Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"GODSPELL" Stage vs. Movie

I consider the recordings of this musical some of the most joyous and catchy music I've ever heard in a musical (but don't get me started on the Broadway revival from a few years back where the songs all had altered arrangements.) I'm an atheist and I still love it.

The movie though, suffers a bit. What was the reaction to the film when it came out? Seems like the nutty, happy-go-lucky clowns would work better on stage. But Lynne Thigpen knocks it out of the park with "Bless the Lord" and it's a great look at 70s New York.

by Anonymousreply 28August 19, 2019 4:07 PM

Jesus Christ! Post the clip.

by Anonymousreply 1August 16, 2019 4:01 PM

I saw the last Broadway revival, it’s losing the hippie feeling

by Anonymousreply 2August 16, 2019 4:09 PM

R1 Miss OP is ancient, she probably doesn't know how.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 16, 2019 4:11 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 16, 2019 4:13 PM

The movie uses NYC brilliantly and the caSt is good. However, it IS a very theatrical piece and really meant for the theatre. Love Lynn Thigpen!

by Anonymousreply 5August 16, 2019 4:47 PM

I have always hated that stink-ass song "We Can Build A Beautiful City." What a shitty song.

And I agree that the last NYC production sucked big time. It's a difficult show to get right, but Broadway should be able to do it properly.

by Anonymousreply 6August 16, 2019 4:56 PM

What the movie did well was establish at the beginning the call from "normal" life to disciples. The stage show has that long and atonal "Tower of Babble" song and then suddenly they are junkyard hobo clowns.

by Anonymousreply 7August 16, 2019 5:12 PM

I agree, R6. It was written for the film and it doesn't sound like any of the other songs. Sounds like a Saturday Morning song for Kaptain Kool and the Kongs.

by Anonymousreply 8August 16, 2019 5:17 PM

Tiny little stage show blown up to the size of the World Trade Center.

At best, it can be said that the film was received with great reservation.

No one can fault most of the performances, though. Jeffrey Mylett, an early loss to AIDS, is heartbreakingly sweet in the film. We lost much that was great in the 80's and 90's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 16, 2019 5:17 PM

I thought the guy who played John the Baptist/Judas in the film, David Haskell, was hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 16, 2019 5:25 PM

Godspell didn't transfer to the screen as well as Hair did. Hair did it right. Even the lightweight songs were made to look good on screen. The constant motion of the car makes up visually for the feeling that there should be a red bouncing ball over the lyrics to this song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 16, 2019 5:32 PM

"Hair" added a story to what was a bunch of vignettes. The film of "Godspell" keeps it in the "let's tell parables" mode and the actors are doing their best vaudeville schtick.

by Anonymousreply 12August 16, 2019 6:14 PM

OMG this ending.

When they turn the corner.....and then you see the people walking.....*sob*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 16, 2019 10:07 PM

Didn't David Haskell play Jesus in the original NY production? And Victor Garber played Jesus in the first Canadian production?

by Anonymousreply 14August 17, 2019 4:49 PM

IMHO the film is unbearable, a twee mess or a period piece that showcases the worst kind of sixties goofy self-indulgence.

It's the sort of movie that makes me feel deeply sorry for the performers. I mean, they've got real talent and they need to work, but THAT is the best they could do?

by Anonymousreply 15August 17, 2019 11:14 PM

Hair and Godspell and a brief moment in college were the last times I felt positive about religion. Now when I see Gospell I think of the Manson family or the scene in Meet the Parents when Ben Stiller says grace. Kind of sad. Believing when I was younger kept me insulated and put some order in my life in a good way.. Now I pretty much hate the world and a whole subset of people which I never did before. As Ricky Gervais says I believe in dogs.

by Anonymousreply 16August 17, 2019 11:28 PM

I saw that thing one summer when I was living in NYC and would see ANYTHING to be inside an air-conditioned theater.....Yes, it was that long ago. ANYTHING. Even "Godspell."

by Anonymousreply 17August 17, 2019 11:38 PM

Day by Day is one of the earliest songs I ever remember learning.

by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2019 2:22 PM

Godspell only works if you lived through the time when hippies were a thing.

by Anonymousreply 19August 18, 2019 2:28 PM

Wasn't Godspell originally supposed to be a satire of the life of Jesus? But because of the times and young people searching for some connection, it actually became more meaningful?

by Anonymousreply 20August 18, 2019 2:34 PM

[quote]Didn't David Haskell play Jesus in the original NY production?

No, David played the Judas character in the original that played Cherry Lane Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 21August 18, 2019 2:42 PM

Film came out the same year as "Jesus Christ Superstar." What a year.

by Anonymousreply 22August 19, 2019 1:44 PM

It was people reaching for meaning after processing the horror of the last decade that preceded it. Multiple assassinations, the war, a breakdown of traditional society......people were SHOOK.

by Anonymousreply 23August 19, 2019 2:05 PM

Why is ti called 'Godspell'? Is it a play on 'gospel'?

by Anonymousreply 24August 19, 2019 2:18 PM

Yes, R24.

by Anonymousreply 25August 19, 2019 2:26 PM

The iconic poster is beautiful and done by the same guy who did the original "Follies" poster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 19, 2019 2:28 PM

Having gone to Catholic grade and high schools, Godspell was a staple. We all knew the songs well.

by Anonymousreply 27August 19, 2019 3:56 PM

My favorite song of all is "By My Side" which was retained from the original, original production and not composed by Schwartz.

by Anonymousreply 28August 19, 2019 4:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!