Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WATCHING MY FAIR LADY ON TCM NOW. DID PROF. HIGGINS AND ELIZA EVER FUCK? SHE COULD HAVE HAD FREDDIE .

I suppose they did . After all , they are British .

by Anonymousreply 25August 24, 2019 2:39 AM

mmm, young Jeremy Brett.

by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2019 11:53 PM

I thought there were two possible versions and in one she's goes off with Freddy. That is more satisfying and better for today's audience. I'm watching it too.

by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2019 11:54 PM

[quote]That is more satisfying and better for today's audience.

R2 How do you figure?

by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2019 11:56 PM

EWWWWW, no

by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2019 11:59 PM

I always lol when he calls her a squashed cabbage leaf.

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2019 12:04 AM

She marries Freddy.

Shaw wrote a witheringly awesome essay about this because he couldn't believe people were moronic enough to believe she would go for the professor.

by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2019 12:06 AM

Higgins is a monster, which his mother knows. Here is a review of a better version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2019 12:06 AM

Here you go--Shaw's sequel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2019 12:08 AM

[quote]She marries Freddy.

Not in MY FAIR LADY nor the 1930s film written by Shaw.

PYGMALION and MFL are not one and the same; they're two different animals.

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2019 12:09 AM

Therefore, whatever essay Shaw wrote is a moot point.

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2019 12:10 AM

Yeah, he literally thought it didn't need to be shown in action because it was obvious.

Here is what the author wrote about his own story--

"THE rest of the story need not be shown in action, and indeed, would hardly need telling if our imaginations were not so enfeebled by their lazy dependence on the ready-mades and reach-me-downs of the ragshop in which Romance keeps its stock of "happy endings" to misfit all stories. "

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2019 12:12 AM

Nevertheless, MY FAIR LADY and PYGMALION are not interchangeable. The former is inspired by the latter, but their creators had different intentions for the characters.

by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2019 12:19 AM

Shaw got it right. He was a genius after all Thank you R8. (Also Higgens is on the spectrum.)

by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2019 12:22 AM

Professor Higgins is obnoxious and will never treat her right. She needs to bolt.

by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2019 12:28 AM

Freddy was as gay as Eliza's Embassy ball gown.

by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2019 1:51 AM

R15 that's because Jeremy Brett was gay!

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2019 1:53 AM

Col. Pickering ended up as Freddy's sugar daddy.

by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2019 1:57 AM

These are great answers ., OP .

by Anonymousreply 18August 23, 2019 9:20 PM

The beautiful voice of Jordan Donica.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 23, 2019 9:28 PM

The most important question is, who is better hung? Does Higgins have sizemeat, or does Freddy? Or do they both?

by Anonymousreply 20August 23, 2019 9:37 PM

OP, they're not real people.

by Anonymousreply 21August 23, 2019 9:37 PM

Higgings was a genius but a monster, incapable of empathy. In today's terms he might be said to be a sociopath or narcissist, or to have Asperger's Syndrome or some other autism spectrum disorder. But Shaw didn't want to diagnose him, the intent was that he was brilliant, but inhuman and destructive, and if Eliza had stayed with him he'd have destroyed his creation once he'd finished making it. When Eliza took Higgins up on his offer to change her speech and her life she knew damn well she was playing with fire and was probably going to get burned, or thrown out on the street when Higgins tired of her new toy, but she was brave enough to take the one offer she'd ever had that might genuinely improve her life.

Plus, Higgins is probably gay. And why am I the first to say that, I ask?

Freddie is the big flaw in the play, in every single version. He's supposed to be a better alternative than Higgins, someone kind and loving, someone who'd let Eliza be her fabulous self. But he's written as such a boring, vapid, useless posh dullard, that ever since the play's inception, audiences have preferred to match Eliza with Higgins. At least Higgins has wit and charisma, while Freddie has nothing.

by Anonymousreply 22August 23, 2019 11:20 PM

come to me, Freddie Einsford-Hill. i speak the new small talk well.

by Anonymousreply 23August 23, 2019 11:25 PM

[quote]But he's written as such a boring, vapid, useless posh dullard

Not to mention, superficial. When Freddy first runs into Eliza (quite literally) in the first scene, he's apologetic but he doesn't really notice her, since she's in rags. But when he first spots her at Mrs. Higgins' at-home tea party (or the Ascot Races in the musical), he immediately falls head over heels in love with her. And he doesn't realize she's a common flower girl, never mind the very one he knocked over.

by Anonymousreply 24August 23, 2019 11:55 PM

Here, here, young man! What is you sniggering at! I bet I got it right.

by Anonymousreply 25August 24, 2019 2:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!