Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who should have won the 2006 Best Actress Oscar?

Was this a tight race? Should Barbara Covett have beat Betty Windsor?

by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2019 7:43 PM

I wasn't impressed by Mirren, and Streep was supporting in hers. Kate was all right, but it was really between Dench and Cruz for me.

by Anonymousreply 1August 19, 2019 6:56 PM

In retrospect, Dench. Mirren's win makes sense as the Academy eats films like that up. Meryl was probably the runner up, then Dench, then Winslet, then Cruz.

They're all Oscar winners now.

by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2019 7:04 PM

Love me some Babs! YOU'RE NOT YOUNG!

by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2019 7:11 PM

Meryl wasn't supporting - she was the Devil wearing Prada!

She elevated that farcical role into something serious and above the rest of the film. It's like there were 2 movies being made - the scenes without Meryl and those with her.

She took a C movie and made it an A-. It is an iconic character - nobody remembers hardly any of the other nominated performances.

by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2019 7:12 PM

R4 Streep may have been the title character and gotten first-billed due to her prestige, but the character was most definitely supporting. The movie has only one main character -- Andy!. She's in it from beginning to end, whereas Miranda disappears for long stretches as the film focuses on Andy's personal life (e.g., boyfriend, friends). In fact, Miranda is only seen on screen when Hathaway is around. All the drama in Miranda's life, including the breakup with her husband, happens off screen. We're not privy to any private moments with her, because she's NOT the main character.

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2019 7:20 PM

If a less renowned/esteemed actress had played the part, she would have been second-billed after Hathaway and gotten a Supporting nod.

by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2019 7:22 PM

R5 - I get your point, but there are some private moments with Miranda. There are films with co-leads and secondary leads.

It's not a formula with just 1 main character and the rest are minor - that doesn't always work.

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2019 7:28 PM

Dataloungers just love Streep in that role because they idolize Miranda Priestly.

by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2019 7:31 PM

I didn't say she was minor;she was supporting. She was important to the movie, but it was all Andy's journey. If anything, Miranda supported Andy in her quest.

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2019 7:31 PM

Dataloungers also love Dench in Notes on a Scandal. They wanna be Miranda, but they're really Barbara.

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2019 7:32 PM

[quote]there are some private moments with Miranda.

I don't recall any scenes with Miranda that didn't involve Andy in some way.

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2019 7:33 PM

R10 how do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2019 7:33 PM

R10 haha very true. We are much more like Babs.

R11 they added a scene where she chairs a meeting. It was added on purpose to show Miranda doing her thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2019 7:43 PM

I loved Helen Mirren, but Penelope Cruz was pretty spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2019 7:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!