Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Corks in Wine

This really pisses me off! And it seems to be happening more and more.

I'll take the metal covering off of the wine, attempt to take out the cork, only to discover that the cork is rotted, and it breaks halfway down. Dammit!

What am I supposed to do then? This also happens with corked liquor.

Inevitably, I end up with cork floating around in my alcohol.

There should be a law against this!

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2019 11:45 PM

YES! This happened to the last three bottles of Gran Marnier I bought. It's the worst!

by Anonymousreply 1August 19, 2019 10:44 PM

Are you storing the bottles upright? Because they should be laying horizontally, to keep the cork wet. When it dries out is when it breaks and also doesn't do its job.

by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2019 10:46 PM

That pisses me off, too. It doesn't happen to me very often though. When it does I pour the wine through a fine strainer and the cork will be gone.

by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2019 10:46 PM

This very rarely happens to me and I buy wine at every price. When it DOES happen, if its a newly purchased bottle - take it back to the shop! It's unacceptable.

by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2019 10:50 PM

Use a corkscrew instead of your teeth.

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2019 10:51 PM

The corkscrew only pushes the cork down into the bottle, which then ends up floating in the wine, R5.

by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2019 10:53 PM

Not if you know how to operate it, it doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2019 10:54 PM

It's time to replace corks with screw cap tops.

I don't understand how people can keep "100 year old" bottles of wine, and not have the cork completely disintegrate.

I've had 2 year old bottles of wine, and the cork just breaks right off.

by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2019 10:56 PM

I buy wines in cartons. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2019 10:58 PM

[quote] I buy wines in cartons. Problem solved.

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2019 11:03 PM

There are good wines with screw tops but its not meant to keep! Few people buy wine to keep and those who do, manage to have bottles age fine with cork - you just need a dark, still, humid, cool, cellar.

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2019 11:06 PM

I can't recall ever having an issue breaking the cork. I screw the spiral metal into the cork put the bottle between my legs and pull. It's all in the technique.

by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2019 11:14 PM

[quote] I can't recall ever having an issue breaking the cork.

We're not talking about the cork breaking.

We're talking about the cork disintegrating into little pieces, because it has lost its integrity.

A fresh, new cork won't break.

However, after aging a while, the cork starts breaking down and rotting, basically just crumbling into little bits.

by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2019 11:17 PM

You don't need to use a pull screw. Get one that lifts the cork out of the bottle as you continue screwing, or this scissors kind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2019 11:17 PM

You just need to soak-a the cork, OP. The great-a thing about the cork soaking, is that while you are-a soaking the cork, you can also massage-a the grapes, until the cork is ready.

by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2019 11:32 PM

You need one of these OP. The Ah So wine opener - it's what soms use when opening old bottles or when a cork breaks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2019 11:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!