Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pensions!

An older friend was surprised that I did not have a pension from my job at a university. Many of her friends have pensions--which surprised me.

How common are pensions? Do they the still exist?

by Anonymousreply 70August 28, 2019 12:06 AM

Of course they do--especially if you're in a union.

by Anonymousreply 1August 25, 2019 4:40 PM

My wife and I both have pensions from Los Angeles County. Best decision I ever made was to work for the guvmint.

by Anonymousreply 2August 25, 2019 4:42 PM

From what I know, pensions are pretty much a thing of the past. I qualified for one. God help young people, because I do not know what I'd have done without it.

by Anonymousreply 3August 25, 2019 4:47 PM

For government jobs, not corporates.

I have one from my current job (large financial services co) but over time they drastically cut the rate of funding and a few years ago stopped new contributions altogether. I’ll be able to take a lump sum of close to $300k but that’s not anything I could live on.

by Anonymousreply 4August 25, 2019 4:50 PM

My parents both had them (they worked for the local school district.) Like OP I work for a University and will have to reply on my 401k. I didn't think anyone but govt employees had pensions anymore.

by Anonymousreply 5August 25, 2019 4:51 PM

Actors have pensions. I will have quite a nice one from SAG paying out in about 5 years.

by Anonymousreply 6August 25, 2019 4:54 PM

[quote] ’ll be able to take a lump sum of close to $300k but that’s not anything I could live on.

I can relate.

by Anonymousreply 7August 25, 2019 4:56 PM

I have one from when I worked for a major cosmetic company in the 80s unfortunately it is based on my 1980s salary which is poverty level today. It's better than nothing, fortunately I've always been a good saver so no problems in retirement.

by Anonymousreply 8August 25, 2019 5:05 PM

NO ONE has pensions anymore - except government including teachers. College is a mix. Not quite public teacher level - some do, some don’t. In most cases you are better off teaching Grades 1-12 than college.

This is the biggest issue facing Gen X. We are the first without any security for retirement. - in general. We’ve had to save every penny ourselves. And we therefore never know if we will have enough because without guaranteed income, it’s all a gamble.

by Anonymousreply 9August 25, 2019 6:45 PM

"NO ONE has pensions anymore."

r9, see r6.

by Anonymousreply 10August 25, 2019 6:47 PM

My husband works for the NYC Department of Education as a clinical social worker. Brutal job. And before that he was at an outpatient mental health program. He is getting pensions from both, thank god. The DOE pension is solid. He'll get 60% of his salary plus he's been investing 27% of his salary in a TIA-CREF fund with a guaranteed 7% return. He will--no joke--have well over a million dollars in that account by the time he is eligible to retire. Plus we get health insurance including dental for the rest of our lives.

I know it all sounds sweet, but again - I stress - his job is brutal. And he made shit $$ for years.

Anyway, these are the types of benefits a union can get for you. We so need a resurgence of unions in this country.

by Anonymousreply 11August 25, 2019 7:07 PM

Totally agree R11. Kudos to your husband. That’s the trade off kids don’t understand. I work on Wall Street and my brother is a grade school teacher. He will be better off in retirement than I will be. It’s less money - and more frustration, commitment, less freedom - now in exchange for one of the best and safest retirement packages in America.

by Anonymousreply 12August 25, 2019 7:13 PM

I retired from state government.... my parents thought I had one the lottery. I was like, they were crazy, because the pay was so low.... Continually moved up in the ranks... still compared to my friends in private the pay was pretty crappy. I ended up retiring at 51. My SS kicked at 62.... gotta say, now I know what my parents were thinking. Most of my friends retirement is not nor will not be close to mine.

by Anonymousreply 13August 25, 2019 7:35 PM

People call it "retirement," sometimes (rather than "pension").

I'm still working, but I worked enough years at a government job (that I quit) for my retirement benefits to "vest." My health insurance benefits also "vested." I have to wait until I reach a certain age to collect, though.

Seems like police and maybe firefighters have the best retirement plans, in that they don't have to wait until they're a certain age until they collect. They just need the 20 or 25 years, or whatever the requirement is.

by Anonymousreply 14August 25, 2019 9:31 PM

If anyone deserves a pension, it's a fireman.

by Anonymousreply 15August 25, 2019 9:41 PM

I went to law school later in life and passed bar at 42, went to work for NYC govt and will have an annual pension at age 65 of $72k a year, it will be more if I retire later. My SS will also be a supplement to this income. Also, my union dues gives me a small annuity of $250 a month (will cover cable and mobile phone). I have been saving in 401k as well. Started my career in corporate world and do not miss it at all. I took at big pay cut with my first city job at $49k per year but in 11 years it has gone up almost 2.5 times, so I am finally feeling good about it all. Check NYC.gov jobs for civil service tests and there are practice test books to buy to study. If you score high you will be called for an interview.....I highly recommend a govt job these days, especially if we go into a recession.

by Anonymousreply 16August 25, 2019 11:54 PM

I, too, have a Screen Actors Guild pension. I qualified for a ten year pension by meeting the earnings threshold for 10 of the years I’ve been working. I also have a small one from AFTRA. I’m 47 now and can start collecting (at a reduced rate) at 55 if I choose.

My dad has a SAG and AFTRA pension and two retail clerk pensions from UFCW (southern and Northern California) plus social security...lucky bastard.

They are definitely rare in the corporate world these days.

by Anonymousreply 17August 26, 2019 12:29 AM

I worked for the Federal gov't. for 37 years; retired at 58, and now get around $105K/year in pension. No Social Security, though -- we were exempt. (Workers hired after 1983 are under a different system and do get SS, but a smaller pension and a 401(k)-type plan.) My take-home now is actually HIGHER than when I was working, since they no longer deduct things like 7% for retirement, and the big chunk I was putting into the 401(k)-type plan. The only thing they take out are state and local income taxes and my share of the health insurance premium.

by Anonymousreply 18August 26, 2019 1:22 AM

I worked 21 years for a larger corporation that had a traditional pension. They also once said lifetime health benefits. They tried to renege on the pensions, and tried to convert us to 401k, and they pulled back the full health benefits. A class action suit followed and they had to give us a choice, the standard pension, or 401k plan. No lifetime health benefits. Everyone that was to receive the pensions would of lost substantial amount of money converting to 401k, so everyone selected the pension. I am eligible now to get a lump sum of over $200k, with still a monthly check off about $2k. If I take it at my 65 retirement, I get an larger payout of both lumpsum and monthly payment. That plus $2800 in SSA, and with what my partner will get, we will live comfortably, better off then most. Combined, our monthly intake will be around $6k. Plus my$200k+, and his 100k 401k. Don't forget, you will have to pay for your Medicare supplemental. Pray for universal health Care. We have our little rambler house, and our 40 year old not-so-fancy backgammon board. Aldi's and Lidl nearby. We shall be content.

by Anonymousreply 19August 26, 2019 2:35 AM

R19. I live very simply. I am lucky to have enough for basics with some extras from time to time...so many have literally next to nothing, sad

by Anonymousreply 20August 26, 2019 2:45 AM

[quote]my parents thought I had one the lottery

well, they sure didn't think you had won a spelling bee

by Anonymousreply 21August 26, 2019 2:48 AM

Lucky bastards. I'm going to drop dead at my desk before I can retire.

by Anonymousreply 22August 26, 2019 3:40 AM

[quote] R11: He'll get 60% of his salary plus he's been investing 27% of his salary in a TIA-CREF fund with a guaranteed 7% return.

I think you’re mistaken about “guaranteed “. I can’t imagine a company guaranteeing any rate of return. Isn’t it illegal to do so?

by Anonymousreply 23August 26, 2019 3:49 AM

I had two pensions, but both my companies converted them to a cash payout at some point. That’s worked out fine. I invested it, and did as well or better than I would have as a pension.

by Anonymousreply 24August 26, 2019 3:55 AM

I have one but I am the only one of my friends (apart from work) who does. I will end up with 40% of my salary, plus 401k and Social Security. If the planet survives I will have more money when I retire. But for recent hires they have to wait longer for benefits.

by Anonymousreply 25August 26, 2019 4:11 AM

Again with all the millionaires on DL.

by Anonymousreply 26August 26, 2019 4:26 AM

By "pension", do you mean the old-fashioned defined benefit kind, where you retire after x years and get y% of your salary? I think those are mostly gone except for governments.

But many organizations - universities, too, which is why OP's comment surprises me - have 401k or 403b (for non-profits) plans that they contribute to. My university employer puts a percent of my salary in the plan as well as matching what I contribute up to a certain percent. It's not as generous by any means as a government pension, but it's not nothing, either.

Do most large corporations not even offer a 401k plan for their employees to allow them to save for retirement? If they do offer such a plan, do they contribute nothing themselves?

by Anonymousreply 27August 26, 2019 4:27 AM

R23, I’m not mistaken. See link,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 26, 2019 5:49 PM

[quote]I’ll be able to take a lump sum of close to $300k but that’s not anything I could live on.

If you don’t know how to make $300k last in retirement then you don’t know how to manage money.

by Anonymousreply 29August 26, 2019 6:03 PM

[quote]Again with all the millionaires on DL.

I know - they’re all so full of shit (i.e. “I can’t live on $300k! Whatever shall I do?!”).

by Anonymousreply 30August 26, 2019 6:04 PM

Thank you, R28. I am surprised.

by Anonymousreply 31August 26, 2019 6:24 PM

My Dad got a sizeable pension (plus a large lump sum) from Proctor & Gamble, but he worked for them here in the UK.

It passed to my Mother after his death 20 years ago, she gets about £40,000 ($55,000) a year, inflation linked.

by Anonymousreply 32August 26, 2019 6:27 PM

Public pensions in this country are notoriously underfunded and we are thisclose to a crisis-- either taxpayers will have to take on an enormous additional burden (more than $30,000 per worker), governments will have to slash benefits, or both. Detroit reduced retirement benefits as part of its bankruptcy in 2015 -- it won't be the last.

by Anonymousreply 33August 26, 2019 6:29 PM

r30 I have the opposite "problem." I have trouble figuring out how to spend my money. I've been thrifty (if not miserly) all my life, and now I have WAY too much money. I obsess over spending it and I have no idea why.

by Anonymousreply 34August 26, 2019 6:57 PM

I have one, and I work for a privately owned hospital.

Jealous, bitches?

by Anonymousreply 35August 26, 2019 7:03 PM

I’m curious if we will see a way wave of bankrupt pension plans. There is a federal Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation that backs up pension obligations when companies go bankrupt. But don’t think that applies to all state and local government pensions. It’s crazy that the federal government takes on corporate obligations for pensions after private equity strips every penny for themselves.

No pension here - have to pray my money lasts. The 401k fraud pulled by the Republicans in the 80s ensured that most of us will never feel secure in retirement. We are supposed to save millions from our measly paychecks - even a million is more than most will ever have. I think the average is less than $100 thousand. While the government cuts taxes on the rich and corporations and borrows billions to cover the cost.

by Anonymousreply 36August 26, 2019 7:03 PM

$300k is nothing. Trying to cover medical and all your regular expenses and not drain that really fast.

by Anonymousreply 37August 26, 2019 7:06 PM

R21: My bad... one=won...

by Anonymousreply 38August 26, 2019 7:10 PM

$300,000 would have been fine if received and invested in 1984,1989, 2004, or 2009. At the end of any recession where you could earn returns for years. If you earned 10%, plus, let me just guess, $20,000 from Social Security, plus, let me guess, $10,000 from savings, perhaps. That’s $60,000 and I could live off that.

Now is probably not the best time to receive the same pension, though, if a recession is coming.

by Anonymousreply 39August 26, 2019 7:15 PM

Do state government jobs still offer pensions to newly hired workers?

by Anonymousreply 40August 26, 2019 7:20 PM

Most government contracts have shifted people to 491k type plans. Even teacher contracts are slowly losing defined benefit pensions.

by Anonymousreply 41August 26, 2019 7:52 PM

If any of these underfunded pension plans fail and the gov't takes them over they will cut benefits by half to keep them afloat.

by Anonymousreply 42August 26, 2019 8:05 PM

I had two pensions. One was big enough to cash out, the other is a mere pittance.

I rolled-over the cashed-out pension proceeds to an existing traditional IRA nine years ago. It continues to perform nicely.

by Anonymousreply 43August 26, 2019 8:07 PM

R1 I belong to the CWA (Communications Workers of America). Verizon does not offer pensions to New Hires. 401K is the new pension.

by Anonymousreply 44August 26, 2019 8:10 PM

R42, this happened to my new neighbor. Her pension plan went bankrupt and was taken over by some insurance fund, and then that went bankrupt too. Now she gets some gov't funded thing, and she said it's less than half what her (deceased husband's) pension was.

by Anonymousreply 45August 26, 2019 8:20 PM

Sadly, if you use $300,000 as your principal and try to live off the interest / earnings, at best you would have $15,000 per year to live off of (5% of $300,000). If you have a paid-off house, that would improve the situation, but that's still cutting it close.

by Anonymousreply 46August 26, 2019 9:04 PM

I have a pension and plan on taking the lump sum when I retire to avoid the threat of a reduction in my pension.

by Anonymousreply 47August 26, 2019 9:10 PM

R48, 5%? seems like that’s more like the yearly average worst case scenario.

Over the last ten years, my savings have grown an average of 12.5% per year, [italic] after [/italic] I’ve already lived off part of the income.

by Anonymousreply 48August 26, 2019 9:14 PM

People can still contribute to IRAs if they want to. The limits are relatively low, but you can still do that. Also, some private employers have deferred comp plans as well.

I wish I had started earlier with IRAs & wish I had contributed more, when I could, to deferred comp. Alas ...

by Anonymousreply 49August 26, 2019 9:20 PM

I realize not everybody can afford to contribute to IRAs / deferred comp. Just trying to put ideas out there.

by Anonymousreply 50August 26, 2019 9:22 PM

I thought you could not contribute to an IRA if you have a 401k plan available to you? (Aside from a Rollover or backdoor ROTH contribution.)

by Anonymousreply 51August 26, 2019 9:55 PM

And you pay taxes on the gains on your investments. There are some people here who will have a major wake up call at some point. Anyone who thinks they can count on high single-digit returns routinely are delusional.

Think of what happens in a market downturn, such as accompanies a recession. Investors see flat or negative returns for a series of years. They have to draw down on the principal...so that $300k becomes much less.

I encourage everyone to take advantage of any resources, such as large companies make available, to model your financial needs in retirement. They can run hundreds of scenarios so you are prepared for the worst.

There are a lot of unrealistic assumptions being made here.

by Anonymousreply 52August 26, 2019 10:38 PM

401k’s can’t get taken away, can they?

What is the best thing for me to do to plan for retirement and/or way for me to get interest on the money I save?

by Anonymousreply 53August 27, 2019 1:51 AM

Basically most of us will not have enough for a secure retirement - because we don’t have the guaranteed income of pensions. We’ve been forced to gamble our retirement in the stock market - making money for financial firms. And if the market tanks, we are screwed.

by Anonymousreply 54August 27, 2019 1:55 AM

Reverse Mortgage for me!

by Anonymousreply 55August 27, 2019 3:36 AM

R54, if it feels like gambling, you should hire a professional money manager. Someone should balance risk against reward. Gambling is random, though weighted so the house wins. Investing isn’t like that.

by Anonymousreply 56August 27, 2019 5:26 AM

[quote] R53: 401k’s can’t get taken away, can they?

Not usually. In most cases, you can be sued and lose everything else, but they can’t touch your 401k.

[quote] R53: What is the best thing for me to do to plan for retirement and/or way for me to get interest on the money I save?

If you are not familiar with mutual funds, I would recommend you hire an advisor. Meanwhile, you should try to learn as much as you can about stocks and bonds and mutual funds. It’s a lifelong project, and I have made a lot of mistakes. They’re all learning experiences. My friend is more comfortable with real estate instead, which is fine. Whatever you are comfortable with.

It’s really important to be diversified. Spread your money around many investments, in case one tanks.

Don’t invest your 401k stock in your employer, except whatever sum they might match. The reason is, in case the business fails, you would lose your job and your savings, a disaster! And, you want to be diversified.

Avoid gold and other metals.

We are entering a funky period, I mean the next year, where I personally think the stock market may drop. A 20% or 30% drop would hurt, but not be a strange thing. Some young people in particular may have not really witnessed a bear market. They are painful!

by Anonymousreply 57August 27, 2019 5:39 AM

I have a pension from a career in government. Also have smaller traditional IRA and a tax deferred saving accounts. I'm sorry I didn't also put savings into a Roth IRA (you deposit after-tax dollars and don't have to pay taxed on it when it's withdrawn). Also have some real estate investments. Most of my assets are not liquid, I still live on a fixed income. My real estate is the only asset that will grow but I'm not seeing much profit at this point.

I feel very grateful and fortunate. I'm not rich and am concerned about the possibility of eventual failing health and the expenses that incurs, but for now I live comfortably but not lavishly.

If I have regrets it's that I didn't start planning earlier. I'm an advocate of multiple ways to save for retirement. Real estate, IRAs, pension (if you can get one), 401K plans, etc. Don't put your eggs into one basket. Diversify.

by Anonymousreply 58August 27, 2019 5:42 AM

Be careful in hiring a "professional" money manager. They are skilled at being nice while separating you from your money. If you go to one, find one that charges by the hour or a flat rate.

by Anonymousreply 59August 27, 2019 5:56 AM

300K would get me through 2 winters in Saas Fee then I'll ski off a cliff.

by Anonymousreply 60August 27, 2019 7:11 AM

The best thing I did with my retirement funds was to move 60% into a Roth IRA I paid taxes up front on the amount but this money and all future earnings are tax free. The amount has tripled and withdrawals are not subject to federal and local taxes.

by Anonymousreply 61August 27, 2019 11:10 AM

General Electric and Verizon sold their Management pension plans to Prudential Life Insurance.

by Anonymousreply 62August 27, 2019 11:28 AM

R6, if all you have is $300,000, you go to Santa Fe, not Saas Fee.

by Anonymousreply 63August 27, 2019 2:40 PM

A professional money manager is not going to save you from losing money in the stock market in the next 2 years. And you could even lose money in bond funds if interest rates go up. There is very little “safe” right now. No one should be counseling to invest in the market right now.

by Anonymousreply 64August 27, 2019 3:45 PM

R64, then a pro would tell you that, right? In theory, I mean.

by Anonymousreply 65August 27, 2019 3:52 PM

Most “pros” are looking to make money for themselves by buying and selling stocks and investments with your money (which they get paid for - from your money). It’s a rare adviser who is fee based. And the good ones are not advising people with $100,000. You can study intensively or try to find a trustworthy adviser, but at the end of the day, it’s one step removed from gambling because no one can predict the future.

by Anonymousreply 66August 27, 2019 4:48 PM

It’s not gambling, but it’s been a long game for me, meaning it’s something I’ve done over the entire course of my life, to make enough to coast on.

All of life is unpredictable, but we don’t call it gambling. I emphasize this because there are people who literally throw money into the market on a poorly performing company, and cross their fingers. Then, the company goes bust. Well, that is gambling, but it’s not the best way to “invest” in the stock market.

by Anonymousreply 67August 27, 2019 7:23 PM

There are plenty of younger advisers looking to build a portfolio.

Close to 20 years ago I met mine. He was calling as part of the financial arm connected to my credit card. Turned out, his dad was a successful wealth manager and he was looking to gain experience and build a client base before joining his firm, and dad had instilled in him that you do right by your clients and you’ll have them for life.

by Anonymousreply 68August 27, 2019 8:22 PM

R60, Santa Fe, Indiana.

by Anonymousreply 69August 27, 2019 10:47 PM

Everyone has different experiences. I’ve had 3 advisers with major firms - none of whom did anything worthwhile, all of whom lost money in the downturn like everyone else. No investment “strategy” can match a pension - guaranteed income until the day you die.

by Anonymousreply 70August 28, 2019 12:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!