Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Amazon Is On Fire!

For the last seven days Reuters has repeatedly driven a 30-kilometer (18.6 miles) stretch from Humaita towards Labrea along the Trans-Amazonian highway, watching a fire eat its way through the jungle. At first, on Wednesday of last week the raging fire stood just a few yards (meters) off the roadway, the yellow flames engulfing trees and lighting up the sky. By the weekend the fire had receded into the distance but cast an orange glow several stories high.

The fire is just one of thousands currently decimating the Amazon, the world’s largest rainforest and a bulwark against climate change.

Well folks it's been nice being an inhabitant of Earth with you, looks like we are some of the last to see it in it's hey day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 26, 2019 12:28 PM

I told them to vacuum between the trees. Sad!

by Anonymousreply 1August 22, 2019 3:57 PM

OMG, I hope they'll still be able to deliver the Hotpot I ordered yesterday!

by Anonymousreply 2August 22, 2019 4:05 PM

I’m in New England, and I remember when we could smell the fires in Tennessee. This was in the late 80s, I think. That’s really far away.

by Anonymousreply 3August 22, 2019 8:56 PM

I saw this in a few places the last few days and thought it was too awful to be true. We are so truly fucked.

by Anonymousreply 4August 23, 2019 3:48 AM

A few thoughts.

a. the Amazon is huge. These numbers are bad, but they're chopping away at the edges at this point.

b. at this point about 20% of the Amazon has been lost to clear cutting and burning. Scientists believe if that number gets to 40% it will trigger a die-off of the entire rainforest. That's when the shit hits the fan.

c. up until 3 years ago Brazil had made good progress towards restoring/preserving parts of the rainforest.

d. Bolsonaro is getting a ton of heat over this nationally and internationally. Not like he listens to anybody, but they've impeached presidents for far, far less.

e. most Brazilians realize just how freaking important the Amazon is to the world.

If we're lucky, they'll be able to turf "President Chainsaw" (his words) before he can do irreversible damage if not...yes we're fucked.

by Anonymousreply 5August 23, 2019 4:05 AM

Ah fuck it! Brazil is their own country. We Americans already plowed through our forests, who are we to tell them what to do with theirs? Maybe if we had our grasslands and indigenous forests the concern wouldn't be so hypocritical.

by Anonymousreply 6August 23, 2019 4:09 AM

Oh is that a fact? It’s not like every fucking celebrity on earth has reposted memes about it on Instagram.

I’m sick to death of the social media posturing. The same people who are causing climate change are now lecturing us about it to show how woke they are.

The top 10% cause 49% of carbon emissions.

by Anonymousreply 7August 23, 2019 4:14 AM

The Amazon Forest has been referred to as The Lungs Of The World - they've got to save it no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 8August 23, 2019 4:19 AM

[quote]Ah fuck it! Brazil is their own country. We Americans already plowed through our forests, who are we to tell them what to do with theirs?

Because what happens in one part of the world can do damage to us?!?!?

Everyone is so caught up on States! Countries! Continents! But they always seem to forget that we all share one giant ass planet.

That's why I fear there's no way to stop drastic climate change: because people won't even stop thinking of themselves for one minute so I don't expect entire countries to do the same.

by Anonymousreply 9August 23, 2019 5:11 AM

There's no stopping climate disaster R9. Do you live with your family still? That's a natural way to stop the progression of climate change. Gringos wanna explore and think there is a way to happiness with self- exploration. The Western way of living has been a total disaster for humanity.

by Anonymousreply 10August 23, 2019 5:17 AM

These fires are started by people burning down the areas that they've clear cut in order to grow shit to sell to us. Consumerism will end our world.

by Anonymousreply 11August 23, 2019 5:30 AM

[quote]Although fires are a regular and natural occurrence during the dry season at this time of year, environmentalists blamed the sharp rise on farmers setting the forest alight to clear land for pasture.

[quote]Farmers may have had at least tacit encouragement from the firebrand right-wing president, who took power in January. Bolsonaro has repeatedly said he believes Brazil should open the Amazon up to business interests, to allow mining, agricultural and logging companies to exploit its natural resources.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 23, 2019 5:59 AM

Shame Portugal did such a bad job with colonization. If the British had colonized, there'd be a South American Canada there, with a protected Amazon rainforest.

Instead we have a chaotic nightmare basket case.

by Anonymousreply 13August 24, 2019 12:09 AM

83. Explains the narrow, short-term thinking, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 24, 2019 12:10 AM

Selfishness, sociopathy, horror.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 24, 2019 12:11 AM

In some ways modern society is an evil thing.

by Anonymousreply 16August 24, 2019 2:49 AM

5 things the media won't tell you about the Amazon fires

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 24, 2019 4:24 AM

I've got to give kudos to Macron, Merkel and the Finish leadership at the EU for putting the pressure on Brazil to take action. It was only after Macron, especially, chastized Brazil's far-right climate-change-denying leadership of ineptitude and willful disregard for this crisis AND backed up that rhetoric with real threats to shut down a pending EU-South American trade deal, that Brazil finally agreed to take action and call in the army.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 24, 2019 2:43 PM

There are people who want to raise the temps on planet Earth. For instance Russia, where half their country is too chilly to plant anything. And the coveting of Greenland is no joke: it's rich in resources. They just have to get rid of that damned ice!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 24, 2019 3:37 PM

R13 you do realize how shortsighted and idiotic you sound? What natural forests does England have? What natural forests did y'all help rally around and save in America in the colonization time?

by Anonymousreply 20August 25, 2019 5:17 AM

Good ol Jair. As long as your money’s in the right place, you’ll never have to worry. Of course, there will be more oxygen on the moon or Mars by the time your great-grand-kids go to college, but who cares. Why not make the whole world GREAT again?

by Anonymousreply 21August 25, 2019 5:46 AM

I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation. Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?

by Anonymousreply 22August 25, 2019 7:24 AM

Have an international boycott.

by Anonymousreply 23August 25, 2019 7:51 AM

I've been hearing that a portion of the fires were in areas that had already been cleared, which if true is some small good news.

Bolsonaro is getting an insanely strong pushback on this, so I'm hoping his "fuck the Amazon!" policies are now effectively dead.

by Anonymousreply 24August 26, 2019 2:25 AM

from NASA:

In the Amazon region, fires are rare for much of the year because wet weather prevents them from starting and spreading. However, in July and August, activity typically increases due to the arrival of the dry season. Many people use fire to maintain farmland and pastures or to clear land for other purposes. Typically, activity peaks in early September and mostly stops by November.

As of August 16, 2019, satellite observations indicated that total fire activity in the Amazon basin was slightly below average in comparison to the past 15 years

by Anonymousreply 25August 26, 2019 9:40 AM

This article is a really helpful overview of the situation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 26, 2019 11:19 AM

I spent a few weeks traveling in the Amazon some 25 years ago. Extraordinary place.

RIP to the forest, the animals, and the native tribes.

by Anonymousreply 27August 26, 2019 11:32 AM

I hope this won’t interfere with their deliveries.

by Anonymousreply 28August 26, 2019 12:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!