Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Westinghouse All Electric House (Color)

Marvel at the future turn of the century DLers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 9, 2019 9:04 PM

Those dining chairs are really in right now.

by Anonymousreply 1August 22, 2019 10:02 PM

I want the two men to spit roast me in the workshop. Then I will be ready to be electrified to death on the outdoor electric exercise bicycle or suffocate to death during our indoors charcoal barbecue.

by Anonymousreply 2August 22, 2019 10:08 PM

Betty Furness!

by Anonymousreply 3August 22, 2019 10:08 PM

Though it isn't my personal favourite aesthetic, I love how nostalgic these mid century clips and pics are. There is something to be said about the American ingenuity and optimism of this period. I wish a time such as this could be possible once again. That is my hope for green technology and further advancements.

by Anonymousreply 4August 23, 2019 2:49 AM

Meh. It's no GE Carousel of Progress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 23, 2019 3:40 AM

reminds me of the "modern home" in Mon Oncle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 23, 2019 4:52 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 7September 9, 2019 10:05 AM

[quote]There is something to be said about the American ingenuity and optimism of this period. I wish a time such as this could be possible once again.

Yes I wish a time could once again be possible where my gay Latino ass could be dumped in jail just for being.

by Anonymousreply 8September 9, 2019 10:08 AM

R8 I meant that in regard to technology, design, and advances in production which put many of these these labour-saving appliances in the reach of the middle class here. I'm not glorifying racism, or America's law enforcement policies of the 1950s, or today. Postwar America has many things to be proud of from an historical perspective. Advances in chemistry, and new materials provided jobs and prosperity on a scale admired throughput the developed world. It was probably the last era America had a universally good reputation abroad. Take the chip off your shoulder; it shall only wear you down.

by Anonymousreply 9September 9, 2019 10:31 AM

Interesting that every single damn thing in that promo film is now widely available, yet made in China. I would kill for that house!

by Anonymousreply 10September 9, 2019 10:58 AM

You just know when the guests left OPs film, they said “who the fuck do they think they are?”

by Anonymousreply 11September 9, 2019 11:41 AM

Have you ever seen the American Gas Association's answer to the all-electric Gold Medallion Home?

It was wild -- gas everything throughout.

Gas furnace, patio gas radiant panel, gas space heaters in the bathrooms

Gas water heater

Gas air conditioning

Gas dryer

Gas range, including the "burner with a brain"

Gas toaster and gas coffee maker -- a gas line ran under cabinets and you "plugged" them in with a flexible hose

No trash compactor, nosiree. -- an under-counter gas incinerator right in the kitchen!

Gas fireplace lighter and gas post lamps outside. Gas coach lanterns around the front door.

Gas everything!

by Anonymousreply 12September 9, 2019 12:11 PM

[quote]Take the chip off your shoulder; it shall only wear you down.

Wow. You’re the one who needs to lighten up, cupcake.

by Anonymousreply 13September 9, 2019 12:29 PM

Quite frankly R13, I'm a bit tired of posters bringing race, racism, and the oppression olympics into every damned thread on DL. Plenty of other political and current events threads to share there. This is a cool retro positive thread, or was meant to be. Don't edit and take my comments out of context, especially without referencing my post, and I won't need to get serious on your afflicted arse.

by Anonymousreply 14September 9, 2019 12:37 PM

The Reagans had one in the 1950's too - built by GE, Westinghouse's rival - in Pacific Palisades when Ronnie shilled for General Electric.

Here's Nancy freshening up between blowjobs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 9, 2019 1:48 PM

r12 I'd love one of those houses!

by Anonymousreply 16September 9, 2019 3:25 PM

My house is mostly gas -- dryer, water heater, furnace/AC, range, fireplace, outdoor grill hookup -- but I can't imagine some of those other things mentioned in R12!

by Anonymousreply 17September 9, 2019 3:26 PM

r15 That house was torn down a few years ago and replaced with a Spanish McMansion They say they kept the shower Reagan was in when he got word he'd been elected. I'm not sure how it's the same shower. Inside there's a plaque describing its historic significance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 9, 2019 3:40 PM

R18 What a shame, as it looks to have been a stellar example of its kind.

by Anonymousreply 19September 9, 2019 9:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!