Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's Be The Wives Of Henry the 8th

Rock the Tudor House!

by Anonymousreply 77September 18, 2019 9:36 AM

OP - two of his wives' names were Katherine of Aragon and Anne of Cleves, I don't between Aragorn and Cleves were last names

by Anonymousreply 1August 21, 2019 1:58 PM

JUANA LA LOCA FTW

by Anonymousreply 2August 21, 2019 2:02 PM

Anne Berlin had six fingers...

by Anonymousreply 3August 21, 2019 2:07 PM

He owned the early me-too movement.

by Anonymousreply 4August 21, 2019 2:08 PM

[quote]OP - two of his wives' names were Katherine of Aragon and Anne of Cleves, I don't between Aragorn and Cleves were last names

I know that. I was just abbreviating to save room on the interwebs.

by Anonymousreply 5August 21, 2019 3:09 PM

Hands down Anne of Cleves. She played it smart and gave him the divorce he wanted. In the bargain, she got a nice manor house, servants, big income producing bank, and her head.

by Anonymousreply 6August 21, 2019 4:51 PM

Sadly Katherine Parr won nothing. She survived Henry but then she married a duplicitous man who was after her fortune (from previous marriages). Thomas Seymour, dashing brother of Jane. Katherine discovered him playing erotic games with Elizabeth Tudor (who was age 13). Elizabeth was packed off. Poor Katherine died of sepsis two weeks after giving birth.

Anne of Cleves was the real winner. Henry was grateful to her for accepting her new role as his "sister". He gifted her a grand house and a pension, which allowed her independence from her odious family and from control by a husband. She loved fine clothing, jewelry and hosting fabulous parties. She couldn't marry again, but didn't seem to care. Saved her from dying in childbirth.

by Anonymousreply 7August 21, 2019 5:26 PM

[quote]Katherine discovered him playing erotic games with Elizabeth Tudor (who was age 13).

She was a slut, a whoor, a strumpet who caused too many problems and should have been thrown in the Thames at birth.

by Anonymousreply 8August 21, 2019 8:24 PM

Yeah, Anne of Cleves came out the big winner. She just gave Henry an annulment when she wanted one, and he was SO grateful that he made her independently wealthy and a friend of the royal family for life. She was one of the few women in 16th century Europe able to live on her own terms (as long as she didn't want to remarry, and she didn't).

Of course Katherine of Aragon would have been well-advised to do the same, but I can see why she didn't. If she could block the divorce, then she had a 50/50 chance of outliving Henry and seeing her daughter crowned queen when he died. As it happened she predeceased Henry and that's a bet she would have lost, but I can't say she was stupid to try. If she'd just granted the divorce Henry would have put her on the first boat to Spain or locked her up in a convent, he hadn't learned to be grateful for an easy divorce in those days.

by Anonymousreply 9August 21, 2019 8:53 PM

But Katherine of Aragon brought her own "royalty" to the marriage. She had already been married to his brother and she came from some wealth.

by Anonymousreply 10August 21, 2019 9:07 PM

Katherine of Aragon was the youngest daughter of King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Castille who bank rolled Columbus' excursion to the "new world."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 21, 2019 9:25 PM

But R10, Katherine of Aragon had no money of her own, and her royal parents never financed her, she ran out of money when she was young and between husbands, and again when she was old and Henry had discarded her.

Yes, she was a princess royal and both a princess and a queen by marriage, but still financially dependent.

by Anonymousreply 12August 21, 2019 9:48 PM

Anne Boleyn, fiery minx Kathryn Howard, teenager in over her head

These two were related and the two who lost their heads. Boleyn's father and uncle set up getting Anne Boleyn to a position to marry good old Henry. Her sister had gone before as a mistress and I think had an illegitimate child with Henry. Anne learned that she needed to hold out. It didn't work out for her though. And her father and uncle were cowards and didn't support her at the end.

Katheryn Howard was foolish and young.

I read that Henry actually loved Jane Seymour. Who knows what would have happened if she had lived. And Katherine of Aragon was one tough cookie.

by Anonymousreply 13August 21, 2019 9:57 PM

I am the suppurating wound on Henry"s leg that never quite heals.

by Anonymousreply 14August 21, 2019 9:59 PM

I am Anne of Cleve's body odor, much lamented by Henry.

by Anonymousreply 15August 21, 2019 10:03 PM

LOL - Henry caught the distasteful look on Anne of Cleves' face while smelling HIM and then told everyone that her pussy stank! LMAO

by Anonymousreply 16August 21, 2019 10:05 PM

I am Anne Boleyn's numerous moles and birthmarks which caused many to suspect Anne was a witch.

by Anonymousreply 17August 21, 2019 10:05 PM

Catherine of Aragon was a pretty impressive character. She was the first official female diplomat in history when she officially represented Spain at the English court. She also ran the country in Henry's absence - not only just in name.

It's sad she's remembered as some kind of religious nutter - she was highly intelligent and it has been argued she had a better claim to the English throne than Henry himself through her lineage of John of Gaunt.

by Anonymousreply 18August 21, 2019 10:13 PM

I am the putrid stench emanating from Henry's doublet.

by Anonymousreply 19August 21, 2019 10:15 PM

And I am that putrid stench squared emanating from his cod piece.

by Anonymousreply 20August 21, 2019 11:06 PM

Spellcheck:

Catherine of Aragon

Anne Boleyn

Jane Seymour

Anne of Cleves

Catherine Howard

Catherine Parr

BTW, Catherin spelled with a K didn't become popular until the 20th century.

by Anonymousreply 21August 21, 2019 11:40 PM

I am the Groom of the Codpiece.

by Anonymousreply 22August 21, 2019 11:59 PM

All of the strange tales about Anne Boleyn (extra fingers, nipples etc) was propaganda spread by pro-Tudor factions.

Anne accompanied her father to the French court where she served as Lady in Waiting to Queen Claude. Anne was savvy, intelligent, multilingual and avoided being seduced by Francis I, unlike her sister Mary. She learned diplomacy and how to manage royals during her stay in France.

Anne died not die due to not giving birth to a male child or being unfaithful. At that time, the court was based on faction politics. The crafty Thomas Cromwell launched an anti Boleyn faction war and prevailed. Cromwell never forgave the Boleyns for being involved with the fall of his mentor, Bishop Wolsey, as well as other members of his faction.

There is no credible evidence that Anne was unfaithful. She championed the cause of the Reformation of the Catholic Church -a diseased and corrupt institution. Her greatest gift to England was her daughter - like her mother, intelligent, and a Protestant reformer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 22, 2019 12:01 AM

Poor Catherine/Katherine Parr. Regardless of the spelling of her name, she died a tragic death of postpartum sepsis after finding out her husband Thomas Seymour was plotting to marry Elizabeth Tudor. The future Elizabeth Regina was no fool and made her cause:

"In June 1548, Katherine wrote to Seymour, and asked Elizabeth to arrange a messenger to get the letter to him. Elizabeth wrote on the outside of the letter, in Latin, “Thou, touch me not”, then deleted it, and wrote instead, “Let him not touch me” – suggesting his advances were unwanted, but that she feared to speak too directly to him about it."

Seymour was arrested for treason for trying to marry Elizabeth and she successfully defended herself from involvement with his plot. He was executed and, well, Elizabeth went on to be crowned Queen of England, Ireland and France from 7 September 1533 – 24 March 1603.

by Anonymousreply 24August 22, 2019 12:10 AM

Yes, R46, most historians now say that Anne B. was totally innocent of the charges against her, she wasn't a witch, she wasn't deformed, and she wasn't unfaithful. But Henry was so fucking done with her and her failure to produce a male child that he was willing to railroad and judicially murder her.

Funny, nobody says that about Catherine Howard. As far as I know, she really was stupid enough to fuck around on Henry.

by Anonymousreply 25August 22, 2019 12:19 AM

I thought that Thomas Seymour was arrested and executed for treason because he tried to kidnap the young King Edward VI, arranging a marriage between the King and Lady Jane Grey.

by Anonymousreply 26August 22, 2019 12:38 AM

People act surprised that Henry chopped off the heads of two of his wives. Let's not forget, this guy told the pope to fuck off so he could divorce his first wife. England went from a Catholic nation to a Protestant one because Hank wanted to dip his wick in some new wax. Dude was not playing.

by Anonymousreply 27August 22, 2019 1:19 AM

The charges against Anne B were not just that she was unfaithful but that she was unfaithful with HER brother...

by Anonymousreply 28August 22, 2019 9:51 AM

Henry VII love JANE SEYMOUR? Wow - she looks GREAT for her age!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 22, 2019 9:58 AM

I was impressed with the depth of knowledge of English history from the earlier posters on this thread. Then, fools like R27 and R29 bring me back to the moronic reality of this place.

by Anonymousreply 30August 22, 2019 11:19 AM

I'm Lady Jane Gray, the six day queen. Yeah, I didn't fuck Henry but I did fuck up royally.

by Anonymousreply 31August 22, 2019 11:41 AM

I'm the inane and bizarrely popular musical SIX - coming to Broadway in 2020!

by Anonymousreply 32August 22, 2019 11:43 AM

Off-topic, but, before I watched "Wolf Hall" starring Mark Rylance I would have scrolled past this thread, but now I love reading this stuff.

by Anonymousreply 33August 22, 2019 11:47 AM

I’m Anne Boleyn. I lose my head, but I give England one of its most beloved monarchs in the person of my daughter, Elizabeth I. I’m also mentioned in a 90s Blues Traveler hit song.

by Anonymousreply 34August 22, 2019 11:51 AM

Henry and his two daughters were monsters on the level of Stalin. Like him they were building a new kind of country.

by Anonymousreply 35August 22, 2019 12:07 PM

I don't think Elizabeth was a monster R35. She led GB into its Golden Age.

by Anonymousreply 36August 22, 2019 10:43 PM

Henry went off to France leaving Katherine of Aragon as regent. He sent her the trophies of the Battle of the Spurs, an inconsequential victory; in return she sent him 'the shirt of a dead king', James IV of Scotland, killed at Flodden, making the usual mistake of Scottish kings, invading on the assumption no-one was left to defend England when the king was abroad. David II had done this in the 14th century and was defeated and captured by an army led by the archbishop of York.

by Anonymousreply 37August 22, 2019 11:03 PM

Elizabeth murdered Catholics during her reign.

by Anonymousreply 38August 23, 2019 12:45 AM

My neck hurts.

by Anonymousreply 39August 23, 2019 12:55 AM

Anne of Cleves really was the luckiest of the six. She didn't really have to sleep with Henry, kept her head, and got to live out her life in the lap of luxury and as one of the most prominent women in the kingdom as the "King's beloved sister."

by Anonymousreply 40August 23, 2019 1:00 AM

R40 You apparently are not reading the posts on this thread.

I posted this much earlier:

Anne of Cleves was the real winner. Henry was grateful to her for accepting her new role as his "sister". He gifted her a grand house and a pension, which allowed her independence from her odious family and from control by a husband. She loved fine clothing, jewelry and hosting fabulous parties. She couldn't marry again, but didn't seem to care. Saved her from dying in childbirth

by Anonymousreply 41August 23, 2019 1:49 AM

R41 Yes I was just adding my support for her, being the best off.

by Anonymousreply 42August 23, 2019 2:44 AM

[quote] Elizabeth murdered Catholics during her reign.

Mary murdered Protestants.

by Anonymousreply 43August 23, 2019 3:38 PM

Last wife Catherine Parr could have been just as lucky as Anne of Cleves, Henry undoubtedly left her money and castles and she could have lived as luxuriously and independently as Anne if she'd wanted to. Catherine had been widowed three times, and a lot of woman in her position would have just wanted some independence and peace of mind. It was hers for the asking.

But no, she had to marry a dirtbag who was after her young stepdaughter! Her first three marriages brought her no happiness, the fourth brought her abject misery.

by Anonymousreply 44August 23, 2019 10:12 PM

Anne Boleyn. Yes, she lost her head, but the Church of England exists because of HER. She is still known to this day, and she gave birth to the greatest monarch in English history.

by Anonymousreply 45August 24, 2019 3:21 AM

She was hardly the greatest monarch but you do you.

by Anonymousreply 46August 25, 2019 3:20 AM

Who would be greater?

by Anonymousreply 47August 25, 2019 3:28 AM

Surprisingly (as she’s one i’m less familiar with), I was most affected by the story of Catherine Howard in THE TUDORS.

Her story was really well presented, dramatically, and faultlessly played.

Really a girl in over her head....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 25, 2019 5:56 AM

Poor Catherine Howard was only 18 or19 when she was executed.

by Anonymousreply 49August 25, 2019 12:52 PM

Six Wives of Henry VIII is on today all three episodes starting at 3pm Eastern

by Anonymousreply 50August 25, 2019 5:49 PM

Oops! On PBS

by Anonymousreply 51August 25, 2019 7:47 PM

The one marriage I don't have a good understanding of was the Katherine Howard fiasco. Why the hell did Henry marry her, he just wanted a young piece of ass or a fresh womb? Or were there political concerns? Did she really fuck around behind his back like an idiot, or did he just want to get rid of her like he did Anne B?

Really, Henry was so fixated on breeding a son that the sensible thing to do at that point was marry a widow who'd proven herself fertile*. But no.... his narcissistic ego could bear that, even if he was old and fat and sick and impotent, he had to think of himself as the virgin-busting stud!

by Anonymousreply 52August 25, 2019 11:38 PM

That WHORE Anne Boleyn!

by Anonymousreply 53August 25, 2019 11:43 PM

It's CATHERINE, hussies!

Anyway, Catherine was supposedly very pretty, and quite the fun-loving gal, which probably appealed to the aging Henry. Oddly, she had quite the checkered sexual past, but it's Anne Boleyn who got labeled with the name whore

by Anonymousreply 54August 26, 2019 12:14 AM

Howard was already hoin' around before Henry got to her. Once a ho..... Once married, she had the gall to start fucking around with Thomas Culpepper with Henry still within the palace walls. Chick was BOLD!

by Anonymousreply 55August 26, 2019 12:41 AM

[quote]Chick was BOLD!

It was fun while it lasted.

by Anonymousreply 56August 26, 2019 4:30 AM

Gingers are always difficult to live with.

by Anonymousreply 57August 26, 2019 1:53 PM

Security guards at Hampton Court say Howard's ghost haunts the halls still begging Henry.

by Anonymousreply 58September 2, 2019 4:04 PM

The ghost of Jane Seymour has also been reported at Hampton Palace, along the Silverstick stairs that lead to the chamber where she died after childbirth.

by Anonymousreply 59September 2, 2019 4:17 PM

I saw a documentary which asserted that Katharine of Aragon had an eating disorder--she would go without eating for days while fasting and praying, and while this was admired as pious at the time, it probably affected her fertility in a major way.

If Henry had been a strategist, he would have married his daughter Mary off to a loyal retainer when she was still quite young and fertile. That way, he might have gotten grandsons even if he couldn't produce a son. Henry was so powerful--and the times so against female rulers--that it would have been easy enough for him to skip Mary in the line of succession and go straight to his grandson. Even if it caused him some trouble to get her to abdicate in favor of her son, it couldn't have been nearly as difficult as wrenching England away from the Catholic church. Mary was also born early enough in his reign that if he'd married her off young, he could have had an adult grandson (well, a 15- or 16-year-old, which WAS considered adult in that era) waiting in the wings when he was old and sick.

But Henry, though many things, was a shit strategist. It's why he had so few military victories during his reign. He was so obsessed with his own fertility that the grandson-insurance policy no doubt never occurred to him.

by Anonymousreply 60September 2, 2019 4:19 PM

I feel sorry for young Elizabeth. If you look at her clothing choices as Queen, they scream, Don't fucking touch me. And if her guardian was molesting her at a young age, no wonder she never wanted to marry.

by Anonymousreply 61September 2, 2019 5:03 PM

"He was so obsessed with his own fertility that the grandson-insurance policy no doubt never occurred to him. "

You're absolutely right, marrying Mary off and hoping she produced grandsons would have been sensible, and would also have been the right thing to do by his only legitimate daughter (at the time). By all accounts Mary really wanted to be married and have kids, and as things turned out she wasn't able to marry until she was 38 and unable to bear children.

I really wonder why Henry didn't marry her off, or give her the sort of top-flight education Elizabeth later received, or, well, do anything at all for her. He just sort of kept her around, doing nothing. Did he despise her? Was he angry at her for being a girl? Did he forget or discount her existence? Or was he afraid that a son-in-law or grandsons would have too much power for his taste, and start another War of the Roses?

by Anonymousreply 62September 3, 2019 3:29 AM

Henry tried several times to marry Mary off, but for one reason or another, they fell through. Then after Henry divorced her mother, Mary was declared illegitimate, so she wasn't a prime get on the marriage market. She also pissed off her father by refusing to acknowledge Anne Boleyn as the queen.

by Anonymousreply 63September 3, 2019 9:57 AM

Henry VIII was hard-core through and through. Above all else at all times he was first the King - before husband, father, friend. Talk of the wives he had killed is nothing compared to all the other people he murdered. He completely decimated the Catholic church and all the monasteries, taking all its wealth for himself. He destroyed all crosses and religious art depicting Christ, putting his own initials and coat of arms in their place - "no graven images."

by Anonymousreply 64September 3, 2019 11:22 AM

Also, there was the whole Catholic/Protestant issue. Henry was fine disowning Mary because it got him out of the tenets of the Catholic Church.

by Anonymousreply 65September 3, 2019 5:45 PM

I’d want to be Anne Boleyn. Yes there’s the whole beheading thing but life was short back then anyway. She’s still remembered as a legendary hard-hearted schemer who aimed for the moon and got it, for a while.

by Anonymousreply 66September 17, 2019 8:53 PM

R28 Anne was falsely accused of fucking 6 different men, including her brother.

R52 Howard was a teenage girl, with all the maturity lacking therein. She'd already had boyfriends before she caught Henry's eye and she foolishly fucked around on the king.

Jane Seymour was remembered well by the king because she did her duty by having a boy and she died before he could get bored of her. If she had had a girl, he would've dumped her eventually. The question is would she have been smart like Cleves.

by Anonymousreply 67September 17, 2019 9:11 PM

Poor Henry. His mother had seven children. Her mother had twelve. HER mother had fourteen. Family luck ran out. His sister Margaret was similarly unlucky. 6 babies by her first husband, one made it to adulthood.

by Anonymousreply 68September 17, 2019 9:21 PM

What about Edward? The world would be a very different place had he not died at age 15. He was betrothed to Mary of Scotland but would that marriage have gone through? Could he have dealt with Spain as well as Elizabeth had?

by Anonymousreply 69September 17, 2019 10:21 PM

Can't right now. I have a headache.

by Anonymousreply 70September 17, 2019 10:57 PM

Edward was under control of his Seymour uncles and was a sickly consumptive. Contrast him with Edward IV, who at 15 was riding out to battle against the Lannisters.

by Anonymousreply 71September 18, 2019 2:22 AM

There weren't any Lannisters in Medieval England, R71.

Who did you really mean?

by Anonymousreply 72September 18, 2019 4:28 AM

I assumed that was a joke, R72.

by Anonymousreply 73September 18, 2019 4:31 AM

There's no contemporary evidence that Edward VI was a long-time sickly consumptive, quite the reverse. He was healthy and active for most of his life. He just caught something in his early teens that contemporary medicine had no response to, possibly TB but bronchopneumonia .has also bee suggested. Both Seymour uncles were gone by the time he died. His so-called Journal shows him to be intelligent and very interested in most aspects of government. He was very interested in the coinage, for example, which his father's debasement policies had left in a bad state.

by Anonymousreply 74September 18, 2019 8:51 AM

[But [R10], Katherine of Aragon had no money of her own, and her royal parents never financed her, she ran out of money when she was young and between husbands, and again when she was old and Henry had discarded her.Yes, she was a princess royal and both a princess and a queen by marriage, but still financially dependent.

Will you fuck off back to spazzing about Meghan Markle, silly frau at R12 who pretends she's some sort of insider?

K of A had a huge dowry, for a start, funded by her parents.

by Anonymousreply 75September 18, 2019 9:00 AM

The dowry went to the husband who in return assigned land and income as dower to the queen, which in England normally made her equal in wealth to the richest peers. I once read an interesting article about how the Yorkist and early Tudor queens ran their estates. After the 'divorce' Henry did assign Katherine of Aragon property and income theoretically due to her as 'dowager princess of Wales', though probably not as much as she was really due by the terms of the original marriage contract with Prince Arthur.

by Anonymousreply 76September 18, 2019 9:31 AM

We are all of them!

by Anonymousreply 77September 18, 2019 9:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!