Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Diana Ross

What's the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd thing that pops into your head when you read that name? Only a 1st thing is OK.

1. Star

2. Diva

3. Icon

by Anonymousreply 142May 26, 2020 9:30 AM

CUNT

WHORE

BITCH

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2019 7:52 PM

1. Hair

2. Opportunist

3. Icon

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2019 7:52 PM

1. Good mother.

2. Fine actress

3. Fabulous!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2019 7:59 PM

Florence Ballard

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2019 8:02 PM

lol, r1.

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2019 8:02 PM

Several years back, There was a highly entertaining mega-thread here at the DL when she was dissed by the wait staff at a Los Angeles restaurant.

She wanted to be seated before her party arrived and the Mater Dee ( I'll Oh Dear! myself, I don't know how to spell it) instead, told her to wait in the bar.

I adore Diana, but still, I blamed her.

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2019 8:07 PM

Honestly, I think of Michael Jackson and The China Beach theme song.

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2019 8:08 PM

1. Ugly talentless Daughter

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2019 8:09 PM

Love her! Saw her perform 2 months ago and enjoyed every minute of it.

Her daughter Rhonda opened the show and was talented in her own right.

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2019 8:19 PM

1. Diva

2. Diva

3. Diva

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2019 8:19 PM

Della, that Maitre D should have fired just like that cashier at Johnny Rockets who yelled at Aretha for eating to go hamburger in the restaurant while waiting for her driver. The Maitre D was being a cunt as he bragged about his treatment of Diana,

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2019 8:22 PM

She has a fabulous wig technician.

Oh, r11, I didn't know that. I don't think that's right if the Maitre D bragged about the treatment of Diana. That does deserve a firing.

by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2019 8:26 PM

1. 18 #1 Billboard songs. 6 as a solo artist; the 6 are more total than Barbra, Bette, Cher, Liza.

2. She raised 5 well adjusted children who adore her; each professionals in their own way.

3. Mary Wilson’s decades long target as a victim, disguising the fact that Mary! never rose to the top when Diana left The Supremes. Eventually you stop whining.

by Anonymousreply 13August 17, 2019 8:26 PM

Reach out.

by Anonymousreply 14August 17, 2019 8:34 PM

The Supremes

The Boss (my favorite song of hers as a solo artist)

Diva bitch ( worked with her on one of her singing engagements. She and her people are unfriendly, moody and mean)

by Anonymousreply 15August 17, 2019 8:43 PM

As a 70s child....#1:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 17, 2019 8:45 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 17, 2019 8:46 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 17, 2019 8:47 PM

skinny, megastar, crossover

by Anonymousreply 19August 17, 2019 8:47 PM

International superstar!

Class and elegance

Wonderful mother

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 17, 2019 9:45 PM

Sweet

Silvery

Syncopation

by Anonymousreply 21August 17, 2019 9:56 PM

I wonder what it's like to be in her large family. Does everyone get along. If Diana calls do you have to go. Is their jealousy? Dysfunction? Are the wives, husbands accepted ?Curious.

by Anonymousreply 22August 17, 2019 10:05 PM

I think that Diana Ross is one of the great examples of someone who kept her private family life separate from her cutthroat career and huge ambition. It must be something innate in her, because she is a beloved mother, grandmother, step-mother and mother-in-law. She chose unusual men to marry - she must have trusted and loved them. She had some fun with the ones in between. Her deep love for family and real mom status is evident in how her children speak of her and how they look at her.

A friend of mine, a bit older than me, said that the word "superstar" was invented to refer to Diana Ross and Streisand in the 1970s. I think he wasn't kidding. But Diana somehow embodies it more. She's wasn't beautiful but she is, she wore too much hair and sequins but always looked stunning, she was an instinctively very good actress and she became a much better singer over time. She didn't rest, but she made sure her appearances seemed special. By the time I was of age, she was resting a bit too much on glamor and divadom. But it still fit.

by Anonymousreply 23August 17, 2019 10:22 PM

She’s forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 24August 17, 2019 10:23 PM

[quote]She’s forgotten.

Are you kidding? That 75 year old bitch is selling out venues wherever she appears! She's working like she has rent to pay! Anyway, her status has now reached the level of legendary. I remember decades ago that going to see Diana Ross at Radio City Music Hall was part of the social events of the NYC seasons. It seems as if it has now returned back to that sort of luster.

She's done QUITE well for herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 17, 2019 10:32 PM

1) Diva

2) Drinkin'

3) Blockbuster Video

by Anonymousreply 26August 17, 2019 10:43 PM

Old

Bitch

Adultress

by Anonymousreply 27August 17, 2019 10:45 PM

[quote]She has a fabulous wig technician.

Now, this is what I DO find interesting. After all of these years (decades) people think of her hair as being her own--and believe it! Maybe, I can be accounted for that too. While I'm sure she wears wigs I always thought that her hair was weaved with additional hair.

Anyway, my point is that one can find nothing about her hair, hair regime, who does her hair, etc. She's admitted that the cover of the "DIANA" album was her real hair. But, her sister, (Dr. Barbara Ross Lee), does have thick and very long hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 17, 2019 10:47 PM

SHE HAS TALENT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 17, 2019 10:48 PM

Ross dress for less

by Anonymousreply 30August 17, 2019 10:50 PM

1. MISS ROSS TO YOU!!!

2. 1983 concert in Central Park

3. Ain't No Mountain High Enough

by Anonymousreply 31August 17, 2019 10:57 PM

1. Hair 2. Soccer 3. Alcohol

by Anonymousreply 32August 17, 2019 10:59 PM

Her sister

Dr. Barbara Ross-Lee (when she was younger)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 17, 2019 11:01 PM

She was fantastic in Lady Sings the Blues. I have no idea who she married. Berry Gordy?

by Anonymousreply 34August 17, 2019 11:02 PM

The two together

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 17, 2019 11:03 PM

Diane, Mary, and Quincy Jones at Elton John's Oscar party earlier this year. I hope Diane and Mary can agree to tour together again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 18, 2019 12:01 AM

No one wants to work with Mary Wilson. She's too much trouble. Just ask me.

Besides, it wouldn't be a real Supremes reunion, which was that fat bitch was bellowing back in 2000.

by Anonymousreply 37August 18, 2019 12:09 AM

I'm important too! I AM IMPORTANT TOO, DAMN IT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 18, 2019 12:21 AM

1. Boring tour setlist

2. Has had the same look for the last 39 years

3. Can’t laugh at herself

by Anonymousreply 39August 18, 2019 12:21 AM

This is worth watching just to get a sense of her audiences and how many different generations she has impacted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 18, 2019 12:44 AM

Her voice is thin and nasally, she's self aggrandizing and somewhat ridiculous, but she's got IT. She's a pretty woman who puts on a show. She's vulnerable and something more electrifying. Some very inarticulate mean people are the biggest stars of all time. Diana's always had it. And she did change it up lots of times. Some good jazz singing and gospel and disco and the ballads and she got better and better. Her sound is unique and unusually sweet. That's a star voice. She's an excellent actress who nobody would hire after The Wiz. So she sings the old hits. Like Streisand, she exists on her legacy. But Diana can still deliver it. Because so much of it is really her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 18, 2019 12:51 AM

Don't look her in the eye.

by Anonymousreply 42August 18, 2019 3:00 AM

I worked with Mary Wilson on a touring show. She was an absolute delight. Friendly, chatty, very professional. And yes, she did refer to D as "Diane."

by Anonymousreply 43August 18, 2019 3:02 AM

Mary Wilson is one of the biggest (non) entities in showbiz history. Can't sing, can't move. Was left behind for very good reasons. She was very lucky to grow up in the Brewster Projects, be part of Motown and a founding member of the greatest girl group of all time, DIANA ROSS and the Supremes.

I personally think that the Pointer Sisters were the greatest female recording group, but The Supremes had 12 number one hits and changed the world! Lucky Mary Wilson. She's virtually talentless but she made a fortune from her association with Diana Ross and Motown. Trashing "Diane" is still her only source of income, 50 years on.

by Anonymousreply 44August 18, 2019 3:21 AM

R44= Berry Gordy

by Anonymousreply 45August 18, 2019 3:23 AM

Great example of a singer with tons of personality and emotion and a very pretty voice. But zero range.

by Anonymousreply 46August 18, 2019 3:57 AM

I’ll never forget her DUI. It was the DUI ever!!

by Anonymousreply 47August 18, 2019 4:01 AM

If she gave us nothing other than the choreography for "Stop! In The Name Of Love", that would be enough.

by Anonymousreply 48August 18, 2019 4:01 AM

She sent me a nickel..

by Anonymousreply 49August 18, 2019 4:15 AM

I completely agree with R44.

Mary used to be my favorite Supreme. Over time, I saw her for what was: the consummate background singer. Never made it to the front because she didn't have the presence, talent to rise to the top. She was lucky to be a part of that legacy led by Diana Ross. Diana left and she remained a background singer. But she figured she could trade in her victimhood and gossip. Deep in her heart, she knows the truth. Why not just celebrate the fortune lucked into and fortunes she made? Jealousy is too consuming.

by Anonymousreply 50August 18, 2019 4:17 AM

Diana got to where she is because she slept with Berry Gordy. She doesn’t have that great of voice or range. Having the biggest hair does not equate talent.

by Anonymousreply 51August 18, 2019 4:25 AM

Diana Ross is a STAR. Berry Gordy discovered her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 18, 2019 4:29 AM

What Gordy discovered was Diana's skills at cocksucking

by Anonymousreply 53August 18, 2019 4:34 AM

1. Memorable Voice 2. Not the best singer 3. Bitch

by Anonymousreply 54August 18, 2019 4:37 AM

1. Radiant 2. Humble 3. Some pig

by Anonymousreply 55August 18, 2019 4:40 AM

That’s such bullshit and oversimplification (and intellectually dishonest). The owner of Motown had a group that flopped repeatedly (“No Hit Supremes”). As a businessman, you cut it loose or try a different formula. At that point the Supremes could have disappeared.

He gambled on Ross. She had the “it” factor and an endearing, recognizable voice. She led the flopping Supremes to 12 #1 hits and bookings around the world. Berry Gordy didn’t make people buy the records or cause Ed Sullivan adore the group and continually invite them back.

He gave her a chance and she would either flop or flourish. Her rise was historical. Her voice has 18 #1 songs (compared to Streisand’s 5; Cher’s 4; Aretha’s 2; Liza’s 0.......6 of Diana’s #1s were as a solo artist).

Say what you will, but she performed. The lady is an icon. As with all of us, the road to success can get messy at times, but this wasn’t handed to her on a platter. Not at that level of success.

by Anonymousreply 56August 18, 2019 4:48 AM

It's not too risky when you're handed some of the best pop songs ever to sing. Gordy's pet got the royal treatment because she was sleeping with him, no matter how much you want to gloss over that.

by Anonymousreply 57August 18, 2019 4:55 AM

R56 It was never that way. Acts back then got noticed through payola. Elvis, Chubby Checker, Sam Cooke...all got their start by radio stations being paid off to play their singles. You can’t rewrite history.

by Anonymousreply 58August 18, 2019 4:58 AM

R58 you're talking about acts getting airtime due to payments. R56 is about who led the group and why. No one is rewriting history.

by Anonymousreply 59August 18, 2019 5:20 AM

Yeah there was payola. But Motown changed the world. It really did. I was born in 1976 and I know this from my family home and heritage and my life as a musician. What a crazy argument. Any act that catches fire is a combination of looks, luck, talent, songs and promotion. For decades there was payola to get music played. Now granting access to the performer IS the payola.

Was the SUPREMES, The Temptations, The Four TOPS, Marvin GAYE, The JackSON five, Smokey damn Robinson, MARTHA reeves and the VaNDellas, Gladys Knight and STEVIE fucking WONDER's success a result of PAYOLA??? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo.

Some people can't imagine what a change in the world it was. As Oprah always says about The Supremes on Ed Sullivan - LOOK - Black people are on the TV!!! Pretty black people in great costumes singing great songs with choreography and their heads held high. They were packaged right to show their enormous gifts and talents. WOW. The world of music had always been black, but the world finally found OUT!!! Black people don't leave the soul and blues out when they sing pop music. That's in the hands of producers.

Diana Ross so clearly shone even with all her Motown advantages. She was born to be a star. It might not happen to her today. And what does that mean? It's neither good or bad. Because it can be applied to anyone. Diana Ross is not the greatest singer to ever be discovered. But Whitney Houston would have to dumb down her glorious voice to be a hit today. Talent was always packaged, but now it's package first and too pretty is not a good thing. The whole meme that Diana couldn't sing or didn't deserve success is negated when you we see what she found later on her own. Her voice is distinctive and pretty. Supple and unusually sweet sounding. She always had a great sense of rhythm and her timing became superb. She increased her range and like Streisand, became less nasal sounding as she matured. Bitch could get down and be hot with the boys. Then she spent years singing beautiful jazz/pop with a full orchestra on the road to no acclaim. She loves to twirl and wear sequins and push her hair back on TV and everywhere else. I saw her in outdoor concert and she landed in a fucking helicopter. Still, the woman was a real singer and a star performer. Even today. But like others, she should hang it up. Patti Labelle, Streisand, Warwick, Gladys Knight and Diana Ross should all take notes from Tina Turner and let it go. Already. Five years ago. When you can't do it good no more.

Mary Wilson can continue to do whatever it is she does.

by Anonymousreply 60August 18, 2019 6:10 AM

^ She was always a knockout.

This is a terrible example of her talent, but I like it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 18, 2019 6:16 AM

Diane did not have a big voice, but I am annoyed by people using that as criticism as though every Black singer needs to be a big-voiced singer singing gutbucket soul like Aretha or Patti.

Diane had a lovely, light pop music voice that was unique and instantly recognizable on the radio. And loads of star quality. It's time we laid to rest the nonsense peddled by "Dreamgirls" about Diane unfairly becoming a star and Florence being the more deserving of the accolades.

by Anonymousreply 62August 18, 2019 6:25 AM

R60 Yep, the Supremes were the first black singers on tv. Fuck off Little Richard, you never paved the way. I was born in ‘69, and I see no relevance of what year I was born being indictitive of anything. I was born in 1969, I know everything about the moon landing. Oprah Winfrey is a god damn idiot. I would gladly tell her that to one of her faces if she would get the fuck off of Geffens yacht. If you’re not educated to Geffens love and disposal of young male talent, a quick search will do. Love Diana all you want, there’s nothing wrong with that. However, she did fuck Berry Gordy to be Diana Ross and the Supremes. She cemented it by having his kid. So is whoring yourself out a talent? I don’t know, but getting pregnant was definitely her smart move.

by Anonymousreply 63August 18, 2019 7:02 AM

1. Beautiful voice 2. Sequins and dangling earrings 3. Long fingernails hugging Flo’s child at the funeral

by Anonymousreply 64August 18, 2019 7:26 AM

How was getting pregnant with Rhonda a smart move? By the time she got pregnant Ross had already left the group and embarked on a career as a solo artist. The pregnancy also forced her into a rushed marriage of convenience with Robert Ellis Silberstein. Ross was already a global star by then.

She may have fucked Gordy to make herself the top artist of Motown, but I find it hard to believe that even Ross would be so foolish as to jeopardise her career by intentionally having Gordy's illegitimate child.

by Anonymousreply 65August 18, 2019 7:28 AM

Read a damn biography on her. This is all well known. She got pregnant and wanted Gordy to marry her. He refused, so she got her quicky marriage to save her name. Just because someone is on top one moment, doesn’t mean shit. Marrying money is a guarantee. No more tours, no more shilling.

by Anonymousreply 66August 18, 2019 7:48 AM

Call Me MISS ROSS

Lady Sings the Blues

My sister's friend Tam who worshiped Diana Ross.

by Anonymousreply 67August 18, 2019 7:56 AM

Mary sang lead in a few Primettes songs, and took turns singing lead in the '70s Supremes.

Supposedly, Berry Gordy wasn't thrilled with Diana's replacement, Jean Terrell and wanted to fire her, but Mary and Cindy insisted that she stay. At that point, Berry washed his hands of the Supremes and followed Diana to Hollywood to make her a movie star. Mary picked up the mantle, but unwisely appointed her husband Pedro to (mis)manage the group. After Jean and then Cindy left, Mary and Pedro hired the other girls. So Mary continued to keep the Supremes going even after the hits dried up, which is why Mary feels she has a bit of ownership of the group.

Mary singing lead:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 18, 2019 8:03 AM

How does that make her a whore R63? (rhetorical) Don't men fuck too. Do they impregnate women? Diana Ross and Berry Gordy are loving, not fake friends all these years later. Whatever happened, happened. Ross had 2 more children with her "husband of convenience" so it couldn't have all been bad. But yes, he was likely compliant and a bit of a cuckold. She would never see him that way. Diana Ross is not some wanton woman. When they gave Ross the lifetime achievement award at the AMAs both of her surviving baby daddies were there. Barry and Robert. As were all her children and grandchildren. You paint a cheap picture. I bet that Diana Ross did not want to become pregnant at that time. It didn't serve her or her career well. And she sure didn't need to have Berry Gordy's baby to move away from the Supremes. She was already a solo act. Diana was a star, almost from the very start. Even in this clip where she forgets some lyrics and just moves to the music - she had it. 21 years old. That was young back then. Gordy wanted her to go solo as early as 1966. She refused. So they changed the name of the group to Diana Ross and The Supremes. She probably had a say in that. He could book them for more money that way, because it made her a headliner. All of this is well known. Someone has watched Dreamgirls too many times....

Btw, I'm sure Miss Ross is worth far more money that Berry Gordy at this point and she's still touring this summer. A performer loves to perform, a singer wants to sing. A diva loves the applause. She's fucking rich. She could have stopped live performing decades ago. Diana started as a teenager at Motown. She's been at it for almost 60 years. Don't talk nonsense that Ross got pregnant so she wouldn't have to sing anymore. It's crazy misogynist shit. Rhonda Ross is 48 years old. Diana was already a superstar gone solo in 1970 with hits Ain't No Mountain High Enough and Reach Out and Touch almost a full year before her eldest daughter from Berry was born. She had been romantically involved with him for 5 years and sure didn't need a bastard insurance baby then - so she could stop touring? What a loon you are R66. Diana married her first husband 3 months before Rhonda was born and he raised her as his own. The story is well known. They had two other children together and are very close friends to this day. As she is with Berry Gordy. Berry is 89 fucking years old. The king of everything. No tribute is great enough and no story too tawdry to bring him down. He has 8 children by 6 women. Motown deserves a grand 10 part series, documenting and exploring all the great music and people who lived and loved and prospered and were screwed over there. It must be EPIC. Because they changed the world. Why isn't anyone working on that? The Broadway show was fine, but we need the archives and some fine ass actors to play these giants.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69August 18, 2019 8:57 AM

75 year old Diana sings to 89 year old Berry. Motown 60.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70August 18, 2019 9:23 AM

R69 has given the definitive answer but at OP's request: 1) Supremes 2)The sequined gowns and jewelry reflecting so much light on Ed Sullivan that they had a mirror effect 3) Some of the best music of the 1960's

by Anonymousreply 71August 18, 2019 10:02 AM

[quote]Diana got to where she is because she slept with Berry Gordy. She doesn’t have that great of voice or range. Having the biggest hair does not equate talent.

I've gotten soooo tired of this after decades. You can like Diana Ross or not but you cannot deny that she's talented. She simply would not have survived DECADES in the entertainment business were she not.

by Anonymousreply 72August 18, 2019 10:25 AM

1) Black 2) Black 3) Black

by Anonymousreply 73August 18, 2019 11:09 AM

1) Bigly entertaining 2). Has “it” 3) Diva - She was mostly popular before my generation, but she is totally watchable.

I wonder how many gay men fashion designer careers did she launch when she took that rainbow dress for a spin? Definitely early influencer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74August 18, 2019 11:46 AM

Crazy.

She may have changed but to me she'll always be the crazy lady groping some midget's boob at an award show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75August 18, 2019 12:00 PM

[quote]Diane did not have a big voice, but I am annoyed by people using that as criticism as though every Black singer needs to be a big-voiced singer singing gutbucket soul like Aretha or Patti.

Agreed, R62. This is a common belief among many black people. Whitney Houston wasn't black enough. What? This singing your guts out and rolling on the floor in contortions of pain because a man has left you isn't singing. No one really knows what a Patti LaBelle is outside of the continental United States. Her popularity is limited to the chitlin' circuit economic level blacks and the gays. Other than that she could walk freely throughout the rest of the world because not too many others know who she is. I'm 3 steps away from saying the same thing about Aretha Franklin except she is well-known internationally.

by Anonymousreply 76August 18, 2019 12:31 PM

Goal driven

Passionately loves what she does

Longevity

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77August 18, 2019 12:42 PM

Has-Been.

by Anonymousreply 78August 18, 2019 1:16 PM

1) Hair

2) Bitch

3) Whispery voice

by Anonymousreply 79August 18, 2019 1:20 PM

Hair

Lips

Teeth

by Anonymousreply 80August 18, 2019 1:26 PM

[quote]Has-Been.

-Diana Ross concert is SOLD OUT; TPD increases security with more than 8,000 people expected downtown--The ProMedica Concert Series is set to bring another concert to downtown Toledo. July 12, 2019

-7 things about Diana Ross, who will perform a sold-out show in Hershey on Friday

-Diana Ross' 5-night engagement (originally scheduled for 3 nights then lengthened due to popular demand) at the historic City Center Theater is about 95% sold. At 2,257 seats that means there will be 11,285 happy Motown / Diana fans next week!

That's some type of has-been...

by Anonymousreply 81August 18, 2019 1:38 PM

Hungy

Driven

Goddess of Self-belief

by Anonymousreply 82August 18, 2019 3:34 PM

[quote]Mary and Pedro hired the other girls. So Mary continued to keep the Supremes going even after the hits dried up, which is why Mary feels she has a bit of ownership of the group.

Pedro ran the group into the ground. Despite having a top forty hit with their last album, they were playing the casino circuit wearing gowns that were a decade old and singing supper club material in the disco era. So Mary "leaves" but there was nothing to leave at that point. The group disbands a month or two afterwards.

Mary, however, has a huge ace up her sleeve with having ownership of the Supremes name. But she gives it to Berry in exchange for a solo album contract. She makes one album which Motown didn't promote and sold a whopping 2,000 copies before they drop her from the label.

by Anonymousreply 83August 18, 2019 4:30 PM

Norway

Lawyer

Slap

by Anonymousreply 84August 18, 2019 4:41 PM

I have worked with Mary and I love her to bits. She is down to earth and a very fun person to be around. She can be a diva when she wants to be, but that come with age and many years in the business. Respect.

Diana became Superstar Diana because she had her eyes set on stardom and went for it. It didn't matter if she stepped on a few toes on the way up or backstabbed old friends and alienated all the ladies at Motown; that's the way the game is played and she came out on top. Ambition, discipline, thick skin, and an outsized ego carry you far. Of course, getting friendly with powerful people helps. I don't think Mary had it in her to do all that, which is why she never rose to the top on her own.

by Anonymousreply 85August 18, 2019 5:54 PM

Diana sings Dylan. Beautiful, clear intonation, tender feeling. That's the Diana Ross way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86August 18, 2019 7:30 PM

Not R75 or R78

Crazy Has-Been

And Crazy Has-Been Fans (yes, including R81 and Della)

by Anonymousreply 87August 18, 2019 9:44 PM

Tough, resilient, indomitable

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88August 18, 2019 10:38 PM

Fat, fat, fat

by Anonymousreply 89August 18, 2019 11:20 PM

Legendary.

Years ago I read that she and Meat Loaf would care for each other's children when their parents were on tour.

by Anonymousreply 90August 19, 2019 12:01 AM

Who got the Naess billion$?

Her or Ross & Evan?

by Anonymousreply 91August 19, 2019 2:48 AM

Needs was never a billionaire. She had more money than him. True.

by Anonymousreply 92August 19, 2019 2:57 AM

1. Up 2. Side 3. Down

by Anonymousreply 93August 19, 2019 2:59 AM

The real brains behind that whole operation is Chutney.

by Anonymousreply 94August 19, 2019 3:07 AM

The fourth thing is "PUSH."

by Anonymousreply 95August 19, 2019 3:19 AM

[quote]Needs was never a billionaire. She had more money than him. True.

I don't know if anyone will ever know the truth to that,R92. But, I do remember reading long ago that when they were settling the divorce that Naess told her; "I will pay you enough money so that you will never have to work again." One of the reasons that they divorced was because of her spending. Also, in the divorce settlement she got the private island (Tiano) in the South Pacific. It sounds grand (it's 25 acres) but was only (LOL!) worth $3-4MM when she sold it. Ross made a lot of money when she left MOTOWN for RCA and that was the largest contract at that time. But, she REALLY made her money when she allowed Soloman Brothers or Drexel Burnham manage her money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96August 19, 2019 3:21 AM

1. Lil

2. Kim’s

3. Tit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97August 19, 2019 3:26 AM

I remember reading a few snippets years ago concerning the money.

1) During the late 80s when DIana was worth 75 mill, Naess was worth 50 mill - the inflated net worth reported back then was just media hype.

2) Diana secured a gig as the entertainment at some sort of Billionaire's convention "There was over XX Billion dollars in that room that night" - The implication was that she purposely did the gig to network with all those money men for investment information and "She made a killing!"

by Anonymousreply 98August 19, 2019 12:00 PM

It was probably Drexel Burnham's annual Predators' Ball, R98

by Anonymousreply 99August 19, 2019 12:38 PM

Her sons are gorgeous!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100August 19, 2019 12:53 PM

Is Mary J Blige pissed off that Diane is fondling Lil Kim's tit instead of hers? Or is she angry that Lil Kim has a pair of tits for Miss Ross to fondle whereas MJB's bosom is as flat as her singing?

by Anonymousreply 101August 20, 2019 6:37 AM

MJB is pissed off in general for her dislike of Diana Ross - I saw that scene a few times, and there was the faintest bit of tension between the two of them. Ross, upon her introduction, hit the stage walking like a total, complete boss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102August 20, 2019 10:42 AM

A Cunt and an Asshole walk into a bar...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103August 21, 2019 6:19 PM

Actually it wasn't, R103.

by Anonymousreply 104August 21, 2019 7:10 PM

Are we sure that's Ryan O'Neal in R103 pic and not Richard Gere?

by Anonymousreply 105August 21, 2019 8:43 PM

Yep - it's Richard Gere

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106August 21, 2019 8:45 PM

Diana Ross and Cher invented roller skating.

by Anonymousreply 107August 21, 2019 8:47 PM

Damn, Diane - even GROUCHO?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108August 21, 2019 8:49 PM

Mary Wilson will be appearing on this season's "Dancing with the Stars" I hope the word "Diane" doesn't pass her lips.

by Anonymousreply 109August 22, 2019 12:42 AM

Mahogany

Central Park Concert

Glam

by Anonymousreply 110August 22, 2019 12:48 AM

I hope Diane donates Mary a few decent wigs to wear on DWTS. Mary's edges are not looking good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111August 22, 2019 2:45 AM

Here’s a still unpolished Diana Ross from 1965. One can already sense her charisma with that infectious smile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112August 24, 2019 5:15 AM

1.) domineering psycho

2.) thin

3.) respectable career

by Anonymousreply 113August 24, 2019 5:21 AM

thin voice

by Anonymousreply 114August 24, 2019 5:34 AM

1. BITCH

2. LEAD SINGER

3. AMBITIOUS

by Anonymousreply 115August 24, 2019 5:50 AM

Many people talk about how Diana's voice was unique, but most don't ever also mention that it's about how she used that voice, as well. Even in her 20s, she was able to turn and ad-lib a phrase, and deliver vocals with a showbiz maturity and sophistication way beyond her years and equal to established entertainers twice her age. That also helped with the whole Supremes crossover and success thing. If I had been Berry Gordy, I would've run with, spotlighted and exploited that success, too. Ross was too tough a personality at even a younger age to let herself be treated that way--in fact, she chose to allow and go for it, she wanted it. Who really controlled whom, when you look back on their long musical history together--Gordy, or Ross?!

by Anonymousreply 116August 24, 2019 6:04 AM

Thanks Mary! My three descriptors of you:

1. Professional victim; always leveraging your jealousy and spinning stories to make them favorable to you.

2. Never rose to the top, despite numerous lead other singers leaving the group. You were an original Supreme who remained a background singer.

3. Completely mismanaged the Supreme's brand when you took control, while your made up nemesis, Diana, became an Icon.

by Anonymousreply 117August 24, 2019 6:05 AM

1. The Boss

2. The Boss

3. The Boss

by Anonymousreply 118August 24, 2019 7:01 AM

Oh. she's so special. There are some great remixes of this song. Diana just had it!! Her voice was so alive and joyful and wonderfully energized. And then tender and sweet, so rhythmic, just totally in her own special pocket. Just like the funky wildly unique beauty that she was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119August 24, 2019 7:49 AM

Rhonda Ross

Brown

Remy Martin Goddammit

by Anonymousreply 120August 24, 2019 10:35 AM

The Wiz

Ain't No Mountain High Enough

The Jackson 5

(I have no idea why The Wiz was my first thought. I've only seen the first twenty minutes or so.)

by Anonymousreply 121August 24, 2019 10:40 AM

Why was Ms Ross so skinny in her youth? I saw a picture of her wearing some sort of transparent gown and waving her arms. You could see the outline of her rib cage very clearly.

Did she have an eating disorder?

by Anonymousreply 122August 27, 2019 6:11 AM

1. Love Hangover

2. The Wiz

3. The time I saw her in concert and she lectured the audience by saying, “I can tell when my audience has been drinking.” She walked off stage before the first song was complete and said she would re-emerge when the audience pulled it together. At least a third of the crowd walked out.

by Anonymousreply 123August 27, 2019 6:22 AM

Nobody had an eating disorder in the Brewster Projects in 1962, R122. Diana was just skinny and very young. She remained beautifully slender for most of her life. What don't you know? Here she is, a knockout at 51.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124August 27, 2019 6:23 AM

Monster skunt to work with....AVOID

by Anonymousreply 125August 27, 2019 6:30 AM

R124, she actually looks normal in that photo. Her pictures from the sixties and early seventies show an eerily skinny woman, though. I remember an album cover where she looked like a teenaged schoolboy.

by Anonymousreply 126August 27, 2019 6:34 AM

R126, The Biafran orphan album cover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127August 27, 2019 6:58 AM

How old are you, how tall are you and what do you weigh babe? Tell me R126. Have you ever noticed that people are different shapes and sizes? Diana was a skinny young woman, but it was obviously natural to her.

Pauline Kael called Diana Ross the funkiest fresh beauty of the screen. And so she was. My father just called her a knockout. And so she was.

It has to be said, black or white - Diana Ross is one of the most glamorous women of all time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128August 27, 2019 7:01 AM

Calm down, Tracee Ellis Ross at R128. I didn't say Diana wasn't glamorous or beautiful. All I said was that she was too skinny, much like many of the famous models of the sixties, who were also too thin.

by Anonymousreply 129August 27, 2019 7:35 AM

No, you calm down bitch!

by Anonymousreply 130August 27, 2019 7:49 AM

Diana Ross was impossible... before there was a Diana Ross. She was gorgeously talented.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131August 27, 2019 8:00 AM

Miss Ross

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132August 29, 2019 2:20 PM

Look at that DRESS!

LOVE IT!

And, I LOVE her in it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133December 4, 2019 12:09 PM

GORGEOUS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134December 4, 2019 12:10 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135May 26, 2020 8:34 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136May 26, 2020 8:37 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137May 26, 2020 8:38 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138May 26, 2020 8:40 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139May 26, 2020 8:48 AM

She’s at least a better singer than Olivia Newton John.

by Anonymousreply 140May 26, 2020 9:07 AM

She’s at least a better singer than Olivia Newton John.

by Anonymousreply 141May 26, 2020 9:07 AM

The term, "Diva" was coined exclusively with Miss Ross in mind. I witnessed her entrance to the Michael Jackson concert at Dodger Stadium. She had an entourage of dozens. She was draped in furs that trailed 10 feet behind her as she floated past we ordinary slobs. The Queen of England would have choked such a display of fabulousness.

by Anonymousreply 142May 26, 2020 9:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!