Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Chances Are (1989)

"After All"- the theme song to "Chances Are"- made a bigger impact than the movie, and was nominated for an Academy Award and Golden Globe for best original song.

Cybill Shepherd is only sixteen years older than Mary Stuart Masterson, who plays her daughter in "Chances Are."

The on-screen chemistry of Cybill Shepherd and Robert Downey, Jr. reflected an off-screen rapport that developed as Shepherd helped Downey ease into his role. Downey said, "Cybill helped me to take my time at what I was doing. She taught me that I didn't have to be talking every minute, 'It's alright if you just look at me for five seconds and don't say anything."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 25, 2019 12:51 AM

Rob Lowe turned down the role before Robert Downey Jr. was cast.

by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2019 5:08 AM

I like this movie.

by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2019 5:13 AM

I haven’t seen it since it came out... wasn’t there some sort of queasy plot device where the character RDJ played was reincarnated and ended up with his own daughter?

by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2019 5:13 AM

I loved this movie when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2019 5:17 AM

This is the movie where the father ends up fucking the daughter, right?

I enjoyed it!

by Anonymousreply 5August 18, 2019 5:35 AM

"After All" - Cher & Peter Cetera

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2019 6:16 AM

I love that song.

by Anonymousreply 7August 18, 2019 6:55 AM

What the hell is wrong with you? We want to hear the song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 18, 2019 6:59 AM

This is when the movie “The Player” kicks in for me. It’s sounds lighthearted and a studio will ‘green light’ it! But put a moment of thought into it must be difficult. Have the premise, have the stars...boom, movie magic.

by Anonymousreply 9August 18, 2019 7:16 AM

I love the song After All with Cher and Peter Cetera. I briefly worked with Cetera while he was on tour. He told a cute little story about how great it was to sing with Cher, and then sang the song solo.. He did a great job and had a symphony orchestra backing him up. Loved my brief time with him, great singer.

Cher also includes After All in her concerts. Beautiful ballad.

by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2019 7:23 AM

Ryan O'Neal and Cybill Shepherd Stories

by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2019 8:05 AM

[quote] She taught me that I didn't have to be talking every minute, 'It's alright if you just look at me for five seconds and don't say anything."

Bitch, please.

by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2019 9:22 AM

This was actually a pretty good movie

by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2019 9:44 AM

This was the first movie I saw where Robert Downey Jr. was subdued, and not his usual manic performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2019 4:51 PM

I thought Cybill was really good in this role and she's so rarely any good at all that it took me by surprise. A pleasant little movie.

by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2019 8:17 PM

[quote]What the hell is wrong with you? We want to hear the song.

Thanks to Steven Spielberg, the first thing that pops up in my mind whenever I hear the song is the child abduction scene in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind." He used it to very terrifying effect there.

by Anonymousreply 16August 18, 2019 8:31 PM

Also very much liked this movie. And the song.

by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2019 9:51 PM

It was a top ten hit despite the fact that there was no video for the song. It was a pure radio hit, which was rare at the time when MTV was so huge.

Cher turned down the invite to go and sing it at the Oscars because she had done the Oscars for the last several years and just wanted a break from it.

by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2019 9:58 PM

Of all those dreadful Peter Cetera radio songs in the 80s, this is the only fairly decent one

by Anonymousreply 19August 18, 2019 11:09 PM

Creepy movie.

Cybill and Ryan know the dead guy is fucking his own daughter in the end are perfectly fine with it.

by Anonymousreply 20August 18, 2019 11:21 PM

I thought I was alone loving the song After All. I disagree with r19, Peter Cetera has some great duets that are also get added into my playlists. Even the duet with Crystal Bernard, Forever Tonight.

With Any Grant, Next Time I Fall In Love.

by Anonymousreply 21August 18, 2019 11:47 PM

This was when Robert Downey, Jr. was an actual actor.

by Anonymousreply 22August 19, 2019 12:18 AM

At least Cybil didn't fall for nasty Ryan O'Neal.

by Anonymousreply 23August 19, 2019 12:22 AM

DL fav Susan Ruttan had a cameo in this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 19, 2019 12:22 AM

r23 didnt see the movie.

by Anonymousreply 25August 19, 2019 4:00 AM

Why the HELL isn't “Chances Are” the theme song to “Chances Are?”

That’s like making a movie called “Stairway to Heaven” and using “Green Grass and High Tides” as the theme song!

by Anonymousreply 26August 19, 2019 4:14 AM

It's interesting how in 1989 Cher had two top ten hits with songs that had no videos. This song and Just Like Jesse James. She hated the latter and refused to do a video for it, and yet it became a hit for her.

I think Cybill was very good in this. I loved her in Moonlighting.

It's hard to believe there was a point when Robert Downey Jr had a whole filmography before Iron Man.

by Anonymousreply 27August 19, 2019 5:18 AM

Just Like Jesse James - rare original video

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 19, 2019 5:24 AM

Cybill Shepherd was good in the film, warm and appealing. But the whole plot resolution of Robert Downey Jr. ending up with his daughter was weird.

by Anonymousreply 29August 19, 2019 11:25 AM

R29 how so? I thought it was touching.

by Anonymousreply 30August 19, 2019 1:27 PM

Incest is best. Keep it in the family.

by Anonymousreply 31August 19, 2019 2:49 PM

R30, the Downey character was the reincarnation of Mary Stuart Masterson’s father, and (if memory serves) they ended up together.

by Anonymousreply 32August 19, 2019 6:35 PM

One has to wonder why they thought that was a better ending rather than just letting the story be about the power of true love, fighting against the universe, and having Downey and Shepherd ending up together.

by Anonymousreply 33August 19, 2019 10:02 PM

Ryan & Farrah & Robert & Cybill & Mary

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 25, 2019 12:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!