Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful friends & gurlfriends. Liv Tyler's West Village house.

At first I thought "God, she's fey and annoying" but she so loves and appreciates everything she has, I'm now rather taken with her.

This is as much about her as her house and she seems very nice.

Standout for me is the pink and green-ish tiles on the walls of her basement bathroom, which she credits to Julian Schnabel.

Also the pink and white floor in her laundry room is very witty and joyful...and I usually hate pink.

ALERT - the video's 11 minutes long and I know this upsets some people on here. But I think it's worth your time.

I also like the pocket doors everywhere.

I'm not keen on all the fluffy white stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85November 12, 2019 7:18 PM

Thank you for posting this, OP. Really is a beautiful home. I like pocket doors too. The pink glass is nice.

by Anonymousreply 1August 28, 2019 4:37 PM
by Anonymousreply 2August 29, 2019 1:06 AM

Love the pocket doors. I appreciate that she had the interiors completely redesigned and I really like the skylight (although less wild about all of the pink glass).

The fluffiness primarily seems to be for her kids?

by Anonymousreply 3August 29, 2019 1:17 AM

Beautiful!

by Anonymousreply 4August 29, 2019 1:21 AM

She seems like such a lovely person. Her home is gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 5August 29, 2019 1:26 AM

All the rooms are too small. She has her daddy's $, so there's no reason for her to live in a shoe.

by Anonymousreply 6August 29, 2019 1:29 AM

Most of it is not for me, especially all the pink and the white fluff, but she seems quite sweet and thoughtful, and she’s grown as an adult with the house.

And I also love all the pocket doors. And the garden is wonderful.

Bonus points for taking us to the basement, her favorite place in the house, as well as the attic.

by Anonymousreply 7August 29, 2019 1:39 AM

Queens adore pocket doors!

by Anonymousreply 8August 29, 2019 1:41 AM

I personally loathe pocket doors.

by Anonymousreply 9August 29, 2019 1:43 AM

Pocket doors are fun. Plus, they allow spaces to flow nicely. I’d have most of my doors in my house house as pockets, but, alas, I have none.

by Anonymousreply 10August 29, 2019 1:46 AM

The house seemed surprisingly undecorated, but homey and personal. And she seemed completely lovely and adorable.

by Anonymousreply 11August 29, 2019 1:59 AM

She seems like a very happy lady,and her home is so warm and personal. I love the fact she likes a more cozy space instead of those gigantic homes we see so often.

by Anonymousreply 12August 29, 2019 2:08 AM

I'm surprised she's lived in the same place since she was 24! Agree with everyone that she seems very sweet and happy and comes across as unpretentious. The house is a definite home.

by Anonymousreply 13August 29, 2019 2:17 AM

I watched this yesterday and this needed a thread. Hands down the best house tour I've ever seen. I thought she was kind of trashy before, but I was so wrong. She is classy as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 14August 29, 2019 2:21 AM

She's adorable. And the house is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 15August 29, 2019 2:26 AM

Returning to this thread, I was just thinking how, with a lot of these houses we look at on here, how most of these people never have to worry about the cost of things. They just do whatever they want. They never have to say, OK, I'll live with this for now and fix it in a few years time, the way most people have to.

by Anonymousreply 16August 29, 2019 2:27 AM

Love the house. Most celebs her age have moved about a dozen times in the time she's been in that one house.

by Anonymousreply 17August 29, 2019 2:28 AM

[quote]Most celebs her age have moved about a dozen times

Usually back and forth between New York and L.A. Neither place ever fulfilling them.

by Anonymousreply 18August 29, 2019 2:31 AM

Love this house. And she's ethereal.

by Anonymousreply 19August 29, 2019 2:31 AM

Considering that she has almost every privilege available - money, beauty, the power of celebrity - she still comes across as kind and generous. I am jealous of her house and bank account but I don't hate her for having them.

by Anonymousreply 20August 29, 2019 4:05 AM

Amazing how normal and nice she turned out to be, considering her insane upbringing.

by Anonymousreply 21August 29, 2019 4:13 AM

So was it all dads money? Do her siblings live that well? That’s $15-$20 million house!

by Anonymousreply 22August 29, 2019 4:27 AM

Her driver's license said Rungren so I don't know how much Steven gave her. Todd and Bebe had their own money, not Aerosmith money, but still.

I picture Mia living somewhere equally nice. Liv just made all the money herself.

by Anonymousreply 23August 29, 2019 4:35 AM

Overall, I love it. I like that she enjoys color, and isn't afraid of a bit of whimsy here and there. And while, yes, it's worth a fortune, she had interior practically built from scratch, but it still doesn't look like some of those those over-the-top, sprawling mansions in the hills above LA, or high-rise condos in NYC. Just an old-fashioned family home. I thought she was sweet and lovely.

by Anonymousreply 24August 29, 2019 4:40 AM

I used to live on this same block as Liv in the West Village. We would say hello to each other on the street after a while since it was clear we both lived there, but nothing more, and she was always very nice.

Then we ran into each other at a party and realized we had a mutual friend in common. After that we would stop and actually have a conversation on the street with each other.

While not intellectual, she’s also not dumb by any means and has a certain level of sophistication and knowledge about a fairly wide range of things simply as a result of the life she has led and everything she’s been exposed to such as working with Bertolucci, etc.

Anyway, she really is a lovely and very unpretentious person. I saw her interact with fans a few times as well and she was genuinely friendly with them, never made snarky comments after they left, etc.

Physically she is gorgeous! Even better looking than on film and in pictures. I was never invited into her house though.

by Anonymousreply 25August 29, 2019 4:42 AM

Unpretentious and lovely. Her driver's license pic is gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 26August 29, 2019 4:42 AM

Love it all but the pink, but it's not my house. It completely fits her. She's lovely.

by Anonymousreply 27August 29, 2019 4:57 AM

She's only worth 20 mil, her father is worth 130 mil. I don't understand how he has worked steadily for the past 40 years and be worth so little.

by Anonymousreply 28August 29, 2019 5:11 AM

Steven Tyler is a funny meme.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 29, 2019 5:34 AM

Drugs, r28. Lots and lots of drugs.

by Anonymousreply 30August 29, 2019 1:26 PM

I like that she made sure the kids were out of the house before they filmed this. They're not cute accessories. Other stars, take note!

by Anonymousreply 31August 29, 2019 1:53 PM

This is called subway tile.

by Anonymousreply 32August 29, 2019 2:09 PM

Here's the written article for those Marys who don't like videos.

Why I feel the need to accommodate them, I'm not sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 29, 2019 2:25 PM

But what you can do with an article as opposed to a video is link pics and make comments.

One thing I did not like very much as it flashed by, were the black cabinets in the kitchen. I hate black anything in decor. Any color would have been better....apart from grey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 29, 2019 2:32 PM

I don't get stainless steel appliances with brass trim. But at this point, who am I to critique Liv Tyler?

by Anonymousreply 35August 29, 2019 2:35 PM

She refers to a type of wallpaper as dagonnet. Never heard of that, and tried looking it up, but i am clearly way off my spelling. Could someone fill me in? History of it, how it's created, etc.

by Anonymousreply 36August 29, 2019 2:55 PM

r36, it's de Gournay wallpaper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 29, 2019 3:03 PM

Thanks R37!

R36.

by Anonymousreply 38August 29, 2019 3:05 PM

Love Liv, and wouldn't expect her home to be any less gorgeous. She is a Cancer, after all.

by Anonymousreply 39August 29, 2019 3:13 PM

She said she bought it in her late twenties R22, before Manhattan prices had become utterly insane. I'm assuming she bought it around the time she did Lord of the Rings, which I'm sure she made a pretty penny on. I doubt her dad has ever been helping with her money.

by Anonymousreply 40August 29, 2019 3:21 PM

*early twenties, I meant

by Anonymousreply 41August 29, 2019 3:22 PM

R22 did you miss the part where she bought it 21 years ago ? She had her own money from films.

by Anonymousreply 42August 29, 2019 3:26 PM

She's lucky her mother lied when she was born and claimed Todd Rundgren was her biological father. She had at least a decade or so of life before she found out her real bio father was Steven Tyler. Steven Tyler was a major drug addict when she was born. Not having his influence until much later when he had cleaned up to a degree worked greatly in her favor.

by Anonymousreply 43August 29, 2019 3:31 PM

Still reeling at r6 calling the house a "shoe" as if it's tiny.

Maybe there are more Midwestern DLers in McMansions here than I'd assumed.

by Anonymousreply 44August 31, 2019 7:17 AM

In general, I liked the house. IIRC, she said that the kitchen was on a different floor than the living areas. (Seems like it's a 3- or 4-story unit?) She said that that was a conscious decision (putting the kitchen on a different floor.) I would prefer kitchen on same floor as living areas. The basement, including the laundry room and guest room were creepy, IMO. That guest room did not look inviting.

by Anonymousreply 45August 31, 2019 8:14 AM

Great house. She had her own money and probably got it at a steal looking at how dilapidated it was when she got. She saw what it could be and did. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 46August 31, 2019 8:33 AM

I'd say at least half of Manhattan townhouses have the kitchen below on the garden level. That was the original configuration. The main floor is usually a front and a rear parlor. On the garden level below it's usually the formal dining room in front and kitchen in the rear.

Watching this at first I assumed it was Brooklyn. Liv Tyler, she's just, so Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 47August 31, 2019 4:30 PM

Liv is at the Venice Film Festival this week and looks great!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 31, 2019 4:38 PM

A bit too feminine in some of the touches, but beautifully well done. Maybe a bit on the conservative side, but classic and tasteful.

I honestly wouldn't have expected it from her.

For R25 - is this Charles Street? I used to live on Charles - I'm speculating from the outside - it has been years since I lived there. Or Perry?

by Anonymousreply 49August 31, 2019 4:54 PM

I lived at 155 Perry. Was just remembering this earlier today.

by Anonymousreply 50August 31, 2019 5:18 PM

Perry street is, IMO, the most beautiful street in the village. I lived on the other side from you on Charles. Beautiful also, but not the same as Perry.

by Anonymousreply 51August 31, 2019 5:24 PM

Hello Kitty meets old lady.

by Anonymousreply 52August 31, 2019 5:28 PM

R49 it’s West 11th Street

by Anonymousreply 53August 31, 2019 6:58 PM

I love it. Love everything, especially the kitchen where a kitchen ought to be in a townhouse!

She didn't show us the dining room which I'm sure is also lovely. I'm so jealous, I'd move in tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 54August 31, 2019 8:05 PM

I thought she was living in London now.

by Anonymousreply 55August 31, 2019 8:53 PM

Crazy that she's stayed in the same residence for 20 or however many years. No celebrities do that anymore, they pick up and move every few years.

by Anonymousreply 56August 31, 2019 8:55 PM

[quote]I thought she was living in London now.

Clearly, NOT.

by Anonymousreply 57August 31, 2019 9:10 PM

Her baby daddy has a house in London. She splits her time between NYC and London. She also owns a country house in the Hudson River Valley and goes to a family house in Maine occasionally.

She had a house in Los Feliz, but she sold it.

by Anonymousreply 58August 31, 2019 9:30 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 31, 2019 9:41 PM

Supposedly the baby daddy is bisexual, but who knows

by Anonymousreply 60August 31, 2019 9:45 PM

That was delightful. She seems really sweet. I love her wallpapers and her magnolia tree. Her voice is so soothing.

by Anonymousreply 61September 1, 2019 4:47 AM

[quote] Pocket doors are fun

Are you an adult? You need to get out more

by Anonymousreply 62September 1, 2019 5:01 AM

She’s a love. And her house is pretty.

by Anonymousreply 63September 1, 2019 5:41 AM

I like her and I like this house.

by Anonymousreply 64September 1, 2019 5:41 AM

She addressed the Oxford Union in Jan '18 and talks about just having moved to England and to be currently moving into her new house. Maybe she moved back to NYC, since.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65September 1, 2019 9:34 AM

[quote] Pocket doors are fun.... Are you an adult? You need to get out more

Maybe you should stay home more and appreciate your doors. Pocket doors are indeed fun.

by Anonymousreply 66September 1, 2019 10:41 AM

I loved her Oxford talk R65, but it did show her vocabulary limitations—she cannot come up with a synonym for "interesting" to save her life. That either tells me that she's not well-read, not well formally educated, or both. I still love her though.

by Anonymousreply 67September 1, 2019 10:58 AM

Looks like their house in London is very grand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 1, 2019 11:10 AM

Pocket doors are fantastic. Why? Because they create space, seamlessly. No big, clunky *doors* swinging open and shut. Some small spaces don't even have room for regular doors. I have a few pocket doors and am grateful for them. All doors should be pocket doors!

by Anonymousreply 69September 1, 2019 12:03 PM

Maybe she's thinking of selling the NY house, and this feature is a showcase. She seems to really love it, though.

by Anonymousreply 70September 1, 2019 12:04 PM

[quote]I loved her Oxford talk [R65], but it did show her vocabulary limitations—she cannot come up with a synonym for "interesting" to save her life. That either tells me that she's not well-read, not well formally educated, or both. I still love her though.

I find your observation very uninteresting.

by Anonymousreply 71September 1, 2019 1:33 PM

Her husband or BF whatever also has an Instagram account and posts nice photos and vids.

Look at this!! (if you are able)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72September 1, 2019 1:43 PM

In London she's friends with Stella McCartney, like GOOP (and look who else turns up in the clip!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 1, 2019 1:47 PM

Considering the mess she could have been - all the insane adults around her, she is so lovely and normal seeming. Pretty lady and nice safe looking, lovely house.

by Anonymousreply 74September 1, 2019 1:57 PM

Per public records that can be found on websites like StreetEasy, Liv paid just over $2.5 million for the house in 2001. You might have to be registered with the website to see the link, sorry for any hassle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 2, 2019 2:27 AM

I wonder how much the gut remodel cost?

by Anonymousreply 76September 2, 2019 3:59 AM

A charming woman in her charming home; enjoyed this tour.

by Anonymousreply 77September 2, 2019 5:46 AM

R73 Stella McCartney's five-head is a solar panel of botulism.

by Anonymousreply 78September 2, 2019 6:20 AM

She was unexpectedly charming, and the house is beautiful. Personal, with the personal quality that comes from being lived in and loved. You have to like someone who is unpretentious enough to show the attic.

by Anonymousreply 79September 2, 2019 3:19 PM

But you can't see the cedar closet cause it's full of crap. Very cute.

by Anonymousreply 80September 2, 2019 3:35 PM

Sold!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81November 5, 2019 11:16 PM

Yeah, there were movers there a few weeks ago when I walked by. Made me a little sad as she was such a nice person to see around the neighborhood and was always friendly. Although she’s pretty much been in London all the time for the past two years anyway.

by Anonymousreply 82November 6, 2019 1:37 AM

This cannot be!

Someone has hypnotized her ... she LOVED that house!

by Anonymousreply 83November 6, 2019 1:04 PM

[quote] I was never invited into her house though.

For reasons that are well-known to you.

by Anonymousreply 84November 6, 2019 3:31 PM

I think it’s perfect.

The whole time I watched the video, I had flashbacks to the psychopathically cold and cavelike Ellen DeGeneres house. Our surroundings really do reflect our psyche, don’t they?

by Anonymousreply 85November 12, 2019 7:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!