Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jade Goody

A documentary about her life recently aired in the UK. Girl from extremely deprived background appears on Big Brother UK at the height of the show's popularity. Thinks Americans don't speak English, Rio de Janeiro is a person, strawberries are vegetables, and Saddam Hussein is a boxer. Bullies one of the other housemates incessantly. The media launches a campaign to get her evicted from the house, using the catchphrase "kill the pig". She somehow manages to turn things around, and launches a successful career as a reality star.

Stupidly returns to Big Brother five years later, reminds everyone why they hated her in the first place, and destroys her career within two weeks. Engages in racially-tinged bullying towards Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty. Unknowingly sparks an international race row which even the British Chancellor and the Mayor of London comment on. Fans of Shetty burn effigies in the streets.

In an attempt to rehabilitate her image, Goody appears on the Indian equivalent of Big Brother a few years later. While there, she receives the news that she has cervical cancer. She (voluntarily) lives out the remaining months of her life under the glare of the cameras.

The whole story is such a car crash. It's odd that by far the most famous BB UK contestant was also the first one to die. I wasn't on DL in those days, but I can just imagine how thoroughly she must have been ripped apart here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 7, 2019 6:38 PM

There was some discussion of her here, but not much. By and large most DLers are American, and so had no idea who either she or Shilpa Shetty were, and so just did not care about the fight (to be honest).

Also, BB shows from other countries did not air here at the time, unless I am mistaken. So even while we heard about the kerfuffle we could not watch it for ourselves very easily.

by Anonymousreply 1August 25, 2019 9:08 PM

I'm guessing that the late Ms. Goody was ripped apart on DL at some point but the sad ending to her less than privileged life probably made people back off of her and forgive her sins.

Guess she was just one of those people who struck a chord with the public somehow.

by Anonymousreply 2August 25, 2019 9:12 PM

She was incredibly vulgar. I’m sorry she died so young and left little kids behind but she was a true representation of UK media going down a horrible path of rewarding people famous for just being famous and having no discernible talent like Goody.

by Anonymousreply 3August 25, 2019 9:18 PM

R3 I didn't know that the UK had their own version of Klohe Kar-TRASHian. I feel that much closer to you!

by Anonymousreply 4August 25, 2019 9:20 PM

She was a cochon. Now she's a dead. Move on.

by Anonymousreply 5August 25, 2019 9:39 PM

[quote] Engages in racially-tinged bullying towards Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty.

I think the racial aspect was totally exaggerated, but they blew that up to demonize them. But there was bullying and ganging up. It was the Big Brother people who should have stepped in at some point.

by Anonymousreply 6August 25, 2019 9:54 PM

I remember the British press went all out covering her death and funeral/procession, which was televised. I was like, all that for a reality TV star? They must be hurting for celebs.

by Anonymousreply 7August 25, 2019 9:56 PM

I was on Datalounge during this person’s heyday and we didn’t care about her. No one in America knows who she is.

by Anonymousreply 8August 25, 2019 10:05 PM

R6 It was ugly female on female bullying with the other girls going on the attack simply because Shilpa was prettier than them. Not knowing that Jade Goody was going to die young of cancer, I remember feeling pretty good about the fact that those girls got all of that backlash.

by Anonymousreply 9August 25, 2019 10:11 PM

Didn't Jade call her Shilpa Poppadom? Main mean girl was Jo from S Club 7? I can't remember much. I do remember a psychologist or similar analysing everyone involved behaviours and finding all aggressive. It was years ago and memories are vague. Help me remember DL (if anyone can be bothered). I suppose we'd say Jade was the epitome of basic.

by Anonymousreply 10August 25, 2019 10:20 PM

Yes, Goody did call Shilpa a Poppadom and the other mean girl was a nondescript blonde who was dating a footballer.

Didn't Goody also lie to the press about having her windows smashed out after the controversy? With the police going on record saying that it wasn't true?

by Anonymousreply 11August 25, 2019 10:26 PM

[quote]Didn't Jade call her Shilpa Poppadom?

Yes, I think that was as "racist" as it got - yet that was the label they used for all of them ever after.

[quote]Main mean girl was Jo from S Club 7?

I remember seeing her on TV hysterical with grief and tears after she had discovered the whole nation had turned on her.

Has she ever appeared in public since? Not that I had ever heard of her before BB.

by Anonymousreply 12August 25, 2019 10:28 PM

OMG

[quote]In November 2008, Jo suffered a head wound after a man threw a bottle at her during a club performance in an attack thought to be motivated by her CBB appearance.

[quote]Although Jo was regarded as the band's most prominent vocalist, her only debut single performed poorly before her album Relentless flopped in the charts.

[quote]What does Jo do now? Jo is back singing with the band SC3, a rebranded version of the original group.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 25, 2019 10:31 PM

She was no Pooja.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 25, 2019 10:32 PM

Dirk Benedict was on it that year. I thought he was rather hawt. Now I think he looked MAD.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 25, 2019 10:36 PM

Anne Morrow Lindbergh said that fame is a kind of death, that certainly was the case for poor, simple Jade, the stress of being under the spotlight may have brought on disease.

by Anonymousreply 16August 25, 2019 10:36 PM

Jade referred to Shilpa as "Shilpa Poppadom" and "Shilpa Fuckawalla", but most of the racist comments came from the other members of her gang. Jo from S Club was the one who said that Indians are unhygienic. Danielle Lloyd said Shilpa couldn't speak English properly and should fuck off back home. Jade's mother referred to her disparagingly as "the Indian". It was all very uncomfortable to watch, and there was a definite sense that they were using Shilpa's "otherness" as a way of insulting her. There were also an unaired conversation in which Jade and the others made up a limerick about Shilpa with words that rhymed with "Paki".

Jade copped most of the flack - partly because she was the ringleader, and partly because her entire career had been based on her "dim but sweet" image. Now that she had shown she was definitely not sweet, there wasn't much left to endear her to the public. The others got off lightly. Jade's boyfriend Jack even called Shilpa a cunt and told her to clean the toilet with her teeth, but the media largely ignored his role in the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 17August 25, 2019 11:02 PM

R17 Very scary to see what the sight of a pretty or beautiful woman can do a pack of nasty women. At the time, I loved that they all got called out for what they did.

by Anonymousreply 18August 25, 2019 11:05 PM

Of course we talked about her here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 26, 2019 12:12 AM

Cervical cancer is caused by HPV infection (ie, being a slut). It progresses slowly and is almost 100% curable. The fact that she died from it shows how truly stupid and unaware she was.

by Anonymousreply 20August 26, 2019 12:23 AM

Thanks R18.

Guess a lot of people were not sorry to see her go. She sounded like a jerk but not to the point where I'd wish cancer on her.

by Anonymousreply 21August 26, 2019 12:24 AM

It can be treated successfully if caught early, R20, but the problem is that by the time symptoms show, it can be too advanced. That's why regular testing is advised. Also, HPV is highly prevalent, so it's not necessary to be a slut to catch it, just to be sexually active.

by Anonymousreply 22August 26, 2019 12:44 AM

I've always found it interesting that the original Big Brother (which began in the US and the UK the same year) flopped so hard in the US that they had to reformat the show to save it from cancellation, but in the UK it was not only a ratings hit but it became a much bigger pop-culture phenomenon than it's ever been here. Nobody remembers or cares who was on BBUS except for superfans, but BBUK housemates like Jade managed to become tabloid celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 23December 3, 2019 9:37 AM

Finally. The biography we have all be waiting for.

by Anonymousreply 24December 3, 2019 10:39 AM

"the stress of being under the spotlight may have brought on disease."

Was she fucking the spotlight?

by Anonymousreply 25December 3, 2019 10:41 AM

Shortly before she died, she told her mother that she believed she was being punished for her behavior on Celebrity Big Brother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 4, 2019 12:26 AM

She never lived to vote for Brexit.

by Anonymousreply 27December 4, 2019 12:31 AM

Roast in hell, racist pig dog.

As Shilpa is sure to know and could have told you had you actually listened when she talked: karma’s a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 28December 4, 2019 5:11 AM

Jade gets grilled by Davina McCall after her eviction

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 4, 2019 7:14 PM

Out of curiosity, how did the popularity of the name Jade originate amongst lower-class Brits?

Just seems so random because it's a stone that's highly prized in East Asian cultures

by Anonymousreply 30December 5, 2019 1:22 PM

Part one of the Channel 4 documentary

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 7, 2019 10:25 AM

Part 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 7, 2019 10:26 AM

Part 3

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 7, 2019 10:26 AM

Wow, R19 What a blast from the past. I remember that thread well

by Anonymousreply 34December 7, 2019 1:47 PM

In what was seen by some as a dick move and others as what she deserved, Jade was filmed in the diary room of Bigg Boss (the Indian edition of Big Brother) when her doctor told her over the phone that she had cancer. (She had agreed to do Big Boss as part of her apology tour after the Celebrity Big Brother mess.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 7, 2019 3:52 PM

There's something quite spooky about the way the pivotal events of her life dovetailed. Big Brother gave her a career; her treatment of an Indian contestant on Celebrity Big Brother turned the public against her; and then, while appearing on the Indian edition of Big Brother, she was given the news that she had cancer.

by Anonymousreply 36December 7, 2019 5:54 PM

When she was riding high after her first run on BBUK, she even had her own perfume.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 7, 2019 6:09 PM

It's impossible to care about her if you didn't see her in BB.

by Anonymousreply 38December 7, 2019 6:24 PM

It says alot about the UK's values as a nation that this woman became so famous. Reality TV society. Being lauded for being ill informed and stupid. Really? Daft. Reality TV gutted the rule of the ages that in order to be held in high esteem, you had to bring something to the table.

by Anonymousreply 39December 7, 2019 6:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!