Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Discontinued Foods & Flavors that should be brought back.

1. The Barnone Candy Bar - Basically chocolate covered chocolate with chocolate filling. And crushed peanuts and wafers. Was around from about 1987 through mid 90's. Retooled into two bars with caramel before it disappeared.

2. Pillsbury Blueberry Waffles - Unlike Eggo, these actually had taste. A mini version recently popped up, but it's not the same. Eggo pretty much dominates this market sadly.

3. Just Right Cereal - Basically an early version of Great Grains.

4. Doodads snack mix - Fun fact: If you turned the box upside down, it spelled "Spapoop".

5. Clusters Cereal - Relatively simple: Flakes and nutty clusters with honey. But soooo good.

6. The Seven-Up Bar - Like a box of mixed chocolates in one candy bar with seven different flavored sections. There was a dark chocolate version (before that was cool) with different flavors than the milk chocolate. Discontinued because they didn't want confusion with 7-up the Drink.

7. Almost Home Cookies - The title says it all.

8. Hires Root Beer - I think this still actually exists in some pockets of the US, though it is extremely hard to find.

9. 1-2-3 Jello. A jello with three sections: The bottom was regular jello, the top was an airy whipped cream sort, and the middle was the best of all.

10. Swanson Fish & Chips TV Dinner - Just because.

11. PB MAXX - square chocolate bar with peanut butter and oats. Discontinued because the maker didn't like peanut butter (apparently they didn't realize that the goal of any business should be pleasing the customer.)

12. The mocha flavor in the Carnation Instant Breakfast Variety Pack - Discontinued in order to make way for a third chocolate version. Fuck you Carnation!

by Anonymousreply 419February 8, 2020 11:49 AM

Honey Nut Shredded Wheat. I was addicted.

by Anonymousreply 1September 5, 2019 3:17 PM

Alpha-Bits

by Anonymousreply 2September 5, 2019 3:21 PM

Franco-American Macaroni and Cheese in a can!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 5, 2019 3:22 PM

Pepperidge Farm Salzburg cookies. You can't find them, but you can find 800 versions of shitty Milanos with their weird texture.

by Anonymousreply 4September 5, 2019 3:26 PM

I enjoyed Coke Blak (it was Coca-Cola with coffee in it.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 5, 2019 3:27 PM

OP, I loved Jell-o 1 2 3.

I’d also like to see the return on Marathon candy bars.

by Anonymousreply 6September 5, 2019 3:30 PM

R6: Oooh I loved Marathons!

I desperately miss Haagen-Dazs honey vanilla ice cream. It had a delicate flavor.

by Anonymousreply 7September 5, 2019 3:33 PM

OP types fat and trashy.

by Anonymousreply 8September 5, 2019 3:35 PM

Fatty! Fatty! Fatty!

by Anonymousreply 9September 5, 2019 3:37 PM

Did anyone ever get into Vienetta? It was basically an early version of ice cream cake. The commercials for it billed it as this fancy, high-class dessert. It was around for a short time around 1994.

by Anonymousreply 10September 5, 2019 4:55 PM

Grapefruit Tang

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 5, 2019 4:59 PM

Another one of these fucking threads? I am so sick of the repeated thread topics every other month. This place is getting so boring. But since I'm here, let me throw in Jell-O Pudding Pops and Pepperidge Farms Croissant Pizza.

by Anonymousreply 12September 5, 2019 5:05 PM

Things like honey vanilla ice cream and Coke with coffee in it aren't hard to make for yourself: pour some honey over plain vanilla ice cream, add some cold coffee to your glass of Coke. Not exactly the same as the original versions, but a little tinkering will get you pretty close.

Save your nostalgia for something that's completely irreplaceable, like Aunt Jemima cinnamon coffeecake mix! The box included a little foil coated cardboard baking pan, a pouch of streusel topping, and a plastic bag full of dry ingredients -- you broke an egg into the plastic bag, added milk, held the bag closed with one hand, and squished the bag with the other hand to mix the batter up (so Bob Dole wouldn't be able to use the product, but he's probably got people for that) -- then you poured the batter into the cardboard pan and sprinkled the streusel on top to bake. Kids could do it themselves without tools, and my dad used to supervise as we made it for our mom on her birthday, Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, etc. Why would a company stop producing such a wonderful thing?

by Anonymousreply 13September 5, 2019 5:10 PM

Mr Turkey Kielbasa and Polish Sausage. Flavored with garlic and very few artificial ingredients. Used to buy it at Ralph's in Los Angeles.

Figurines, something I've always wanted to try.

by Anonymousreply 14September 5, 2019 5:31 PM

PB Crisps!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 5, 2019 5:34 PM

About 15 years ago there was a Snickers Cruncher bar that I just loved, it was marketed as having fewer calories than a Snickers (which it did by something like 100 calories) but it was delicious. The nougat was replaced with puffed rice, basically, sort of like a Whatchamacallit. Now I can't find either.

by Anonymousreply 16September 5, 2019 5:35 PM

Hostess Sno Balls. It was my favorite gas station guilty pleasure, once a month or so

by Anonymousreply 17September 5, 2019 5:40 PM

Chicken Tonight

by Anonymousreply 18September 5, 2019 5:41 PM

Aspen soda

Stouffer's Noodles Romanoff

Hostess Chocodiles (chocolate covered twinkie)

by Anonymousreply 19September 5, 2019 5:42 PM

R17, those cream-filled chocolate cakes covered in marshmallow and coconut? They have them at 7/11

by Anonymousreply 20September 5, 2019 5:43 PM

Sara Lee banana cake and orange cake. I loved those asa kid.

by Anonymousreply 21September 5, 2019 5:48 PM

Carnation Instant Breakfast bars

by Anonymousreply 22September 5, 2019 5:49 PM

Turkish Taffy

by Anonymousreply 23September 5, 2019 5:54 PM

Blue Bell white chocolate almond ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 24September 5, 2019 5:54 PM

[quote]Did anyone ever get into Vienetta? It was basically [bold]an early version of ice cream cake[/bold]. The commercials for it billed it as this fancy, high-class dessert. [bold]It was around for a short time around 1994.[/bold]

Ice cream cake long predates 1994, hon.

by Anonymousreply 25September 5, 2019 5:59 PM

Raisin Squares

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 5, 2019 6:11 PM

pussy!

by Anonymousreply 27September 5, 2019 6:28 PM

Op, Doodads upside down spells spapooD and not spapoop.

by Anonymousreply 28September 5, 2019 6:35 PM

Leave science out of this, R28.

by Anonymousreply 29September 5, 2019 6:48 PM

OP, Another vote for the dark chocolate 7-Up bar.

Mini baba-rum cakes coated in dark chocolate and individually wrapped and sold. Back in the mid-70's they cost 25 cents apiece.

by Anonymousreply 30September 5, 2019 6:51 PM

Peach Fresca

by Anonymousreply 31September 5, 2019 6:58 PM

Good news for R17!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 5, 2019 7:15 PM

Ayds candy.

by Anonymousreply 33September 5, 2019 7:27 PM

Speaking of Hostess, I wish they would return to the original recipe for their snack cakes. I tried a Twinkie the other day and it was awful. I used to love Twinkies. Then I tried a cupcake and that was awful too. Ann Blyth would not be pleased.

by Anonymousreply 34September 5, 2019 7:31 PM

Twinkies are inedible now, definitely. The yellow cakes with chocolate frosting are still alright, but the chocolate covered Twinkies aren't, somehow.

by Anonymousreply 35September 5, 2019 7:52 PM

Hostess went out of business and was bought up by some other company so even though Hostess Twinkies, Sno-Balls, and Fruit Pies are still found on shelves they’re not the same product they used to be.

On the plus side since I know they don’t taste the same they don’t tempt me anymore.

by Anonymousreply 36September 5, 2019 7:56 PM

Dark chocolate Snickers, Birds-eye Wisconsin style vegetables, guacamole Doritos.

by Anonymousreply 37September 5, 2019 8:00 PM

After reading this thread I looked at two different stores for 1-2-3 Jello and no dice.

Dammit.

by Anonymousreply 38September 5, 2019 8:09 PM

Haagen-Dazs Pralines & Cream. Only send it to more stores, Nestle. Then you won't have to bitch that it doesn't sell enough to justify its existence.

I could get every flavor of H-D at my local except Pralines & Cream, easily the best flavor they made.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 5, 2019 8:19 PM

Fiber One Chocolate Toaster Pastries. It was kind of like a pop tart, only supposedly more nutritious. I liked them. They were "chocolate fudge" but weren't too sweet.

Little Debbie Cream Cheese Streusel Cakes. They were so good! I got them at CVS; I couldn't find them there anymore, so I looked in grocery stories. But I guess they don't make them anymore. Rats!

by Anonymousreply 40September 5, 2019 8:22 PM

[quote] Speaking of Hostess, I wish they would return to the original recipe for their snack cakes. I tried a Twinkie the other day and it was awful. I used to love Twinkies. Then I tried a cupcake and that was awful too. Ann Blyth would not be pleased.

Mrs. Freshley's chocolate cupcakes (still available) are as good or better than the Hostess cupcakes. They're even a little larger than the Hostess. I now prefer Mrs. Freshley's chocolate cupcakes to Hostess. Give them a try. (No, I don't work for Mrs. Freshley's.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 5, 2019 8:28 PM

Kudos bars. Those were the best.

by Anonymousreply 42September 5, 2019 11:07 PM

There was something called Munch 'Ems that were big in the early mid-90s that were like little flavored crackers. My favorite were the sour cream and onion.

by Anonymousreply 43September 5, 2019 11:09 PM

Godiva chocolate raspberry truffle ice cream, the best store-bought ice cream I've ever eaten

by Anonymousreply 44September 5, 2019 11:54 PM

Jello Spoon Candy. The hard chocolate topping was delicious!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 6, 2019 12:31 AM

nestle white chocolate

by Anonymousreply 46September 6, 2019 12:50 AM

This one is extremely obscure: Grand Lyon Bordeaux Ketchup

by Anonymousreply 47September 6, 2019 12:54 AM

Crystal fucking Pepsi.

by Anonymousreply 48September 6, 2019 12:55 AM

[quote] Ann Blyth would not be pleased.

Ann Blyth has granted you permission to switch to Little Debbie's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 6, 2019 1:01 AM

OP, they still sell the old version of the BarNone candy bar. Check the Vermont Country Store catalogue. It’s with all their old-fashioned candies.

by Anonymousreply 50September 8, 2019 4:20 PM

Crunchola bars - peanut butter and granola. They were more peanut-buttery than anything made nowadays. My grocery store replaced them with Nature Valley's awful, dry granola bars.

by Anonymousreply 51September 8, 2019 4:43 PM

R15 and r10 are the ones I miss most.

by Anonymousreply 52September 8, 2019 4:44 PM

Micromagic French fries. 3 for a dollar. Microwave 2 minutes, salt, and shake.

The fry that got trapped in the corner of the pack was always so hard, oily, salty, and yet purely heaven.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53September 8, 2019 4:51 PM

Nature Valley Granola Clusters. I loved the raisin.

by Anonymousreply 54September 8, 2019 10:28 PM

Bonvivant vichyssoise soup

by Anonymousreply 55September 8, 2019 11:06 PM

Blueberry Bubble Yum

by Anonymousreply 56September 8, 2019 11:16 PM

Häagen-Dazs Strawberry Cheesecake. It was only available here for a limited time, but I get it if I leave the country (Canada, Australia, Thailand, France, South Africa, etc.). Why can I only get it on vacation damnit? I also liked PBMax, and it's supposed to come back this year (most likely in an updated formulation).

by Anonymousreply 57September 8, 2019 11:31 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58September 9, 2019 12:03 AM

Diet Apple Slice soda.

by Anonymousreply 59September 9, 2019 12:06 AM

R10, those were fancy versions of the "Ice Box Cake", basically cookies layered with whipped cream, and refrigerated until the cookies swelled up and became cake.

by Anonymousreply 60September 9, 2019 12:09 AM

R10, those were fancy versions of the "Ice Box Cake", basically cookies layered with whipped cream, and refrigerated until the cookies swelled up and became cake.

by Anonymousreply 61September 9, 2019 12:09 AM

Home made 1-2-3 Jello

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62September 9, 2019 12:12 AM

Turkish Taffy. Whip'n Chill.

by Anonymousreply 63September 9, 2019 12:12 AM

I think, back in the 80s, there was this brand of hot dogs that came and went. They were a little fat, and spotted, like sausage. When you bit into them, they spurted out hot grease that would burn the inside of your mouth, particularly the tissue beneath your lower front teeth. It was painful.

But the hot dogs were really good!

(This post is completely literal.)

by Anonymousreply 64September 9, 2019 12:15 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65September 9, 2019 12:17 AM

Chicago home town products Atlas Prager Beer, Imperial Rye Bread, and Ye Olde Tavern Cheese Spread! I used to get a small glass of beer with meals at my grandparents, and I still can't find a beer to match the taste of that beer. They've been out of business for over fifty years and I still remember the taste.

by Anonymousreply 66September 9, 2019 12:18 AM

[quote]Häagen-Dazs Strawberry Cheesecake.

I remember the frozen yogurt version, but I never saw or tasted it as ice cream. Back around 1992, IIRC. I was addicted to it. You couldn't tell it was yogurt. I would so love for it to come back. Also Pralines & Cream and a Dark Chocolate w/Raspberry Swirl that was a short-term flavor maybe 15 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 67September 9, 2019 12:23 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 9, 2019 12:24 AM

Swedish rye bread. Don't remember the brand that I bought in LA. Remember it also at Solvang, CA.

by Anonymousreply 69September 9, 2019 12:25 AM

Post Oat Flakes. My favorite cereal by far. They haven't been available for many years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70September 9, 2019 12:48 AM

[quote]After reading this thread I looked at two different stores for 1-2-3 Jello and no dice.

Hence its mention on a thread about "discontinued" foods.

by Anonymousreply 71September 9, 2019 12:54 AM

Product 19 cereal

TaB energy drink (it was not cola flavored, it was like pink bubblegum)

Pringles Stix, especially the Honey Butter flavor

by Anonymousreply 72September 9, 2019 2:29 AM

Barnone was the best candy bar.

by Anonymousreply 73September 9, 2019 3:30 AM

Koogle Peanut Spread. Just kidding, it was pretty gross.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 9, 2019 3:45 AM

To the person who asked about Vienetta -- sure do remember it. It's actually still produced in the UK and Europe, but has long been discontinued in the US. If you have a Thai-style Ice Cream Rolls store near you, you might want to check them out. Probably the closest you'd come to that layered experience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 9, 2019 3:49 AM

Anyone remember Campbell's Golden Corn soup? It was introduced sometime in the early 90s, but discontinued before the decade was up. It was so rich and flavorful. And probably could have been used in a lot of recipes, too. Shame they discontinued it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76September 9, 2019 3:51 AM

American food is janky as fuck. No wonder y’all have diabeetus. x

by Anonymousreply 77September 9, 2019 3:57 AM

Sunshine Lemon Coolers were delicious and unique. There was and is nothing on the market like them. Why would they discontinue them? Bring the Sunshine back!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78September 9, 2019 4:32 AM

Screaming Yellow Zonkers.

by Anonymousreply 79September 9, 2019 4:41 AM

These were the best corn dogs ever ... and they got discontinued. Hmmmph!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80September 9, 2019 4:42 AM

Howard Johnson's friend clams. Yumster!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81September 9, 2019 4:43 AM

Campbells Scotch Broth soup

Howard Johnsons chicken croquettes

comfort food

by Anonymousreply 82September 9, 2019 5:05 AM

Haagen Dazs cinnamon ice cream. Could get it in London in the late 90s but never over here. The best,

by Anonymousreply 83September 9, 2019 5:11 AM

[quote]Sunshine Lemon Coolers were delicious and unique.

An online search will bring up several recipes for making a facsimile of Lemon Coolers at home. Way too much work.

by Anonymousreply 84September 9, 2019 5:03 PM

R84, I've seen those, and you're right. That's why I want somebody to make them commercially again. What used to be Sunshine Biscuits is apparently now owned by Kellogg's, but the Lemon Cooler name is owned by something called Texas Brands, LLC, a company about which there's very little information on line.

Since the recipe is widely distributed, any company could make the cookie and call it something similar. Are you listening, Pepperidge Farm?

by Anonymousreply 85September 9, 2019 10:57 PM

Does anyone else remember Nippy brand cheese* spread? I think it was made by Kraft. It came in a tube. You'd cut one end off the tube and scoop or squeeze out what you needed.

By itself, Nippy was nothing special, but my mother used to mix it with an equal portion of cream cheese plus minced celery and onion and some pepper to make a really tasty cheese spread. It was the sort of thing that used to be served in celery boats as an appetizer or party snack. I've tried using Wispride and Helluva Good sharp cheddar* spreads, but it doesn't taste quite the same.

*Note that these are all pasteurized processed cheese foods, not actual cheese, although they contain real cheese.

by Anonymousreply 86September 9, 2019 11:05 PM

Sunshine Biscuits was acquired by Keebler in 1996, and then Keebler was acquired by Kellogg's in 2000. The Sunshine name was retained on some products, most notably Cheez-Its, but other Sunshine brands were discontinued, including Hydrox, Sunshine's version of Oreos. Some people apparently preferred Hydrox to Oreos. No other company seems to be making a version of Lemon Coolers these days.

by Anonymousreply 87September 9, 2019 11:10 PM

r86=Dionne Warwick

by Anonymousreply 88September 10, 2019 12:13 AM

Häagen-Dazs had a five–ingredient line, and their brown sugar flavor it was the stuff of dreams.

Yes, I know I type fat!

by Anonymousreply 89September 10, 2019 12:26 AM

R89 Häagen-Dazs Five was actually their lighter line of ice cream, but it's no longer available.

by Anonymousreply 90September 10, 2019 1:41 AM

R90 - I think you may be thinking of something else. I believe R89 was referring to this line. I'm not sure what's "lighter" about cream, eggs and sugar. If anything, I remember thinking how rich it was. The only flavor I recall trying was the wonderful passion fruit flavor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91September 10, 2019 2:10 AM

R91 Sorry I wasn't clear. The Five line wasn't significantly lighter or different from their regular line of ice cream. It just had slightly less fat. The Five label was mostly just marketing speak because the regular line rarely had anymore ingredients than the Five line.

by Anonymousreply 92September 10, 2019 2:14 AM

"Did you eat some of my Figurines? Those are for adults and they're expensive!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93September 10, 2019 2:19 AM

Blue Pepsi. I drank it almost everyday in high school when it came out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94September 10, 2019 2:53 AM

Pepsi Blue would have made me feel like I was drinking windshield washer fluid.

by Anonymousreply 95September 10, 2019 3:01 AM

r95 it was delicious

by Anonymousreply 96September 10, 2019 3:18 AM

Kashi used to make a delicious instant Hearty Honey & Cinnamon hot cereal. For some reason, they discontinued that line of products. It’s a shame because people loved it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97September 10, 2019 3:25 AM

R93 Figurines were good, as were some other breakfast cookies Pillsbury used to make. I cannot recall the name. Uneeda Biscuits need a comeback as well, and those chocolate covered Carnation Breakfast bars. No power bar or the like comes close to any of those really. I don't care if they had asbestos in them, I want them back!

by Anonymousreply 98September 10, 2019 3:42 AM

Another vote for Kellogg's Product 19. It had a unique malt-y flavour.

by Anonymousreply 99September 10, 2019 3:43 AM

[quote] Blue Pepsi. I drank it almost everyday in high school when it came out.

Your poor teeth . . .

by Anonymousreply 100September 10, 2019 3:49 AM

I know r100. Thank goodness I grew out of my soda phase or I'd be toothless with diabetes by now. Im sure it had a week's worth of sugar in one bottle, but it was so good.

by Anonymousreply 101September 10, 2019 3:58 AM

Haagen-Dazs discontinued Pralines and Cream?

by Anonymousreply 102September 10, 2019 4:13 AM

doodads upside-down is spapoop, except the a is upside-down.

by Anonymousreply 103September 10, 2019 4:21 AM

Kellogg's Concentrate cereal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104September 10, 2019 4:23 AM

My mother had a work meeting every Tuesday night and she would leave money for me to get takeout. Instead, I’d buy an Oregon Farms carrot cake and peel off the frozen frosting for dinner.

I was one sad gayling when I’d have to go visit my father; not because he had become a religious loon, but because I didn’t have the opportunity to eat a big sheet of frosting for a meal when I was there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105September 10, 2019 5:04 AM

Iron blood bubble black ass tea.

by Anonymousreply 106September 10, 2019 5:19 AM

The chicken supreme from Jack in the Box. $2.O0 of heaven after a night of debauchery in Houston’s Montrose district circa 1982.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107September 10, 2019 5:41 AM

Actually r87, Oreos were a rip off of Hydrox. Hydrox were actually better, but never really took off because who names an edible product “Hydrox”?

by Anonymousreply 108September 11, 2019 10:56 AM

R78, if you know any Girl Scouts, they have a version of them. Or used to.

R63, you can still get Turkish Taffy. It’s harder to find, but it’s out there. Dylan’s Candy Bar and Economy Candy have it. I loved the banana flavor. You can probably get it online if you’re not in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 109September 11, 2019 1:17 PM

Just yesterday I saw Four Loko at a bodega. Wasn’t that discontinued? I suspect it’s been reformulated.

by Anonymousreply 110September 11, 2019 1:18 PM

Every once in awhile I’ll see some generic brand lemon coolers at Big Lots or Cracker Barrel. They’re a far cry from the old Sunshine version. Tiny cookies with barely any lemon flavor. Don’t disappoint yourself if you see them.

by Anonymousreply 111September 11, 2019 8:25 PM

My absolute favorite cereal as a kid. I think they were discontinued in the early '70s. They were later just called Jets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112September 11, 2019 8:37 PM

[quote] because who names an edible product “Hydrox”?

It's a cookie AND a drain cleaner!

by Anonymousreply 113September 12, 2019 5:48 AM

Dromedary Date Nut Bread. You can still try making it from scratch, but I can remember my Mom and I having it for breakfast, toasted a bit and spread with cream cheese.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114September 12, 2019 6:14 AM

Dewey's Lemon Bar Cookies taste just like Sunshine Lemon Coolers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115September 12, 2019 6:29 AM

Target is about to phase out the Archer Farms brand. I LOVE their seasonal pumpkin spice scones and I also like the orange cranberry scones. I am truly saddened by this decision and don't know what I'll do when they're gone. Personally I blame the Target executive who is here on DL. If you're reading, Target executive, know that I curse you and all things Target!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116September 12, 2019 6:32 AM

At one point Glade discontinued their Cashmere Woods air freshener but a campaign brought it back. It is cheap and tacky but I love the scent.

by Anonymousreply 117September 12, 2019 6:34 AM

Flaky Flix cookies by "Mother"

In the late 90s, there was also some "health food" snack company that made a fig newton type cookies but they had a blueberry and raspberry version as well as the fig. They had no high fructose corn syrup and real fruit. Then they were bought out by some corporation and then came the artificial flavors and the HFC. I think they stopped making those altogether.

Unfortunately I can't remember the name but I loved those.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118September 12, 2019 7:40 AM

ConAgra discontinued Derby Tamales years ago. The other brands out there just aren't the same. Tamales were one of the first canned foods in the US, dating back to the Civil War.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119September 12, 2019 7:46 AM

Pizza Cheese. No not pepper jack. It came out in the 70's I think, and was sort of a cheddar flavor with tiny bits of pepperoni and other pizza topping in it. Came sliced like American cheese.

by Anonymousreply 120September 12, 2019 8:27 AM

I remember Pizza Cheese in the early 80s when I was very small. We bought it from a deli down the street.

by Anonymousreply 121September 12, 2019 8:31 AM

OP - Regarding Just Right cereal, I think the still-available Basic 4 cereal by General Foods is a pretty close substitute.

As for me, I still miss Kellog's Concentrate cereal (in the little, gold foil box).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122September 12, 2019 8:49 AM

[quote]Target is about to phase out the Archer Farms brand

Well that's disappointing. I got addicted to the White Chocolate Blueberry scones earlier this year. And I just discovered this Creamed Spinach and Kale dinner that's salty, fatty heaven. I suppose my waistline and arteries will be grateful when they're discontinued.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123September 12, 2019 9:52 AM

R120, we still get that. I’ve never called it pizza cheese, though that makes sense.

We call it “cheese and pepperoni.”

by Anonymousreply 124September 12, 2019 1:40 PM

r116 r123 They're just phasing out the Archer Farms BRAND, not necessarily the products. If they're popular enough, they'll still be available--just rebranded on one of their other store brand names (Good and Gather is the replacement they're adding.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125September 12, 2019 3:35 PM

R87 Hydrox made a comeback not that long ago. LEAF Brands LLC bought the rights to the cookie, and I've seen them on the shelf at Ralphs here in SoCal.

The company is also now suing Oreo (Mondelez International, Inc.) over shelf space issues.

While I don't buy these products, I can attest to the fact that Hydrox appeared almost hidden on the bottom of the cookie shelf with a rows of various Oreos overpowering their placement

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126September 12, 2019 7:22 PM

You can still buy half of the Kellog's shit mentioned on here in the UK.

Just Right cereal is still available and the Raisin Square's are called 'Organic Raisin Wheats'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127September 12, 2019 8:20 PM

I hope you're right r125, because if you're not I fully plan to register my displeasure with you AND your crony the Target executive.

by Anonymousreply 128September 12, 2019 9:21 PM

Yes, The Pumpkin Spice Troll and I *will* need to speak to your manager!

by Anonymousreply 129September 12, 2019 10:55 PM

Howard Johnson's frozen macaroni and cheese and blueberry corn toasties.

by Anonymousreply 130September 13, 2019 12:09 AM

I did like those HoJo blueberry toasties. Thomas's made a version of them (non-frozen), in blueberry, corn and raisin bran flavors. The corn version is still available, but the others were discontinued.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131September 13, 2019 12:17 AM

The original Captain Crunch with Crunch Berries. The berries were pink and went looked very nice amidst the yellow Captain's Crunch. But they changed it, and now they have green, red, blue and purple crunch berries and it looks disgusting. I can't eat it anymore. Green and purple and red and blue crunch berries are unnatural.

by Anonymousreply 132September 15, 2019 4:58 AM

R132 And the various strong chemicals in the different dyes affects the flavor.

by Anonymousreply 133September 15, 2019 5:12 AM

Wize (R) has been claiming forever that they will be bringing back Cheez Waffies. I'm tired of waiting!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134September 15, 2019 5:26 AM

R134, I haven't seen those in stores for years. They used to be available on Amazon, but they aren't there now. Cheez Waffies are the ultimate junk food. They're even junkier and more delicious than Cheetos. Perfect for an occasional white-trash food treat.

Look at it this way: If Wise drops the brand entirely, some version of Cheez Waffies will turn up at the Vermont Country Store ... at 4 times the price, of course.

by Anonymousreply 135September 15, 2019 6:25 AM

Shake-a-Puddin' and Fizzies!

by Anonymousreply 136September 15, 2019 8:48 AM

[quote]some "health food" snack company that made a fig newton type cookies but they had a blueberry and raspberry version as well as the fig.

Nuts dot com has whole wheat raspberry cookies, you might like them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137September 18, 2019 12:16 AM

I didn't realize Doodads were gone. I loved Doodads.

Jello needs to bring this back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138September 18, 2019 12:23 AM

Just realized that Oscar Mayer Sandwich Spread is no longer made.

by Anonymousreply 139December 10, 2019 8:10 PM

Carnation Breakfast Bars, were great, used to have them in the morning, on my way to swimming practice at ungodly hours of the morning. I’d love to taste on of those again, it would instantly transport me back to those days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140December 10, 2019 8:21 PM

The Ladies Home Journal published dandy recipes back in the day. Here is one that was served to our dear Auntie Mame. You just don't find treats like this anymore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141December 10, 2019 8:29 PM

Freshen-up gum (the gum with the yummy liquid inside.)

by Anonymousreply 142December 10, 2019 8:32 PM

A&P Spanish Bar Cake. Dense spice cake with raisins and walnuts, and a thin topping of cream cheese frosting. Here’s a recipe. Perfect with a nice cup of black coffee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143December 10, 2019 9:21 PM

Banquet's Fried Pork Pussy Fritters and Frozen Horse Cocks

by Anonymousreply 144December 10, 2019 9:30 PM

Kellogg's Country Morning—early-'70s hippie-esque "all-natural" cereal. My grandma (who could never get product names quite right) called it "Good Morning Cereal."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145December 10, 2019 9:34 PM

Tangerine Lifesavers

Regal Crown sour hard candy (came in lemon, orange, cherry flavors)

Callard & Bowser butterscotch

by Anonymousreply 146December 10, 2019 10:49 PM

Didn’t realize tangerine Life-Savers were no more, that’s too bad, they were really nice.

by Anonymousreply 147December 10, 2019 11:04 PM

Hamburgers and French fries tasted great in so many places, up to around 1979.

by Anonymousreply 148December 10, 2019 11:37 PM

The Uk has the best selection of confectionery I have ever seen. Every flavour and type imaginable.

by Anonymousreply 149December 10, 2019 11:39 PM

I’ve got great news for you, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150December 11, 2019 12:00 AM

Diet Pepsi Twist (and regular Pepsi Twist)

Entenmann's Walnut or Pecan Danish Rings.

Smoothies (sort of like a Reese's Cup, put out by the people that made Mallo Cups)

Bear with me on this one. I can't remember the name of this cookie product. It was made by Sunshine. It was a super-thin cookie with a crust on top and bottom , with raisin in the middle. There were eight in a pack, four were attached above another four that were attached. You would break one off at a time. I know I'm describing this terribly, but they were delicious.

by Anonymousreply 151December 11, 2019 1:22 AM

Diet Pepsi Twist (and regular Pepsi Twist)

Entenmann's Walnut or Pecan Danish Rings.

Smoothies (sort of like a Reese's Cup, put out by the people that made Mallo Cups)

Bear with me on this one. I can't remember the name of this cookie product. It was made by Sunshine. It was a super-thin cookie with a crust on top and bottom , with raisin in the middle. There were eight in a pack, four were attached above another four that were attached. You would break one off at a time. I know I'm describing this terribly, but they were delicious.

by Anonymousreply 152December 11, 2019 1:22 AM

R152 I feel like the raisin cookie had a commercial I can still sing in my head? It was like "Preak Thins" (or something like that)

Preak Thins are America's favorite cookie If you're a grown up, Or plan to be one- You'll know what we mean.... Preak Thins are America's favorite cookie.

Or maybe I just imagined it?

by Anonymousreply 153December 11, 2019 1:33 AM

R153, thanks, but I don't think that was it. Even though it was in the cookie aisle, this Sunshine product was more like a wafer, but square=shaped.

by Anonymousreply 154December 11, 2019 1:39 AM

Svenhard's apple strudel

by Anonymousreply 155December 11, 2019 1:54 AM

Sealtest brand chocolate ice cream combined with orange sherbet, in the old gold-colored gallon container with brand name in white typeface. My grandmother adored that.

Hell, bring back Sealtest Ice-Cream..! :o

by Anonymousreply 156December 11, 2019 1:57 AM

Kellogg's Corn Soya cereal. For man power!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157December 11, 2019 1:57 AM

Pudding pops

by Anonymousreply 158December 11, 2019 2:01 AM

Ben & Jerry's Wavy Gravy

by Anonymousreply 159December 11, 2019 2:05 AM

For r153

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160December 11, 2019 2:05 AM

Huh R160, that was not at all what I remembered. Guess I'll never be called on as a reliable witness.

by Anonymousreply 161December 11, 2019 2:11 AM

Maypo.

by Anonymousreply 162December 11, 2019 2:14 AM

Well-marbled pork chops with a fat cap, moist and with flavor.

by Anonymousreply 163December 11, 2019 2:16 AM

My mother never bought the Dromedary brand of date nut bread that R114 posted, but she would always get Thomas’s. It was wonderful with cream cheese. About 20 years ago they brought it back for a brief period of time around the holidays.

And, the A&P Spanish Bar Cake that R143 mentioned was also great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164December 11, 2019 2:37 AM

Stouffer's seafood crepes and their blueberry crumb muffins.

Fruit Newtons cranberry /orange/ oat crisps and the blueberry too.

by Anonymousreply 165December 11, 2019 3:09 AM

God yes the 7-UP bar! Last time I had one was in 7th grade at the Charleston Airport when my class went on a field trip (a flight from Savannah to Charleston). It was awesome.

by Anonymousreply 166December 11, 2019 3:11 AM

Ragu Mama's Meat Sauce. The best spaghetti sauce and even better to make lasagna with.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167December 11, 2019 3:17 AM

McDonalds French Fries fried in beef tallow. Much tastier.

by Anonymousreply 168December 11, 2019 3:18 AM

Oatmeal cookie flavor "Cookie Crisp" cereal.

"Fruit Brute" Monster Cereal.

McPIzzas at McDonalds, along with those Premium Chicken Wraps and the Chicken Fajitas. They should also bring back the lemon, blueberry, cherry, and pineapple pies.

Wendy's should bring back those Frescata sandwiches.

Taco Bell should bring back that crispy chicken Crunch wrap thing they had (but please don't call it "ChickStar" ugh)

Hostess Fruit Pies need to bring back the lemon, peach, and berry flavors.

by Anonymousreply 169December 11, 2019 4:22 AM

Lime Skittles - they replaced them with apple flavor a few years ago and it throws the blend off

by Anonymousreply 170December 11, 2019 4:34 AM

General Mills' amazing high tech food of the 70's, Breakfast Squares (you can sign the petition!).

Kellogg's Concentrate.

Betty Crocker's Noodles Romanoff (loyal Americans like Betty could once only dream of having a Russian asset in the White House).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171December 11, 2019 4:41 AM

Recently I found a discontinued favorite had been brought back - Planters Cheez Curls. They were a cheaper, superior alternative to Cheetos and were pretty ubiquitous on drug store shelves for years. But they were discontinued around 10 years ago for whatever reason. Well apparently consumer demand inspired Planters to bring them back but they completely fucked up the recipe. They were absolutely disgusting. I left the can in the kitchen at work and even for free no one ate them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172December 11, 2019 4:44 AM

R172. Planters also reintroduced their cheese balls. I bought them and they were pretty tasteless, not what I remember, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 173December 11, 2019 5:00 AM

R173, that's what I thought when I tried them again recently - they lacked their former pizzazz. I wonder if Planters reduced the salt content. That would do it.

by Anonymousreply 174December 11, 2019 5:06 AM

R146, you can still find Regal Crown Sours on the Vermont Country Store site. They come in cherry and lemon flavors.

by Anonymousreply 175December 11, 2019 5:07 AM

Nabiso Swiss Cheese crackers, Nabisco Twigs

by Anonymousreply 176December 11, 2019 5:10 AM

General Foods International Coffees

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177December 11, 2019 5:29 AM

1) Australian Toaster Biscuits. I forget who made them. They looked like an English crumpet, but had a faint cornbread flavor. You just put them in a toaster, like an English muffin. FUCK, they were tasty!

2) Nestles All-Purpose Cookie Mix. (NOT Krusteaz). My mom used to make chocolate chip cookies with this mix. Today's Nestles chocolate chip cookie mix can't compare with the original.

3) Del Monte hamburger relish. Not to be confused with ordinary pickle relish. The Del Monte relish was red and tasted like the relish used on Bob's Big Boy hamburgers.

4) Sierra Mints. A cookie whose manufacturer I don't recall (maybe Nabisco?) There was a layer of mint over a cookie, topped by dark chocolate. The Girl Scout thin mints are similar, but not the same thing.

5) Molasses cookies. You used to be able to buy molasses cookies just about anywhere, but they seemingly no longer exist. Mother's made a truly wonderful molasses cookie, but no more.

6) Schilling/McCormick tamale pie kit. It had everything, including a tiny can of corn. I can make tamale pie myself, but it was lots easier to make from the kit.

Yeah, I know. I type fat.

by Anonymousreply 178December 11, 2019 6:09 AM

I want my fucking tan M&Ms back

by Anonymousreply 179December 11, 2019 6:21 AM

R178:

3) I remember that stuff. Wasn't it basically ketchup with relish added? I thought Bob's Big Boy sauce was Thousand Island dressing, but I could be mis-remembering.

5) Archway makes molasses cookies. Walmart sells them, among many other supermarkets, so all is not lost. They're soft cookies, though. Maybe you're thinking of something like molasses crisps? I seem to remember them from years ago, but nothing recently.

by Anonymousreply 180December 11, 2019 6:42 AM

Thanks for nothing, R178. Now you've got me on a mission to recreate Newport Creamery's cheeseburger with sweet pepper relish on buttery grilled bread and I've been googling relish for the past half hour.

Del Monte is a combination of cucumber and red bell pepper; no ketchup involved. Cains and Howard's sweet pepper relish are the closest to Del Monte. The latter is available on Amazon. Cains and Del Monte are both made by Gedney, but their store locator doesn't list individual products.

B&G and Cains hamburger relish are both made with cucumber only, plus tomato paste.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181December 11, 2019 8:39 AM

Taco Bell must bring back the Enchirito and the Taco Bell beefer and Taco Bell grande.

Pepperidge Farm croissant pizzas.

Jack in the box Hot Ham and Cheese sandwich with poppyseed bun.

by Anonymousreply 182December 11, 2019 8:51 AM

and...Sara Lee's frozen chocolate walnut brownies in that flat aluminum tray.

by Anonymousreply 183December 11, 2019 8:55 AM

Trisha Paytas's bottled pussy juice.

by Anonymousreply 184December 11, 2019 9:05 AM

Domino's Deep Dish Pizza (not the pan pizza!)

by Anonymousreply 185December 11, 2019 9:39 AM

r151 I remember those Sunshine raisin cookies as well. Are these similar?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186December 11, 2019 12:41 PM

Hamburger Helper’s Rice Oriental.

by Anonymousreply 187December 11, 2019 12:48 PM

It's not a rug, Hamburger Helper!

by Anonymousreply 188December 11, 2019 12:56 PM

Along with Tang and Nestle Quick, I used to get in the pantry and eat that stuff by the spoonful R177. My mom would always tell me "you're gonna get worms!" Hehe. R182 I always have to bring up the Pepperidge Farms Croissant Pizzas in threads like these. Those things were the BOMB!

by Anonymousreply 189December 11, 2019 3:01 PM

Oddly, there is very little about these on the internet. This is the only photo I could find of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190December 11, 2019 3:04 PM

Sunshine Golden Raisin Biscuits R152. Later renamed Sunshine Golden Fruit, when they expanded the line with cranberry and apple, I think. Raisin was the best though. The Garibaldi brand ones currently available from Vermont Country Store and Amazon are a poor substitute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191December 11, 2019 3:16 PM

[quote]Taco Bell must bring back the Enchirito and the Taco Bell beefer and Taco Bell grande.

R182, there's a fast food chain here in Texas called Taco Casa whose menu is basically the old Taco Bell menu, including a version of the Enchirito (Chilada) and the Beefer (Chili Burger). They also have a Taco Lite with a fried flour tortilla shell which Taco Bell also used to have.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192December 11, 2019 3:56 PM

Is there any brand of green goddess salad dressing that actually tastes like green goddess? I haven't had it recently, but the last time I tried the Kraft version, it just tasted like creamy Italian with green food coloring.

by Anonymousreply 193December 11, 2019 4:03 PM

Shirred eggs à la Turque at Delmonico's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194December 11, 2019 5:33 PM

R193 - Annie's Goddess dressing is pretty good...... It has some of that fresh green taste...

by Anonymousreply 195December 11, 2019 7:11 PM

[quote] Another one of these fucking threads? I am so sick of the repeated thread topics every other month. This place is getting so boring.

No one is here to entertain you.

If you've been round so long that you're complaining about repetition in threads over a period of months (not days, nor even weeks, but [italic]months[/italic]), the obvious solution should be to leave.

Bye-bye.

by Anonymousreply 196December 11, 2019 7:23 PM

Space Food Sticks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197December 11, 2019 7:24 PM

R178, I wasn’t lying about being on a mission. I found Del Monte hamburger relish at the second store I tried, so it is out there.

by Anonymousreply 198December 11, 2019 10:16 PM

R197, those were terrible - chalky and flavorless.

by Anonymousreply 199December 11, 2019 10:22 PM

Patrick Duffy and Taco Bell enchiritos

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200December 11, 2019 10:40 PM

[quote]Is there any brand of green goddess salad dressing that actually tastes like green goddess? I haven't had it recently, but the last time I tried the Kraft version, it just tasted like creamy Italian with green food coloring.

Easy enough to make it yourself. Just throw a bunch of green herbs (any combination of parsley, tarragon, watercress, maybe even dill or thyme) with a couple of cloves of garlic and a generous squirt of anchovy paste. Then some sour cream and mayo. Blend it until smooth. To thin it use half & half or cream. Adjust the seasoning and you're good to go. There are hundreds of variations on line if you need a detailed recipe, but they're all quick and easy.

I miss Stouffer's Noodles Romanoff. A lot of the copycat recipes I've found are quite tasty, but none of them really get it right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201December 11, 2019 11:17 PM

r191 I don't think Garibaldi is a brand name -- it's just the name of the cookie (biscuit) that's used in Britain. They're made with currants, and by different manufacturers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202December 11, 2019 11:39 PM

Those Garibaldi biscuits from the Vermont Trading Company are borderline dreadful and are in no way any kind of replacement for Sunshine Golden Raisin Biscuits.

by Anonymousreply 203December 12, 2019 1:34 AM

A lot of what the Vermont Country Store sells as replicas of vintage products are pale imitations, including their co-called classic fragrances.

by Anonymousreply 204December 12, 2019 2:23 AM

Jello Chiffon pudding (lemon and chocolate) A&P Ann Page donut balls Hostess blackberry pies (they used to be a seasonal item)

by Anonymousreply 205December 12, 2019 3:12 AM

1. In the late '80s there was an ice cream my mom used to eat that was more expensive than regular and only came in plastic pints. It was creamier than regular ice cream and I think it was marketed for adults.

2. Shortbread cookies that had chocolate fudge in the middle. I think they were Keebler.

3. Milky Way milkshakes. Shit those were good.

by Anonymousreply 206December 12, 2019 3:41 AM

Remember Bob's Big Boy Hamburgers way back when. Didn't know that's the relish they put on it. Definitely wasn't sweet like most pickle relish but tangy.

by Anonymousreply 207December 12, 2019 3:48 AM

R206. These? They’re still available, if so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208December 12, 2019 3:49 AM

R206, the ice cream was Frusen Glädjé.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209December 12, 2019 3:52 AM

Lime Starburst. They got rid of that ages ago, and that was the last time I bought Starburst.

by Anonymousreply 210December 12, 2019 5:16 AM

Taco Bell needs to bring back the south-west Gordita. So delicious... black beans and corn and south-west sauce in a soft flat-bread.

And the "Chilito" (which they had to rename to the "Chili Cheese Burrito" because the original name was Spanish slang for 'little dick'). That thing should be on their dollar menu.

by Anonymousreply 211December 12, 2019 5:19 AM

Sara Lee Black Forest Cakes. Damn those things were good. Can't find Black Forest Cake anywhere these days.

by Anonymousreply 212December 12, 2019 5:24 AM

Five Alive citrus juice. I don't like the powdery texture in Sunny D.

by Anonymousreply 213December 12, 2019 7:47 AM

The sweeter form of Diet Pepsi.

In 1999, Pepsi rolled it out as Pepsi ONE. Basically, it was Diet Pepsi with double the aspartame, blended with aceK to cancel out the aftertastes and amplify the sweetening power.

Sometime around 2008, they replaced the aspartame with Splenda... at which point it basically tasted so much like "regular" Pepsi, you could give it to someone without telling them it was diet & it would take them a while to figure out that it wasn't quite regular Pepsi.

In 2015, Pepsi discontinued it, and made it the new Diet Pepsi instead.

Two years later, Pepsi decided Splenda was too expensive, and switched back to the 1999 aspartame-based formula for Pepsi ONE (but, thank god, kept the aceK).

Today's Diet Pepsi isn't as bad as Diet Pepsi was prior to 2015, but it's not as good as 2008 Pepsi ONE and 2015-1017 Diet Pepsi, either.

Fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 214December 12, 2019 8:29 AM

I wish Taco Bell made their Mexican Pizzas like they used to. The shells they use now have some type of bitter preservative coating them. I took one bite recently and had to throw it out. Tasted like poison! In the 80s they were soooo yummy. They would cut them in four pieces and include green onions on top. I know, they stopped with the green onions when people started getting the shits and vomits. Also, anyone remember these?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215December 12, 2019 1:40 PM

BBQ Glaze Shake 'N Bake

by Anonymousreply 216December 12, 2019 1:46 PM

I get a Taco Bell Mexican Pizza every week or two. They taste fine.

by Anonymousreply 217December 12, 2019 2:24 PM

R206, I remember those Keebler cookies too. They weren't the sandwich ones.

Lime flavored candy seems to have mostly disappeared. No more lime lifesavers either. But most fruit flavored hard candy tastes like chemicals now anyway.

by Anonymousreply 218December 12, 2019 2:26 PM

Lime was the only good flavor of Starburst (lemon and orange runner ups... the pink ones were gross)

I hoarded lime livesavers. WHY DID THEY PURGE LIMES? THEY WERE THE BEST FLAVOR!

by Anonymousreply 219December 12, 2019 2:29 PM

For a short while, McDonald's had an Omelet McMuffin… it was diced ham, onion, and green pepper in the egg, with cheese, on an English Muffin, and it was delicious. It wasn't around for long, and it never returned, which makes me sad.

by Anonymousreply 220December 12, 2019 2:31 PM

Thanks for that correction R191. These are the Crawford's garibaldis sold by Vermont Country Store and Amazon. They’re ok, but anyone looking for a Sunshine Golden Biscuit replacement will be disappointed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221December 12, 2019 2:33 PM

Nestle's split pea packets for instant soup

by Anonymousreply 222December 12, 2019 2:34 PM

R206 and 218 are you thinking of Magic Middles?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223December 12, 2019 2:40 PM

R215, Ore-Ida makes these microwave french fries that are similar to the Micro Magic version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224December 12, 2019 2:52 PM

^^Sorry, wrong photo. These are the microwave fries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225December 12, 2019 3:06 PM

R223, that's them. Oh they were so good.

by Anonymousreply 226December 12, 2019 3:07 PM

My mother was a thin woman, but she bought whatever diet food that came down the pike. Ergo, I was raised on a steady diet of Figurines Bars and Tab. My favorite of all was ALBA Fit and Frosty. It came in different flavors. It was just a powder you put in the blender with ice and water, but it seemed so fancy to me at the time. Sometimes, it would have recipes on the side for things like bananas dipped in Alba and Grape Nuts and frozen for desert. Of course, my mother would make them for us until she moved on to something else.

I was also going to mention my grandmother always having a box of Stouffer's Welsh Rarebit and a box of their Scalloped Apples on hand. They felt so fancy to me when I was a kid. I just checked an they are both, shockingly enough, still available in some stores. Might have to make a road trip to pick some up.

by Anonymousreply 227December 12, 2019 6:45 PM

R227. I’m surprised Welsh rarebit is still available. I used to love it, bought some not long ago, need to pick it up again.

by Anonymousreply 228December 12, 2019 6:50 PM

Entenman's Blackout Cake

by Anonymousreply 229December 12, 2019 7:18 PM

r227 Did your mother give you Ayds, too?

by Anonymousreply 230December 12, 2019 7:53 PM

I love real strawberries but hate strawberry flavored candy except for Hi-Chew. Whenever my brother and I would go to Wal-Mart to buy Starburst, we'd buy 4-5 different kinds (regular, tropical, sour, fave reds and ???) and we'd divide everything up evenly only he would also get all of the chews that were strawberry flavored. I wish they would bring back the lime starburst and lifesavers.

Whenever I buy a big bag of Hi-Chew I give all of the mango flavored ones to my grandmother because I couldn't stand those either.

by Anonymousreply 231December 12, 2019 10:26 PM

Haagen Dazs Vanilla Fudge ice cream. The best flavor they ever had.

by Anonymousreply 232December 12, 2019 11:49 PM

Its not a food, but I wish they brought back Colgate Luminous toothpaste. My teeth were amazing when that stuff was around.

by Anonymousreply 233December 12, 2019 11:50 PM

Dunkaroos. Salted caramel Pepsi. Mountain Dew Typhoon.

Yes, my blood sugar is out of control.

by Anonymousreply 234December 13, 2019 12:26 AM

R227 I miss those Stouffer's apples too! I cannot find them anywhere in the Chicago area. They were once available everywhere. I've even put them in pie crust before. There was an XL family size I would buy...

by Anonymousreply 235December 13, 2019 12:34 AM

I wish Pepsico would bring back the Diet Pepsi Jazz line - Strawberries &Cream, Caramel Cream, and Black Cherry & French Vanilla flavored Diet Pepsi. I loved those!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236December 13, 2019 1:19 AM

I remember a Pop Tarts-inspired product called Danish-Go-Rounds, or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 237December 13, 2019 1:53 AM

Did they look something like this, R237?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238December 13, 2019 2:07 AM

Yes, R238 , and they were pretty good!

Nobody brought up Quisp and Quake?

by Anonymousreply 239December 13, 2019 2:08 AM

Quisp and Quake to me tasted no different from Cap'n Crunch (all were made by Quaker) and differed only in their shapes. Quisp was brought back a few years ago but seems to mostly be available online, including from Walmart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240December 13, 2019 2:16 AM

When they were new, Quisp and Quake were promoted in commercials with a rivalry between the cereals' respective mascots, each claiming his cereal was better. The Quake mascot started out as some sort of miner (oddly, wearing a cape) but later morphed into an Australian cowboy, or something. Quisp, of course, was a space alien. The original Quake:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241December 13, 2019 2:21 AM

Australian cowboy Quake retained the cape.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242December 13, 2019 2:23 AM

Not a food, but damn I miss Lever 2000 bar soap, and the original scent body wash. Nothing has ever smelled better or made my skin feel better.

by Anonymousreply 243December 13, 2019 4:45 AM

Demi-sec champagne and foie gras. Nobody offers this to guests anymore.

by Anonymousreply 244December 13, 2019 1:11 PM

Dynamints , like Tic Tacs but with different flavors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245December 13, 2019 1:45 PM

Here's another one. There were some type of fruit slushes back in the late '80s. They had them on the shelf either with boxed drinks or canned fruit and they came in individual cups. You would stick them in the freezer and when they were ready to eat, they were like slushes.

by Anonymousreply 246December 13, 2019 2:00 PM

R243, Lever 2000 bar soap is still around but they did something to the formula and it no longer lathers. I bought an 8-pack about a year ago and tossed most of them.

by Anonymousreply 247December 13, 2019 2:30 PM

Pumpkin spice-scented Massengill douche. You used to be able to get it around the holidays, but I haven't seen any in a couple of years.

by Anonymousreply 248December 14, 2019 12:11 AM

Pokemon Fruit Rollups with free Pokemon cards.

by Anonymousreply 249December 14, 2019 12:23 AM

R243, I can't find Lever soap anywhere, just in the past couple months. It just suddenly disappeared. Same with a shampoo I always used called Thicker Fuller Hair.

by Anonymousreply 250December 14, 2019 12:31 AM

Lever 2000 body washes disappeared a couple of years ago, and the bars disappeared this past year.

Which sucks, becaues there's nothing even close to as good as those things were.

The original was the best scent I've ever found.

by Anonymousreply 251December 14, 2019 12:38 AM

This, although one could learn the hard way, at 5, that it should not be consumed orally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252December 14, 2019 1:35 AM

[quote]Lime Starburst. They got rid of that ages ago, and that was the last time I bought Starburst.

[quote]Lime flavored candy seems to have mostly disappeared. No more lime lifesavers either. But most fruit flavored hard candy tastes like chemicals now anyway.

[quote]I hoarded lime livesavers. WHY DID THEY PURGE LIMES? THEY WERE THE BEST FLAVOR!

Lime lovers, I give you this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253December 14, 2019 1:37 AM

The Stouffer apples were sometimes a bit chewy. Haven't seen Welsh Rarebit in ages. The spinach souffle (another perennial that goes back decades) was around until recently.

I didn't think they ever did croissant pizzas, but the french bread pizzas (not bad) were around for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 254December 14, 2019 2:14 AM

Hostess used to have these powdered sugar donuts that were normal size (six to a box I think), that had a ribbon of raspberry filling around the inside of the ring.

Those were fucking DELICIOUS.

by Anonymousreply 255December 14, 2019 2:33 AM

I had forgotten all about those, R255. They were fabulous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256December 14, 2019 3:25 AM

I hope they aren't discontinued but I can't find the Bob Evans breakfast burritos at any of my local stores any more.

by Anonymousreply 257December 14, 2019 4:13 AM

I don't know if anyone will remember this, but back in the mid 80s, KFC had the original "Chicken Littles"... this was way before biscuits, when they had these great yeast dinner rolls. "Chicken Littles" were little squares of flat fried chicken on one of those dinner rolls with a dot of mayo and a pickle. They were two for a dollar, and freakin' amazing.

I miss the KFC dinner rolls, and those damn chicken littles.

by Anonymousreply 258December 14, 2019 4:13 AM

R254, all three products - Stouffer's French Bread Pizza, Welsh Rarebit and Spinach Souffle - are still available in my area (Philadelphia). I know Walmart carries them, and I'm pretty sure Wegmans does, too. I have the Welsh rarebit in my freezer right now.

by Anonymousreply 259December 14, 2019 5:47 AM

OMG, R255. I had completely forgotten about those jelly-filled Hostess donuts. I think we had them in the late 1960s or maybe in the very early 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 260December 14, 2019 5:55 AM

Celeste pizza has been around forever, but no longer has the same taste since they stopped using real cheese. God knows what it's made of now.

by Anonymousreply 261December 14, 2019 9:06 AM

R260, several years ago I found those donuts on one of those sites where you can order rare and regional foods nationwide (the site was something like freshchocodiles.com I think). I ordered a box, at great expense. When they arrived, they were exactly what I remember on the package... but they were stale. Not 'fresh'. And being stale, they weren't very good. Most of them went into the trash.

And I think that was just before the Hostess bankruptcy, and non-union rebirth. NONE of the Hostess products are the same now. And their variety is severely limited now. So I doubt the site actually has them anymore, and if they do, I doubt they're fresh.

Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 262December 14, 2019 3:41 PM

My aunt from Louisiana long craved frozen Home Run Inn (from Chicago) pizzas. Last time she was visiting, I brought her down to the original Home Run Inn for pizza, thought it would be a real treat. She didn't like it!

by Anonymousreply 263December 14, 2019 7:50 PM

A new addition to the list:

Whole Foods' Peach Mango Salsa

Just discontinued.

by Anonymousreply 264December 14, 2019 8:04 PM

r262=Ann Blyth

by Anonymousreply 265December 14, 2019 8:21 PM

[quote]Celeste pizza has been around forever, but no longer has the same taste since they stopped using real cheese. God knows what it's made of now.

Mama Celeste was a CUNT!

by Anonymousreply 266December 14, 2019 8:21 PM

R258, I don’t remember Chicken Littles but I definitely remember when KFC had yeast rolls instead of biscuits. I could have eaten a box of those rolls by myself. Not a biscuit fan.

by Anonymousreply 267December 14, 2019 10:00 PM

Good news! Half the shit people are mentioning on this thread are still around and on sale.

Lever 2000 soap is the latest example.

Honey, your soap just got rebranded. Look harder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268December 14, 2019 11:01 PM

Uncle Ben's Rice Bowls

seemingly went down with the twin towers

by Anonymousreply 269December 14, 2019 11:15 PM

R268, not only is the body wash obviously discontinued (not on that site), but there's no store that carries the bar soap anywhere within 50 miles of me.

So yeah, it's gone. It used to be everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 270December 14, 2019 11:55 PM

Did you even look at that site you linked R268? It’s all one-star reviews from people complaining that the soap has gone to shit. No wonder no one sells it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 271December 15, 2019 12:04 AM

Lever (Unilever) kind of redirected their soap marketing into more specialized stuff -- like the Dove for Men line.

by Anonymousreply 272December 15, 2019 12:16 AM

Nabisco Swiss Cheese Crackers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273December 15, 2019 12:43 AM

Does anyone remember Chicken N Biscuit crackers?

by Anonymousreply 274December 15, 2019 1:51 AM

I love that the Swiss cheese crackers were a nutritious part of the government-sanctioned food pyramid.

by Anonymousreply 275December 15, 2019 2:06 AM

Do you mean Chicken in a Biskit crackers, r274? They're still around. I've seen them my whole life and finally tried them for the first time this year. I'm a total saltaholic but these were so salty they were inedible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276December 15, 2019 2:20 AM

Yeah, they're still at my local grocery store. They're also laden with saturated fat.

Probably the most unhealthy cracker ever invented.

by Anonymousreply 277December 15, 2019 2:55 AM

The fake chicken taste was gross.

by Anonymousreply 278December 15, 2019 3:32 AM

How about Yo Ho Potato Chips? They weren't as salty as the national brands and had a lighter taste.

by Anonymousreply 279December 15, 2019 4:15 AM

One use of Irish Spring and Lever 2000 soap that you haven't mentioned is that it's a known repellent to keep rodents out of your old car while it's in storage over the winter.

by Anonymousreply 280December 15, 2019 4:17 AM

Uncut cock.

by Anonymousreply 281December 15, 2019 4:18 AM

Two products a friend mentioned to me that I haven't seen in years: Devonshire Melba Toast, and Old London Cheeze Waffies.

by Anonymousreply 282December 18, 2019 2:53 AM

Five Alive (citrus juice)

by Anonymousreply 283December 18, 2019 4:24 AM

1-2-3 Jello

by Anonymousreply 284December 18, 2019 11:59 PM

Wendy's Frescata sandwiches should be available every spring/summer. They did them for like one year once, and I've missed them ever since. I got at least two a week while they were available. I almost never eat at Wendy's now.

by Anonymousreply 285December 21, 2019 7:04 AM

Wise still makes cheese waffles, and they’re very good, but not always available. Only some Publix grocery stores in Florida carry them. I haven’t seen them anywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 286December 21, 2019 7:23 AM

These.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287December 21, 2019 7:29 AM

Spreadables

by Anonymousreply 288December 23, 2019 12:30 PM

Sorry if this is a repeat. I couldn't scroll through 288 posts. This was my favorite cereal when I was in high school. It was maple flavored. Delish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289December 23, 2019 12:43 PM

Use to love the separate top can with all the flavorings which I would eat without the beans as a snack.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290December 23, 2019 1:22 PM

Doritos "Taco Flavor".

They brought it back briefly a year or three ago. STILL my favorite Doritos flavor. I think it was the ORIGINAL flavor. But it's not available anywhere near me now.

by Anonymousreply 291December 23, 2019 5:51 PM

R290, I remember those. I loved them, but they've been off the market for decades. I wonder how they would compare to Bush's, which are the best on the market now, I think.

by Anonymousreply 292December 24, 2019 6:23 AM

R291 , those taco flavored Doritos are really good. I did see them back in the stores a few years ago. According to the Doritos website, they are available (Target, Sam's Club, Walmart, etc.). I saw it available on Amazon as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293December 24, 2019 6:50 AM

Honestly, I don't know why companies don't make everything available on Amazon. Just because it doesn't sell in volumes enough to keep them in stores nationwide doesn't mean you can't do small batches for sale on Amazon. I'm sure you'd still make money.

by Anonymousreply 294December 24, 2019 4:10 PM

Unfrosted Pop Tarts. I loved the cinnamon and blueberry flavors. Great warm with a bit of butter or margarine. Very hard td find near me. The frosted ones just take sweet.

by Anonymousreply 295December 24, 2019 8:06 PM

Melted margarine miraculously turns any snack into a gourmet treat!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296December 24, 2019 10:37 PM

I just discovered that Wise Cheez Waffies are no longer available on Amazon, nor is any similar imitation. They haven't been in any store local to me (Philadelphia area) in many years.

Sadness.

by Anonymousreply 297December 24, 2019 11:44 PM

To the poster missing the Bar None, I ordered them from Vermont Country Store, and they're delicious. Fewer peanuts than I remember, but taste the same. They're made in Turkey now. They also taste vaguely reminiscent of Figurines too!

by Anonymousreply 298December 24, 2019 11:57 PM

BLT Lay's chips. I usually don't like the odd flavors they come out with but those were so good, you could actually taste the bacon, bread, and tomato/mayo.

by Anonymousreply 299December 25, 2019 1:06 AM

r229 again, they were actually called "Classic BLT"

by Anonymousreply 300December 25, 2019 1:08 AM

R285, iirc Wendy's Frescata sandwiches were meant to compete with Subway. They were good, but I would ultimately end up ordering a side of fries with them, lol. Also, it was kind of odd for a place known for it's fresh ground beef patties to be selling lunch meat sandwiches.

by Anonymousreply 301December 25, 2019 8:16 AM

Back in the 80s Domino’s Pizza also had fresh deli sandwiches on their menu. I absolutely loved their turkey sub and would order that instead of pizza. They have some sandwiches on their menu now but nothing like the ones back then with fresh lettuce, tomatoes and deli meat.

by Anonymousreply 302December 25, 2019 4:14 PM

I remember those as well, R302! I miss the deli sandwiches.

by Anonymousreply 303December 26, 2019 4:14 PM

I want Taco Bell to bring back the Naked Chicken Chalupa, and the south-west gordita, and the ranchero chicken soft tacos.

by Anonymousreply 304December 28, 2019 7:35 PM

Brach's Mellowcreme bells at Christmas',and Mellowcreme pets at Easter.

by Anonymousreply 305December 28, 2019 7:42 PM

I loved Taco Bells Taco Lite - the shells were flaky and tasty - lol I doubt if the were lite in any sense of the word - besides its coloring..

by Anonymousreply 306January 6, 2020 8:23 AM

Dream Whip.

by Anonymousreply 307January 6, 2020 9:54 AM

Dream Whip is still available. I noticed some in a store recently and was surprised that it's still being sold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308January 6, 2020 3:45 PM

Maybe then I've got the wrong name, r308. This stuff came in a tub, like Cool Whip, but it was more of a pudding consistency.

by Anonymousreply 309January 6, 2020 6:33 PM

Don't know what that would have been, R309. Dream Whip is a powder that you beat into milk to make faux whipped cream. I figured Cool Whip, which requires no actual work and came along later, would have made it obsolete, which is why I was surprised to see that Dream Whip is still sold.

by Anonymousreply 310January 6, 2020 6:37 PM

Whatever happened to the small Chunky chocolate candy with raisins?

by Anonymousreply 311January 6, 2020 6:40 PM

Another vote for Snickers Marathon bar, especially the Low Carb version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312January 6, 2020 6:49 PM

Aha! THIS is what it was, r310!

Cool 'n' Creamy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313January 6, 2020 6:57 PM

r311, You can get Chunky bars in many stores!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314January 6, 2020 6:59 PM

[quote]What ever happened to the small Chunky chocolate candy with raisins?

I still remember Arnold Stang (the voice of Top Cat) doing TV commercials for Chunky. His tag line was "What a chunk of chocolate!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315January 6, 2020 7:01 PM

Open wide for Chunky!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316January 6, 2020 7:09 PM

R311 types chunky.

by Anonymousreply 317January 6, 2020 7:28 PM

I must be living in the wrong area, no Chunky anywhere to be found.

How about Nabisco's square raisin cookies?

And Mallowmars?

And the thin, wafer-weight Melody chocolate cookies with a light sprinkle of sugar on the top?

Are Hydrox, far superior to Oreos, are they still out there? Because none of these are available in my area.

I would get into shortbread comparisons, but we'd need a new thread for that.

by Anonymousreply 318January 6, 2020 7:55 PM

R317 - What ARE you talking about?!

by Anonymousreply 319January 6, 2020 7:56 PM

Dream Whip predated Cool Whip.

by Anonymousreply 320January 6, 2020 8:50 PM

The Dream Whip discussion made me recall a product from the 80s I loved: La Creme whipped topping. It was a competitor for Cool Whip made with real cream. So good and soooo much better than Cool Whip! I used to sneak spoonfuls from the fridge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321January 6, 2020 9:08 PM

FAT WHORES PROTEST!

by Anonymousreply 322January 6, 2020 9:13 PM

Dream Whip predated Cool Whip. Chains like CVS sell Chunkies. What's no longer around are the very small ones.

by Anonymousreply 323January 6, 2020 10:13 PM

[quote]Dream Whip predated Cool Whip.

Which is what I said at R310.

by Anonymousreply 324January 6, 2020 10:44 PM

There used to be a bundt cake mix for a chocolate cake with a macaroon ring in it when I was a kid. I loved that cake and wish they still made that. It was the only box mix cake I ever liked.

by Anonymousreply 325January 6, 2020 10:56 PM

If you're near a Cracker Barrel, check it out for hard to find candy.

by Anonymousreply 326January 7, 2020 1:02 AM

Nabisco Marshmallow Cookies.

Someone mentioned Snow-Balls.

by Anonymousreply 327January 7, 2020 1:10 AM

R325- I vaguely remember that!!!

It was like a coconutty center, not that dissimilar to a Snow Ball??

It was probably made by who ever made that Tunnel of Fudge Bundt Cake-

Pillsbury?

by Anonymousreply 328January 7, 2020 1:15 AM

R338, yes, it was Pillsbury. Unfortunately they stopped making it. Some people online have tried to imitate it but I haven’t tried the recipes to see if they are close.

by Anonymousreply 329January 7, 2020 1:54 AM

Hostess Blackberry Pies--not as excessively sweet as the cherry pies

by Anonymousreply 330January 7, 2020 2:08 AM

Reddi-Whip (canned spray whipped cream) used to have a bunch of flavors.

You can still sometimes find Chocolate Reddi-Whip.

But my favorite was Amaretto Reddi-Whip. It was around for less than a year, back in the early 90s I think. It was DELICIOUS.

by Anonymousreply 331January 7, 2020 3:03 AM

I've noticed that you can often find "hard to find" candy bars at the Dollar General stores. I have noticed Zero Bars, Chunky, and Hundred Thousand Dollar bars there. They might have others as I really just glanced.

by Anonymousreply 332January 7, 2020 3:09 AM

Hershey's Take 5 was the best candy bar ever. I rarely see it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 333January 7, 2020 3:10 AM

R318, Mallmars are only available in the Winter as they use real chocolate on the outside. They don't ship in refrigerated trucks. Finding them in warm weather climates like CA may make them difficult to find. I worked for Nabisco from '89 to '99.

The Raisin Bars were discontinued. For some reason, they weren't as popular as those nasty-ass Chicken in a Biskit crackers.

I miss the small cookies that came in a box shaped like Animal Cracker but they stood up on the narrow end. They made chocolate and chocolate chip.

Lastly, I really miss the German Chocolate cookies they used to make. They, of course, had coconut oil in them. When palm oil became the devil they were discontinued.

by Anonymousreply 334January 7, 2020 8:53 PM

R311 & other Chunky lovers, try the German Choceur 'Friut & Nut' bar from Aldi. Even better than Chunky, similar flavour profile.. raisins, almond, and hazelnuts.

by Anonymousreply 335January 7, 2020 9:44 PM

^Fruit & Nut

by Anonymousreply 336January 7, 2020 9:46 PM

Frosted Dutch Apple Pop Tarts. The real taste of Coke, McDonalds' fries, and Royal Farm Chicken.

by Anonymousreply 337January 7, 2020 11:00 PM

WTF is a Mallmar?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338January 7, 2020 11:09 PM

Just Right cereal is still available. I bought a box last week. And it’s half gone.

by Anonymousreply 339January 7, 2020 11:37 PM

That's just not right, r339.

by Anonymousreply 340January 7, 2020 11:41 PM

10 lbs overweight BITCH here, and huge Mallomars fan!!!

My store ran out of Mallomars so I bought those Canadian Whippets, they tasted like BALLS!!!!!

The chocolate was HORRIBLE.

Mallomars have that decent quality dark chocolate coating that has a perfect texture for the cookie. They actually taste like a quality product (Far better than those Pinwheels too)

Those Canadian Old Man Dirty Ball Whippets taste like wax. Absolutely horrible.

I threw the rest out for the birds and this bird told me I have SHIT taste in cookies.

by Anonymousreply 341January 8, 2020 12:59 AM

Whatever happened to Snackwell's Yogurt? They had about a half dozen varieties of chocolate flavored yogurt.....delicious!

by Anonymousreply 342January 8, 2020 1:43 AM

Cookie Crisp cereal had an Oatmeal Cookie flavor for one summer back in the 70s. It was AWESOME. I went through a box a week. Loved it. Then it was discontinued and I never ate Cookie Crisp cereal again.

Dammit, now I want some.

There are people who don't even believe me that it existed, but it was AWESOME.

by Anonymousreply 343January 8, 2020 5:50 AM

Sara Lee Chocolate Brownies . . . have not seen them in many years . . . now indulge in their Carrot Cake.

by Anonymousreply 344January 8, 2020 6:00 AM

I miss noodles Romanoff...

by Anonymousreply 345January 8, 2020 6:01 AM

Many years ago, Birdseye used to offer Cool 'n Creamy, a frozen chocolate pudding in a Cool Whip type container that you would thaw and serve.

It was delicious. Haven't seen it in decades.

by Anonymousreply 346January 8, 2020 6:09 AM

Cool 'n Creamy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347January 8, 2020 6:10 AM

Martha White brownie mix was the BEST! It was fudgy chocolate goodness. Most other mixes are too 'cakey'.

by Anonymousreply 348January 8, 2020 6:18 AM

Speaking of Mallomars, does anyone remember a cookie that was like a Mallomar but had a layer of jam between the cookie and the marshmallow? I remember they were delicious, but I don't remember the name. Haven't seen them in years.

by Anonymousreply 349January 8, 2020 6:40 AM

Lemon Coolers from Sunshine Biscuits

by Anonymousreply 350January 8, 2020 6:42 AM

Comrade Betty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351January 8, 2020 6:53 AM

Comrade Betty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352January 8, 2020 6:53 AM

I used to buy cookies that were marshmallow with jam in between 2 soft wafers. They disappeared in the early 2000's. I did find something similar in a Mexican cookie (made by Nabisco) but it's not as good.

by Anonymousreply 353January 8, 2020 8:45 AM

Baldwin Hill Bakery sourdough bread. Amazing. Just wheat, salt and spring water, IIRC. Dense, dark and delicious. The best bread I ever ate. It was only available in health food stores.

I would have liked to try pumpkin spice Spam, just to say I did.

by Anonymousreply 354January 8, 2020 9:39 AM

Le Menu frozen dinners.

by Anonymousreply 355January 8, 2020 9:44 AM

I remember my mother kept the plates they included in those Le Menu meals

by Anonymousreply 356January 8, 2020 9:55 AM

R302 reminded me of Little Caesar's sandwiches from back in the late 80s. Goddamn, those things were tasty. The bread was a bit oily, but the Italian was a fatty fat fat's dream.

Their pizza was just "not very good " back then, as opposed to the unmitigated horror it is now.

by Anonymousreply 357January 8, 2020 10:13 AM

A lot of you miss sugary processed garbage.

by Anonymousreply 358January 8, 2020 10:24 AM

Reese: I can't do it. I can't go on.

Mr. Waffles: Is this any way to start your morning?

Reese: Mr. Waffles?

Mr. Waffles: Reese, you can't give up! You got to keep going. You got to keep trying.

Reese: You don't know what I've been through! I've been shot at, chased, married! And when the guy found out I was a dude, it wasn't like a *total* deal breaker!

Mr. Waffles: Son, I know it's hard.Everything worth doing is hard. When third quarter profits were down, did Mr. Waffles give up? No, he did not. He put more lip-smacking delight in every bite!

Reese: I don't think I can move.

Mr. Waffles: You have to move, Reese. You have to get home to your family and friends and your country. These people have no idea what breakfast is. They take rice from the night before and cook it up into a thin paste. Is that your idea of breakfast?

Reese: No, but...

Mr. Waffles: Do you ever want to taste my buttery goodness again?

Reese: You know I do.

Mr. Waffles: Reese, listen to me. I now have 20% more blueberries in every box.

Reese: My legs...

Mr. Waffles: They plump up in the batter!

Reese: They're so juicy that way! I'm coming home!

Mr. Waffles: I'm proud of you, son.

Reese: Whatever happened to Mrs. Waffles? She was hot.

Mr. Waffles: Yes, she was. But she didn't increase product awareness in girls 3 to 18 a single percent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359January 8, 2020 10:26 AM

I want mt Maypo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360January 8, 2020 1:39 PM

[quote]A lot of you miss sugary processed garbage.

And your point is?

by Anonymousreply 361January 8, 2020 3:09 PM

[quote]Speaking of Mallomars, does anyone remember a cookie that was like a Mallomar but had a layer of jam between the cookie and the marshmallow? I remember they were delicious, but I don't remember the name. Haven't seen them in years.

I definitely remember them, and also haven't seen them in years. The only version that seems to exist today are the dreaded Whippets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362January 8, 2020 3:21 PM

Byrd Cookie Company makes the best lime cooler cookies and lemon cooler cookies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363January 8, 2020 3:22 PM

I bought these Dulion Lemon Straws at Marshall's. They were good.

They make Lime Cookie Straws, too.

Trader Joe's has Lime Cooler Cookies that are pretty good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 364January 8, 2020 3:28 PM

Laudanum

by Anonymousreply 365January 8, 2020 6:42 PM

R363 I wandered into the Byrd Cookie factory down south years and years ago, tasted some samples, and have ordered them every Christmas since. They're most famous for their key lime cookies, but my personal favorite is Benne Wafers.

by Anonymousreply 366January 9, 2020 2:05 AM

r363 / r364 = missing the point of the thread

by Anonymousreply 367January 9, 2020 3:27 AM

R367 Smart ass. People were complaining that Sunshine Lemon Coolers weren't being made. I told people about Lemon Coolers still for sale that are just as good and even better than the Sunshine ones.

by Anonymousreply 368January 9, 2020 3:36 AM

Sara Lee Black Forest Cake.

by Anonymousreply 369January 9, 2020 3:54 AM

Quaaludes. Just kidding.

Velveeta "cheese": Yes, it's still available. But somewhere along the way, it has changed. I used to make stovetop mac (yes, "mac") and cheese with elbow macaroni, whole milk, Velveeta and black pepper. Now, when I try to make that, it tastes like nail polish remover (or the smell of nail polish remover).

I didn't grow up with the Kraft blue box and I don't need to start eating that now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370January 9, 2020 6:06 AM

R370, the ingredients of today's Velveeta are radically different from those in the "cheese spread" box you posted. The article below describes the changes over the years. Note particularly the change in ingredients from a few wholesome dairy products to a veritable chemistry lab of preservatives. That explains why the stuff you bought years ago had to be refrigerated even before opening while Velveeta today does not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371January 9, 2020 6:47 AM

Thanks for posting that, R371. I know nostalgia sometimes makes you miss something that wasn't that good. In this case, though, Velveeta really was better before.

by Anonymousreply 372January 9, 2020 6:59 AM

[quote]I didn't grow up with the Kraft blue box and I don't need to start eating that now.

They should bring back the fluorescent orange.

Because otherwise what is the point?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373January 9, 2020 9:11 AM

Roman Meal

Because a new generation should be forced to start their day with the most vile mush imaginable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 374January 9, 2020 9:28 AM

Roman Meal cereal is still available on Amazon. I had never heard of it, although I am familiar with Roman Meal bread, also still available.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375January 9, 2020 12:59 PM

R336, See r313!

by Anonymousreply 376January 9, 2020 1:03 PM

Sorry, meant r346 (and r347): See r313!

by Anonymousreply 377January 9, 2020 1:07 PM

Sorry, meant r346 (and r347): See r313!

by Anonymousreply 378January 9, 2020 1:07 PM

Ben and Jerrys Apple Crumble and Festivus ice cream - so fucking good.

by Anonymousreply 379January 9, 2020 1:09 PM

I haven't seen Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Cherry Garcia FroYo in ages. That was always my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 380January 9, 2020 2:40 PM

"My store ran out of Mallomars so I bought those Canadian Whippets, they tasted like BALLS!!!!!"

Yes, but the question remains: whose balls? There's a big difference.

by Anonymousreply 381January 9, 2020 2:43 PM

Frozen yogurt, generally, seems to have disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 382January 9, 2020 2:52 PM

R382, Dannon used to make a raspberry yogurt pop dipped in dark chocolate. It was perfect due to the tartness of the raspberry yogurt with dark chocolate. Sadly, it wasn't around very long.

by Anonymousreply 383January 9, 2020 5:19 PM

r382 could it have something to do with all the dairy alternative ice creams on the market with almond milk, cashew milk, soy etc.?

by Anonymousreply 384January 9, 2020 7:46 PM

Frozen yogurt actually had an explosion of popularity: Pinkberry, Yogurtland, Tutti Frutti, etc. (Those are California- or Arizona-based.) The popularity has died down, though.

by Anonymousreply 385January 9, 2020 7:55 PM

Kemp's Frozen Yogurt used to be everywhere, but now I can't find it.

Speaking of frozen "foods", there used to be an ice cream for cats called Cat's Claws. Although Frosty Paws for dogs is around, the cat ice cream has disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 386January 10, 2020 2:18 AM

R380 CHerry Garcia Froyo is carried in Fairway , Pioneer, and other grocery stores in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 387January 10, 2020 2:23 AM

I wish that ice milk would come back. And no, it wasn't just low-fat ice cream. It was different.

My current favorites are Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia Froyo and Yasso Chocolate Mint Frozen Yogurt bars.

by Anonymousreply 388January 10, 2020 2:26 AM

My mother monitored very closely what I ate, I was a chubby kid but thanks to watching my diet I was average sized in junior high/high school. When we used to see the Hostess pies commercials I told my mom I wanted one and she told me that they were just junk. So once I got my driver's license straight to 7 Eleven I went to buy the junk I always wanted to try, including Hostess Pies. I don't know if it was because I wasn't as picky back then but I had a Hostess Pie recently and it was nasty, it's too bad they changed.

by Anonymousreply 389January 10, 2020 2:31 AM

Hostess went out of business and its products are now made by a different company. They're all pretty bad compared with the originals, from what I've heard.

by Anonymousreply 390January 10, 2020 3:54 AM

The Girl Scouts are introducing a new lemon cookie this year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391January 10, 2020 1:28 PM

How are those different from the "Lemonades" they already have?

by Anonymousreply 392January 10, 2020 2:13 PM

Will the Girl Scouts' new cookie taste like shampoo?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393January 10, 2020 3:14 PM

Big Time candy bars. And all the other Hollywood candy bars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394January 31, 2020 3:47 PM

r394 I'm 67 and don't remember those. Were they regional? What time period?

by Anonymousreply 395January 31, 2020 4:48 PM

We/re the same age, R395. I remember Hollywood candy bars being widely available in the '50s and early '60s. I'm pretty sure it was a national brand. The company was sold in 1967 and, from what I can gather, it's various candy bars began to disappear from the market. In addition to Big Time (similar to Snickers), Hollywood made Pay Day, which is still sold today, although made by a different company. Its other bars included Zero, Milk Shake (similar to Milky Way), Sno-King and Hollywood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396January 31, 2020 5:32 PM

[quote]it's various candy bars began to disappear

I must "oh, dear" myself. I never make that mistake!

by Anonymousreply 397January 31, 2020 5:36 PM

r396 I remember Zero and Milk Shake (as well as Pay Day) but not Big Time, Hollywood or Sno-King.

by Anonymousreply 398January 31, 2020 6:52 PM

Bird’s Eye, Wisconsin Style vegetables

Guacamole Doritos

Oscar Mayer cheese dogs. The ones in the stores now include chicken. Chicken does not belong in hot dogs.

by Anonymousreply 399January 31, 2020 7:33 PM

Sausage Waffles Cereal. It was waffle flavored little crinkle bits imbedded with sort of crunchy dried sausage bits. I remember eating them for breakfast when I was about 7.

by Anonymousreply 400January 31, 2020 9:26 PM

That sounds like a truly bizarre cereal flavor, R400. Then again, you can now get Bob Ross cereal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401February 1, 2020 12:13 AM

The various Hollywood candies would turn up at Halloween---Zero was pretty common. My guess was that they were cheap but required a little effort to find.

by Anonymousreply 402February 1, 2020 3:17 AM

These are very recent - Yoplait's French style yogurt - "Petites Ouis with Chocolate." This was the best yogurt. Not too sweet, and really rich chocolate. Our grocery store could not keep them in stock. I wonder if they were too expensive to produce and not worth it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403February 1, 2020 2:58 PM

I have not seen Orange Vanilla Coke since summer. I hope they bring it back this year, along with Cherry Vanilla Diet Dr. Pepper.

by Anonymousreply 404February 1, 2020 3:00 PM

Archer Farms Chocolate Chunk Granola was so good on vanilla yogurt. I have to check if the new Target brand carries something similar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405February 1, 2020 3:00 PM

Spatini used to be in every grocery store. You can still find it online, but it's not the same. Add the spice mix to plain tomato sauce, and you had a fabulous spaghetti sauce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406February 1, 2020 3:02 PM

Since I was a closet case fat boy EATING my fear and shame.

I still dream about those Pepperidge Farm Croissant Pizzas.

And in New England, there were 2 products around in the 92-94 era.

Trio's Pasta Sauce- It was in the refrigerated section and it was like that expensive Contadina Pasta Sauce that sat above the "Fresh" Contadina Ravioli. I want to say it was from Boston, possibly a restaurant. It was in that small 8 ounce plastic case. I have never tasted a pasta sauce so delicious since.

And there was this short lived frozen pizza called "Bravo" (I THINK) It was amazing. It was like the first gourmet frozen supermarket pizza I have ever had.

I recall an Italian Flag on it, and then pictures of the founders? It was SO Good and disappeared after a year.

by Anonymousreply 407February 1, 2020 6:24 PM

Strawberry milkshake flavor poptarts. Ate them every morning in high school!

by Anonymousreply 408February 1, 2020 7:38 PM

Strawberry milkshake Pop Tarts are back, R408.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 409February 1, 2020 11:48 PM

Nice! I guess I'll be making a trip to the store! They better not have changed them.

by Anonymousreply 410February 3, 2020 5:01 PM

If your local stores don't carry them, I noticed that they're available online, R410. Stock up before they disappear again!

by Anonymousreply 411February 3, 2020 6:01 PM

Pepsi Blue. Loved it!

Chunky candy. A square piece of chocolate embedded with nuts and raisins.

Callard & Bowser liquorice toffees.

Viennetta ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 412February 3, 2020 6:17 PM

I miss Entenmanns Coconut Custard Pie and French Style Cheesecake. Also they would have a Walnut Maple Cake a few times a year

by Anonymousreply 413February 3, 2020 6:22 PM

Loved Jeno's pizza trays as a kid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414February 3, 2020 6:29 PM

Another favorite childhood pizza snack

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 415February 3, 2020 6:32 PM

Use to always carry one of these around in my shirt pocket as a kid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 416February 4, 2020 2:47 PM

r414, you brought back a pleasant memory. My grandparents always kept some of those in the freezer for us when we wanted a snack.

by Anonymousreply 417February 4, 2020 9:04 PM

Chunky is waxier than I remember it.

by Anonymousreply 418February 8, 2020 3:23 AM

Franco American canned spaghetti.

by Anonymousreply 419February 8, 2020 11:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!