Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The horror of new New York

They look like smokestacks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 26, 2019 1:08 AM

That's a long walk down if the elevators aren't working.

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2019 7:44 AM

As ugly as they are, they are Manhattan's future. They might block out the sunlight, but they are great for laundering money.

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2019 7:46 AM

Don't know what the fuck they're doing , other than chasing money. Brooklyn looks the same. The landmark commission is run by a foreign born individual ..

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2019 8:48 AM

The "sway" factor is significant enough to make some residents feel sea sick.

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2019 8:52 AM

If they stop as is, I think the difference in height looks rather beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2019 8:52 AM

They go up so fast, though. You can’t use streets around them for six months.

Then, overnight, you have blackened windows or the awkward furniture that nobody will ever sit on. Signs of life come from cars trying to mow you down as they exit the mega-garage.

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2019 9:01 AM

I can't imagine living that high up in the sky.

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2019 9:30 AM

How did New Yorkers fail to learn that very tall skinny buildings sticking up by themselves are a helluva bad idea? Seen through a 9/11 lens, these things look like slalem poles.

Another thing, what is MoMA doing encouraging this extreme aesthetic hideosity? Shocked when I learned they're expanding into one.

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2019 11:26 AM

NY’s bizarre rules concerning airspace and allowing the purchase of unused airspace are responsible for these. There is no other city with these kind of structures as they would prove uneconomical in any other city.

Rules meant to protect the city quality of life were perverted by developers and politicians and have turned the skyline into a nightmarish dystopia.

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2019 4:17 PM

Very Blade Runner. Welcome to the future.

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2019 4:30 PM

Pencil towers

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2019 4:34 PM

I hear lots of whining that they're indistinguishable. Just like the generation of towers built in the 20s, like Hampshire House, Essex House, Majestic, The Century, Eldorado, San Remo they have similarities but they're all very distinct. I think of them as symbols of progress and they aren't going anywhere. They won't be empty trophy apartments forever.

by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2019 4:45 PM

I have no complaints about how they look. And they are in a high rise area anyway. I think they add to the skyline.

The good thing is they add housing which NYC desperately needs. The bad thing is it’s for billionaires from elsewhere to own and keep empty except for the occasional weekend they are in town. With all the new construction in NYC, I bet the number of net new units has barely moved - because with the concentration of wealth, the super rich just keep buying up more space to live in and squeezing out the poor. (Ex, converting brownstones from six 1BR units to 1 huge single family house)

by Anonymousreply 13August 17, 2019 4:46 PM

Ugh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 25, 2019 4:10 PM

That they do, OP.

by Anonymousreply 15August 25, 2019 4:17 PM

R14 from the city’s self proclaimed “top real estate photographer”

by Anonymousreply 16August 25, 2019 4:18 PM

I bet Ryan Serhant can’t wait to knock around some Arab dong to sell those units

by Anonymousreply 17August 25, 2019 4:19 PM

Yeah. Looks good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 25, 2019 4:29 PM

2B or not 2B, r11?

by Anonymousreply 19August 25, 2019 4:34 PM

[quote]Rules meant to protect the city quality of life were perverted by developers and politicians and have turned the skyline into a nightmarish dystopia.

Right. How come it used to look so beautiful?

But, even in the 70s it was getting fucked up. The Park Lane Hotel (on the left) and GW (behind the statue).

But these new horrors cast a shadow over the park which should NEVER have been allowed and they're WAY TOO tall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 25, 2019 4:46 PM

R18 We already did that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 25, 2019 4:48 PM

In a way they look very much like how you might have imagined the New York of the future.

Same story on the ground.

by Anonymousreply 22August 25, 2019 4:51 PM

It’s very neat to live up high like that. It’s just going to look like Beijing Shanghai

by Anonymousreply 23August 25, 2019 4:53 PM

There was a long thread on this here. It's a very DL topic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 25, 2019 4:53 PM

And this one, R24.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 25, 2019 4:56 PM

And this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 25, 2019 4:56 PM

haha - I was only in 1 of those threads. Of course there are four.

by Anonymousreply 27August 25, 2019 5:08 PM

That first one that went up looks so out of place, like a giant middle finger in the center of Manhattan. I see it every day as I don’t work very far from it. It depresses me.

Thanks, vulgar ultrarich people!

by Anonymousreply 28August 25, 2019 5:22 PM

Except r23 those copycat towns are trying to look like nyc so why should we reciprocate?

by Anonymousreply 29August 25, 2019 5:23 PM

True Bootsy. How very true.

by Anonymousreply 30August 25, 2019 6:23 PM

R28 You’re right, it is a middle finger, both visually and intention. Purely about money, #latestagecapitalism

by Anonymousreply 31August 25, 2019 7:49 PM

That building on the left of OP's pic looks like Gene Rayburn's microphone on Match Game '73.

by Anonymousreply 32August 26, 2019 1:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!