Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you turn your TV off for brief breaks?

I am curious about this. Does a frequent on/off cycle stress the TV? I want to extend the life of my TV. Not because I’m cheap, primarily. I just don’t want the bother of replacing my TV prematurely, and all that work. I have a Sony 48” set and I’m incredibly happy with it.

How about light bulbs?

by Anonymousreply 19August 23, 2019 7:35 PM

Why would anyone ever want to turn off a TV? Or a light bulb for that matter?

by Anonymousreply 1August 22, 2019 9:24 PM

How do you mean? Unplug it? My TV is off for 20+ hours a day?

by Anonymousreply 2August 22, 2019 9:26 PM

The moisture from the toilet is the biggest threat to your tv, Mr. President.

by Anonymousreply 3August 22, 2019 9:26 PM

As for light bulbs, it's complicated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 22, 2019 9:31 PM

there are 2 things that will kill your tv fast.

Dust: all those vents.

How bright you have your screen setting. The lower the setting the longer it lasts (unless my info is now outdated)

by Anonymousreply 5August 22, 2019 9:38 PM

R4, thanks, but I still have the question. My computer and light bulbs seem to quit when being turned on.

by Anonymousreply 6August 22, 2019 10:08 PM

what kind of bulbs? incandescent, CFL, or LED? LED doesn't last as advertised. incandesenct bulbs lasted 2-3 times their 1000 hour life when they were introduced over a century ago. Then a global consortium of bulb manufacturers agreed on planned obsolescence. Morale of the story - consumer will always BE SCREWED on such products so don't over think this.

by Anonymousreply 7August 22, 2019 10:27 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 8August 23, 2019 4:47 PM

TV sets have had an instant-on feature for long time now. This means some circuits remain powered to avoid warm-up. I made a Toshiba tube television last over 20 years by putting it on a power strip with a built-in surge protector.

I finally gave it away, still working like the day I bought it.

I turned off the power strip when I retired for the evening and didn't turn it on till the following afternoon.

I am a big believer in chasing down energy vampires that run up your annual electricity bill in aggregate.

by Anonymousreply 9August 23, 2019 5:09 PM

R9, can you quantify the savings? I have heard of this. Computers, TVs, and other devices suck energy when off, but I’m not sure it’s a significant sum.

I’m more concerned about keeping my devices longer. I bought my TV in 2010.

by Anonymousreply 10August 23, 2019 5:30 PM

I have two TVs that I almost never use. They’re my “emergency” TVs, and I rarely use them. (Like when I get my main room furniture cleaned, or such.) One is in the bathroom, for when I take a bath, which I never do. One is a tube TV in the spare room. Do they degrade faster if they are rarely turned on?

by Anonymousreply 11August 23, 2019 5:34 PM

My TV is five years old - it's on 10 hrs a day, that's 182,500 hrs. Works great, I don't expect it to die until at least 2014.

by Anonymousreply 12August 23, 2019 5:40 PM

R10 read this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 23, 2019 7:12 PM

I worry about you r12.

by Anonymousreply 14August 23, 2019 7:16 PM

R12’ maybe 2024?

by Anonymousreply 15August 23, 2019 7:19 PM

Mine is on from the tine I wake up until I go to bed.

by Anonymousreply 16August 23, 2019 7:20 PM

I’ve heard one should charge their mobile phone in the car, to save money, but, I am skeptical.

by Anonymousreply 17August 23, 2019 7:22 PM

I use solar chargers to recharge my phone.

by Anonymousreply 18August 23, 2019 7:32 PM

R14, I'm 64 YEARS OLD. We always have the TV on!!!!

by Anonymousreply 19August 23, 2019 7:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!