Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which of the humanities disciplines is the most elitist?

What do you think?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 30, 2019 6:52 PM

OP here -- I voted for art history, btw.

by Anonymousreply 1August 30, 2019 11:45 AM

X Studies. If you aren't a part of our minority, you are the enemy and are personally responsible for our misery.

by Anonymousreply 2August 30, 2019 12:11 PM

I actually haven't found that to be the case r2 -- I know plenty of white people (including professors) in AfroAm programs and men (usually gay or "queer") in women's/gender studies

If we're going to base it on academic rigor, I'd say art history and philosophy are the most elitist. "Studies" can't really hold a candle to those fields

by Anonymousreply 3August 30, 2019 12:32 PM

Comp lit and philosophy are up there, but I actually find many philosophers down to earth

High theorists of lit departments are insufferable

by Anonymousreply 4August 30, 2019 2:50 PM

OP is correct. But OP, are you a troll? I agree that we have a serious class culture issue in academia, BUT just labeling it all as elitist does indeed play into the anti-intellectualism that is literally sucking the life force out of America. We used to worship education. WTF happened? The GOP happened.

by Anonymousreply 5August 30, 2019 3:11 PM

I'm in academia, r5.

Call me trollish all you want.

by Anonymousreply 6August 30, 2019 6:25 PM

Comp lit. By a mile. Only outdone by its evil spawn, Semiotics.

by Anonymousreply 7August 30, 2019 6:40 PM

r7 = DL fav Nimrod Reitman

by Anonymousreply 8August 30, 2019 6:41 PM

I took about 5 to 6 art history classes towards a bachelor's degree (not in art history). Surprisingly, I found art history to be an easy way to learn history in general. The art reflects / embodies the times. I always struggled with straight "history" classes. Art history was an easy wedge for me to learn history in general.

So, I disagree that art history is elitist.

by Anonymousreply 9August 30, 2019 6:42 PM

At its higher echelons (beyond the BA) it becomes increasingly elitist r9

by Anonymousreply 10August 30, 2019 6:45 PM

R10 , I'll take your word on that. I enjoyed my 100 to 300 level art history classes.

by Anonymousreply 11August 30, 2019 6:48 PM

I totally agree with you, r11. I have audited several art history classes (at both undergrad and grad level).

But I also have friends who are academics in art history, and it's brutal.

by Anonymousreply 12August 30, 2019 6:49 PM

The "elitist" trope is a device used by authoritarian and communist dictators to make their takeovers seem like populist revolutions by "the people."

That elitist enough four you, ya anti-intellectual troglodyte?

by Anonymousreply 13August 30, 2019 6:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!