Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Oh, dear troll

I like to think it’s just one person who obsessively proofreads DL and contributes nothing else to the conversation. I know it’s the collective board members. Neither way it makes me laugh

by Anonymousreply 47August 26, 2019 7:34 PM

*either. Damn it! Worst thread to have this happen

by Anonymousreply 1August 19, 2019 7:43 PM

It make me laugh because I picture something like this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2019 7:45 PM

Oh, dear x

by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2019 7:48 PM

Yes it gets really old. Nobody is going to proof a datalounge post with the same attention they would a doctoral thesis.

by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2019 7:52 PM

I picture former teacher’s pets doing this. The fat kid with the sweater vest and bow tie who always sit up front.

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2019 7:53 PM

"Contributes nothing"!????

They are the glue and the JOY holding us together!!

by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2019 7:55 PM

[quote] Neither way it makes me laugh

I don't think it's intended to make you laugh.

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2019 7:56 PM

OP types retarded.

by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2019 7:56 PM

It's part of the DL culture.

People want to change everything that makes the DL, the DL.

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2019 7:56 PM

R9 Who said anything about changing it? I think it’s hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2019 8:02 PM

[quote] People want to change everything that makes the DL, the DL.

Superfluous comma detected. FF that abomination!

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2019 8:04 PM

[quote] Neither way it makes me laugh

I would like an entire thread devoted to all the possible meanings of this gem. The only think that would make this better, is if it were:

[quote] Neither way it makes me laugh, irregardless.

by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2019 8:24 PM

[Quote] The only think that would make this better

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2019 8:32 PM

O. Deering

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2019 8:34 PM

I’m the Blossom O’Dearie Troll. There’s not much call for me.

by Anonymousreply 15August 20, 2019 12:04 AM

[quote]I like to think it’s just one person

No. I know I'm not the only cunt who keeps current with his corrections. Come out, come out, the rest of you.

by Anonymousreply 16August 20, 2019 7:59 AM

Vivian Vance

by Anonymousreply 17August 20, 2019 8:09 AM

I've never posted one of those corrections, but they don't bother me. The first time I received one, I thanked the person for popping my Oh Dear cherry. I deserve more than I receive.

by Anonymousreply 18August 20, 2019 8:33 AM

Some believe pointing out other people's mistakes makes them look more knowledgable and sophisticated also known as feeling superior.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 20, 2019 9:02 AM

It's a collective DL personality, like Erna and Muriel. It gives the DL flavuh.

Besides, summa you bitches can't write.

by Anonymousreply 20August 20, 2019 10:48 AM

Oh, dear is a meme, not a troll.

by Anonymousreply 21August 20, 2019 10:50 AM

I think it’s gauche to correct another’s grammar. Save it for the important things in life.

by Anonymousreply 22August 20, 2019 7:20 PM

I don't mind being Oh Deared because I make a lot of typos, but there have been several recent Oh Dears where the grammar wasn't incorrect.

by Anonymousreply 23August 20, 2019 7:25 PM

Woah woah woah, Erna and Muriel aren't collective characters, Erna is some creepoid named Michael and Muriel is what we call the webmaster, of which I think there's only one. They're real people.

by Anonymousreply 24August 20, 2019 7:27 PM

I appreciate the corrections — unless it’s for something that’s obviously a typo (see R13).

by Anonymousreply 25August 20, 2019 7:37 PM

When I first came to DL the grammar trolls were like The SS. They'd march up and down the forum SEARCHING for spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.

If you were an OP and you started a thread with any sort of the above, forget it - your whole thread would be about the mistakes you made. They'd gather together and rip you to shreds.

& NO, I'm not exaggerating.

Now is nothing compared to then.

But the positive side to this is, the standard of writing on here was of a much higher standard.

& GOD HELP ANYONE who posted an EST - they'd crucify you.

by Anonymousreply 26August 20, 2019 7:50 PM

R24 Datalounge's Wikipedia entry says this:

"One of the most beloved posters is the person known as Erna."

"DataLounge is largely self-moderated, but from time to time, threads are closed or deleted by "Muriel," as the webmaster is nicknamed today."

by Anonymousreply 27August 20, 2019 7:51 PM

[quote]"One of the most beloved posters is the person known as Erna."

Clearly written by the beast itself.

by Anonymousreply 28August 20, 2019 8:24 PM

It's annoying. No one's perfect. Sometimes I'll notice a typo, but it isn't an obstacle to my understanding what the poster is saying. So I keep reading, and I move on. Then I get distracted by the proofreader when I see the "oh dear" a few posts later. It pulls me away from my train of thought many times more than the typo does.

I wonder what the proofreader is getting out of this. Is he hoping to embarrass people? To portray himself as more intelligent and therefore superior? Does he want attention?

by Anonymousreply 29August 20, 2019 8:34 PM

Do we know what Erna's pronouns are?

by Anonymousreply 30August 20, 2019 8:34 PM

R30, Erna used “we”.

by Anonymousreply 31August 20, 2019 8:36 PM

The royal "we?"

by Anonymousreply 32August 20, 2019 8:37 PM

The satanic “we.”

by Anonymousreply 33August 20, 2019 9:01 PM

It might be “wee”, now that you mention it. Oh, dear, indeed!

by Anonymousreply 34August 20, 2019 9:21 PM

Can we please declare a moratorium on “oh, dear” for obvious typos? It just seems unnecessary and I don’t like seeing a thread cluttered with pointless self corrections and “oh dears”. Otherwise, I love them.

by Anonymousreply 35August 20, 2019 9:23 PM

^ ITA. It's the grammar corrections that are interesting.

by Anonymousreply 36August 20, 2019 9:34 PM

[quote]OP: Neither way it makes me laugh.

Oh, dear.

The OP also needs to consult a dictionary (It's a reference to tell you word meanings, OP.) to see what "obsessively" actually means.

The claim that bad English can serve good content is the lazy plea of a dolt. There is a difference between easy and careless communication and the barf people yack up here, expecting consideration. We're not (usually) responding to dialect, localisms or cultural patois. We're managing the presumptive stench of proud illiteracy with a gentle sigh.

And if the culprits shudder, shriek and rage, that's what coddled nincompoops do, especially the ones who grew up demanding applause for making doo-doo for Mommy.

by Anonymousreply 37August 20, 2019 9:39 PM

It reads like you’ve really thought this through, R37.

by Anonymousreply 38August 21, 2019 12:24 AM

A person who says doo-doo and nincompoop in the same sentence sounds like a damn nightmare! R37

by Anonymousreply 39August 21, 2019 12:39 AM

[quote] I like to think it’s just one person

It's not just one person because I've done it a few times myself. I think it can be funny, at times.

by Anonymousreply 40August 21, 2019 1:38 AM

It is a game that anyone can play. It’s like a team sport for shut-in nerds.

by Anonymousreply 41August 21, 2019 1:44 AM

[quote]"One of the most beloved posters is the person known as Erna."

Maybe in the early 2000's but we figured out he was an anti-Semite with a seriously sketchy attitude toward young boys a good decade ago before he was even called Erna! Wonder who added that sentence?

by Anonymousreply 42August 21, 2019 1:20 PM

Just as beloved is the troll who tirelessly trawls DL for similar threads and conscientiously posts them.

by Anonymousreply 43August 26, 2019 7:00 PM

Can we change it to Ernst? He’s very nice.

by Anonymousreply 44August 26, 2019 7:03 PM

I’ve done it myself, although for non-grammatical reasons. “Oh dear” also serves as an appropriate response to histrionics.

by Anonymousreply 45August 26, 2019 7:07 PM

I've only done it a couple of times when the mistake was both outrageous and hilarious at the same time. I find it to be a cunty response otherwise and I usually just block those posters who do it.

by Anonymousreply 46August 26, 2019 7:12 PM

The most annoying troll is the one who points out that the thread you started can be found by doing a search. Even if the thread was 50 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 47August 26, 2019 7:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!