Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Were Warhol and Basquiat lovers?

Come on, they were lovers, right?

by Anonymousreply 40November 16, 2019 11:54 PM

Well?

by Anonymousreply 1August 21, 2019 10:25 AM

Nope

by Anonymousreply 2August 21, 2019 10:58 AM

No. AW seemed to me a voyeur, but sexually impotent. If anyone received his attentions it was likely lil Joe.

by Anonymousreply 3August 21, 2019 11:05 AM

Aspergers right and drugs?

by Anonymousreply 4August 21, 2019 11:07 AM

But it's been said that Andy's asexual image was not reality.

by Anonymousreply 5August 21, 2019 7:37 PM

I can’t imagine anyone wanting to sleep with Andy.

by Anonymousreply 6August 21, 2019 7:39 PM

I read the barely-able-to-get-through-it Andy Warhol Diaries. In the end I'm glad I read it, but boy was it boring in some sections.

Based on that book, it does seem that Andy was non-sexual. I won't say asexual because he was very gay and very attracted to beautiful men, but it doesn't sound like he was comfortable with his body and didn't want people to see himself naked. I think it rendered him basically impotent. Psychologically impotent, not physically impotent.

by Anonymousreply 7August 21, 2019 7:57 PM

People way less attractive and weirder than Andy get laid every day.

by Anonymousreply 8August 21, 2019 7:58 PM

Andy liked to watch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 21, 2019 8:08 PM

Warhol was sexually obsessive and "fell in love" with men who were emotionally unavailable or men who just thought he was gross.

Warhol was fixated on those fake "Dupont" twins and was hanging around with "Victor Hugo", Halstons' pervy boyfriend.

I never met or heard of anybody that actually fucked him.

by Anonymousreply 10August 21, 2019 9:37 PM

R8. Yes but AW only likes beautiful people. I don’t think he would even consider someone he finds unattractive. I don’t think he’s into rent boys.

by Anonymousreply 11August 21, 2019 9:44 PM

“Everybody has a different idea of love. One girl I know said, "I knew he loved me when he didn't come in my mouth. ”

by Anonymousreply 12August 21, 2019 9:52 PM

AW certainly did have an eye.

by Anonymousreply 13August 21, 2019 9:59 PM

[quote] I read the barely-able-to-get-through-it Andy Warhol Diaries.

I found the book totally fascinating and a great read back in the early 90s when I first read it. Granted, no internet at the time meant no access to the celebrity rumors we have these days so his reporting about the celeb world seemed so fresh and new for a guy under 20 I was at the time.

by Anonymousreply 14August 21, 2019 10:00 PM

You can't convince me Andy and Jean Michel weren't fucking and sucking each other.

by Anonymousreply 15August 23, 2019 12:51 PM

Andy was in a relationship with a handsome young man named Jed who was part of a set of fraternal twins who hung around the studio. Jed became a talented interior designer, doing Andy's house and eventually started his own firm. He eventually left Andy when he became involved with an architect, and Andy took it badly. Jed was on the TWA flight to Paris that crashed in the '90s. Whether the two ever actually had sex or not, who can say.

by Anonymousreply 16August 23, 2019 12:57 PM

I believe Basquiat and Madonna were lovers.

by Anonymousreply 17August 23, 2019 1:01 PM

r11 AW is dead.

by Anonymousreply 18August 23, 2019 1:02 PM

R7 you are an absolute idiot if really thought the Warhol diaries were “boring” in places.

by Anonymousreply 19August 23, 2019 1:07 PM

What about Joe from Flesh?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 23, 2019 1:16 PM

R19, I did. I thought it was boring in some places.

Did you think it was riveting, from start to finish? That every turn of word had you on the edge of your seat, clutching your pearls?

I thought it was boring in some places.

by Anonymousreply 21August 26, 2019 7:18 PM

The Diaries is a fascinating book. Yes, it's long and probably not meant to be read steadily through. AW comes across as a deeper and more genuine person than the image that he projected in his public statements. (e.g. he was very generous, and his comments in the book on art are a lot more knowing than AW let on in his public persona). I've been meaning to re-read it for years now, maybe this will inspire me. It used to be available in a nice, silvery, *thick* paperback. The hardcover I read was square like an old LP and probably weighed 10 pounds. The book is also very funny - I esp. remember Warhol and his employees' remarks when Studio 54 was raided by the FBI and they found that secret room stuffed with cash. His dealings with the habitually wasted Truman Capote are also funny.

by Anonymousreply 22August 26, 2019 7:35 PM

Ok, but did Andy and Jean fuck or what?

by Anonymousreply 23August 26, 2019 10:18 PM

No, they didn't.

by Anonymousreply 24August 26, 2019 10:41 PM

Yes, they did.

by Anonymousreply 25August 26, 2019 10:52 PM

[quote]I believe Basquiat and Madonna were lovers.

They were. Courtney Love's "Big Pink" character from the movie "Basquiat" is based on Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 26August 26, 2019 11:04 PM

It is doubtful that they were. Andy was gay, not asexual but apparently mostly a voyeur. Andy also would want a hustler or male model, to be a boyfriend or exclusive just to him, and then would get mad when that obviously did not happen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 15, 2019 6:36 PM

Jed Johnson (on the left of photo with his twin Jay) and Andy lived together for 12 years and people considered them "a couple". However that doesn't mean they had a physical relationship. Jed eventually "left" Andy for Alan Wanzenberg, a well known designer in NY whose work is still frequently featured in Architectural Digest. Jay Johnson wrote a book about he and his brother in 2005.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 15, 2019 8:19 PM

Basquiat did date Madonna and he also slept regularly with Klaus Nomi, infecting the poor German singer repeatedly with gonorrhea. (Which also suggests that Basquiat either had AIDS or was one of the naturally immune, as Nomi was an early victim of the plague.)

He saw Warhol as a father figure, which meant Basquiat projected his own serious daddy issues onto Warhol. After their show of collaborative paintings failed to catch fire with the public and critics, Basquiat blamed Warhol and dropped him cold. Interestingly, Warhol's sudden death in 1987 so upset Basquiat that it contributed to the drug spiral which killed him in 1988.

If you've never read Phoebe Hoban's Basquiat: A Quick Killing in Art, I highly recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 29November 15, 2019 9:13 PM

Warhola was just a blip in US Art's 'Dark Age".

He is not worth remembering.

by Anonymousreply 30November 15, 2019 9:19 PM

r29 If you repeatedly get the clap from fucking the same person, you deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 31November 16, 2019 6:42 AM

Apparently it wasn't the clap that bothered him so much as the fact that Basquiat wouldn't help him pay the medical bills to get treated. I'm sure when he was dying of AIDS, Basquiat was nowhere to be found, either. He had a habit of deserting people.

by Anonymousreply 32November 16, 2019 4:50 PM

I’ve always wondered if Basquiat was positive when he died. He was a heroin addict, after all. And Warhol could have been positive, too, contributing to his rapid decline after surgery. I was so shocked when I heard of his death.

I don’t think they had sex, but they sure as hell used each other. Not a healthy relationship.

by Anonymousreply 33November 16, 2019 7:53 PM

Basquiat was a bisexual heroin addict living in NYC in the late 70s and early 80s. There is no way he wasn't poz unless he was part of the tiny minority who is naturally immune to HIV.

by Anonymousreply 34November 16, 2019 8:09 PM

Robert Rauschenberg had flings with Cy Twombly and Jasper Johns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 16, 2019 8:19 PM

[quote] You can't convince me Andy and Jean Michel weren't fucking and sucking each other.

Then why the fuck did you bother asking at the OP?

by Anonymousreply 36November 16, 2019 8:25 PM

In the diaries, Andy talks constantly about how turned off he was by Basquiat's BO.

I also don't think Andy was much interested in the beauty of black guys. He seemed fully into beautiful white boys.

by Anonymousreply 37November 16, 2019 8:26 PM

The original edition of the hardback fell apart from so much use, and it's not here for me to reference. Talking of Andy's loathing his own body, and the very strong possibility that he loathed himself... he was at a book signing in, I think, Connecticut, and a young lady who'd been waiting in line for him to sign her book grabbed his wig and ran off with it. This happened around a year? Two years? Before he died.

Andy just put the hood of his parka up and continued to sign the books. He asked that no action be taken against the lady who stole his wig, and he got it back. I've always thought the shock and embarrassment of that triggered his loss of the will to live. It seemed [from the diaries that Pat Hackett chose to share with the great unwashed] like he slowly checked out after that.

The diaries contain massive information. Out of all that data, the incident with the wig I has never diminished for me; it was so unnecessary and cruel.

by Anonymousreply 38November 16, 2019 8:53 PM

Ultra Violet has this weird story in her book about trying to come on to Andy one night (boy, was she barking up the wrong tree!) and when she ran her fingers through his fair she found out not only was it a wig (another unbelievable mistake) but that he had a metal snap affixed onto his skull to keep it in place.

by Anonymousreply 39November 16, 2019 9:11 PM

^ a creature like that is hardly a reliable source of gossip.

by Anonymousreply 40November 16, 2019 11:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!