Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Last Night Of The Proms

It looks like it’s a pretty patriotic-oriented affair, though I hear Brexit opponents and proponents use the occasion to protest.

What’s it like in person, if you’ve ever been?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2019 9:19 AM

It would be nice if the Anglosphere had a song to unify the people of those countries.

by Anonymousreply 1August 19, 2019 10:15 AM

I believe such a song would begin "Whitesland, Whitesland über alles"

by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2019 10:34 AM

The Anglosphere is very multiracial.

by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2019 10:59 AM

The Proms in general are a pretty awesome affair. Here's the entirety of the UK including those miserable bastards in Glasgow and Norn singing along to Mary Poppins

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2019 11:13 AM

I love to watch concerts from The Proms just to see conductor John Wilson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2019 12:15 PM

carrying on, without keeping calm

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2019 2:26 PM

They sing a handful of traditional things in the second half of the last night, but its all cheerful and international, with flags of all nations usually represented and there have always been EU flags, from before Brexit was even a thing. The often get a major opera star to sing Rule Britannia. Jonas Kaufmann was a bit dull, but Juan Diego Flores was great, with a much more flexible voice and dressed as an Inca emperor.

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2019 4:59 PM

The queer girl with a nose ring brings down the house. Last night at the Albert Hall...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2019 10:26 PM

[quote] It would be nice if the Anglosphere had a song to unify the people of those countries.

Tehe. You know what that song is. See R6.

by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2019 10:29 PM

Tap Your Troubles Away!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2019 10:46 PM

Land of 'Ope and Glory

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2019 10:54 PM

How does one get tickets to the Proms?

by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2019 11:04 PM

Well, the rainbow flag contrasts nicely with the huge black dress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 16, 2019 2:45 AM

I have the Nina Simone Proms to watch, but as scared, often find the singing proms use fucking awful singers that ruin the songs

by Anonymousreply 14September 16, 2019 2:50 AM

Just added Last Night at the Proms to my bucket list.

by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2019 4:16 AM

Of course, Owen Jones finds it deeply problematic.

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2019 4:32 PM

R8 I love her ! I remember watching a young artist documentary following her, Kiera Duffy, Angela Meade , and the black guy who won but died shortly thereafter.

She was my favorite of the competition. I'm glad to see she's doing well .

by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2019 5:03 PM

I have been to Proms in the Park. We just applied locally for tickets. It was a fantastic occasion. To get into the actual Royal Albert Hall as a Prommer - those standing - you have to queue. The standing tickets are less than £10 I think. The Proms in the Park round the country are a great way to join in though. I also went to some of the Prom concerts over the summer. Very lovely and civilised affairs. I watched at home this time while drinking Pimms.

by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2019 5:56 PM

R17 - was the documentary about aspiring opera singers? I think I saw what you're referring to (because I remember the black guy - didn't know he died, though - RIP) and it sort of came back to me when I saw her performance the other night but I was thinking, "What's the chance of that?"

Pretty good, I guess. I thought she was great Saturday night, and not just for "Over the Rainbow."

by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2019 6:01 PM

It's wonderful to think that all true lovers of country and true patriots know the words to the national songs. It shows how much they care and how much it isn;t all about them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 16, 2019 6:23 PM

Audiences which come alive are the best. Music is the catalyst.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2019 6:28 PM

Hated the Soprano. Way way too slow, jesus , rainbow was a dirge. And what was up with her tongue?

by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2019 9:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!