Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Portland on High Alert as Rival Protesters to Clash

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 20, 2019 11:20 AM

Darn, I had a really good intro in the OP that was overwritten. Ok, here goes, again, briefer:

Proud boys and other fascists are protesting in Portland without a permit. Antifa is counter protesting, also without a permit. Roads and bridges closed.

Trump has tweeted that he’s watching and may declare Antifa as a terrorist organization. He’s a dick, he really is.

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2019 7:24 PM

I know Antifa is actually an organization invented by the Right to draw attention away from the Proud Boys, KKK, and other violent, racist, neo-Fascist, and White supremacist organizations. But it’s caught on in some places, apparently, particularly liberal strongholds like Portland.

I have never heard of them in New England. Actually, I have only heard of them as being on the West Coast.

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2019 7:27 PM

The Portlandia protesters will raise their arms ... and everyone will pass out from the stench.

Lack of personal hygiene is the original bioweapon.

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2019 7:38 PM

Apparent,y the leader of the Proud Boys planted the flag, and left. Why is it that the soldiers never see through this?

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2019 8:40 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2019 8:48 PM

if ANTIFA doesn't think they're doing anything wrong, why do they continue to conceal their identity? surely they'd be proud of what they're accomplishing

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2019 9:42 PM

I think they ought to seal off the area where the protesters are going to clash, and leave a lot of medieval weaponry lying around.

Let the extremists take each other out, the world will be a better place for it.

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2019 10:20 PM

That’s really simplistic, R6. Just dumb.

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2019 10:50 PM

Doesn't this happen every year? Like people who stuff themselves at hot dog eating contests on Juky 4, air show accidents and people dressing in costumes pretending they're running a marathon for a half mile? It's kinda routine.

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2019 11:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2019 5:55 PM

Oregon, US. A protester is surrounded by police after being detained during an alt-right rally in Portland as anti-fascism demonstrators gathered to counter-protest a rally held by far-right, extremist groups. Photograph: Stephanie Keith/Getty Images

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2019 10:45 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 20, 2019 1:39 AM

lol, r11.

Leave it to DL to find the good, or at least the hot, in any situation.

by Anonymousreply 13August 20, 2019 1:53 AM

Kellyanne Conway today, "Antifa stands for Anti First Amendment." Dumb as a box of hammers.

by Anonymousreply 14August 20, 2019 2:39 AM

KAC got punched a lot in school. Probably still gets randomly punched by complete strangers at Giant and Safeway. She’s just ambling along, reaching for a jar of Prego. Wham! Somebody lands a haymaker. She’s just punchable and it’s a service to God and Mankind.

by Anonymousreply 15August 20, 2019 2:50 AM

Disprove anybody see the two guys in unicorn blow-up consumes who were singing behind the newsman trying to file his story? They were so funny.

by Anonymousreply 16August 20, 2019 4:00 AM

Why is the police officers in OP's post standing with his right leg propped up on the hood of his car like that? Is he stretching?

by Anonymousreply 17August 20, 2019 7:13 AM

[quote]I know Antifa is actually an organization invented by the Right to draw attention away from

This is all lies. Antifa is real, Cletus. They’re real, made up of real people, who are anti-racism, pro-gay and anti-fascist. They’re our allies. Assuming you are gay and not a Nazi or Nazi-adjacent, of course.

by Anonymousreply 18August 20, 2019 11:06 AM

[quote]That’s really simplistic, [R6]. Just dumb.

R6 is a troll (the ALL-CAPS troll to be exact). They are simplistic and dumb by definition.

by Anonymousreply 19August 20, 2019 11:07 AM

Antifa was originally used as a descriptor, i.e. "I am antifa" meaning "I am antifascist."

Antifascist protesters are a loosely connected group of antifascist individuals. Some meet and plan, some just show up. They are all over the political spectrum. There is no official Antifa Organization (tm) and THAT is what the alt-right is hoping you don't know. They hope you confuse Black Bloc and other smaller radical organizations with general, everyday antifascists.

It's very similar to Anonymous a few years ago when so many people thought there was an organized group of people calling themselves "Anonymous." Lots of people were part of Anonymous but only a handful were bad faith hackers.

by Anonymousreply 20August 20, 2019 11:12 AM

[quote]if the French resistance doesn't think they're doing anything wrong, why do they continue to conceal their identity? surely they'd be proud of what they're accomplishing

FTFY

by Anonymousreply 21August 20, 2019 11:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!