Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Samantha Eggar

She was beautiful and had lots of potential in the 1960s and early 70s, what the hell happened, she aged fast and lost her looks by the late 1970s and went on to make some crappy horror movies. Was she an alcoholic. Does anyone have more information about her?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 2, 2019 2:54 AM

She married Sam Elliott and has a cameo in "Donnie Darko".

by Anonymousreply 1August 21, 2019 1:05 AM

I thought killed herself.

by Anonymousreply 2August 21, 2019 1:09 AM

I get her confused with Inger Stevens.

by Anonymousreply 3August 21, 2019 1:10 AM

No. Inger sued Zsa Zsa and won.

by Anonymousreply 4August 21, 2019 1:11 AM

R1- That is Katharine Ross.

by Anonymousreply 5August 21, 2019 1:15 AM

Here’s Samantha at Stacy Keach's Walk of Fame star event 2 weeks ago, with Juliet Mills and Maxwell Caulfield. Of this line-up, I’d say she’s the best preserved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 21, 2019 1:15 AM

R6 In this photo, Samantha looks better than she did 40 years ago!

by Anonymousreply 7August 21, 2019 1:17 AM

God Maxwell Caulfield was so hot.

by Anonymousreply 8August 21, 2019 1:18 AM

Funny how Max and Juliet have... met in the middle.

by Anonymousreply 9August 21, 2019 1:21 AM

He's kept his body quite trim.

by Anonymousreply 10August 21, 2019 1:22 AM

Get a grip, R1. It was Katharine Ross who married Sam Elliott.

by Anonymousreply 11August 21, 2019 1:22 AM

OP that image looks like it's from David Cronenberg's The Brood, which IMO was pretty good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 21, 2019 1:25 AM

Her eyes are green, her hair was auburn, and her dress was vivid red!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 21, 2019 1:32 AM

She wasn't a drunk. Just a Brit.

by Anonymousreply 14August 21, 2019 1:35 AM

According to IMDB:

In 1966 she rented what would later become known the infamous 'Sharon Tate' house on Cielo Drive.

by Anonymousreply 15August 21, 2019 1:44 AM

Rather unexpectedly, she dated Kissinger after her divorce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 21, 2019 2:06 AM

She still looked good at that time R16

by Anonymousreply 17August 21, 2019 2:11 AM

Too bad Kissinger didn't.

by Anonymousreply 18August 21, 2019 3:09 AM

A fantastic actress who is not as famous as she should be. She started out in theater in London and was directed by Tony Richardson in her early career IIRC. She was excellent in "The Collector" playing a captive to a looney Terence Stamp, and equally great in "The Brood," which I think is Cronenberg's best movie (sorry, "Videodrome" lovers). She also played an actress in the low-budget '80s slasher "Curtains" which happens to be another favorite of mine.

If I recall correctly, my impression was that she got caught up in the Canadian film industry in the '70s and '80s, as she was a British export, and Canada was employing a lot of those people in their films. The problem, however, was that many of these films were tax shelter flicks or low budget, so many of them weren't great and didn't exactly bring much exposure to talent.

by Anonymousreply 19August 21, 2019 3:20 AM

R19 "A fantastic actress who is not as famous as she should be."

Totally Agree.

by Anonymousreply 20August 21, 2019 3:57 AM

huyyyy

by Anonymousreply 21August 21, 2019 4:00 AM

I was transfixed by The Collector back in the 60s. It had a magical music score by Maurice Jarre and William Wyler's always-tasteful direction.

But this woman made no impression on me. She was just another Julie-Christie-clone. I know she got Dr Dolittle because Julie Andrews didn't want to do it.

She seemed to disappear quite quickly. Such an awful name; I would have changed it.

by Anonymousreply 22August 21, 2019 4:25 AM

"Samantha Eggar" sure as hell is a step up from "Victoria Louise Samantha Marie Elizabeth Therese Eggar" (yes, that is her actual birth name).

by Anonymousreply 23August 21, 2019 4:32 AM

This woman was nondescript.

There were so many nondescript women around in those days. Nicole Maurey, Barbara Murray Anne Crawford, Piper Laurie, Belinda Lee, Dana Wynter, Shirley Eaton, Hope Lange, Janette Scott were all throughly nondescript.

They couldn't sing, dance, act or crack or joke. There were merely one-dimensional, anodyne, pale, passive prizes for the hero to take.

by Anonymousreply 24August 21, 2019 4:59 AM

Shirley Eaton wasn't even allowed to speak with her own voice in GOLDFINGER. And she was English!

by Anonymousreply 25August 21, 2019 5:05 AM

She was in this movie which one reviewer on IMDB describes as an 'overcooked potboiler'.

There was a bathroom murder scene where she may (or many not) have exposed her tiny lemon-shaped breasts. I don't remember, I was too busy fixating on the handsome Maximilian Schell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 21, 2019 6:01 AM

Fired after the Falcon Crest pilot and replaced by Susan Sullivan.

And Jane Wyman's brown wig.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 21, 2019 6:17 AM

R6 Who's that fat man next to her?

by Anonymousreply 28August 21, 2019 6:22 AM

Wow, never knew she was the original Maggie.

To me, growing up in the '70s and '80s, she was just somebody who turned up on Love Boat and Fantasy Island now and then. I assumed she had been famous a long time ago, as she seemed pretty old to me.

by Anonymousreply 29August 21, 2019 9:35 AM

Interesting two-part interview done five years ago, touches on all aspects of her long career.

[quote] No. I have no regrets. Never had a regret about anything. But I certainly have no regrets about the path I took. Mind you, my agent wanted to kill me at times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 21, 2019 10:03 AM

^ That's an informative interview; she sounds sensible while admitting she's appeared in a lot of trash.

by Anonymousreply 31August 21, 2019 1:23 PM

I think the other man in the photo is Barry Primus.

by Anonymousreply 32August 21, 2019 4:23 PM

R30 Thanks for sharing!

by Anonymousreply 33August 21, 2019 5:14 PM

R30 That interview said a lot of her bad movie choices were because of her children's schooling (but I don't think she mentioned a husband).

All the clips reminded me that Eggar had big hair and a button-up nose like Diana Rigg. But she never struck me as intelligent the way Rigg does.

And she never struck me as virtuous in her roles like Jean Simmons or Julie Andrews did —nor as slutty as Julie Christie was (she commenced her career as a British version of Brigitte Bardot).

by Anonymousreply 34August 22, 2019 3:21 AM

It sounds like we've exhausted all that needs to be said about this woman.

She didn't have multiple husbands; she wasn't rude to her fellows; there was no sex-scandal; and she didn't appear in many big big-earning movies.

by Anonymousreply 35August 23, 2019 1:39 AM

Do we believe that Linda Thorson lied about the mink coat?

by Anonymousreply 36August 23, 2019 1:45 AM

Not the mink coat! ? !

by Anonymousreply 37August 23, 2019 1:50 AM

She was more interesting than Dana Wynter, who was a definite b/c-lister, lucky to do television (and she did a lot of it, including drek like "Love Boat"). Hope Lange was a decent actress, but an ensemble player, not someone who could carry a film. Eggar was a presence and a decent actress, but, again, not someone who could carry a film.

by Anonymousreply 38August 23, 2019 2:31 AM

She actually beat Julie Christie for the golden globe in 1966. Christie won the Oscar, and Eggar didn’t even show up for the Oscars that year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 23, 2019 2:46 AM

Dana Wynter starred in the iconic film Invasion of the Body Snatchers R38. She definitely had a more lustrous career than Samantha.

by Anonymousreply 40August 23, 2019 4:01 AM

Dana Wynter is hardly known for her turn in Invasion of the Body Snatchers even. Eggar, though not a major name, appeared in a wider range of movies, some of which have reached classic or cult classic status (Mary Poppins, The Brood, Walk Don't Run, The Collector). She also won the Cannes award for Best Actress for The Collector, in addition to getting the Golden Globe and the Oscar nom. Wynter was a television actress for the majority of her career.

by Anonymousreply 41August 23, 2019 4:58 AM

I don't think Eggar was in "Mary Poppins".

by Anonymousreply 42August 23, 2019 5:00 AM

You are correct R42, I meant Dr. Doolittle; not sure how the wires got crossed on that one

by Anonymousreply 43August 23, 2019 5:02 AM

Wonky eye

by Anonymousreply 44August 23, 2019 5:21 AM

Her wonky eyes aren't as wonky as the lovely Diana Wynyard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 23, 2019 5:43 AM

R38 You say the right thing about her not being able to "carry a film".

Eggar never got top billing, AFAIK. She always had someone else to 'carry the film'.

by Anonymousreply 46August 23, 2019 11:29 PM

Body Snatchers was an iconic film but it was not exactly a career builder. Kevin McCarthy (a better actor than Wynter) wasn't exactly launched into the big leagues, either.

by Anonymousreply 47August 24, 2019 2:58 AM

She was one of the finalists for the role of Sable Colby on the Dynasty spin-off.

by Anonymousreply 48August 24, 2019 3:10 AM

I don't want to go off-topic but I heard some rumour that Kevin McCarthy was involved in secret sex with Monty Clift.

But, back on-topic, it seems Samantha Eggar's lacklustre career was involved with her family and wanting to stay in Lotus Land USA and not even bothering to take roles in England.

by Anonymousreply 49August 24, 2019 3:10 AM

She did return to the British stage in 1985 for The Seagull with John Hurt; and The Lonely Road with Anthony Hopkins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 24, 2019 3:28 AM

McCarthy and Clift were briefly roommates. I suspect Monty got more action from Merv Griffin, another roomie. I can't imagine Monty grooving to "I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts".

by Anonymousreply 51August 24, 2019 3:40 AM

I'm forcing myself to watch all those Samantha Eggar movies I've been avoiding for the last 30 years.

One interesting one was on Youtube. 'A Name for Evil' aka 'Satanicus' (1973) with Robert Culp showing off his penis.

by Anonymousreply 52August 26, 2019 8:54 AM

Miss Kay Lenz breezed onto the scene and put all these old dames out of the business. Kay could play any part and she was so beautiful and fresh and new. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 53August 26, 2019 11:40 AM

Kaye Lenz. Dyke, ya know.

by Anonymousreply 54August 26, 2019 4:17 PM

Samantha basically got top billing for Curtains and Demonoid, but that's about it and they were both cheesy horror flicks. They're both fun, though.

by Anonymousreply 55August 26, 2019 5:53 PM

John Vernon is first billed on this poster. Was the billing altered on other posters?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 26, 2019 6:07 PM

I heard here and there that Eggar was a demanding bitch to work with, and lost work as a result. Not a big enough star to begin with, she was purposely overlooked because of her behavior. She became a has-been almost overnight.

by Anonymousreply 57August 26, 2019 6:31 PM

That doesn't really make sense. Low budget movies have less time and resources. Eggar mentioned how she shot her "The Brood" scenes in four days.

by Anonymousreply 58August 26, 2019 6:52 PM

Well, R57 you might have heard that Eggar lost work as a result of being a demanding bitch.

I heard she went a bit screwy after she married record-holding swimmer from Stanford graduate who died soon after she gave birth to some children.

And her convent upbringing flared up so she campaigned for Catholic Church stuff (there's a clip of her campaigning for Catholic Church stuff on YouTube).

by Anonymousreply 59September 1, 2019 9:18 AM

^. That Catholic thing you mention.

Once a Catholic, you a Catholic eternally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 1, 2019 10:34 PM

Is Samantha one of those creepy Catholics, though or did she just grow up at a Catholic? A lot of her movies haven't been exactly Catholic-friendly.

by Anonymousreply 61September 2, 2019 2:38 AM

She does look very good these days, though. She seems to have held herself together better than a lot of her contemporaries and, if she has had work done, it's been good work.

by Anonymousreply 62September 2, 2019 2:39 AM

She's 'a sure colleen' with her thick, red hair.

by Anonymousreply 63September 2, 2019 2:45 AM

I somehow doubt she is a hardcore conservative Catholic R61. People who were raised Catholic often still consider themselves Catholic even if they don't actively practice or rigidly believe in all of it. It's a cultural thing. Catholicism is very much like Judaism in that way.

Samantha commenting on her convent education, per Wikipedia:

[quote]The nuns didn't have too much success with me – I've always had a violent temper. In fact, once I almost killed one of the nuns.

by Anonymousreply 64September 2, 2019 2:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!