Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is Jonathan Groff the most successful openly gay actor?

Was just watching him on Fallon and in the course of a few months, he's performing in the revival of Little Shop of Horrors in New York, coming back as the lead in season 2 of Mindhunter, one of Netflix's most popular and critically acclaimed series and he has Frozen 2, sure to be one of the most successful animated films of all time, out a couple of months later. That's a really diverse and hugely successful career.

I suppose you might say the wonderful Ian McKellen could claim that title, but, let's stick with actors under 100.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122August 24, 2019 10:02 PM

Luke Evans?

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2019 3:32 AM

He's not more successful than the gay from The Big Bang Theory and the gay from Modern Family

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2019 3:36 AM

Oooh, good one, R1. Yes, he could fit the bill.

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2019 3:36 AM

R2 - not trolling, you silly Billy, I was just struck by how cool it was to see an openly gay actor be so successful in so many different genres. Perhaps that's it -- that he's had massive successes in the theatre, in film and on TV. And that they're all so different from one another.

Yes, you're right, Jim Parsons would definitely have to be a contender for that title. I'd disagree with suggesting Jesse Tyler Ferguson is anywhere near the level of Parsons, Evans or Groff, though. Yes, Modern Family was a big hit series, but other than that, he's had a minor hit on Broadway and lots of one off concert staged performances and minor film roles. He's successful, of course, but no where near any of the others cited.

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2019 3:41 AM

Matt Bomer and Neil Patrick Harris are as successful as Groff, if not more so.

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2019 3:47 AM

Neil Patrick Harris has an Emmy, a Tony, was in a massively popular series and was famous and popular enough to host the Oscars. Much of that success happened after he came out. (Spacey had much higher highs, but he came out as his career collapsed). And there’s also Jim Parsons, the lead of this decade’s biggest sitcom hit, as terrible as it was.

Is Groff even more successful than Zachary Quinto, Matt Bomer. Cheyenne Jackson, Billy Eichner or Andrew Rannells? Even if he is for some of them, it’s not by much. He still has more notoriety than Chris Colfer or Colton Haynes or Charlie Carver, but that’s not a high bar to clear.

So out of the gay actors in the Ryan Murphy stable (which is every single actor mentioned but Spacey), he’s middle of the pack, at best.

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2019 3:48 AM

[quote] I suppose you might say the wonderful Ian McKellen could claim that title, but, let's stick with actors under 100.

Ian Mckellan is only 80.

Or are you just trying to say you're unapologetically ageist?

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2019 3:50 AM

Perhaps he is, OP, but I couldn't pick Jonathan Groff out of a line up.

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2019 3:54 AM

Maybe it's just a joke R7.

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2019 3:55 AM

It would be Ian McKellen, LOTR and Xmen. He has had starring roles in a lot big movies.

In terms of younger guys, I'm not sure who I would say but I'd put Zach Quinto, Luke Evans, NPH, and Parsons before Groff I think.

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2019 3:57 AM

Groff reminds me of a younger Peter Krause.

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2019 3:59 AM

Please don’t mention Spacey. He only came out when Anthony Rapp, and others finally told us what we already knew. His “oh by the way, I’m gay!”, just reaffirmed to the pearl clutchers and squirrel shooters, that all gay men are pedophiles.

by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2019 3:59 AM

Alan Cumming.

by Anonymousreply 13August 17, 2019 4:00 AM

John Barrowman

Tituss Burgess

Richard Chamberlain

Jesse Tyler Ferguson

Stephen Fry

John Benjamin Hickey

Cheyenne Jackson

Derek Jacobi (also 80)

T. R. Knight

Lee Pace

David Hyde Pierce

Zach Quinto

Andrew Rannells

Kevin Spacey

George Takei

Russell Tovey

BD Wong

by Anonymousreply 14August 17, 2019 4:01 AM

Yes Spacey doesn't t count r12, he wasn't openly.gay during pretty much all of his career.

by Anonymousreply 15August 17, 2019 4:02 AM

How many movies has Evans starred in since coming back out of the closet this last time, though? Didn't that only happen once Beauty and the Beast had come and gone in theaters?

I think NPH and Quinto are the most prominent youngish out male actors, though I'd say Groff is the more talented of that former couple by far. Lee Pace is also very talented and has been in a bunch of extremely successful films, though not as the lead. And Ben Whislaw's career seems to be on a definite upswing.

by Anonymousreply 16August 17, 2019 4:04 AM

I say yes just to piss off Jim and Neil and Zachary

by Anonymousreply 17August 17, 2019 4:06 AM

Whishaw is a wonderful mention. I don’t think he is the most successful right now, but with the way his career is going, in five years that answer might be an unequivocal yes.

by Anonymousreply 18August 17, 2019 4:09 AM

The “openly” thing is throwing me. Isn’t Lee still hiding behind “queer”, or has he finally come out? Luke Evens, I don’t even know anymore, and I don’t care. The ladies can have him.

by Anonymousreply 19August 17, 2019 4:14 AM

Bitch PUH-LEASE.

by Anonymousreply 20August 17, 2019 4:14 AM

Richard Chamberlain wasn't out for the majority of his career.

by Anonymousreply 21August 17, 2019 4:20 AM

R20 Ughhh...fine! Lily Tomlin, Sarah Paulson....it’s really hard, because a lot of these dink’s use it for publicity. Ellen Page, Jane Lynch, these 4 are gay and successful, but Ellen is the most successful of all!!

by Anonymousreply 22August 17, 2019 4:28 AM

If Kevin doesn’t count, neither does Jodie, who came out after she gave up acting as a regular pursuit. And we’re not talking about lesbians anyway, who are a whole nother kettle of..... um, never mind.

by Anonymousreply 23August 17, 2019 4:31 AM

That depends on what you're going by:

Jim Parsons had a hugely successful series, he made more money than any of them but he was part of an ensemble although he was hugely popular. He has multiple awards.

NPH has had the same luck: another huge series where he was part of an ensemble, made a lot of money but not more than Jim Parsons. Plus there's his Broadway success. The same goes for him with awards as well.

Matt Bomer was is the only one that has been the lead on multiple shows but only one was successful in the long term and lasted a few years. It should be noted that he didn't come out until after his biggest show "White Collar" had already started airing. He has a Golden Globe.

Sir Ian has been more successful in the movie arena than any of them.

Zachary Quinto (Regular on Heroes and then years later the Star Trek franchise), then Jesse Tyler & Groff would be next followed by everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 24August 17, 2019 4:42 AM

Luke Evans is a god to me. Beautiful, out, happy, rich, and living his best middle aged life.

by Anonymousreply 25August 17, 2019 4:45 AM

I would put Nathan Lane before Groff.

by Anonymousreply 26August 17, 2019 4:46 AM

Ben Whishaw is losing his looks by the day.

by Anonymousreply 27August 17, 2019 4:50 AM

[quote] Luke Evans is a god to me.

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 28August 17, 2019 4:51 AM

Groff was most "successful" in communicating why anyone would want to be a gay. Here he is having too much fun on the dance floor in Looking. I hated him as a straight boy in Glee, and loved him here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 17, 2019 5:01 AM

Let’s face it, if we’re going by the most successful actor during the time the actor was out, it is Sir Ian in a cakewalk. All of his fame is from after he was out. It’s like asking who the most famous Scientologist who claims to do his own stunts is.

R24, I’d differentiate Parsons from NPH in that Parsons has mass appeal as Sheldon but not really outside the role, while Harris did have Barney and Doogie, but people seem drawn to him apart from his signature roles (his hosting gigs, for example). As of right now, there isn’t much evidence that people like Parsons when he’s not doing his signature bit.

by Anonymousreply 30August 17, 2019 5:10 AM

Henry Cavill.

Oh, wait...

by Anonymousreply 31August 17, 2019 5:46 AM

Graham Norton acted. Successful talk show host, you’re seriously rolling in it!

by Anonymousreply 32August 17, 2019 5:59 AM

In some ways, what I think OP is [italic]really[/italic] asking (especially by excluding McKellan) is: which openly gay actor yet has been closest yet to playing leading man roles in TV or film? The answer to that would be Groff and Matt Bomer,. Otherwise, if it were just who was openly gay and the most famous as an actor, it would be McKellan, with George Takei and Jim Parsons and David Hyde Pierce right behind.

by Anonymousreply 33August 17, 2019 6:33 AM

R33 Good enough for me. Case closed!

by Anonymousreply 34August 17, 2019 6:39 AM

Bomber and Harris are over

by Anonymousreply 35August 17, 2019 6:44 AM

In short, the answer is- Not even close.

by Anonymousreply 36August 17, 2019 6:48 AM

R24 Zach also did AHS, still doing In Search of and NOSA42 and Boys in the Band was a broadway hit. I don't know how well Angels in America and the Glass M were with him, but he's done a number of Bway shows. World wide fame as Spock is no small potatoes.

Parson wins financially and BBT is also a world wide fame builder.

by Anonymousreply 37August 17, 2019 6:51 AM

I've never seen Luke Evans or Colton in anything but DL threads.

by Anonymousreply 38August 17, 2019 6:57 AM

he's aging kind of rapidly

but he has a sick singing voice, a pleasant speaking voice, and a FAT ass

by Anonymousreply 39August 17, 2019 6:57 AM

I don't understand the question?

by Anonymousreply 40August 17, 2019 7:22 AM

No, he is not.

by Anonymousreply 41August 17, 2019 7:34 AM

Is Jonathan Bennett not up for consideration?

by Anonymousreply 42August 17, 2019 7:41 AM

What is success? Groff's net worth is $3 million. Whishaw is $2 million. Bomer is $9 million. Quinto is $14 million. Mckellen is $55 million

by Anonymousreply 43August 17, 2019 8:32 AM

There are a lot of people who have barely heard of him outside of DL.

by Anonymousreply 44August 17, 2019 8:43 AM

Who cares about these gay boys. Let's talk about MY success and MY career.

by Anonymousreply 45August 17, 2019 8:51 AM

Does anyone outside of US even know who Jonathan Groff is? Ian McKellen is the most successful openly gay actor. It's not even up for dispute.

by Anonymousreply 46August 17, 2019 8:55 AM

R46 Plus McKellen does the best Maggie Smith impression.

by Anonymousreply 47August 17, 2019 10:48 AM

George Clooney, Tom Cruise, Sean Conn.... Oh. You meant openly.

by Anonymousreply 48August 17, 2019 10:53 AM

Of the younger ones, I feel like Andrew Scott and Ben Whishaw have the most artistic clout. The American gays, not so much. Groff comes the closest, probably.

by Anonymousreply 49August 17, 2019 11:11 AM

Let not forget Alan Cummings. While Andrew Scott and Ben Whishaw are highly regarded, Alan was there before and way above Groff.

by Anonymousreply 50August 17, 2019 11:16 AM

I'd think Groff has the lowest mainstream name recognition of practically anyone mentioned in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 51August 17, 2019 11:23 AM

Isn't Alan Cummings bisexual, r50?

by Anonymousreply 52August 17, 2019 11:26 AM

r51 You're right. Groff was in Glee, not even the star of that show while NPH was the star of HIMYM for years and Bomer's also more internationally known for his TV show.

r52 So we should have another thread for the most successful openly bi actor?

by Anonymousreply 53August 17, 2019 11:29 AM

I think it's wonderful that we can argue about so many openly gay actors being successful. Right now I am pretty stoked about Alan Cumming and his show Instinct. Usually I am not into these kind of murder investigation shows, but I like his. BTW he also joins a new show called Briarpatch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 17, 2019 11:29 AM

Just got canceled, r54.

by Anonymousreply 55August 17, 2019 4:30 PM

You guys are awesome. This thread has made me realize how many very successful, openly gay actors there working today. Yes, of course there should be more, but it's still very heartening.

by Anonymousreply 56August 17, 2019 4:37 PM

[quote]Is Jonathan Bennett not up for consideration?

He would be, if this were 2004 and if he hadn't been in the closet until a couple of years ago.

by Anonymousreply 57August 17, 2019 4:48 PM

r42=Jonathan Bennett.

No one would else would even think to mention him in this conversation.

by Anonymousreply 58August 17, 2019 4:49 PM

I only remember Jonathan Bennett from AMC. And the ep he did on L&O (SVU?) w/Sherilyn Fenn as the evil stepmonster who fucked and married him.

by Anonymousreply 59August 17, 2019 4:56 PM

Jonathan Bennett is best remembered as Aaron Samuels in "Mean Girls," and he's been milking it ever since, including recently co-writing a parody cookbook (parody meaning unlicensed) based on the movie.

by Anonymousreply 60August 17, 2019 5:16 PM

Alexander Skarsgard, Travis Fimmel.

by Anonymousreply 61August 17, 2019 5:45 PM

I don't know who Johnathon Groff is. I've never seen him act. but i recognize his face. That should tell you how successful he is.

by Anonymousreply 62August 17, 2019 5:54 PM

One thing that people are overlooking is that some of these people, like NPH (2006), Jim Parsons (2012) & Matt Bomer (2012) didn't come out until they were already on their most successful series.

I think there's something to be said about an actor's ability to book work before and after they come out.

[quote]Let’s face it, if we’re going by the most successful actor during the time the actor was out, it is Sir Ian in a cakewalk. All of his fame is from after he was out. It’s like asking who the most famous Scientologist who claims to do his own stunts is.

R30, I'll agree. No one can hold a candle to Sir Ian.

[quote]What is success? Groff's net worth is $3 million. Whishaw is $2 million. Bomer is $9 million. Quinto is $14 million. Mckellen is $55 million

These sites are rarely accurate. However, Sir Ian would clearly be worth the most.

[quote]I’d differentiate Parsons from NPH in that Parsons has mass appeal as Sheldon but not really outside the role, while Harris did have Barney and Doogie, but people seem drawn to him apart from his signature roles (his hosting gigs, for example). As of right now, there isn’t much evidence that people like Parsons when he’s not doing his signature bit.

Doogie doesn't count because NPH wasn't out until many years later. You're right about Parsons however. It should also be mentioned that while NPH has done hosting gigs and Broadway post coming out it remains to be seen if he can do much else.

However, like you said, there's something to be said about the variety and ability of an out gay actor to acquire roles and work consistently. Success is such an "amorphous" term. Is it based on money? Is it based on a long running series? Is it based on face recognition? I think Parsons covers a lot of those but prior to Big Bang Theory what was his career like?

[quote]Zach also did AHS, still doing In Search of and NOSA42 and Boys in the Band was a broadway hit. I don't know how well Angels in America and the Glass M were with him, but he's done a number of Bway shows. World wide fame as Spock is no small potatoes.

Bomer also did AHS & The Boys in the Band. However, he works more regularly than all of them at this point and is currently doing The Boys in the Band movie (with Quinto), the next season of The Sinner, a Warner TV series "Doom Patrol" and he has a recurring role on Will & Grace.

Getting to play Spock is nothing to laugh at. That's huge for him but it's not JUST his movie. Then we circle back around to Sir Ian McKellan.

I believe the general public would recognize Sir Ian, Parsons, Bomer, Quinto & NPH. I'm not so sure about everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 63August 17, 2019 7:01 PM

[Quote]These sites are rarely accurate. However, Sir Ian would clearly be worth the most

Nah, Parsons is the wealthiest. He would have made bank off that sitcom, they were getting a mil per episode, plus he is an exec producer of the spin off.

by Anonymousreply 64August 17, 2019 7:16 PM

[quote]Nah, Parsons is the wealthiest. He would have made bank off that sitcom, they were getting a mil per episode, plus he is an exec producer of the spin off.

He is!

[bold]But he wasn't on the list[/bold] that R43 mentioned referenced!

I was only talking about the ones they did which were Groff, Whishaw, Bomer, Quinto and McKellen!

by Anonymousreply 65August 17, 2019 7:31 PM

[quote] I don't know who Johnathon Groff is.

Oh, [italic]dear.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 66August 17, 2019 9:12 PM

[quote] I believe the general public would recognize Sir Ian, Parsons, Bomer, Quinto & NPH. I'm not so sure about everyone else.

I don't think they would recognize Bomer, tbh. "White Collar" was successful only very briefly, and even then it was only shown on the USA Network. And that was a couple of years ago.

They would recognize Kevin Spacey (whether you want to count him or not), George Takei, and David Hyde-Pierce, as well as Mckellan, Quinto, and NPH.

by Anonymousreply 67August 17, 2019 9:16 PM

I am not American and I know Bomer, from Chuck, White Collar, Tru Calling, AHS, TNH etc. I would have Bomer, Quinto and Parsons. Sir Ian is too old, he did not even occur to me.

by Anonymousreply 68August 17, 2019 10:12 PM

Richard Madden is. Game Of Thrones, The Bodyguard, and he has a marvel movie coming too.

by Anonymousreply 69August 17, 2019 10:22 PM

Definitely not r69. Even if we pretend Richard Madden is out, he wouldn't top this list. We can revisit if Eternals becomes a successful franchise.

by Anonymousreply 70August 17, 2019 10:25 PM

Must've been difficult being gay with Mennonite and Methodist parents in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.

by Anonymousreply 71August 17, 2019 10:45 PM

Does he have a boyfriend?

by Anonymousreply 72August 17, 2019 10:47 PM

R72 His boyfriend is a choreographer who teaches at Alvin Ailey. I believe he’s from New Zealand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73August 17, 2019 10:54 PM

Groff isn’t the most successful but he arguably has one of the most enviable careers for someone out. He gets to do musicals, Disney movies, prestige David Fincher crime shows and of course he got to play the gay ingenue in Looking, which many gays in their twenties would have loved to play. That show will definitely live on for baby gays.

He also is one of the few out gays that has a pretty clean reputation with the exception of fucking Quinto all those years.

by Anonymousreply 74August 17, 2019 11:01 PM

Groff is definitely an interesting case. I've never found him to be a terribly interesting performer, but he does have talent. Yet, he really has done a lot of stuff that most gay actors would only dream off. He still gets to play Seymour in Little Shop of Horrors after believably playing a straight man in a gritty David Fincher Netflix series. He seems more concerned with doing good, interesting work and working with interesting people than doing a Marvel movie and becoming super famous. Because of this, I think he's here to stay. Actors like that always end up sticking around and doing quality work until they die.

This is why I don't understand gay actors complaining that people won't cast them as leading men when they can't pass for straight anyway. Groff does it well and so does Bomer. This is why they continue to get to play romantic leading roles. Some of these people complaining come across like those entitled queeny theatre kids from high school who complained about losing out on the romantic leading role to the football jock. He could pass for straight and you couldn't. Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 75August 17, 2019 11:18 PM

I doubt Groff has turned down a Marvel movie (or many romantic comedies for that matter).

by Anonymousreply 76August 17, 2019 11:23 PM

And maybe he wouldn't turn a Marvel movie down if he were approached, but so far, it does seem as if he's been going towards more interesting, less commercial stuff.

by Anonymousreply 77August 17, 2019 11:28 PM

It's funny that you're using Groff to finger wag at other gay actors when Groff has weathered the exact sort of criticism referenced in your post ("not believably straight").

by Anonymousreply 78August 17, 2019 11:35 PM

[quote]Groff isn’t the most successful but he arguably has one of the most enviable careers for someone out.

I've always heard that he's a total sweetheart, so if true, perhaps that plays a part in his success as well. Regardless, I like him and very happy for him.

by Anonymousreply 79August 18, 2019 1:12 AM

Its definitely Spacey or Luke Evans. Though Kevin Rapey hid in the closet for years. Diane is still waiting at the altar. Parsons is definitely the richest. If and when Queen Latifah comes out it will be her as the most successful out actor.

by Anonymousreply 80August 18, 2019 1:14 AM

Queen Latifah's career has been cold for quite a while. She was actually a movie star for a brief time. Now she can't even get Ursula in The Little Mermaid movie, she has to do the role on TV.

by Anonymousreply 81August 18, 2019 1:18 AM

Not exactly "out", because it was still criminal, but Dirk Bogarde. Lived many years with his male partner and refused to "beard" Had the balls to make the film Victim. He had the looks for Hollywood and was a fantastic actor but refused to do a "Rock Hudson".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82August 18, 2019 1:36 AM

Bogarde deserves tremendous credit for VICTIM. But he closeted in his own way with his autobiographies.

by Anonymousreply 83August 18, 2019 1:44 AM

His dick is far too small for him to be considered successful.

by Anonymousreply 84August 18, 2019 1:45 AM

Tom Hardy shows that's a lie.

by Anonymousreply 85August 18, 2019 1:50 AM

Groff definitely should have been in Boys in the Band with all the other gays but I guess there’s still drama between him and Quinto.

by Anonymousreply 86August 18, 2019 2:56 AM

Most of the Boys in the Band cast were too old for their roles. If Groff were in the cast, that fact would be even more apparent.

by Anonymousreply 87August 18, 2019 3:10 AM

[quote]He also is one of the few out gays that has a pretty clean reputation with the exception of fucking Quinto all those years.

Parsons, Bomer and Groff have pretty clean reps. Then again the majority of them do.

NPH (picking up gays with his husband in Harlem), Rannells (part of the Broadway dick pic leak fiasco & pretty much every story he's ever told), Quinto (leak + countless stories from guys who have had him and the nasty sex he is into) and Cheyenne Jackson (that horrible sex tape) do not.

[quote]Its definitely Spacey or Luke Evans. Though Kevin Rapey hid in the closet for years. Diane is still waiting at the altar. Parsons is definitely the richest. If and when Queen Latifah comes out it will be her as the most successful out actor.

I feel there's a difference between being an "out gay" actor and being a "closeted gay" actor when it comes to the question of who is the most successful openly gay actor. Would Spacey have had the career he had if he were out before? Would Queen Latifah? Many guys mentioned here are out and working. A couple of them like Spacey didn't come out during the height of their career or while they were doing the majority of the work they were known for.

[quote]Groff definitely should have been in Boys in the Band with all the other gays but I guess there’s still drama between him and Quinto.

Groff was filming Mindhunter S2 when the "Boys in the Band" production was going on.

He couldn't have done it even if he had of been asked during their 9 month shoot which wrapped in December.

David Fincher waits for no one.

by Anonymousreply 88August 18, 2019 3:57 AM

NPH by far. He's also hugely popular with kids by way of playing the villain in A Series of Unfortunate Events on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 89August 18, 2019 4:08 AM

I hate to say this but Groff as with Miles Heizer is totally unconvincing playing straight on Mindhunter. He would never be considered to play a superhero unless the character is gay.

Sorry I'm just being honest.

As Netflix is available in 190 countries is safe to say he is well known outside the us.

by Anonymousreply 90August 18, 2019 4:20 AM

Yet Groff, like Miles Heizer, is repeatedly hired to play heterosexuals.

by Anonymousreply 91August 18, 2019 4:27 AM

I think it's interesting that of the original "Spring Awakening" cast, Groff has seemed to have a better career than John Gallagher, Jr., who was the straight guy in the cast and the one who won the Tony. And stating this isn't a dig against Gallagher by any means, just saying it's unusual in that business to see the openly-gay guy come out ahead of the straight guy.

by Anonymousreply 92August 18, 2019 4:30 AM

r90, you are picking up on things that straights don't. Most straights don't pick up on subtleties. They only know a guy is gay if he is flaming, or talks with his hands and has a lisp. They may call some actors like Tom Cruise or Will Smith faggots, because they are metrosexual but I don't even think they truly think they are gay.

by Anonymousreply 93August 18, 2019 4:35 AM

Sean Hayes

by Anonymousreply 94August 18, 2019 4:38 AM

Groff was taken under Ryan Murphy's wing early. He did a pilot called PRETTY/HANDSOME before joining GLEE.

by Anonymousreply 95August 18, 2019 4:41 AM

I'm not. Do a Google search and you'll find as many threads on how unconvincing Heizer and Groff are playing straight. You can't be this clueless.

Heizers inability to play straight is so known they even wrote it into 13 reasons why and his character will come out this season.

by Anonymousreply 96August 18, 2019 4:42 AM

R96 That’s completely untrue. Heizer’s character is straight on the show and is in the main love triangle - there’s zero evidence that he’s going to “come out” in any way next season.

[quote] Groff was taken under Ryan Murphy's wing early. He did a pilot called PRETTY/HANDSOME before joining GLEE.

Plus Groff is actually the one who introduced Ryan and Lea Michele and set her up for Glee.

by Anonymousreply 97August 18, 2019 4:54 AM

[quote] I am not American and I know Bomer, from Chuck, White Collar, Tru Calling, AHS, TNH etc.

Yes--"Tru Calling" was such a popular hit, and his appearances on "AHS" have been so extended and incredibly noteworthy.

What was I thinking!

by Anonymousreply 98August 18, 2019 4:58 AM

[quote]I don't think they would recognize Bomer, tbh. "White Collar" was successful only very briefly,

It was on for 6 years.

[quote]and even then it was only shown on the USA Network.

It was on internationally on Netflix for years.

[quote]And that was a couple of years ago.

It went off in 2014?!?!

[quote]Yes--"Tru Calling" was such a popular hit, and his appearances on "AHS" have been so extended and incredibly noteworthy. as was/is American Horror Story and his season with Lady Gaga. What was I thinking!

Do you actually know how huge Lady Gaga is? He was on the season with Lady Gaga which was also on Netflix internationally and still is. She won a Golden Globe for it. She got people to watch that season that normally wouldn't have.

Cut the bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 99August 18, 2019 5:25 AM

R99 You are delusional, White Collar has a tiny audience, as did Tru Calling. And AHS has always had a small, niche audience, but does not pick up new viewers, and certainly not courtesy of Lady fucking GaGa

by Anonymousreply 100August 18, 2019 5:33 AM

Girls, girls. Stop fighting. The important thing is, Matt has a fantastic ass and a decent career.

by Anonymousreply 101August 18, 2019 5:36 AM

It's a shame he's not a better actor.

by Anonymousreply 102August 18, 2019 5:40 AM

R101, I mean if you're gonna bash the dude at least make it make sense & have some basis in reality.

by Anonymousreply 103August 18, 2019 5:41 AM

[quote]That’s completely untrue. Heizer’s character is straight on the show and is in the main love triangle - there’s zero evidence that he’s going to “come out” in any way next season.

🙄 You clearly haven't watched this show have you? Heizer's character had a major boner when wrestling Zach, you probably missed that part. Half of his story arc revolved around his sexuality as he struggled with not being able to get a hard on for Jessica then suddenly got a major one for a dude. Are you fucking blind? You're either a troll or you're just commenting on something you haven't watched. There are entire threads on reddit about it you can't be serious. He will come out as bisexual, trust me.

by Anonymousreply 104August 18, 2019 8:55 AM

R102 he is a very good actor.

by Anonymousreply 105August 18, 2019 11:37 AM

NPH was the first person who came to mind. Jim Parsons probably has an edge over him, though. But "100" or not, Sir Ian McKellen must be the most successful. And he earned so much of his success after coming out. Parsons was still in the closet until after TBBT was a huge hit.

by Anonymousreply 106August 18, 2019 12:04 PM

R93 Metro or not, I bet Cruise is pretty good at sucking cock at this point.

by Anonymousreply 107August 18, 2019 12:38 PM

Ian McKellen had probably the biggest movie mainstream exposure because of the X-Men and Lord of the Rings franchises.

TV-wise Jim Parsons was named as one of the highest paid actors on a TV series (The Big Bang Theory) ever.

Neither of them made out with guys or played gay characters in their most famous roles.

Some of the well known roles of Matt Bomer, Jonathan Groff, and Neil Patrick Harris were gay.

by Anonymousreply 108August 18, 2019 1:45 PM

NPH and Bomer have done fuck all gay roles on TV, and barely any on stage

by Anonymousreply 109August 18, 2019 9:23 PM

I'm still hoping NPH will return to series televison in [italic]Douglas Howser, M.D.[/italic], one of these fall seasons. He'll come home from wherever the hell he's been to practice medicine in Los Angeles, with his husband in tow. But will his husband be one Vincent Del Pino or an actor-slash-catering chef named David?

by Anonymousreply 110August 18, 2019 9:28 PM

Really liked Mindhunter Season 1 and 2, except for the underdeveloped storyline between Groff and Tracey the Omni clerk. Their characters had a believable moment, and should've gone for a dessert. Groff is a super talented and professional actor.

I do hope he gets a gay storyline too but in Mindhunter dating a black character would've been cool, and believable. Matt Bomer should've come out as bisexual to his main squeeze then dated a gay character.

Although it comes back to 'cripping it up', should Able-Bodied play disabled characters? No, whenever possible, use disabled actors. Should straight actors play gay characters? Or gay actors straight or gay characters? Ha. Hope I made you think. I identify as a crip btw!

by Anonymousreply 111August 18, 2019 9:43 PM

R104 Truly hilarious considering that Heizer’s character is confessing his love to the female lead in the latest social media promos for the show. His character is not gay or bi.

by Anonymousreply 112August 19, 2019 12:30 AM

Yesterday Groff was on with Kelly and Ryan. Mentioned buying a house near where he grew up in Lancaster County to be near his family.. He used the term "we" several times, guess he means the boy friend,

by Anonymousreply 113August 20, 2019 8:16 PM

I love him. I've been watching his You Tube stuff and he is adorable and he is a flirt! He made Stephen Colbert blush. I think he's extremely talented. I'd love to see him go for the EGOT. He was nominated for Tony twice, he has a Grammy, and he could grab an Emmy for something not necessarily Mindhunter, but something else. He grew up in Amish country and his Granny was Mennonite. His father trains and races horses.

by Anonymousreply 114August 20, 2019 8:30 PM

[Quote] not necessarily Mindhunter, but something else.

He's not giving a very good performance?

by Anonymousreply 115August 20, 2019 8:48 PM

It's great that these actors are able to maintain a successful career and live openly. Not possible even 20 years ago. It's not surprising that Tom Cruise never came out - at the time it would've been professional suicide. Same with Travolta. Spacey was never in the running so he should have just been out and proud like Nathan.

by Anonymousreply 116August 20, 2019 8:53 PM

I've openly gay for some of my career, so what about me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117August 20, 2019 8:55 PM

[quote] It went off in 2014?!?!

Yes, honey--this is 2019, so that was a full five years ago.

[quote] Do you actually know how huge Lady Gaga is? He was on the season with Lady Gaga which was also on Netflix internationally and still is. She won a Golden Globe for it. She got people to watch that season that normally wouldn't have.

So you think ALL of her fans watched AHS (!), and that they would all instantly recognize today someone who played a small part that season just because she was on it too?!?

[quote] Cut the bullshit.

Physician-Matt Bomer stan, heal thyself.

by Anonymousreply 118August 20, 2019 9:00 PM

Groff is charming in interviews. I just heard his interview on Fresh Air where he talked about his drag period at age 6!

by Anonymousreply 119August 20, 2019 9:06 PM

Jim Parsons' net worth: $100 million. He wins this thread, by a wide margin.

by Anonymousreply 120August 20, 2019 9:07 PM

[Quote] where he talked about his drag period at age 6!

Julian Morris would never.

by Anonymousreply 121August 20, 2019 9:09 PM

One thing to take into consideration R63 and others that discussed it, is that Parsons not only gained world wide recognition, he was also well liked in the role. Thus, his spin off Young Sheldon has similar mass appeal with him narrating and exec. producing it. What he garnered in BBT was MONEY and lots of it. Which gives him the freedom to create, produce, direct and whatever else he wants - and he can act in his productions. That means developing shows, films, plays, whatever, with other big money men (like Chuck Lorre) around himself. Or pretty much doing whatever he wants. I think he is in an amazing position for an openly gay actor.

As an aside, I am not sure why he was left off the Net Worth list, but he blows everyone out of the water in that category.

That said, Ian, with his Smith/Dench-like credentials is still untouchable in many ways.

by Anonymousreply 122August 24, 2019 10:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!