as attractive as the legging one,had her choice of men all her life and is now married to a millionaire. The legging one,far prettier,has had an endless parade of shitty men and is now living with her baby daddy who refuses to marry her. Coincidence? I think not.

by Anonymousreply 127September 19, 2019 1:31 AM

There is a woman I see at my bus stop two or three mornings a week. As I walk to the bus stop, I wonder what baseball cap and what sneakers she'll be wearing with her leggings. She's mid-30s. Always wearing a baseball cap and leggings. It's really just the oversized sweatshirt or oversized blouse that changes.

by Anonymousreply 128October 11, 2019 1:06 AM

R110 Thanks for that info, about the Compass Rose. That must have been the place. Wonder if that was the reason it closed? The place was packed the time I walked by, though.

by Anonymousreply 129October 14, 2019 4:46 PM

Leggings lasted a long time in the 80s into the 90s, why are people surprised that a practical form of pants wear has staying power. When woman look good the pants are great. They make many stylish version. Personally, I like it better than the old fashioned sweatpants for men and woman. Especially the type that used to drag on the ground.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130October 14, 2019 4:49 PM

When will it cross over to the mens?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131October 14, 2019 8:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!