Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Peter Fonda dead at 79.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 19, 2019 6:47 PM

Be easy, Rider

by Anonymousreply 1August 16, 2019 10:44 PM

He was always best known for Easy Rider.

by Anonymousreply 2August 16, 2019 10:44 PM

RIP

by Anonymousreply 3August 16, 2019 10:45 PM

A very great lady.

by Anonymousreply 4August 16, 2019 10:46 PM

Jane was interviewed recently and said she wasn’t as close to Peter as they should be and she hoped that one day they could visit their mom’s grave together. She gave no indication that he was ill.

by Anonymousreply 5August 16, 2019 10:46 PM

Fucking lung cancer again.

by Anonymousreply 6August 16, 2019 10:47 PM

I don't know if you know this but I turned down Easy Rider.

by Anonymousreply 7August 16, 2019 10:50 PM

Who fares

by Anonymousreply 8August 16, 2019 10:56 PM

R6, he was 79. At that age, you could die of anything. Lung cancer is not the best way to go, but it's not the worst, especially if it wasn't discovered until the disease was advanced.

I've seen many older family members age through their 80s. It's usually not pretty. Dying of a fairly rapid disease process after living 79 years of what was undeniably a full and interesting life ... there are worse fates.

RIP, Peter.

by Anonymousreply 9August 16, 2019 10:59 PM

He was a nitwit. Details later, if necessary.

by Anonymousreply 10August 16, 2019 11:05 PM

This reminds me, I never got around to watching Ulee's Gold.

by Anonymousreply 11August 16, 2019 11:15 PM

The lesser Fonda.

by Anonymousreply 12August 16, 2019 11:26 PM

Always in his beautiful, talented sister's shadow, as I'm sure he was well aware.

by Anonymousreply 13August 16, 2019 11:30 PM

[quote] Lung cancer is not the best way to go, but it's not the worst

As a palliative care nurse I think it is one of the worst deaths. A lucky few get pneumonia and go that way but the worst deaths I’ve been witness to have all been lung cancer deaths.

by Anonymousreply 14August 16, 2019 11:35 PM

R13, and then in Bridget’s shadow.

by Anonymousreply 15August 16, 2019 11:41 PM

Very handsome guy. he only gave one genuinely great performance I ever saw--in "Ulee's Gold."

by Anonymousreply 16August 16, 2019 11:42 PM

Did he contribute to my Go Fund Me?

by Anonymousreply 17August 16, 2019 11:48 PM

Fonda Peter

by Anonymousreply 18August 17, 2019 12:31 AM

Jane was extraordinarily beautiful. She looks more like their father and Peter looks more like their mother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 17, 2019 12:41 AM

No. Henry was more handsome than Jane was pretty.

by Anonymousreply 20August 17, 2019 12:44 AM

Yes Peter has his mom’s eyes, Jane has Henry’s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 17, 2019 12:45 AM

Paying a long overdue bill. Back in his day he did enormous damage glamorizing drugs and motorcycle gangs.

by Anonymousreply 22August 17, 2019 1:13 AM

I'm surprised nobody ratted out his illness while he was sick.

by Anonymousreply 23August 17, 2019 1:16 AM

What happened to Jane’s and Peter’s sibling?

by Anonymousreply 24August 17, 2019 1:25 AM

R11 Not a bad movie actually.

by Anonymousreply 25August 17, 2019 1:35 AM

Japanese commercial costarring Bananarama.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 17, 2019 1:36 AM

R19 Boy, there's always a lot of tension in those old photos of the Fondas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 17, 2019 1:44 AM

RIP!

by Anonymousreply 28August 17, 2019 1:46 AM

There are 5 threads on this news, but since this is the only one to not use the worn-out "DEAD to me" heading I will comment here.

My heart goes out to Jane over the loss of her brother. Peter Fonda was a revolutionary filmmaker during a revolutionary time.

by Anonymousreply 29August 17, 2019 2:35 AM

Sad. Too bad it wasn’t an actor that was a Trumpster.

by Anonymousreply 30August 17, 2019 2:37 AM

R30 Yes. Like Susan Olsen.

by Anonymousreply 31August 17, 2019 2:39 AM

or James Woods.

by Anonymousreply 32August 17, 2019 2:40 AM

I honestly believed he died years ago. He didn't?

by Anonymousreply 33August 17, 2019 2:42 AM

He lived a quiet life in Montana for the most part.

by Anonymousreply 34August 17, 2019 3:21 AM

[quote]I honestly believed he died years ago. He didn't?

You missed out on his anti-Trump Twitter posts; he truly gave no fucks. I'll never forget the time he called Huckabeast a "lying gash". He got major shit from Trumpers when he suggested someone "snatch Barron from Melania's arms and lock him in a cage".

by Anonymousreply 35August 17, 2019 3:45 AM

Thank you R29. I searched and there wasn't a thread about Peter's passing, but apparently there was at least one before me. DL can be fickle in their thread title.

by Anonymousreply 36August 17, 2019 4:09 AM

Why weren't Peter and Jane close? Anything juicy?

by Anonymousreply 37August 17, 2019 4:27 AM

R37 She was on WTF recently and I think it the just a result of their upbringing. Jane was in a girls boarding school and then off doing her thing, Peter doing his. The emotional repression they grew up with meant they weren’t able to connect and then life got in the way. She said she wished they were closer and they should be. It was a good interview with her. Marc says Peter was on the show not too long ago too so I’m going to listen to that over the weekend.

by Anonymousreply 38August 17, 2019 8:39 AM

Jane Fonda reacts to the death of her brother, Peter: “I am very sad. He was my sweet-hearted baby brother. The talker of the family. I have had beautiful alone time with him these last days. He went out laughing."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 17, 2019 3:08 PM

I love how the minute there is news of a celebrity death how quick the DL sheep are to start a "DEAD to me" thread as if it's the most clever and original idea.

Pathetic...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 17, 2019 4:22 PM

Some of you are so sensitive, it's a wonder you can bear to post at, or read, DL at all.

by Anonymousreply 41August 17, 2019 4:25 PM

I would debate that lung cancer is the worst way to go. I’ve seen 2 liver cancers and they looked horrible. Because the liver can’t process morphine, the pain couldn’t be fully alleviated - even with suppositories.

I just watched an HBO special about dying and one of the guys had lung cancer at 76. He took a specially designed - in CA - mixture to kill himself when the disease progressed. While there was some breath rattle - as in all the dying - it seemed like the right way to go. I juts hope they legalize it in NY before I have to die. It’s really the only humane way to die from cancer - effectively a morphine overdose.

by Anonymousreply 42August 17, 2019 4:34 PM

It’s a futile debate really because cancer deaths suck, period. Lung cancer though tends to mets to the spine and brain. The spine mets is excruciatingly painful and the brain mets robs the patient of dignity. Depending on the part of the brain, patients can lose the ability to walk, talk, use cutlery, lose memory, lose sense of time and place. The good thing is they can “lose their mind” before the body gives out so they are unaware of what’s happening. But it is very distressing for all involved. The also have the risk of bleeding to death of the tumor presses on an artery. Thankfully, I’ve only had two patients bleed out and we did out best using black sheets and washing up as fast as we could but it’s awful for the family. Pancreatic cancer is nasty too but I stand by my statement that the worst desths (loss of dignity, pain, symptoms, how long it took to die) were lung cancer deaths. 95% of those patients were long term smokers so they’re usually co existing morbidities like COPD and peripheral arterial disease. Yes, you have to die from something and yes, non smokers do get lung cancer but facts remain that over 90% of those diagnosed were smokers. I see so much unnecessary suffering that I have zero tolerance for smoking in this day and age.

Of course, some people get away lighter. They are diagnosed very late, have no symptoms and pass within days or weeks or being put into hospice care. There’s a lot of debate on whether we should screen for lung cancer. Does it improve survival rates and does it reduce patient suffering. The jury is out but most oncologists are against early screening because even caught at an early stage the prognosis is dim and for small cell lung cancer it’s dire.

by Anonymousreply 43August 17, 2019 4:51 PM

Thanks for insight R43. I appreciate now that the mets to brain and spine may make it more debilitating. One of the “liver” deaths I saw was actually pancreatic - which is deadly because it mets to the liver.

Sucks because even if genetically you have huge risk of cancer, screening is not really great for a lot of cancers - like pancreatic. Try not to worry too much about it. But it’s really crazy that government does not allow us “right to die” in a less painful way. God damn Christians just can’t leave us alone - want everyone to suffer from birth to death.

by Anonymousreply 44August 17, 2019 10:00 PM

Cancer killed Peter and this thread.

by Anonymousreply 45August 19, 2019 5:14 PM

He looked like a Kennedy when he was younger.

by Anonymousreply 46August 19, 2019 5:26 PM

[quote] He looked like a Kennedy when he was younger.

I agree.

by Anonymousreply 47August 19, 2019 6:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!