Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Yang Gets The Media Cold Shoulder

Great piece from Axios

Yang polls very highly and raises a lot of money but it seems the media is not really sure what to make of him.

He's the real ringer in this race-- Yang has some very out there ideas (UBI) but he's one of the only candidates who seems to really understand the degree to which technology has already affected the economy and will further blow things up and how to deal with it.

His #YangGang guys could be this election's BernieBros. (And in fact it seems many are ex-BernieBos)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93September 20, 2019 2:02 PM

Yang's policy website.

He's got a lot of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 3, 2019 5:06 PM

[quote]Yang polls very highly

Where? He can't break that 3% no matter what he does.

[quote]he's one of the only candidates who seems to really understand the degree to which technology has already affected the economy and will further blow things up and how to deal with it

He said most of the jobs are going to be automated tomorrow, when we already know now that automation isn't going to be that quick of a process and other jobs will fill the void, as has been true in the past. His solution to climate change - move to higher grounds. His solution to the immigration crisis - stop talking about sob stories and focus on model minorities like him instead. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 2September 3, 2019 5:08 PM

Yang isn't going to happen.

Should drop out.

by Anonymousreply 3September 3, 2019 5:08 PM

Don't see "move to higher ground" anywhere on this R2. Sounds like everyone else's policies, TBH

[quote] Climate change is an existential threat to humanity and our way of life. It should be a top priority of the federal government to implement policies to control anthropogenic climate change while working with other governments to implement these policies throughout the world.

[quote] It’s important to regulate fossil fuels, both to control climate change and to improve the health of the average American. Renewable energy must be invested in, not only as a means of moderating climate change but also to drive economic growth. However, innovation must also be relied on to reverse the damage already caused.

[quote] While the role of the federal government is important, much of the work will be done at the state, or even neighborhood, level. The federal government should support local efforts through funding and market-based incentives.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 3, 2019 5:18 PM

My issue with Yang is that his policy virtually say we’ve already lost the fight so hear is a check. At a time when blue collar workers basically turned against the Dems due to automation and exporting jobs overseas, do we really want to take on Yang’s message that many other industries are doomed to failure? In 10 years his ideas may be necessary, but for now I want to hear people talk about creating new jobs, not national welfare in the form of UBI.

A President can only get one, maybe two major accomplishments. If UBI is dead on arriv, but if he magically made it happen then I don’t think there will be enough financial or politics capital to tackle healthcare, election reform, and infrastructure.

by Anonymousreply 5September 3, 2019 5:24 PM

Also see nothing about sob stories and focusing on model minorities R2. His immigration policies are not dissimilar from the other candidate's policies:

[quote] Rounding up and deporting that many people is a nonstarter—it would be prohibitively expensive, disruptive, and inhumane to many communities, so a pathway to citizenship must be provided (after securing our southern border, so that we don’t end up right back where we started). However, this pathway must reflect the fact that these individuals tried to circumvent our legal immigration system. It’s even more important to get this right when citizenship guarantees a Freedom Dividend

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 3, 2019 5:26 PM

He’s a spoiler candidate the alt right is propping up. He’s against minim wage increases. He is NEVER going to get the nomination especially because he has zero personality and no one wants to hear an Asian business man lecture all of us about math. Next.

by Anonymousreply 7September 3, 2019 5:27 PM

He is probably just a guy that thinks he can be president r7, I’m sure he has good intentions.

by Anonymousreply 8September 3, 2019 5:34 PM

"...no one wants to hear an Asian business man lecture all of us about math. Next."

In other words, you and your racist friends don't like him.

by Anonymousreply 9September 3, 2019 5:42 PM

Axios is a right-wing-leaning/libertarian-esque site.

by Anonymousreply 10September 3, 2019 5:53 PM

Axios is a right-wing-leaning/libertarian-esque site.

by Anonymousreply 11September 3, 2019 5:53 PM

R4 I'll try to find a source but I, too, heard Yang call for moving to higher ground and I found it profoundly refreshing. His underlying point is that Republican climate change deniers are putting vulnerable coastal populations at risk so fucking "move to higher ground" because right wingers care more about denying global warming than they do about fellow citizens drowning. Kind of like how gun nuts care more about open access to semi-automatic rifles than they do about dead bullet-riddled kindergarteners.

by Anonymousreply 12September 3, 2019 8:30 PM

Yang made the comment about moving to higher ground during one of the debates. It told me that he hadn't given a critical issue much thought--if you think climate change is inevitable, then tell me how we're going depopulate Florida, the third-largest state. How do we handle California--just let the Central Valley become an inland sea or looking into ways of creating a dike across the Golden Gate?

He was dismissive because climate change because he's a single-issue candidate--UBI, UBI, UBI.

Well, there's a lot more to the presidency than a single issue. So, no, a 3 percent candidate with a particular issue doesn't merit a ton of attention.

by Anonymousreply 13September 3, 2019 8:40 PM

I'm curious how many articles Axios and Politico has run on him, too (considering they are highly similar).

by Anonymousreply 14September 3, 2019 9:46 PM

R13

I know, right? Jesus Christ! Mother Nature and climate change are both super fucking annoying. Like, those of us on the FL and Cali coast have nice houses and stuff! So we're gonna, like, need people to stop scaring us and talking about rising sea levels, global warming, and other crazy silly stuff that some scientist is just gonna have to fix. OMG! That's what they're paid to do. Annoying----

by Anonymousreply 15September 3, 2019 9:48 PM

R13 The fact that there are a lot of people in Florida and California is, I'm sorry to say, not going to stop the oceans from swallowing the coasts. You posed this odd question which I'm afraid speaks to your lack of understanding: "If you think climate change is inevitable, then tell me how we're going to depopulate Florida... [and] California." First of all, I'm an environmental scientist not a population displacement expert. Secondly, the fact that FEMA has no plan for mass coastal evacuation is not going to stop the next catastrophic event. So, I appreciate your concern for coastal communities and I wish we could stop it but you're a day late and a dollar short. It's happening and it's here.

by Anonymousreply 16September 3, 2019 10:10 PM

R16, Climate change affects way more than coastal communities. The Central Valley isn't on the coast, it's inland. It's also flat. It's also surrounded by mountains.

In other words, Sacramento is at greater risk of flooding as the result of sea-level rise than San Francisco. Now, because the SF Bay is the one gap in the coastal range and the Golden Gate is only a couple of miles across; it should be possible to prevent the Central Valley (aka a major supplier of food for the world) from being turned into an inland sea.

Someone who was up on climate change would know that instead of babbling about moving to higher ground.

California, Texas, the entire South and, of course, Florida all face major issues from climate change--moving to "higher ground" is a non-answer.

And, by the way, there's a LOT we can do--at the very least plant a lot more trees, since they're efficient carbon sinks. Get China and the U.S. to drastically curb carbon emissions. The U.S. since it's, by far, the world's largest economy is in position to do it.

And it's not about FEMA FFS--FEMA's for emergencies--if climate change is a lost cause, then we need to start thinking about shutting down entire regions (aka Florida and the Gulf Coast) that will be underwater.

By the way, if you're a scientist how do you not know about the major geographic differences between Florida and California? One's got a bunch of mountains; the other's flat as a pancake and is already having massive flooding from three sides and underneath?

by Anonymousreply 17September 3, 2019 11:27 PM

R17 Well you told me, dintcha? . I don't engage with nonsensical banter on stupid forums with uninformed know-it-alls. So you win. I'm wrong. Good luck while getting pulled into the depths of the sea along with your well appointed and very desirable waterfront property. You're going down, sweetie. It's coming for you. I'll be on higher ground and you can laugh at me for a being a climate quack while you're treading floodwater.

by Anonymousreply 18September 4, 2019 12:12 AM

R18, Yes, I did tell you. I think it's also clear that you're a troll, which is also interesting in what it says about Yang's support.

by Anonymousreply 19September 4, 2019 4:06 AM

Haha. R17 called the know-it-all faux "environmental scientist" out and he immediately backs down and slinks away to the troll farm from whence he came.

by Anonymousreply 20September 4, 2019 4:33 AM

Yep, not a scientist and not an American. Couldn't even keep its persona straight. Probably a newbie troll, just getting started.

by Anonymousreply 21September 4, 2019 4:59 AM

[quote]His #YangGang guys could be this election's BernieBros. (And in fact it seems many are ex-BernieBos)

So, lazy, sexist, entitled, young white men. Not surprising.

by Anonymousreply 22September 4, 2019 5:20 AM

I really like him and if he stays in the race I may vote for him.

by Anonymousreply 23September 4, 2019 5:23 AM

Not interested.

Next!

by Anonymousreply 24September 4, 2019 5:24 AM

Yang is a fucking idiot. He's not qualified. He constantly says disqualifying things. He has no business running. He needs to drop the fuck out.

by Anonymousreply 25September 4, 2019 5:25 AM

I want to see Yang's wang.

by Anonymousreply 26September 4, 2019 5:34 AM

Gross. No.

by Anonymousreply 27September 4, 2019 5:36 AM

He's a salesman. They are a dime-a-dozen in Silicon Valley.

There has always been something superficial and false about his presentation.

by Anonymousreply 28September 4, 2019 12:19 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 29September 5, 2019 4:38 PM

I don't understand the shills for Dem. candidates polling in single digits. I am not saying they have no future...just not on this particular track.

by Anonymousreply 30September 5, 2019 4:47 PM

They've decided that this is Their candidate, and will grouse and grumble about everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 31September 5, 2019 7:09 PM

He's an idiot with no experience. He has be interviewed. I have seen these interviews. What is up with the association between libertarians and stupidity?

Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren are the smartest people in the room. Biden has name recognition because he was obama's VP.

by Anonymousreply 32September 5, 2019 7:23 PM

He's only running to set up speaking gigs after the race when he drops out so he can line his own pockets.

by Anonymousreply 33September 5, 2019 7:40 PM

Warren's smart. I don't think Bernie is. He just yells and doesn't really get much done.

by Anonymousreply 34September 5, 2019 7:40 PM

R32 conveniently forgets that Kamala Harris is smarter and more accomplished and experienced than either Bernie or Warren.

Funny how everyone just ignores the woman of color.

by Anonymousreply 35September 5, 2019 11:40 PM

And the #KamalaIsMyDiva Troll makes its return.

by Anonymousreply 36September 5, 2019 11:44 PM

How does just stating an obvious fact make one a 'diva' or a 'troll'?

by Anonymousreply 37September 5, 2019 11:52 PM

Personality of a lawn mower.

by Anonymousreply 38September 5, 2019 11:57 PM

Yang has truly outside the mainstream ideas. The media simply can't deal. Even "weird" has a very narrow bandwidth in this country. Every idea has to be very, very, very slightly off the mainstream or the media just falls apart. Universal Basic Income? Surely, you mean throwing a few pennies to the poor, even they jump through 100 hoops, but mostly just going along with massive income inequality, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 39September 5, 2019 11:59 PM

Every knee will bow to President Yang.

by Anonymousreply 40September 6, 2019 12:01 AM

ya know, having Omarosa join his campaign would not hurt at this point

by Anonymousreply 41September 6, 2019 12:15 AM

R34, Kamala Harris has yet to serve a full term in the Senate. Both Warren and Sanders have served multiple terms. Harris has never served in a legislative body before. One of my big issues with her is her lack of experience. She was California's AG--and far from her history being ignored, it's been a sticking point with Black voters who don't trust her as a result.

Let me know when Harris crafts and pushes through a major piece of legislation. Bernie, too, for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 42September 6, 2019 12:21 AM

Damn, even this thread can't deal with Yang. What a pain in the ass it must be to know everyone will just fall back on the usual nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 43September 6, 2019 12:23 AM

[quote]Harris has never served in a legislative body before.

She's not running for a Legislative Body position. She's running for an administrative position. And she has AMPLE experience and qualifications in that regard.

Obama didn't serve an entire term either, and he was amazing as President.

It's like you're just trying to MAKE UP excuses to not like Harris. It's really... weird.

by Anonymousreply 44September 6, 2019 12:50 AM

Plenty of time. Hope for her sake, Kamala does better in next debate. She kinda sucked last one, but there are many more. I assume she'll still be in this thing when we're down to five.

by Anonymousreply 45September 6, 2019 12:53 AM

She kicked ass in the Climate thing on CNN this week, R45. Came off better than any of the others.

Biden was the worst.

by Anonymousreply 46September 6, 2019 12:59 AM

"And that is MISS Kamala Devi Harris to you R45! She is a D-I-V-A, Diva!!! She is going to be absolutely FIERCE in her next debate. You just wait and see!!"

by Anonymousreply 47September 6, 2019 1:05 AM

I'd be fine with that. Something! (Still will probably vote for Warren, but don't mind Kamala.)

by Anonymousreply 48September 6, 2019 1:20 AM

R44, I've followed Kamala Harris' career since she first ran for DA in San Francisco. I've voted for her numerous times, but I also know what her jobs entail--enforcing the law, not creating it, not negotiating with the Senate to get a bill passed.

The presidency involves way more than running the state attorney general's office.

I was, in fact, open to her candidacy--I have friends who like her, hell, I have friends who know her--but she's made a mess of her campaign and it's not at all clear why she's running.

by Anonymousreply 49September 6, 2019 2:03 AM

The president is, mostly, a figurehead who acts as the party's standard-bearer and chief salesperson. Harris just doesn't have that "thing" that presidents need. I want her as attorney general but she's a shitshow as a presidential candidate.

by Anonymousreply 50September 6, 2019 2:11 AM

[quote]but I also know what her jobs entail--enforcing the law, not creating it

You understand that's what a PRESIDENT does, right? Presidents don't make policy and don't create laws. You know that, right?

by Anonymousreply 51September 6, 2019 9:55 AM

Bernie's campaign is a shit-show.

BIDEN'S campaign is a shit-show.

Even Warren has lots of issues (very little traction with people of color, her whole native-American lie, the fact she lets herself be lead around by the nose, like the way Trump got her to take a DNA test, the blatant plagiarism of some of her 'plans' from other candidates without credit, the shade she's thrown at both Obama and Hillary, her jumping on the "primary was rigged" bandwagon and then having to walk it back because it was bullshit all along, and the fact that if she WERE to win, her seat would likely go to a Republican, making the Senate just that much harder to take back, which would be ESSENTIAL to actually accomplishing anything she talks about.

Comparatively, it's hard to say Harris's campaign is a shit-show. She has a steady performance. She almost always comes from behind to win, and she's never lost an election yet.

by Anonymousreply 52September 6, 2019 9:58 AM

Fucking make a thread about Kamala Harris, Jesus Christ. This one is for discussing Yang's lack of qualifications and slimy salesman qualities.

by Anonymousreply 53September 6, 2019 10:09 AM

More trouble last night: seems NBC News did something similar-- a graphic of candidates that left Yang off, but kept in candidates polling lower than him. Some NBC producer apologized to Yang on Twitter, said graphic was doctored, but Yang Gang is showing video from NBC website that indicates otherwise. (I think. Coffee hasn't completely hit yet.)

But #YangMediaBlackout is top trending topic on Twitter (that's a lot of "T's" lol) this AM.

by Anonymousreply 54September 6, 2019 10:23 AM

"Yang Gang"? 🙄🙄🙄

by Anonymousreply 55September 6, 2019 11:24 AM

That's what they call themselves R54

by Anonymousreply 56September 6, 2019 12:37 PM

I'm sure it's all perfectly organic and natural!

by Anonymousreply 57September 6, 2019 12:43 PM

[quote]This one is for discussing Yang's lack of qualifications and slimy salesman qualities.

Not sure what more there is to discuss. Yes, he lacks qualifications, and has slimy salesman qualities. And attracts weird and abusive followers (kinda like Bernie). And he should drop out.

by Anonymousreply 58September 6, 2019 2:47 PM

R58 agreed, but YourMillennialTroll keeps bumping the thread.

by Anonymousreply 59September 6, 2019 5:13 PM

Wow, R52, your bias isn't clear at all! Yet, despite all those horrible things you hate about Warren, she's still out-polling the automaton known as Kamala Harris by 10-15 points. Yang is in it for attention. If nothing else, he should learn to tie a tie so he could at least pretend he's serious about this and not just there to build his brand.

by Anonymousreply 60September 6, 2019 5:35 PM

Everything you need to know about the Yang-Bernie connection in a single tweet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61September 6, 2019 5:51 PM

R51, I do. But you don't. You missed that whole bit where the president submits legislation to Congress and they debate it and approve or disapprove of it.

The president also oversees multiple regulatory agencies that establish, well, regulations that can become laws. It's a big policy position.

But if you don't understand those kind of basics then, well, it's little wonder you don't get how Harris' lack of experience has tanked her campaign. She's not even winning her own state at this point and has gone down into the single digits after looking good after the first debate.

Though not as low as Yang. He's a classic fringe candidate--the Democratic equivalent of Malcolm Forbes and the flat tax.

by Anonymousreply 62September 6, 2019 6:52 PM

WTF DL? I used to be able to click on links and read the summary. Now it is automatically opening the link, it’s annoying, I have to keep returning to threads.

by Anonymousreply 63September 6, 2019 7:03 PM

r61 that's labeled with "#YangGang" so I'm not sure that's the most unbiased source.

by Anonymousreply 64September 6, 2019 7:24 PM

A bit too much Yang. More Yin please.

by Anonymousreply 65September 6, 2019 7:29 PM

A bit too much Yang. More Yin please.

by Anonymousreply 66September 6, 2019 7:30 PM

He went Asian!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67September 6, 2019 7:39 PM

Ex-fucking-CUSE me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 6, 2019 7:42 PM

Oh Lord, Yang is even better than Tulsi Russian Stooge Republican Gabbard.

by Anonymousreply 69September 6, 2019 7:44 PM

Your mom's a Russian stooge.

by Anonymousreply 70September 6, 2019 7:46 PM

There were plenty of interviews with him at the beginning and first round of debates. I saw these interviews. Yang is a complete moron. Yang is an idiot and has no fucking experience.

Who the fuck wants a fucking nobody loser, when there is experienced people running for President on the Democratic side?

We have US Senator Bernie Sanders and US Senator Elizabeth Warren. They are intelligent. They are experienced. We can read their public policies. The are serious about the office of the President and our Democracy. Their policies are Democratic, proven to work, and they are being transparent.

by Anonymousreply 71September 7, 2019 12:25 AM

R54 that’s dirty and disrespectful

by Anonymousreply 72September 7, 2019 12:36 AM

Yang is forced to deal with a lot of anti-Asian racism.

by Anonymousreply 73September 7, 2019 2:10 AM

The Daily Beast's Sam Stein:

Andrew Yang’s campaign manager just called to tell me that at tomorrow night’s debate, Yang will be doing "something no presidential candidate has ever done before in history.” He declined to go further than that.

by Anonymousreply 74September 11, 2019 6:26 PM

r74 My prediction? He's going to "tell the truth." 😂

That, or he's going to put $1k under everyone's seat, Oprah-style.

by Anonymousreply 75September 11, 2019 9:33 PM

I will give $1000 usd to anyone who claims to like me. Get your campaign slogan hats now.

by Anonymousreply 76September 15, 2019 7:53 AM

Yang is just embarrassing now. He needs to drop out. The sooner the better.

by Anonymousreply 77September 16, 2019 12:15 AM

I still can't believe he tried the "I'll give you $1000 a month for a year!" and basically made people beg him for the money by filling out a form saying why they deserved it. I'm curious what he will try to sell to the poor rubes who gave him their information, once he mercifully drops out of the race.

by Anonymousreply 78September 16, 2019 3:25 AM

Please if anyone here wants to be my friend, I will give you 1000.00 dollars.

by Anonymousreply 79September 16, 2019 3:36 AM

Business casual may be popular, but America isn't going to elect a guy who (stubbornly) refuses to wear a tie.

by Anonymousreply 80September 16, 2019 3:41 AM

R80 but he's the Cool Candidate! He even went crowd surfing on the #YangGang!

by Anonymousreply 81September 16, 2019 3:51 AM

Andrew Yang is an embarrassment. UBI Wan Kenobi needs to take his incel gong show act and fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 82September 17, 2019 1:32 PM

Supporting that SNL hire who has now been fired was a bad call. He's now saying they're going to meet. To discuss what, exactly?

I feel so bad for AAs; they finally get a presidential candidate with some traction and... he's a fucking joke.

by Anonymousreply 83September 17, 2019 1:57 PM

I dont want an Asian president. NOPE.

by Anonymousreply 84September 17, 2019 3:24 PM

We already have a current President Tinymeat.

by Anonymousreply 85September 17, 2019 3:25 PM

Being Asian isn't the problem. Being a dot-com millionaire businessman with no practical experience is the problem.

Being a fucking dude-bro with an ego is the problem.

by Anonymousreply 86September 18, 2019 12:21 AM

When will you be offering 1 million, yang? I'll be your friend for 1 mil. How pathetic is this yang guy?

by Anonymousreply 87September 18, 2019 12:35 AM

And out of those 3%, about 1.5% are alt-right shitstains.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88September 18, 2019 12:38 AM

He is the Libertarian candidate, basically, much like Tulsi is the Republican candidate.

And yeah, people need to run for state elections first before jumping to President. We don't need another inexperienced Trump.

by Anonymousreply 89September 18, 2019 11:22 AM

Yang's plan would save our economy. Corporations always get a free ride from Republicans, it is time for the poor working class to get a leg up. It would be the best thing for our country. You guys never say, it is possible to let corporations pay no taxes...you always let the rich get whatever they want. A thousand dollars in the hands of many is much better than a million dollars in the hands of one.

by Anonymousreply 90September 19, 2019 6:02 PM

[quote] Business casual may be popular, but The Maiden Aunt Brigade isn't going to vote for a Philistine who (stubbornly) refuses to wear a tie.

FIFY

by Anonymousreply 91September 19, 2019 7:25 PM

r90 I'm sure that made sense in your head, Oleg, but not in English.

by Anonymousreply 92September 19, 2019 10:35 PM

R90, and how's any of his "plan" going to get passed? Do you have a clue how THAT will happen?

by Anonymousreply 93September 20, 2019 2:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!