Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cancun

So I enjoyed a free all-inclusive resort stay in Jamaica a couple years ago so I thought I'd try something like that again for my 45th birthday. I'm going by myself to Cancun this weekend for three nights. All-inclusive again. I hardly ever drink in real life but I loved the Pina Coladas at the Swim Up Bar in Jamaica so I'm looking forward to doing that again. Then to the piano bar to sing. Really looking forward to it. What are your thoughts on Cancun and such vacations?

by Anonymousreply 46August 30, 2019 7:50 PM

Steven Slater would give Mexican resorts a thumbs down if he still had thumbs.

by Anonymousreply 1August 21, 2019 4:16 AM

In Cancun all seems to breathe freedom and peace, and to make one forget the world and its sad turmoils.

by Anonymousreply 2August 21, 2019 4:19 AM

OP, do yourself a favor and buy a huge bottle of top shelf vodka (or whatever) duty-free on the way down. The inclusive alcohol is firewater. It’s a tiny added expense and you’ll appreciate it. You can also invite others over for a quality drink, too, which can make you popular.

by Anonymousreply 3August 21, 2019 4:35 AM

And if you are looking for cock go cruising downtown at the Parque de las Palapas. You will not regret it unless you are a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 4August 21, 2019 5:28 AM

Cancun is much better than the disappointingly antigay Jamaica. Better food, equally beautiful beaches, closer to Mayan ruins. Just better all around.

by Anonymousreply 5August 21, 2019 5:32 AM

Oh, yeah, you must see the ruins!

by Anonymousreply 6August 21, 2019 5:34 AM

Looks skeezy and too touristy. Is it just 4months of college kids and then nothing?

by Anonymousreply 7August 21, 2019 5:40 AM

Why not go to Atlantis?

by Anonymousreply 8August 21, 2019 5:52 AM

Op, Cancun is fun. You'll have a great time.

by Anonymousreply 9August 21, 2019 7:19 PM

Cancun is my idea of hell.

by Anonymousreply 10August 21, 2019 8:11 PM

I have heard nothing but good about Cancan resorts. Nothing but by about the DR.

by Anonymousreply 11August 21, 2019 8:15 PM

[quote]I have heard nothing but good about Cancan resorts.

Aren't the Cancan resorts in France?

by Anonymousreply 12August 21, 2019 8:22 PM

All inclusive resorts in Latin America are serving counterfeit alcohol, which is killing people. You cannot tell by the bottle or the taste either. I thought cancun is where to irritating frat boys types go?

by Anonymousreply 13August 21, 2019 8:33 PM

Isn't there a state dept travel advisory warning stating americans not go there because gang turf wars. They were liiterally murdering each other on the sand in front of the resorts.

by Anonymousreply 14August 21, 2019 8:34 PM

The beach in Cancun is one of my all-time favorites. It can be touristy and too centered on nightlife, but the people are lovely and you can dine quite well.

by Anonymousreply 15August 21, 2019 8:50 PM

I got the flaming shits in Cancun. Or maybe it was Mazatlan. I thought my hiney-hole was going to fall off. Just don't eat or drink anything and you should be fine. Although I wouldn't guarantee it.

by Anonymousreply 16August 21, 2019 8:58 PM

Shame on you for having gone to Jamaica.

by Anonymousreply 17August 21, 2019 8:59 PM

[quote] irritating frat boys

redundant

by Anonymousreply 18August 21, 2019 8:59 PM

If you liked Jamaica you'll love Cancun. Both suck IMO but Jamaica sucks much more and Cancun is a lot more civilized, the people are nicer and the beaches are better.

by Anonymousreply 19August 21, 2019 9:07 PM

The Cancun area is touristy, but there's a good reason for it. It offers more than just pristine beaches -- close access to amazing Mayan ruins and excellent food. Just stay away from the spring breakers and party hostel crowd -- there are more than enough upscale, quieter places that cater to more mature and introverted tastes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 22, 2019 12:39 AM

Cancun also has a number of listings on MisterBandB if you want to stay there and support gay business, or connect with gay locals.

by Anonymousreply 21August 22, 2019 12:57 AM

Exercise increased caution in Mexico due to crime and kidnapping. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.

Violent crime, such as homicide, kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery, is widespread.

The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in many areas of Mexico as travel by U.S. government employees to these areas is prohibited or significantly restricted.

U.S. government employees may not travel between cities after dark, may not hail taxis on the street, and must rely on dispatched vehicles, including from app-based services like Uber, or those from regulated taxi stands. U.S. government employees may not drive from the U.S.-Mexico border to or from the interior parts of Mexico with the exception of daytime travel within Baja California, and between Nogales and Hermosillo on Mexican Federal Highway 15D.

BUT

There are no restrictions on travel for U.S. government employees in Quintana Roo state, which include tourist areas in: Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, and the Riviera Maya.

Bottom line: Any American who goes to Mexico is nuts. It's a country of Russian Roulette.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 22, 2019 3:42 AM

And yet millions of people visit Cancun every year without managing to be kidnapped, sequestered, shot, etc...

by Anonymousreply 23August 22, 2019 7:15 PM

Or we can all stay in the USA and be a victim of a mass shooting.

by Anonymousreply 24August 22, 2019 7:18 PM

Cancun displaced Acapulco as the hot tourist attraction at the beginning of the 70s. Her days on top died in the late 80s when Puerto Vallarta rose to power.

Now, nobody has any use for them.

by Anonymousreply 25August 22, 2019 7:33 PM

What am I -- chopped liver?

by Anonymousreply 26August 22, 2019 11:53 PM

r26 yes

by Anonymousreply 27August 23, 2019 12:16 AM

My favorite place used to be the charming fishing village of Zihuatanejo, which is close to Ixtapa. It has been too dangerous to go there over the past decade due to drug wars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 23, 2019 2:14 AM

"There's a lovely Mexico exhibit at Epcot, OP. Why don't you just go there?"

by Anonymousreply 29August 23, 2019 2:23 AM

Mexico in August is hellishly hot and humid. If you liked Jamaica, then Cancun will probably feel like paradise. It has no appeal for me - I'm a die-hard PV guy.

Didn't like Cabo either.

by Anonymousreply 30August 23, 2019 2:28 AM

But if the OP is coming from anywhere on the East Coast or South, R30, Mexico will be no hotter or more hellish and there are beaches.

by Anonymousreply 31August 23, 2019 11:03 AM

I spent four nights at Secrets the Vine in Cancun in July 2019. It was my first time in Cancun as well as lodging at an inclusive resort. We stayed in the hotel zone and almost entirely within the resort property for the duration of our stay and we enjoyed the non-forced sequestration. The food was fine and varied, the drinks were watered down but unending if that is what one wanted, and the service was warm and prompt. Staying at an adults-only resort was clearly the way to go: the guests were mostly couples and their level of politeness was admirable. It was four quiet days of everyone smiling. You wanted for nothing and there's nothing you have to do other than relax. This is not the kind of vacation I would have taken previously, but I would consider doing it again as I experienced a fair amount of stress relief and general happiness which carried over on my return.

When you nearing are exiting the airport in Cancun to ground transportation, there are many people who appear to be something like Travelers Aid. They are not: they are salespeople for time shares. There was a brief pitch at our property for a time share tour, which we declined. That being said, I met guests at the resort who returned more than annually to the same property as they liked it so much.

by Anonymousreply 32August 23, 2019 12:13 PM

Go somewhere more ecologically responsible. Mayakoba, for example.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 23, 2019 3:47 PM

Where did Aaron Schrock go? Where he grabbed that strippers dick?>

by Anonymousreply 34August 23, 2019 6:54 PM

You are suppose to eat and drink only in the resort. That is the whole point of going to a resort. The resort wants you to have fun, not get sick.

I have heard only good...

by Anonymousreply 35August 23, 2019 9:18 PM

Well it’s my last night and it’s been great. The food has been terrific. Best Mexican food I’ve ever had. Makes sense, right? I’m gonna take a nap and then hangout at the swim up bar. I’ve not been kidnapped yet.

by Anonymousreply 36August 26, 2019 11:44 PM

I was a bit south of Cancun for a wedding at the end of June. Stayed at an AirBnB condo near the cute town of Puerto Morelos. I felt 100% safe there. Had a rental car and drive into town for meals and to Mayan ruins. Didn’t spend any time in Cancun proper. The whole area is terribly over developed. That said get off the resort property. That kind of insular stay is so depressing. Warning: there has been a huge sargassum seaweed bloom for several months which means all the beaches are covered in inches and inches of seaweed every day that gets raked off and piled nearby to rot. Some terrible smells and cloudy water.

by Anonymousreply 37August 27, 2019 12:15 AM

[quote] I’ve not been kidnapped yet.

HISSSSSSSS!!!! You were just lucky OP!!!! I bet they'll try and poison your Dr. Pepper tonight as sell you as a sex slave to a Saudi Arabian shiek!! Please be careful!!! HISSSSSSSS!!!

--Mincington P. Prisspot ("It's pronounced "Priss-PO" It's a French name!), Chairman, Maiden Aunt Brigade

by Anonymousreply 38August 27, 2019 12:20 AM

I like the Cancun Ritz Carlton now that they've renovated the rooms. It's safe and you never have to leave during your stay. Wish they'd get rid of tiny toiletries, however.

Also, their cabanas don't provide enough privacy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 27, 2019 2:00 AM

What kind of toiletries would you prefer r39?

by Anonymousreply 40August 27, 2019 8:47 AM

r40 giant fucking toiletries thank you. Like a bar a soap the size of a twin bed!

by Anonymousreply 41August 27, 2019 1:47 PM

R40. I like the Asprey toiletries, but I prefer this kind of arrangement. And no gucky soap bars, even for the sink.

Some unscented stuff is also welcome.

I don't like squeezing out from a tiny tube. Or worse, those tiny bottles where the stuff just pours out, very slowly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 27, 2019 6:31 PM

The Ritz Carlton in Cancun is worn AF. Owners are too cheap and shortsighted to renovate and maintain. Ugly front sign, too. Holy fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 28, 2019 7:20 AM

any good dick in Cancun?

by Anonymousreply 44August 29, 2019 6:43 PM

Go down to the bar when the married guys' money grubbing wives are asleep.

by Anonymousreply 45August 29, 2019 6:52 PM

If I wanted straight guy dick I would use Grindr. I want giant pinga and hot latin men to eat my culo and call me papi.

by Anonymousreply 46August 30, 2019 7:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!