Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tatum O'Neal : Will she ever accept Responsibility for her own mistakes?!

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241September 23, 2019 6:06 PM

What the FUCK is with all these O’Neal threads??!!!

by Anonymousreply 1August 23, 2019 9:13 PM

Peter Jackson has been hired to direct the movies of the trilogy.

by Anonymousreply 2August 23, 2019 9:22 PM

A friend of mine was at Disneyland years ago and saw Tatum and her then husband, John McEnroe and kids in a restaurant and he said that Tatum called attention to herself by skipping to a waitress station on some errand. He said he didn’t know she was there but she got everyone’s eyes on her.

by Anonymousreply 3August 23, 2019 9:24 PM

R3 Thanks for sharing this, It's obvious Tatum is an attention seeker, she will continue to cash in on her family dysfunction and blaming her dad for everything went in her life, until her last breath.

by Anonymousreply 4August 23, 2019 9:35 PM

Do you know her personally, OP? Why the interest in her over a period of what sounds like years?

by Anonymousreply 5August 23, 2019 9:45 PM

It's funny how she's singing a different tune now on her Instagram's posts. Crediting her father for giving her all the best qualities and that he taught her how to love! Maybe she's worried she won't be in his will?!

I believe Ryan did the right thing in finally cutting her out of his life for good. Even when she pretended she wanted to reunite with her dad on their fake reality show, just before the show premiered, she went on Howard Stern trashing her father with Howard and then she wants us to believe that her intentions are genuine and it's all her father's fault?!

by Anonymousreply 6August 23, 2019 9:48 PM

I spotted Tatum and McEnroe at Elaine's in 1992 (I was seated in Siberia, but had a decent view). They were dressed down and low-key. They broke up soon after. There was another guy at their table, don't know who. That's all I got.

by Anonymousreply 7August 23, 2019 11:43 PM

Tatum and Griffin's mother was much WORSE than Ryan as a parent, and still Tatum likes to downplay her mother's non existing parenting and faults (like for instance being a pedophile and having 15 years old boyfriend who beat up Tatum and molested her) but still it's all her father's fault.

by Anonymousreply 8August 23, 2019 11:54 PM

Please, R8. WHERE was Ryan when Tatum and her brother were living in squalor? I'm talking about THEN, not when he eventually got custody. Out screwing his latest conquest.

by Anonymousreply 9August 24, 2019 12:04 AM

R9 Ryan tried to got custody twice but the judge said "let's give the mother another chance".

by Anonymousreply 10August 24, 2019 12:10 AM

Some reviews about Tatum's book "Found":

Meh. More of the same things she said in her other book, and her other book was mentioned on almost every page.

I'm convinced she's a bit nutty after watching the show because she's such a nag. She harps on everything her father does, and they're both in therapy, so if they really want to make things work, she's got to back off a bit. If she wants her relationship with Ryan to be smoother, she's got to let go of her bitterness about the past. He's making baby steps but they don't seem to be good enough for Tatum.

She's a really sad individual, who, at one point in this new book (BTW, who writes more than one memoir in a lifetime?), said she's luckier than her brothers because she's been able to be buoyed by her Oscar when times get tough & she feels worthless, and they don't have that. Only a desperately insecure person would feel she matters in this life because of an Oscar.

I hope she finds what she's looking for, but she probably won't

by Anonymousreply 11August 24, 2019 12:14 AM

Is Tatum starting these O’Neal threads? Because there were zero interest before.

by Anonymousreply 12August 24, 2019 12:16 AM

After reading Tatum’s account of her upbringing, I’m pretty sure Ryan was sexual with her. I’ve dealt with children and abuse. The thing that stands out with her is her constant “he’s not a pedophile!” When she was writing the book, no one said he was. She’s overcompensating, and I think she just wants to come clean. However, what is this stupid fascination with a has been actor? His children’s lives speak for itself.

by Anonymousreply 13August 24, 2019 12:21 AM

I like these incessant Oneal threads for some reason. What the hell is wrong with me?

by Anonymousreply 14August 24, 2019 12:24 AM

R13 I don't believe Ryan sexually abused Tatum, she would have said it if he did. But I can see Tatum in the future, after Ryan's death, writing a third book accusing him of this. She has no new material to cash in on it anymore, she said it all in her books and countless whiny interviews.

by Anonymousreply 15August 24, 2019 12:30 AM

Yes, R10, but Ryan was absent from 1966 (when he ran off with pregnant Leigh Taylor Young) to at least 1970. Tatum excused him for what happened early on because he "wasn't there," like he wasn't supposed to be involved. I'm NOT. She's fucked up, he's fucked up and a creep.

"BTW, who writes more than one memoir in a lifetime?"

There are many, but for example, Lauren Bacall wrote THREE. First one , By Myself (1979), a big hit. NOW (1994), a bomb. By Myself and Then Some (2006) better. Where there's $ anyone can "write" their memoir over and over again, whether they're 45 or 75.

by Anonymousreply 16August 24, 2019 12:30 AM

Another reviews about the book:

I am currently mid-way through this book and while I find it very telling, I feel a personality is missing. There is a lot of whiney blame placed on her mother and more specifically on Ryan. I can understand that you had a bad to good and then bad again relationship with your parents but I honestly cannot stand it when people do not take responsibility for their own life.

To blame your father for your heroin addiction is absurd. He didn't shoot you up, you did. While I agree that poor parenting can cause devastation to children, I don't believe in playing the victim role in adulthood and am a strong supporter of building your own life and learning from poor choices.

It seems poor Tatum is stuck in the past, but you only get very quick snapshots of what that past is so you can't really get into the groove of feeling sorry for her. I am reading this story while watching the OWN documentary on "The O'Neals". It is interesting to read what was really on her mind during some of the shows and the behind the scenes.

by Anonymousreply 17August 24, 2019 12:36 AM

I agree, she knows full well Ryan is toxic, yet she continues to have a relationship with him. After that, she can only blame herself.

by Anonymousreply 18August 24, 2019 12:40 AM

I just can't see her going down on Rosie. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 19August 24, 2019 12:44 AM

R19 Tatum/Rosie relationship was just for PR reasons. Tatum even wanted to do a reality show with Rosie and was pushing her to agree but Rosie declined.

by Anonymousreply 20August 24, 2019 12:46 AM

Oh my gosh. Are they still talking?

by Anonymousreply 21August 24, 2019 12:48 AM

On Tori Spelling's reality show a few years ago, she invited her Mom over for one of her kid's birthday parties.

Candy Spelling shows up with her new BFF Tatum O'Neal, who drunkenly tells everyone at the party she's finally found true love locked between Rosie O'Donnell's unkempt and tangled beef curtains.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 24, 2019 12:55 AM

I’ll just assume that patch on her shoulder is fentanyl.

by Anonymousreply 23August 24, 2019 12:59 AM

R21 I'm not sure if they are talking. But It's obvious that Tatum wants to reunite with her father AGAIN, because all her Instagram posts about him are loving, (in contrast to her book version), she's finally remembering the good in him, how he taught her to love and laugh and that she's grateful to have him as a father...

I'm Glad that Ryan cut her out of his life for good this time because It's clear that Tatum thrives on reuniting with her dad and then punishing him over and over about the past.

by Anonymousreply 24August 24, 2019 1:11 AM

R22 Oh man, oh god, oh man, oh god... I wonder if Tatum and Candy are still friends. Maybe SHE'S trying to steal the inheritance from Tori and her brother.

by Anonymousreply 25August 24, 2019 1:18 AM

R24 You’re obviously trolling and are behind these boring Ryan threads.

by Anonymousreply 26August 24, 2019 1:22 AM

In Tatum's first book, She talks about visiting her father after learning he was diagnosed with leukemia, she said that they almost got into a fistfight after remarked to him it was weird having a young girlfriend! and she left it at that, But in Ryan's book, he said that Tatum also told him "at least my mother died with dignity" of course, Tatum left out that part.

First of all, your bad tempered father is sick with leukemia and you had a shaky violent relationship with him, and he's not the first nor the last guy to have a young girlfriend, and she's still pressing on this issue making unfavorable remarks to him about this!!!. The new girlfriend was not Farrah, and Tatum was still acting jealous?!

by Anonymousreply 27August 24, 2019 1:31 AM

R26 Go to Tatum's Instagram page and see her loving posts about her father. Tatum is the one trolling.

by Anonymousreply 28August 24, 2019 1:33 AM

From 2008, after Tatum was arrested for buying crack on the street, this time she blamed her dog (the death of her dog) for her drug relapse:

Her excuse is that she was so shaken up by the death of her dog that she wanted to use. The dog died three weeks ago and apparently each day was worse and worse as she tried to deal with the grief of losing the dog. She says it was her trigger. This was of course after the cops refused to believe her story about the fact she was buying for a role she was playing, and the always popular do you know who I am line. So, now it is the dog dying.

Uh huh. It may have well been, but most people who haven't used in years as she alleges, don't just wander off to the park and then buy as much as she was buying. I mean coke and crack? How about starting off slow on your return to drugs? Do you really need both? And so much of it at that? Were you planning on sharing? A little party perhaps?

Oh Tatum you are so fortunate that the cops got to you just in time. Tell them that in rehab. I heard you were headed there next. I'm sure they will also tell you how fortunate you are that you never lost your sobriety. You know what? All of the other people in rehab who were busted for drugs? It was their first time too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 24, 2019 1:47 AM

OP sounds like a Ryan O'Neal fan who doesn't want to accept that he's a piece of shit. There's a reason why ALL of Ryan's kids are fucked up. Seriously, you guys are using amde up blind items to back up your claims?

Tatum pissed off the Michael stans by saying she believed he was a pedophile......I wonder if the posters here are from Michael's deranged fanbase.

by Anonymousreply 30August 24, 2019 1:53 AM

I am R18 and R26, and I believe she suffered a lot as a child, but she is well into her fifties. She needs to let go. And so does the person keeping these threads going.

by Anonymousreply 31August 24, 2019 1:56 AM

R30 This was not a blind item, the site is mainly about BI, but Tatum blaming her dog death for her drug relapse was news back in 2008 and CDAN was just reporting it plus writing his opinion.

Another site reporting it in 2008

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 24, 2019 1:59 AM

More importantly.

Will Ryan???

by Anonymousreply 33August 24, 2019 2:03 AM

Please, please PLEASE remember that Tatum has three children who are NOT responsible for the chaotic life into which they were born, Each one is a vulnerable human being, all caught in a very extreme situation. They deserve your prayers rather than your scorn.

by Anonymousreply 34August 24, 2019 2:15 AM

Other reviews:

I have followed Ms. O'Neal's career from the beginning and I enjoyed her first book, "A Paper Life". I also watched the Ryan and Tatum reality show on OWN, so I thought this book would be interesting. I was wrong.

What stood out to me most, though, is her tendency to exaggerate and contradict herself, starting in the very first chapter. She talks about being arrested, describes what she was wearing, and says she had no idea she would have to wear those same clothes for the next three days. Just a few pages later, however, she says that when she was arrested she was held for 24 hours. So which was it? That may sound like a minor quibble, but I've noticed inconsistencies like this in all the years I've been following her career and personal story. Every exaggeration tilts in her favor, always adding to her ever-present characterization of Tatum as victim.

I don't doubt at all that Ryan O'Neal was not the world's best father, and I'm sure that her accusations were not created out of thin air. However, I do think that she is overly relentless in her criticism of him and in her habit of blaming him for everything. I take her accounts of her past with a huge grain of salt because she tends to exaggerate pretty much everything. She's in her late 40's now - It's time to either forgive the past and accept who her father is now, or move on.

She seems to take unusual delight in punishing him. Moving out of his house on Christmas Eve and just leaving a note is not something a mature woman who is trying to make amends would do. By her own account, he continually reached out to her and her children, and was met with rejection.

The examples she gives of his temper are pretty tame too. He complained when her son didn't put the cover on the jacuzzi and thought his music was too loud. There was no extreme anger or temper involved in any of this - and certainly no violence. It really seems to me that much of what Ryan said was very typical of what adults say when living with adolescents. She also describes a time when he yelled at her in his kitchen, and came to her room to apologize 20 minutes later. If these are the best examples she can come up with for present-day Ryan, then I would say he certainly is much less a monster than she would like us to believe.

The repeated passages about how much she loves her children and how fantastic she is as a mother were tiresome. Her examples were - again - pretty typical of most parents. She seems to expect accolades for things that most parents instinctively do without thinking. And leaving NYC after 9/11 and missing a custody hearing is not something I can understand. At all. I live in the area too, and on 9/11 and in the time after, I wanted to hold my children close to me - not run to the west coast by myself as fast as I could. Yet somehow she justified it, in a way that I thought was typical of her often selfish behavior and way of thinking.

I started to dislike Ms. O'Neal pretty early on in this book, but I think I was able to be fairly objective re the book itself. And there simply wasn't much to it. Constant references to "A Paper Life", excuse after excuse after excuse about her drug use, and a truly narcissistic tendency to explain everyone else's behavior solely in terms of their relationships and interactions with her.

I understand that a book such as this comes from the point of view of one person, but over and over she tells us how the actions and feelings of everyone else completely revolved around their feelings about her. As though their family, friends, personal situation at the time, and everything else simply did not matter as much as the status of their relationship with her.

by Anonymousreply 35August 24, 2019 2:15 AM

Saving Tatum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 24, 2019 2:25 AM

"I felt awkward and embarrassed while reading “Found” because most of the stories are unnecessary for the public to know about. It reads as if one is eavesdropping to conversation we're not meant to hear. O'Neal whinged throughout book, and kept on promoting her first book “A Paper Life” on every page what made “Found” feels as if it was mere rehash. I finished this book with one thought: did she write it for money? The only answer was yes.

She endured tough life that's understandable but one couldn't help but feel at times that she was a pain in the neck. She seems to be obsessed with her father, and unable to look at herself in the mirror.

This memoir is filled with contradictions. O'Neal insists on making her father appears like a monster– and I'm pretty sure he was not the most perfect dad. I was left confused when she wrote at the very end of the book:

“My dad, because he’s shown me through this journey that he is a courageous parent and a wonderful father.”

Um what?

by Anonymousreply 37August 24, 2019 2:26 AM

[Quote]that Tatum called attention to herself by skipping to a waitress station on some errand. He said he didn’t know she was there but she got everyone’s eyes on her.

When I was at Disney World in the early 90s, I was in some restaurant in the Magic Kingdom (main park) and there were no bathrooms in the restaurant proper. I had to skip to the hostess station to ask where the bathroom was. She told me I had to go outside and use the park bathrooms. I was not happy about that because I wanted to get high, not that I mentioned *that* to the hostess. I have a feeling this is why Tatum was *noticed*, lol. Also, Magic Kingdom restaurants did not sell booze at that time and I don't know if it's changed since then. There's no way I could go through that place not high.

by Anonymousreply 38August 24, 2019 2:43 AM

"I was SO into A Paper Life that I couldn't wait to read this ,This book is 200 pages of Tatum whining about her life and the estrangement of her and her father. It was boring and she's so obsessed with her dad. It's creepy.

I get the feeling that if Farrah Fawcett hadn't died, the tentative reconciliation between Tatum and Ryan never would have happened. Farrah passes away and Sean McEnroe decides he wants to get to know his grandfather, and Tatum reaches out to her father?

She really needs to just "get over" her negative feelings towards her father, and forgive him, and get on with her life, which is pretty remarkable by most standards. "

by Anonymousreply 39August 24, 2019 2:45 AM

The next thread should focus on her performance in this forgotten classic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 24, 2019 2:49 AM

I am sure that this was cathartic for Tatum. I still wonder about her ability to forgive her mother so easily and have such a difficult time accepting her father. Turns out she has proven that the incident with the gun and her brother was not a crazy Ryan.

She shares other stories that show, finally, the other side and it is not all a monster Ryan.

Did he do the right thing when she was young? No. Can that ever be changed? No. I still get the feeling she justifies drug abuse for her and her mother on the unfortunate life they had. There are plenty of people who have had bad experiences and not turned to drugs. Regardless of any questions I was left with I wish her and her family well.

by Anonymousreply 41August 24, 2019 2:51 AM

In her book, Tatum details the "gun shooting" incident between her father and Griffin. As the above review said, it turns out Griffin's version was a Lie and fire poker that hit Griffin's wife in the face was caused by Griffin doing, Ryan used his gun and shot in the air to scare off Griffin.

by Anonymousreply 42August 24, 2019 2:55 AM

R40 Classic?!

by Anonymousreply 43August 24, 2019 2:58 AM

Griffin humiliating his dad in the public - 2003

Ryan had the right to be pissed off at Griffin for this, It's not remotely funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 24, 2019 3:00 AM

When can we discuss the new age cult Leigh Taylor-Young seems to be involved with?! Does anyone have details about the "Movement of Spiritual Inner Awareness," what do they do besides swindling money from people. I suspect Patrick isn't as normal as we think. I don't CARE that this has nothing to do with Tatum!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 24, 2019 3:03 AM

Was this her last great starring acting role?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 24, 2019 3:04 AM

R37, we can all blame John McEnroe for the second book. Had he given her a fair settlement for pumping out three kids, we would have been spared her further insights. Money should have been put into an income producing settlement/trust, obviously she had a shit lawyer.

by Anonymousreply 47August 24, 2019 3:07 AM

[quote] BTW, who writes more than one memoir in a lifetime?),

Who reads a celebrity’s multiple memoirs?

by Anonymousreply 48August 24, 2019 3:11 AM

I met Tatum once. On a morning TV show. Local NBC. She looked great. That scratchy voice. Soft spoken and rather boring. Dressed klassy -- crisp shirt, blazer. She was very sexy.

by Anonymousreply 49August 24, 2019 3:13 AM

More reviews:

"Tatum's first book was disappointing, if only because she wasn't ready to provide any kind of balanced view. Okay, no problem. The whiny title of that first work tells us what to expect, and that was her catharsis.

As far as this book goes, I did see the Tatum and Ryan series on OWN, and was thus surprised that this book was out there. Tatum briefly explains some of that at the end of the book. But this is really a bit sloppier than the first book, in that it seemed to hop all over the place and needed a little more work in construction. Not only that, it was a total rehash of the same stuff, just including a few updates and anecdotes.

But the contradiction in all this is that Tatum purports to want her career back. I might not be some show business insider, but it occurs to me that if you keep reminding everyone on earth that you are somehow "damaged goods", getting the right people to go to bat for you might be hard to do. Why not lay low on this subject, be "normal", stay in recovery, and then have the right people believe in you?

She blames her father and criticizes him often. I do think Ryan O'Neal was a poor father, but the bashing got old after a while. "

by Anonymousreply 50August 24, 2019 3:20 AM

Ryan had 3 shitty kids out of 4. What are the odds?

by Anonymousreply 51August 24, 2019 3:25 AM

You actually copy and paste reviews of Tatum O’Neal’s multiple memoirs as well as reading them and posting threads about them?

by Anonymousreply 52August 24, 2019 3:26 AM

"I'm not sure I've ever heard a more self-serving autobiography. Even if everything she says is true, she rarely accepts responsibility for her actions. Everyone is trashed and caused her self-destructive behavior.

It is obvious she grew up in a situation where it would have been very difficult to avoid many of the issues she has dealt with. Still, she rarely accepts responsibility even as she gets older. And she has had drug issues since this book was released. So she still hasn't learned her lesson.

I feel that she could have done a lot more personal reflection instead of so much whoa is me. I read this one and her father's back to back. I am sure the truth is probably somewhere between the two books"

by Anonymousreply 53August 24, 2019 3:38 AM

I'm enjoying these Tatum/Ryan threads and appreciate OP posting them. I'm also of the same generation.

Kevin McEnroe appears to be heir apparent to carry on Tatum's occupation of making a living off of writing books about the family addictions. Tatum's daughter also does a podcast about the same thing, or at least used to.

Kevin wrote a fictionalized book about his grandmother Joanna Moore who he only met a couple times. He complains about how hard it is to be John McEnroe and Tatum's son, I've never heard of him before and I doubt paparazzi are chasing him around, he's delusional. Both he and his mother look sleepy in this interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 24, 2019 3:50 AM

Ryan has 4 shitty kids. I think I think Patty is the worst of them all.

by Anonymousreply 55August 24, 2019 3:54 AM

R54 2 years ago, Tatum did a flop podcast exactly with the start of #MeToo movement, she teased to dish the "dirt" on her father and family dysfunction and she repeated the same old tired stories. Nobody cared and the podcast stopped after few episodes.

It's interesting that Tatum is tying to make amends (again) with her father these days, I wonder what are her motivations now because she apparently loathes the man? a new reality show? a new materials for a new book?

It seems that Tatum (and her kids) will continue to make a living by trashing Ryan and blame all their mistakes on him.

by Anonymousreply 56August 24, 2019 3:58 AM

OP is working through some personal family trauma using the O'Neals as Barbie dolls.

by Anonymousreply 57August 24, 2019 6:32 AM

R57 No, I just hate hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 58August 24, 2019 7:15 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 24, 2019 7:18 AM

wie der Vater so die Tochter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 24, 2019 10:38 AM

Rosie O'Donnell & Tatum O'Neal Mulling Reality TV Offer!

Rosie O’Donnell and Tatum O’Neal have been dating for just a few weeks, but they’re ready to cash in on their relationship: RadarOnline.com has learned that the couple has been offered a deal for a reality TV show — and they’re considering it!

Even though the couple has been together for less than two months Opens a New Window. , “A production company has expressed interest in doing a reality show with Tatum and Rosie,” a source told Radar. “Tatum had done a reality show with her dad, Ryan, and even though it caused headlines for all the wrong reasons, she loved doing it.”

“Rosie, however, is very hesitant to do a reality show Opens a New Window. because of all the turmoil going on in her life,” the source continued. “She’s facing health problems, an ongoing custody battle and legal issues with her adopted daughter, Chelsea.”

“But Tatum has been pushing for the show to give Rosie a platform to reveal her side of the story.”

O’Neal only recently publicly revealed she was a lesbian and a family sources told Radar, “Some doubt the sudden change in her sexuality. Tatum will do anything for attention.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 24, 2019 3:28 PM

I'm Glad Rosie didn't do it, It would have been a disaster. But it's clear that's the only way for Tatum to get attention after her stories about her dad had been milked to death.

by Anonymousreply 62August 24, 2019 3:37 PM

"I do think Ryan O'Neal was a poor father, but the bashing got old after a while."

WHAT the hell else is Tatum supposed to talk about, her illustrious career? Today her career IS BEING Tatum O'Neal, and we all know what that's about. If you don't like hearing her stories over and over, ignore her.

Regarding the books and the repetitions and contradictions, Tatum probably poured out her thoughts on tape bulking it up to meet the minimum material needed. Then a really bad ghost writer and editor put the book together. Tatum didn't sit there typing out a manuscript trying to drive you crazy. The first book was talked about a lot when it came out in 2004. Don't know about #2, no one I knew was interested in it. There's always more interest when she's feuding with Daddy-O.

by Anonymousreply 63August 24, 2019 4:32 PM

She's contradicting herself because she's only focusing on (and probably exaggerating) the negative stories, and deliberately leaving out any positive/good ones. She's hell bent on portraying her father as monster. Not as flawed man with bad and good traits. That's what some people would find out after reading other sides of the story of their family drama (including Tatum 2nd book).

It's true she has no career now, but It's disgusting to make a living by trashing your father for about 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 64August 24, 2019 4:48 PM

Write her a letter if it bothers you so badly, R64.

by Anonymousreply 65August 24, 2019 4:58 PM

Has Tatum ever dated anyone post McEnroe and aside from the Rosie pr stunt?

by Anonymousreply 66August 24, 2019 4:58 PM

R66 According to her, she dates mostly women now.

by Anonymousreply 67August 24, 2019 5:00 PM

Even though she said on Howard Stern (in 2011) that she was "straight" when Howard asked her directly if she was a lesbian, in 2015, she said she's dating women.

by Anonymousreply 68August 24, 2019 5:06 PM

She is a good example of how a very likeable and charismatic child actor doesn't necessarily evolve into a very likable and charismatic adult actor, like Anthony Michael Hall and Molly Ringwald.

by Anonymousreply 69August 24, 2019 5:17 PM

Other reviews:

"I agree with many of the reviewers that Tatum does not take a lot of responsibility for her actions, and that a lot of the episodes that she recounts do not ring completely true and sound incredibly one-sided.

I find it a little hard to believe that literally everything she says has happened exactly as she has said it. Don't mistake this skepticism for a lack of respect, but I have to question just how much of it has come about because of some sort of breakdown... and realistically, if it all was that bad, why she decided to make a reality TV fiasco out of reconciling with her father.

We can only hope that she overcomes her personal tragedies enough to make it into a successful old age."

by Anonymousreply 70August 24, 2019 5:23 PM

"I am a fan of autobiographies as a rule but, this one is just ridiculous. Apparently, nothing is her fault. All of the drug use , the fact she quit school at a young age, her violent marriage, it’s every one else that’s to blame.

I have to take everything she says with a grain of salt; who knows what is true with this story. She writes "I was the youngest Academy Award winner ever" so many times in the book it could make for an intoxicating solo drinking game.

My dad was not perfect, made a lot of mistakes but I tried to make the best of what we had until he died. Just my opinion but it seems like as much as her dad apologizes to her for his mistakes, it does not seem like Tatum ever truly forgives him in this book. She makes comments about the past that he cannot change and never eases up. As a parent, I know I am not perfect but at some point your kids need to let things go and move on. It seems like she wants to nail him to a cross and leave him to suffer for awhile before he is forgiven. "

by Anonymousreply 71August 24, 2019 5:45 PM

"I was appalled at Ryan O'Neal's behavior as a parent after reading A Paper Life, but her complaints about him in this book, as he is in the present, were petty.

From his viewpoint, she abandoned him by not inviting him to their wedding, to see his grandchildren when they were little, not being there when he was diagnosed with leukemia and throughout Farrah's illness, and so on. But he opened his home to let Tatum and her grandchild live there and did do quite a bit of caretaking--when she was sick twice, helping Sean with lines and financially, and doing the reality series to make her happy.

Getting upset that someone allowed their housekeeper into their bedroom where the freezer leaked isn't unusual, especially because he's older and it was probably an adjustment for him living with his daughter and grandchild again.

I had always assumed the Griffin and poker incident was Ryan's fault, but I'm not sure how anyone would react coming home and seeing that their 42 year son had chained up a younger son, and then was attacking you with a fire poker. I think many of Griffin's and Tatum's addiction issues are as much genetic as they are anything else.

Ryan is 71 years old, his kids are 50 and late 40's, and haven't really done much of anything but use him when they can for a TV show, for money, for housing, when they're sick, whatever. He has been called out and apologized on national TV for being a terrible parent, what more do they want?

He gave them a platform, financial security, and clearly loves them. Addiction isn't the fault of a parent--it's a disease--one that's tough on parents and all of the family members. The kids, including Tatum, seem ignorant of how much they put Ryan through with their issues. If Redmond and Griffin hadn't been addicts, Ryan wouldn't have come to be attacked by fire poker when he was in his 60's. Blaming Ryan for their drug problems is pointless and doesn't help any of them.

His children kind of contributed to the decline of his career - having your child kill the son of a major Hollywood film producer reflected on Ryan at the time and had repercussions but he did stand by Griffin. I think they're spoiled and oblivious to the true culprit -- the disease of addiction.

I hope the next book she writes is about other people and their struggles or how she came to terms with her dad before he died. In the present tense, O'Neal has done nothing but try to help and repair his fractured family. I hope he can before he dies.

And it's a little odd how the mother's responsibility in all of this is minimized. She was a serious addict and it was at her house the kids got into drugs and were left alone. I give him credit for fighting to get the kids back and having his parents help raise when he wasn't there. And yes, he should never have left them when they were teenagers, but he did have adults there to supervise them -- and he can't go back and undo that decision."

by Anonymousreply 72August 24, 2019 5:56 PM

Why do you continue to post review off of Amazon as if they prove something? For all we know you could be writing all of them under different pseuds, because, you know anyone can post anything on there. You post these as if they're peer reviewed scholarship or professional book critics or trained addictions counselors or therapists or something...

by Anonymousreply 73August 24, 2019 6:02 PM

R73 Believe whatever you want, Don't really care.

by Anonymousreply 74August 24, 2019 6:05 PM

Other reviews:

" I found this to be disappointing and a repeat of what transpired on her show. This is a grown woman who really needs to get over herself. While I greatly admire her for overcoming her addictions, she comes across as a whiny, jealous little girl who seems to want to be her father's girlfriend instead of his daughter."

by Anonymousreply 75August 24, 2019 6:07 PM

I read A PAPER LIFE when it first came out and thought it was really good. I got to see a side of Tatum O'Neal I had never known existed, the part of her that she kept hidden for so many years. When I heard about FOUND, I figured that it would pick up where PAPER LIFE left off, talking about her ups and downs and reunion with her father. What I got instead was 224 pages of a plug for their new TV Show on Oprah's network (the book ends soon after the first episode).

I didn't learn anything knew about Tatum. She repeats herself over and over again, explaining how she sees things and how she can't change her father's ways and can only learn to accept him as he is. I'm not convinced she's as "well" as she makes herself out to be. Reading between the lines, she seems like she's still angry and hurt and full of resentment.

She tells readers (repeatedly) that she just wants her father to take responsibility for her poor childhood and for all the things she blames him for (this is also the running theme of their TV show). She wants to talk about the past, he doesn't and round and round they go. After a while, I just wanted to shout, "Wake up! He's not going to say the things you want him to say, so move on!"

Although Tatum goes to great lengths to convince readers (and viewers) that she's in a better place and is finally comfortable with herself and all she's gone through, I get the feeling that that's not completely accurate. Tatum still seems to resent her father and still seems to be very angry.

I also get the feeling she's very jealous of Ryan's relationship with Farrah (Fawcett). She talks about being left at the curb when he moved in with Farrah and how she & her brother were left to fend for themselves. She talks about how she barely knew Farrah and the last time she saw her, however, they touch on this subject on their TV show and I get the feeling Tatum wasn't being completely honest in her book (about the number of times she saw Farrah and how well she knew her).

While I could understand feelings of resentment or jealously when she was younger, she's all grown up now and I don't understand her feelings towards Farrah. I get the feeling that she wanted Ryan to choose her over Farrah and I don't think that's completely fair. Ryan deserves to love and be loved and I don't think he should ever have to choose between a lover and a child, yet I get the feeling that Tatum resents the fact that Ryan moved in with Farrah. I don't think it was ever his intention that he was choosing one over the other (Farrah over Tatum), yet that's how Tatum views it. I find it rather sad that she never allowed herself the chance to really know Farrah and/or have a relationship with her. Maybe her life would have taken a different direction if she had allowed that to happen.

I didn't find the book the least bit interesting and it certainly didn't make me want to watch the TV show. She keeps telling readers how afraid she is that her father will back out, but she says little about how she feels and/or what she wants out of it (or what she hopes VIEWERS will take from it).

UPDATE: I have watch a few episodes of her show and the more I see, the less honest I feel Tatum was in her book on several subjects. It also cements my belief that Tatum is not in THAT great of a place as she makes herself out to be in the book. Tatum seems very controlling, and wants to have all the answers. At times it seems like she's trying to act as a therapist for Ryan rather than a daughter IN therapy trying to mend fences.

I just felt like this was a book full of Tatum's stories and excuses and explanations as to how she sees her father and ex (John McEnroe) and her children. And yes, I know it's her book, but there's lots of blame to be placed, lots of finger pointing, very little responsibility and/or effort on her part. I still get the idea the real Tatum is hiding and that readers haven't met her yet. A PAPER LIFE was a good start (but even that she tells readers was somewhat of a lie as she wasn't as "together" as she led readers to think she was.

by Anonymousreply 76August 24, 2019 6:15 PM

Wasn't there a photo in one of these threads of Farrah at one of Tatum's baby showers? They must have been some kind of relationship if even just superficial.

by Anonymousreply 77August 24, 2019 6:21 PM

R77 Yes, That's what I'm talking about! She has recently posted a picture on her Instagram with Farrah and grandmother during her baby shower. I was surprised because she never talked or even mentioned this in her book, It was all just negative stories about her dad and Farrah. She gave the impression that she never met Farrah except in their racquetball matches. That's why I'm saying Tatum is not being honest in her books or interviews. There are many things left out.

If you read Ryan O'Neal book, you will find there was more contact and positive incidents between them than Tatum ever divulged.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78August 24, 2019 6:31 PM

R72 "I had always assumed the Griffin and poker incident was Ryan's fault, but I'm not sure how anyone would react coming home and seeing that their 42 year son had chained up a younger son, and then was attacking you with a fire poker."

I also believed it was Ryan's fault and believed Griffin's made up version of the story, and thought Ryan was lying when he explained the incident in his book. It turns out that Ryan was telling the truth and even Tatum recounted the same version of her dad story.

It just proves the sad fact that the public now have a preconceived judgement/idea about Ryan O'Neal (Thanks to Tatum and Griffin), that's he's a liar and everything is his fault and doesn't deserve any sympathy (or even positive threads about him).

by Anonymousreply 79August 24, 2019 6:43 PM

I didn't know who these people were until these threads started and I'm finding it fascinating. Ryan sounds like a terrible person but Tatum seems exhausting. I have a shitty parent (not as bad as Ryan though) and at some point you have to either just cut them out of your life or start over as adults and except them for who they are. I feel like she's stuck on the past which is no good for her or her kids.

by Anonymousreply 80August 24, 2019 6:46 PM

"My husband and I watch the TV show of Tatum and her father every week and I've read her second book. After a couple of episodes we began to see many of the same points that you made in your review. Tatum does seem to focus mostly on blaming and punishing her father for his past transgressions and she often seems to twist/embelish the truth to suit her.

Her unrelenting jealousy of Farrah often seems to be what drives her anger. She doesn't ever seem to take the time to look in the mirror and wonder what part she may have played in how things turned out. After seeing them interact together on the show, it seems that over and over he is the one swallowing his pride and reaching out to her to try to heal the past and move forward. All she seems to want to do is live in the past and punish him for it.

She seems to be too busy pointing fingers to see the olive branch he extends and TRY to get to a better place with him. So sad to see that she can't get out of her own way to meet him half way. As a child of the 70's, Tatum was an idol of mine for years and years, now I really wish that through the TV show I had not seen this side of her!! "

by Anonymousreply 81August 24, 2019 7:55 PM

"I think Tatum is a spoiled adult brat who still thinks she is a big star. Ryan made mistakes but he is open about them. To me, his biggest mistake was not setting father daughter boundaries between them. Ryan was the sole parent at a very young age with other children coming along , a stressful personal life & a demanding career. He made Tatum a big child star, a millionaire & was the sole caregiver.

She just couldn't ever get over the fact that he wanted to sleep with Farrah! Now that her father is past 70, battling leukemia & other health issues, Tatum wants to forge "a loving relationship with him" at the curious time she wants to publish yet another "abused rich movie star child" tell all book. Of course, Ryan must apologize first on a reality show staring her!

One of his alleged abuses was that poor little Tatum had to get her Oscar with no one there when the reality was that Ryan was in England working on a film to support this brat in the style she took for granted & she was chaperoned to the academy awards by her grandparents. She is a terrible role model for her 3 children, has been divorced & picked up for soliciting heroin on the streets.

Ryan admits his frailties & shows some maturity & real understanding whereas she is still in a time warp. No one really cares about her angst of being a rich brat who still thinks she is a star. Without her father, Tatum would never have had anything. She will always be the same. Poor Ryan....if the leukemia doesn't kill him, his children will!"

by Anonymousreply 82August 24, 2019 8:09 PM

Okay we get it, there are some negative reviews about this book on Amazon!!!!

Look, a positive review!

"This memoir had me riveted from the start. For anyone interested in recovering from childhood trauma and addiction with grace and poise, as Tatum Oneal has, i highly reccomend this book. Tatum's insights into her own harrowing experience within the dark abyss of addiction and the potholes one encounters along the road to recovery were spot on. I found her voice to be very authintic and brave. How harrowing to share your scars and missteps and faults on such a public scale, and do so with such grace and honesty. I thought her accounts of her life were very insightful and helpful for someone who has gone through very similar experiences. Loss of a mother to cancer, addiction, sexual molestation, rageaholic father, troubled siblings, tom boy back ground, guarded relationships, narcissitic romantic partners, depression and lonliness. I found this book incredibly healing, and a helpful, loving hand to hold while taking stock of my own life experiences. Thank you Tatum. xoxo"

by Anonymousreply 83August 24, 2019 8:31 PM

Tatum Finally remembering the good in her father! (I hope Ryan won't let her back in his life again, he deserves to be left in peace without Tatum or Griffin's craziness and opportunistic needs)

tatum__oneal

Happy Father's Day Dad . Just tripping on as all my style choices adventuras !! Here's to making me laugh harder than anyone else has not even close . Funniest man in the world you don't beleive me . Check out what's up doc ! 💘 I thank Ryan Oneal my dad for teaching me so many things but being able to laugh at myself has been the most valuable love you pops 🙋‍♀️!! 🌹💘 #jaysebring cutting my hair

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84August 24, 2019 8:31 PM

A 1-star review of Ryan's book:

"For years, he lived off of her. After his celebrity light dimmed, Farrah did those wonderful TV movies, and Ryan lived off of her. He was jealous of her statue, and caused arguments with her, giving him opportunities to cheat and be a slime ball. Yeah, I know. This idiot waxes poetic about how much he loved her, but listening to his kids you find the real story. He was a user and abuser, making HER feel guilty for what he did. Read thru some of the letters he wrote to her. It was all her fault he broke off the area relationships with his children. Lies. The kids knew what a creep he was and didn't want him around their children now, or before when he was living the narcissistic life off of Farahs money. I thought he was creepy back when I first saw Love Story. Everyone else thought he was wonderful. Puke. This book explains why he is a pitiful human being who used a wonderful lady until she had no more to give. I'm so glad she gave all of her money to Redmond. She must have seen what a real creep he always was."

by Anonymousreply 85August 24, 2019 8:32 PM

"As I started reading this book I was shocked in the very first chapter to find O'Neal discussing intimate details about the first time he and Fawcett had sex! I would have thought that if he truly loved Farrah that some things would/should remain personal! I found that starting in about the 3rd or 4th Chapter that there is an under tone to this book. Some may call it a love/hate relationship, but after finishing the book, I found that it seemed more like O'Neal didn't like Farrah let alone love her. Why would I say this, because he makes her out to be a woman going through menopause during more than half of their relationship, claiming this is the reason for many of their fights! She was always mad at him and he admits deserving that anger, yet turns it around each time claiming mood swings, fights, temper tantrums etc., by Fawcett! Farrah Fawcett is America's Icon and loved by so many, but O'Neal seems to berate her in this book. Are there some sweet moments, yes there are, but more often than not, times he describes as his fault seemed to always be turned around to be her fault. And the way he talks about his children is horrible! Yes, many of their arguments are about Redmond and how he should be disciplined, but again Ryan continues to talk about Farrah's anger! I truly believe that this was not a love story book, but in fact tarnishes the reputation of the woman America and the world loved so much! If you were a fan of Farrah Fawcett and you really read this book without the rose colored glasses, I think you will see that the way O'Neal writes this book is not a tribute but a put down to Farrah! I would not recommend this book to anyone that grew up loving Farrah! It leaves a bad taste and is depressing and tends to make one look differently at Fawcett without knowing if what he has written is even true. I personally don't believe all the accounts that O'Neal discribes in this book! Finally it seems that this love/hate relationship turned to hate and appears to me to be a way of trying to ruin her reputation, her "idol" status and her geniune personality that always was shown in interviews and TV appearances! I think Mr. O'Neal should be ashamed of this book and what he has written about a woman that cannot defend herself or her actions that O'Neal describes in this book! After reading I was depressed and sickened by O'Neal's account of "their lives together"! If you were a fan and loved Farrah, don't read the book!"

by Anonymousreply 86August 24, 2019 8:32 PM

"I really wanted something about his relationship with Farrah not his self absorbed look at me, look at me story. To me I heard, I was with this famous person, and then this famous person, then this one, but she was messed up, I am better than that so I went to this famous person and I only hang around really uber famous people because I'm awesome. The nail in the DNF coffin here- when he talked about their relationship while she was still with her husband, how Lee was drunk, Lee was working,.. oh this was a winner, Lee told me to take her out. Oh I see, that makes it ok then. Bah, selfish turdbucket. He hunted her, and she was easy prey, it sounds like. But geesh, WTH ?!?!!? He said she was the love of his life why drag this uninteresting story back up ? Oh yeah, I get it because you wanted to talk about all the big HOT Hollywood parties you went to. Still trying to hang onto her coattails Ryan ? He dumped his kids, his ex-wives and wondered why things were the way they were. Once again- pompous turdbucket. I only got through 1/3 of it. I never got to the part where I had respect for him. In her last months the media portrayed him as this noble man taking care of the love of his life. Sorry I don't believe it anymore, after the first portion of the book. The only person this man loves his his media persona. I am so disgusted by this man's over the top self deluded self promotional fantasy. I hope I never read another book tis awful again"

by Anonymousreply 87August 24, 2019 8:33 PM

tatum__oneal

My mommy and daddy !!! Lucky me !! #ryanonealjoannamoore

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88August 24, 2019 8:34 PM

It's funny that Tatum is saying in that post that "my dad literally extracted me from Cher's house". She didn't mention her father at all in her first book when she talked about Cher. She gave the impression that her dad really didn't care about her spending days staying at Cher's!

tatum__oneal

My favorite thing in life was being on her @cher show and having a gown made by @bobmackie that was my size to do an impersonation of her on the show .That Cher show is somewhere out there !! @cher is and was the coolest woman on this entire planet, and she let me be a part of her family with her @pauletteakapauly and and Cher’s beautiful mom and sis !!! I stayed with them for a minute best days of my life mand my dad had to literally extract me out of her house on Carolwood off sunset . That was right next-door to the Jane Mansfield house with the heart shaped pool. Anyway thank you @Cher and @pauletteakapauly for letting me be a part of your life because for me it was a spectacular moment in time that I will never forget . As their were not a lot of woman around me at the time . I shall cherish those moments forever . @pauletteakapauly Is driving and is cut out of the photo . Really annoying .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89August 24, 2019 8:37 PM

Tatum's hypocrisy is blatant!

tatum__oneal

Dear Daddy , Happy St. Valentine’s Day ! ♥️ I found a picture of us in better times . I want to tell you that I am me because of you, and I mean all my good qualities . The way I have taught my children the joy of irony and how to love . The ability to laugh ourselves . Love of movies . I wish things could be different that I could have made choices you could be more proud of . I have to live with myself and take pride in the woman I am today for better or worse . All I wanted, was for you to feel my love for you and know there is no preexisting reasons except that I love you . !!Just know that ! Baby Mozart at your feet . Love your daughter 🥰😘👫

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90August 24, 2019 8:39 PM

It seems like there are two Tatum O'Neal's. One who loves him and won who can't stand him.

Lots of conflicting emotions with her.

by Anonymousreply 91August 24, 2019 8:53 PM

Fame really messes people up. I don’t think her problems are as much rooted in her family, as having had to be weaned off the spotlight. She’s obsessed with the past. God, I know people like that and it’s just their prestigious former job they can’t stop yapping about, so having experienced a childhood like hers must be a huge head trip. These threads are fascinating to me, btw. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 92August 24, 2019 8:54 PM

Seems like she's remembering the good time with her dad now, Where were these memories in her opportunistic books and reality show?!

tatum__oneal

Me my dad and #candydarling

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93August 24, 2019 8:59 PM

Always posting about her "abusive bad" father:

tatum__oneal

me and griffin and my dad and leigh taylor young .. Have no idea where we are !!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94August 24, 2019 9:03 PM

It seems that her "abusive" father tried to take care of her while she was still living her addict negligent mother who didn't even bath her:

tatum__oneal

‘ I ain’t a Boy’ ! Movie trivia me and looks like a pretty cool hair guy . #jaysebring i think . I may be wrong but he was killed by the Manson family ... Don’t know who took the photo ..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95August 24, 2019 9:06 PM

tatum__oneal

I think this my favorite picture of my mom and dad @ryan_o_neal and #joannamoore .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96August 24, 2019 9:08 PM

Where were these fond memories?!

tatum__oneal

i’m like ‘hold that thought ‘.!! #tb #Tommypreimere!! i should mention that the gown was made by @bobmackie for my appearance on #thechershow i’m pretty sure @pauletteakapauly was with me !! ♥️♥️

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97August 24, 2019 9:10 PM

Tatum can't even get herself to mention Farrah's name?! still bitter after 40 years?!

tatum__oneal

I remember when Red’s mom my brother was making this movie . #smokeyandthebandit R I P @farrahfawcettfn #burtreynolds

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98August 24, 2019 9:12 PM

OP, please leave the O’neals alone. They are a lost cause and a waste of time for us all. Let it go.

by Anonymousreply 99August 24, 2019 9:13 PM

Ryan having fun with Tatum on the set of little darlings (of course she didn't mention that/it was all abuse and beating in her book Or what the movie's director said about calling her father to the set to help his daughter act).

tatum__oneal

#littledarlings @cynthiaenixon she was a leader back in 1976

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100August 24, 2019 9:17 PM

Tatum never mentioned Farrah or her dad attending her baby shower, among the many other positive things she left out.

tatum__oneal

Throw back to my baby shower for @kevinjmcenroe with my agent #suemengers #farrahfawcett and my grandma Patsy Oneal I look like I am 15 but I am 22.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101August 24, 2019 9:21 PM

Poor woman, she's always stuck in the past!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102August 24, 2019 9:24 PM

Why didn't Leigh Taylor young parent her?

by Anonymousreply 103August 24, 2019 9:30 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104August 24, 2019 10:40 PM

In 2014, Tatum and John McEnroe son, Kevin was arrested for drug possession. Did Tatum blame her father for her son addiction and arrest too?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105August 24, 2019 10:56 PM

Kevin McEnroe looking rough, with tattoo of his grandmother, Joanna Moore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106August 24, 2019 11:00 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107August 24, 2019 11:17 PM

Ryan, that's enough. We get your point.

by Anonymousreply 108August 24, 2019 11:19 PM

R108 Go to bed, Tatum.

by Anonymousreply 109August 24, 2019 11:25 PM

I'm Glad Patrick O'Neal came to his father defense and called Tatum out on her shameless hypocrisy:

Today, Ryan’s other son, Patrick O’Neal, a FOX Sports sportscaster is coming to his dad’s defense.

“I love my dad. I’m proud of my dad. He was awesome,” Patrick told Billy Bush in a new interview for Access Hollywood. “Ryan O’Neal — he was my hero.”

During that “Today” panel, Dr. Nancy Snyderman said, “This was a window into dysfunctionality and sad parenting,” while Donnie Deutch said, “These kids are so messed up and that is clearly a guy that should not have had the license to have kids.”

But Patrick couldn’t disagree more.

“I thought, you know what? You take my dad’s license away, I’m not here, my two beautiful daughters — Sophia and Veronica are not here,” Patrick said. “They love their granddad. It was just disrespectful.”

In his new book, “My Life with Farrah,” Ryan laid part of the blame on Griffin and Tatum’s mother, the late actress Joanna Moore, who also struggled with addiction.

“His legacy is not going to be that he was a bad parent, OK? Because I’m here to say that in my case that is not true,” Patrick said.

And Patrick said his experience was different than Tatum’s.

“Tatum wrote a book about how bad everything was,” he said. “I could write a book — it might be pretty boring — about how awesome my childhood was.”

“Give me examples of how dad loved you and was a good father,” Billy asked.

“I have a couple of letters here that I kept over the years,” Patrick said.

The letters, between father and son, are touching and heartfelt, and Patrick read excerpts out loud.

“’Dear Patrick, you’ve only been gone two days and you are missed. Redmond wanders around aimlessly calling, ‘Pat, Pat.’ I told him, ‘Pat work,’ but he still looks for you. I guess I’ll have to do until we get home,’” Patrick read.

“I have kept all of his letters to prove how much love there was between us,” the proud son added.

Patrick said that although Ryan and his mother couldn’t make it work, his father was always present in his life.

“Him and my mother, Leigh Taylor Young — she’s wonderful – he would pick me up every single weekend. They split up when I was about 4. But then it was, ‘Beep! Beep!’ and there’s the Rolls, jumping in, going to the beach or going to his other house up in Beverly Hills,” Patrick recounted.

Patrick also brought along birthday cards Farrah had written, complete with lipstick kisses.

There was also a long letter he sent his dad after Farrah had passed away.

“I said, ‘Dear Dad, Farrah was such a special person. Things I remember — boy, she loved to cook. She was always in that kitchen whipping up something good to eat,’” he read. “’I remember that crazy bathroom she had and that big closet with all those clothes. You had the little closet but you didn’t care. Farrah, of course deserved the big closet… I remember hiding in the sauna with Griffin when I was around 10, nearly passing out, and not being able to control my laughing when she walked in naked. Griffin was mad at me, but you weren’t, you both thought it was pretty funny.’… [She was the] coolest woman in the world.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110August 24, 2019 11:32 PM

#BelieveAllWomen

by Anonymousreply 111August 24, 2019 11:35 PM

Tatum on the Cher Show....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112August 24, 2019 11:41 PM

Since he wasn't there, Patrick has no right to question or attempt to silence Tatum or Griffin.

by Anonymousreply 113August 25, 2019 12:02 AM

Patrick didn't try to silence Tatum. He's just telling his side of the story because Ryan is his father too and he's calling Tatum out ( as I'm doing in this thread). She just wants to talk only about all "the Bad" stuff about her dad and leaving /hiding the good side/fond memories , which she's miraculously remembering these days on her Instagram! Patrick simply says he could write a book too focusing on the good stuff but it will be boring and no one would believe it anyway.

I'm Glad Patrick has been there for his father.

by Anonymousreply 114August 25, 2019 12:10 AM

She can talk about whatever the fuck she want to, R114. Wherever the fuck she wants to. Get the fuck over it.

by Anonymousreply 115August 25, 2019 12:26 AM

R110 Patrick didn't even appear to be raised by Ryan, so who the fuck is he to comment on their lives?

She probably IS sad that her *only* father is elderly and dying, yet she can still hate him for how he was to her. Again, I don't think he was an abusive monster to her. People are allowed to have complex emotions about things, it's not hypocrisy. The world isn't black and white. Maybe she has 1 good memory for every 5 bad memories, so what?

by Anonymousreply 116August 25, 2019 12:26 AM

R115 Calm the fuck down, Tatum

by Anonymousreply 117August 25, 2019 12:27 AM

Again, it's not hypocrisy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118August 25, 2019 12:29 AM

R116 Patrick can talk and defend his father as he wants because he's Ryan's son and he had been there (even if not as much as his siblings), Still he spent time with his father, Farrah and Tatum and saw the dynamics. I'm glad Patrick is defending his father while he's alive.

by Anonymousreply 119August 25, 2019 12:32 AM

R119 He had fun with his dad on weekends for 48 hours, it's not like Ryan was actually RESPONSIBLE for Patrick's upbringing. I mean, ffs... look at Redmond. He raised that little shit!!

by Anonymousreply 120August 25, 2019 12:37 AM

1985- Tatum O'Neal watching boyfriend John McEnroe with her father Ryan O'Neal during match at National Tennis Center.1985

Ryan (after Farrah!) tried to be supportive to his daughter and her boyfriend, and still she cut him off her wedding and continued to punish and blames him constantly her whole life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121August 25, 2019 12:39 AM

[quote]So, when "Today" host Matt Lauer asked O'Neal, "Were you a bad parent?" he said, "Looks like it, doesn't it? Sure looks like it. I suppose I was."

[quote]O'Neal said he was never "trained" in parenting, noting his children are now adults and responsible for their own actions.

Most people aren't "trained" in parenting, Ryan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122August 25, 2019 12:41 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123August 25, 2019 12:42 AM

Sure, his kids are responsible for their actions, but let's not pretend they aren't influenced by their childhoods.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124August 25, 2019 12:43 AM

R122 He tried the best he can, given the circumstances he was in.

by Anonymousreply 125August 25, 2019 12:44 AM

But yes, Tatum's a hypocrite for posting a photo of her 10-year-old self with Candy Darling and Ryan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126August 25, 2019 12:44 AM

People should take parenting classes. He should have taken parenting classes. Were they even available back then?

by Anonymousreply 127August 25, 2019 12:45 AM

Nobody bought them my book, evidently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128August 25, 2019 12:47 AM

Patrick O'Neal continues to have his father's back.

Patrick O'Neal Thank-you Chris! Nobody better than you to tell my positive story about my father and my love for him. I challenge @latimes to tweet out this story so others can see the good in my Dad for a change.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129August 25, 2019 12:47 AM

Any actor/superstar in Ryan's position would have done the same regarding his parenting esp back in the 1970s, The only difference that Ryan's kids had No stable mothers.

by Anonymousreply 130August 25, 2019 12:50 AM

Okay, but just as a human being... if the mothers of your children are awful people, time to step it up as a father. Even if you're a superstar! If you don't, well... don't be upset when 3/4 of your children are fuck-ups and can only earn a living by writing books trashing you as a person.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131August 25, 2019 12:53 AM

Tatum, Get off DL and go make peace with your father. Before it's too late. I can see a drug relapse in the future, of course, it will be blamed on your father's death, also don't be acting like the grieving daughter, because Patrick and Ryan's friends will call you out on your BS.

by Anonymousreply 132August 25, 2019 12:58 AM

R132, you are soooo boring. Don't do that "Tatum" thing, that's more boring.

by Anonymousreply 133August 25, 2019 1:01 AM

R133 Thanks

by Anonymousreply 134August 25, 2019 1:02 AM

R131 Again, Ryan did the best he can given the strange circumstances, we are not talking about a father living an average normal life. Plus, the kids came to him, after living with their addict crazy mother, unstable kids with emotional baggage and problems. He couldn't deal with all of that alone, he tried to put them in boarding school more than once, but his trials failed, the kids, in particular Tatum, rejected the school and insisted on living with him Not even he stable grandparents.

by Anonymousreply 135August 25, 2019 1:07 AM

R89 I know Cher supposedly does not drink or drug, but she sure looks wasted in that pic!

by Anonymousreply 136August 25, 2019 1:13 AM

Tatum fiercely guarding Kristy McNichol's kitty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137August 25, 2019 1:16 AM

R112 Ahh, I miss variety shows.

by Anonymousreply 138August 25, 2019 1:17 AM

"Little Darlings" is not available for viewing in any format last time I checked, am I right? I'd like to see it again. I remember Tatum looking so cute in it, and wearing diamond studs in her ears.

by Anonymousreply 139August 25, 2019 1:18 AM

In that Cher clip, Tatum demonstrates how similar her delivery is to Ryan's. That uniquely soft-spoken, engaging, well-enunciated delivery.

by Anonymousreply 140August 25, 2019 1:22 AM

R122 Ryan is not denying he was a poor father. At least he's admitting his faults. but it's no win situation for him. What do people expect him to do?!

Also, he's not the first nor the last poor father particularly in Hollywood. He is not a criminal, murderer or pedophile to have his personal life shadowing his acting career.

Marlon Brando was a shit father who even molested his daughter Cheyenne and no body outraged about his poor parenting the way they are doing to Ryan. Because Marlon was a better actor?!

by Anonymousreply 141August 25, 2019 1:23 AM

It's probably because Cheyenne is dead and hasn't written a book trashing him. If she did, oh boy, the Brando apologists would be out in full force.

"Cheyenne Brando: Will she ever accept Responsibility for her own mistakes?!"

by Anonymousreply 142August 25, 2019 1:26 AM

Ryan's correct honest conclusion about his daughter Tatum (From his book):

"Tatum only had two options: marry a rich and famous man and we know how that worked out -- or continue as an actress, but Tatum was never able to make the transition from appealing child to accomplished adult."

I think that's Tatum biggest problem but she's just using her father as a punching bag.

by Anonymousreply 143August 25, 2019 1:28 AM

It's a pretty harsh conclusion, R143. Ouch.

by Anonymousreply 144August 25, 2019 1:30 AM

R144 Harsh but very honest. That's why Tatum needs to reassess the root of her real problem and take some responsibility for her fate instead of blaming others particularity her dad.

by Anonymousreply 145August 25, 2019 1:35 AM

John McEnroe said in his book that Tatum was restless to have a successful acting career during their marriage and kept auditioning for several movie roles but to no avail, After the divorce, Tatum accused John in the media of preventing her to pursue a career which John denied. Anyway, after the divorce and away from her "abusive" estranged father. She still she failed to achieve success in her acting career as she hoped. then sliding into drug addiction,at the time she blamed her mother's death and John marrying another woman.

But by the time of her 2nd book and reality TV show, Tatum turned things around and blamed her drug addiction (during 1990s and 2000s) on her father (she was estranged from him for years at the time of her addiction)!! and also changed her early tune and kept praising John McEnroe and blamed her fucked up childhood on the failure of their marriage.

Tatum is the epitome of contradictions, twisting the truth and blaming others for her own mistakes.

by Anonymousreply 146August 25, 2019 2:05 AM

It probably didn't help any of the O'Neals that Griffin killed Coppola's son. They probably placed a curse on them, on top of blacklisting them.

by Anonymousreply 147August 25, 2019 2:14 AM

I could see Tatum O'Neal playing the title role in The Accused I think she would have done a good job with that. She just didn't have the right parts offered to her.

by Anonymousreply 148August 25, 2019 2:26 AM

R147 Probably.

Regarding Griffin murder, Ryan did stand by his son and financially supported him with defense lawyers, if he was monster dad as they like to portray, he could have disowned him and distanced himself from Griffin's problems.

Of course, Tatum's only comment about that subject in her book, that Ryan was mad at his son, and said "you murderer, look at what you did to us" A normal response from any father to his murderer son. but still Tatum left out the part of her dad standing by and supporting Griffin during that time.

by Anonymousreply 149August 25, 2019 2:30 AM

Tatum did good in paper moon, but what happened? Did her acting fall off? I feel like if she were a good actor in adulthood she would have had a great career. She had every advantage in this regard, her looks, her father's connections, her success, thanks in no small part to her father, in paper moon, yet she still couldn't parlay into an adult acting career. Not on the scale anyone, and in fact she would have expected given those advantages. I think part of her anger with her father is about that.

by Anonymousreply 150August 25, 2019 2:38 AM

R148 Tatum couldn't act as an adult plus, she has no appeal whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 151August 25, 2019 2:39 AM

One more contradicting story from Lying Tatum:

In her 2nd book "Found", Tatum made it clear that the reality show with her father was her idea and she was the one convincing/pushing her dad to do it and how afraid she is that her father will back out, (I had no idea about all of this before reading her book), because in different interviews promoting the show, including Howard Stern, Tatum made it like it was a mutual idea and when Howard asked her "Is your father that desperate to be on TV?" , Tatum said yes. I honestly believed her, I haven't read her 2nd book yet.

In Ryan's book, He said he wasn't happy doing the show and did it only because his daughter "has nothing else to do". I didn't believe him at the time reading the book, but it turned out he was telling the truth, Tatum confirmed the same thing in her 2nd book , while lying in interviews portraying her father as being desperate for the show, while it was her idea and pushing Ryan to do it and that he agreed trying to make her happy.

Not only he agreed to be on the show, he produced it "In 2011, Ryan and Tatum attempted to restore their broken father/daughter relationship after 25 years. Their reunion and reconciliation process was captured in the Oprah Winfrey Network series, Ryan and Tatum: The O'Neals, which O'Neal produced. It only ran nine episodes."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152August 25, 2019 3:22 AM

Tatum playing nice with her father, saying "My dad did a lot of good for me" in March 2018, just few months after trashing her father in her flop podcast in December 2017:

"Tatum O’Neal has a special message for her estranged father : I’m sorry.

“I want to say to my dad, if you’re watching this, I love you. I’ve always loved you and forgiveness is the best policy,” the actress told Ryan on the Mar. 27 episode of Megyn Kelly TODAY.

“My dad did a lot of good for me and I have to just respect his life and his process. Maybe someday he and I will have a moment where we [reconcile.]”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153August 25, 2019 12:16 PM

I wonder where were all "the good" her "monster" father did to Tatum in her books and interviews over the years?!

Again, I hope Ryan won't fall into her fake nice act this time, and won't let her in his life again, as soon as he lets her, she will use him as a punching bag, punishing him again over her failures.

by Anonymousreply 154August 25, 2019 12:23 PM

[quote]What the FUCK is with all these O’Neal threads??!!!

The first one seemed like it was one of the old biography threads we used to have. Someone would post lots of excerpts from memoirs and biographies, and at the time I thought that one just happened to be about Ryan O'Neal.

Then the OP started saying things about how a young 12-year-old Tatum needed to accept responsibility for giving her dad boners, and I realized this was a freaky Ryan O'Neal stan. I think this is the fourth thread now, maybe fifth? All dedicated to making Tatum pay for what's she's done.

It's creepy as hell.

by Anonymousreply 155August 25, 2019 12:26 PM

I wonder if Tatum was a boy instead of a girl would she be getting this treatment on Datalounge. In fact, her brother Griffin has said much worse about Ryan for a long time, and had he ever been a movie star, could have sold a 1000 page book.

by Anonymousreply 156August 25, 2019 12:33 PM

Other reviews:

This thin, self-serving memoir consists of little more than a list of the alleged cruelties perpetrated upon Tatum by other people, especially by father Ryan and ex-husband John McEnroe. Although in the early pages Tatum claims to identify herself with her immortal childhood role in Paper Moon, the smart and feisty Addy, it's impossible to find any resemblance to Addy in this self-portrait of an eternal victim.

Ironically, however, the single worst villain in Tatum's gallery is not the mother who chose addiction over her children and exposed Tatum and her younger brother to genuinely horrific forms of deprivation before finally abandoning them completely. To the contrary, Tatum manages to center what little forgiveness she can muster on her mother, perhaps because this is whom Tatum actually identifies with, while her father Ryan, who was comparatively the more responsible parent, merits virtually no kind word from his daughter.

Nor does the fact that Ryan was obviously shocked to find himself the sole parent for his children when he himself was a very young actor just beginning to make a career in Hollywood earn him any empathy. That he has proved himself to be a gifted performer while Tatum has been mostly unemployed earns him no respect, not from this drug-addicted daughter.

by Anonymousreply 157August 25, 2019 12:38 PM

"Tatum admits in the book that she lied so much in her youth, I'm wondering how much of her story is really true.

"A Paper Life" isn't quite an autobiography. It feels more like eavesdropping on a private therapy session; a catharsis on paper. That focus on the negative is certainly understandable --but after awhile it gets rather uncomfortable to read only the bad, never the good.

"A Paper Life" brutally rips away the veils, revealing Tatum O'Neal's difficult life. But be forewarned: It's less an autobiography than a chronological therapy session."

by Anonymousreply 158August 25, 2019 12:53 PM

"As other reviewers have commented, she seems so completely self-absorbed, and the name-dropping comes across as pathetic. Being that she has gone through rehab MANY times and been in therapy extensively, you would think she would be more enlightened to her own role in her problems. Not true. In this book she blames everyone around her for her problems. Even when her manger Sue Mengers advised Tatum against attending a movie premiere with Michael Jackson because he's a "N***r", Tatum admits her father didn't have a problem with her going out with Michael but she still puts the blame on her father!

It's true that, as children, we cannot control our surroundings, but as adults we are responsible for our own actions. Tatum, still blames everything on her father, her ex-husband and anything else available to blame. She writes herself as being an innocent by-stander and victim. I'm not buying any of it. When her daughter walked into her bedroom and found a syringe (she was using to inject HEROIN), her father, mother, or her ex did not put it there, SHE did. She seems to lack any sense of personal responsibility for her actions and that's appalling.

Even when she wrote about her ex taking custody away because of her heroin addiction, she writes about it as if he was evil and 'stealing' the kids away. What choice did he have? It was in the best interest of his children. I think Tatum still has a lot of growing up to do.

by Anonymousreply 159August 25, 2019 1:02 PM

"I really came to this book with no opinions whatsoever. I didn't know much about her life other than I really enjoyed her in her adolescent movies. After having read the book, I don't even know what to say except that I hear an addict blaming everyone else for their problems. Is it possible that no one at all was ever nice to her? Even the ones that were nice to her, eventually did her wrong??? I was very disappointed in this book and consider it to be very whiny and unbelievable that it actually happened that way.

I can see an addict continuously making the wrong choices, but at some point you have to take responsibility for your own life. I find it so hard to believe that her father was abusive at every turn. I have an addict in my family and I notice similarities and the "I didn't do it" attitude.

by Anonymousreply 160August 25, 2019 1:11 PM

"I know that her life has been difficult at best. She should be commended for dealing with her abusive past and addictions. I just can't stomach all of the finger pointing she does. She does not take responsibility for anything, even her addictions she called a substitute for her father's fists in her youth.By the time the book reached September 11, 2001, I was half convinced Tatum was going to blame the terrorism on Ryan as well.

She blamed him for her husband John losing tennis matches. She blamed him a wreck she had when she and a friend borrowed her mother's car at age 14. And what was not blamed on her father was blamed on John. It was his fault that she had an affair. It was his fault that she turned back to drugs. It really did get ridiculous.

Tatum may have been an amazing talent at age 8 in "Paper Moon," (which I think she dwells on a little much) but as many child stars do, she grew out of most of her talent. Anyone who saw any movie she was in from "Little Darlings" on has to see this. It was sad to listen to this person go on about her depression over not being cast in any roles in adulthood and not understanding why.

At one point Ryan offered to help her with a made for television movie. When she protested, he said, "Tatum, you're horrible. You can't act!" She commented on the cruelty and untruth of his statement. I don't think that a truer statement could be made. It was all just very sad. In the audio version, her speech patterns, annunciation, random pacing, and attempts at character voices made the book laughable."

by Anonymousreply 161August 25, 2019 1:19 PM

"The only bit that I got from this shambled mess is: She was a great actress (a LONG time AGO - in a handful of movies.) She's a great mom (when she has custody, is not high, in rehab, or hanging out with her artist friends or personal trainers.) And, that her father is a horrible, horrible man - blamed for all of the failures in her life thus far (see "Paper Moon II" for future failures and blames.)

PLEASE...I almost threw up in the middle of reading it, I thought it was just that bad. I must have really wanted to get my $$$s worth. Oh well. I finally simply had to laugh at the name-dropping throughout and hypocrisy in it.

Good luck Tantum. You certainly sound like you need it."

by Anonymousreply 162August 25, 2019 1:23 PM

"This book was a waste of time and money. Nobody has the perfect parents or the perfect childhood. It doesn't give you an excuse to become a drug addict. There comes a time when you need to grow up and take responsibility for your own life choices. The book should have been titled... "A Blaming Life"

I should have felt sorry for Tatum with all that she went through as a child. But I found myself not believing most of what she said... not because I thought any of the people in her life were so great, she just does not come off as believable. Instead, she comes off as a spoiled-rotten, name-dropping brat.

To me listening to her stories everything was and is everyone else's fault. Take the blame for your own mistakes after you've grown up."

by Anonymousreply 163August 25, 2019 1:27 PM

"Good gossip but questionable truthiness! She admits to being quite a casual liar many times in the book so who knows what is true and what is not.

Name dropping martyr. WE KNOW SHE'S THE YOUNGEST WINNING OSCAR WINNER IN HISTORY after reading it a million times. Validation seems to continue to be a huge problem for Tatum, even at the conclusion of her book.

I came away thinking she didn't have any real emotional attachment with anyone except herself and that she meant only to divulge painful episodes in her past so that others could have a chance to pity her. She manages to place blame on everyone around her (her father, her husband) and doesn't seem to learn any real lesson from the things that happened.

The tales do border on unbelievable. With all the material she had to work with she didn't put any body & soul into this book & we never really do get to know her. I know I wasted my money in buying this book "

by Anonymousreply 164August 25, 2019 2:16 PM

While I am enjoying these O’Neal threads, the Tatum-Ryan drama is exhausting. Are they exhausted? I bet old Ryan is. Or maybe they both weirdly enjoy this turbulent dynamic. Again, this would be the perfect next “Feud” series.

by Anonymousreply 165August 25, 2019 2:38 PM

R165 I do think that Tatum Enjoys the turbulent relationship and probably addicted to it. If he was the "monster" father she portrayed, why doesn't she cut him off for good, she's the one who's always coming back, even by her own admission in the book, but instead of mending the relationship and letting go of the past, she keeps digging in the past, punishing her father over her failures. That's why, she's playing nice to him in the past couple of years, because she can't leave it alone, she wants to enter his life and the all bashing will start again, Or maybe she's eyeing his will now, because Tatum and her brother Griffin are both broke.

Regarding Ryan, I'm sure he's exhausted by all this and I hope he won't fall for Tatum's nice toxic acts. He had enough problems now.

by Anonymousreply 166August 25, 2019 8:22 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167August 25, 2019 9:34 PM

Random thought time. I miss Dana Plato. I wonder what she would be up to right now 😑

by Anonymousreply 168August 25, 2019 9:38 PM

In November 2017, Tatum started a podcast with her daughter Emily, She devoted several episodes in trashing her father with the same rinse and repeat stories, Tatum (or her daughter) promoted the podcast on some online sites with something like "Tatum is dishing the dirt on her family, she let it all hang out". However, the podcast flopped and was cancelled within few months.

Then in March 2018, (from R153), Tatum miraculously remembers the good in her dad, asking for his forgiveness, saying "My father did a lot of good for me" and hopes for reconciliation!

A reconciliation?? after she was just trashing her dad in a podcast just couple of months ago!

I think Tatum is an attention wh**e and mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 169August 25, 2019 9:48 PM

R169 Obviously she's mentally ill, didn't you read those articles about the effects of neglect on abuse on adult children RYAN?

by Anonymousreply 170August 26, 2019 1:32 AM

I wonder if they'll include Ryan and Tatum in that montage when they both die, for obvious reasons Griffin won't be included.

by Anonymousreply 171August 26, 2019 2:34 AM

(I guess Tatum has to be included... she did win an Oscar)

by Anonymousreply 172August 26, 2019 2:36 AM

I listened to the podcast and enjoyed it, though nothing stood out. It was the same old stories.

by Anonymousreply 173August 26, 2019 2:48 AM

R173 Yes, It was the old tired stories, but what's surprising, after the podcast got cancelled, she appeared on Today, asking for her father's forgiveness, saying he did a lot of good to her and hoping for another chance of reconciliation! Strange she was just bashing him only 2 months before!

by Anonymousreply 174August 26, 2019 2:54 AM

How is a podcast “cancelled” though? Can’t anybody just do one? I assume she simply stopped.

by Anonymousreply 175August 26, 2019 2:57 AM

She needs Iyanla to fix her life.

by Anonymousreply 176August 27, 2019 1:22 AM

Tatum's mother was far WORSE than Ryan and yet Tatum and Griffin are always trashing their father, who is better by comparison. Tatum didn't recount these stories in her book Or that her father tried to intervene/help her when she was fighting with her husband:

Confessions of a Hollywood P.I. by Hollywood Private investigator, Don Crutchfield:

There are times when a parent is clearly responsible for a child’s problems, like when a mother foists her drug habit upon her kids. What chances does any child have to grow up whole under such circumstances? I got to see some of the tragic results of this situation when I worked on a case involving the actress Joanna Moore and her children, Tatum and Griffin O’Neal.

When I entered the scene, Tatum O’Neal and her then-husband, tennis star John McEnroe, had returned from Wimbledon to LAX and were met at the airport by Joanna Moore. Tatum loaded most of the luggage into her limousine, but inadvertently put a couple of bags containing valuables into her mother’s Mazda, a car that had been purchased by Tatum. The next morning, Tatum realized her mistake and phoned her mother, who had a very unusual story to tell.

Joanna Moore claimed that the car had been stolen overnight and that she didn’t know anything about her daughter’s valuables. Tatum knew this story was a fabrication, so she called me into investigate. Tatum told me right off that her mother had a serious drug problem, and expressed no doubt that Joanna had stolen the bags Tatum was missing a piece of Louis Vuitton luggage that held a smaller Cartier bag containing passports, $160,000 worth of jewelry and $15,000 in cash.

Tatum’s skepticism about her mother’s story turned out to be well founded. Joanna Moore lived in a Sherman Oaks apartment building with a security garage. She claimed to have parked the Mazda on the street that night because the garage gate wasn’t working. I contacted several of Joanna’s neighbors, all of whom stated that there was absolutely nothing wrong with that garage gate. “How do you want this handled?” I asked Tatum.

“I want my mother to admit she did it,” my client instructed. “I want her to go into rehab and get some help for her drug problem. If she doesn’t go for that, then I don’t give a damn if you put her in jail. I’ve just about had it with her taking advantage of me.” I immediately placed surveillance on Joanna Moore and applied myself to retrieving Tatum’s belongings. I wanted to meet with Joanna, but knew that would have to wait.

by Anonymousreply 177August 28, 2019 12:38 AM

Joanna had already reported the Mazda stolen to the police. She was going to be hard to nail, but I had an idea. Maybe I could get to Joanna through her son, Griffin O’Neal. In 1986, I had worked on the defense team for Griffin when he’d been accused of manslaughter in a Maryland boating accident that took the life of Gio Coppola, the twenty-three-year-old son of director Francis Ford Coppola. Griffin, who was twenty-one at the time, was indicted on six counts, including boat manslaughter.

Griffin told police the Gio was piloting the fourteen-foot boat when it ran into a tow line connecting two power boats. But eyewitnesses swore under oath that Griffin was at the helm when the collision occurred. To make matters worse, Griffin’s blood-alcohol count was far beyond the legal limit. Apparently, the two-year drug rehab program he completed in 1985 didn’t work.

Before the trial, we took Griffin to Hawaii to get him cleaned up. He was supposed to spend two weeks at one of those rehab places where they shave your head and put you through a kind of boot camp. We hoped the judge would be favorably impressed that Griffin was trying to turn his life around. Naturally, Griffin wouldn’t cooperate. I had assigned a PI named Cliff Stewart to put Griffin on a plane to Hawaii, accompanied by an attending psychiatrist. When Griffin tried to bolt, I had Cliff fly to Hawaii with him and deliver Griffin to the rehab center personally. Shortly after he returned from rehab, Griffin faced a court trial with no jury. Fortunately, the judge threw out the manslaughter charges. Griffin was found guilty of negligent boating and sentenced to thirty days of community service.

Griffin was lucky. The Maryland judge even consented to allow him to do his community service in Los Angeles. Instead of thanking his lucky stars that he was let off easy, Griffin ignored the sentence. That was his pattern. Griffin had been busted numerous times for driving under the influence. Eventually his license was taken away, but he kept right on driving. However, this was a far more serious matter. A young man was dead because of his negligence. The Los Angeles authorities grabbed Griffin and extradited him to Maryland, where he did thirty days of hard time. That should have taught him a lesson-but it didn’t.

Griffin is the kind of guy who doesn’t learn from his mistakes. Furthermore, he can’t be trusted. Tatum confided that she once invited Griffin over for dinner. John McEnroe and the kids were there, and they were all having a nice meal. Suddenly Griffin excused himself to go to the bathroom. When her brother didn’t return, Tatum went to look for him-only to find Griffin in the bedroom rifling through her dresser.

by Anonymousreply 178August 28, 2019 12:40 AM

Griffin is a kid who has never answered to anyone. Whenever the chips are down, Griffin’s dad always bails him out. After Griffin sold a tell-all story about his father to the National Enquirer, Ryan cut off his funds. But he eventually allowed the boy to get back on the gravy train. Maybe if this kid had been forced to sink or swim just once, he’d grow up. Meanwhile, I needed this flake to help me retrieve my client’s valuables.

When I found Griffin, he assured me had had cleaned up his act, was off drugs, and was about to marry his girlfriend, Rima. He also informed me that he didn’t want to have anything to do with his mother and therefore couldn’t help me.

“I can’t be around her,” he said, because she turns me on to cocaine. She’s always been a bad influence on me.”

When I first started dealing with Hollywood celebrities, a mother’s pushing drugs to her son would have seemed as heinous a crime as incest. But in this modern-day Babylon, there aren’t many taboos left. I still thought it important to enlist Griffin’s cooperation-even though I had a feeling he would repeat my every word to his mother.

“Tatum and I are convinced that your mom stole those bags,” I told the son. “On top of that, she has filed a false police report, which means that she’s in pretty deep. But I’m on the case now, and I’m pulling all the strings. I can make the police go away, but I need to have those bags back, with everything that was in them.

“The worst thing that can happen is if I leave this case, because then the insurance company will get involved, and they’ll hound your mother forever before they pay out all that insurance money. Or I can call the dogs off now. Then everyone will write the whole incident off as a big mistake. Tatum just wants her stuff back. And she wants her mother to deal with her drug problem.”

As I spoke, Griffin O’Neal just nodded his head in agreement. I didn’t trust him-not for a second. In fact, I strongly suspected that Griffin might have been in on the heist. I left Griffin’s house without anything solid. But hopefully I’d given him enough motivation to try to convince his mother to talk to me. In the meantime, I continued my surveillance.

At one point I spotted Joanna trying to ride a bicycle while walking her dog. Unfortunately the dog pulled so hard that Joanna fell off the bicycle. She proceeded to get back up and ride a few more feet. Then the dog pulled on the leash again, and Joanna came crashing down off her bike. I felt as if I were watching a Charlie Chaplin film, observing this crazed subject continue her bizarre cycle of riding, getting up, and falling down again. I was getting some good laughs on the job.

by Anonymousreply 179August 28, 2019 12:41 AM

Unfortunately the situation was no closer to being resolved. I grew more nervous with each passing day. As time slipped by, the probability increased that Tatum’s jewelry was being fenced for pennies on the dollar. My best hope was to keep pressuring Griffin to set up a meeting with his mother. Eventually that’s what happened.

A meeting was finally arranged to take place in his apartment on a steamy Tuesday afternoon. Griffin and his girlfriend, Rima, lived in a dive in a decrepit North Hollywood neighborhood. The instant I walked through the doorway, the overpowering odor of dog crap nearly knocked me off my feet. The couple had a Doberman pinscher and a pit bull. It was painfully obvious that those dogs went to the bathroom whenever and wherever they pleased. I thought I was going to pass out.

Rima was embarrassed and started to mop up some of the excrement. But it was going to take more than a mop to get that place in shape for anyone other than a couple of whacked-out drug freaks. Joanna arrived a few minutes later, and I asked her to sit in a low, straight-back chair. I then proceeded to drop onto the sofa. I mean that literally, because the sofa didn’t have any springs. All of a sudden, my butt hit the floor, just what I needed, a Griffin O’Neal trick couch. Now Joanna was sitting about two feet higher than I was. Not the greatest configuration for interrogating a subject.

I finally managed to hoist myself up, when I noticed Griffin fidgeting in the kitchen. I observed him as he walked over to a tape recorder and casually flipped it on. I raced into the kitchen, turned the recorder off, grabbed Griffin by the shirt, and threw him onto his springless couch.

“Sit down, stop fidgeting, and don’t move until I tell you,” I said. Griffin seemed shocked that I had laid hands on him. But for once he obeyed. I was finally ready to begin my interrogation. I hammered Joanna with questions for nearly an hour, warning her of dire consequences if she continued her deceit. Joanna was nervous, but she held fast to her story, as I had expected. “I wish I could help,” she said again and again. “You will help,” I told her. “I’m not here to hurt or embarrass you. But I’ve been hired to get your daughter’s things back, and I intend to do just that. Lady, you’ve got a real foe and your hands now.”

by Anonymousreply 180August 28, 2019 12:44 AM

I didn’t expect Joanna to confess, but I could tell I had gotten to her. When she walked out of Griffin’s house that day, Joanna knew I wasn’t bluffing and hounding her until I got what I was after. The only remaining question was what she would do about it. I didn’t have to wait long for my answer.

The day after my meeting with Joanna, a mysterious call came into the Screen Actors Guild. A woman claimed that her son had stolen Tatum O’Neal’s car. She wasn’t willing to give her name, but wanted to help Tatum get back the car. SAG called Tatum’s business manager, and someone from his office contacted me. It wasn’t hard to figure that Joanna was behind this little scheme.

The mystery caller referred to the missing vehicles as Tatum O’Neal’s car-even though the car was registered in Joanna Moore’s name. I found the Mazda unlocked, exactly where they mystery caller had said it would be. The rear seat was folded down, providing access to the trunk. There I found the Cartier bag, full of jewelry. A few hundred-dollar bills were scattered around the trunk. The Louis Vuitton bag wasn’t there. Neither were the $15 thousand or the passports.

As I drove away from the scene, a dark thought crossed my mind. Joanna had left the car unlocked. Anybody could have come along and stolen those jewels. If that happened, I would have been the prime suspect. Now I was fuming. This drug-crazed thief had tried to set me up, and she nearly succeeded. I‘d worked too long and hard to have my reputation ruined by a stunt like that. It took me almost half an hour to cool off.

Finally I felt composed enough to call Tatum on the car phone. “Any progress?” she asked.

“Absolutely,” I answered. “I’ll be at your place in about ten minutes with some of your goods.” Tatum was glad to recover the jewelry, even though most of the cash was still missing. I stepped out of the room for a minute. When I returned, Tatum was sniffing one of the crumpled hundred-dollar bills I’d found in the Mazda.

“That’s my mother’s scent,” she announced.

Tatum’s investigative technique was a little weird, but she was convinced. “These bills have been in my mother’s possession,” she repeated. I couldn’t very well dispute my client’s conclusion, especially since I believed she was right.

At this point Tatum seemed satisfied. She was ready to let the matter go, but I wasn’t. After all, she was still missing her Louis Vuiton bag, the passports, and most of the cash. “Just tell your mother I want to talk to her again,” I advised, “though I seriously doubt that she’ll be willing to go through another encounter with me.”

Tatum heeded my advice, and Joanna made it clear that the last thing she was wanted was to face me again. Eventually, Joanna confessed to Tatum and returned $12,000, of the money plus the missing passports. She also agreed to get help with her drug problem. At that point, my involvement in the case was officially over-although the family’s problems have apparently not abated.

by Anonymousreply 181August 28, 2019 12:47 AM

Griffin O’Neal’s continuing propensity for violence was evidenced by a 1992 arrest for assaulting his ex-girlfriend and firing a .44 magnum in her parked car. He also violated my commitment to Tatum to keep the story of her mother’s thievery out of the tabloids. Although the headline story in the Enquirer did not specify Griffin as the source, my investigation proved that he was indeed the “source close to the family” who had sold the story, probably to obtain money to support his ongoing drug habit.

Griffin’s treachery came as no surprise. I’ve been around too many druggies and dopers to expect anything else. A guy like Griffin cares only about getting the next fix-even if it means dropping a dime on his own mother.

Still, if that mother is the person who turned you on to drugs, doesn’t have a right to expect better. Shortly after Griffin sold his family out to the tabloids, Tatum and John McEnroe ended their six-year marriage. Although Tatum had won an Oscar for Paper Moon as a youngster, her movie career had been stalled for years.

With her marriage on the rocks, she fell into a deep depression. Before long, Tatum was spotted partying in New York, and rumors of cocaine use abounded. Tatum had always impressed me as a stable person, so those rumors were troubling.

Still, I was hardly surprised. If I’ve learned anything, it’s that drugs are part and parcel to the Babylon lifestyle. If you add to the mix a child growing up with an addicted parent, it’s hard to avert disaster. In September 1995, Tatum checked into an exclusive drug rehab center in Connecticut for a twenty-eight day cleanout.

Shortly after her release, she was again spotted hanging out with a high-rolling, coke-snorting crowd. A few weeks later, reports had her checking into New York’s Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center for another round of drug treatment.

by Anonymousreply 182August 28, 2019 12:49 AM

By now John McEnroe had seen enough to convince him that his ex-wife was an unfit mother with a drug problem that wasn’t likely to go away. When they first split, the couple shared custody of the kids. It eventually became clear that Tatum was unable or unwilling to perform her parental duties.

“Mac has been assuming almost all the parental responsibilities for the past several months,” a close friend of his told a reporter. “He takes the kids for haircuts, to the doctor, to school, and out for fun. He’s maintaining a family life for them.” “I’m fighting to protect my children from a sick woman,” McEnroe told the friend.

“Kids need a full-time mom they can count on twenty-four hours a day. A nanny can only do so much. Tatum can’t be trusted to take care of the kids. When they’re with her, I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat worrying about them.” At this writing, John McEnroe has filed for sole custody of this and Tatum’s three children. He seems serious about doing whatever is necessary to realize that goal. “Get me all the evidence you can,” the tennis star told the private detectives he hired to follow his wife. “I’m taking those kids away from her-even if I have to spend years in court.”

Given Tatum’s behavior and family history, one can hardly argue with the man’s concerns. If I were in John McEnroe’s position, I would probably do the same thing. Like many other unstable parents, Tatum seems determined to hang onto her children, however much it might hurt them.

At one point, Tatum enlisted her father, Ryan O’Neal, to intercede on her behalf. “What do you want to do, kill her?” Ryan reportedly screamed at his former son-in-law during a heated phone conversation. “Those kids are all she’s got to keep her sane. You take them away, and nobody’s going to be able to put back the pieces again.”

Excuse me, but I always thought that parents were supposed to be there to support their young children, not the other way around. Once a parent is under the sway of drugs, she may desperately want and need her kids. Unfortunately, she is probably the last person who should be given the responsibility for raising them.

by Anonymousreply 183August 28, 2019 12:51 AM

Ashley, whatever happened to client confidentiality?

by Anonymousreply 184August 28, 2019 12:58 AM

I spoke/typed, honestly, not Ashley don't know what happened there. 🎤?

by Anonymousreply 185August 28, 2019 1:04 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186August 28, 2019 11:26 AM

"These days I treat him with respect and love. He told me he's sorry for the past. "

Treating him with love and respect then going to Howard Stern show literally ripping her father there, what kind of a mature woman who is trying to make amends would do this? and the next day on Today show, when her father was upset with the interview, Tatum played the victim as usual, blaming Howard Stern this time saying "Howard tried to break us up!" .

What a fake toxic woman. As I've said before, her father should have cut her out of his life long time ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187August 28, 2019 11:39 AM

In 2012, As usual, Loser Tatum was punishing her father for her failures and for being broke and of course blaming him for her drug relapse.

Tatum and Griffin have no problem in humiliating their father and constantly reminding him what a terrible father he was, while using him to get jobs, or have places to live, or rescue them.

March 8, 2012

Tatum O’Neal and her father, Ryan, got into a heated fight at his Malibu mansion during the holidays, and shortly thereafter the troubled Academy Award winning actress had a cocaine relapse , RadarOnline.com is exclusively reporting.

“These two have gotten into arguments before, but this one was an epic one,” a source tells RadarOnline.com. “Tatum was upset that she’s broke and that their failed reality show for Oprah’s OWN network was canceled, and that Ryan wasn’t doing anything to help her. Tatum accused him of being a narcissist, and he got in her face and told her to get the f*ck out of his house. He accused her of being a horrible mother and that just pushed her over the edge, because one of her children had been living with Ryan.”

With Tatum’s financial situation in dire straits, and no acting prospects on the horizon, she turned to cocaine. “It was so sad, Tatum felt so alone and she needed to numb the pain because it was just too intense. She went on a bender for about two weeks before she recognized that if she didn’t stop she would die,” the insider says.

“Tatum is broke. She didn’t have the money to pay for the upscale facility she is at and so she asked Redmond for a loan,” the insider told RadarOnline.com. “He was happy to loan the money to his sister, with the understanding that their father Ryan would pay him back. However, Ryan and Tatum got into another epic fight recently and he told her he reneged on the offer to pay Redmond back. It now looks like Redmond won’t get his loan back, which actually doesn’t bother him all that much, he’s just happy to be able to help out his sister.”

Meanwhile, It appears that Ryan “has absolutely no plans for paying Redmond back. Ryan says that unless Tatum apologizes to him, he wants nothing to do with her. It’s truly sad that this family can’t get along,” the source says.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188August 28, 2019 3:17 PM

"Kids need a full-time mom they can count on twenty-four hours a day. A nanny can only do so much" - McEnroe

Didn't McEnroe encourage Tatum to give the nanny more responsibility because he was jealous of the children early on? He wanted her to spend more time with the real baby - him.

by Anonymousreply 189August 28, 2019 4:06 PM

R89 That's what Tatum said in her book, I take her words with huge grain of salt, she's not honest in her stories and contradict herself all the time. Even if McEnroe said that at one time, I'm sure he didn't want a nanny for his kids when their mother was a full blown addict.

by Anonymousreply 190August 28, 2019 8:41 PM

Griffin is finally admitting that the root of their problem is much bigger than Ryan and that his early drug introduction came from his mother:

Last year, 52-year-old Griffin - whose sister is Tatum O'Neal - admitted he had to "walk away" from his famous family.

He said: "My whole family has been absolutely destroyed to smithereens from drug addiction and alcoholism. The common denominator is drugs and alcohol and depression and it's a never-ending cycle. I had to walk away from all of it. I'm done."

“My mother was an alcoholic and she took weight-loss pills, speed and other drugs,” says Griffin. “The combination of the two, along with her not being emotional stable because she was orphaned at age 6 and lived a rough life – was heart-wrenching.”

Griffin’s long battle with addiction began when he was just 9. (while he was still living with his mother). “I was the family joint roller,” he says. “My life has been a reign of drug and alcohol degradation. There were drugs everywhere in my family all day, every day. It was the ’60s and ’70s.

by Anonymousreply 191August 28, 2019 10:32 PM

More from Tatum's lies and contradictions:

By Tatum's own account in her 2nd book ( and even the first one), Ryan continually reached out to her and her children, and wanted to meet his grandchildren and was met with rejection every time. Ryan also said the same thing in his book.

But in 2004 while promoting her first book on Oprah, Bitter Tatum was lying and said this:

Tatum O'neal has blasted her father Ryan O'Neal on national TV again - by insisting he's a hopeless grandfather.

The actress appeared on America's OPRAH show yesterday to promote her explosive memoirs A PAPER MOON, but the interview quickly turned into another rant about her dad.

After attacking him for his violent rages, O'Neal said, "I'm sorry that he didn't see my oldest son graduate from high school. My eldest son, I just drove him to college and he doesn't even know he graduated.

"On 23 September (04), my son just turned 17. He didn't call him. These are the kind of things that Ryan is not a part of."

by Anonymousreply 192August 28, 2019 11:19 PM

More of Tatum's lying and contradictions:

In the interview below, with Barbara Walters, she claimed her father advised her to take Cocaine at 15 to lose weight.

But in her book, Tatum claimed it was Peter Sellers daughter who advised/taught her that :

"WHAT FOLLOWED FOR ME was a period of drifting and—finally abandoning my vow to stay clean—losing myself in drugs. It started when I got a bit chubby, by Hollywood and Farrah-comparison standards. now I learned that cocaine was good for weight loss. The person who tipped me off was a new friend,Victoria Sellers, the daughter of Peter Sellers and Britt Ekland. She also shared another powerful dieting strategy: vomiting. Between doing coke and throwing up, the pounds started melting off me effortlessly. It didn't take me long to get down to about ninety pounds."

Then on Wendy Williams show last year, she denied she ever accused her father of that. (she forgot her lies on Barbara Walters interview)

Tatum is crazy and can't keep her story straight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193August 31, 2019 1:30 AM

Is the Vegas Maid the one obsessed with the O'Neals? This seems to be in her lane of crazy obsessions.

How soon before she posts that Ryan O'Neal is financing her comeback in "Fart 2: Shart! The Movie?"

by Anonymousreply 194August 31, 2019 2:13 AM

More reviews of Tatum's books:

.I've read Tatum's two books....I think she has issues Tatum will never resolve. Yes, Ryan admits he did a poor parenting job, but Joanna is where Tatum and Griffin were introduced to their alcoholic and drug addicted mother. And when she got custody of her children, after Ryan had tried to get custody, she finally returns them to Ryan. Yes, it wasn't an ideal arrangement and they ended up on the sets when working most of the time. But Tatum was 16 when Ryan went to live with Farrah. They weren't homeless! They lived in Ryan's Malibu home. Joanna did a destructive job of being a mother....she was a lousy role model, that's where they first learned about drugs and alcohol .....not from Ryan. And once it started....it kept on spiraling ....Tatum has a huge problem with her resentment, jealousy, and anger. She should let it go....it is what it is.....get over it.

by Anonymousreply 195September 3, 2019 4:54 AM

Review of Tatum and Ryan's books:

I read Tatum's book a few years ago. Coupled with the media coverage of Ryan's personal life, I formed a general impression of him as a drunken, belligerent, but somewhat likeable narcissist. I did not read Ryan's book because I found him interesting. I was far more interested in Farrah and wondered why she remained so devoted to a man who seemed to be one dimensional.

Just a few pages into Ryan's book, my previous biases began to break down. There are so many surprises here. The first was that Ryan kept a diary. This is not something I would expect to be common to most violent, neanderthals. Second is that he clearly loved Farrah beyond measure and had not simply collected her as a pretty accessory to his charmed life.

In contrast to Tatum's book, Ryan never claims victimhood, or makes excuses. His ex wife's addiction is discussed, but otherwise he has nothing but good things to say about his past partners. He is honest about his failings as a father, but it speaks volumes that he is there for them through legal and personal troubles that might cause the most parents to consider tough love, or walking away entirely.

He also admits to insecurities and jealousies that were probably difficult to put out there.

by Anonymousreply 196September 3, 2019 5:05 AM

More reviews:

I think Tatum was "in love" with her dad, Ryan. She wanted him all to herself and did not like him being with Farrah. She did some pretty mean things to him as punishment such as not inviting him to be in her wedding to John McEnroe - Ryan was not asked to walk her down the aisle. I think that was one of the cruelest things ever to do to a parent.

Her need for constant attention was extreme. I think she is bipolar because of her erratic behavior throughout her whole life - especially her drug addiction.

However, I do think it would have made a difference if Ryan and Farrah had married and lived in one house and not had separate residences.

by Anonymousreply 197September 3, 2019 5:12 AM

"The part where Ryan talks of he and Farrah hosting Tatum's 16th birthday at Farrah's home with Michael jackson and Andy gibb as guests and gives Tatum a car. Tatum never mentioned it in her book and says how Farrah never reached out yet in the book she did over and over.

I like Tatum but I think she has some issues and so does Griffin that have nothing to do with the way their father raised them.. Sorry but I think and he agrees he needed to be stricter, But stop blaming your father for all your issues.

For such a supposedly awful father, he set up trust funds for each of his grandchildren, so he cannot be all that bad to still do that after all the mean things they did to him. but I really think mental health issues were the problem with Tatum, and Griffin and not treated. "

by Anonymousreply 198September 3, 2019 5:18 AM

An honest online comment about the whiny eternal victim Tatum:

"Here is my take. And I watched the OWN show with his daughter. Ryan was a beyond shitty, selfish father, abusive at times. A lot of people are shitty parents. But Tatum and her older brother have played the victim card all the way to now. Tatum is almost fifty and Griffin is in his forties. Tatum has been a piss poor mother, heroin addict, in and out of rehab for years, lost custody. Yet, she even seems to blame everything on Ryan and/or the poor me victim syndrome and that her kids love her and understand. Please. Griffin is a huge loser and scum.

Watching Tatum in the Father/Daughter show on OWN, she came across so whiny and continually bringing up the past. He apologized as much as he is capable and they made some headway in counseling where he tried to make amends. But she wants him to pay for it forever and she wants to talk about it to him forever.

And her jealousy even now of Farrah is bizarre. She couldn’t even let him enjoy a tribute they attended for Farrah, which was emotionally draining for him, without harassing him about the past. He is an old man. At some point grow up and accept your dad as is and enjoy your time with him before he dies. She is incapable.

I came away liking him more and completely over martyr Tatum. Someone even said that in an interview when she was whining. He’s an old man, why don’t you move on from the past, accept you will never get full closure, and focus on where you are now if you want a relationship. What a novel idea. Or keep him out of your life and move on and focus on being a better parent yourself."

by Anonymousreply 199September 5, 2019 2:55 PM

More from the comment:

"My point was she sought him out again and they did a show. No matter how often he said he was sorry or acknowledged things it was never enough.

I started watching the show rooting for her, but realized by the end she is a miserable person who lives in pity for herself and wants to blame him for everything. She has been a bad mother and makes excuses for that, rarely taking responsibility.

She is the one that is trying to have a relationship with him. If she couldn’t forgive him or start anew or whatever, just move on and stop the whining. If you can’t forgive on some level, why are you spending time with him. If she wants the relationship, you can’t spend every second bringing it up to him.

I watched the show and by the end of the show I was so tired of her and felt he had actually made some headway in facing what he had done and trying to apologize. But you can never get all the validation you want. It’s just not possible. That’s my point. I didn’t begrudge her the book or the second book or her anger or keeping him out of her life. But she is just an unhappy middle-aged woman, who has failed her children miserably (lost custody, and child visting walks in on heroin and needle), who has become the poster child for negativity, victimhood and whining, much like Carnie Wilson, where every interview is about her eating issues, not about what they are accomplishing in life."

by Anonymousreply 200September 5, 2019 2:55 PM

Another truthful comment:

Tatum will never forgive him, so stay away. Being together and going over something of nauseum will never work. Many people from all walks of life have really bad childhoods or horrific childhoods. Few turn themselves into perpetual victims.

I realized Tatum liked playing the martyr instead of finding peace. Tatum is not a mean person, but she barely raised her own children and let drugs be more important and lost custody. Focus on your children and your sobriety and stay away from dad. She will never have the closure she wants. He is an old man and will never change. She has no relationship. She just seems very unhappy to me for many reasons, not just her upbringing. I read she was in rehab again recently."

by Anonymousreply 201September 5, 2019 3:03 PM

To the one who keeps posting online opinions, have you no opinions of your own? It's absurd to post these long rants. Provide a link to them, don't copy/paste.

by Anonymousreply 202September 5, 2019 4:54 PM

202 I've already posted my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 203September 5, 2019 4:57 PM

Then leave it to others to post and discuss theirs, nitwit R203. Lose this posting opinions you found online. Are you new here?

by Anonymousreply 204September 5, 2019 5:00 PM

R204 No, But I will do whatever I want.

by Anonymousreply 205September 5, 2019 5:01 PM

That must be why you don't have a job, R205.

by Anonymousreply 206September 5, 2019 5:02 PM

Tatum said in 2002 that her father apologized to her and reached out to her for years but she's not satisfied:

Her father has since apologised for his behaviour. "He said he’s sorry," O’Neal told Premiere magazine. "He’s been reaching out to me for years. Not the way that I wanted him to, or I needed him to - I’m a f**king bitch. I wanted him to get down on his knees and grovel."

by Anonymousreply 207September 5, 2019 5:11 PM

John McEnroe was somewhat fair to Ryan O'Neal in his book instead of blaming him for everything like Tatum does:

From You can't be serious book by John McEnroe:

"She didn't have the strongest of foundations on which to build a sense of motherhood. Her own mother had had such problems with alcohol and pills that she'd barely been present when Tatum was little; for a time, Ryan had carried most of the burden, to the best of his limited ability, while pursuing a full-time acting career."

by Anonymousreply 208September 6, 2019 11:08 AM

In fairness to Ryan - temperament aside, imagine being a gorgeous actor in your 20s, your career about to take off like crazy, and you've got to deal with a seriously impaired ex-wife and two neglected little children. Plus, it's the 60s, not exactly an enlightened era. Surely that's part of what McEnroe meant by Ryan's limited ability. He should have hired a really good governess and paid her lots of money, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 209September 6, 2019 12:21 PM

"Her own mother had had such problems with alcohol and pills that she'd barely been present when Tatum was little"

Ryan, not present either. He was still the father of these children when they were little. He could have been there for them instead of chasing every female that moved and running off with his pregnant girlfriend (Leigh Taylor Young) when the kids were three years old. He's been paying for that behavior ever since and I have no problem with that.

by Anonymousreply 210September 6, 2019 2:28 PM

R209 I agree with you.

by Anonymousreply 211September 6, 2019 3:15 PM

R210 Okay, Tatum

At least his son Patrick (with Leigh Taylor Young) is loyal and is there for his father now.

by Anonymousreply 212September 6, 2019 3:19 PM

^ Thank you Patrick

by Anonymousreply 213September 6, 2019 3:23 PM

Ryan O'Neal said in his book that one of his biggest regret was marrying Joanna Moore.

From Ryan's book:

"I find out that right before I arrive at the courthouse, my ex-wife Joanna, who had just been there to wish her son luck, rolled her car over four times on the freeway. While the judge was handing down Griffin’s sentence, his mother was being cut out of the wreckage. She had two fingers severed and had to undergo emergency surgery. She was fortunate to be alive.

But that woman had been cheating death since I’d known her. When we were first married, I came home one night to find her passed out in a bathtub with an open bottle of barbiturates and a tumbler of wine on the side of the tub. It took me more than an hour to wake her.

Joanna was the worst decision I ever made, but I bear her no ill will. I was a kid when we got hitched and back then no one understood much about addiction. Her accident shakes me. It could just as easily have been Griffin. I remember thinking at the time that Tatum may have been a challenge, but thank God she wasn’t throwing away her life like her mother and her brother were."

by Anonymousreply 214September 6, 2019 3:29 PM

R212 Only because he wasn't raised by Ryan though, as if he had fuck all to do with Patrick's upbringing.

I don't get how Ryan defenders explain how Redmond turned out. My god, okay if you have ONE out of FOUR kids that's a fuck up... maybe it wasn't your fault. But THREE OUT OF FOUR?!??! The common denominator is you!!

by Anonymousreply 215September 7, 2019 4:44 AM

R215 These 3 fucked up "kids" had bad mothers too, Joanna Moore was a crazy addict/neglectful mother (by all account Far WORSE than Ryan), Farrah was a self absorbed mother/actress. The point is you can't put all the blame on Ryan for his kids failure. They had their unstable/neglectful mothers too.

by Anonymousreply 216September 7, 2019 12:16 PM

Some online comments:

"I like Tatum. However, I agree with those who say she's not telling the full story. I respect her for admitting her own faults that she's not a perfect mother, etc. But I do think she may be hotheaded and temperamental like Ryan. I have a feeling they may be similar temperament-wise."

"Tatum's mother Joanna Moore was on her third husband (O'Neal) before she was 30. Even Andy Griffin couldn't stand her and had her written out after four episodes of playing Peg, his love interest. The woman was a cluster fuck and you are assigning all the blame to Ryan?"

by Anonymousreply 217September 7, 2019 12:45 PM

"Tatum O'Neal had an insane Hollywood childhood. That's unfortunate, but she is in no way an admirable person. And at the height of her child star fame she behaved like any other spoiled brat, expecting people to defer to her and obey her every command. I remember some tabloid story on her long ago that claimed she was "the biggest Hollywood brat since the Dead End kids."

" I think that many Hollywood actors are narcissists and very bad parents as well, the difference is that Ryan's kids didn't have good mothers to live with (except for Patrick, that's why he turned out okay), Tatum and griffin's mother was totally crazy/unfit and Farrah was nuts and an addict. I really think if other Hollywood actors were given the responsibility to solely raise their children, the outcome probably would be similar to Ryan's kids. Tony Curtis comes to mind, he was self absorbed and wasn't meant to be a father, and gave some of his kids drugs but the difference is that his kids were raised by their mothers who were Not crazy."

by Anonymousreply 218September 7, 2019 12:51 PM

"Tatum said in the book that when her father was going to be staying in Ireland to shoot the Kubrick film she was going to have to go back to boarding school and didn't understand why her grandparents wouldn't keep her. I'll tell you why - she was a borderline sociopath - attempted to kill a cat, stole things, made up lies, set fires. Not sure how much of that is in her DNA or was triggered by the neglect and abuse in her very early childhood development with her mother."

"I remember Ryan and Tatum reality show, if anything Tatum seemed like a bit of a troublemaker. She just couldn't let it go and really kept digging."

"Why did/does Tatum hold Farrah responsible for ruining her relationship with her father?!! by Tatum's account in her book, the relationship was ruined long before that. She acts like she got dumped by some long-time boyfriend when Ryan took up with Farrah."

"Tatum seems like she was a handful herself. A big Hollywood star at far too young an age and a very insecure big obnoxious brat. She seems like she keeps have drug related relapses and is still very insecure. But as long as she continues to blame Fawcett and having affairs with people like Rosie she'll be doomed."

by Anonymousreply 219September 7, 2019 1:10 PM

An example of Tatum leaving out unfavorable stories about herself, though this story was mentioned in both Ryan and John McEnroe books, This story also indicates Ryan's presence in her life after Farrah and Tatum freely coming over and staying over Farrah's place as she wanted. Not the wrong story, Tatum likes to spread around that her father was absent from her life after Farrah, Ryan included his kids but Tatum was hateful and jealous no matter how Ryan tried.

From Ryan's book:

"As I was going through my journals for this book, I found an entry from that New Year’s morning that gave me pause. Tatum and John had come to LA to attend a party. They brought Patrick to the party with them. They all stayed at the beach house with Farrah and me.

JOURNAL ENTRY, JANUARY 1, 1985

"John and Tate have left for the airport to fly to Las Vegas so he can play tomorrow against Conners. Tatum’s first match. After they left, Patrick told me something unusual. When they got home last night at four a.m., Tatum wanted to continue to party, which included tequila shots and pool until sunrise.Patrick finally put her to bed after she started to see the pool balls two at a time."

I was so relieved to see Tatum and Farrah getting along for a change that I didn't worry that my daughter, who’d never been a drinker, who would confiscate my glass when she was a little girl, had gotten wasted the night before.

Farrah had admitted to me two months earlier, when she was seven months pregnant, that Tatum and John had offered her cocaine. I was surprised because at the time Tatum was still proclaiming her objections to drugs and alcohol. I assumed John was the instigator and Tatum just went along."

From John McEnroe's book:

Tatum and I spent Christmas in New York, then flew back to L.A. for New Year's Eve. That night, we and a few friends went out drinking, then later, the two of us were back at Ryan's house, playing pool with Tatum's half-brother Patrick. By now it was three or four in the morning, and I had to fly to Vegas the next day to get ready for an event. Finally, I said, "Look, I've got to go to bed."

Tatum stayed up, drinking and playing pool with Patrick. I don't know when she came to bed, but it probably wasn't until six or seven. At around eleven A.M., I nudged her and said, "Listen, I'm going to Vegas. Do you want to come?" I had had enough of L.A. and partying, for the time being: I was a tennis player, I wanted to go play tennis"

by Anonymousreply 220September 7, 2019 4:03 PM

Online comment on Ryan and Tatum reality show:

"It appears Tatum refused to accept that her Father also had his own life and was jealous of Farrah being with her dad. Tatum just grew up far too quickly without any discipline. Tatum Not understanding of the love you have for your girlfriend/wife is a different love that you feel for your children."

"Both are the same difficult, this is just made to make money! She is old enough to heal her self and then have a healthier relation ship whit him. When you heal the rest of the world reaction doesn't affect any more. She wants to control him "

"They're both exactly the same - Narcissistic, can't let go of the past, unable to take responsibility for themselves & constantly blaming each other. He wasn't a good dad but clearly loved her, she wasn't a good daughter but clearly loved him. Tatum needs to leave the past behind, agree to never go there or talk about it, and move into the present and just enjoy each other's company whilest keeping a slightly formal boundary. Then the love that's a seed may grow. But this will never happen unless she let go of the past. Hope she manages it before one of them dies."

by Anonymousreply 221September 8, 2019 12:44 AM

"Ryan IS trying to make amends, but she wants blood. Tatum wants to change the past and it's not possible. Her Father wants healing and she wants his blood. She herself has made alot of mistakes and that's on her. There comes a time that you have to admit your own mistakes. She doesn't seem to take responsibility for her own mistakes. Her insane jealousy of Farah is her issue. Grow up Tatum. He's apologized. The fact that Ryan loved Farah will never change."

"Both of these people are SO self-centred. Goodness, And this pampered father and daughter, one 70 and the other 47, are arguing about things that "happened" in the past. It is comical and so sad at the same time. Grow up, Tatum. And start taking responsibility for your own life. And it is all so fake. Didn't Tatum write a memoir before this show? Therefore, why is she saying she is afraid that her father will be angry if he finds out what she has told the therapist. Gosh, she had already told everyone everything in her book. Ryan O'Neil was probably a very immature father, But had she not been his daughter, she probably would not have had her big break in films. And this show would not have been made! (I think child actors have a very hard time, indeed and many end up in a sad place when the spotlight is no longer on them.)"

"She needs to stop blaming Farrah. I doubt Farrah knew what to do with Tatum or Griffin."

by Anonymousreply 222September 8, 2019 12:44 AM

"you can take it as he is with bad temper because he is your father and you can't change that or you can leave it and stay far away of him if you consider it a negative influence to your life....but to try to change his behaviour in front of public eyes to humiliate him and show to everyone how loser of a father he is after he tried to make amends with you, show how stupid your mind functions, Tatum and explain your failures in life.."

"I don't get it.......Why would Tatum invite someone ( 20yr blonde ) to her Birthday with the intention of sitting her next to Ryan so "to make him happy" etc. Tatum blames Ryan for all her drug problems, then persuades this young girl whom has just admitted to overcoming her own drug problems and demons to sit with the same man whom she accuses of domestic violence, drug abuse, etc............Such strange behavior by Tatum in this episode."

"Ryan is an alpha male. He is what he is. Tatum has too much time on her hands. She needs to work and do something for at least 8 hours a day instead of thinking about her dad. Sort of sick actually. I think Tatum is a spoiled brat!"

"He should be forgiven for asking his brat grandson to get out of the car? so what!! families fight all the time. and why did he ask the snotnose to get out of the car in the first place. why are they leaving that out. annoying. she is so patronizing towards him"

by Anonymousreply 223September 8, 2019 12:45 AM

"Episode 1 or 2, she was grilling him and he said" I'm sorry I went to Farrah's..." But for some reason she won't let the past go and fix the damages and move on. Ryan made a statement .... Farrah's gone and she ain't coming back so what's Tatum's problem!!! I truly believe She didn't just love him she was in love with him...Farrah's gone Tatum so you got him back again. Stop whining about the past and move on with him if you love him so much. One day he won't be here and you'll have serious regrets. I'm not saying that Ryan's perfect at all but he is trying and your not. You wanna make him pay for dumping you for a woman."

"Tatum just pushes and pushes. Stop blaming Farrah. When Tatum says Farrah was better than me. He said no she wasn't. Tatum goes around in circles. I would get tired of that manipulation. She bombards him over and over. He tried and tried for her. But she resists everything he attempts toward reconciliation. And then blames him."

"Tatum has to quit living in the past!! She needs to seek therapy for her issues and quit trying to control how her dad copes with his!!!"

" Ryan is really trying here, and Tatum won't give him any slack. He's still mourning Farrah, he agreed to do the show, agreed to go into therapy, agreed to go to Palm Springs, agreed to go to Tatum's birthday party. I've seen anyone go the extra mile like Ryan here."

"Tatum is so difficult herself!! She keeps pushing him. I doubt I'd have a cool temper with someone so annoying and pushy."

by Anonymousreply 224September 8, 2019 12:46 AM

"I'm all for them mending there relationship but, Tatum omg you wanted Ryan to see a therapist and he's doing that. I can't understand why she tries to get him in a bad place by poking over and over again. the relationship won't heal if she's constantly reminding him what a bad father he was. Did anyone see her face when he told her " the reason we lost our closeness was because of Farrah. She shot him a look like .... You mf don't say that woman's name around me ever!!!! 🤔 she's extremely jealous of a dead woman."

" I remember years ago reading how Tatum hated any girlfriends he had and tried to scare them off"

"I like Ryan more, She pushes him. Don't like her. Such a bad mum. And drug addicted. What a bad role model. And for that she blames her dad? Just unbelievable!"

"Jesus Tatum.....relax a little.....stop getting in his face, just go with the flow already......Ryan is coping well unless you continue to pester him........eventually a dog will growl if poked at so much!"

"It looks to me like he's trying and she's antagonizing him. She's a spoiled brat."

by Anonymousreply 225September 8, 2019 12:46 AM

"Tatum had a very unhealthy jealousy towards Farrah, then she punished him by abandoning him, now she want's blame him for her drug addiction which she enjoyed until it almost killed her."

"Tatum pisses me off! She wants his support but can’t give him support over her own jealousy issues...yes I get it I get it, he abandoned his kids “for Farrah” it’s done, she’s gone, he’s still mourning...she needs a meeting and a session because she is actually being quite selfish and in that selfishness, she can ever heal"

"These 2 episodes is when the tide kind of shifted for me & seeing Ryan isn't as messed up as much as I thought he was & I saw Tatum in a new way also"

"A LOT of people go through shit in their childhoods and they make it out fine. IMHO, Ms. O'Neal has a problem taking responsibility. I was around a lot of drugs too, as a child, with an addicted parent. GUESS WHAT? I NEVER took them. Stayed as far away from them as possible. Perhaps Ms. O'Neal needs to let go of the past. She cannot be two places at once. The future is a whole lot brighter and she should move on."

"Tatum clearly has issues. She seems to be possessive and jealous. Her father may have neglected her but she was 16. He had other needs. Why lash out at him by cutting relations for 25 years! Move on already. It's not like you were any better from your alcoholic and substance abuse losing your own kids later on."

"Tatum says she wishes her father would acknowledge how he neglected her and her brother for Farrah. Never does she acknowledge she threw away her kids for drugs! Excuse me -- get help Tatum and quit living in the past. She says she 'tried to talk to him' when in fact she was VERY accusatory. Really??? Very narcissistic individual"

"Why would you end the Washington trip for Farrah tribute like that Tatum?? Why didn't you just let him have his day. Boo Hoo when you get home, Bring up your so called horrendous life when you get home .He's 70years old. He doesn't want the past brought up .Your not going to force him to admit anything.You are wasting time.Tatum,are your children doing this to you YET??"

by Anonymousreply 226September 8, 2019 12:46 AM

"Tatum SO FLIPPIN clearly sees Farrah as 'competition' (even after her death) as if she was Ryan's girlfriend. It's pathetically sad that Tatum feels she was in a competition with Farrah. She is unable to separate Ryan's relationship between her the daughter and Farrah the lover. it is total illness. Tatum completely acts like she should be all to her dad. daughter, lover, all encompassing person and his reason for living. I'm done with these totally screwed up people. Her far more so than him. "

"You could see Tatum simmering/seething when Ryan brought up going to see the home movies of Farrah. She needs to get over it. I mean, seriously, WTF? She was SO jealous of Farrah. She's a grown-ass woman and needs to MOVE ON and handle it. Feel, deal and HEAL, for God's sake."

"She is selfish, passive aggressive, and blames all of her bad behavior on her dad. She's so irritating, the suffering martyr, and wants to PUNISH her dad."

"Ryan O'Neal is light weight to my dad and a lot of Dads, Tatum. He cooperated. He did this show. He went to therapy. I use to like her best. I find him a more engaging person. I stopped seeing his movies after he beat Griffin...been there...now I know there is always another side."

"Tatum, when your kids come to you with their issues (we all have them,) will you still blame it on your Father. You don't seem to talk about your Mom issues oddly."

"The only person responsible for Tatum’s heroin addiction is Tatum. Period. As a former addict, I know what I’m saying."

"Not taking Ryan's side but Tatum lied she started that fight at the restaurant after the Farrah tribute. Those two are has beens the did this show only for the money & to see if they could get a come back not to get back their relationship."

by Anonymousreply 227September 8, 2019 12:47 AM

"It is clear Tatum is bi polar. one minute she's positive next she's blowing up on Ryan in a total maniac way. she is so off the charts mentally unstable on many levels. several diagnoses i would say but first foremost a textbook classic narcissist. she is trying to blame her horrible life on Ryan. She was separated from him for years yet continued to choose drugs, alcohol even when she says her life was perfect with her three kids. she wants a fall guy, ie DAD. she has never been able to sustain sobriety for any length of time. She's likely off the wagon right now. Some people just can't be fixed."

"Watched enough of these episodes recently to see Tatum is/was clearly a very jealous individual. Terribly envious of FF. Just SO self-absorbed. You're an old lady now, Tatum (you're my age). Get over it already! My dad "abandoned" me and my 5 sibs (and mother) at an even earlier age-- we never saw the dead-beat dad except for tennis games, but we accepted things-- grew into teenagers, then adults-- and made the best of it. We let our parents LIVE THEIR lives (they are entitled to lives/happiness). Get off the pity pot and leave your poor dad alone. He's mourning Farrah-- and likely always will. And that's ok, it's HIS prerogative. He's trying to please you, clearly. You and your brother really take the cake-- spoiled brats!!! You ruined their chances of a decent life together. You did!! Just self-centered AA bullshit now. You've GOT to be so humiliated/ashamed in watching these now... always BLAMING your dad for all YOUR poor choices/shitty life. Hope you got over yourself by now! Sickening to watch you. Boo-hoo."

by Anonymousreply 228September 8, 2019 12:48 AM

"Gee this seems like a selfish and immature woman. She seems more like the mind of a 20 something than almost 50. Maybe addiction stunted her. She's jealous of a dead woman ..can't he even have that outside of her ?? She has an unhealthy wife-like fixation for her father and always did in my opinion .."

"I like Tatum and Ryan but I think Tatum being jealous over Farrah 3 - 4 years after her passing is ridiculous. Also Tatum's son holding Ryan solely responsible for Tatum being an addict is BS. Tatum injected those drugs all by herself. It's an easy way out for Tatum not to take any blame at all for being an addict."

"I think Tatum is jealous and an attention seeker, No one asks about her and everyone sat at the table wasn't asking about her and rightfully so, it was Farrahs day. she is intolerant of anyone who don't kiss her butt"

"Tatum is constantly wiping away tears. I have yet to see a real tear. Families can be complicated, but it can’t always be sweet and neat. Learn from it and move on. Reliving it will not help anyone."

"He was in a fine mood at dinner looking forward to seeing his grandson till Tatum started a huge fight. She asked to see her mom's house. she is lying."

"They are both Narcs. She is covert and he is NOT - but both from the same cloth."

by Anonymousreply 229September 8, 2019 12:48 AM

"Tatum has already told Ryan so many horrible things and an awful book and she still can't let it go. He comes off as really trying. It definitely sounds like she turned her own children against him. Destroying your father before the world is unforgivable."

"The man had her when he was 22. What 22 year old has one clue what they are doing? She could consider that. Twenty years old! So when she was in paper moon he was still in his TWENTIES.... He probably wasn't what any kid needed. He was a polished movie star with kids when he just got finished being a teenager. My childhood was CRAP but I had no time to indulge in soul searching, drugs, alcohol, whining or any other luxury. I had responsibility. My crappy childhood would have been so much better if everyone around me were a millionaire. I mean.... money doesn't buy everything but living in Malibu on the beach would have been better than the hell hole I was stuck in. There sure has to be an end to torturing an elderly parent at some point. We get it. He sucks. For gods sake MOVE ON. My dad was the biggest loser that ever lived....I didn't let that define me."

"After watching this, Ryan doesn't seem like such a bad guy. I mean yes he made mistakes but she needs to forgive and move on. That's the only way they can move on as father and daughter."

"She has her own guilt about what she did to herself and her kids. She can't keep blaming to take focus off that she is an addict that is dangerous"

by Anonymousreply 230September 8, 2019 12:48 AM

"This DUMB Tatum who barely has a vocabulary, can't pronounce 'visceral' etc etc is a total text book narcissist. Farrah is dead and is not responsible for how u grew up so stop trying to blame ur f-d up life on her for taking ur dad. Stop the fucking memememememememe. U R A PAIN THE ARSEHOLE. I truly believe u LOVE being a martyr. feeds ur narcissism. i do believe u should work ur issues in therapy and keep doing tell all nasty BS books. get a job if u need money. a job that doesn't include selling out ur family and profiting from old history. MOVE ON. U R SO STUCK IN THE PAST AND NOTHING WILL EVER CHANGE U UNLESS U DEAL W UR NARCISSISM."

"Everyone blames him but doesn’t blame the mother who abandoned the kids first. The man wanted a woman in his life. "

"What a jealous brat... she made her own choices... people are around drugs and don't use. Grow up!!! ... keep on kicking him!!! It's sickening to watch her..."

by Anonymousreply 231September 8, 2019 12:49 AM

"Wow Tatum I just lost any respect I had for you. You clearly lied to your therapist when you said ... At lunch my dad got mad at me because he was in a bad mood LIAR!! Ryan got mad because you started attacking him at lunch. That man came to lunch and gave you a present then you went in to the attack mode!! I would have walked out to get away from you too.

Then you tell your therapist that he's driving around LA showing you where you were born. Sorry hunny but you clearly wanted to see your parents old house when they were married. We all heard you say it. Now you're lying on Ryan making yourself the victim so we all can feel sorry for you 😒 you even cried talking about Farrah and how she was this famous poster girl from the 70'S. Your jealousy has turned into envy and hate.

Now your trying to rebuild a relationship with your father but your stuck in the past that you can't move forward. Your father did love you but WTH he was a grown man with needs.why was it so wrong he wanted a real love story? This relationship is weird as hell!! You need him to be a good father. And from the pictures I've seen you were his companion well onto your late teens. then he met Farrah and you felt replaced and it was like ...it's me or her choose!!

You are 50 years old now and you still don't understand that as an adult male he needed passion, love, romance from a woman not his daughter!!! This was supposed to be a show about reconnecting with your father but, anyone who's watching can see your strange obsession with your father"

by Anonymousreply 232September 8, 2019 12:50 AM

"I do not have sympathy for Tatum. She reminds me of a self involved spoiled child who is angry because her daddy loved his famous wife who died of cancer. Her issues go way back long before Ryan met Farrah and all she wants to do is wallow in her misery."

"Tatum needs a new significant other in her life. She’s expecting too much from her father. He is sorry already. I she will keep leading him to her slaughter table as long as she can. She wants to punish him over and over for her hurt feelings. This is beyond cruel of her to do this publicly."

"When he dies, she will have her hand out- first in line.He is right; she is a blamer. Drama queen."

"You have to watch the interview with her and Barbara Walters , she did look high but she tells stories about her husband and she said she got on heroin because of her divorce. Now she blaming Ryan. She just keep blaming everybody and can't get her story straight"

"He has admitted it but she keeps bringing it all up again when he does not act or speak the way she wants him to-what does she want? Nothing will be enough for her because he can't change the past and she is stuck in the past"

by Anonymousreply 233September 8, 2019 12:50 AM

"This show doesn't ring totally true to me. Tatum goes from hating him to forgiving him with no apparent reason. I wonder how much of it was scripted. I do think it's interesting though. I started out thinking Ryan was a total asshole and Tatum was a victim and nice. after watching most of it, I think Ryan isn't that bad far as how he seems to be trying with his daughter. Tatum seems somewhat manipulative. Both seem sort of narcissistic. they are quite a bit alike in some ways but that makes sense since it's father and daughter. "

" I don't understand why everybody believes everything that comes out of Tatum's mouth. She's been through so much therapy that she knows exactly what to say & how to say it to make him look bad. . Her life is gone to s*** in every way and she wants to blame it on somebody else...Why not Dad. She just needed to sell her freaking book !!!"

"Ryan is the more heroic of the two. He is a man with huge personal defects giving 110% with the pockets of capacity that he has. I came away admiring his striving for good."

"People change. However she is spoiled little brat. She was jealous of Farrah. Jealous of anyone he loves other than herself. She is spoiled. I want grab her and shack her tell her he won’t be here forever "

"Ryan really tried to hear Tatums words and bring joy back into their lives but Tatum just kept dragging him down that dark hole. I watched the whole series twice and I came away feeling that Ryan really wanted Tatum in his life but Tatum carried negative energy."

"His daughter delights in being cruel to him. She's very manipulative."

"Ryan needs to give in. He has met his match with Tatum and his son."

by Anonymousreply 234September 8, 2019 12:51 AM

and on and on and on.......... the one that posts "online comments" - a troll.

Webmaster, tag and ban this mutherfucker.

by Anonymousreply 235September 8, 2019 2:17 AM

From an online article about the O'Neals:

"Patrick is rarely asked to comment on the family, probably because he has nothing sensational to say about his father or his brothers and sister. In 2012, however, he wrote a piece in praise of his father, describing Ryan as his ‘hero’, and a kind and loving father. He defiantly rejected all the negative talk show appraisals of the man, declaring that none of the people on the panels knew his father at all.

It is a compelling piece made more compelling because it comes from the only family member without substance abuse issues. So, do we believe two substance abusers or one sportscaster? Tatum and Griffin say one thing; Patrick the opposite. Redmond (the other substance abuser) does not seem to say much either way.

More than likely the truth about Ryan O’Neal lies somewhere between the two extremes – not exactly the devil incarnate, but scarcely ‘Father of the Year’ material either."

by Anonymousreply 236September 8, 2019 4:28 AM

I'm surprised that Ryan didn't disown Tatum after her self serving one sided book in 2004. He even allowed her back to his life when she came back running to him after Farrah death and tried to reconcile with her, welcomed her and his grandchild (who was obviously using him) to stay at his house, helped Tatum when she was sick twice in 2010. and agreed under pressure from Tatum to produce and do the disastrous reality show in 2011, which didn't do him any good, only more opportunities for Tatum to be in the spotlight and keep trashing her father on national TV with her contradictory stories. I remember people asking her why would she want to reconcile with her father infront of camera instead of doing privately.

All of this and Still, Tatum Blamed her father for the reality show being cancelled and for being broke in 2012. I can't imagine a more entitled spoiled brat than Tatum. I'm surprised that Ryan didn't cut her out much earlier than he did.

The man really tried with this spoiled brat of a daughter and son (Griffin).

by Anonymousreply 237September 11, 2019 2:36 PM

Tatum with her Eternal victim/Blame Syndrome. Blaming her father for her failed career.

janiceann167 I love watching you in movies. Will you be doing more?

tatum__oneal My dad saw I didn’t what a shame

Tatum is implying that Ryan blacklisted her?!! The man was pretty much unemployable/blacklisted himself in Hollywood and couldn't get work since 1979.

She can't understand or grasp that fact that she sucked as an adult actress, that's why she's a flop since forever. Makes one wonder how much of her stories are fictions and delusions.

by Anonymousreply 238September 12, 2019 3:16 PM

Some online comments about Tatum cocaine relapse in 2012:

"She's a fucking adult. Anything after probably thirty, is not his fault."

"She is almost 50. Time to stop blaming daddy. GOd, she is so sick in the head"

"It's time almost 50 year old Tatum take some responsibility for her actions instead if blaming others."

"She can't get over that her father brought a beautiful woman into the home and essentially put her in competition with Farrah for her father's affection and over beauty which made her very insecure. If she still hasn't figured out basic elements of heterosexual male behavior then she is hopeless. Acknowledge it and move on."

"I'm sorry, but the expiration date on Tatum O'Neal blaming her father for her problems has long since passed. She needs to get her fucking shit together, stupid crack head."

"Okay. NOW it's time for Tatum to clean herself up and get a fucking JOB. If she can't establish a casual relationship with Ryan, forget him and get on with her life. Or she'll end up like Whitney."

by Anonymousreply 239September 18, 2019 12:45 PM

"she needs to move in and stop blaming her family for her continued drug problem!!!!"

"She needs to appreciate what she has. Her timing of going back to her father, after Farrah died, is questionable. It makes it look like oh, my competition is gone, now I'll go back. Very complex and sort of sick.... Her children are safe and alive. She should talk to a mother who has lost a child and see if they are dwelling on a bad childhood or bad relationship with a parent, and she might be able to appreciate what she has. I think this woman has many, many problems, addiction being just one. Very sad."

"I loved 'Paper Moon' and I thought Tatum would go on to be a major player and star in Hollywood, she had the opportunities and blew them. Ryan's failings with her are mirrored by Tatum's own failings with her own children... Ryan lives with Leukemia and it's time Tatum moves on with her life."

"she blames her father for her career failure, when he hasn't been a part of her life for years? yup -DE-Nile"

by Anonymousreply 240September 18, 2019 12:50 PM

A spot on review of Tatum's self serving book "A paper life"

Tatum O'Neal, throw your tantrums -- away

"Where is our pity supposed to land here? Yes, Tatum had bad parents.....Now, aware as we all are of what devilry too often occurs behind innumerable closed familial doors, we still only care if it happened to someone who, say, pitched for the Bad News Bears or jinxed John McEnroe's career, and could still not care less about the less adorable, less visible victims who rarely have the option to take off to Malibu when mom's starting to play blindfolded hacky-sack with the wine bottles.

Further, as is true of all similar narrators, Tatum O'Neal seems wonderfully oblivious to what a nasty little child she so notoriously was. While she does recount a number of the incidents that led to her nickname "Tantrum" way back when, she always speedily backstrokes over her behaviour by citing her parents' actions.

Such therapy-head nonsense is what led to the 12-step term "adult child," which has led many to believe that deep inside us, a weeping little baby resides, awaiting its rescue through the fishhook that is blame-counselling.

If Tatum offered her obviously barely loved brother ice cream, then shoved it in his face; if she rampantly insulted every adult in her line of fire; if she hooked up with a crack dealer while her fitness as a mother was being publicly contested, whose fault is that?

Fighting Irish fathers and pill-bombed mothers are excellent reasons for any child to complain about his or her lost security, and bad love.

Yet at a certain point, such awful memories need to be put in perspective as crises that besieged the child; that no longer define the man or woman in question. Not one of the crybabies cited ever confessed that they were nightmares-in-training themselves, or, more critically, that it is not appropriate for an adult to lament one's childhood as if puling over the loss of a beloved plush toy.

Then again, there is nowhere else for someone like Tatum O'Neal to live but the past, in that blurry world where she and her father were actually revered for their acting, where both of their vivid tantrums were respectfully endured, not as object lessons in their inner pain, but as evidence that stars may burn as brightly as they like, before falling.

by Anonymousreply 241September 23, 2019 6:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!