Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Downton Abbey' Selling More Advance Tickets Than 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Yeah! Best Picture and third Oscar for Dame Maggie Smith.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 578January 19, 2020 6:52 PM

poster

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 22, 2019 12:10 AM

I am seeing September 12. I was marketed to and I fell for it. They are encouraging costumes. Like mine?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 27, 2019 2:04 AM

No Oscar for Dame Maggie for this TV movie dressed as lamb. Would love to see her get a third, but she's won multiple Emmys for this role. Even if she gets a death scene.

by Anonymousreply 3August 27, 2019 2:07 AM

I hope Brenda Vaccaro gets more screen time in this one.

by Anonymousreply 4August 27, 2019 2:17 AM

I'm so tired of them saying how times have changed, and they're a "modern family." Enough with that tired trope. Tell us a good story, and don't keep reminding us how much times have changed.

by Anonymousreply 5August 27, 2019 2:20 AM

Will Thomas be presenting hole this time around?

by Anonymousreply 6August 27, 2019 2:27 AM

Frau ,movie.

by Anonymousreply 7August 27, 2019 2:45 AM

I will still gobble up tickets for the movie that triggered my fall...to my knees.

by Anonymousreply 8August 27, 2019 3:20 AM

I can't wait for this.

I've had a boxset of the series on Blu Ray for a number of years and never watched it. Now I'm binge watching it before the film opens.

I'm only at towards of end the Season 2 but I'm totally hooked. Indeed to spend a couple of days just watching it non-stop. Really its just a soap, but its so damn addictive and the entire cast is great.

by Anonymousreply 9August 28, 2019 2:43 PM

In this era bereft of originality and filled with sequels, spinoffs, reimaginings, and prequels, I wonder why they never went through with an American version covering the Gilded Age.

They even had a set-up with Cora's mother and brother. Even if they couldn't get Shirley Maclaine to reprise the mother role, they could have done used Cora or her brother to introduce the Americans.

Apparently, a lot of rich American girls were married off to poor English nobles. We could have seen a reverse where a rich American girl brings her British second son husband over.

by Anonymousreply 10August 28, 2019 3:47 PM

When they said the Queen was coming to Downton...I gasped!.

by Anonymousreply 11August 29, 2019 1:45 PM

Who is the maid? Hmmm

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 30, 2019 8:18 PM

So did Mrs. Patmore marry Mr. Mason yet? Those two don't have much time to waste at their ages.

How about Molesley and Baxter, they aren't getting any younger either.

by Anonymousreply 13August 30, 2019 8:27 PM

Could the actress playing Lady Mary get any more photoshopped in the film poster?

by Anonymousreply 14August 30, 2019 8:29 PM

A phenomenal world wide success. They are printing money. We saw the Downton Abbey Exhibit, with room recreations and costumes, @$35 a pop, and a related shop merchandising it to the max. Enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 15August 30, 2019 8:47 PM

It will be like Mamma Mia. Complete shit but a huge hit.

by Anonymousreply 16August 30, 2019 8:53 PM

I am naturally not a jealous person but I am a wee envious Chris Colfer got to see the house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 31, 2019 12:28 AM

That clip wasn't very good. Maggie Smith looked odd and her dialogue seemed forced. Also seems like people used to come *to* the dowager, she didn't have to seek them out to deliver her zingers.

by Anonymousreply 18August 31, 2019 2:47 AM

If you like Downton, please watch "A Place to Call Home." It's an Australian show with a phenomenal lead actress about an outsider infiltrating an "established" landed family. Lots of gay characters and scenarios in later seasons.

by Anonymousreply 19August 31, 2019 2:55 AM

I think the woman Lucy - who the Dowager is speaking to - is somehow connected to the Queen. And is with the Queen for the visit.

by Anonymousreply 20August 31, 2019 1:31 PM

The Queen is coming! The Queen is coming!

by Anonymousreply 21August 31, 2019 4:37 PM

[quote]The Queen is coming! The Queen is coming!

Kind George V, grandson of Victoria, was king in 1927. He He had been Duke of York until his older brother died. Mary of Teck was Queen Consort, a title Charles will desperately try to give Camilla, I'm sure.

He was relatively handsome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 31, 2019 5:19 PM

You mean relatively handsome by lizard standards R22.

by Anonymousreply 23August 31, 2019 7:20 PM

It is kind of surprising how may Duke of York's became King.

by Anonymousreply 24August 31, 2019 7:38 PM

I will torrent it when it comes out but I fully expect it to suck. I hate Mary's new husband. He is so boring. They are all boring now.

by Anonymousreply 25August 31, 2019 7:40 PM

I'll give you the whole movie in a few lines of dialogue.

CORA: "Look, Raaaaaaawburrrrt! Here's our dear housekeeper, Mrs. Hughes!'

MRS. HUGHES: "Good day, your ladyship! You know, change has certainly come here to Downton Abbey!"

VIOLET: (interrupting) "What is 'change'? What is a 'weekend'? I blame these horrid Americans!"

EDITH: (sobbing) "I hate you, Mary! You've always made my life a living hell!"

MARY: (peevishly) "Oh Edith, do shut up!"

ROBERT: "Oh no... I've ruined the family fortune yet again! We've lost everything!"

THE END

by Anonymousreply 26August 31, 2019 7:48 PM

Another Downton Abbey film certainly needs a storyline with young Master George, Lady Mary's son and heir to Downton, turning out to be gay (preferably hooking up with Thomas) and therefore not being able to provide an heir himself.

Shocking!

by Anonymousreply 27August 31, 2019 8:13 PM

You will not ruin this for me. I promise.

by Anonymousreply 28August 31, 2019 10:15 PM

"It is kind of surprising how many Dukes of York became King"

Uh oh.

by Anonymousreply 29September 1, 2019 12:08 AM

I always found Hugh Bonneville curiously sexless and unappealing. A hotter man in his 40s should have been cast, a TV version of Colin Firth or Jason Isaacs.

by Anonymousreply 30September 1, 2019 12:16 AM

Oh God, not Imelda Staunton stinking up the place!

by Anonymousreply 31September 1, 2019 12:18 AM

R31 Imelda is wonderful! Wonder if she will have any scenes with her husband Jim Carter who plays Carson in the show.

by Anonymousreply 32September 1, 2019 5:28 AM

Well according to rumours he's into BDSM and getting fucked by prostitutes with a strap-on R30.

by Anonymousreply 33September 1, 2019 8:23 PM

I have never heard that, R33. For some reason, I am oddly attracted to him. I think he's handsome.

by Anonymousreply 34September 1, 2019 9:36 PM

Everyone heard that r34. Hugh Bonneville went to a prostitute so she could stick a dildo up his ass. Idiotically, he went to the same hooker who fucked and gossiped about Wayne Rooney. Dumbeville spent hundreds on thousands on injunctions so the British media could not mention it.

However, the international media can.

by Anonymousreply 35September 2, 2019 4:16 PM

Voila

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 2, 2019 4:21 PM

Oh for god's sake, OP -- PBS is giving them away as part of their current pledge drive. Your gift for pledging $60!!

So what did you expect?

by Anonymousreply 37September 2, 2019 4:47 PM

I always thought the Robert / Hugh Bonneville character was attractive except for him being really, really bad with money.

by Anonymousreply 38September 2, 2019 9:48 PM

[quote] Oh for god's sake, OP -- PBS is giving them away as part of their current pledge drive. Your gift for pledging $60!! So what did you expect?

Comps are included in sales.

by Anonymousreply 39September 3, 2019 11:40 AM

Gosford Park is a perfect movie, and it was the Downton Abbey prototype.

by Anonymousreply 40September 3, 2019 11:43 AM

Gosford Park is a heavy-handed Agatha Christie pastiche done by a clueless American.

He threw too much money at Impoverished Brit actors plating in unworthy small roles. The lead actor suddenly disappeared so American Ryan Philippe was brought in to make a pretty but inadequate replacement.

by Anonymousreply 41September 3, 2019 11:53 AM

who? ^

by Anonymousreply 42September 3, 2019 12:07 PM

Gosford Park is Downton Abbey done right, and the casting of Phillippe is utterly baffling and clearly a mistake...until the point in the movie when it becomes inspired.

by Anonymousreply 43September 3, 2019 12:10 PM

It's so interesting Fellowes could write a decently plotted film with decently developed characters and yet he puked forth nothing but nursery food after the first season of Downton. Gosford was a dark film in that nobody was heroic and some were pretty unpleasant... Downton is Little House on the Prairie without the clown mask rapist.

by Anonymousreply 44September 3, 2019 1:27 PM

I wonder who was the actor that Ryan Philippe replaced.

by Anonymousreply 45September 3, 2019 1:45 PM

Phillippe is OK in the film but its really not much of a role - but aside from the directors cut of 54 he has never been any better than adequate. As enjoyable as Gosford Park is most of the actors barely have anything much to sink their teeth into. Aside from Maggie Smith, Helen Mirren, Emily Watson, Clive Owen & best of all Kelly Macdonald the rest of the cast are largely wasted.

Gosford Park is a very enjoyable film. Sure its second tier Altman but best of all its success led to Downton Abbey.

by Anonymousreply 46September 3, 2019 1:58 PM

So now we get to see Allen Leech on the big screen seemingly without underwear

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 3, 2019 2:14 PM

Jude Law had the Phillippe part, but he dropped out.

by Anonymousreply 48September 4, 2019 4:14 AM

R48 Law would have been so much better.

by Anonymousreply 49September 4, 2019 6:01 AM

Law would have been so much better.

The movie was half an hour longer than it should have been; and it was made more annoying because that last half an hour was hogged by some quasi-Woody-Allen-nonentity called Bob Balaban filling up the screen where there was troupe of infinitely more interesting English actors just off-screen twiddling their thumbs.

As I said earlier (@R41) it was compiled by a clueless American!

by Anonymousreply 50September 4, 2019 6:25 AM

Meh! "Upstairs, Downstairs" ripoff. Remarkably unattractive cast. Maggie Smith makes it.

by Anonymousreply 51September 4, 2019 8:44 AM

R51 Unattractive cast? I beg to differ - Robert James-Collier & Allen Leech (and not to forget Dan Stevens who dropped out). I'd like to see a lot more of them....

by Anonymousreply 52September 4, 2019 8:49 AM

New clip of Barrow being not pleased about Carson coming back

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53September 6, 2019 1:29 PM

Barrow is being mighty uppity in that video, no way would that happen in real life!

Maggie ain't getting no Oscar for this!

by Anonymousreply 54September 6, 2019 1:48 PM

Early Oscar buzz for Joanne Frogghead.

by Anonymousreply 55September 6, 2019 2:02 PM

Why, is she going to prison again? Is their kid going to snuff it?

by Anonymousreply 56September 6, 2019 2:25 PM

[quote]New clip of Barrow being not pleased about Carson coming back

While Barrow was kind of a dick through most of the show, he also wasn't treated very well by many of the staff and family.

While Barrow wouldn't be Barrow if he weren't scheming, it's too bad they seem to be undoing his self-destructive, own worst enemy character arc and growth from the end of the show.

I would have preferred Barrow scheming on behalf of the family, like he did for Mary and Rose at Rose's in-laws, than against them in order to continue his arc.

by Anonymousreply 57September 6, 2019 4:38 PM

"... And there's plenty of scandal in the kitchen as Dr Gregson delivers some very unexpected news - Mrs Patmore is pregnant!.... "

by Anonymousreply 58September 6, 2019 4:42 PM

I kinda like Barrow putting them in their place. Then again, I hate Carson. The old suck up windbag.

by Anonymousreply 59September 6, 2019 10:07 PM

Can't wait for this.

Poor Thomas, I imagine he is the way he is (snarky) partly because of O'Brien's influence before the show even started with the sinking of the Titanic. She was a nasty piece of work - leaving some of the soap that Cora had dropped under the bath for poor Cora to slip on and loose the child. At least she knew she had done wrong.

by Anonymousreply 60September 7, 2019 5:00 AM

Edith will call Mary a filthy cunt, even though Edith hasn't a clue what the word cunt even means.

by Anonymousreply 61September 7, 2019 5:22 AM

Looking forward to this movie.

by Anonymousreply 62September 7, 2019 5:31 AM

Will there be nudity on the big screen? Full frontal?

We already know that Mary's a whore. How about some hot scenes between Carson & Carson-Hughes?

by Anonymousreply 63September 7, 2019 11:59 AM

NBC will air the hour-long special Return to Downton Abbey: A Grand Event Thursday, Sept. 19. The film Downton Abbey, which focuses on the king and queen of England visiting the grand estate, opens in theaters Sept. 20.

Actor and dancer Derek Hough hosts the special, which is filmed at Highclere Castle in England. The cast will speak about what made the PBS series unique, and what the movie will offer.

by Anonymousreply 64September 7, 2019 12:05 PM

PBS has already run two specials, minus Derek's Huffing and Puffing.

Will Derek dress up as Edith or Mary for the After Party?

by Anonymousreply 65September 7, 2019 12:14 PM

Why is Barrow's hair parted on the right in that clip when it was always parted on the left on the show?

by Anonymousreply 66September 7, 2019 12:22 PM

Cuz he’s wearing a wig

by Anonymousreply 67September 7, 2019 12:24 PM

Henry Talbot is boring.

by Anonymousreply 68September 7, 2019 12:27 PM

He's barely in it, mercifully. The actor was committed elsewhere. I found their thirties light comedy romance banter in the final episode nauseating. I was kinda hoping Lady Mary's death vagina had worked its black magic for a third time.

by Anonymousreply 69September 7, 2019 12:41 PM

It's always a new era at Downton Abbey, as I keep telling you with a mix of hostility toward the system and ingratitude for the fact they were going to let me die there that time I thought the lump in my breast wasn't a zit.

by Anonymousreply 70September 7, 2019 3:37 PM

The bangs (fringe) don't look nearly as good on Lady Mary Crawley Talbot as they do on that murder mystery solving Miss Fisher.

by Anonymousreply 71September 7, 2019 9:31 PM

^ That Fisher woman is as plastic as Nicole Kidman

by Anonymousreply 72September 8, 2019 9:29 AM

I'm not watching anything, no clips, no Derek Hough (who the hell though of him to host?) specials. I want to go in and enjoy whatever they offer.

by Anonymousreply 73September 8, 2019 9:35 AM

Now only 4 days until I see this - my most anticipated film for the year.

by Anonymousreply 74September 8, 2019 10:07 AM

I'm sure it will be fine. Basically an extended version of the TV show with richer composition of the photography and a few crane shots. (And the requisite Edith and Mary being bitchy, Edith being insecure, Cora giggling, Violet snarking, Violet and Isobel cross snarking, Violet and Isobel chatting fondly at the end, Carson going down on Lady Mary, Mrs. Hughes resenting everything but keeping a damned clean house, Tom Branson wavering about what's important while putting on his white tie.)

Forgot to say anything about Wobbert, which really says enough.

by Anonymousreply 75September 8, 2019 5:14 PM

The two worst miscasts of the series - Elizabeth McGovern as Lady Grantham and Sophie McShera as Daisy. But I've watched the series three times. McGovern is truly, truly horrible.

by Anonymousreply 76September 8, 2019 10:33 PM

^ Yes I'm utterly confused by that casting.

I guess that were desperate to find a non-abrasive female American that the English viewers wouldn't hate.

But she seems utterly brainless.

by Anonymousreply 77September 8, 2019 11:15 PM

Shirley Maclain was the worst casting. She's a wonderful actress but she was so bad as the American aunt. I think Fellows enjoys making Americans look bad.

by Anonymousreply 78September 8, 2019 11:49 PM

Maclaine is now a geriatric and was obviously incapable of speaking the script.

by Anonymousreply 79September 8, 2019 11:57 PM

Gillian Anderson was either considered or cast or declined but she had it first. She's declined to speak about it in interviews, contending it sucks to chatter about a part you didn't play, out of respect for the actor who did.

I would image Cora would have died when Anderson eventually said enough of this saccharine shit. The first season was a drama, the second sort of... after that the ghost Michael Landon infected the thing.

by Anonymousreply 80September 9, 2019 12:13 AM

I need a divorced, Bohemian, scandalous Edith who's fallen in with the Bloomsbury Set. I don't know why. I just need this for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 81September 9, 2019 12:21 AM

Edith isn't involved with the Bloomsbury set.

Her character was stolen from the amateur writer Nancy Mitford.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82September 9, 2019 12:24 AM

The character of Lady Sybil Crawley was stolen from communist Jessica Mitford.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83September 9, 2019 2:49 AM

The character of Lady Mary Crawley (such as it was) was stolen from Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon ( 1900 – 2002)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84September 9, 2019 2:53 AM

[quote]No Oscar for Dame Maggie for this TV movie dressed as lamb

Since you haven't actually seen the movie, we'll take a pass on taking your word for it.

by Anonymousreply 85September 9, 2019 2:54 AM

[quote]Her character was stolen from the amateur writer Nancy Mitford.

What a ridiculous way to phrase it. "Inspired by," perhaps. Not "stolen," since there's very little of the comparison there.

by Anonymousreply 86September 9, 2019 2:56 AM

Wonder what the crowd will look like on opening night

by Anonymousreply 87September 9, 2019 3:13 AM

It will look like this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88September 9, 2019 3:14 AM

Jeremy Northam as Ivor Novello was quite terrific in "Gosford Park", singing beautifully some Novello songs.

Much as I like "Downton Abbey", "Upstairs, Downstairs" with a much small production budget was even better. I still think fondly of Rose, adore the sassy Sarah, think James was a jerk and mourn Lady Marjorie when I think of that great series, among the other great characters.

by Anonymousreply 89September 9, 2019 3:27 AM

Barrow should have flipped them all off.

by Anonymousreply 90September 9, 2019 3:41 AM

The character of Cora Crawley was loosely stolen from

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91September 9, 2019 3:58 AM

John and Anna do not go to jail, they move to california, buy a motel and have a son named Norman

by Anonymousreply 92September 9, 2019 4:45 AM

In the 1960s, I knew a friend’s mom that spoke just like Cora. Very soft, baby like voice. It was a thing at the time for well brought up young ladies to never raise their voice, and having that type of soft voice was common back then.

Look at this tape of Jackie Kennedy talking. She has some of the same vocal mannerisms as Cora. Close your eyes and you can hear Cora talking like that. It’s the same cadence. And remember, people always thought of Jackie as classy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93September 9, 2019 4:49 AM

But Cora was never on assistance.

by Anonymousreply 94September 9, 2019 4:51 AM

I'd rather not see a 3rd Oscar for Dame Maggie for this. I'm hoping that Sir Ian finally gets his 1st! I'm hoping that "The Good Liar" is finally the right vehicle. As he has pointed out, no out gay actor has won an Oscar. I don't think Giulgud quite counts, as he wasn't really out. Hollywood should finally correct that omission.

by Anonymousreply 95September 9, 2019 5:14 AM

[quote] McGovern is truly, truly horrible.

I agree. I don’t care if that’s how an American woman would have spoken and looked (eyes always looking upwards). When I rewatched it, it didn’t bother me so much, though. On 2nd viewing, Edith was more irritating. Always crying or quivering.

by Anonymousreply 96September 9, 2019 6:06 AM

R95 Yes, you're right. Hollywood should finally correct that omission and award a Special Posthumous Honorary Oscar to the late Sir John Gielgud— as they did to the late Peter Finch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97September 9, 2019 6:54 AM

3 out 5 stars from the Telegraph... which by nature loves this shit. It's essentially a very expensive version of series episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98September 10, 2019 1:06 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99September 10, 2019 1:07 AM

Some pull quotes from the Maul

This film is nothing more than an entire series in miniature, full of compacted plots and sub-plots, some compelling, some preposterous, some purring'

- Brian Viner, Daily Mail

'Julian Fellowes would have been far better off writing another relaxed Christmas special to satisfy fans'

– Johnny Oleksinski, New York Post

'This film puts the lite into polite, the fine into refined and the cent into decent' – Grant Rollings, The Sun

'Upscaling the cosy charms of the series hasn't entirely worked, in that you couldn't say this comfortably belongs in a cinema at any stage'

– Tim Robey, The Telegraph

'Standing on the strong foundations of the series’ success, the film-makers sensibly resist the temptation to do anything other than build on their established crowd-pleasing formula'

– Chris Hunneysett, The Mirror

by Anonymousreply 100September 10, 2019 1:12 AM

Slightly more detail in this roundup

"plots are rickety and the characterisation has the depth of a Franklin Mint plate", but conceded the overall film was "quite enjoyable".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101September 10, 2019 11:20 AM

"Downton Abbey’ should’ve stayed a TV show By Johnny Oleksinski September 9, 2019

Two thumbs “Downton.”

PBS viewers will recall those classy evenings spent with “Downton Abbey,” the charming British series about a noble family in Yorkshire and their giant manse, which aired from 2010 to 2015. The Crawleys’ and their servants’ affairs and silverware disasters were a pleasure to watch.

And then, like all good things, “Downton” ended. Or it should’ve, because its new film continuation is as forced and unnecessary as a curtsy to Meghan Markle.

In this lifeless blob of brass fixtures and aerial shots, the Downton denizens are thrown into a tizzy when a letter arrives saying that the king and queen are coming for a visit. Polish the candlesticks! Iron the sheets! Dredge up the drama!

The main conflict is a stupid one. The butler, maids and valets of Downton are unceremoniously told they won’t be serving the royals dinner — the Buckingham Palace staff will get that honor instead. Miffed, the Downtonians take matters into their own hands, arguably committing treason in the process.

The other, slightly more intriguing complication is the arrival of the Dowager Countess’ (Maggie Smith, always fab) estranged cousin Lady Bagshaw (Imelda Staunton), who works for the queen. Bagshaw is childless and has no heir for her ample land and fortune, making Robert (Hugh Bonneville) the logical recipient. But she stubbornly refuses. The whole dust-up is easily resolved by the end.

If none of this sounds like a movie, it’s because it shouldn’t be one. Julian Fellowes would have been far better off writing another relaxed Christmas special to satisfy fans. But to pump up the film’s flowery, small-screen plot, shots are overly sweeping and every character’s entrance is given a metaphorical drumroll. The sexy intimacy that made the TV show great is destroyed. Fellowes also went way too wild on the zingers, and suddenly every lady’s maid is Oscar Wilde.

Speaking of the actors, most of them — Michelle Dockery, Elizabeth McGovern, Allen Leech, etc. — are back. And, like the dining room china, they’re fine.

by Anonymousreply 102September 10, 2019 12:42 PM

It's at 81% on RT.

by Anonymousreply 103September 10, 2019 1:33 PM

83% now

by Anonymousreply 104September 10, 2019 4:03 PM

I think the fans will give it good reviews regardless of weak content just because they are so happy to see the Crawleys and their fashion again. Realistically it should have just been a Christmas special and free on pbs to be enjoyed in one's pajamas.

Maggie swore she was finished with the show but I suspect in addition to the boatloads of money they threw at her, she probably didn't want to be the one to deny the younger actors income and a film credit for their resume.

by Anonymousreply 105September 10, 2019 5:00 PM

They are selling this thing so hard. Almost every commercial break on CNN is a Downton spot.

by Anonymousreply 106September 12, 2019 12:50 AM

Are there any English gay men on this thread?

by Anonymousreply 107September 12, 2019 12:51 AM

R107 Yes, there are.

by Anonymousreply 108September 12, 2019 12:53 AM

OK I asked because I find the producer, Gareth Neame, inexplicably hot... one of those real looking guys who just drives me mad. I can't find anything online that suggest he's wifed and kidded. He kinda pings. Any insight?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109September 12, 2019 12:56 AM

the following story notes he shares his home with "his partner" and none of the pictures suggest it's a home with kids in it.

Also super love the reference I've never heard of before... critics calling Downton Brideshead Regurgitated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110September 12, 2019 12:59 AM

Saw it tonight. Great film - fans will love it.

by Anonymousreply 111September 12, 2019 3:15 PM

Maggie is amazing, she should at least get a golden globe nomination. Might be up against Jlo in BSA lol

by Anonymousreply 112September 12, 2019 3:39 PM

Downton Queens are invited to spend the afternoon at World Market in Downton Abbey World:

[quote] Authentic tea time

[quote] Sample Downton Abbey wines*

[quote] Chat with costumed characters

[quote] Raffle drawing for Downton Abbey product

[quote] Try nibbles from our Downton Abbey food assortment

[quote] Enter for a chance to win a $25 World Market gift card

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113September 13, 2019 1:05 AM

Just saw it.

While I enjoyed it, it was definitely a love letter to fans. It was a very good episode, like one of the longer Christmas specials they did. However, it wasn't a well-done movie.

It was written, plotted, and paced like another episode of a long-running show, rather than a tightly written story for a movie with a beginning, middle, and end.

by Anonymousreply 114September 13, 2019 1:37 AM

I saw it tonight. It was nice to see them all again. Not a great film but fun to be with them. Too many silly, pointless subplots... almost nobody used effectively because they all got their three minutes. No character advancement.

Most annoying: fucking Edith. She can't even win graciously.

Best writing and story: Barrow... really a nice piece of work from everyone attached to it, from writing to acting.

Go see it... it's enjoyable... but very much Julian Fellowes modest talent.

by Anonymousreply 115September 13, 2019 3:01 AM

Most screen time: Tom (Allen Leech), Best Lines: Violet (Maggie Smith), Funniest moment: Molesly (Kevin Doyle), Most poignant moment - well there are several but its a toss up between Violet & Mary, Mary & Anna, Thomas & his new squeeze or Tom & Mary, Princess Royal. Bring on Season 7 please!!!!!!!

Robert & Cora were barely in this but it does only cover a few days. I want a new season that covers the next few months which is set up by the film to be very, very interesting......

by Anonymousreply 116September 13, 2019 6:55 AM

Did anyone else notice that Maggie Smith not infrequently appeared cross eyed?

by Anonymousreply 117September 13, 2019 10:14 AM

I thought the war of the servants was really a bit (actually a lot) of a sitcom distraction, full of cliched writing and well worn plot twists. They should have set it up so no one knew the plan, events unfolded and then it was revealed who masterminded it.

They seemed to shoot all their drone shots at dawn one morning in the autumn. Now I love a big screen beauty shot as much as anybody but it was a bit repetitive. They could have done some marvellous montages that illustrated the things Mary was questioning... shots of dressing, hair, jewels, silver, china... it was kinda there but it never felt like a designed sequence created purposefully. It was fine.... too much going on... a particularly well produced TV episode.

Remarkably, Mrs. Hughes didn't allow that the times were changing at Downton Abbey. Not once. I left the screening sober.

by Anonymousreply 118September 13, 2019 10:21 AM

Maybe they could have hired out Hudson and Mrs. Bridges...?

by Anonymousreply 119September 13, 2019 3:05 PM

Well, since we're diving into SPOILERS now, even though the movie hasn't event gone into wide release yet...

SPOILERS

I concur that the biggest single problem was that they tried to squeeze a couple lines in for every character. That created the problem of no real central story. The "inciting incident" was the notification of the royal visit, but that doesn't actually raise a question in the mind of the viewer that he wants answered - what problem will the climax address. There wasn't actually a climax to the movie. Scenes didn't turn, so there was no drama, only melodrama.

Some additional thoughts:

- Why would nice Anna have come up with that plan for the servants? Wouldn't that entire escapade be classic Barrow? It was only her because the character needed something to do and the plan for Barrow was the homo action.

- Why was Edith pushing a maid for Branson? It demonstrates that for all her protestations, she really still did see him as a servant. She was trying to hook them up long before she knew that the woman was Lady Bagshaw's heir (let alone daughter).

- While understandable, they spent more screen time on pageantry than on actual story and characters. The panoramic visuals and sweeping vistas were nice, but did they really need to spend time playing the entire anthem and showing them standing on a field. While there were a few quick words, nothing of substance happened - 2 minutes of God Save the Queen. It's only 122 minutes long.

- The subplots were wholly disconnected from each other, as well as the "main story." It's always more satisfying when these stories intersect, and the brilliant ones converge at their various resolutions.

by Anonymousreply 120September 13, 2019 4:32 PM

So Thomas finally got some gay action?

by Anonymousreply 121September 13, 2019 9:47 PM

[quote]So Thomas finally got some gay action?

Yes, from reasonably handsome Max Brown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122September 13, 2019 10:25 PM

I looked on imbd to see if Lily James is in the movie, and, thankfully, she is not. I didn't mind her in Yesterday, but I thought she was insufferable in DA. Her "mad modern" roll was beyond ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 123September 14, 2019 12:15 AM

[quote]I looked on imbd to see if Lily James is in the movie, and, thankfully, she is not. I didn't mind her in Yesterday, but I thought she was insufferable in DA. Her "mad modern" roll was beyond ridiculous.

There seems to be something going on behind the scenes. There were some snide comments a while ago that some of the actors wouldn't be participating because they are much bigger stars today than they were when they were on the show - only James fits that description. Then, she made a comment that she'd love to do it, but it would only have been a cameo role with no real story behind it and it would be tough to fit in her schedule.

Most of the folks had what amounted to cameo roles with few lines. Yet, it was nice to see them all there, even if they were simply standing in the background. They would have had to create a throwaway line, like for Matthew Goode, about why he wasn't around for the bulk of the movie, otherwise. At least with Rose, you knew she was in NY, so you wouldn't need to explain why she wasn't there although I liked the guy who played her husband (who looks better styled as Atticus than he does in real life).

by Anonymousreply 124September 14, 2019 12:40 AM

Does Samantha Bond's Lady Rosamund make an appearance?

by Anonymousreply 125September 14, 2019 12:45 AM

R125 Regrettably not.

The characters with the most screen time are Tom, Mary, Violet, Edith & Thomas. Probably in that order too.

by Anonymousreply 126September 14, 2019 2:44 AM

I thought Edith got more screen time, certainly more story. Mary had nothing to her in this story. Flustering about Barrow and Carson and stealing Robert's angst about whether they should go on with it. The last scene between Mary and Granny was nice.

Edith... fuck, she's just never happy. I could have slapped her. I wish Mary had.

by Anonymousreply 127September 14, 2019 4:46 AM

Julian Fellowes is a testament to how important it is in life to have a lot of luck.

by Anonymousreply 128September 14, 2019 4:47 AM

Spoilers for the gay story line please!

by Anonymousreply 129September 14, 2019 6:20 AM

R120 Edith was only doing that because she cares about Tom - she wants to see him find happiness in a romantic sense. He has been a widower for over seven years! He deserves some happiness, though he still naturally still pines for Lady Sybil. I don't think the Crawley's would interfere in any malicious way in Tom's happiness if the lady is question was a good match, be her wealthy or otherwise. As nice as Miss Bunting she wouldn't compromise and give the Crawley's a chance. She was sort of like Tom was when he was younger.

by Anonymousreply 130September 14, 2019 8:49 AM

Who was the cute young footman? He looked around 20 but im sure he wasn’t in the series.

by Anonymousreply 131September 14, 2019 9:18 AM

R131 Probably a background extra (wannabe actor).

by Anonymousreply 132September 14, 2019 9:34 AM

He did have some lines. Had a bit of a gay voice.

by Anonymousreply 133September 14, 2019 10:04 AM

Any Cock shots?

by Anonymousreply 134September 14, 2019 11:05 AM

R134 No. Nothing beyond kissing - for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 135September 14, 2019 11:15 AM

The torrent is now available.

by Anonymousreply 136September 14, 2019 11:28 AM

Anna's emotional breakdown scene was worth he price of admission. Finally she told everyone off and for Bates to for just once listen to her.

by Anonymousreply 137September 14, 2019 5:12 PM

Some critics are call this the "DAU - The Downton Abbey Universe", since there is a setup for future movies forever, based on the children of Mary, Edith, and Sybil (Tom). But only if this movie is wildly successful.

The Hollywood Reporter gets to the reason for a big-screen version of this show-

[quote] Shout out, by the way, to costume milliner Sean Barrett for devising perfectly character-reflecting headgear particularly to the grande dames of the ensemble, working in concert with the film and series' most gifted offscreen artist, costume designer Anna Robbins. The frocks and finery department knock it out of the park here, exploiting the big screen's ability to show even finer detail than could be seen on even the biggest home viewing system.

by Anonymousreply 138September 14, 2019 6:11 PM

Just saw the cam version and my god, Thomas dancing with that guy is one of the sexiest things I have ever seen. 😍

Though what happened with the other guys in jail who couldn't get saved using the royal connection? Or was that an intentional commentary on privilege and hypocrisy?

Anyway, I'm so glad he got a happy ending; that's exactly what I'd been waiting for since the first season.

by Anonymousreply 139September 14, 2019 6:59 PM

Was Maggie any good?

by Anonymousreply 140September 14, 2019 7:18 PM

Of course, Maggie played her greatest hits.

Agree with the poster who mentioned the cute gay extras playing the Downton footmen. Someone in the casting department has a good eye. 😏

by Anonymousreply 141September 14, 2019 7:24 PM

What's Mrs Patmore up to?

by Anonymousreply 142September 14, 2019 7:26 PM

Mrs Patmore... has a coup on her mind. 🤐

by Anonymousreply 143September 14, 2019 7:57 PM

and her coupes are to die for

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144September 14, 2019 8:02 PM

Saw it today (in London), it’s FANTASTIC!

by Anonymousreply 145September 14, 2019 9:25 PM

I am 15 minutes into it and BORED TO TEARS.

by Anonymousreply 146September 15, 2019 1:59 AM

well it the other patrons start yelling at you to stop your annoying texting and turn off your fucking phone asshole, maybe you'll be less bored

by Anonymousreply 147September 15, 2019 2:08 AM

Edith outranks them all.

You WILL bow before ugly Edith!

by Anonymousreply 148September 15, 2019 3:32 AM

'Ugly Edith!', you say.

Some people considered Edith Sitwell to be ugly, though she preferred the adjective 'uncomely'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149September 15, 2019 4:01 AM

r147 he could be watching a cam version on the interwebs.

by Anonymousreply 150September 16, 2019 1:40 AM

Downton Abbey opened no. 1 in the UK & Australia over the weekend.

by Anonymousreply 151September 16, 2019 1:39 PM

That first shot of the Abbey when the music comes in made my heart soar. I don't think anything else - apart from maybe some of the Thomas stuff - came close to it.

by Anonymousreply 152September 16, 2019 1:45 PM

does it open with my gorgeous dogbutt?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153September 16, 2019 2:04 PM

I just hope it tanks at the box office, so people will let it die in peace thereafter.

by Anonymousreply 154September 16, 2019 2:13 PM

This is the final hurrah; they're never coming back regardless of the box office.

by Anonymousreply 155September 16, 2019 2:16 PM

If the movie's a hit believe me there'll be another one.

by Anonymousreply 156September 16, 2019 2:44 PM

No, there will not be. The movie's ending is THE ending.

by Anonymousreply 157September 16, 2019 2:52 PM

All the interviews with creators and cast indicate they will wait for audience reception to see if a sequel is warranted.

I'm assuming that many in the cast would be excited for a sequel since it may be their only real opportunity to appear in a big screen project and not just TV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158September 16, 2019 2:55 PM

R139 - The other men would have gone in front of the magistrate the next morning and been fined or jailed. I didn't see it as a comment on privilege directly, in the sense that they are not privileged themselves but as lucky enough to work for those who are, although there is a wider point about privilege that we can infer from it. I don't know enough about the intricacies of the situation to know if Thomas being freed because of a royal connection was realistic, and Downton isn't of course to be relied upon for historical accuracy.

Richer men weren't immune from the witch-hunts, the most famous gay trial in the 20th century in Britain was of a Marquis and his friends, but I'm sure money and status were buffers at least, as they usually are..

I know that prosecutions of gay men were ratcheted up in the years following WW2, but this has made me want to read more about the interwar years. The last big trial before the late 1920s was Oscar Wilde, in 1895, for "gross indecency".

by Anonymousreply 159September 16, 2019 3:09 PM

Also I agree R139, the dancing was ridiculously sexy.

by Anonymousreply 160September 16, 2019 3:13 PM

I really liked the first season. After that it was all downhill for me and I think I watched as far as season 3. The writing was too "As the World Turns" for me. The plots came out of nowhere and most characters became tedious. But most fraus are still loving this piece of cotton candy and will go see it on the big screen.

by Anonymousreply 161September 16, 2019 3:16 PM

Erm, kids, brace yourselves. Downton Abbey is going to a huge hit. The Chinese are mad for it, it will probably make 100s of millions in China alone.

I can’t believe some of you bitching about it - we all know what it is. It’s well made, enjoyable light entertainment. Go and enjoy it or ignore it but moaning about it is just stupid. It’s a known thing.

by Anonymousreply 162September 16, 2019 7:11 PM

Does Bates limp in this film or does Bates not limp in this film?

Or does Bates just limp occasionally for no discernible reason?

by Anonymousreply 163September 16, 2019 7:15 PM

Michelle, Laura and Allen look great in this 4 photo slide show on Page Six.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164September 16, 2019 7:24 PM

Whoever thought that out of the whole cast Allen Leech would turn out to be "the pretty one?"

by Anonymousreply 165September 16, 2019 7:34 PM

[quote]When they said the Queen was coming to Downton...I gasped!.

Heavens, wherever did they get that idea?

by Anonymousreply 166September 16, 2019 7:35 PM

[quote] Go and enjoy it or ignore it but moaning about it is just stupid. It’s a known thing.

Or, as one review on Rottentomatoes says-

[quote] It is at all times ridiculous - but, I have to admit, quite enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 167September 16, 2019 7:42 PM

It’s rated PG ... so we’re not going to see Thomas eat ass?

by Anonymousreply 168September 16, 2019 7:47 PM

[quote]Whoever thought that out of the whole cast Allen Leech would turn out to be "the pretty one?" —Anonymous

oh my, have you forgotten where you are?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169September 16, 2019 7:52 PM

Oh goody more forced nostalgia for a time when the Union Jack flew high and mighty and everyone in Britain was whiter than white bread.

by Anonymousreply 170September 16, 2019 8:00 PM

Allen Leech was always pretty. He put on too much weight, though, and his character had stupid stuff to do like being Mary’s matchmaker.

by Anonymousreply 171September 16, 2019 8:00 PM

when he an barrow could have been hooking up....sigh

by Anonymousreply 172September 16, 2019 8:03 PM

In an interview, Allen Leech provided one possible story line for a sequel. When Tom finds out the Thomas went to gay club, he decides there is a market for gay nightclubs, so he opens one, with Mary as the DJ.

by Anonymousreply 173September 16, 2019 8:03 PM

Fans from the Chicago area dress up as Downton characters in anticipation of the movie.

So, this is a modern day Rocky Horror Show? Not sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174September 16, 2019 8:11 PM

[quote] ....everyone in Britain was whiter than white bread.

But not the fans! Here's another picture from the Chicago Downton get-together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175September 16, 2019 8:12 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176September 16, 2019 8:19 PM

....everyone in Britain was whiter than white bread.

but somehow they managed to find enough blacks so they could have race riots in 1919

by Anonymousreply 177September 16, 2019 8:35 PM

R177 Do you have a link to this alleged 'race riot in 1919'?

Or are you referring those continuously-discontent, revolting Black Irish?

by Anonymousreply 178September 16, 2019 9:32 PM

British Race Riots 1919

United Kingdom

South Shields (February 1919) – South Shields

Cardiff (June 1919) – Cardiff riots 1919

Liverpool (June 1919) – Liverpool riot 1919

London (April 1919) – Stepney

London (May 1919) – St Anne Street

London (June 1919) – Cable Street

London (June 1919) – Poplar

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179September 16, 2019 9:40 PM

^ Those minor, unresolved street scuffles are nothing compared to the Irish Revolt for Independance.

Those minor street scuffles deterred not one of the MILLIONS of Jamaicans and Indians flowing into England to enjoy England's largesse.

by Anonymousreply 180September 16, 2019 9:48 PM

Britain was more diverse back then than probably most people would expect. It was a “global empire” - plenty of colonists were making it over to the motherland.

by Anonymousreply 181September 16, 2019 10:23 PM

I saw it last week. It's good not great. Lovely clothes but too many characters for 1 film. Thomas has a lovely story line. They absolutely set up a sequel. With Imedla Staunton taking over for Maggie Smith. If it makes as much $ as I suspect filming should begin soon. (my mother loved it)

by Anonymousreply 182September 16, 2019 10:34 PM

It's a great film to take your mother to. Light and a bit silly, but enjoyable. I agree that they could definitely continue, almost indefinitely really since it is the ongoing stories of a large group of people (family and servants). Fans of the series know them well enough that we can just dip and out of their lives. Agree that Thomas story-line was definitely the best - I was impressed with how much they managed to do with such a small amount of screen time.

by Anonymousreply 183September 16, 2019 10:42 PM

154 Its already a success.

by Anonymousreply 184September 16, 2019 11:37 PM

r169 he's lost weight.

by Anonymousreply 185September 16, 2019 11:40 PM

We got to see what a secret, illegal gay bar would've looked like in the 20s. That was quite interesting.

by Anonymousreply 186September 16, 2019 11:57 PM

R186 The dresses may be accurate but don't assume you saw an accurate rendering of a secret, illegal gay bar would've looked like in the 20s.

For one things a real bar would be a confined space within 4 rectangular walls. Movie sets are circular and ridiculously large to accommodate all the cameras, crew, electrics, gaffers etc etc,

by Anonymousreply 187September 17, 2019 3:11 AM

r187 of course liberties (as they always are) were taken but the general gist of it was the same.

by Anonymousreply 188September 17, 2019 3:15 AM

You, R188, seem to talk as though you patronised a secret, illegal gay bar in the 20s.

by Anonymousreply 189September 17, 2019 3:25 AM

r189 I'm just saying it was a glimpse into a vanished world none of us ever saw, even though surely some liberties were taken, as they always are in film and tv. It was interesting, and really put things in perspective. We take so much for granted today.

by Anonymousreply 190September 17, 2019 3:59 AM

R186 some of the eldergays on here probably owned one!

by Anonymousreply 191September 17, 2019 8:56 AM

Owned one... I'm still in the Clink for doing the Charleston with Harry Bonar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192September 17, 2019 10:37 AM

Saw an article that Highclere Castle is available on AirBnB. That would be fun.

by Anonymousreply 193September 17, 2019 10:54 AM

It's true.... a one off but the whole Downton experience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194September 17, 2019 11:05 AM

^ Why is the Socialist Newspaper 'The Guardian' giving this show publicity?

The Guardian LOATHES rich people!

by Anonymousreply 195September 17, 2019 11:23 AM

Do we get to see Bates and Anna have coitus?

Does Mrs Hughes (Carson) remind us of Downton's regular visitor, change?

by Anonymousreply 196September 17, 2019 3:12 PM

I was a big fan of the series but having just streamed the film, I am over it. It really highlighted why the series was played out and ended. Too much time has passed, and now we view the BRF and aristos through the lens of pedo Andy and Meghan Markle. The staff's desperation to serve their 'betters' is pathetic and cringeworthy.

by Anonymousreply 197September 17, 2019 3:31 PM

"I always found Hugh Bonneville curiously sexless and unappealing. A hotter man in his 40s should have been cast, a TV version of Colin Firth or Jason Isaacs."

Where does it say in the script that he has to be drop dead gorgeous?

by Anonymousreply 198September 17, 2019 3:42 PM

Agreed R198, I'm not sure whether the OP of the comment is American, but I've heard it said that one of the difference is that we (UK) allow ordinary and imperfect looking people on our tv dramas, whereas American tv is mostly wall-to-wall sexy/hot for the leads. I find that a bit sad tbh, and prefer our way. No wonder there is so many people with unhealthy relationships with their bodies if the only people with more than a line or two have to be incredibly attractive.

Downton is hardly the most historically accurate drama (if anybody wants an historically much more accurate version then watch Gosford Park, which is very very good), but the idea that the midlle-aged Earl of this era would be in any way sexy to most of us is particularly unrealistic.

by Anonymousreply 199September 17, 2019 3:52 PM

I thought Hugh Bonneville was extremely sexy when he was having the affair with the housemaid.

But really, the only characters with any sex appeal at all are Barrow and Sybil.

by Anonymousreply 200September 17, 2019 4:01 PM

Definitely Barrow R200, all that repression! can't even imagine how hot his first not with the royal footman will be. I'm sure they'll be able to meet up some guest house or rooms where no-one knows them, and write to each other until then.

by Anonymousreply 201September 17, 2019 4:04 PM

* I mean first 'night' not first not.

by Anonymousreply 202September 17, 2019 4:12 PM

I thought I was the sexiest, unlike that flat-chested Scary Mary or horse face Edith "Creepy" Crawley!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203September 17, 2019 4:29 PM

Lady Mary says: "Bury your Gays.

Michelle Dockery was asked:

Q: In a game of Shag, Marry, Kill, what would be the fate of Carson, Tom Branson, and Thomas Barrow?

MD: “I would say marry Carson, kill Barrow, and shag Branson."

by Anonymousreply 204September 17, 2019 9:28 PM

I would kill Carson and shag Barrow and Branson at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 205September 17, 2019 9:30 PM

‘Downton Abbey’ Movie Sequel? Producers Tease That They Have ‘Some Ideas’

-VARIETY September 17, 2019

by Anonymousreply 206September 17, 2019 10:57 PM

R206 I'd rather another series so that all the characters get pretty much equal screen time. I loved the film but a two hour film simply cannot do that.

by Anonymousreply 207September 18, 2019 5:54 AM

Love how they maintain the class differences....Tom the Irish ex-employee who married an aristo is being set up with Lucy the illegitimate daughter of another aristo.

by Anonymousreply 208September 18, 2019 6:02 AM

Love how they maintain the class differences....Tom the Irish ex-employee who married an aristo is being set up with Lucy the illegitimate daughter of another aristo.

by Anonymousreply 209September 18, 2019 6:02 AM

R209 "I'll lick the stamps"

by Anonymousreply 210September 18, 2019 6:38 AM

That line got the biggest laugh of anything she said.

by Anonymousreply 211September 18, 2019 12:06 PM

R209 They make a very nice couple but know one can ever really replace Sybil as Tom's true love.

by Anonymousreply 212September 18, 2019 1:45 PM

The actress who played Sybil left the show for "bigger and better" things and pretty much fell off the face of the Earth. Bad career move.

by Anonymousreply 213September 18, 2019 1:58 PM

R213 Ditto Dan Stevens who wanted to become a big Hollywood Star - talk about bad timing - just as the whole star system is pretty much over. Mind you had Sybil & Matthew remained Downton Abbey would have turned out much differently. Their deaths help steer the series into different directions that were probably not planned. Hated seeing them go but their deaths and the aftermath of grief that followed provided some of the very best moments of the series. Sybil's death was probably the most horrific death scene I've ever seen in the film and it wasn't just ever death but everyones reactions. Gut wrenching stuff. Thank goodness we were spared the funerals of Matthew & Sybil - it would have been too much.

by Anonymousreply 214September 18, 2019 2:03 PM

[quote]Ditto Dan Stevens who wanted to become a big Hollywood Star - talk about bad timing - just as the whole star system is pretty much over.

Yes, those days are pretty much over. A hit tv show that's an INTERNATIONAL hit and gets a ton of press and attention is the best thing going these days. Most actors would kill for that. Leaving a huge hit show to become a movie star (like Bruce Willis etc.) is not really happening anymore.

And now Stevens is back on TV in "Legion," a show that doesn't get 1/4 of the attention Downton Abbey got.

by Anonymousreply 215September 18, 2019 3:02 PM

I don't know what the hell Dan Stevens was thinking, no way was he major movie star material. Talk about delusional. He's good-looking and a decent actor, but not at all the type who would ever be a big box office star.

by Anonymousreply 216September 18, 2019 3:08 PM

I thi k a lot of them thought Downton might just be a one off miniseries, that's what it was described as in 2010. It's only when it became a huge hit that a lot of the actors realised they were in this for longer, for better or worse.

by Anonymousreply 217September 18, 2019 4:54 PM

I wonder if Julian sent Dan, Jessica and Siobhan invites to the the London premiere, you know, just to rub it in...

by Anonymousreply 218September 18, 2019 5:05 PM

Even so r217 it became a huge international hit and apparently they weren't even satisfied with that. I think many actors automatically think they're just one lucky break away from movie stardom and don't realize that it's never going to happen so they're never satisfied if they luck into a tv show that's a big hit.

by Anonymousreply 219September 18, 2019 7:27 PM

[quote] know one can ever really replace Sybil

Oh dear!

by Anonymousreply 220September 18, 2019 7:35 PM

Fraus go in droves to see movies that cater to their interests. We been knew.

by Anonymousreply 221September 18, 2019 7:36 PM

Rob James Collier doesn't appear to have joined the cast here for NYC premiere and talk show rounds, wonder why...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222September 18, 2019 11:01 PM

Robert James-Collier @ 2:58.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223September 19, 2019 1:34 PM

[quote] I always found Hugh Bonneville curiously sexless and unappealing. A hotter man in his 40s should have been cast, a TV version of Colin Firth or Jason Isaacs.

Hugh WAS a sexy man but seemed to be drinking a lot during the series and clearly stopped giving any fucks by season 3.

by Anonymousreply 224September 19, 2019 1:51 PM

Alan Leech is on Watch What Happens Live tonight, looking surprisingly gorgeous. He seems to have lost the weight he had put on during the series, but is still looking thicc through the thighs. So sexy.

by Anonymousreply 225September 20, 2019 3:27 AM

Allen didn't like the Miss Bunting story either, lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226September 20, 2019 4:55 AM

I just saw it last night, what's not to like.

Mild spoiler: although the movie wraps up nicely, and the conclusion seems logical, there are old and new foundations in place should they decide to continue.

by Anonymousreply 227September 20, 2019 4:04 PM

Pretty wonderful, loud applause at the end. Want Part II now.

by Anonymousreply 228September 20, 2019 8:52 PM

R223. Why is it that Rob James-Collier looks a million times better out of his Downton drag, like a different person?

by Anonymousreply 229September 21, 2019 12:32 AM

R222 - I thought Collier just doesn't like leaving England

by Anonymousreply 230September 21, 2019 12:37 AM

Sweet budding romance with the king's staff member...

by Anonymousreply 231September 21, 2019 3:50 AM

R227 There will be another movie it’s supposed to open this weekend with $33M!

by Anonymousreply 232September 21, 2019 6:33 AM

R232 That's fantastic! I want more Downton Abbey. More, More, More

by Anonymousreply 233September 21, 2019 11:16 AM

The ‘Downton Abbey’ movie erases Thomas’s gay history. And ours.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234September 21, 2019 1:18 PM

I've not got time to read the link right now but it did confuse me that Thomas said in the film that he had never met another ma like him before when we know he has had at least one lover in the past - the Duke who came to stay at the house in the first season with whom he had had an affair.

by Anonymousreply 235September 21, 2019 1:58 PM

[quote]Someone as driven as Thomas would have returned to London and such places every chance he could. He would have made friendships with other gay men among its 7 million people, and could have found real love and that better job; perhaps even a wealthy lover and moved to a small village like Carpenter and Merrill.

Ahhhh there are tons of gays who have "relations" and still stay in the closet. It was illegal to to be gay in those days (see the brilliant "The Imitation Game" which also features Alan Leech). Barrow was probably very comfortable at Downton but was too guarded to move to London and take chances. I was very happy with the arc in the film.

by Anonymousreply 236September 21, 2019 1:59 PM

R234 There are so many plots going on. The article is a good read and does make so valid points but the staff of Downton Abbey never seemed to stray too far from it. And as for a night out in London, they downstairs staff seemed to be virtually working all nights which is when any man on man action going on London would be underway in full swing.

One thing I didn't like about the article is that it doesn't cover the good side of Thomas. When he returned from WW1 he helped Lady Sybil caring for seriously wounded soldiers and together Thomas & Lady Sybil lobbied for particular cases to be brought to Downton Abbey. Thomas also comforted that dying soldier who had lost his sight - a very moving scene by the way.

Thomas was very upset when Lady Sybil passed away and always kept an eye on Sybbie - to the point when he noticed that Nanny West was not treating Sybbie well. Thomas warned Cora that Nanny West was not looking after the children properly and then Cora sprung Nancy West behaving far worst I must say that anything Thomas had ever done.

Thomas also helped get the family out of a jam in Lily Jones' in-laws by digging up some dirt at Lady Mary's request.

And the kids loved Thomas. He'd let them get on his back and ride him like a horse. As Miss Baxter said to him once "You are your own worst enemy" which was so true.

by Anonymousreply 237September 21, 2019 3:00 PM

It's a hit

by Anonymousreply 238September 21, 2019 3:26 PM

I'm not going to be a total contrarian, R237, but I will make these comments about your observations.

[quote] Thomas also comforted that dying soldier who had lost his sight - a very moving scene by the way.

He comforted the beautiful young soldier, and not the hideously burned one that Edith spent time with. Thomas was completely a Datalounger, in that it's most tragic when someone beautiful dies.

[quote] Thomas was very upset when Lady Sybil passed away and always kept an eye on Sybbie - to the point when he noticed that Nanny West was not treating Sybbie well. Thomas warned Cora that Nanny West was not looking after the children properly...

I really think you miss-remembered that? The irony was that Thomas got great credit for warning Cora about the evil nanny, but not from his observations about how she treated the children. He was pissed at the nanny about how HE was treated by her. She showed him no respect and treated him like a servant, so he was out to get her. The joke in the story is that back-biting Thomas, who principally looks out for himself, finally did something good for others by accident, and then gets credit for this selfless service. (I just saw this episode last week.)

by Anonymousreply 239September 21, 2019 3:26 PM

The director of the movie makes some comments about the gay story-line in the movie.

One purpose of the Thomas story-line-

[quote]“Just that kind of reminder, in a few places here and there, that it's not so kind of rosy and easy for everybody. That there are people who are not included, and that there are parts of that world...that are pretty rough and unforgiving and ungenerous.”

Also interesting-

[quote] The ending (for Thomas) is sweet and promising, but according to Engler (the director), it almost ended in a completely different way....The scene was cut, Engler said, because it felt “more like a defeat” when their intention was to give Thomas “some hope and optimism, even though it was a little mixed.”

The description of the more realistic ending for the Thomas story is in the linked article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240September 21, 2019 3:38 PM

If I were an Academy member I would nominate Robert James-Collier. Not because it's a gay story line, but because he was really lovely and subtle and you knew Barrow was smitten but could never dare act on a Royal employee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241September 21, 2019 3:53 PM

I think I speak for all of Datalounge when I say that I would be on my knees for Rob James Collier in half a second.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242September 21, 2019 4:15 PM

Saw it today, nice comfort food for fans of the series but can't imagine why anyone who has never seen the series would be interested though.

Caroline seems a little special kind of like her cousin Marigold... That was a huge 18 month old Johnny Bates, lol, I think they soap opera rapid age syndrome'd him.

When they were all outside greeting the King and Queen's arrival why did Mary get to stand before Bertie and Edith, shouldn't they have been first in line according to title.

Hope we get a sequel, the ending of the movie makes a time jump possible.

by Anonymousreply 243September 21, 2019 7:03 PM

Was there any nudity in it?

by Anonymousreply 244September 21, 2019 7:08 PM

Bjlv g.j ok

by Anonymousreply 245September 21, 2019 7:08 PM

It's expected to be #1 at the box office, beating Brad Pitt's Ad Astra and performing much better than expected. Count on another DA movie being made.

by Anonymousreply 246September 21, 2019 7:08 PM

[quote]Saw it today, nice comfort food for fans of the series but can't imagine why anyone who has never seen the series would be interested though.

Same way people who have never read a comic book would check out one of those movies, they want to see what the hub bub is about. It's a fine entertaining movie that stands on it's own.

by Anonymousreply 247September 21, 2019 7:27 PM

What about me and my snatch?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248September 21, 2019 7:42 PM

Was your filthy mouth of Sybil.

by Anonymousreply 249September 21, 2019 7:57 PM

Was it what?

by Anonymousreply 250September 21, 2019 8:28 PM

Wash your filthy mouth out, Sybil...

by Anonymousreply 251September 21, 2019 8:41 PM

Funny how the Sybil actress wanted out to make films yet Lily James is the one who became a movie star.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252September 21, 2019 9:31 PM

The Sybil actress (Jessica Brown Findlay) wanted to be a movie star and went nowhere, and now she's 30. Dan Stevens wanted to be a movie star, and now he's back on a tv series (Legion) that's nowhere near the phenomenon that Downton Abbey is.

If you're on a series that's a huge worldwide hit and gets tons of media attention, FFS stay on it! That's the best you're going to get.

The actress who plays Mrs. Patmore said that in so many words on the NBC Downton Abbey special that just aired.

by Anonymousreply 253September 21, 2019 9:36 PM

Lily James had exquisite timing because she was on it after it really became a smash in the US too, and was noticed for several big movies.

She and Jessica were together in that Potato Pie Society movie along with Cousin Isobel and someone else I am forgetting from Downton.

by Anonymousreply 254September 21, 2019 11:31 PM

The box office numbers are great

by Anonymousreply 255September 21, 2019 11:54 PM

How come no one told me that young Dr Clarkson was so HOT?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256September 22, 2019 10:01 AM

[quote]I think I speak for all of Datalounge when I say that I would be on my knees for Rob James Collier in half a second.

Who wouldn't

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257September 22, 2019 1:32 PM

I saw it last night and loved it. No, it doesn't stand on its own. But it was a fast-paced movie which, I think, gave a much better ending to the series than the series finale did.

by Anonymousreply 258September 22, 2019 1:34 PM

I really disliked it. Like Benedict Cumberbatch I stopped watching during Season 2 and didn't find it all that interesting.

It's no Gosford Park, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 259September 22, 2019 1:55 PM

Did Cumberbatch really say that?

by Anonymousreply 260September 22, 2019 2:00 PM

Loved it- entertaining as hell. Shows you that pure entertainment can focus on human drama and silliness and need not include special effects and smash up violence around every corner designed to thrill 14 year old boys. That’s what it is- a very entertaining soap. Adult entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 261September 22, 2019 2:01 PM

r260 yes. He had to publicly apologise to Julian Fellowes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262September 22, 2019 2:10 PM

Never knew Cumberbatch called DA "fucking atrocious." Looks like he let his real persona (extreme snob) slip out in an unguarded moment with a jounalist.

BTW, Parade's End was too long and tedious at times.

by Anonymousreply 263September 22, 2019 2:20 PM

In fairness, he called the second season fucking atrocious. He apparently liked the first one, which I did. It became even soapier and even less character driven and scattered with the WW1 stuff.

by Anonymousreply 264September 22, 2019 2:25 PM

Not really about the comment itself but someone upthread said about him letting the mask slip - it made me think of how disappointing it is that so many actors are (I'm sure) not half as nice as they pretend to be. It must be odd working on one of those chat shows and knowing what complete arses some of them ar4e but then creating the opportunity for them to act being affable and charming for the audience and all their fans. If they're half decent actors you would never know how much is real.

Probably a lot of people in life that we admire would be a disappointment if we actually me them.

by Anonymousreply 265September 22, 2019 2:31 PM

“We certainly do not have space for that blonde little Trollope”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266September 22, 2019 2:33 PM

I'm so glad rose wasn't in it, she's insufferably annoying and a very shallow character.

by Anonymousreply 267September 22, 2019 2:34 PM

Saw it last night every character had a happy ending including the gay butler with a hot plainclothesman. If this is successful be prepared for a sequel.

by Anonymousreply 268September 22, 2019 2:40 PM

It reminded me of the escapist entertainment from the 1930s where the characters flirt with disaster but everything comes out ok in the end.

by Anonymousreply 269September 22, 2019 2:42 PM

R268 - no it wasn't a hot plainclothed policeman, it was a hot second valet to the king.

by Anonymousreply 270September 22, 2019 2:45 PM

r265 lots of celebrities are totally different in their private lives. Their public personas are affable, but in reality they're awful shits. Cumberbatch apparently fits this category, in respect to that he's a terrible snob and very smug in real life.

by Anonymousreply 271September 22, 2019 2:45 PM

Woody Allen warned, "Don't meet your heroes," because of the ensuing disappointment. I think he said this in regards to Groucho Marx. But ironically, this applies especially well to Woody Allen.

by Anonymousreply 272September 22, 2019 2:51 PM

Woody Allen is such a gross delusional little man. At least there would be no disillusionment if you were ever to meet him because he hasn't even bothered to hide his true self.

by Anonymousreply 273September 22, 2019 2:55 PM

Mrs. Patmore punches Rambo in the face..... #1!

In a surprise upset, Downton Abbey won the crowded weekend box office race with a better-than-expected $31 million from 3,079 theaters, royally beating the final installment in Sylvester Stallone's iconic Rambo action franchise and a new space thriller featuring one of the world's biggest movie stars, Brad Pitt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274September 22, 2019 4:41 PM

Will there be a sequel? You crunch the numbers and decide.

Downton Abbey, $13+ million dollar budget (not including a significant marketing budget), earned $63 million worldwide in one week.

Ad Astra, $80 to $100 million dollar budget before marketing, earned $45 million worldwide in one week.

by Anonymousreply 275September 22, 2019 4:49 PM

They should lock all the actors into a second movie and timetable immediately. I wouldn't mind if they can't get Matthew Goode again, the pairing just doesn't work for me. Maybe they could make widowhood a recurring theme in Mary's life. Also, I've read here on DL that MG was not the easiest to work with, maybe the cast would be glad to be rid of him.

by Anonymousreply 276September 22, 2019 4:56 PM

[quote]They should lock all the actors into a second movie and timetable immediately.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a option in the contract for this movie that the cast will be available for a sequel.

Since planning for movies are years in advance there probably was an option in the previous contract for the movie.

by Anonymousreply 277September 22, 2019 5:25 PM

So now they are practically confirming a sequel to the movie-

[quote] (Downton Abbey) producer Gareth Neame said: "We’ve got some ideas of things we would explore... but it all depends on the next few days. It’s all about the fans and the audience — if they love this and watch it, well then, we’re out to do more."

by Anonymousreply 278September 22, 2019 5:48 PM

Michelle Dockery seems like a truly lovely person. She is an expert at doing talk shows. Her fiance died at some point and she kept on going. She seems like she fully understood that Downton Abbey was a chance of a lifetime for an actor, and she took full advantage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279September 22, 2019 7:59 PM

Was it a great or even very good movie? No. Was it fun to spend two hours with all those characters again? Definitely. And I’m glad Tom has gone from hot to chubby and now back to hot again.

by Anonymousreply 280September 22, 2019 9:22 PM

[quote]She seems like she fully understood that Downton Abbey was a chance of a lifetime for an actor, and she took full advantage.

I wonder if Dan Stevens and Jessica Brown Findlay no regret their decisions to leave the show. Their careers haven't exactly set the world on fire after their departure from DA.

by Anonymousreply 281September 22, 2019 10:53 PM

I would love to watch a BBC/ITV/whatever produced period piece drama series about the underground gay club/night life scene in the 1920s ... someone make it happen.

by Anonymousreply 282September 22, 2019 11:33 PM

[quote]So now they are practically confirming a sequel to the movie

After the end of the movie the first thing I said to my partner was they are going to do a sequel.

by Anonymousreply 283September 22, 2019 11:54 PM

[quote]Was it a great or even very good movie? No.

Well I thought it was a wonderful movie.

by Anonymousreply 284September 22, 2019 11:55 PM

I saw it tonight, and hated it. I would have left had I gone alone. I am not a monarchist, and I found the obsequiousness and desire of the staff to "serve their betters" was disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 285September 25, 2019 3:58 AM

It was a fun movie, not a masterpeice but nice.

by Anonymousreply 286September 25, 2019 4:03 AM

It was a full house here in CT. Everyone cheered when Barrow finally got his kiss. Such a great moment.

by Anonymousreply 287September 25, 2019 4:06 AM

R282 Not quite what you're looking for, but the German show "Babylon Berlin" might interest you. It's available on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 288September 25, 2019 4:56 AM

[quote]Their careers haven't exactly set the world on fire after their departure from DA.

Dan Stevens has had a pretty good career. Jessica Brown Findlay has all but disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 289September 25, 2019 5:05 AM

Dan Stevens is currently on Legion which isn't exactly an international hit like DA.

by Anonymousreply 290September 25, 2019 5:10 AM

R214 I don't feel that way about Dan Steven's career. He was the lead actor in a hit Disney film(Beauty and the Beast) just a couple years ago, Legion was very well received in it's first couple of seasons because it was just so wild(unfortunately as happens with many totally trippy shows like that, the writers goes off the rails and can't sustain it) AND it showed his versatility, he was doing all sorts of different accents, and crazy stuff. He was about as far away from Matthew Crawley as you can imagine. I'm fairly certain he doesn't regret leaving Downton Abbey. He's also probably made quite a bit more money than he would if he'd stayed. :)

R235 I might be misremembering but I don't think Thomas said he'd never met anyone else like himself. It was more like he was saying he had no friends like himself. No one to talk to, to share things with. He had an affair with a Duke but I doubt the duke took him any place except to bed, I doubt they were out socializing much despite what the article assumes. And the Duke also would have been way out of his league socially so it wasn't really a friendship despite the affair. He spent much of the rest of his time scheming as opposed to living his life maturely. Whereas with this new guy, he feels like someone who at the very least could genuinely be a friend, someone he could trust. As it turns they both want more but during that conversation Thomas seems happy about the idea of having a friend he can just be himself with and that I think is a fairly new experience for him.

by Anonymousreply 291September 25, 2019 5:13 AM

Thomas was just relieved that he had finally someone to talk to, just a couple of blokes walking and talking, without have to guard himself so carefully...

by Anonymousreply 292September 25, 2019 5:24 AM

R290 I doubt he really cares whether Legion is an international hit. It's been more interesting creatively AND he's the lead. So better position in the cast(first on the call sheet), more money, more interesting creatively - it's win win for him.

Beauty and the Beast made 1.2 Billion dollars at the box office. It earned $357 million it's opening weekend worldwide. I'm pretty sure he's not regretting his choice.

He is working regularly in the US, he's been cast in lead roles. He's been in some very successful projects, he's worked with some major stars.

by Anonymousreply 293September 25, 2019 6:15 AM

[quote]Never knew Cumberbatch called DA "fucking atrocious." Looks like he let his real persona (extreme snob) slip out in an unguarded moment with a jounalist.

Or, rather than a snob, perhaps he's just not a monarchist. There are a lot of people who are reacting to the Downton Abbey movie with disdain because they are anti-monarchists.

by Anonymousreply 294September 25, 2019 8:15 AM

You have to admit, the obsequiousness of the staff was pretty bad. I am all for taking pride in your work and can see how the DA staff would be hurt and offended by the implication that they were not up to the mark, but staging an elaborate hoax so they could cook for and serve the royals was too much.

by Anonymousreply 295September 25, 2019 9:41 AM

But Stevens' ambition was to be a big movie star, not to be on tv.

by Anonymousreply 296September 25, 2019 12:23 PM

Since leaving Downton she's played 17 different parts. I reckon any number of actors would kill to disappear completely like that. She's doing the English actor thing... mega stardom in the American definition seems less a priority than working.

by Anonymousreply 297September 25, 2019 12:33 PM

Stevens had a shit ton of work done and moved to the US right quick. Don't believe for a second he wasn't thirsty for mega stardom.

by Anonymousreply 298September 25, 2019 12:50 PM

r296 He starred in a couple of movies and in an artsy show under Noah fucking Hawley. Most of his DA co-stars would have killed to do that. Besides, how the hell do you know what his ambition was?

Honestly, I think it's just one DLer who for some reason keeps insisting Stevens should be at Tom Cruise level of fame by now. So bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 299September 25, 2019 1:01 PM

Nobody gets that much work done and moves to the US if they don't want to be a huge star.

by Anonymousreply 300September 25, 2019 1:03 PM

Stevens was hungry for it, like Tom Hiddleston, but less obnoxious about it.

by Anonymousreply 301September 25, 2019 1:05 PM

[quote]Honestly, I think it's just one DLer who for some reason keeps insisting Stevens should be at Tom Cruise level of fame by now. So bizarre.

There were many posters when Stevens left DA talking about how transparently ambitious he was. And the point was that he would never be a big A List star because his look and persona were all wrong for it.

by Anonymousreply 302September 25, 2019 1:07 PM

Dan Stevens has etched out a post-Downton Abbey career. The hugely successful Beauty and the Beast and a mish mash of features films with some television work.

Whilst it was sad to see Dan Stevens & Jessica Brown Findlay (and for that matter Siobhan Finnernan) heave the show it meant Julian Fellowes didn't have to select a character or two to kill off - the actors did it form him and helped take the direction of the show in a different way than if they had stayed. The on-going success of the show is not only a highlight for all those that have remained and come on board but also for Steves, Findlay & Finnernan) because the forced Fellowes hand.

by Anonymousreply 303September 25, 2019 1:12 PM

Worldwide gross after 5 days - $75.5 million.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304September 25, 2019 5:13 PM

75M , wow. Somewhere the costume designer is texting Julian asking what year the sequel will be set in so she can get to work on the gowns asap.

by Anonymousreply 305September 25, 2019 5:21 PM

For a period movie like this, what would be good enough to get a sequel?

Pride and Prejudice (2005) only made about $120mm or Atonement (2007) made $130mm, so the bar doesn't seem that high for doing well at the box office for this type of movie.

by Anonymousreply 306September 25, 2019 5:37 PM

The only thing missing is a Spratt and Denker catfight.

by Anonymousreply 307September 25, 2019 6:30 PM

why did Findlay & Finnernan leave?

by Anonymousreply 308September 25, 2019 8:46 PM

All 3, Stevens, Findlay and Finneran gave the same reason: contract up, time to move on. However, I find it odd Finneran is never mentioned in any context even when the cast/Julian are discussing S3 departures, makes me think there's more to the story with her.

by Anonymousreply 309September 25, 2019 8:54 PM

The anti-Dan Stevens troll is a little bit unhinged. He speaks authoritatively about Stevens’ ambitions, but doesn’t actually know shit about the subject, it’s all just his own idle (and feeble) speculation.

by Anonymousreply 310September 25, 2019 9:44 PM

r310 that's your own projection. Stevens' departure and the reasons for it were covered at length on DL and in other places at the time.

by Anonymousreply 311September 25, 2019 11:12 PM

R308 Findlay wanted to see if you could play roles other than Sybil. Finnernan got bored and wanted to move onto other things.

by Anonymousreply 312September 25, 2019 11:14 PM

Findlay was a hopeless anachronism as Sybil.

Findlay looked Samoan and illegitimate.

by Anonymousreply 313September 25, 2019 11:17 PM

As much as I like Matthew as a character and found Dan Stevens quite charming and handsome in the role, if he had stayed, it would have become more like manufactured soap opera melodrama. His character reached the natural end of his arc by fathering the next Earl, and his death created storylines for other characters to explore, like Isobel.

I'd argue same for Findlay's Sybil. Her death is what propels Tom's character growth. She, too, reached the natural terminal point for her character. It would have just been more of the same rebel with a good heart fighting the injustice of the system and not caring about social convention.

What was a waste was introducing Matthew Goode's Henry Talbot and having him partner with Tom in Talbot and Branson Motors. The spine of the entire Downton Abbey story was the changing times, the decline of the landed gentry and aristocracy, and the rise of the self-made man and capitalism. Rather than the silly assassination storyline, they should have explored how the old order is upended by a huge commercial success of Talbot and Branson. THAT story juxtaposed against the visit of the King, the symbol of the old order, would have made for a much more compelling story. Where Henry had birth, but no great wealth and Branson had neither birth nor wealth at the beginning, it would have been interesting to see how the family and other reacted to their rise in stature. They could have explored the issues of new money and the conflict with people with status, but no money. A great scene would have been Branson facing Larry Grey (Lord Merton's son), a banker, a third time. But this time, Larry could have been trying to win business by sucking up to Talbot (a gentleman), but being forced to deal with Branson and not being able to do it, even if it meant losing his job.

by Anonymousreply 314September 25, 2019 11:33 PM

Paging Julian Fellowes...

by Anonymousreply 315September 26, 2019 1:07 AM

[quote]Dan Stevens has etched out a post-Downton Abbey career.

Oh Dear! we didn't even know the lad could draw

by Anonymousreply 316September 26, 2019 2:52 AM

^ The verb 'eke' is no longer recognised in the 21st century world of Gibberish

by Anonymousreply 317September 26, 2019 3:25 AM

R316 Dan's very talented.

by Anonymousreply 318September 26, 2019 9:33 AM

Allen Leech likes to hang to the left. We saw this a couple of times.

Important information...

by Anonymousreply 319September 26, 2019 10:00 AM

There's probably a lot of unused DA film footage that hasn't been used that can be used in the sequel making the sequel easy to produce since fewer new scenes are needed.

by Anonymousreply 320September 26, 2019 10:30 AM

I don't like Benedict Cumberbatch but I don't get why it makes him a snob to say that Downtown Abbey was fucking atrocious. It was pretty silly to a lot of people. I liked it but after a while I felt the same way.

by Anonymousreply 321September 26, 2019 10:46 AM

R321 Benedict Cumberbatch should lot at a lot of the shit he has made. He can start with the Marvel nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 322September 26, 2019 2:24 PM

Cumberbatch is such an obsequious ass kisser

by Anonymousreply 323September 26, 2019 4:42 PM

[quote]I don't like Benedict Cumberbatch but I don't get why it makes him a snob to say that Downtown Abbey was fucking atrocious. It was pretty silly to a lot of people. I liked it but after a while I felt the same way.

Perhaps because his own family was part of the class being depicted? His father probably grew up with people whose families once had and lost their estates.

[quote]His grandfather, Henry Carlton Cumberbatch, was a submarine officer of both World Wars, and a prominent figure of London high society. His great-grandfather, Henry Arnold Cumberbatch, was a diplomat who served as consul in Turkey and Lebanon, and his great-great-grandfather, Robert William Cumberbatch, also was a British consul in Turkey and the Russian Empire. Cumberbatch is third cousin 16 times removed of King Richard III, whom he portrayed in The Hollow Crown. Motivated by this connection, he attended Richard III's 2015 reburial and read a poem.

by Anonymousreply 324September 26, 2019 4:51 PM

^ No titles. The fact is Bennie is a left leaning luvvie. Like most theatre types. Exclude the Downton bit and most posters here would agree with his political and social views.

by Anonymousreply 325September 26, 2019 4:52 PM

He almost housed some Syrian refugees at his posh London house, but then something or other happened and well, you know............

by Anonymousreply 326September 26, 2019 4:54 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327September 26, 2019 5:45 PM

I always thought Edith was holding back laughter during the scene where Violet is on the phone asking "is this an instrument of communication or torture." Here is Laura Carmichael admitting she did laugh and they left it in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328September 26, 2019 7:59 PM

Allen Leech could not be more adorable.

by Anonymousreply 329September 26, 2019 11:00 PM

[quote]Rather than the silly assassination storyline, they should have explored how the old order is upended by a huge commercial success of Talbot and Branson. THAT story juxtaposed against the visit of the King, the symbol of the old order, would have made for a much more compelling story.

I kind of enjoyed the irony of Branson being the savior of the monarchy, so the “silly assassination” was perfectly fair for me (better than some long drawn out General British Motors corporate prosperity subplot). And I loved his influence on Princess Anne.

by Anonymousreply 330September 27, 2019 5:03 AM

[quote]Rather than the silly assassination storyline, they should have explored how the old order is upended by a huge commercial success of Talbot and Branson. THAT story juxtaposed against the visit of the King, the symbol of the old order, would have made for a much more compelling story.

I kind of enjoyed the irony of Branson being the savior of the monarchy, so the “silly assassination” was perfectly fair for me (better than some long drawn out General British Motors corporate prosperity subplot). And I loved his influence on Princess Anne.

by Anonymousreply 331September 27, 2019 5:03 AM

Spoiler Alert ! ! !

by Anonymousreply 332September 27, 2019 6:31 AM

its ok, but weak plot, I found the 'royalty coming for visit' to be weak, but the gay bar stuff was great, should have expanded on that.

by Anonymousreply 333September 27, 2019 7:21 AM

I can't get enough of Downton Abbey. I ordered some books on the series on Amazon - can't wait to receive them.

by Anonymousreply 334September 27, 2019 7:34 AM

It'd be entertaining if the King died in Mary's bed and they had to carry him along the balcony back to his room.

by Anonymousreply 335September 27, 2019 8:22 AM

That was a pretty hot and bustling gay speakeasy for such a provincial next-town-over kind of joint.

by Anonymousreply 336September 27, 2019 9:36 AM

Twas the only exciting part of the sonorious beast of a movie..

by Anonymousreply 337September 27, 2019 10:29 AM

[quote]I kind of enjoyed the irony of Branson being the savior of the monarchy, so the “silly assassination” was perfectly fair for me (better than some long drawn out General British Motors corporate prosperity subplot). And I loved his influence on Princess Anne.

The problem is that the subplot had no real impact on the "main" plot and did not intersect in any meaningful fashion with it. Also, the issue of Branson's political affiliations has been resolved from a character arc point of view.

It's not corporate prosperity subplot. The story of Downton reflects social class and social change. Money, as well as the lack of it, has been an integral part of the show. It's why Robert married Cora in the first place. It has been the ongoing issue for keeping Downton afloat - and the realization that that way of life is on its last gasp of breath.

Finally, it would have better integrated with the Lucy Smith/Maud Bagshaw subplot since Lucy was about to inherit Maud's seemingly large estate and fortune. That is a third iteration on the theme of money and social class arising from Lucy's change in social position based on money. For her, it would be a different instance from Talbot's or Branson's.

Structurally, to make themes in movies and books work, you need to provide at least three instances in order to create resonance: once to set the existing situation, a second to show an alternative, and a third to show contrast. It tends to create a more satisfying and integrated story, rather than simple black-and-white or good/evil comparisons or worse, one-off situations as the assassination storyline is.

Of course, that's all personal opinion, and there's no reason why you have to agree. I didn't dislike the assassination story. I just felt like it was a wasted opportunity to expand on the themes and create a more integrated subplot.

by Anonymousreply 338September 27, 2019 12:40 PM

[quote]Allen Leech could not be more adorable.

oh, i think we might disagree had he shown peen

by Anonymousreply 339September 27, 2019 1:58 PM

I thought the assassination thing was stupid too.

Like all the 800 subplots, nothing got enough time for development, except, surprisingly, the gay subplot. I barely understood Mary was suspicious of Tom. (Which frankly she would have called him on at this point in their relationship.)

It was a big long episode of Downton Abbey, tarted up like a film. It was great to see them again and it delivered on brand. I just recall Season One (like most Seasons One) where there's some actual plot and character and storytelling. This was in many respects a very expensive Hallmark movie, but I understand their dilemma and they did it well for what it was.

by Anonymousreply 340September 27, 2019 2:44 PM

The weirdest part was the stealing subplot and how quickly Anna figured it out

by Anonymousreply 341September 27, 2019 8:25 PM

I saw it today and while in the theater I liked it, but as I headed home I began to see that it was really just an unneeded nostalgia piece. Looking at the film, it really was just a season's worth of story lines crammed into a two hour playing time making none of them feel overly satisfying and left everything feel rushed. The Thomas love story was probably the most touching and I would have loved to have seen that spread out over 8 or so episodes. The same goes with the impending illness of Violet whose confession to Mary was moving but so rushed. The plots from the movie would have made a good series 7, but as a movie it was meh. Interestingly, I think they avoided killing Maggie Smith's character off outright in case of a sequel.

by Anonymousreply 342September 27, 2019 8:45 PM

[quote]The weirdest part was the stealing subplot and how quickly Anna figured it out

I have to say that that was much worse than the assassination plot. It was the ultimate combine two useless subplots to resolve them in a neat bow. The Edith subplot about the dress was downright silly.

[quote]I think they avoided killing Maggie Smith's character off outright in case of a sequel.

It seems more like the setup for a sequel without Maggie Smith without actually having to kill a fan favorite on screen and depressing people.

I agree that it really was a season's worth of stories jammed into two hours. There simply weren't enough beats to the scenes or enough scenes to make any of them feel like they had enough room to breathe.

But, I enjoyed visiting with the Crawleys again and would enjoy another outing if they were inclined to make another movie.

by Anonymousreply 343September 27, 2019 9:49 PM

I think the writing was sloppy. Much was made of Mary being Violet's spiritual heir, yet her character shows none of Maggie Smith's character's charm, glee, or wit. She is just a sourpuss . They could have added a scene or two to show that Violet's characteristics skipped a generation.

by Anonymousreply 344September 27, 2019 9:54 PM

I have a feeling the sequel will be Three Weddings and a Funeral in Yorkshire , shenanigans and stiff upper lips abound.

by Anonymousreply 345September 27, 2019 10:10 PM

R343 Maggie Smith was one of the reasons the show ended after the sixth series because she didn't want to keep doing the show. My reading has always has been that Smith wouldn't do a movie unless it was on the condition that they would kill Violet off. Her impending demise was almost a given going in. Julian Fellows has always stated he would never kill Violet off on screen so it makes sense he went this route. I think it is now all but certain there will be a sequel and giving that Violet's death has been set it gives them the option to either move on in the next film OR bring Violet back for a big death scene next film should Smith wish to return.

R342 I agree that the story lines would have been great if they had an entire season to expand upon them. Would have loved to seen Thomas falling in love and changing while giving a glimpse into the gay underground of the 1920s.

by Anonymousreply 346September 27, 2019 10:23 PM

Violet arguably had her death scene with Mary at the end of the movie. What more is there to say?

But... I could see a whole movie built around Violet knowing she was gravely ill... putting things right, putting things in motion... there could be a lot of poignancy in a script like that. Maybe she renounces her diagnosis to avoid being fussed over, but is dying all the time. And then she dies quietly and with dignity, maybe even off screen.

by Anonymousreply 347September 27, 2019 10:32 PM

I see the sequel addressing her death in flashbacks throughout the movie and short, fuzzy flashbacks at that. Anything more would make it too dark and make it difficult to focus on any other story lines. They'll want us to remember the Dowager fierce and strong, not dying in front of our eyes.

Or they could open the film with the procession back from the funeral, show one flashback to catch us up and then proceed with rest of story lines.

When the series ended Maggie was emphatic no more Downton for her but she did relent and do the movie (gift to fans and cast?), I doubt she'll be gifting more than a short appearance in future film. Baton passed to Imelda Staunton.

by Anonymousreply 348September 27, 2019 10:50 PM

[quote] (gift to fans and cast?

Gift to her bank account, more like.

by Anonymousreply 349September 27, 2019 10:52 PM

I highly enjoyed it but it should have been season 7

by Anonymousreply 350September 27, 2019 11:25 PM

Why the producers feel that it's possible Maggie Smith would do another Downton movie ***spoilers ahead****:

[quote] it seems that even Smith may not have her mind made up yet on if she would return (to do another movie). The star, THR can reveal, tweaked the line of dialogue delivering the news about her health — giving hope to fans worldwide.

[quote] "The scripted dialogue was, 'I do not have long to live,'” recalls producer Liz Trubridge, who was in the room when the Smith and Dockery scene was filmed. "And Maggie said that line on every one of Michelle’s takes. But when it came to her own take, she said, 'I may not have long to live.'"

[quote] She continues, "I think it was very deliberate. She said it every time. If we do another one, it depends when it’s set. But if it were near enough and it would be believable, then we would see if she was up for it. I don’t think you can jump too far ahead because then everybody starts aging and none of us are very keen on aging everyone up. So it has to be relatively close."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351September 27, 2019 11:43 PM

The next movie should be around 1930 or '31, when the party was over and the Depression was beginning.

by Anonymousreply 352September 27, 2019 11:49 PM

Alan Leech was on Kelly Clarkson today and he said one of his first acting jobs was when he was 17. It was a father and son story and he had a scene wearing a Speedo. The costumer thought the character was 8 so the suits were very small. There was no time get a bigger one so he had to wear the small one. During the scene they yelled cut! and he asked what's wrong and they pointed down. Kelly screamed laughing "It fell out!?" Alan nodded yes.

by Anonymousreply 353September 28, 2019 12:34 AM

^ Unnecessary prurience!

But I'm more interested in knowing if the new movie shows King George and Queen Mary on screen.

by Anonymousreply 354September 28, 2019 12:37 AM

Yes r354. I was disappointed that Queen Mary wasn't written as the imperious bitch she actually was.

by Anonymousreply 355September 28, 2019 12:38 AM

^ She may have seemed 'imperious' because she was married to the head of the British Empire.

(which most sensible historians regard as the most beneficent empire in the history of the planet)

by Anonymousreply 356September 28, 2019 12:46 AM

I'm not sure if I want to see them lose everything in the depression

by Anonymousreply 357September 28, 2019 1:37 AM

In a Julian Fellowes script right after they lose everything they'll just stumble across someone who will somehow give them bags of money.

by Anonymousreply 358September 28, 2019 1:51 AM

They can offset the sadness of the Depression with weddings:

Branson and New Girl

Daisy and Laura Carmichael's boyfriend

Molesley and NotO'Brien

and if Mr. Mason is still kicking then maybe Mrs. Patmore can become Mrs. Mason . Then the Upstairs can act all confused and befuddled by the new name like they did when Mrs. Hughes got married and then they'll decide to continue to call her Mrs. Patmore and she will let them because they paid for her cataract surgery.

by Anonymousreply 359September 28, 2019 1:53 AM

The worst part of the later seasons is that all the love interests for Mary look like brothers. I could never tell a one of them apart, and the "winner" doesn't distinguish himself at all.

by Anonymousreply 360September 28, 2019 2:00 AM

r360

the winner was the worst

by Anonymousreply 361September 28, 2019 2:12 AM

Agree Talbot was a poor choice...he needs to meet with an unfortunate accident next time he is in America doing car stuff.

by Anonymousreply 362September 28, 2019 2:33 AM

Did everyone recognize the actor who did a decent job playing Mr. Bakewell?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363September 28, 2019 4:10 AM

Like others have said, when I watched the movie I enjoyed myself. It was nice to see these characters again, but even during the movie I did feel like something was missing. I've come to realize it was the lack of conflict in the story that was one of the big problems with the film. What I mean by conflict is that there was nothing at stake really. The worst was broken hot water tank and that's it.

One of the first rules of adapting a TV show to film is that the story has to bigger, the stakes dramatically higher, and massive consequences and changes for the characters. Otherwise, the film falls into "two hour episode" territory. I know they had done the "we might lose Downton" story a dozen times on the show, but they needed something like that to make this feel like a movie. The King and Queen coming to Downton really wasn't all that cinematic more like it was trying to appeal more to an American audience.

Also for a show that had no issues killing of major characters left, right and center, the lack of a big character death was kind of a surprise. Yes, we learned Violet is dying but personally I felt they took an easy way out. Violet's death should have been a much bigger part of the plot and they should have killed her off by the end. Clearly based on the article R353 posted, this was a cop out in case Maggie Smith decides she does want to do another one.

Overall it's not a bad movie, but it is an example of why TV show don't often translate well on the big screen.

by Anonymousreply 364September 28, 2019 4:17 AM

[quote]One of the first rules of adapting a TV show to film is that the story has to bigger, the stakes dramatically higher, and massive consequences and changes for the characters.

Thank you for your stimulating producing advice. Now which bigger and better movie adaption did you produce? Wild Wild West, The Dukes of Hazzard, Bewitched, The Beverly Hillbillies, Land of the Lost, Speed Racer, The Avengers, The Honeymooners, Masters of the Universe, Lost in Space, Sgt. Bilko and so and so that were huge flops? Adapting a TV show is not easy and the DA team did it brilliantly.

by Anonymousreply 365September 28, 2019 9:23 AM

[quote]Her impending demise was almost a given going in.

In the sequel they will have Maggie Smith chewing the scenery for at least half the movie before she dies.

by Anonymousreply 366September 28, 2019 11:36 AM

Jesus, R365 isn't over invested, is she?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367September 28, 2019 11:45 AM

Has anybody ever watched the deleted scenes from the series that are up on YouTube.

Its a shame a lot of them weren't left in - perhaps an 'extended Blu Ray' edition of the series could be put most of them back in.

Most of them are really good but one particular one is awful. Its the morning after Sybil dies and Robert, Matthew & Edith are at breakfast. Tom walks in, Carson hands him a plate and then when he goes to the dinning table Edith asks 'Did you manage to get some sleep?' - a truely cringe worthy moment. Actually the scene would have worked had Tom not been in it - too distraught to leave his room. As an extra on a Blu Ray its fine for its curiosity value but I wouldn't put that scene back into the series.

by Anonymousreply 368September 28, 2019 2:09 PM

I haven't seen the deleted scenes but originally there were three books published that were annotated and had original scripts. The plot never changed but some of the dialogue was much better and more interesting. I often wished they'd put out the rest but they couldn't have sold well enough to make it worth it. You can still get up to Series 3 on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 369September 28, 2019 2:11 PM

Why do we think Downton Abbey became such a phenomenon? A show about English aristocrats in the early 20th century is not something, at least on paper, that one would've expected to become such an international hit show that people are obsessed with.

by Anonymousreply 370September 28, 2019 2:35 PM

R370 I think because the characters are so engaging. I mean some of the storylines are as creaky as hell but the actors make them work. I loved all the main characters (yes, even O'Brien) and most of the minor ones too.

The only characters that I hated, and you are meant not to like them one bit are Vera, Edna, Larry, Larrys future wife (what a despicable pair they are - so well suited), that media mogul guy that Mary nearly ends up marrying and the pompous doctor that oversaw Sybil's birth.

Even Susan, who was Lily James' mother, though she was cunty I sought of felt sorry for her because she couldn't help herself. She did everything with the best intentions but her judgement was fucking applying to say the least. The actress that plays her is great, I've seen her in numerous things over the years most notably in Clapham Junction - she was the mother of the young teenage boy attracted to the pedo across the street.

Anyway, there is something so lovely about Downton Abbey. If I had to spend all eternity watching one thing over and over again it would be the series (and the film which is just a continuation).

by Anonymousreply 371September 28, 2019 2:48 PM

I'm watching a cast interview on YT and the subject of the Crawleys visiting America is brought up for a future movie. Gareth Neame said they wanted to do an American visit around the time Shirley MacLaine was on the series but couldn't finance it. I bet they'd have the money for a quick jaunt over to New York or Newport in a movie's budget...

by Anonymousreply 372September 28, 2019 2:51 PM

371 here again. Another hideous minor character was Nanny West. That scene were Cora catches treating Sybbe terribly is one of the many highlights. Best single piece of acting Elizabeth McGovern has ever given.

by Anonymousreply 373September 28, 2019 2:52 PM

R365 your examples actually proved R364's point. TV shows rarely are adapted well for film and there are ton of examples of this. DA producers did an okay job, but it was far from perfect. Downtown has a huge ensemble cast of characters and you can't do them justice during a two hour film. A lot of the character scenes felt gimmicky. Like Isobel confronting Violet's cousin about her maid. Tom's royal story lines were so contrived.

by Anonymousreply 374September 28, 2019 2:59 PM

And did Baxter even have a line? She was there, looking excited at all the right times, but I don't recall her saying a damn thing.

by Anonymousreply 375September 28, 2019 3:04 PM

They could send some of them to collect their share of the loot after MacLean's character dies, off screen. But if they all go it would just reinforce the carelessness of Fellowes' plotting. Maybe they could go to the Grand Canyon, too, and the Brady kids could do cameos.

by Anonymousreply 376September 28, 2019 3:05 PM

Miss Bunting was also a Charm School drop out.

by Anonymousreply 377September 28, 2019 3:15 PM

Miss Bunting was a fascinating character in that she never had a likeable moment or a soft side to her. She was just a bitch. I suppose that was Fellowes getting revenge on Labour voters as he imagined them.

by Anonymousreply 378September 28, 2019 3:18 PM

[quote]Miss Bunting was a fascinating character in that she never had a likeable moment or a soft side to her

Teaching and inspiring Daisy was her Saving the Cat, but it didn't quite work because it made Daisy less likable, except for the one moment when she helped Mr.s Pattmore write the letter for her nephew.

by Anonymousreply 379September 28, 2019 3:28 PM

I'd like a flashback movie with Violet and her husband ruling Downton.

by Anonymousreply 380September 28, 2019 3:59 PM

There was talk of a prequel several years ago... I alway thought Cate Blanchett could play younger Violet, I don't know why... she just seemed the type. The prequel could be a good PBS thing.

by Anonymousreply 381September 28, 2019 4:03 PM

[quote]Why do we think Downton Abbey became such a phenomenon? A show about English aristocrats in the early 20th century is not something, at least on paper, that one would've expected to become such an international hit show that people are obsessed with.

Because above all else, it's just a soap opera, which have been popular since the radio days.

by Anonymousreply 382September 28, 2019 4:21 PM

I don't know how some of you can remember the names of every single character who has ever appeared on this show. I've had to do some Googling to put a face to the name for some of these people.

by Anonymousreply 383September 28, 2019 5:42 PM

[quote]I don't know how some of you can remember the names of every single character who has ever appeared on this show. I've had to do some Googling to put a face to the name for some of these people.

The characters and their names are relatively easy, but you do have to look up stuff like how they are if you want to be more precise than ballpark.

by Anonymousreply 384September 28, 2019 5:45 PM

They really should have a brief scene in the next movie where Edith stops by Anthony Strallan's house (or funeral) to thank him profusely for leaving her at the altar.

by Anonymousreply 385September 28, 2019 6:12 PM

Edith and Bertie will probably lose all their money, so Julian will have Edith belatedly sue Strallan for breach of promise, taking everything, and restoring them to riches.

by Anonymousreply 386September 28, 2019 6:17 PM

Fuck, why did Netflix take the series down?! Guess I could be an old person and get the boxset out from my local library.

by Anonymousreply 387September 28, 2019 6:22 PM

iTunes has it but only to buy, not to rent.

by Anonymousreply 388September 28, 2019 6:28 PM

Just watch it on one of the streaming sites that are free.

by Anonymousreply 389September 28, 2019 6:31 PM

It's still available on Amazon Prime for free for members.

by Anonymousreply 390September 28, 2019 6:55 PM

Question: When Mrs Patmore was becoming blind due to cataracts, how did she shave and maintain her intimate areas?

by Anonymousreply 391September 28, 2019 7:34 PM

Why did Mrs. Hughes always have to write to the Bryants for Ethel? Why couldn't she write to them herself, were stamps unreasonably expensive at the time?

by Anonymousreply 392September 28, 2019 7:38 PM

Because Mrs. Hughes was a bossy bottom.

by Anonymousreply 393September 28, 2019 7:46 PM

Mrs. Hughes, as housekeeper, was responsible for the moral welfare of her staff as well as for their performance. That Ethel managed to get herself pregnant was in some respects a failing by and reflection on Mrs. Hughes. So it was probably good form that Mrs. Hughes should try to manage the situation. Additionally it's assumed a little bit of pressure was applied because the claim of paternity, a scandal for the Bryants too as was their son fucking the local drudge, was obviously not as closely held a secret as the Bryants might have wished.

by Anonymousreply 394September 28, 2019 7:48 PM

[quote] They really should have a brief scene in the next movie where Edith stops by Anthony Strallan's house (or funeral) to thank him profusely for leaving her at the altar.

No offense to the actor who played Anthony Strallan, but the character was not attractive at all, IMO. Something about the way he moved his mouth and spoke were unattractive, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 395September 28, 2019 9:36 PM

The Queen's favorite tiara made into the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396September 28, 2019 10:09 PM

Saw it yesterday and it was good for what it is: an extended episode for the fans of the show like my partner and myself. It did feel a bit disjointed with a number of storylines getting introduced and wrapped up very quickly. I get why they did it; every single character from the original show had to be given something to do in the movie, the Crawleys and the servants. Matthew Goode had very little screen time so what was the point of bringing his character back from Chicago (!) for that ball? As much as I enjoyed Thomas' storyline, would York in 1927 really have a secret hopping gay bar like that one ??

Having read somewhere not that long ago that Phoebe Waller-Bridge read for one of the roles on the show and got rejected for "being too funny", I couldn't help imagining her as a cast member, maybe playing the new girl character.

by Anonymousreply 397September 28, 2019 10:20 PM

[quote] I was disappointed that Queen Mary wasn't written as the imperious bitch she actually was.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm disappointed if Fellows tried to make Mary's character more likable. Mary being an imperious bitch was the core of DA. I much preferred her character to Edith's, i.e., always crying and whimpering.

by Anonymousreply 398September 28, 2019 10:42 PM

Queen Mary, r398. Not Lady Mary.

by Anonymousreply 399September 28, 2019 11:04 PM

Is this the King that stutters? He spoke perfectly well in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 400September 28, 2019 11:45 PM

R400 No his SON was the king that stuttered, Queen Elizabeth's father.

by Anonymousreply 401September 28, 2019 11:52 PM

King George V and Queen Mary were the present Queen's paternal grandparents.

Incidentally, Queen Elizabeth II was one year old when the movie takes place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402September 29, 2019 12:16 AM

I thought the thieving seamstress was a strange plot too until I remembered there has always been this rumor that Queen Mary would just take anything she liked when visiting. This plot, although still strange, maybe was a way to reference that.

by Anonymousreply 403September 29, 2019 1:48 AM

The dude who came to fix the boiler was a sexy chav, would have loved to see him plow Daisy in the wine cellar.

by Anonymousreply 404September 29, 2019 1:52 AM

R403, I think it was a wink to that allegation too.

R398, I may have missed it but I thought was a reference to the actual Queen Mary not Downton's Queen Mary. In any event, Fellowes does sugar up both the King and Queen in a way that I can't imagine, but he's making pablum, not drama.

So from Toronto tonight, to my surprise, both the early and late showings were sold out on two screens tonight. I kinda thought a big opening weekend and then a slow descent. And there are nine showings tomorrow.

One thing I got thinking about tonight was Gosford Park, also a Fellowes script and that got a lot accomplished despite a mega cast. But the plot was focused. Fellowes just tried to cram in as many plots as characters and none of it got done particularly well.

by Anonymousreply 405September 29, 2019 2:32 AM

"The dude who came to fix the boiler was a sexy chav, would have loved to see him plow Daisy in the wine cellar."

Ew, why? Did straight guys infiltrate this board?

by Anonymousreply 406September 29, 2019 2:51 AM

He was hot, Daisy was a fool not to go for it, instead of the nonentity she's engaged to.

To bad the boilermaker didn't plow Barrow

by Anonymousreply 407September 29, 2019 4:29 AM

R370/371 – Besides the luxurious costumes and setting, I think it’s mostly the show’s warmth and generally happy tone. Despite frequent tragedy, everything always comes out OK by the end; nobody is depressed for very long or left to wallow in misery. Compare it with Mad Men – also a pop culture phenomenon that heavily featured period porn. But MM, while artistically better television, was cold as ice. I have rewatched many episodes of MM because it’s good and because the early ‘60s ambiance is irresistible, but I can’t imagine turning to it as comfort TV, the way I turn to Downton. DA is like the Golden Girls in that respect; even when the plots are creaky, improbable or just not very good, it’s familiar and comforting like home.

by Anonymousreply 408September 29, 2019 6:26 AM

R372, they already hit us over the head with the American vs. English bit in almost every episode; I don’t think I want even more of it by immersing the Crawleys in interwar American society. That would only be interesting if some of the Crawleys took up with café society … which they would probably then turn into a cliché by having Mary or Edith be arrested in a raid on a speakeasy.

by Anonymousreply 409September 29, 2019 6:31 AM

Idle thought … what a shame David Suchet is no longer doing Hercule Poirot. We’re in Agatha Christie territory now in terms of timeline. I think a DA murder mystery with M. Poirot investigating would be wonderfully entertaining. Imagine Poirot interacting with Violet!

by Anonymousreply 410September 29, 2019 6:33 AM

Did Thomas (Barrow, not Branson) smoke in the movie, as he did in the series? It's really unrealistic and improbable that more characters weren't smoking by 1927. Mary, for one, seems like someone who would take to cigarettes like a duck takes to water. Most of the men would smoke as a matter of course by that time.

by Anonymousreply 411September 29, 2019 7:15 AM

I’ve still never seen a single episode of this show, but I’m looking for new things to watch. Is Downton worth my time?

by Anonymousreply 412September 29, 2019 7:31 AM

R411 I don't think he smoked in the film - maybe the pub scene where he meets to guy that takes him to the gay venue but I really don't remember. At two hours there wasn't any time to indulge of scenes of Thomas puffing away.

by Anonymousreply 413September 29, 2019 8:57 AM

R412 Yes - the whole series. You are looking at about 55 hours but its very rewarding particularly if you like English costume dramas. Great acting across the board.

by Anonymousreply 414September 29, 2019 8:58 AM

What did Isobel, Mrs Merton get up to? More do-gooding?

by Anonymousreply 415September 29, 2019 9:15 AM

R415 She really doesn't have much to do in the film. A couple of great exchanges with Violet and a quick talk to Imelda Staunton's character that was rather rushed. I wanted more Isobel.

by Anonymousreply 416September 29, 2019 9:28 AM

r411

I don't think he did in the movie.

I actually thought the same thing about no one else smoking and it was very much in vogue but other than Barrow, O'Brien, Rose(once) and Mary's boring husband... I can't remember any of the main characters smoking

by Anonymousreply 417September 29, 2019 12:26 PM

Now that you mention it, the lack of smoking is odd for the period.

by Anonymousreply 418September 29, 2019 1:54 PM

Wonder if Highclere prohibits smoking of any kind on the premises....

by Anonymousreply 419September 29, 2019 2:01 PM

Imelda Staunton is married to Carson in real life.

Lucy Smith is dating Daisy's footman in real life.

by Anonymousreply 420September 29, 2019 3:46 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421September 29, 2019 4:18 PM

The Downton parody on SNL last night was funny.

by Anonymousreply 422September 29, 2019 5:10 PM

[quote]Lucy Smith is dating Daisy's footman in real life.

LOL - I stand corrected. I don't even know what I was thinking since I know that it's Edith dating him.

I have no idea why I wrote Lucy Smith.

by Anonymousreply 423September 29, 2019 5:11 PM

Here's financial info on some movies (like Downton) that have been in release for 2 weekends:

Downton Abbey, $107 million worldwide box office, production cost without marketing- $10-$15 million

Ad Astra, $89 million worldwide box office, production cost without marketing- $80-$100 million

Rambo Last Blood, $46 million worldwide box office, production cost without marketing- $50 million

by Anonymousreply 424September 29, 2019 5:19 PM

I can't believe they made that movie for $15 million. I'm not challenging it, it just seems super cheap even for a simple film with no special effects.

by Anonymousreply 425September 29, 2019 5:21 PM

^^^ Nice numbers, bring on the sequel.

I suggest in the sequel Mary be a widow -- again. Her boring husband Henry could have been exposed to the same strain of flu that conveniently and quickly took Lavinia Swire out.

Then have Mary meet a Duke, one with looks and personality. Mary getting promoted will continue the series theme of Edith never being able to be happy or win for very long.

by Anonymousreply 426September 29, 2019 5:25 PM

[quote] I can't believe they made that movie for $15 million.

I've seen in other articles that the range was $10 to $24 million production cost without marketing. The producers haven't released the actual cost, but another recent article quoted the $10 million figure again.

I guessing the marketing budget for TV was significant, because it was impossible to escape the ads for the movie last week.

by Anonymousreply 427September 29, 2019 5:57 PM

I'm also surprised at how little money, relatively speaking, it cost to put on such a big period piece. The wardrobe alone looks like it cost a fortune.

by Anonymousreply 428September 29, 2019 5:59 PM

R428 they've used the same sets and costumes since September 2010 so they didn't have to budget huge amount for that.

by Anonymousreply 429September 29, 2019 7:28 PM

The costumes were all new for the movie, I think.

by Anonymousreply 430September 29, 2019 7:30 PM

I don't get Hulu, is Lady Sybil actress still a Harlot?

by Anonymousreply 431September 29, 2019 7:49 PM

Rule of thumb in box office is that a film needs to recoup at least three times its budget in ticket sales before it typically starts turning a profit. This is because on top of the budget you have marketing costs, distribution, and international box office agreements in place where studios do not pocket as much from international ticket sales.

Downton's budget has been estimated at between $15 and $20 million. Using the upper figures, Downtown needs to have made a minimum of $60 million and it's alreadly well beyond that. Downtown is Focus Feature's highest grossing movie ever, so a sequel is all but guaranteed at this point.

That being said, the film had a big drop at the box office this weekend falling more than 50%. Given the lack of new competition this weekend beyond Abominable, it's a surprising dip. Typically a dip higher than 35% to 40% between opening and second weekend is viewed as sign that a film lacks strong "box office legs."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432September 29, 2019 8:20 PM

I'm pleasantly surprised that this received a PG rating despite the gay plotline

by Anonymousreply 433September 29, 2019 8:27 PM

I don’t think a gay plotline alone is enough to earn a film an R or PG-13 plotline, is it?

by Anonymousreply 434September 29, 2019 8:52 PM

Is it me or does the director of this movie look a bit like an older relative of Novak Djokovic's?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435September 29, 2019 9:10 PM

More like Steve Carrell’s father or uncle.

by Anonymousreply 436September 29, 2019 10:12 PM

"I don’t think a gay plotline alone is enough to earn a film an R or PG-13 plotline, is it?"

It seemed like every movie in the past that had a gay storyline (even a tame one) would get a PG-13 at least

by Anonymousreply 437September 30, 2019 2:41 AM

[quote]It seemed like every movie in the past that had a gay storyline (even a tame one) would get a PG-13 at least

Forget pronouns.

If a gay storyline or two guys kissing is enough to get a more restrictive rating than if it were a straight couple, THAT is something we ought to be addressing. I care a lot more that access to movies is being restricted purely on that basis if it's true.

by Anonymousreply 438September 30, 2019 3:24 AM

[quote]The Downton parody on SNL last night was funny.

But Aidy Bryant should have played Mrs. Patmore and the tall girl who always plays dumb blondes could have handled the Housekeeper role.

by Anonymousreply 439September 30, 2019 5:58 PM

I was surprised Aidy didn't attempt a Scottish accent. I don't know what she was doing, but it wasn't Mrs. Hughes. Carson was spot on and Mary - Cecily Strong could dub for Michelle Dockery.

by Anonymousreply 440September 30, 2019 6:00 PM

Someone needs to play matchmaker in the next movie and fix up Lady Bagshaw with Shrimpy, Rose's dad. I liked the character and the actor.

by Anonymousreply 441September 30, 2019 9:04 PM

[quote]Someone needs to play matchmaker in the next movie and fix up Lady Bagshaw with Shrimpy, Rose's dad. I liked the character and the actor.

What I don't get is that Lady Bagshaw's father was Robert's great uncle, his father's uncle. Wouldn't that make Lady Bagshaw a contemporary of Violet instead of Robert?

Robert Crawley was born around 1862 (he was said to be about 50 years old at the start of the show in 1912 the year the Titanic sank), so about 65 in the movie (about the same actual age of Imelda Staunton).

Something just seems off to me.

by Anonymousreply 442September 30, 2019 9:33 PM

You try cramming 327 plots into two hours, R442, and then let's talk about continuity.

by Anonymousreply 443September 30, 2019 9:36 PM

r442

not necessarily, He could have been on his 2nd or 3rd wive so he could have had children when he was older with a younger bride

by Anonymousreply 444September 30, 2019 10:22 PM

I've come to wive it wealthily in Padua, er, Downton...

by Anonymousreply 445October 1, 2019 12:32 AM

Producers re-filmed ending of the movie to give Thomas a happy ending....it sounds like he was originally going to stay in jail.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446October 1, 2019 2:14 AM

The alternative ending for Thomas was discussed up-thread, and it didn't involve him staying in jail. It had Thomas calling the guy he grew close to during the story, and having a woman (the guy's wife) answering the phone call from Thomas.

by Anonymousreply 447October 1, 2019 2:28 AM

Where was Mary's son in the film???? What about Edith's illegitimate daughter?

by Anonymousreply 448October 1, 2019 10:22 AM

R448 They were basically, briefly background people.

by Anonymousreply 449October 1, 2019 11:33 AM

R448 We don’t even learn the daughters name until almost the end of the film

by Anonymousreply 450October 1, 2019 12:51 PM

R448 We don’t even learn the daughters name until almost the end of the film

by Anonymousreply 451October 1, 2019 12:51 PM

We need more scenes with Sybbe and doting dad Tom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452October 1, 2019 12:55 PM

Sybbie is a Plain Jane like Aunt Edith

by Anonymousreply 453October 1, 2019 3:56 PM

When the series was in production I recall reading that Allen Leech was the child whisperer or wrangler and could get the babies/kids to do what needed to be done better than any of the professionals on set and that the kids all loved him. I think it was Lily James who said it.

by Anonymousreply 454October 1, 2019 4:36 PM

r454 Irish people have a real knack for that, for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 455October 1, 2019 8:37 PM

R454, that's nice, because he and his wife are expecting their first child.

I like every DA actor whose interviews I've seen, but Allen Leech is by far the nicest and funniest of the group. He seems like a genuinely funny, friendly guy. I hope that's not just a facade for the public; if it is, I don't want to know.

P.S. He's cute, too, although Rob James-Collier is hotter, in my opinion, probably because I have a thing for guys with dark hair and pale skin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 456October 1, 2019 8:51 PM

Allen Leech may be by far the nicest and funniest but I wouldn't want him handling my accounts or managing the Downtown Farm Products Company.

by Anonymousreply 457October 1, 2019 9:04 PM

Here's a fair but truthful review of the movie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 458October 1, 2019 9:29 PM

^That review is by a freelancer named Daryl who specializes in writing, productivity, self etc

by Anonymousreply 459October 1, 2019 9:35 PM

R459 So regular people named Daryl can't write movie reviews?

by Anonymousreply 460October 1, 2019 9:36 PM

Daryl has nothing more to offer than Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 461October 1, 2019 9:44 PM

R461 well I liked his review and if you didn't good for you. Now back to your parents basement.

by Anonymousreply 462October 1, 2019 9:47 PM

Daryl is no Bosley Crowther.

The late Bosley Crowther could easily analyse a movie and break down the components to see why movies succeed and fail.

by Anonymousreply 463October 1, 2019 9:48 PM

R463 He died before most people on DL were born honey.

by Anonymousreply 464October 1, 2019 9:51 PM

[quote]Irish people have a real knack for that, for some reason.

Young children understand the accent but can't separate one Irish from another, so the murderous reputation of the Sisters of the Vicious Piety is a benefit to us all. Many was the night I read bedtime stories from their enduring classics "The Baby Jesus Weeps Blood Over Your Sin" and "The Angel of Death is at the Foot of Your Bed."

by Anonymousreply 465October 1, 2019 9:52 PM

^ Patsy, I remember meeting 'Mother Mary Victim of Jesus'.

by Anonymousreply 466October 1, 2019 9:53 PM

This may be up thread but worth pointing out: "The scripted dialogue was, 'I do not have long to live,'” recalls producer Liz Trubridge, who was in the room when the Smith and Dockery scene was filmed. "And Maggie said that line on every one of Michelle’s takes. But when it came to her own take, she said, 'I may not have long to live.'"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 467October 1, 2019 9:59 PM

I suspect the sequel will revolve around the King and Queen returning to Downton, because they forgot something when they were packing.

by Anonymousreply 468October 1, 2019 10:00 PM

I actually met Allen Leech at TIFF when he was promoting that Alan Turing movie a few years ago and he was a bit shorter than I had thought watching DA and a bit pudgier than on the show but still quite attractive. He's one of those guys who's sexy and cuddly at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 469October 1, 2019 10:27 PM

I would plow Allen Leech's big round milky white mick ass six ways to fucking Sunday if I could. Love that guy.

by Anonymousreply 470October 1, 2019 11:12 PM

R468 and the main source of conflict will be clogged toilet in the King's suite.

by Anonymousreply 471October 2, 2019 4:14 AM

I suggest the sequel feature Michael Gregson's wife fully recovered and newly released from the insane asylum (turns out it was just PMS) and out to recover her husband's fortune from that tart Edith.

by Anonymousreply 472October 3, 2019 8:55 PM

Also, O'Brien should be her lady's maid.

by Anonymousreply 473October 3, 2019 10:41 PM

Clever lad that Andy the Footman...pursuing the Widow Mason and her widow's dole she's been socking away all these years... she's also a proper heiress set to inherit Mr. Mason's farm lease, equipment and money...no wonder he smashed the boiler at the thought of losing her...Andy the gold digger.

by Anonymousreply 474October 5, 2019 1:08 AM

I want a whole movie featuring the lusty adventures of the boiler man...preferably as he discovers the joys of man-on-man sex.

by Anonymousreply 475October 5, 2019 9:20 AM

I found myself wishing Daisy would fall into the boiler. Not the man, the boiler itself. What a little bitch. She's the Edith of downstairs.

by Anonymousreply 476October 5, 2019 11:42 AM

At around the 20:50 mark Allen says that in S3 Jessica Brown Findlay "came down with a case of bad contract negotiations", makes me wonder if there was more to the story of her departure and if they could have kept her. He also does really good Julian and Maggie impressions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 477October 5, 2019 3:18 PM

So Sybil asked for too much money? That’s good gossip!

by Anonymousreply 478October 5, 2019 6:09 PM

On another interview, I think it involved Elizabeth McGovern (Cora). McGovern said that Jessica Brown Findlay (Sybil) left because she had a really good agent. I could tell that McGovern was speaking in code. Unless there was something great that JBF moved on to right away right after DA.

by Anonymousreply 479October 5, 2019 6:47 PM

Jessica Brown Findlay's agent wasn't very good, because she didn't do much of note after DA.

by Anonymousreply 480October 5, 2019 7:06 PM

So has it now made enough money to deliver a sequel?

by Anonymousreply 481October 5, 2019 8:27 PM

R480 Jessica Brown Findlay did an awful post-modern feminist version of Daphne Du Mauriers 'Jamaica Inn' where all the actors mumbled in Cornish language and the sound of crashing waves and ambient noise made all the dialogue inaudible.

Jessica Brown Findlay isn't very good at elocution anyway —what with her Samoan heritage and all.

by Anonymousreply 482October 5, 2019 8:34 PM

I thought JBF was fired after that nude video of her leaked, where she begged her boyfriend to fart on her.

by Anonymousreply 483October 5, 2019 8:51 PM

r483

what????

by Anonymousreply 484October 5, 2019 11:36 PM

R484

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 485October 6, 2019 1:40 AM

Threatening legal action for any “mention” of the leaked photos? Good luck with that!

by Anonymousreply 486October 6, 2019 8:26 AM

R481 More than enough. But I wish they would do another series instead as a two hour film is simply not long enough to do all the characters justice.

by Anonymousreply 487October 6, 2019 9:22 AM

Downtown Abbey Worldwide box office after third weekend - $135 million.

Estimated production cost (not including marketing) is between $10 million and $20 million.

by Anonymousreply 488October 6, 2019 4:03 PM

I think the success of the movie warrants an SNL hosting by one of the stars, I nominate Allen Leech.

by Anonymousreply 489October 6, 2019 7:15 PM

All those actors must not have made *that* much money if the total budget was $10 to $20 million. Smart for them, though. They can keep on working on DA projects & keep on making more money.

by Anonymousreply 490October 6, 2019 8:31 PM

[quote]All those actors must not have made *that* much money if the total budget was $10 to $20 million. Smart for them, though. They can keep on working on DA projects & keep on making more money.

Depends. Time value of money. A dollar today is worth more than a dollar later - not purely an inflation-based statement.

If someone could get $1 million today or $350K each year for 3 years, you'd probably be better off taking the $1 million today. And the movies are going to come at most every two years.

by Anonymousreply 491October 6, 2019 8:36 PM

R489, agreed! Allan is a charmer. I don't think he was the handsomest of the hot men on the show, but in person he is really a delight to watch. He'd be perfect for SNL.

by Anonymousreply 492October 6, 2019 9:28 PM

Just by chance I started watching Cowboys and Angels and much to my delight and surprise it stars a 22 year old Allen Leech as a gay art student in Limerick, Ireland.

If you want to see how he looks kissing men, check it out.

by Anonymousreply 493October 7, 2019 3:34 AM

R493 I saw the film when it was first released and thought it was terrible. But if people are curious as to what Allen Leech looked like back then (basically a younger slimmer version of himself now) just check out the stills of the film on imdb.

by Anonymousreply 494October 7, 2019 5:59 AM

Matthew Goode's Henry Talbot character always seemed poorly conceived. It was like they knew they were ending the series after season 6 and they wanted Mary to be married off at the end of the series. So, they hired, Matthew Goode and sketched out d the Henry character, figuring Goode could pull off the task of talk of wooing Mary to the alter.

Goode is always a good actor, but he just didn't have any chemistry with Mary. I never bought the Mary would fall for a race car driver after Matthew was killed in a car crash.

And he was so unimportant to the series overall, he didn't even show up in the movie until it was 3/4 done. All his scenes just felt completely unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 495October 7, 2019 6:15 AM

The movie had a brief scenes in the backyard at the servant's entrance where Thomas had a cigarette in his hand. I don't recall that he actually took a drag off the cigarette in that scene.

Likewise, although Thomas smoked in the servants hall through the TV series, he didn't smoke indoors in the movie. Nor did he smoke in the gay bar.

I figured the movie smoking police got to the filmmakers, threatening a protest if they depicted smoking onscreen. That protest could have affected the film's box office take, so they capitulated.

However, as had been mentioned above, it would have been period appropriate for the film to be filled with smoking.

by Anonymousreply 496October 7, 2019 6:28 AM

Leech looked fat even in Cowboys and Angels. He’s cursed to be overweight.

by Anonymousreply 497October 7, 2019 6:29 AM

Cowboys and Angels still.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 498October 7, 2019 6:32 AM

Trailer for Cowboys and Angels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 499October 7, 2019 6:47 AM

R496, what smoking police? No one complained about the smoking on the tv show

by Anonymousreply 500October 7, 2019 3:52 PM

So, it's done a $135 M thus far and a sequel is confirmed... they won't make as much money next time because the actors will angle for more... just try making part two without Mrs. Patmore! Fans are hungry for more Bertie Pelham!

But something seems likely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 501October 7, 2019 6:32 PM

They can save money on the sequel by making Mary a widow again -- Henry falls victim to one of Dr. Clarkson's misdiagnoses. I'm sure they can find an actor who has twice the chemistry with MD at half the price of MG.

by Anonymousreply 502October 7, 2019 6:39 PM

Leech didn't look all that heavy in "Bohemian Rhapsody."

by Anonymousreply 503October 7, 2019 6:44 PM

R495 the big issue for me was all of Mary's post-Matthew boyfriends looked too similar to each other. I could never tell them apart. Seen at 9, 11 and 12:00 here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 504October 7, 2019 7:19 PM

I guess Lady Mary has a type lol

by Anonymousreply 505October 7, 2019 8:59 PM

I suspect the sequel will bring us a Lady Sybil cameo in the form of an angel coming to give Tom her blessing for him to remarry. Can you imagine the buzz a trailer of the movie with glimpses of JBF would cause?

I suspect this because all of a sudden Allen Leech is mentioning JBF's failed contract negotiations in a couple of recent interviews. For years after she left the line everyone associated with the show parroted was "she never wanted to do more than the standard 3 seasons" which was odd for someone with only one prior acting credit and a small one at that. I wonder if she demanded to be Matthew's love interest (thus leading lady) and was shown the door. Whatever the case, seems to me seeds are being planted.

by Anonymousreply 506October 7, 2019 9:22 PM

Did JBF's career suffer from that rimming video?

by Anonymousreply 507October 7, 2019 9:36 PM

[quote] they won't make as much money next time because the actors will angle for more.

Other than the old lady, these aren’t major stars, and some are just TV actors. It won’t be hard to bump off a character or two who gets greedy.

by Anonymousreply 508October 7, 2019 11:52 PM

"I guess Lady Mary has a type lol"

Or Julian Fellowes does....

by Anonymousreply 509October 8, 2019 1:51 AM

Looks like a sequel is all but a sure thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 510October 8, 2019 2:39 AM

If they give Maggie some great deathbed scenes with Cora, Edith, Wobert, Penelope Wilton, Mary and maybe Mosley, she could land a third Oscar. She might be swayed by great writing and the fact she can film her scenes while in bed!

by Anonymousreply 511October 8, 2019 11:04 AM

It's difficult filming deathbed scenes in bed.

The doctors say the patient should be lying prone to get maximum rest but the dramatist says the person about to die should be sitting upright emoting with their fellow actors.

by Anonymousreply 512October 8, 2019 11:17 AM

I did the greatest deathbed scene in film history and I was flat on my back. And I drew the line there. Absolutely won't do another one. Ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 513October 8, 2019 11:50 AM

Kevin Doyle said his Molesley curtsy was inspired by Theresa May's curtsy style, lol.

by Anonymousreply 514October 10, 2019 8:24 PM

A testament to the power of fraus.

by Anonymousreply 515October 10, 2019 8:37 PM

Julian really should give Laura Linney a cameo or small role in the sequel as a nod to the American audience and PBS.

by Anonymousreply 516October 13, 2019 6:04 PM

This family should have just moved to Downton House and focus on the appreciating asset known as their London residence. It's crazy to hang onto a 500 room palace with a family of 7 and income tax payments.

by Anonymousreply 517October 13, 2019 6:16 PM

It seemed to be written and produced for a wider, less sophisticated audience than PBS. Loved the series, but wasn’t impressed with the film...

by Anonymousreply 518October 13, 2019 6:28 PM

[quote]This family should have just moved to Downton House and focus on the appreciating asset known as their London residence. It's crazy to hang onto a 500 room palace with a family of 7 and income tax payments.

Except for the problem that the estate and lands were the primary source of their income. Selling Downton Abbey would only yield a one time lump sum that probably would not have carried them for too long.

by Anonymousreply 519October 13, 2019 7:03 PM

I'm still confused as to how Mr. Swire went from being so much in debt to Richard Carlisle that his daughter Lavinia had to steal some info from her uncle's office to satisfy the debt to just a few years later dying and leaving such a fortune it saved Downton. SMH.

by Anonymousreply 520October 13, 2019 7:08 PM

[quote]I'm still confused as to how Mr. Swire went from being so much in debt to Richard Carlisle that his daughter Lavinia had to steal some info from her uncle's office to satisfy the debt to just a few years later dying and leaving such a fortune it saved Downton. SMH.

Good catch. I had forgotten all about that little detail - as had apparently the writers on DA.

by Anonymousreply 521October 13, 2019 8:03 PM

There is only [italic]one[/italic]writer of Downton Abbey, and it is [italic]I[/italic], Lady Juliana Fellowes and what I say goes.

I am, after all, a graduate of the Michael Landon School of Television Drama, where you start out with a little house on the prairie and turn them all into nothing of the sort, with the occasional clown rapist thrown in to really mix it up.

by Anonymousreply 522October 13, 2019 9:24 PM

Can't they just have Lady Sybill come out of the shower in the next movie?

by Anonymousreply 523October 14, 2019 3:04 AM

R521 I was thinking the same. Or how Mrs. Patmore said her sister was dead in the first season and then her nephew is a coward and how upset her sister is going to be in subsequent seasons.

by Anonymousreply 524October 14, 2019 12:41 PM

R519 I believe it was called Downtown Place.

by Anonymousreply 525October 14, 2019 12:43 PM

r525 and it was still large. Their 21st Century relatives would have rejoiced as they focus millions of invested pounds on vacations and fun, rather than the spendthrift budgets required to maintain homes like Downton Abbey.

by Anonymousreply 526October 14, 2019 3:12 PM

r524 Mrs Pattmore could have had more than one sister.

by Anonymousreply 527October 14, 2019 10:10 PM

Saw it today.

Hot boiler man is HOT. And both of Barrow's gentleman callers were handsome, too.

Mostly entertained, but kind of thought it was weird to make such a fucking fuss over the food the king and queen ate.

Meanwhile, even though the final scenes with Violet and Mary had some bad soap opera dialogue....it still made me cry.

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 528October 15, 2019 3:13 AM

Are there no pictures of this unnamed allegedly hot boiler man?

by Anonymousreply 529October 15, 2019 5:57 AM

R529 He was played by James Cartwright.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 530October 15, 2019 12:04 PM

^ Thank you, sir

by Anonymousreply 531October 15, 2019 12:22 PM

Hard to depict without a bit of the movie clip, but suffice to say that Hot Plumber was a breath of fresh air....or a blast of cool water!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 532October 15, 2019 4:21 PM

Barrow potential suitor #1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 533October 15, 2019 9:00 PM

Barrow suitor #2 (and the cuter one)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 534October 15, 2019 9:01 PM

How long do we have to wait for an announcement that a sequel to the movie is in the works...as of 10/21/19 the film has made 164.7M worldwide, that's more than enough to warrant another one isn't it?

IMO sequel should not only feature Ghost Sybil paying Tom a visit but also Ghost Matthew visiting him the night before his wedding. Additionally, Sybbie should run away before the wedding because she's had her dad all to herself her entire life and doesn't want to share him with a stepmother. Henry Talbot needs to have met with an unfortunate accident and Lady Mary should be on the prowl again.

by Anonymousreply 535October 23, 2019 10:15 PM

[quote]Henry Talbot needs to have met with an unfortunate accident and Lady Mary should be on the prowl again.

Amen.

by Anonymousreply 536October 23, 2019 11:03 PM

It's the curse you being Mary Crawley. All the husbands die in car crashes.

by Anonymousreply 537October 23, 2019 11:46 PM

R535 The first scene in the sequel should be Maggie Smith licking stamps.

by Anonymousreply 538October 24, 2019 3:52 AM

I guess 'licking stamps' is an allusion to cunnilingus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539October 24, 2019 4:19 AM

My local PBS station reruns DA on Sunday afternoons, 12:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., it contributes highly to my lack of productivity on Sundays. S2 Christmas Special on right now, Richard Carlisle is complaining about the Servants having the day off (or lunch off) on Christmas Day. Isobel just explained to Violet that her gift to her is "a nutcracker, it's to crack your nuts".

Any word on a sequel yet? Come on Julian, don't play coy.

by Anonymousreply 540October 27, 2019 4:38 PM

One of my students today asked me if I like Downton Abbey (students always ask this question). But unlike other students, she was asking because she LOVED the movie and wants to watch the series.

by Anonymousreply 541November 14, 2019 10:38 PM

I'm still struck by how little promotion Rob James Collier did for the movie. He was at the London and U.S. red carpet premieres and that's it as far as I've seen. I haven't seen any clips of him doing chat shows there or talk shows here during the run up to the premiere. The bulk of the interviews were done by Allen/Michelle/Laura and Hugh with a sprinkling of Phyllis/Elizabeth/Sophie/Leslie. Allen/Laura/Michelle did that magazine spread.

Wonder if he's just busy doing that British tv series or if it's something more. During the run of the series Rob and Allen did lots of interviews and were very funny together.

by Anonymousreply 542November 16, 2019 7:20 PM

R542 I read an interview that he felt he was being typecast and that only roles as a gay character were being offered to him. He wanted to expand his range into other types of roles.

by Anonymousreply 543November 18, 2019 10:27 AM

He should be happy to be cast at all, never mind worrying about typecasting

by Anonymousreply 544November 19, 2019 2:58 AM

Rob James-Collier is still young enough to do leading man roles. He's a good actor. He was one of the downstairs main characters in every single season of DA (didn't jump ship like the actors who played Sybil and Matthew). He was good PR for the show (always cheerful in interviews). I think he's earned the right to branch out into different kinds of characters, or at least have the desire to do so.

by Anonymousreply 545November 19, 2019 7:02 AM

r544 is correct

by Anonymousreply 546November 19, 2019 4:33 PM

R545, Your analogy is faulty, since show jumpers Sybil and Matthew were "upstairs," unlike Thomas...

by Anonymousreply 547November 21, 2019 6:08 AM

Possible sequel to Downton Abbey movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 548November 28, 2019 5:22 AM

The movie sucked ass.

And not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 549November 28, 2019 5:54 AM

I loved the movie. True to the series and immensely satisfying.

by Anonymousreply 550November 28, 2019 6:32 AM

I actually liked the movie. It's pacing was good and everyone had a their 2-10 min of screen time. What a freaking pleasure Mr. Bates is when he doesn't have to watch his back from that dreadful murder storyline. Same for Anna. She is much more assertive, when she isn't crying every 5 min about her husband.

The dinner scene had me dying, such embarrassment. When I did that awkward bow...child, I had to stifle a howl.

Thankfully, this movie avoided the mistake of wasting the first 5-10 mins re-establishing who everyone is and how they are related. Obviously, the uniforms help, but I was happy to move right into the story.

Lady Edith (whatever her new upgraded name is) wore a blue dress to the dinner that was simply gorgeous. All of her clothes looked expensive, and I loved seeing her dripping in jewels. She really had a come up. I predict they still would have traveled with staff, if not to at least help her dress.

Daisy with her stink attitude (which I low key love) deserves to be single. But I'm in lust for the actor playing Andy, Michael Fox (left in the pic). But does anyone else miss the talk blond glass of milk that was in the first two seasons. The farmer's son that died. What a pity.

I think we've all had that moment of freedom and awh during out first trip to a gay bar. I'm glad they showed that scene. I know he would have been sack the minute he raised his voice to Lord Grantham and his daughter. Mary, was too rash. He told her why some items had to wait, since the palace wanted to micro-manage. Instead of directing him to proceed as normal, she just stabs him in the back.

Why did the Princess Royal marry that ancient grump? She didn't need money and peers were loyal to the crown by them so no political gain. Did she just like his estate? Lots of men from her generation died in WWI, but a princess can snag almost anyone if she isn't a raging bitch like Princess Margaret. They made Queen Mary to nice with all the smiling, but maybe she was pleasant while among the upper crust.

That hall boy, Albert (on the right, yes, I looked him up), was hot in the dinner jacket. No wonder Mr. Barrow hired his sexy little ass. If you must live in the closet, make sure the closet is full of attractive men. I would have been pregnant 3-weeks into that job, if i was one of the ladies working downstairs or at least perfected the art of a blowjob, after I teach them how to properly clean their stink sleeves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 551December 3, 2019 8:40 AM

(Lady) Mary!

by Anonymousreply 552December 3, 2019 10:05 AM

[quote]I thought the war of the servants was really a bit (actually a lot) of a sitcom distraction

This is exactly what I thought. It was like watching a slapstick sitcom. The whole thing was preposterous. And so contrary to character for most of them.

Speaking of, why were Penelope Wilton and Maggie Smith's roles written as such cunts to each other? They have both shown their softer side to each other. It was all about just having bitchy dialogue, not believable characters.

by Anonymousreply 553December 18, 2019 9:44 PM

R553 Old habits die hard, particularly in old bags. Also, they enjoying the sparring.

by Anonymousreply 554December 19, 2019 4:14 AM

Domestic $96,854,135 International $91,800,000 Worldwide $188,654,135

by Anonymousreply 555December 21, 2019 2:01 AM

r555 You do know that discussing money is distasteful to members of the aristocracy. Such a common thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 556December 21, 2019 4:05 AM

"Tell us how your film ends. It's not as if any of us are going to see it."

by Anonymousreply 557December 21, 2019 4:28 PM

Hi, all! Albert the Hall Boy here. (That’s me on the right at r551.)

Any questions?

by Anonymousreply 558December 21, 2019 6:17 PM

[quote] I thought the thieving seamstress was a strange plot too until I remembered there has always been this rumor that Queen Mary would just take anything she liked when visiting. This plot, although still strange, maybe was a way to reference that.

Anna said so when she implores the seamstress to admit to her crimes in order to spare her mistress, Her Royal Highness, the sordid gossip about being a thief.

I liked the movie. It's feel-good entertainment which, I think, some people underestimate in these rather depressing times.

by Anonymousreply 559December 30, 2019 8:07 PM

We got to fight

For our right

To ... serve our King & Queen's dinner!

by Anonymousreply 560December 30, 2019 9:31 PM

Tom was the "magic Irishman" in this movie. Thwarts the assassination plot, sets the princess right and will direct the aunt's inheritance back to the family after he marries the illegitimate daughter. Was all just a bit too much.

by Anonymousreply 561December 30, 2019 9:53 PM

Anyone get the Blu-ray? Are the extras any good?

by Anonymousreply 562December 30, 2019 10:52 PM

I really wish I didn’t see Gosford Park for the first time days after seeing Downton. It really turned me off to the movie. Still was a fun end to a good show.

Btw, I actually adored Elizabeth McGovern and her voice. Who wouldn’t want a warm mother like that. I know I’m in the extreme minority, but I wish she could have had a few of her own story lines. She was usually mixed into the other’s agendas.

by Anonymousreply 563December 31, 2019 5:55 PM

Every time this thread gets bumped i’m reminded how lame this movie was!!!

by Anonymousreply 564December 31, 2019 10:41 PM

I wish it had done the final $1,345,865.00 to hit $100 million gross.

by Anonymousreply 565January 1, 2020 5:17 PM

You can tell how pissed off everyone still is with the actor who played Matthew that they didn't ask him back to do flashbacks.

by Anonymousreply 566January 1, 2020 5:35 PM

I wonder if they will ask Jessica Brown Findlay to do flashbacks for the sequel so that ghost Sybil can give Branson her blessing to move forward etc.

by Anonymousreply 567January 1, 2020 5:44 PM

R567 lol no. Not after her rimming video leaked, apparently Dame Maggie and Penelope wanted her banned from the set for that filth.

by Anonymousreply 568January 1, 2020 6:16 PM

[quote] You can tell how pissed off everyone still is with the actor who played Matthew that they didn't ask him back to do flashbacks.

Has the show ever done flashback scenes?

by Anonymousreply 569January 1, 2020 6:49 PM

Never R569

by Anonymousreply 570January 1, 2020 7:06 PM

Never R569

by Anonymousreply 571January 1, 2020 7:06 PM

So r566 is talking out of his ass? Figures.

by Anonymousreply 572January 1, 2020 7:10 PM

And they would never have a visit from a ghost either, it would defy the entire tone.

by Anonymousreply 573January 1, 2020 7:17 PM

Actually, they did have a visit from a ghost, although you didn’t see it. The night Matthew proposed to Mary, the servants were in the kitchen playing with a Ouija board. They got a message, “May they be happy,” that they didn’t understand, presumably from Matthew’s deceased fiancé, Lavinia Swire.

by Anonymousreply 574January 2, 2020 7:33 AM

Deadline, 1-18-2020

[quote] Julian Fellowes To Start Working On ‘Downton Abbey’ Feature Film Sequel After Shooting ‘The Gilded Age’ Later This Year

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 575January 19, 2020 3:44 PM

I pray they make a 2nd movie, with more gay stuff of that hot butler who went to the gay bar....I love him

by Anonymousreply 576January 19, 2020 4:16 PM

See r534 and r576, I didn't like him for Barrow at all. He looks like a bad guy. It's all in his eyes. Barrow needs a gentler chap.

I also didn't like the gal they picked out for Tom the Former Driver. I much preferred the gal they teased for him in the series finale. Whatever happened to her?

by Anonymousreply 577January 19, 2020 6:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!