Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trans Students Are Found Far More Likely Than Others to Suffer From a Host of Psychological Problems

I will copy and paste because The Chronicle is behind a paywall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81August 24, 2019 1:58 PM

Transgender, gender-nonconforming, and gender-nonbinary college students suffer two to four times more than their cisgender classmates from mental-health problems, including depression, anxiety, eating disorders, self-injury, and suicidality, according to a new study that is the largest of its kind.

Previous research has shown that this population experiences pervasive mistreatment, harassment, discrimination, and violence. The new study shows the alarming scale of the mental-health toll on trans and other gender-minority college students in particular, says the lead author, Sarah Ketchen Lipson, an assistant professor of health law, policy, and management at Boston University.

“I’m hoping,” she says, “that the magnitude of these disparities will create a sense of urgency” among college leaders in instituting trans-friendly policies like access to gender-neutral bathrooms and housing, and allowing students to change their name in campus records.

The paper, published on Friday in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine, was also written by Julia Raifman, an assistant professor of health law, policy, and management at Boston University’s School of Public Health; Sari L. Reisner, of Harvard Medical School and the Fenway Institute; and Sara Abelson, of the University of Michigan School of Public Health.

In the largest mental-health survey of college students ever undertaken in the United States, data were collected from 2015 through the spring of 2017 from the Healthy Minds Study, which Lipson leads with Daniel Eisenberg of the University of Michigan. The sample included 65,213 students, mostly undergraduates, at 71 colleges and universities, with 98 percent identifying as cisgender, and 2 percent as gender-minority.

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2019 3:47 PM

Among the key findings:

Seventy-eight percent of transgender, gender-nonconforming, and gender-nonbinary students — 4.3 times more than their cisgender classmates — met the criteria for one or more mental-health problems.

Fifty-eight percent of those gender-minority students screened positive for depression in the previous two weeks, and 52 percent reported non-suicidal self-injury in the past year.

More than one-third of them reported seriously thinking about suicide in the past year.

Also key are mental-health concerns the researchers found among specific gender-minority populations: transgender, genderqueer, and self-identified gender, with trans subcategories female at birth and male at birth.

For instance, the authors found that trans-masculine students (male students who had been identified as female at birth) were 2.9 times likelier, and trans-feminine students (female students who had been identified as male at birth) were 1.6 times likelier, to have inflicted non-suicidal self-injury than did their cisgender peers within the past year. And in that same period, trans-masculine students were 2.6 times likelier, and trans-feminine students were 1.8 times likelier, to have had suicidal ideation.

Lipson says the next steps will involve longitudinal studies tracking how policies affirming gender-minority identities affect mental health. She hopes colleges will act fast, bettering, and perhaps saving, lives.

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2019 3:48 PM

Transgender is a psychological disorder. It's no surprise.

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2019 3:51 PM

Cutting is much higher amoung females, so that stat makes sense.

Who is to say that their gender issues are not part of the same? Not to mention the impact of Lupron and cross sex hormones have not been studied in minors.

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2019 3:55 PM

Not a surprise

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2019 3:59 PM

The look on the employee's face at r5 is PRICELESS.

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2019 4:01 PM

Does the article suggest that:

- Being T is part of a broader complex of psychological problems (correlation)

- Being T causes psychological problems

- Being T is the psychological problem

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2019 4:03 PM

I think r7 has a point.

I actually think that a lot of trans individuals are either on the autism spectrum or the cluster b spectrum .

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2019 4:06 PM

I think the article is implying that discrimination is the CAUSE of the pschological problems experienced by T.

I like your suggestions better as they seem more rooted in reality.

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2019 4:07 PM

Studies have shown exactly what you stated, R8. Which is why kids need mental health treatment not disolving bones from Lupron.

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2019 4:07 PM

And I have never known a straight FtM -- fwiw.

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2019 4:08 PM

What I would be interested in seeing is a study that looks at the incidence of claimed transgender identity with things like:

- the rise of exhibitionism and voyeurism (as illustrated by instagram and snapchat to broadcast intimate details of one's life) with a very close look at developed vs. under-developed countries

- celebrity culture and the need to find validation and approval externally (as Beverly Hofstadter said: having an external locus of identity).

- people have long struggled with individualism and finding their own identities. We have at once become more anonymous, just one of the crow, and less hidden. Attention seeking and narcissism.

by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2019 4:23 PM

This was a shitty study.

They did multivariate analyses with gender conformity as independent variable and and several measures of mental health as dependent variables. The only thing that we learn from this study is that trans people are more mentally ill according to self-report. There is no indication that this has anything to do with experiences of discrimination!

If they had been really serious, they would have assessed a multitude of covariates, including a history of mental illness and personality disorders, as well as diagnostics by trained experts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 17, 2019 4:39 PM

Agree, R13 but that might have been the opposite of the agenda being pushed, no?

by Anonymousreply 14August 17, 2019 4:52 PM

Between 1952 and 1973, homosexuality was classified as a mental disorder by the American Psychiatric Association. There were studies that proved "homosexual people are at a substantially higher risk for some forms of emotional problems, including suicidality, major depression, and anxiety disorder" too. So what's your point OP?

by Anonymousreply 15August 17, 2019 5:13 PM

R7, the article is suggesting that the reason Ts suffer more anxiety & depression is because of all the harassment & abuse they receive from anti-T bigots.

I’m sure they consider saying that women don’t have penises to be harassment.

by Anonymousreply 16August 17, 2019 5:14 PM

R15 this is the point

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 17, 2019 5:18 PM

R14, yep, and that's why there's a problem and why there's going to be a backlash at some point. I was in the pro-trans camp for a long time but this well-meant but ultimately harmful movement has gone too far. It's activist politics over rigorous methodology & reason now. And that for individuals that are, in my experience, often deeply homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 18August 17, 2019 5:18 PM

r15 is you can't see by now that "trans" (not genuine cases of gender dysphoria, but "genderqueer" and "ze/xyr" etc) is very different than gay, and that social contagion is a big part of it (past ten years or so), well, I'm sure nothing I can say will make you change your mind.

The number of gay men in any culture has always been at around the same rate. The way cultures have reacted to it have differed., but not the actual numbers. (See Iran or Saudi Arabia or even Renaissance Florence.)

There has been a huge rise in the number of self-identified trans people the past ten years, including teens and even children.

by Anonymousreply 19August 17, 2019 5:21 PM

Sorry for typos at r19

by Anonymousreply 20August 17, 2019 5:24 PM

What R19 has said was one of the first things that made me question true transgendered individuals. There simply cannot be many with this condition.

And then of course boys who like pink and playing with dolls must be female.

by Anonymousreply 21August 17, 2019 5:58 PM

Believe it.

Now is it chicken or egg?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 17, 2019 6:01 PM

From Twitter

Jennifer Bilek @bjportraits Transgenderism is a political ideology. It is overriding the rights of biological reality for most of humanity. It is being institutionalized in law, education, medicine, culture, & all our institutions at warp speed & it is censorious. This is not grassroots social justice. 8:08 AM · Aug 17, 2019·

by Anonymousreply 23August 17, 2019 7:41 PM

It would be useful if they also were comparatively measuring the prevalence of Axix II personality disorders like borderline personality disorder, antisocial disorder, and narcissistic personality disorder. My guess is they occur at a significantly higher rate among the trans.

by Anonymousreply 24August 17, 2019 9:04 PM

Studies like this raise the question: Do transgender people have a higher rate of mental problems because of the difficulty of being transgender, or are mentally ill people more likely to be transgender?

Honestly, I think there's a bit of both, and more of the latter than some people would like to admit. I'm really quite sure that some trans people (SOME, not all) are using transgenderism to deal with mental health issues. They think that if they can become the person they want to be, they'll feel better and the issues will go away, but that's now how mental health issues work.

by Anonymousreply 25August 17, 2019 10:16 PM

That is likely true particularly for autistic children (and adults), R25. Very black and white thinking and a sense of relief that THIS is why they have always felt different, have not fit in, etc. Plus a lot of time online and fewer IRL social rx makes them very vulnerable to social contagion.

by Anonymousreply 26August 17, 2019 10:40 PM

Mentally disturbed individuals are more likely to feel they are not the right gender, and do go on to mutilate their bodies. Their unrealistic expectations leads to increased emotional derangement and suicidality.

Yes. Trans students suffer from mental health issues, but these mental health issues precede the trans identity.

by Anonymousreply 27August 17, 2019 11:25 PM

So many transphobes spinning their shitty little lies.

by Anonymousreply 28August 17, 2019 11:34 PM

They're not lies, r28. In most cases, they're informed observations.

I'm in academia in the humanities and trust me, I see a lot firsthand.

by Anonymousreply 29August 17, 2019 11:45 PM

R28

This little girl...do you love and support her? She tells no lies, according to you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 18, 2019 1:11 AM

Transgenderism is a shitty lie. It’s impossible to change sex.

What’s the difference between a man & a transwoman? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. They are both males.

by Anonymousreply 31August 18, 2019 3:15 AM

I think people with certain types of psychological/psychiatric issues and conditions, do tend to be drawn to movements ,ideologies and social trends hat offer an Identity they can cling to, and a set of beliefs that answer "Why don't I feel like one of everyone else?" . Some seize the persecution narrative, some are attracted to being a defiant hero, fighting da man , holy war, the cis, etc. There'll also be quite a few "jihadis" who are more personality disorder than anything else. Reminds me of when devil-worshipper horror books and films were all the rage, and suddenly there were psych patients everywhere who were Satan or demons or fighting a holy feud with them.

by Anonymousreply 32August 21, 2019 6:08 AM

In other surprising findings from the latest research: Water is wet.

by Anonymousreply 33August 21, 2019 6:13 AM

"This trans house SHO GONE CRAZY!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 21, 2019 6:18 AM

Transgender needs external validation. Let's say a transgender person enjoys all benefits society offers: job, insurance, etc, except people seeing that person as the sex he/she identifies as. That person will suffer psychologically because his/her personal identity is not validated externally.

Homosexuality is different. We don't need external validation to be who we are and function normally.

by Anonymousreply 35August 21, 2019 6:47 AM

Trans are mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 36August 21, 2019 7:46 AM

R35, If not for external validation, why come out then?

by Anonymousreply 37August 21, 2019 4:36 PM

I believe there are true trans people but I also believe the movement has been the over by: (1) cis male incels and (2) liberal and unattractive cis people who think being trans is the easiest way to get attention.

by Anonymousreply 38August 21, 2019 4:42 PM

R37 People come out to be honest with themselves and family/friends. Gays don't usually cut their wrists or fight if people incorrectly label them as straight.

by Anonymousreply 39August 21, 2019 4:48 PM

EXACTLY R38

by Anonymousreply 40August 21, 2019 4:48 PM

r3

No it's not. It's like saying if you have Morgellons, you don't have threads in you. You do if you think you do and physicians can put them in there

by Anonymousreply 41August 21, 2019 4:49 PM

R38 True trans people exist the same way true schizophrenics and true anorexic people exist. It is mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 42August 21, 2019 4:55 PM

When do trans students find the time to do homework?

by Anonymousreply 43August 21, 2019 5:07 PM

The coming out thing is many times society cornering and pressuring homosexual people to declare their homosexuality. Coming out is pretty dehumanising because your homosexuality is treated like a crime to declare. When not, it's people being honest with themselves to remove the heterosexual mask you are forced to put on. In either case, no external validation is sought because homosexuality is a trait andnot an identity everybody has to adjust to for you to feel validated R37

by Anonymousreply 44August 21, 2019 6:15 PM

I want a study about the link between trans and narcissism.

by Anonymousreply 45August 21, 2019 6:42 PM

How come so many mtf think that women have it easier in this world than men? How come there’s such a thin line btw mtf trans and cis incels?

by Anonymousreply 46August 21, 2019 6:54 PM

“The only thing that we learn from this study is that trans people are more mentally ill according to self-report. There is no indication that this has anything to do with experiences of discrimination!”

Discrimination stuff is really situational in my opinion. After she came out as trans at her high school, my stepdaughter got treated much much better both by other students and school administrators. She was featured in the school annual report.

Her depression had improved and we were so happy and relieved: she announced that she was finally comfortable in her own skin. Then she developed an eating disorder - at this point it kind of feels like we’re playing whack a mole with her psychological problems.

There’s a lot more going on with most transgender teens than simple gender dysphoria.

by Anonymousreply 47August 21, 2019 7:26 PM

Get a retroactive abortion on her r47

by Anonymousreply 48August 21, 2019 7:38 PM

Oh, I’m sorry.... about HIM R47

by Anonymousreply 49August 21, 2019 7:41 PM

"I believe there are true trans people but I also believe the movement has been the over by: (1) cis male incels and (2) liberal and unattractive cis people who think being trans is the easiest way to get attention."

FFS, there is no such thing as "cis people." If you're using their language, then they've already won you over, whether you realize it or not.

by Anonymousreply 50August 21, 2019 8:42 PM

Yes r38....delete “cis” from your post, and replace it with “normal”.

by Anonymousreply 51August 21, 2019 9:39 PM

Crazy people are crazy, what a eye-opening study...

by Anonymousreply 52August 21, 2019 9:43 PM

Summer Beauties

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 21, 2019 9:58 PM

Chicago trans power couple, Precious and Myles Brady Davis, are expecting their first child.

Congratulations!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 21, 2019 10:05 PM

Transgender Beauty Queen, Tallen Abu Hanna

She battled bullying and hate, and became an inspiration.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 21, 2019 10:11 PM

For the Magdalen Berns fans here on DL, some bad news: It's very near the end and she is now blind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 22, 2019 12:22 AM

Sad news about Magdalen.

Long live our TERF WARROR QUEEN. We will not see her like again.

Start a Magdalen thread and spread the news r56

by Anonymousreply 57August 22, 2019 12:32 AM

Oh, R57, you know how it goes... Too many GC threads and they start deleting. That's why I put it here.

by Anonymousreply 58August 22, 2019 12:36 AM

The anti-Trans threads are clearly created by str8 novels who can’t, because of their social ineptitude, initiate an in-person conversation with anyone, male, female or trans.

So they hide behind their keyboards, secretly jacking off to the LGBT population they profess to detest.

-Cis Gay Dude

by Anonymousreply 59August 22, 2019 12:50 AM

novels = incels

by Anonymousreply 60August 22, 2019 12:51 AM

^ You can’t fool us.....you’re not a normal gay dude...you are a straight dude in a dress and a ratty wig

by Anonymousreply 61August 22, 2019 12:53 AM

God only knows who you are (intel) but my 7” unit is off limits to you, no matter how much you beg for it

by Anonymousreply 62August 22, 2019 12:56 AM

Incels, fraus, and TERFs.......Oh my!

A very delusional butchering of a fantasized Wizard of Oz. With a little help from the Breitbart brigade and Vlady Puty's minions.

They cometh to gay chat to rail against trans. How about going to trans sites where there are numbers to take this on.

by Anonymousreply 63August 22, 2019 2:40 AM

Trans students have more psychological problems!? What??? I find this hard to believe!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64August 22, 2019 2:51 AM

R59, try harder next time.

If it helps for better camouflage in the future, the idea that there is “hate” which is in fact based on secret sexual desires for the culture challenged, is so painfully “trans” in thinking that it hurts.

by Anonymousreply 65August 22, 2019 10:01 AM

It's all so exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 66August 22, 2019 12:36 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67August 22, 2019 3:35 PM

[quote]How come so many mtf think that women have it easier in this world than men?

Because the majority of mtfs want straight men so much their entire world revolves around it. Women get straight men, so therefore women have it easier.

by Anonymousreply 68August 22, 2019 3:46 PM

There are plenty of straight men, including wealthy and powerful bachelors, to go around for seeking women.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69August 22, 2019 5:19 PM

"Trans students" sounds like an oxymoron.

by Anonymousreply 70August 22, 2019 10:37 PM

I love threads like this, I can block all the psychotic trannies!

by Anonymousreply 71August 24, 2019 9:38 AM

The science is not difficult to figure out.

xx chromosomes - female

xy chromosomes - male

a person can take drugs to fool the body, but stop the drugs and they revert back. It's a mental problem.

by Anonymousreply 72August 24, 2019 10:21 AM

That's like saying mentally ill students are more likely to suffer from mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 73August 24, 2019 10:24 AM

As a young pupil in Catholic school we wanted more than anything to become a nun!

by Anonymousreply 74August 24, 2019 10:25 AM

Has anyone else noticed that some of the pro-trans people they follow on social media have suddenly gone veeeery quiet about trans issues ever since #WaxMyBalls?

by Anonymousreply 75August 24, 2019 10:31 AM

So what is this? Obsessive Jealousy of transgenders? Or Puty's trolls pretending to be undesirable feminists that can't get any?

by Anonymousreply 76August 24, 2019 10:40 AM

R75 JY is a one-man peaktrans machine

by Anonymousreply 77August 24, 2019 11:21 AM

[quote]Plus a lot of time online and fewer IRL social rx makes them very vulnerable to social contagion.

I’ve seen this happen in my own family. It’s sad but you can’t tell other people how to raise their kids.

by Anonymousreply 78August 24, 2019 12:07 PM

Yes, R76, everyone's intensely envious of people who look like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79August 24, 2019 1:37 PM

And just how is this news???

by Anonymousreply 80August 24, 2019 1:50 PM

Next up: Wet water is wet!

by Anonymousreply 81August 24, 2019 1:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!