Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Warren Apologizes For Native Ancestry Claims [VIDEO]

Politico reports:

Sen. Elizabeth Warren apologized Monday to a Native American audience over her handling of past claims of native ancestry, telling a group of tribal leaders that she realized it had been a mistake.

“Now, before I go any further in this I want to say this: Like anyone who’s been honest with themselves, I know that I have made mistakes,” Warren, appearing at a forum for presidential candidates, said at the outset of her presentation.

“I am sorry for harm I have caused. I have listened and I have learned a lot. And I am grateful for the many conversations that we’ve had together.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127August 21, 2019 11:34 PM

Finally. I said ages ago that she should just apologise and get it over with. Biden should learn from her.

by Anonymousreply 1August 19, 2019 9:41 PM

It's not going to stop the Trump "Pocahontas" taunts, nor compensate for her cavalier exploitation of fake Native American back story.

by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2019 9:54 PM

Whatever. She at least owned up to it like an adult and admitted she was wrong.

Another reason why she belongs in the White House. Like Obama. she can be reflective and admit wrongs. A change from white men getting pissy because you dare to question them.

by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2019 9:57 PM

I got the same thing a few months with my dad's Christmas DNA kit. For years, we've all understood that we were Mohawk Indian. My grandma's grandma told her. It seemed believable. Not one drop. I was actually shocked that Elizabeth doesn't have more DNA in her profile. She's from Oklahoma for christ's sake.

by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2019 10:05 PM

R2, she didn't really exploit it tho

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2019 10:06 PM

She didn't make a mistake, she flat out lied.

by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2019 10:06 PM

Here is her announcement for the general electorate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2019 10:13 PM

And there, at R7, you have the Republican talking point if she is nominated: " Pocahontas is a liar," will be the mantra.

by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2019 10:16 PM

The Republicans are going to pounce all over whoever the candidate is. This is a non issue as long as she gets Native American support.

If any democrat is pissed over this, then you should have a bigger issue with the alleged frontrunner having a controversy every week over something he said or did. A hundred missteps and gaffes is far more troublesome than one.

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2019 10:24 PM

[quote]I got the same thing a few months with my dad's Christmas DNA kit. For years, we've all understood that we were Mohawk Indian. My grandma's grandma told her. It seemed believable. Not one drop. I was actually shocked that Elizabeth doesn't have more DNA in her profile. She's from Oklahoma for christ's sake.

You may just not have inherited it. Doesn’t mean you don’t have a relative that ones. Brothers and sisters vary in what they inherit from their parents as well. One may have more ancestry from the mother than the father.

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2019 10:25 PM

I'm so sick of the hysteria over this petty bullshit. In this country, most people are not fully 100 percent aware of their exact ancestry. And in my experience physical appearance is not necessarily an indicator of heritage. It's funny how the media will descend like vultures on Warren, Biden, and Kamala Harris for the slightest mistep but rarely seems to get too worked up about anything the right does. I really think 75 percent of the press are right wing cock suckers pretending to be lib. And for what it's worth there have been serious questions about the accuracy of some of these DNA tests. I am not talking about the type of DNA unique to the person but genetic /ethnic DNA. Some of these tests have given people different ethnicities each time they take the test!

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2019 10:26 PM

[quote] She didn't make a mistake, she flat out lied.

[quote]—Str8guy

So, you want to hang her, straight guy? If you're waiting for someone to pass your purity test, you'll be waiting a long time and Trump will easily win a second term.

by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2019 10:37 PM

Know a number of people who were at least 1/8 Native American some of whom who were blond-haired, blue-eyed, and fair skinned. None of them ever got educational or scholarship advantages. However all pointed out to clear and distinctive physical traits and said it was crucial for medical personnel to know their heritage.

A friend with contacts to the Cherokee Nation says there's a lot of anger among those with solid Native American blood who've faced past and even current constant discrimination and prejudice towards Warren.. No, not everyone can afford a lawyer to sue when they've clearly been abused. Elizabeth Warren should have long, long ago offered free legal services to Native Americans and/or made a sizable financial donation and/or worked on legislation to improve their well-being.

by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2019 10:38 PM

Fuck this GOP trolling and racebaiting. Do anyone of you think the GOP is doing any Native Americans any favors as they run their fucking pipeline through reservation lands? Grow up. Stop feeding fucking trolls. There are too many real issues to discuss.

by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2019 10:41 PM

R14, Just because Trump and the Republicans have ignored the rights of Native Americans doesn't give Warren or any other Democratic candidate a free pass.

Yes I'd like to hear how the other still viable choices would respond to ongoing Native American complaints.

by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2019 10:45 PM

If Pete had to admit his non-mistake in front of millions, this bitch needs to drop out of the race and retire. I love Warren but the media has been so biased for her

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2019 10:49 PM

She terrifies the right people. I love her. Always have.

by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2019 10:53 PM

Read the wikipedia article on her which relates what really happened. Typical non issue aggro drummed up by toads like Scott Brown and Trump. After she published her DNA profile, Trump backfilled and lied. Who in the United States with family extending back to the revolutionary war hasnt been told there was some grear great great grandma back in olden times who “they said” was an ancestor? I’m not even a Warren supporter. I just cansmell trolling a mile away.

by Anonymousreply 18August 19, 2019 10:56 PM

Back to the revolutionary war on both sides as a matter of fact for myself anyway. And no better than anyone else here, just deep roots, and yes, They said I had a Creek ancestor in Alabama. I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 19August 19, 2019 10:59 PM

R18, Not true. My "adopted" grandmother's ancestry on both sides was written down in the family Bible with specific names of relatives related to QE II through arrival in the US just after the Mayflower. Same with all members of the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution.)

by Anonymousreply 20August 19, 2019 11:04 PM

Oh I give up. I am too old for this shit. Obviously, you win...

by Anonymousreply 21August 19, 2019 11:17 PM

Serious question. Know a lot of former Trump supporters who've become very disappointed with several of his positions so they're looking for alternatives. How will Warren appeal to these true Independents & Swing voters if she's also advocating for reparations? That's her most controversial position.

by Anonymousreply 22August 19, 2019 11:38 PM

[quote]If Pete had to admit his non-mistake in front of millions, [bold]this bitch[/bold] needs to drop out of the race and retire. [bold]I love Warren[/bold] but the media has been so biased for her

???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 20, 2019 12:17 AM

A close friend of mine always believed based on his parents and grandparents that they had Lanape ancestors. An ancestry test results 2 years ago showed no Native American background at all. He was dumbfounded. But his uncle remembers reading that a great grandfather had remarried an Lenape Indian after his wife died, but they had no more children, so it likely was connection by marriage only. Stories over the years get fuzzy and even exaggerated .

by Anonymousreply 24August 20, 2019 12:18 AM

[quote]It's not going to stop the Trump "Pocahontas" taunts, nor compensate for her cavalier exploitation of fake Native American back story.

Pocahontas is Faux-cahontas! Scalp her up! Scalp her up! Scalp her up!

by Anonymousreply 25August 20, 2019 12:20 AM

I have no idea what she was apologizing for, because she did not say.

I have no idea why she would apologize, as she did nothing wrong.

I think she’s working very hard to be repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 26August 20, 2019 1:06 AM

[quote]She didn't make a mistake, she flat out lied.

No, that would be you, as this statement was a "flat out lie."

by Anonymousreply 27August 20, 2019 1:16 AM

I just heard an Indian spokesman whine about “claiming tribal citizenry”, vs. “having Indian ancestry”. So, what Warren did, was she misspoke, [italic] if [/italic] she asserted the former when she meant the latter. I wish she told them to fuck off, if they’re that angry over something that is absolutely understandable and trivial. I think it was just a bunch of right-wingers who were making a fuss about this.

There are real, serious problems suffered or endured by the Indian community today, and this isn’t one of them.

by Anonymousreply 28August 20, 2019 1:18 AM

At least there are real people Sen Warren could apologize to. I imagine it’s difficult for Trump to find a collective group of Fatass Racist White Perverts to apologize to. “Yeah, sorry I wrecked your previously sterling reputation as racist perverts . But ya know how hard it is when you can’t tell a bowling ball from a vagina? Then you just have to throw a 7-10 split RIGHT NOW”

Good luck explaining Trump. His crimes are actual . Warren’s are imaginary.

by Anonymousreply 29August 20, 2019 1:28 AM

[quote] R20: [R18], Not true. My "adopted" grandmother's ancestry on both sides was written down in the family Bible with specific names of relatives related to QE II through arrival in the US just after the Mayflower. Same with all members of the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution.)

I think you actually proved R18’s point. You’ve heard a story, and you believe it. Have you actually verified it? I can voice for R18’s point. I have a family history written in 1860. It’s mostly true, and there were no intentional lies, I don’t think. But there were a number of things that are not verifiable today, and at least one thing that is simply an error, though a big one.

The author would have been 20 when his revolutionary war grandfather died, so the unverifiable facts are a real wonder.

In any event, I completely understand exactly where Liz’s family history comes from and it makes perfect sense to me. Her claim also happens to have been true, too, as proved by DNA.

by Anonymousreply 30August 20, 2019 1:29 AM

R30, Do you have a very serious reading comprehension problem?

As I said I was shown their family Bible from way before the 1600's in England. Brought across the ocean just after the Mayflower, there were very accurate records for all births, marriages, deaths, as well as full names. In addition there were countless historical records involving the purchase and sale of land.

For example they owned a very small plantation in the South with a few mostly house slaves. Buried together in the family plot, all were given their freedom when the land was sold long before the Civil War. The family paid for one Black son to go to college where he became the 1st non-White licensed teacher in the area. Of course there are historical records for all of the above, copies of which were retained by my "adopted" grandmother.

In addition they knew the specific ancestor of the BRF to whom they were related. To be a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution letters and documents must be presented for examination proving these specific details.

My "adopted" grandmother was a school teacher, and her only daughter a college professor of art at SDSU. Guaranteed they weren't making up stories about their heritage.

by Anonymousreply 31August 20, 2019 3:15 AM

Sounds fishy, R31.

by Anonymousreply 32August 20, 2019 3:17 AM

This was the right thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 33August 20, 2019 3:21 AM

R31, WHY does it sound fishy? Don't you understand the concept of documentation? Or what it takes to join the DAR? To be a member of one of America's oldest families?

We're talking about Episcopalians that brought over their paintings from England and had an extensive collection of displayed china and antiques dating way, way back next to the baby grand piano in the living room. Who when they previously lived in Los Angeles would never subscribe to the LA Times because they disliked the corrupt Chandler family.

by Anonymousreply 34August 20, 2019 3:27 AM

Her poll numbers will drop now.

by Anonymousreply 35August 20, 2019 3:34 AM

DAR records are unreliable prior to 1980. Anybody could get if if they had friends who were in, and shaky docs citing relations to QEII.

by Anonymousreply 36August 20, 2019 4:05 AM

Say anything to get elected. If caught lying, apologize so that the gullible will STILL elect you.

by Anonymousreply 37August 20, 2019 4:09 AM

R36, Are you also going to state that family Bibles with exacting dates and addresses of all family records originating prior to the 1600's are also unreliable? If so, you're delusional, and not worth my time responding to your idiosyncrasies.

by Anonymousreply 38August 20, 2019 4:12 AM

The idea that she took advantage of “minority status” to get hired is Republican bullshit. Unfortunately, some over-eager administrator at Harvard Law School claimed her as a minority hire to make the school look like its faculty was more diverse. That’ll muddy the waters enough to make it an issue.

by Anonymousreply 39August 20, 2019 4:14 AM

R36, My "adopted" grandmother is this SDSU's former art professor's mother. Note that the link includes family history and autobiographical info. I suggest you look it up if you don't believe me. Included in her paintings is one of me she did when I was a young child.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 20, 2019 4:20 AM

What a hypocritical, self-serving opportunist.

If Warren had offered this apology in 2012 when her selfish, self serving behavior first came to light I might have considered her apology sincere. As it is the only reason she’s saying it now is because she’s down in the polls. She’s full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 41August 20, 2019 4:26 AM

The problem is not whether or not she used her claim as native american to get into Harvard. The problem is by claiming to be native american, she prevented the actual native americans to fill the quota in diversity board. I can imagine the uproar that would have been had Warren been a white man.

by Anonymousreply 42August 20, 2019 4:37 AM

She didn’t “get into” Harvard. She was a professor.

by Anonymousreply 43August 20, 2019 4:40 AM

Most of them are fucking liars about something substantial. Many people lie. Booker is GAY. Marianne is NOT enlightened. Biden is a little bit feeble minded. Klobuchar IS a mean nasty cunt. Mayor Pete couldn't be honest about his sexuality and he was at FUCKING HARVARD where its easy peasy. Beto is an entitled lightweight. But, they all lie 99% less than Trump so, you know, choose your flawed human.

by Anonymousreply 44August 20, 2019 5:02 AM

[quote]they all lie 99% less than Trump so, you know, choose your flawed human.

Liar!

by Anonymousreply 45August 20, 2019 5:17 AM

R44, How could Mayor Pete serve in the military at that particular time period without any repercussions of he was an out gay man?

by Anonymousreply 46August 20, 2019 5:22 AM

She was just sorry she got caught.

by Anonymousreply 47August 20, 2019 5:27 AM

Just saying. Most of us Ivy Leaguers were out in college for the last several decades. If the military didn't want the best and brightest, if gay, fuck the military.

by Anonymousreply 48August 20, 2019 5:28 AM

So few people have time and tolerance for grey areas. Trump must be evil and your darling Democrat preferred candidate pure and good. In fact, Trump is 90% cretin but Mayor Pete and Pocahontas are NOT 90% enlightened honest public servants. Crissakes. I voted 2 times for Obama but still wouldn't be totally shocked !!! if there are skeletons such as he was a cocksucker, or CIA, or born in Kenya, or once a Muslim. I really don't care. Do you?

by Anonymousreply 49August 20, 2019 5:32 AM

It appears that some of you are unaware of the results of Warren's DNA test, which did show that she has a tiny percentage of Native American DNA, consistent with having a Native American ancestor 5 or 6 generations previous. I suspect that some of you have fallen for the propaganda from the right that her DNA results showed no native American DNA, which is false. The beef that some native Americans had with her was that she sometimes identified herself as being a descendant of Cherokee people. That determination has to be made by tribal people and tribal records, not by DNA, and THAT is what she was apologizing for.

There has also been sufficient testimony by people on job search committees in places she was hired that she was never promoted or given jobs because of a claim of native American ancestry, another false claim of the right wing.

by Anonymousreply 50August 20, 2019 5:35 AM

Because illustrious higher education institutions never cover up their embarrassing mistakes.

by Anonymousreply 51August 20, 2019 5:39 AM

R50, Getting back to my question as previously stated, if Warren identified in any way with the Cherokee Nation or Native Americans then WHY didn't she use her considerable resources and legal background to extensively volunteer her assistance long before running for POTUS?

by Anonymousreply 52August 20, 2019 6:02 AM

Why should she, R52? You think that just because she has NA DNA that she somehow should be a slavery to charity work for them? How naive.

by Anonymousreply 53August 20, 2019 6:09 AM

Warren has been working full time for the people of Massachusetts. She’s not from Massachusetts, but she’s working for the people here, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 54August 20, 2019 6:10 AM

So who are our real front runners now? Biden, Warren and Harris? They all look like fucking Mother Teresa when compared to any of the Trump clan, Moscow Mitch, Jim Jordan, (enter name of GOP trash here), etc. Why are we even having this discussion anyway? Only Fox News could be so outwardly hypocritical, repellant and trashy enough to make an issue over any "wrong" that these candidates have ever shown whatsoever. I often have to pinch myself when I hear the bullshit that Faux News spews while simultaneously praising such HORRID, VILE, REPULSIVE GOP excuses for HUMAN TRASH. I like the poster above who wisely said - "I don't care, do you?".

by Anonymousreply 55August 20, 2019 6:22 AM

Yeah the DNA test showed the exact opposite of what R50 the paid shill is trying to claim. Warren has NO right to call herself Native American.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 20, 2019 7:18 AM

Now she apologizes. At the very least, it seems like she was trying to spice up her background. It would be interesting to poll her family members to see whether they grew up thinking they were Native Americans.

by Anonymousreply 57August 20, 2019 8:13 AM

r56 has reading comprehension problems. I said Warren "has a tiny percentage of Native American ancestry, consistent with a native American ancestor 5-6 generations ago". Which is EXACTLY what the Boston Globe article said in the very first paragraph. Try again, monsieur.

by Anonymousreply 58August 20, 2019 8:22 AM

Lol, she's not down in the polls. She's rising and if people listen to her plans, they want to vote for her. She's got corporations running scared and I love it.

by Anonymousreply 59August 20, 2019 8:59 AM

R58 Reading comprehension is your friend! Only in your case it’s not. (Or did you not read the linked article?)

I’ll quote the relevant part here:

“...The analysis of Warren’s DNA, which she submitted to Stanford geneticist Carlos Bustamante, suggests that there was a single Native American in her family tree somewhere between 6 and 10 generations ago.

“That would put the American Indian share of her DNA within a range of 1.5 percent and 0.09 percent — just like millions of other white Americans.”

by Anonymousreply 60August 20, 2019 12:34 PM

R60, it means that her story was verified by factual evidence. Period.

And it’s not about millions of other people. It’s about her. She was truthful and accurate. Unlike you.

by Anonymousreply 61August 20, 2019 1:34 PM

I think if Trump/rethugs want to continue harping on this, it will backfire because a lot of whites in this country have had a similar experience to Warren.

by Anonymousreply 62August 20, 2019 1:36 PM

R61 Oh honey you do not check "native american" as your race on a slate of choices when you are 1 drop. Nor do you check "African American", retroactively, if you discover you had1 black dan injection 6 -10 generations ago, after all that time the family living as white. At the very least, if not for affirmative action, Warren did pretend to be Native American for the "cool factor" but doesn't come from a family that endured generations of Native American experience living in the USA. Fucking DUH.

Even her apology is mealy mouthed political boilerplate. But, as I said, most politicians have a big lie they can NOT articulate clearly. I'm OK with that.

by Anonymousreply 63August 20, 2019 1:40 PM

If this is the worst she has to apologize for, and the worst Trump (#Brokeahontas) has to fling at her, she has nothing to worry about.

by Anonymousreply 64August 20, 2019 1:41 PM

R64 I agree with that. Its all about proportion.

by Anonymousreply 65August 20, 2019 1:43 PM

She won all of the polls at that convention yesterday and got a standing ovation. She was the overwhelming favorite among the NA delegates. Now watch Trump print off some "Native Americans For Trump" signs and find some black haired dude carry them at his next ego stroking rally.

by Anonymousreply 66August 20, 2019 2:16 PM

My great grandmother looked Native, had a Cherokee name, and my grandmother and father also looked native, and everyone was so sure they were, but relatives have gotten DNA tests recently and they have no Native DNA at all. I've known a lot of people here in the Midwest with similar experiences. I don't think the Repugs are going to get as far with this as they think they will. If nothing else, people are just tired of it.

by Anonymousreply 67August 20, 2019 2:16 PM

This was VERY smart of Warren to do this right now and just wipe all that baggage Trump created for her.

by Anonymousreply 68August 20, 2019 2:30 PM

[quote] Warren did pretend to be Native American for the "cool factor" but doesn't come from a family that endured generations of Native American experience living in the USA. Fucking DUH.

Where does it say that one must have a horrible experience in America to claim to be American Indian?

Her family stories said she had Native American blood in her so she checked the Native American box. America treats minorities with the one-drop theory so why not take advantage of it.

I have a good friend who is black and comes from an upper class family. She always laughs at how stupid admissions and affirmative action rules are with regards to race because she was able to take full advantage of them despite coming from a rich black family.

by Anonymousreply 69August 20, 2019 2:34 PM

[quote] Even her apology is mealy mouthed political boilerplate.

Should she have groveled on her knees and begged for forgiveness? Please--don't be an idiot

by Anonymousreply 70August 20, 2019 2:36 PM

[quote] It would be interesting to poll her family members to see whether they grew up thinking they were Native Americans.

Does it matter?

We have a man in the White House who sexually harassed at least 20 women, cheated people out of millions, is using his position to enrich himself and his friends, may have raped a 13 year old, is a serial cheater on his wife.... and you want me to care if Warren's family thought they had Native American blood?

by Anonymousreply 71August 20, 2019 2:38 PM

This is an issue created by Republicans. It’s played out. Let’s put it to bed.

by Anonymousreply 72August 20, 2019 2:39 PM

[quote] The problem is by claiming to be native american, she prevented the actual native americans to fill the quota in diversity board.

There is no native american quota. What diversity board?

Warren was a renown consumer protection lawyer. Any university would have done anything to have her on faculty.

by Anonymousreply 73August 20, 2019 2:40 PM

R69 you're an idiot with purity disease. Warren apologised exactly for what I explained. It was a kind of "stolen hardship".

A person from the generations old "black aristocracy" may be high yellow and may have never been poor, obviously, but he family has still long been identified as black because they are black. So of course they should check "black" if they are so inclined.

Warren is not and never was "Native American". No tribe every acknowledged her or her family. I REALLY DON'T CARE - it's not that important, so why the sanctimony that she could not have been wrong. She was WRONG and thus her apology. Sheesh!

by Anonymousreply 74August 20, 2019 2:42 PM

[quote] I love Warren but the media has been so biased for her

Yeah, I hate it when a candidate produces bonafide policies instead of just talking out of the sides of their mouth.

by Anonymousreply 75August 20, 2019 2:43 PM

[quote] Warren is not and never was "Native American". No tribe every acknowledged her or her family.

Lots of people say they have native american ancestry. It has NOTHING TO DO with being acknowledged by a specific tribe. In fact many tribes have died out so can't acknowledge anyone.

She apologized to get this issue off the table and also presented policies to help Native American tribes. This was a very smart political move,

by Anonymousreply 76August 20, 2019 2:45 PM

R62 exactly / her generation were encouraged to seek out and take advantage of financial assistance / different times / end of story

by Anonymousreply 77August 20, 2019 2:45 PM

We have to start admitting Pete Buttagieg's joining the military to go to Afghanistan was kind of stupid.

by Anonymousreply 78August 20, 2019 2:46 PM

I agree with that R76. I don't agree that she wasn't wrong to identify as Native American. She was wrong. It was ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 79August 20, 2019 2:46 PM

[quote] if Warren identified in any way with the Cherokee Nation or Native Americans then WHY didn't she use her considerable resources and legal background to extensively volunteer her assistance long before running for POTUS?

Should I start helping the Italians in distress?

by Anonymousreply 80August 20, 2019 2:47 PM

At least she wasn't guilty of ripping off her fellow tribespeople of investing their hard earned ca$h in a fake degree from Pocahontas University.

by Anonymousreply 81August 20, 2019 2:47 PM

exactly.

by Anonymousreply 82August 20, 2019 2:50 PM

Even after an apology is given, Dems are hounded to keep speaking about it and keep apologizing. Trump never apologizes and the media moves on, He isn’t held to the same standards, it’s ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 83August 20, 2019 3:02 PM

Bullshit, r77. That generation was not taught to be dishonest at the cost of another.

by Anonymousreply 84August 20, 2019 3:04 PM

Corporations are terrified of her. That should comfort the American voter.

by Anonymousreply 85August 20, 2019 4:44 PM

She has the Native American vote locked up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86August 20, 2019 5:16 PM

[QUOTE] there's a lot of anger among those with solid Native American blood

I thought no one had solid blood, that all American natives were mixed?

by Anonymousreply 87August 20, 2019 5:17 PM

Elizabeth Warren, I condole you, but in all honesty, I'd rather go toe to toe with Trump than Buzz Berkeley!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88August 20, 2019 5:31 PM

The only anger I've seen from Native Americans is towards Trump for totally gutting all of the advancements Obama made for them

by Anonymousreply 89August 20, 2019 6:34 PM

[quote] R69: Where does it say that one must have a horrible experience in America to claim to be American Indian?

When the two Connecticut tribes got their casino licenses, they were alone in New York and New England, so it was extremely lucrative. The Great Recession set them back, and now there’s competition, so their ventures have suffered since.

But when they were newly recognized tribes, they had to search high and low for members to join their tribes. Most of the Mohegans were fully integrated into modern American culture with regular jobs and homes, and would appear to most people to be Black. The Pequots at least had an actual preexisting reservation and very small tribe with Indian culture. My friend’s father was their minister, when they were still poor. His funeral was in their little sad little chapel.

Not judging, but these people, especially the Mohegans, weren’t living as an oppressed and occupied nation under the American imperialist boot. They were living just like their American neighbors.

Incidentally, a few of the bigwigs in the Indian leadership got rich, but the average tribe member did not. Some of them are still in poverty today, despite all that cash that filtered through their tribe. In part, they didn’t know how to handle their windfall, and got outfoxed by business partners with casino savvy.

by Anonymousreply 90August 20, 2019 7:08 PM

Lots of anti-Warren retard trolls in this thread. Who don't know the FIRST THING about this whole issue. Her family did believe they had Native blood, that's where she got the story from. The DNA test proved it. She apologized for the ACCURATE claim on the employment form. Which she got no preferential treatment from anyway. CASE. CLOSED!

Cry harder, trolls, Cry. Harder.

by Anonymousreply 91August 20, 2019 7:19 PM

Good for Warren.

Her Tee Pee Girls will outdo Trump's Pee Pee Girls.

by Anonymousreply 92August 20, 2019 7:24 PM

If you are 98% caucasian and 2% native american, it is not "accurate" to check "Native American" rather than "White".

by Anonymousreply 93August 20, 2019 7:24 PM

I have Genghis Khan DNA, as many of you do, too. When I applied to the Ivy League years ago, should I have checked "Asian American"? (when that would have been a bonus, not a deterrent) My family was identified and identified as white for generations though we knew there was a Chinese wife many generations ago in the French branch. Yes, I'm "Asian American". She thought she was being so clever. Ha, bit her in the ass. I'd still vote for her!

by Anonymousreply 94August 20, 2019 7:29 PM

R91,

Are either one of your parents NA?

Are any of your grand parents NA?

Great grandparent?

Great, great grandparents?

Great, great great grandparents?

If no to any of the above then you don't get to claim it on anything.

by Anonymousreply 95August 20, 2019 7:30 PM

Aren't we all tired of this though? The Trumpsters who go on and on about it are always racist, calling her "Pocahontas" so you know they don't care about native Americans anyway, and everyone else is just done. Everyone has decided whether it makes a difference to them or not already. She didn't even get any benefit from the claim.

by Anonymousreply 96August 20, 2019 7:33 PM

It would be nice if the people on our own team would stop with the purity and binary thinking, as if Warren could have done NO WRONG WHATSOEVER. That's all. Trump 100% Evil and Dem 100% Pure is a losing battle. When Trump comes at Warren with Pocahontas she needs to say, yeah I messed up that one and apologise now let's talk about Trump University and Bankrupt Casinos, Mr. Small Hands. Aren't you a big-handed, strong German American? How's that friendship with Angela Merkel? Where are Melania's runway photos from her top model career? She's a genius immigrant, right?

by Anonymousreply 97August 20, 2019 7:41 PM

Trump could bluster but there is NO satisfying response if the dems TRULY fling his grifting history directly into his face, publicly, repeatedly.

by Anonymousreply 98August 20, 2019 7:52 PM

I was at Paul Revere’s grave yesterday. I was by myself and a bit bored so I mentioned to the young tourists next to me that my cousins happened to be buried right there in front of us, next to his grave, and that they were family friends. They remarked that I was an “original”, and I replied that I was not, but they, buried right there, were.

While I have nothing to do with Revere or the Revolution or any of that, I still feel a connection. It is part of my heritage and I nonetheless feel some pride over it, despite not actually having earned it except by birth. So, I can appreciate Liz’s family story and even relate to it. I have no problem with any of this, except I don’t think she should have apologized.

by Anonymousreply 99August 20, 2019 7:57 PM

For the life of me I don't get the outrage about this, her parents and grandparents told her she had native American ancestry just as my parents told me of my ancestry. I have never had any reason not to believe my parents nor did Warren.

by Anonymousreply 100August 20, 2019 10:06 PM

Why choose "native american" as your identity when its such a tiny fraction and imprecisely located in the far past? It was a conscious, deliberate choice, not a natural choice. She had the option WHITE but chose NATIVE AMERICAN yet knew of NO Native American relative by name or date. She was being too clever. Lord knows why. She never has explained that reasoning.

by Anonymousreply 101August 20, 2019 10:21 PM

She grew up in Oklahoma, she was surrounded by Indians. That's as close as you can get to the Indian experience without living on the rez.

by Anonymousreply 102August 20, 2019 11:38 PM

Question - did her parents tell her "You are Native American. We are a Native American family." Or did they say "We believe there was a Native American (Indian) in our family sometime in the past." Warren has said the later. Which does not explain the choice: "I am Native American" rather than "I am caucasion/white" when asked to choose.

by Anonymousreply 103August 20, 2019 11:43 PM

[quote] Lol, she's not down in the polls

Unfortunately she is, way down. See CNN and HarrisX polls today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104August 21, 2019 12:54 AM

Harris is a C+ pollster and no, she's not "way down" in the polls. Her average on RCP is about a point lower than it was after the Fox poll came out. She and Sanders remain in pretty much a dead heat, just as they have been for a couple of months now.

by Anonymousreply 105August 21, 2019 1:13 AM

As far as I can ascertain, Warren only listed her "Race" as "American Indian" on one form - a Texas Bar Association form that is used to compile statistics on the ethnic makeup of the Bar Association - sometime in the early 80s. I think at other times, she listed native american as a part of her ancestral heritage. At one time, being native American was highly stigmatized in American culture. Just as a person would have to sit in the back of a bus if he/she had even one drop of black blood, most Americans hid their native ancestry for generations for similar reasons. Then it became a point of pride sometime in the 1960s and lots of people jumped on that bandwagon. Although there were affirmative action programs for minorities beginning in the 60s and 70s, these were mostly geared towards black people. I'm fairly certain that, in those areas that had affirmative action for native americans, tribal affiliation would have to be verified, so Warren would have never qualified, and there's no indication that she ever attempted to benefit from affirmative action.

by Anonymousreply 106August 21, 2019 8:50 AM

[quote] there's no indication that she ever attempted to benefit from affirmative action.

Actually, there is.

by Anonymousreply 107August 21, 2019 12:26 PM

Actually, there isn't.

by Anonymousreply 108August 21, 2019 12:29 PM

Sadly, she did use it.

by Anonymousreply 109August 21, 2019 12:35 PM

I'm going to need some proof, Igor.

by Anonymousreply 110August 21, 2019 12:56 PM

Sadly, she didn't use it, R109.

by Anonymousreply 111August 21, 2019 3:26 PM

It was against this backdrop of race and gender activism that Elizabeth Warren arrived in Cambridge. Then a law professor at the University of Pennsylvania, she came to Harvard as a visiting professor (that is, on a trial basis). During this time, Warren categorized herself as Native American and was deemed a minority in a professional directory used by law schools for recruiting purposes. Warren says she classified herself this way to meet other Native Americans. That may be true; it must also have had the effect of catching the attention of hiring committees at prestigious law schools.

Once at Harvard, Warren quickly developed a reputation as an engaging and committed teacher. Students of all political stripes flocked to her classes. I was one of them. She was, I can attest, an excellent professor.

It is not difficult to imagine that the members of the hiring committee might have thought Warren would help with their public relations problem—or at least buy them some time.

The Boston Globe reports that Warren’s claim to Native American heritage never came up in faculty deliberations. But, of course, it didn’t have to. At that point, her purported ethnicity was a matter of record.

by Anonymousreply 112August 21, 2019 4:10 PM

Why she can never be elected.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113August 21, 2019 4:13 PM

Yeah, an op-ed from February is sure convincing, R113. Damn. How dare she be rising in the polls when her campaign has already been declared over!

R112, if you're going to quote someone, it is considered common courtesy to link to their work. And you really should link to a credible news source, not a right-wing hack. I've linked the full op-ed below. It's not worth reading, honestly, since it's nothing but speculation, some of it rather ... tortured.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114August 21, 2019 4:23 PM

At the end of the day, I don't give a shit about Warren lying about this, but I *DO* give a shit with the media narratives running with their preferred candidates. They white-washed (ha!) this and constantly fucking defend her. I also find her apology insincere as fuck. Contrast this to:

1. "Mayo" Pete, whose headlines today from Chicago are that his crowds are OVERWHELMINGLY WHITE! and HE CAN'T GET THE BLACK VOTE! 2. Tulsi Gabbard: Homophobe/Russian Agent/Assad Lover/Cult Member (spin the wheel to see which it is this week!)

Even though these positions are *constantly* asked of them and *constantly* framing the narrative around them, even though they've answered them swiftly, repeatedly, and with actual sincerity.

But Liz? No mention of her lily white rallies, or big tech bankrolling, and no grilling over her actually and knowingly using a complete fabrication to get ahead - however slight - but constant defending and equivocating.

But again, personally, that alone would have little affect on my vote. Most people know there are no (or few) honest politicians. The media's framing of these transgressions between the candidates is so flagrantly dishonest though it makes me rage and want to see her CONFESS.

by Anonymousreply 115August 21, 2019 4:27 PM

Correct, R115.

by Anonymousreply 116August 21, 2019 10:24 PM

No, R115 is not correct. Liz didn’t lie about this. Her DNA already proved that her family story to be correct.

The Republican Party has a monopoly on dishonesty. It’s part of their brand.

by Anonymousreply 117August 21, 2019 10:45 PM

[quote] Her DNA already proved that her family story to be correct.

Exact opposite. But you knew that

by Anonymousreply 118August 21, 2019 10:55 PM

A friend of mine made a big deal out of his alleged Siwanoy heritage. He had tattoos, flags, etc, but like so many others, he did the DNA test- and had not a drop of Native American blood. For 67 years he had this identity- and it was false. He’s kind of a jerk so it was pretty funny. Trump supporter, too.

by Anonymousreply 119August 21, 2019 10:56 PM

R118, it’s a fact. But you knew that. Nobody is that stupid.

by Anonymousreply 120August 21, 2019 10:57 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121August 21, 2019 11:05 PM

[quote] it must also have had the effect of catching the attention of hiring committees at prestigious law schools

Assumes facts not in evidence.

by Anonymousreply 122August 21, 2019 11:08 PM

[quote] R121: U.S. tribal nations have their own definitions of belonging based on biological and cultural ties. Few rely on DNA testing — so Warren’s presumed allies saw the test as a slight. They’re right. DNA testing doesn’t prove much about your background, especially in America. The idea that nationality should rely on genetics is the territory of racists and eugenicists — Warren should be rejecting that view, not encouraging it.

Liz’s DNA test showed one or more Indian ancestors, which is exactly what Liz claimed and was derided for, by Trump. I don’t think she claimed any tribal membership, but if she did, I trust that she wasn’t aware of the requirements for tribal membership. But in any event, she wasn’t encouraging the idea of nationality reliant on genetics, she simply proved that she had been truthful.

by Anonymousreply 123August 21, 2019 11:14 PM

Twats. The issue was her selecting "Native American" as an identity. Not WHITE:

The issue is not saying, OH yeah, I think there was a Indian in my family way back when. Cut the shit. Warren tiptoed around the issue in her apology, and has had the "my mother said there was an indian" on REPEAT for 2 years. Nobody has problem with that.

This is bait, and switch.

by Anonymousreply 124August 21, 2019 11:25 PM

Liz was told she was Native American.

So she claimed she was Native American.

She did a DNA test that says, that yes, someone in her family's history was in fact Native American.

However, she's not Native American enough to ... actually be considered Native American by other Native Americans.

People are busting a gasket over this while your President is calling himself The Chosen One, trying to buy foreign countries and locking up children in detention camps!

by Anonymousreply 125August 21, 2019 11:26 PM

R125 that sums it up nicely. But for some purity folks, Elizabeth can do no wrong.

by Anonymousreply 126August 21, 2019 11:28 PM

No, R126, but some people just don’t like the dishonesty of the Right wing trolls who are lying about the subject so as to disrupt her campaign.

by Anonymousreply 127August 21, 2019 11:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!