Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Stale Twitter wit and phrases the world should abandon

It seems to have permeated everywhere. I'll begin:

"We're in the darkest timeline"

"Do better"

"There's always a Trump tweet!"

the writing of sentences with no ending punctuation or caps to seem chill

"Me:

Someone:

Someone else:"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 7, 2019 8:23 PM

The awful trend of posting an image with a caption labelled something like "When you run into an old Ex " or "When you have been up all night with insomnia ", etc etc.

by Anonymousreply 1September 7, 2019 5:27 AM

So many examples I don't know where to start. The worst thing is that this juvenile internet speak has permeated pretty much every publication. No one is willing to speak like an adult anymore. One example is the trend of throwing the word fuck around in headlines, IE "Starbucks Has A new Drink and It's Delicious As Fuck ". The other is the preachy, bratty teachers pet style of discussing controversial subjects " No, It's Not Okay to Watch [controversial actor or director 's ] New Film. " or "No, You Don't Have The Right to [whatever ]". I'm so sick of some spoiled millennial Ivy League brat with very little real world experience preaching to me what I need to think and feel. I hate this trend of sneering and rolling eyes at everyone who has a different viewpoint than what is popular.

by Anonymousreply 2September 7, 2019 5:37 AM

"[X celebrity or famous person ] Did [X ] Because of Course He did. " I hate the "of course " trend.

by Anonymousreply 3September 7, 2019 5:40 AM

I actually love that, r1! Memes.

by Anonymousreply 4September 7, 2019 5:46 AM

Clap back

by Anonymousreply 5September 7, 2019 5:47 AM

No one:

No one at all:

Literally not one soul:

So annoying. And this is coming from a 23 year old who is in this demographic

by Anonymousreply 6September 7, 2019 5:51 AM

Also, I remember seeing a really popular tweet on twitter after Aziz Ansari came out with his new Netflix special that was “So, when did we decide Aziz Ansari was allowed to have a comeback?”

Like seriously? We are just all one collective brain “canceling” people at will? So meanspirited and juvenile

by Anonymousreply 7September 7, 2019 5:54 AM

I really wish there was a plugin that just auto ignores any replies to posts that consist of memes. Any response consisting solely of a gif gets immediately binned. It's prevalent mostly in the, shall we say, pleb part of Twitter, especially Black Twitter, Gay Twitter, and any B, C, or D-list celebrity/reality show posts.

by Anonymousreply 8September 7, 2019 5:54 AM

Let that sink in.

by Anonymousreply 9September 7, 2019 5:55 AM

R7 that's the Buzzfeed clickbait pollution. It's infected the culture to such a degree that people speak in it and write their Tweets like it.

Example - CNN used to have a decent homepage. But they hired some new person to run it and make it profitable and the solution seems to be to add clickbait and the headlines are now Buzzfeed-esque using the same lingo, as well as sponsored posts and "buy this thing, it will change your life" affiliate links. I'm not sure if this was an intentional decision or just what fresh journalism students are taught now, because even on the Washington Post website there are headlines that are clearly clickbait.

by Anonymousreply 10September 7, 2019 5:59 AM

R6 it's infected you because you didn't put ending punctuation on either of your posts!

by Anonymousreply 11September 7, 2019 6:00 AM

The phrase "call out ". Another one, though I'm not sure if this can be blamed on twitter is this bizarre and newfangled way of writing news headlines. In the past an article would have been headlined "5 Injured in Roller Coaster Accident ". Now it would read " They Wanted A Fun Day At the Theme Park. Then the Roller Coaster Broke ". So fucking obnoxious .

by Anonymousreply 12September 7, 2019 6:13 AM

"x is cancelled"

by Anonymousreply 13September 7, 2019 6:15 AM

Good God, what DO you want to read on Twitter? This thread covers literally ALL tweets.

by Anonymousreply 14September 7, 2019 6:29 AM

The rampant use of "folks."

by Anonymousreply 15September 7, 2019 6:32 AM

R15 thanks, Obama!

by Anonymousreply 16September 7, 2019 6:36 AM

What We Know About blah blah blah

Starting every pronouncement with "So"

by Anonymousreply 17September 7, 2019 8:22 AM

"Because" + noun

Dakoduh has texted me like 63 times but I haven't responded, because feels.

Someone bring me a pizza, because need.

Watching good-boy videos all night, because cutenesses.

by Anonymousreply 18September 7, 2019 8:40 AM

R18 Doesn't JoeMyGod do that a lot?

"Because Jesus!"

I'm a Millennial but I learned that from him.

by Anonymousreply 19September 7, 2019 8:46 AM

Memes and catchphrases don't bother me much, honestly. The only one that grates is "Wow. Just wow." because it's been around nearly 20 years; it was listed as an overused phrase a decade ago in a Jezebel article, which is saying something.

by Anonymousreply 20September 7, 2019 9:07 AM

[quote]I'm so sick of some spoiled millennial Ivy League brat with very little real world experience preaching to me what I need to think and feel.

Look, I don't know why so many people take this kind of thing so personally, but at some point you and everyone else like you is going to have to grow up and take some responsibility for your own internet experience.

No one is lecturing you unless you LET them lecture you. So some 20-something wrote an article and some 30-something editor put a clickbait headline on it. Who the fuck cares? Why are you looking at some HuffPo headline and internalizing it as though it was speaking directly to you?

There is only a certain type of online writing outlet that uses the kind of headlines you're complaining about. Why are you even on those websites?

If you're seeing links to those websites from people you follow on social media, why are you following them? Mute them, unfollow, use some keywords to get rid of those articles, and stop pretending like they're about you, because they're not.

by Anonymousreply 21September 7, 2019 9:11 AM

A lot of these have been around forever.

"Because" followed by a noun dates back to at least 15 years on political blogs, but it may have shown up earlier. Anyone who was on TWoP should remember it.

The headlines R12 and R17 describe have been used in print magazines for decades. Those are probably the only things retained from the old print media.

by Anonymousreply 22September 7, 2019 9:15 AM

R21, I'd normally agree with you about just ignoring things, but those insipid articles and phrases are the first things that come up in many internet searches. It's virtually impossible to "mute" or "unfollow" them - they are often first to come up on Google or other internet search engines on popular topics. What "key word" can you use to avoid them?

R2 is right. It's true that many adult journalists today, covering mainstream culture, write like 15-year-old tweens :). Society is dumbing down.

by Anonymousreply 23September 7, 2019 9:45 AM

Slightly off-topic: But I hate how every fart is “BREAKING NEWS” these days

by Anonymousreply 24September 7, 2019 10:49 AM

R2 and r12, you sure love your space bar, don’t you?

Christ!

by Anonymousreply 25September 7, 2019 10:56 AM

[Russian troll headline] BOOM!

by Anonymousreply 26September 7, 2019 11:17 AM

Marcia Brady is dragging this thread on Twitter because #haters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 7, 2019 11:56 AM

I don’t know why it’s so popular. Only gay men over the age of 50 have the skills and thick-skin to handle Twitter without losing their minds..

by Anonymousreply 28September 7, 2019 12:07 PM

R22 sounds like a Millennial trying to justify his Twitter-speak.

The point is they're overused and tired and no longer witty phrases and should be retired, and those who use them, killed and stuffed.

by Anonymousreply 29September 7, 2019 2:53 PM

[quote] [R15] thanks, Obama!

Yes I blame Obama for that. Also the contrived use of "conversation."

by Anonymousreply 30September 7, 2019 4:04 PM

"Just a Friendly Reminder" followed with an obnoxious moralising statement.

by Anonymousreply 31September 7, 2019 4:10 PM

"But her emails!" owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 32September 7, 2019 4:47 PM

"Owns this thread"

by Anonymousreply 33September 7, 2019 5:12 PM

"It's 2019!" (Or whatever the year is)

by Anonymousreply 34September 7, 2019 5:13 PM

OP, are you sure you aren't just pissed about people tweeting bad things about Trump?

by Anonymousreply 35September 7, 2019 5:14 PM

R35 Yes I'm sure 🙄

by Anonymousreply 36September 7, 2019 5:16 PM

Blah blah blah

blah blah blah

blah blah blah

It's still only 9:35am

by Anonymousreply 37September 7, 2019 5:18 PM

"I just. I can't even"

by Anonymousreply 38September 7, 2019 5:28 PM

Any over-used lyrics from Taylor Swift's puerile, teenage-IQ songs:

"#Haters gonna hate".

People seem to have forgotten what the word "hate" actually means. Any dissent or critique is now labelled "hate" on Twitter. Because, as a social platform, it's overrun with 15-year-olds.

by Anonymousreply 39September 7, 2019 5:36 PM

YOU GUYS

by Anonymousreply 40September 7, 2019 5:55 PM

Well, I never in all my life.

by Anonymousreply 41September 7, 2019 6:08 PM

41 that's a Datalounge thing, not Twitter

by Anonymousreply 42September 7, 2019 6:27 PM

I still like "Thanks, Obama!" especially when trumpkins crow about the long economic upturn.

by Anonymousreply 43September 7, 2019 6:30 PM

You didn't mention "Who gives a fuck?"

by Anonymousreply 44September 7, 2019 6:37 PM

I miss "BOMBSHELL TONIGHT!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 7, 2019 7:03 PM

"Repeat after me"

by Anonymousreply 46September 7, 2019 8:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!