Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The problem with TV shows these days...

Is that they all follow that Breaking Bad formula, where everything is a heavily exaggerated version of real life. Complete with soundtrack. The new Kirsten Dunst one is yet another. It’s good, don’t get me wrong, but the trend annoys me. Let’s try something different...like more realism?

That is all.

by Anonymousreply 13August 30, 2019 1:43 PM

"Hysterical Realism" as it was coined for this sort of fiction in the literary world.

by Anonymousreply 1August 22, 2019 2:43 AM

What are some hysterically realistic novels, r1? Does Fight Club count?

by Anonymousreply 2August 22, 2019 2:46 AM

The Kirsten Dunst one is verging on boring as it is, and you want to make it even less interesting?

by Anonymousreply 3August 22, 2019 2:49 AM

What drives me up the wall is at the end of so many shows the final scene will be overlaid with some whining lesbian coffee house grade music while the camera catches the angst of the players.

by Anonymousreply 4August 22, 2019 3:01 AM

Exactly r4, they all do the “check in on everyone before bedtime” scene at the close of every show now. Even Euphoria.

by Anonymousreply 5August 22, 2019 3:12 AM

With your reference to Breaking Bad, I thought you were going to say the problem was that the antihero trope is now overdone on prestige TV and I was going to wholeheartedly agree with you. I'm tired of shows being dark and nihilistic, asking viewers to watch as the characters do terrible things and embroil themselves in terribly dysfunctional relationships. I haven't watched the cool new show in a while because of it, so I don't know if this has changed yet.

by Anonymousreply 6August 22, 2019 3:13 AM

I stopped "fiction" shows years ago. Ludicrous and hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 7August 22, 2019 3:15 AM

I could use another Mad Men type of show.

I always wanted to watch breaking bad, but you confirmed why I didn't start. I figured that was happening since I've seen everything since.

by Anonymousreply 8August 22, 2019 3:36 AM

R4 I have no idea what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 9August 22, 2019 3:40 AM

R2 Infinite Jest, White Teeth - I believe the critic James Wood coined the term.

by Anonymousreply 10August 30, 2019 4:17 AM

The problem with TV shows these days...

earrings

caftans!

by Anonymousreply 11August 30, 2019 4:19 AM

R2 Fight Club isn't - it's more of a psychological novel and more satire. Hysterical realism wants to be both 'realistic' with its exacting details, but then is hyperbolic and rather 'unreal' in the situations it creates - the two aspects negating the other.

Satire deliberately uses distortions to create a sense of the 'unreal' for the purpose of highlighting the 'real' - the way a caricature distorts to make the 'real' more recognisable (caricatures that accentuate Streissand's big nose or crossed eyes out of proportion to the reality of her features).

by Anonymousreply 12August 30, 2019 4:23 AM

I feel mighty real

by Anonymousreply 13August 30, 2019 1:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!