Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Paper Moon - The Movie

The Tatum O'Neal thread got me thinking...I don't think I ever seen a thread on DL on Paper Moon. LOTS of DL-ish things/likes/topics in that film: Tatum O'Neal, Ryan O'Neal, Madeline Kahn, wonderful soundtrack, wonderful cinematography. What think you, my fellow DLers?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122August 24, 2019 5:18 PM

I loved Paper Moon when I saw it in theaters in 1973. Loved it on TV, loved it on cable TV, loved it on VHS and DVD. Don't love it as much now because I've seen it too many times.

by Anonymousreply 1August 19, 2019 1:44 PM

One of my favorite movies. Terrific performances by everyone involved. Tatum O'Neal was a wonder, and Madeline Kahn was both hilarious and heartbreaking. Bongdanovich really captured the starkness, sadness, and isolation of the 1930s depression era.

by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2019 1:47 PM

O'Neal is good but was apparently just parroting what she was fed from behind the camera.

by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2019 1:47 PM

It's a great movie. It's fun watching Tatum steal the movie from her father. It's also fun watching Madeleine Kahn steal the movie from everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2019 1:47 PM

Madeline Kahn's monologue. Superb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2019 1:48 PM

Yes. Madeline speech on the hill is Oscar-worthy

by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2019 1:52 PM

R6 She was nominated for her performance, but the Academy loved Tatum more.

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2019 1:54 PM

Yes, it's a perfect film of its kind, and holds up beautifully, perhaps because as a 30s film made in the 70s, it was already timeless. And all the performers were at their very best: Ryan was never more beautiful, Tatum was never as cute, and Madeline brought all her pathos and comedic genius to the role of Trixie. Even the small roles are perfectly cast: P.J. Johnson, who played Miss Trixie Delight's maid, was wonderful. It's the only film she ever acted in. And of course the beautiful and brilliant black-and-white cinematography by Lazlo Kovacs also sets the film apart. The 70s was a great era for American film-making.

by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2019 1:57 PM

Tragic that Tatum never got the chance to actually play Scout in Mockingbird.

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2019 1:58 PM

Tatum even admits that she was an excellent mimic, and that's what her performance in Paper Moon was. But it's very entertaining mimicry, humorous yet also touching, and there aren't many 9-year-olds who could have done what she did.

I agree with others who say it's timeless because it was made in the '70s yet captured perfectly the Zeitgeist of the '30s. I think this was Bog's last really great film.

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2019 2:20 PM

Peter Bagdonavich (don’t know spelling, sorry) was a master at capturing that era, and being accurately understated. I hate movies made in the 70’s/80’s that pasted modern sensibilities onto earlier eras. Especially puffy hair!!! I also am a fan of The Last Picture Show, which also has great performances. PB has a vision and knows how to get his actors to share it. I revisit both these movies annually and always see something new as well as having a different experience as I age. My distain for Cloris Leachmans character has transformed to great empathy!

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2019 2:26 PM

Why did you disdain Cloris’ Character?

by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2019 4:42 PM

R8: could not agree with you more. I man and DLer after my own heart...

by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2019 4:45 PM

Tatum was just phenomenal. Sad she got into hard drugs. A friend of mine used to get high with her. She looks amazing still considering how badly she road the white horse.

by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2019 4:57 PM

[R12] what I perceived as her weakness. Because I was twenty and not empathetic to aging people wanting and needing love.

by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2019 5:31 PM

One of my favorite scenes (of many...) in Paper Moon:

Imogene : You know the little white speck on top of chicken doo-doo?

Addie Loggins : Yeah.

Imogene : Well, that's the kind of white I think miss Trixie is. She's just like that little white speck on top of old chicken shit.

by Anonymousreply 16August 20, 2019 9:35 AM

A perfect movie. One of my all time favorites. Tatum gives the best performance ever by a child. She deserved Oscar (though probably for Best Actress not Supporting).

In any other year, Madeleine would have won.

by Anonymousreply 17August 20, 2019 11:14 AM

Lucky the O'Neals (Ryan, really) stayed away from that Peter Bogdanovich disaster At Long Last Love. Bogdanovich liked using the same actors in many of his films, like Robt Altman did, and I believe he wanted Ryan for the lead role eventually played by Burt Reynolds. His career would have ended much sooner.

by Anonymousreply 18August 20, 2019 2:17 PM

"Yes, Miss Trixie. Yes, Miss Trxie."

by Anonymousreply 19August 20, 2019 2:56 PM

“This little baby just got to give winky-tink!”

by Anonymousreply 20August 21, 2019 2:44 AM

The loved it and love Tatum O’Neal

by Anonymousreply 21August 21, 2019 2:52 AM

Tatum is a cute and phonetically pleasing name. I wonder why there's not a generation of little girls named Tatum.

by Anonymousreply 22August 21, 2019 8:10 AM

R17 That was an interesting year for the supporting Actress category. Odds-on favorite was Linda Blair for The Exorcist. Everybody was shocked at how talented she was, especially the control she had over her voice. Then a week before the ballots were mailed out, Mercedes McCambridge threw a fit and it was revealed that she was the voice behind Regan. McCambride was then given credit both on and off-screen. The timing of her announcement killed Blair's Oscar chances, thus the Award went to Tatum, (deservedly in my opinion as well). And I also agree she should have been lead.

by Anonymousreply 23August 21, 2019 8:18 AM

That's an interesting observation R22. I agree. I now want a new pet to call Tatum. Or a dude....

On a complete other note, Paper Moon is before my time but I am a Madeline Kahn fan fan fan. I think she was a joyful sad difficult funny girl. Not even totally wise to her own joke or gift. Dead serious about it all. A bit like Gilda Radner that way. Not easy people to know or love. Madeline had that fantastic singing ability that wasn't quite a legit soprano so she only leant it to novelty songs and comic performances. What a damn treat she was. Maybe one of the most honestly funny people ever. Just a lovely talent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 21, 2019 8:40 AM

The book it's based on, Addie Pray, is a book I must have read dozens of times. I also loved the movie and watched it several times.

I think the second half of the book (not included in the movie) would make a spectacular movie on it's own.

Or Hollywood could churn out a crap version.

You never know.

by Anonymousreply 25August 21, 2019 9:18 AM

Agree it's a terrific book.

by Anonymousreply 26August 21, 2019 9:23 AM

Tatum is going to be at The Chiller Show in Jersey in October. I'll be getting "Paper Moon" signed by her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 21, 2019 9:27 AM

R20 I’ve been using that line since I saw the movie as a teenager in 1974.

by Anonymousreply 28August 21, 2019 9:38 AM

Me, too R28. We must be about the same age...

by Anonymousreply 29August 21, 2019 9:42 AM

In 1993 Paper Mill Playhouse did "Paper Moon" the musical. Gregory Harrison was Moses, Christine Ebersole as Trixie, Natalie DeLucia as Addie and Chandra Wilson as Trixie's maid. Variety liked it but The Times didn't. It was supposed to go to Broadway and the marquee was up at the Marriott Marquee Theater but it never made it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 21, 2019 9:43 AM

The oddness of the name “Tatum” was part of her appeal at the time. I love how the movie looks - like it has a cool Instagram filter on it.

My favorite line: “Then GIT IT.”

by Anonymousreply 31August 21, 2019 9:44 AM

R29 ‘Fraid so. I have such great going-to-the-movies memories from that time - Billy Jack, American Graffiti, all the disaster movies. Good times.

by Anonymousreply 32August 21, 2019 9:47 AM

Loving our deep-dive O’Neal threads. What is it about them?

by Anonymousreply 33August 21, 2019 9:52 AM

Madeline was, and is, a GODDESS

by Anonymousreply 34August 21, 2019 9:55 AM

They're attractive and hot messes. That's a spellbinding combo.

by Anonymousreply 35August 21, 2019 9:57 AM

I never paid much attention to the O'Neals until reading these recent threads. So I went to YouTube and watched some of the Tatum and Ryan reality show. Well, that Tatum excretes an inappropriate obsession with her father. She simpers and pines for him and agonizes over how he's going to treat her next. It was sick and jarring. Meanwhile, Ryan could give a fuck, despite his protests to the contrary. It was/is the same push/pull dynamic you see in passionately dysfunctional romances between 20-somethings.

by Anonymousreply 36August 21, 2019 10:22 AM

Of course she pines for him. She wanted a Dad and he didn't have the ability to be one.

by Anonymousreply 37August 21, 2019 12:06 PM

R24, is English your first language? "On a complete other note, Paper Moon is before my time" Have you ever heard of television, DVDs or Netflix?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the short lived 1974 Paper Moon TV SERIES with Jodie Foster as Addie, and Ryan's old Peyton Place classmate Christopher Connelly as Moses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 21, 2019 1:13 PM

R36 Typical behavior of an adult victim of child abuse. Growing up thinking they've done something wrong to deserve their parent's neglect and/or violent treatment, they spend their adult lives trying to atone for it. It's all very sad.

by Anonymousreply 39August 21, 2019 1:16 PM

R24 ohhhhh yeaaahhhhh....... talk about forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 40August 21, 2019 1:16 PM

R38 I remember it. It wasn't very good. Although Christopher Connelly was a hot daddy. I just recently found out he died 31 years ago!

by Anonymousreply 41August 21, 2019 1:17 PM

When TV shows had opening credits

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 21, 2019 2:16 PM

Wasn't good, R41? IT WAS DREADFUL.

by Anonymousreply 43August 21, 2019 2:34 PM

It looks like they tried to imitate the movie too on the nose.

by Anonymousreply 44August 21, 2019 2:42 PM

Great, evocative song and performance by Gillian Welch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 21, 2019 2:44 PM

This Sunday. Do a double matinee of Paper Moon and What's up Doc. Bagdonavich was on fire in the earlly 70's! These two movies are both so good. And fuckin' Ryan O'neal was so fuckin' hot. Shirtless in boxers in a lot of What's up, Dock! I've never felt more gay than when I watched Whats Up, Doc!

by Anonymousreply 46August 21, 2019 3:06 PM

What happens in the second half of the book not in the fil

Who wrote the screenplay?

by Anonymousreply 47August 21, 2019 3:12 PM

R46, check out O'Neal in The Thief Who Came to Dinner (1973). The movie seems to have been made so Ryan could go through it shirtless. It's a terrible movie otherwise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 21, 2019 3:16 PM

[quote]It's a terrible movie otherwise.

Just terrible? Not DREADFUL!?

by Anonymousreply 49August 21, 2019 3:39 PM

I don't have much of a DVD collection, only about 20 movies I like to revisit a few times a year. I just realized Ryan is in three of them: Paper Moon, What's Up, Doc and Barry Lyndon. More than any other movie star.

by Anonymousreply 50August 21, 2019 3:55 PM

Barry Lyndon! TOTALLY forgot about that flick. Gorgeous photography/cinematography - but other than that, not too great a movie. Music was OK (if you like 18th Century marching music and flutes

by Anonymousreply 51August 21, 2019 4:11 PM

Totally off topic but how in the fuck is Wilfred Brimley still alive?! (See r27’s link)

by Anonymousreply 52August 21, 2019 4:43 PM

My brother and I loved Paper Moon when we were kids in the 1970s. When we found out it was going to be a TV series, we were so excited. Then we watched it and we couldn't believe how much it sucked. And for R49, it was DREADFUL!

by Anonymousreply 53August 21, 2019 4:48 PM

Yes, R51. they should have had a Springsteen score for that one.

by Anonymousreply 54August 21, 2019 4:59 PM

[quote]otally off topic but how in the fuck is Wilfred Brimley still alive?!

He was never as old as he looked. He was only 50 when he shot "Cocoon" and not even old enough to be in the senior community.

by Anonymousreply 55August 21, 2019 9:23 PM

" I wonder why there's not a generation of little girls named Tatum."

Maybe because it's an ugly named (and it is). And I don't think many people would want to name their little girl after an obnoxious, druggie Hollywood brat.

by Anonymousreply 56August 21, 2019 9:36 PM

Ryan O'Neal was so gorgeous, but every time i see him , I can't stop to think that he probably killed Farrah Fawcett by giving her the HPV, which turned into the Anal Cancer, which killed her, because she couldn't bear the idea of living with a colostomy bag.! It's traumatizing to imagine Charlie's number one Angel, pooping in a ziplock bag the rest of her life, but at least she'd still be alive!!!!

(sigh).

by Anonymousreply 57August 21, 2019 9:38 PM

Here, abWW for you r57!

by Anonymousreply 58August 21, 2019 10:22 PM

r52 WILFORD, not Wilfred.

by Anonymousreply 59August 21, 2019 10:58 PM

Wilford's been busy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 21, 2019 11:50 PM

Jesus, could Jodie Foster be any more butch?

by Anonymousreply 61August 22, 2019 12:28 AM

^ yeah, she was like a boy, a overly actorish little wind-up boy

by Anonymousreply 62August 22, 2019 12:39 AM

"What happens in the second half of the book not in the fil(m)?"

In the book, they up their game and start doing more sophisticated cons. They make more money and travel in wealthier circles.

They meet an infamous con artist (based on a real life big time con) who involves them in a scheme to defraud a wealthy old woman who has a missing presumed dead granddaughter that Addie impersonates.

I'm not going to post spoilers. I could see given the change in their circumstances and the complicated plot involving the old woman it would be too much for one movie. Also, by that point Addie is in her early teens.

by Anonymousreply 63August 22, 2019 2:19 AM

I hated this film. It helped garner Tatum O'Neal a very undeserved Oscar just because she was a snot-nosed child!

by Anonymousreply 64August 22, 2019 2:23 AM

I don't know how well a movie version of the book "Addie Pray" would go over today. It's about a con artist and his little girl accomplice who may or may not be his daughter; the two of them roam around, fleecing people out of their money (during the depression!). Their "Bible" scheme involves fleecing WIDOWS, for God's sake. Mose looks in newspapers for recent obituaries and shows up at the widow's house saying her husband had placed on order for a Bible embossed with "gold lettering", especially for her, but there's still a payment left, so would she be so kind as to pay the rest of the money owed? Some fall for it, some don't. One poor woman weeps and falls for it hook, line and sinker; old Mose charges her double what he usually asks and she pays it willingly. The poor woman (who is crying tears as "big as horse turds" the foul mouthed Addie notes) gives Addie some home made gingerbread and tells her that once she had a little girl like her, but like her recently deceased husband, she "went away too." They get back in the car after their big score and Addie starts to have a strange feeling she's never had before...REMORSE. Enraged that she's actually feeling regret for what she and Mose normally do, she throws the gingerbread out the window and starts cursing a blue streak, cursing the poor widow. Mose simply comments that she ought not talk "thataway." It was a VERY disturbing scene. Later on they get involved in an elaborate scheme to fleece an elderly old woman out of her fortune. Would this be considered funny these days? I don't really think so.

by Anonymousreply 65August 22, 2019 3:06 AM

It's the best acting Tatum O'neal has ever performed. (Which is sad, really) She won, because the movie was very popular and had rave reviews. Plus, clearly there was a book that the public loved (I didn't know it was an adaptation of a book ) Bogdonavich was the hotest director next to Mel Brooks at that time. It was PR and marketing that is responsible for her winning.

by Anonymousreply 66August 22, 2019 3:22 AM

I have to admit I've never seen the full film Paper Moon. I was such a Madeline Kahn fan that I would just watch her scenes, which are brilliant. One time I tried to watch the film from start to finish (years ago) and I got impatient and just skimmed to Kahn's scenes once again.

I believe now is the time for me to watch it in it's entirety. I've grown much more patient with films as I've grown older.

by Anonymousreply 67August 22, 2019 3:57 AM

Just wanted to throw out another mention for PJ Johnson as Imogene. She was never going to get nominated like the other two (although she did get a NSFC Supporting Actress mention), but I think it's such a funny and poignant performance. Her timing with some of the dialogue is impeccable, especially the zingers, and she also has a natural weariness on her face that is very moving. A beautiful portrait of what life was like for a young black maid during the depression, that didn't have to be glum or completely depressing to make a point.

Loved the ending for her character. Sad she never made another movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 22, 2019 4:21 AM

In Tatum’s bio, she mentions a sequel called Nickelodeon or something. It was made but never released.

by Anonymousreply 69August 22, 2019 4:25 AM

Nickelodeon most certainly was made (by Bogdanovich) but it has nothing to do with Paper Moon.

by Anonymousreply 70August 22, 2019 4:33 AM

PJ Johnson was indeed great. Wonder what she’s up to today?

There is something creepy about the premise of a grown man traveling around with a little girl. I guess they got away with it because it was so heavily implied he was her father. Nowadays we’d all be thinking the worst.

by Anonymousreply 71August 22, 2019 4:39 AM

Single dads everywhere are appalled at what was just stated

by Anonymousreply 72August 22, 2019 4:41 AM

R67 ! This why I said to watch on a sunday morning with a cup of coffee. Wine ruins movies for me. I start getting impatient, too. I discovered that I loved watching old movies on sunday mornings with coffee and brunch, a blanket and pillows. It's my church. The pace is deliberate. The cutting of the editing was inspired by silent films and it's reflective of Little Rascals shorts,( if you've ever seen them.) It's black and white for this reason. (more homage to that era) . If anything, take some adderall and watch this movie! You'll love it!

by Anonymousreply 73August 22, 2019 4:43 AM

"Later on they get involved in an elaborate scheme to fleece an elderly old woman out of her fortune. Would this be considered funny these days?"

Considering how that particular scheme plays out, people would not have a problem with that today nor would they have in the 70's. Remember, Paper Moon was released during the Watergate era and there was plenty of interest in seeing every day corruption as opposed to the nicey-nice Hays Code version that was imposed on Hollywood back in the 30s. The book and movie especially made a point of saying that the majority of times Mose and Addie were preying on the stupid and greedy--people who thought they were going to get something for nothing. Instead they got fleeced.

There is a "Robin Hood" undercurrent to the story. In the book, Mose is passing himself off as a farmer and they have a truck that they load with grain and other props to make themselves look legit. When the truck gets full, Addie makes Mose drop off the grain, etc. at sharecroppers' cabins along the way.

The film "Nickelodeon" was released and it bombed. It had nothing to do with the Addie Pray book or the characters therein. It was about the very early days of Hollywood and surely it was greenlit because of Paper Moon since it starred Tatum and Ryan O'Neal and it was a period piece.

I was very disappointed in it.

by Anonymousreply 74August 22, 2019 5:41 AM

I love that there are other people in this world who like this movie. When I was in film school, in the 90's, I brought up this movie up to my fellow students, and was met with blank stares. It bummed me out! But, to be fair, a fellow student was passionate about Bob Fosse's "All that Jazz" and I had no clue what she was yammering on about!

by Anonymousreply 75August 22, 2019 6:08 AM

Loved it when it came out and I was a kid, but haven't been able to bring myself to watch the DVD I bought in a fit of nostaligia years ago--too much melancholy, I think.

by Anonymousreply 76August 22, 2019 6:20 AM

No one named their kids Tatum because Tatum sounds like the Aldi store brand version of Tato Skins.

by Anonymousreply 77August 22, 2019 6:40 AM

Is Tatum the singular of Tater?

by Anonymousreply 78August 22, 2019 7:41 AM

Tatum won because Hollywood loved her performance - pure and simple. She was charming and funny and touching.

There was no campaigning back then and almost no PR efforts. And she was only 9 so there wasn’t much she could have done anyway.

Same with Anna Paquin in The Piano. She won because voters thought she actually deserved it.

by Anonymousreply 79August 22, 2019 11:15 AM

Has that ever happened to a child of color?

by Anonymousreply 80August 22, 2019 12:32 PM

What, an Oscar? Yes, Quvenzhané Wallis.

by Anonymousreply 81August 22, 2019 1:39 PM

PJ Johnson was not an actress, she was one of the locals Bogdanovich hired - there were many in the film, which was a great idea because they were so natural and real looking, such as the store cashier Addie cons with the $20 bill.

"There was no campaigning back then and almost no PR efforts"

Untrue. Studios bought "for your consideration" ad in the trade papers to push actors for nominations.

"Plus, clearly there was a book that the public loved"

Untrue again. No one (or nearly no one) had heard of the book before the movie.

"Bogdonavich was the hotest director next to Mel Brooks at that time"

Ha ha! Bogdanovich was grouped with real artists of the "New Hollywood" in the early 1970s like Frances Ford Coppola (The Godfather) and William Friedkin (The French Connection), not Mel Brooks (???) . In fact, Bogdanovich, Coppola and Friedkin formed a production company called The Directors Company. Paper Moon was one of the films made for the ultimately unsuccessful company.

by Anonymousreply 82August 22, 2019 2:21 PM

For your consideration ads in Variety did not win Tatum her well deserved Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 83August 22, 2019 3:02 PM

Tatum winning. Her asshole parents didn’t even bother to attend the Oscars with her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84August 22, 2019 3:07 PM

Daddy was in Europe making Barry Lyndon, Mummy was probably passed out on the floor. Tatum went with her beloved grandparents - Ryan's. Funny when they showed nominee Candy Clark in the audience, they got the wrong woman.

by Anonymousreply 85August 22, 2019 3:20 PM

Sadly, the last good film Peter made. And fuck off, "Mask" is not a good film.

by Anonymousreply 86August 22, 2019 3:28 PM

[quote]Untrue. Studios bought "for your consideration" ad in the trade papers to push actors for nominations.

C'mon if you are old enough to know about the "for your consideration" ads you know that was the extent of it. They didn't "campaigns" have screening and dinners where the stars would mingle and go on every talk show on the air. She made the cover of Rolling Stone in July '73 because people loved her performance, The Oscars weren't until the following April '74.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87August 22, 2019 4:28 PM

You are correct, R87, there was extensive promotion to Academy members in addition to those ads.

"She made the cover of Rolling Stone in July '73 because people loved her performance"

Um, no. Tatum made covers of magazines because publicists made it happen through Paramount's PR machine. It wouldn't have happened unless the movie was a hit and there was interest in the star. These magazine cover stories do not happen randomly because someone is "liked."

by Anonymousreply 88August 22, 2019 5:17 PM

R82 = Sylvia Sidney

by Anonymousreply 89August 22, 2019 5:40 PM

R84 I remember that night, being around the same age as Tatum and slightly envious of her. That little tux was so chic, caused quite the sensation. I thought she was terribly sweet and poised. Who's the old coot guiding her at the end of the clip?

by Anonymousreply 90August 22, 2019 5:44 PM

I liked Mask. It was more or less a made-for-TV script, but well done.

by Anonymousreply 91August 22, 2019 5:45 PM

Mask is a terrible movie with a bad performance from Cher. The kid's face looks like a homemade Halloween effort. Laura Dern is lovely in it, but I'll bet she's not proud of it. She's a real actress, not the convenient blind chick.

by Anonymousreply 92August 22, 2019 6:10 PM

Yes, it is the PR machine which gets people on the covers of Magazines.

I worked in that world for a short time and finding out how it works was fascinating. They have major lead time before mags come out. It takes Months and months. They know Angelina Jolie will be on their cover 6 months in advance, because they need the time to sell as much advertising as possible. At Vanity Fair, you'll notice a cover with say, Jennifer Aniston will have more advertisements in it than say Zendaya (Or insert any up and coming actress with buzz). The mag will be physically thicker from all the ad pages. I always think it's funny when Vanity Fair is super thin, because it's obvious that the advertisers weren't impressed with who was on the cover.

Also Publicists will secure a cover for a big client, by offering other clients for articles (or covers for other mags owned by the publishers) or offer the big client themselves for other mags. Essentially, two for the price of one, deals.

by Anonymousreply 93August 22, 2019 6:45 PM

"The book and movie especially made a point of saying that the majority of times Mose and Addie were preying on the stupid and greedy--people who thought they were going to get something for nothing. Instead they got fleeced."

As I recall in the book they fleece whoever they think they can get money out of; not just the "stupid and greedy." The poor widow crying tears "as big as horse turds" was neither. Neither were the cashiers who got gypped. Mose and Addie were remorseless thieves, unrepentant drifters. And then there was the propriety of him using a little girl in his schemes and teaching her fine art of lying and stealing. Maybe in the seventies all this would be considered "cute" but I don't think it would be today.

by Anonymousreply 94August 22, 2019 6:53 PM

Thanks for posting the info, R93. Fascinating! Jack Nicholson was on the cover of time in Aug 1974, and I remember reading that his people were afraid it wouldn't make it because everyone expected Nixon would resign any day. That can happen with a news magazine cover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95August 22, 2019 6:56 PM

Bogdanovich's first wife Polly Platt was heavily involved with his early pictures. She even contributed after they divorced and he took up with Cybill Shepherd. Once they split professionally, his work was never the same.

by Anonymousreply 96August 22, 2019 7:07 PM

Platt helped produce Broadcast News, Bottle Rocket, and War of the Roses, among other well-known films. She also gave her buddy James L. Brooks one of Matt Groening's cartoon strips and suggested they meet and that Brooks produce a show based on Groening's work, an act which, eventually, led to the Simpsons. I think in some ways she was more culturally influential than Bogdanovich.

by Anonymousreply 97August 22, 2019 7:10 PM

It’s interesting O’Neal played a fictionalized version of Bogdonovich in Irreconcilable Differences. I’m guessing they didn’t end on good terms after working together.

by Anonymousreply 98August 22, 2019 7:17 PM

R97 Bogdonavich release and autobiography this past year, i think. Did you read it? Any good?

by Anonymousreply 99August 22, 2019 7:19 PM

Are you referring to this, R99? It will be out in a few weeks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100August 22, 2019 7:35 PM

I wonder if Bogdanovich's bio will be as self-serving as the Killing of the Unicorn (about the death of Dorothy Stratten) was.

I think Teresa Carpenter's Village Voice article on Dorothy Stratten is the best and truest account of her life and death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101August 22, 2019 7:45 PM

We had a thread on this interview earlier this year.

Bogdanovich had a brilliant streak that came to a near halt.

What’s most amazing about him in 2019 is his lack of self-awareness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102August 22, 2019 8:57 PM

A true classic though runs out of steam in final Act. Should have been up for Best Picture that year (instead of "Touch of Class", for one).

by Anonymousreply 103August 22, 2019 9:05 PM

It was like a father-daughter buddy movie. Sad to find out that he was basically a deadbeat dad IRL, too. Life imitates art?

by Anonymousreply 104August 22, 2019 9:10 PM

Who doesn't LURV the O'Neals, Hollywood's First Family. More more more!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105August 22, 2019 9:23 PM

"Mose and Addie were remorseless thieves, unrepentant drifters. And then there was the propriety of him using a little girl in his schemes and teaching her fine art of lying and stealing. Maybe in the seventies all this would be considered "cute" but I don't think it would be today."

Isn't there a small adorable dog you need to destroy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106August 23, 2019 1:47 AM

I always assumed Bogdonavich was gay. He was so smug, pompous and such a shade tosser! And that neck scarf!!! He came across gayer than Jon Waters at times. (I wish they would do a movie together as two old gay queens and play the leads.)

But SHOCKINGLY, he is straight!!!! (eye roll) (raised eyebrow) (clear my throat) (powder my nose) (suck my teeth)

by Anonymousreply 107August 23, 2019 3:15 AM

Bogdanovitch was just short of shockingly unattractive, but didn't want to dress like the equally specific and homely Spielberg or Scorsese or Woody. They all have signature styles R107. But you're right about John Waters and Bogdanovitch making a great cartoon twosome. That's as far as it could go because Peter has no sense of fun or humor about himself.

by Anonymousreply 108August 23, 2019 3:23 AM

R108 You're right. If he had a sense of humor, he would be gay. No question. Cuz, he's halfway there.

by Anonymousreply 109August 23, 2019 3:27 AM

Bogdanovitch was OBSESSED with old movies in the 1970s. He even called movies "pictures," which went out twenty years before. I always figured he was trying to look the part of an old movie director, a director circa 1938. Or was trying to.

by Anonymousreply 110August 23, 2019 3:38 PM

Astonishing man, Ryan O’Neal is, thinking he serves credit for never sleeping with Tatum. He had enough warmth to pull her in though.

No wonder she never stood a chance.

by Anonymousreply 111August 23, 2019 4:12 PM

Oscars Rewind: A Charming Win Filled With Drama and Rancor....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112August 23, 2019 7:56 PM

Ryan didn't accompany her to the Oscars because he was in England filming Barry Lyndon.

by Anonymousreply 113August 23, 2019 7:58 PM

If they make a sequel, it should be called "Cardboard Sky."

by Anonymousreply 114August 24, 2019 2:54 AM

Please, everyone uses the excuse that Ryan was filming Barry Lyndon for his absence at the Oscars.

He could have flown back for the event if he had WANTED to, he was a big star. And Barry Lyndon shot for 300 days so that makes it even more of a lame excuse.

He was pissed he didn't get a nom and Tatum did. period.

by Anonymousreply 115August 24, 2019 3:20 AM

Wasn't this all about 50 years ago? Who gives a rusty fuck.

by Anonymousreply 116August 24, 2019 3:24 AM

Is DL now 50% Ryan O'Neil posts? What the fuck?

by Anonymousreply 117August 24, 2019 3:26 AM

[quote]If they make a sequel, it should be called "Cardboard Sky."

I meant cardboard SEA, of course.

by Anonymousreply 118August 24, 2019 3:27 AM

P.J. Johnson also appeared in an episode of the Paper Moon sitcom and as Dairy Queen Waitress in Texasville, Bogdonovich's sequel to The Last Picture Show

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119August 24, 2019 3:48 AM

Has anyone seen Texasbille?

by Anonymousreply 120August 24, 2019 3:49 AM

Just popped "Paper Moon" in the DVD, for probably my 10th viewing. Tatum is so adorable.

by Anonymousreply 121August 24, 2019 5:17 PM

Part of it was the haircut. In the same way that short hair made the kid from "Fatal Attraction" extra cute.

by Anonymousreply 122August 24, 2019 5:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!