Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Live To Tell

I am not,nor have ever been a Madonna fan. HOWEVER. I quite like her "voice" and Live To Tell is a MASTERPIECE.

I love the end of the song when you have Madonna's soprano voice layered with her normal voice.

The truth is never far behind, you've kept it hidden well- If I live to TELL... All in the last 60 seconds....

Just beautiful... Love that song... Truly a classic. And she had SOMETHING in her voice. She doesn't get any credit.

by Anonymousreply 104August 31, 2020 1:47 PM

It’s my favorite of hers

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2019 10:53 PM

OP, it is her best ballad. It should have more views on youtube than it does. I will say the demo is painful to listen to, she cannot stay on key.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2019 10:54 PM

A smart move at the time, because she got away from the lingerie, bracelets, etc, that was defining her image. Cyndi Lauper wasn't so fortunate.

A shame she lost that ability to gouge the public's reaction, though. It was her best asset.

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2019 10:55 PM

I'm a Madonna fan, but this was not one of my favorites. I can understand it's worth though.

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2019 10:56 PM

I'll give her some credit OP. It's a good song.

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2019 10:58 PM

Other great Madonna ballads: Crazy For You, I'll Remember and You'll See. This Used to be My Playground is schmaltz. Oh Father is OK, but it has a "made for lifetime tv" quality to it.

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2019 10:58 PM

And when I tell you that I am NOT a fan- I AM NOT. However, I liked her voice which most people feel she doesn't even have. And this song fits her limited range. And the last minute is BEAUTIFUL (And I love the film, as well- At Close Range)

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2019 11:04 PM

The Look of Love is the one that gets zero credit. Hauntingly beautiful, and the opening segment of this extended version with its sparse keyboard notes and tribal drums is just amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2019 11:04 PM

The difference between demo and “completed” version shows you how much magic they could do even in the ‘80s to smooth out a multitude of her vocal sins.

I’ve loved this song in particular because it is so well-produced. It’s a joy to hear her sound on-key and strong (on the slick version).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2019 11:06 PM

I'm not even game enough to listen to the demo version.

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2019 11:09 PM

Got me through a MAJOR heartbreak as a young gayling. 10 years later, "Frozen" got me through another one. Which is why I will always love and appreciate Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2019 11:13 PM

Am I on crack??

The demo isn't bad at all? Her voice cracks at the very end-

OMG, I loved Frozen as well R11!!!

Too funny, I forgot that I purchased that CD!!!!!

So now I have to say that I was a Live To Tell and a Frozen fan.

And it is funny, Tori Amos has some stellar versions of Live To Tell AND especially Frozen which she performed live in Switzerland I think (On Youtube- BEAUTIFUL)

by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2019 11:16 PM

R12, Tori loves Madonna. I think the demo overall is good but the beginning and end are really rough and they just remind me of how much "studio trickery" is involved in making pop stars sound go. And at certain times I feel like she is almost overpowered by the music.

R8, that is truly one of Madonna's only good/great non-singles from the 80s/early 90s.

by Anonymousreply 13August 17, 2019 11:18 PM

Well Frozen by Tori is positively transcendent...

LOVELY- it really captures what the song is truly about-

YOU- Hold the key-

YOU - hold the key.

And so it is.

by Anonymousreply 14August 17, 2019 11:21 PM

Wasn't this the sound track to a Sean Penn movie?

by Anonymousreply 15August 17, 2019 11:28 PM

Oh, shut up, Madge.

by Anonymousreply 16August 17, 2019 11:30 PM

R3 points out how savvy Madonna used to be at changing her imagine/persona. As R3 stated, at that point before "Live to Tell" came out, the Madonna-wannabes were everywhere (the lace hand gloves, lots and lots of bracelets etc.) but then the video for "Live to Tell" came out and with her 30's retro look from the film, "Shanghai Surprise", she got lots and lots of press for the "New Madonna".

by Anonymousreply 17August 17, 2019 11:30 PM

AT CLOSE RANGE R15. I already said this, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 18August 17, 2019 11:34 PM

I like this one best...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 17, 2019 11:36 PM

The movie is good too. Sean penn was beautiful! Amazing performances from Christopher walker and penn too

by Anonymousreply 20August 17, 2019 11:45 PM

Her greatest ballad for sure. At the time the video was notable for how simple and demure it was compared to the attention-grabbing blitz of her first couple years, just letting the song speak for itself.

by Anonymousreply 21August 17, 2019 11:52 PM

[quote] I love the end of the song when you have Madonna's soprano voice layered with her normal voice.

I like "Live to Tell," but I don't think Madonna has a soprano voice in this song.

by Anonymousreply 22August 17, 2019 11:53 PM

I probably should have not put it that way. LOL.

Just the vocal "layering" at the end-

It is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 23August 18, 2019 12:01 AM

I think it's beautiful. She was clearly going in a new direction by ditching that East Village whore look. Note the hair and her simple dress.

It also must be said that Sean Penn was at the height on his beauty too.

by Anonymousreply 24August 18, 2019 12:04 AM

Love R24.

It is simply, beautiful.

Beautfiul to my ears and soul.

Best thing this possible narcissist ever did, and that DOES mean something in the end.

Does Madonna, know how beautiful it is? I do wonder if Madonna does know this??

by Anonymousreply 25August 18, 2019 12:07 AM

It was the first song that made me stop and consider taking her seriously. Nile Rodgers was on Rupaul's podcast recently, and he said "Live To Tell" is the way Madonna really sings. The high girlish voice she usually uses isn't a natural mezzo soprano, she chose to sing that way thinking it would give her a youthful image and prolong her pop popularity. He said she's very calculating and smart.

by Anonymousreply 26August 18, 2019 12:11 AM

R26- I LOVE HER mid range voice in this!!! Its TRULY works- I am not a musician, however whatever voice this is- IT WORKS!! Is it vibrato?? I have no idea. I know that she has limited "range" but in this "range" it is very resonant and perfect for the song

by Anonymousreply 27August 18, 2019 12:14 AM

She sings in a low voice in "Rain" as well.

by Anonymousreply 28August 18, 2019 12:16 AM

It's a great song that has stood the test of time, although I don't know if you could say it's one of her signature songs like Holiday, Like a Virgin, Like a Prayer and Vogue. But it's definitely up there.

It's such a haunting song and was a risky choice as a precursor to the True Blue album. This was her first major transformation, not just looks-wise but sonically.

But credit should be given to Patrick Leonard who came up with the haunting music and Madonna added the lyrics afterwards.

There's something really special about the '86-87 Madonna years. True Blue into Who's That Girl? The music was really strong and it was fun. Patrick Leonard and Steven Bray brought out the best in Madonna (and they would again on Like a Prayer).

by Anonymousreply 29August 18, 2019 5:48 AM

Someone in another thread asked why Madonna should reconnect with Pat Leonard. This song is the exact reason. It's her best ballad, it was great new direction to go in after rubbing her pussy over everything and anyone.

by Anonymousreply 30August 18, 2019 6:16 AM

"Live to Tell", "Crazy For You", and "Ray of Light" are my favorite Madonna songs.

by Anonymousreply 31August 18, 2019 7:54 AM

[quote]I am not,nor have ever been a Madonna fan. HOWEVER. I quite like her "voice" and Live To Tell is a MASTERPIECE.

[quote]I LOVE HER mid range voice in this!!! Its TRULY works

[quote]It is simply, beautiful. Beautfiul to my ears and soul. Does Madonna, know how beautiful it is? I do wonder if Madonna does know this??

[quote]And when I tell you that I am NOT a fan- I AM NOT.

YES YOU ARE. You type "Madonna SUPERFAN."

by Anonymousreply 32August 18, 2019 10:47 AM

Miles better than that crap true blue.

by Anonymousreply 33August 18, 2019 10:50 AM

Live to Tell routinely comes up on Madonna's best songs lists - it's not some kind of obscure hidden gem.

by Anonymousreply 34August 18, 2019 11:03 AM

R3 weird time for her though she went from adult to back to teenager with papa dont preach and true blue and to adult again with open yout heart, then who’s that girl Happened.

by Anonymousreply 35August 18, 2019 11:16 AM

Skipping 1988 was the best thing she did for her career at the time.

by Anonymousreply 36August 18, 2019 11:34 AM

I quite like her "voice"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 18, 2019 11:42 AM

She brings much more emotion than many singers. She’s telling a story not just singing words

by Anonymousreply 38August 18, 2019 11:56 AM

R17- I never before connected the Shanghai Surprise hair/look to her style in the LTT video but it was totally from that!

Learn something new every day.

by Anonymousreply 39August 18, 2019 12:33 PM

R29, I believe Leonard has said that the studio was convinced that Live to Tell would be a failure and it wouldn't be wise to release it as the first single off of the album. They were obviously wrong and I think they had more trust in Madonna's instincts after that.

by Anonymousreply 40August 18, 2019 2:37 PM

It was about her friend Martin

by Anonymousreply 41August 18, 2019 3:46 PM

I also love this one. It got a lot of airplay when I was but a young gayling.

by Anonymousreply 42August 18, 2019 4:18 PM

True Blue was an outstanding album. Love Makes The World Go Round is a bit weak but every other song is/could've been a hit.

by Anonymousreply 43August 19, 2019 1:53 AM

R43, both Jimmy Jimmy and Love Makes the World Go Round are bad.

by Anonymousreply 44August 19, 2019 2:12 AM

Yeah, the album just kind of flames out after La Isla Bonita. I'm surprised Madonna and her producers couldn't find a strong closer for the album.

by Anonymousreply 45August 19, 2019 2:22 AM

It does stick in your head.

by Anonymousreply 46August 19, 2019 2:33 AM

I thought Jimmy Jimmy was catchy as hell.

by Anonymousreply 47August 19, 2019 2:41 AM

They should’ve added more lyrics to the catchy “Tell Me” demo and put it, along with Regina’s “Baby Love” (which Madonna turned down) on TB in place of JJ and LMTWGR.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 19, 2019 3:30 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 19, 2019 3:30 PM

Another near-Madonna track was Patrick Leonard’s “Most of All”, which he gave to Jody Watley. It has PL’s stamp all over it, just like “Baby Love” has Bray’s stamp all over it. Makes you wonder just how much Madonna actually contributed to her collabs with the two of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 19, 2019 5:31 PM

Meh. She was at her best doing uptempo pop/dance songs. I have no need to hear her ballads ever again.

by Anonymousreply 51August 19, 2019 5:46 PM

R50, according to Leonard, she wrote all the lyrics while he writes all the music. She of course picks things she wants change in the production.

by Anonymousreply 52August 19, 2019 10:42 PM

[quote][R50], according to Leonard, she wrote all the lyrics while he writes all the music. She of course picks things she wants change in the production.

He’s probably just being kind. There’s no way PL didn’t write some of that stuff. Her collaborations with Leonard and Bray were similar to Janet Jackson’s collabs with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, in that both women wrote a lot (sometimes all) of the lyrics while the producers created the music.

by Anonymousreply 53August 19, 2019 11:44 PM

Madonna received sole writing credits for Lucky Star, Burning Up, Think of Me, I Know It and Everybody on her first album. You think she wrote but the music and lyrics?

by Anonymousreply 54August 20, 2019 2:18 AM

*both

by Anonymousreply 55August 20, 2019 2:19 AM

I never liked her. However, you can't deny her phenomenal success, or her impact on pop culture. Obviously there is talent there. I love Deeper and Deeper. Just the vibe of the song, and the video. That and and handful of other songs like Holiday, Vogue, and a few others I like.

I'm not gonna sit here and call her names or make fun of her for being old, but honestly I find her to be pretty relentlessly unpleasant, sour, and off-putting. I've never seen her be charming or humble. The only thing she seems to value is her success, her fame and her money. I guess I sort of admire her for unapologetically going after young hot dick the way older wealthy straight men chase hot young women, but the seeming absence of passion about anything with real substance is odd to me.

Most of her public interactions seem nasty to me. Does she have ANY real long-term friends? She's just... I dunno, perpetually unhappy. Am I wrong? What am I missing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 20, 2019 2:39 AM

The success of 84-87 got to her head and she became a big headed pretentious cunt.

by Anonymousreply 57August 20, 2019 2:47 AM

Baby Love is a good song but with lyrics like "there's no one home tonight and we're out of school until tomorrow" it was a wise move to pass on it. It would've been embarrassing coming from a 30 year old.

by Anonymousreply 58August 20, 2019 3:09 AM

It's really too bad she was never able to take a step back and have fun with it. Sort of self-deflate. I mean, I guess she kinda tried to at some points (with Austin Powers and Wayne's World) but those felt forced and controlled. When Justin Timberlake took himself down a few pegs, it was very funny, and made him super likable. Madonna could never quite do it. Too damn serious all the time.

by Anonymousreply 59August 20, 2019 3:15 AM

I think she's had some fun moments, R59. There's the song from the Dick Tracy soundtrack, I'm Going Bananas, and in the Human Nature video she was making fun of her Sex book phase.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 20, 2019 3:22 AM

I don't find Madonna totally humourless. The clip above is one example. She even had a sense of humour during her Lady of the Manor years, like that short film The Hire directed by Guy. she was actually pretty funny in it.

Her appearance on SNL with Roseanne was also a surprise. It was really cute when Babs popped in and surprised everybody. Even Madonna was happy to see her.

by Anonymousreply 61August 20, 2019 3:25 AM

Fair enough. I'll check those things out. I do remember her thanking Sondheim for the "privilege" which was nice.

by Anonymousreply 62August 20, 2019 3:31 AM

R58 right but Papa don’t preach wasn’t?

by Anonymousreply 63August 20, 2019 3:35 AM

Papa's lyrics weren't as bubblegum. For the song and video I could've bought her as an early twenties college student. Baby Love I think 15 year old Debbie Gibson.

by Anonymousreply 64August 20, 2019 3:49 AM

"Live to Tell" --- "Justify My Love" --- "This Used to Be My Playground" --- "Bad Girl" --- "In This Life" --- "Take a Bow" --- "You Must Love Me"

by Anonymousreply 65August 20, 2019 4:06 AM

[quote]When Justin Timberlake took himself down a few pegs, it was very funny, and made him super likable.

Likable? That smug, culture-appropriating wuss? No.

by Anonymousreply 66August 20, 2019 6:12 AM

When someone starts talking about "cultural appropriation" I tune out. And yeah, I think his stints on SNL, and his making fun of the notion of bringing "sexy back" made him seem like he was in on the joke. Madonna is too often only the subject of the joke.

by Anonymousreply 67August 20, 2019 9:37 AM

Thank you OP. Yes this and the Penn/Walken film (dir. James Foley) are the most touching and true narratives of abused children and people like me and maybe you having issues with abusive or alcoholic parents. I carried this song and those images from the film around inside me for awhile. And it’s what got me into therapy. Lovely.

by Anonymousreply 68August 20, 2019 11:33 AM

The demo isn’t that bad. Certainly no worse than some of the horrid Stevie Nicks demos that I’ve heard.

by Anonymousreply 69August 20, 2019 11:40 AM

The demo is fine. The song is gorgeous. It is indelible to me..I was in college and filled with gay angst and in love with someone or at least crushing hard. Every time I heard it I was gutted. Everyone was like..is this Madonna? I really like the tone of her voice here, she can really portray angst and emotion with it.

Sandra Bernhard said Madonna only goes so far in friendship and then it stops and ends. She said she has a lot of walls. I think SB was probably in love with her.

by Anonymousreply 70August 20, 2019 12:08 PM

Of course Sandra was in love with Madonna. Madonna was everything Sandra made fun of in her act, but secretly wanted to be.

by Anonymousreply 71August 20, 2019 12:31 PM

Sandra still goes on about Madonna. And her role on Pose still has her talking about Madonna (her character on the song Vogue "Oh, I LOVE that song!").

by Anonymousreply 72August 21, 2019 1:15 AM

I think Sandra was more in love with Madonna's connections and the potential to make get on the A List. I can just imagine her bragging to the other comedienne's at The Laugh Factory about hobnobbing with celebs. She was really in love with Ingrid Chavez which ended her friendship with The Queen of Pop.

by Anonymousreply 73August 21, 2019 1:19 AM

Sandra didn't need connections. Sandra knew the cutting edge the moment Lotus Weinstock and Paul Mooney mentored her at the Comedy Store. She already worked with Pryor, Scorsese, she was a frequent guest on Letterman. She knew the downtown NYC club scene as well as anyone.

Madonna used Sandra's edgy cred to make headlines by flaunting some lesbian affair. Using gays for shock value is something she would resort to time and time again throughout her career until she tried to abandon the community altogether after getting "enlightened" in the late 90's. And BTW, Sandra and Ingrid were already an item. It was Madonna who stole Ingrid away, ending their friendship.

by Anonymousreply 74August 21, 2019 1:32 AM

Yeah I kind of think R74's version is legit. Sandra knows plenty of famous people but she seems fairly grounded to me..extremely neurotic but doesn't speak badly about M these days. More like a wistful memory of those heady days of the late 80's and early 90's. The last truly interesting period of modern times when it comes to analog art and creativity.

by Anonymousreply 75August 21, 2019 2:30 AM

Whatever happened to Ingrid Casares (not Chavez)? She seemed to be everywhere with Madonna in the '90s.

by Anonymousreply 76August 21, 2019 2:35 AM

The two of them on Letterman is absolutely classic. This really captures a moment of the '80s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77August 21, 2019 3:04 AM

JT was and remains a corny, phony fuck.

by Anonymousreply 78August 21, 2019 3:16 AM

Sandra most certainly needed Madonna's connections. It had been many many years since King of Comedy and she hadn't been in anything significant. She wanted to be a movie star.

by Anonymousreply 79August 21, 2019 3:35 AM

[quote]Does she have ANY real long-term friends?

She's been friends with Debi Mazaar for almost 40 years and Rosie for almost 30. How much longer term do you need?

by Anonymousreply 80August 21, 2019 3:45 AM

She's been friends with me for her entire life.

by Anonymousreply 81August 21, 2019 3:53 AM

It’s obvious by watching Sandra’s (hilarious) film “Without You, I’m Nothing” that Madonna ripped off Sandra’s bravado, mannerisms and comic timing. In some of Madonna’s interviews where she’s being “funny”, it’s almost like she studied Sandra and took detailed notes with pen and paper.

by Anonymousreply 82August 21, 2019 5:42 PM

R82 Madonna ripping people off and stealing ideas is nothing new.

by Anonymousreply 83August 21, 2019 8:37 PM

I remember when the two of them made those appliqué jean shorts a short lived fad that year

by Anonymousreply 84August 21, 2019 9:57 PM

The quote Madonna sang in Evita was the truest thing she ever said about herself, “I was slap in the right place at the perfect time. Filled a gap, I was lucky. But one thing I’ll say for me, no one else can fill it like I can.”

by Anonymousreply 85August 22, 2019 12:01 PM

That might explain her initial ascent but not her longevity which is truly amazing. Think of all the Martikas, Stacey Qs, Mandy Moores, etc. that she left in the dust.

by Anonymousreply 86August 22, 2019 7:25 PM

(P.S. I found a guy in Jamaica who sells these excellent CDs of unreleased work of Madonna, truly the box set I have wanted for a while (yes, I know many of you don't deal with physical media anymore but I still love it), It's been almost overwhelming, like getting 10 new Madonna CDs in one fell swoop. There's a lot by Lana too, that I also ordered, and others. They go for about 5 bucks each, have simple paper sleeves but with cover art so I just keep them all in a book I found at a music shop, and I haven't had a single issue yet with skipping, etc. google mixtapez and it should take you to the right place).

by Anonymousreply 87August 22, 2019 7:29 PM

[quote] A shame she lost that ability to gouge the public's reaction, though. It was her best asset.

LOL. I'm sure you meant that as a typo, but "gouge" is right!

by Anonymousreply 88August 22, 2019 7:31 PM

No one has taken a crack at what the secret she holds is- she sees the light in him (he does not)- is it some secret about him? (Sean Penn apparently). She knows where beauty lies- hmmm meaning she knows what love is? What is the meaning of the lies a man can tell- was he hiding something from her? Well? It is very pretty ballad.

by Anonymousreply 89August 22, 2019 8:10 PM

I hate her ballads, they are beautiful but her shitty voice ruins them all! If Whitney did live to tell it would be iconic, or Celine with rain or I’ll remember

by Anonymousreply 90August 28, 2019 2:16 PM

Yikes. No. They'd be oversung. I still hate what Houston did to Dolly's sweet song.

Sick of being screamed at by "singers".

by Anonymousreply 91August 28, 2019 4:09 PM

Celine Dion singing Rain? Are you insane? Though she would have better arm choreography than Madge did.

by Anonymousreply 92August 29, 2019 2:16 AM

Okay maybe I am insane but I just cringe at Madonna’s voice in all her ballads, it is rough.

by Anonymousreply 93August 29, 2019 10:04 PM

"something to remember' and the lyrics always makes me bawl quite honestly...

like the early ballad and motown soulfulness of "shooby be do" ...

by Anonymousreply 94August 29, 2019 10:24 PM

Celine singing Madonna?

Nope.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95August 30, 2019 1:20 AM

If she put as much effort into her voice as she did into training at the gym, she'd get more credit and there wouldn't be so many examples of bad live vocals over the years. Also, her voice would have aged better.

by Anonymousreply 96August 30, 2019 1:44 AM

She's doing fine. She sends her love.

by Anonymousreply 97August 30, 2019 1:50 AM

Listening to this on my Amazon Music and I stand by this song. It's gorgeous. Haunting, So 80's in the most wonderful way. It gives me the oogies.

If I live TELLLLL..... the secrets....

Goosebumps every time!!

by Anonymousreply 98October 5, 2019 11:07 PM

OP, I'm still not clear: are you saying you like the song "Live to Tell" by Madonna?

by Anonymousreply 99October 6, 2019 1:07 AM

Um , yes. Like obsessed. But Madonna as a whole, leaves me COLD!

by Anonymousreply 100October 6, 2019 1:09 AM

I could never enjoy "Rain" because Madonna sounds off to me on it - I don't know if it's something about the harmony or her lead. Her backing singer-dancers of the time, Donna DeLory and Niki Harris covered it a few years ago. Vocally, they sound better than Ciccone, of course.

by Anonymousreply 101October 6, 2019 1:29 AM

R101, it's the synthesizer effects, I think. It's a cold song and I think it needed more harmonizing--that's probably why DeLory and Harris sound better.

by Anonymousreply 102October 6, 2019 1:42 AM

r58

The original version by the Star Sisters make no reference to school, which is a good thing as the lead singer had released her first record in the mid 1960s...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103October 6, 2019 1:49 AM

ingrid casares appears in "dark ballet." one of the stoic old gals standing in the outdoor courtyard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104August 31, 2020 1:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!