Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ryan O'Neal and Anjelica Huston Stories

From Allegra Huston book "Love Child":

Anjel ran to the man and kissed him, I followed,“This is Ryan,' she said to me, O'Neal: I knew. He was big and broad-chested, with wavy blond hair and lips the same color as his skin. He'd starred in Love Story, When I was in fourth grade in Long Island, The men at the other end were, I found out later, his brother and his coke dealer.

They sloped off northward up the beach—playmates on call, no longer required—when they saw Anjel and me arrive. We took up position closer to Ryan than where they had been, and the incoming fire started. I wasn’t any better at Frisbee—even Frisbee as I knew it—than I was at any other physical activity. I could catch them if they didn't hit my hand too hard—which most of Ryan’s did.

When I threw, the Frisbee either went flinging off wildly or ran out of steam no more than halfway to where Ryan stood.He loped up the beach.”Let’s see you throw.” Without letting go, he demonstrated a few times: the whip of the wrist that launched it into flight.

He didn’t say much, and he didn’t criticize. He took the attitude that nobody except him knew how to throw a Frisbee, and it was his mission to teach the underprivileged. So he was patient and precise..... It didn't surprise me that Anjel was good at it; she was good at everything, I traded with her for the lighter ones, which were easier to throw—and some actually made it to Ryan.

He gave me a nod of approval whenever I threw one well, I felt sporty, coordinated, capable, for the first time in my life, I was with Anjel in her world—and I belonged there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347August 25, 2019 7:47 PM

The previous Christmas, when Anjelica gave me an outfit of bellsleeved blouse and bell-bottomed trousers in silky white rayon, and a pair of sandals like cat's cradles fixed into shiny wooden platforms, "Tatum O'Neal clothes," Tatum was only a year older than me, but Ryan bought her slinky dresses and took her to parties,I didn't dislike the Tatum O'Neal clothes: they just had nothing to do with me, I didn't even feel right hanging them up with my other clothes.

Had Anjel given them to me because she wanted me to be like Tatum, whom I still hadn't met? I didn't have a tenth of the confidence to carry them off. They stayed in their box on the floor of my closet.

Now I was sleeping in Tatum's bed—actually, beds, Ryan had two houses: the Malibu house and another in Beverly Hills, on topof a mountain across the canyon from Gloom Castle* We'd spend a few days at one, then a few days at the other, according to his moods*

Tatum was in England, making International Velvet , but her closets were bursting with the clothes shed left behind, all scented with Saint-Laurent Rive Gauche, which—I discovered when she came home—she sprayed directly onto them and poured into the rinse water of the washing machine*

She and her brother Griffin lived with Ryan because, I was told, their mother was crazy*

Griffin was a year younger than me and small for his age, with leaf-green eyes and a freckled face .Instantly he became like another little brother to me* I felt tender toward him, protective of him* He seemed lonely.

by Anonymousreply 1August 16, 2019 4:11 AM

Playing frisbee? Let's hear something more juicy.

by Anonymousreply 2August 16, 2019 4:11 AM

He tried on my high-platform shoes once at the beach house, acting the clown* Anjel was fixing a Coke and lemon in the kitchen, and I saw her glance nervously at the stairs.

I realized that she didn't want Ryan to see this: his son wearing girl's shoes, even for fun. I made my laughter less loud, and tried to get my shoes back* But Griffin kept clomping around in them, stretching out the joke, as if daring his father to come down and see him*

Ryan was filming The Driver that summer, and it was mostly night shoots. He'd wake up around two or three in the afternoon and head out onto the beach, Anjel and I following, for a session of Fris- bee* Griffin rarely played—he liked to surf, but mostly he just stayed in his room, smoking dope*

*Then we'd all have a sauna together* Soon I stopped being self- conscious about my nakedness, or about Ryan’s. I did start shaving my legs*

Once it was dark, we'd drive in the Corniche down to the dock neighborhood of San Pedro* Usually I sat on the armrest between the two front seats, while Griffin burrowed like a little animal in the back*

Ryan draped his right arm across me to rest his hand on Anjel's thigh as he drove*In an alleyway near the set I found a tiny cat, barely bigger than my hand, with long gray-brown fur and a perfectly triangular face* She seemed completely alone* She let me pick her up and carry her back to Ryans Winnebago*"

She's probably hungry," said Anjel* We had bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches—Ryan's favorite food, aside from tomato soup* Her tiny teeth seemed too small to deal with bacon, so I held a to- mato slice out to her* She reared up on her hind legs and batted at it with her front paws*

"She's a boxer," said Ryan, delighted* He loved boxing* He had a heavy bag and a speed bag hanging in his bedroom at the beach house* He'd given Anjelica boxing gloves too and taught her to punch*

We called the kitten Sugar, after Sugar Ray Leonard* Anjel said the name was street tough, which fit her*

We went back to the Beverly Hills house that morning, and Sugar lived in Tatum's white- carpeted suite with me* It was a separate building only a few feet from the master bedroom—I thought of it as sitting at the right hand of God*

Griffin's bedroom was on the far horn of the U-shaped house: a room the architect had intended for the maid*

by Anonymousreply 3August 16, 2019 4:16 AM

We went back to the Beverly Hills house that morning, and Sugar lived in Tatum's white- carpeted suite with me* It was a separate building only a few feet from the master bedroom—I thought of it as sitting at the right hand of God* Griffin's bedroom was on the far horn of the U-shaped house: a room the architect had intended for the maid*

I wanted the girls at school to know of my connection with Ryan, so I dropped his name whenever I could. I said, “I've already got someone, Ryan, My sister's boyfriend. Who drove me to school, Ryan O'Neal,"She looked at me weirdly, and stopped talking to me, I knew it had come out wrong. I'd made it sound like I was sleeping with him too, I felt ridiculous. Why did I have to be a name-dropper, and then make a hash of it? Still, I was glad I'd said it.

My movie-star connections made me interesting—I'd never been a popular girl, or good at sports—and if I hadn’t said it, maybe no one would notice who was at the wheel of the magenta Corniche that sometimes dropped me off or picked me up in the curving school driveway.

When I was alone with him in the car, Ryan rested his right hand on my thigh, the same way he rested it on Anjel's when she was in the passenger seat,"You don't mind, do you?" he asked me once,

"No," I said casually, though I wasn't sure it was okay. For one thing, it didn't seem safe for him to drive with only his left hand,"I can't drive any other way," he said, and held the silence until he was sure I understood that he was telling the truth.

The Pacific Coast Highway was solid with traffic in the mornings, and Ryan would pull onto the hard shoulder and put his foot down on the gas, I watched the needle climb—50, 60, 70, 80—terrified that another driver would have the same idea and pull out in front of us, and we'd have no time to stop and no way not to crash into them, I didn't wear my seat belt; I don't think I'd ever seen anyone wear one, I wanted to put it on, but I was afraid Ryan would take it as an insult to his driving, I tried to relax my thigh so that tense muscles under his hand wouldn’t give me away.

by Anonymousreply 4August 16, 2019 4:21 AM

Why did Ryan treat his son Griffin that bad?!! As Tatum said,he was his whipping boy.

by Anonymousreply 5August 16, 2019 4:23 AM

Anjelica Huston's autobiography describes Ryan O'Neal headbutting her at a party when she was getting more attention than he. A real prince.

by Anonymousreply 6August 16, 2019 4:27 AM

Before long, I was spending most of my time with Anjelica and Ryan, I knew Cici wasn't happy about it, but I put that down to things like no proper bedtime and the fact that Griffin was allowed to smoke dope and snort coke and maybe she thought I was doing that too, which I wasn't.

I sensed that Anjel felt a chance of making us all a family: her and Ryan, his children and me. I hadn’t had a place at Jack’s house, except on weekends, but at Ryan’s—especially with Tatum away—I fitted in. I knew how much Anjel wanted to fill the loss of Mum for me, though she never said it in so many words.

I was sitting on Tatum's bed in the beach house with Griffin, talking. In her absence, it was my room—and like Griffins it was big enough for a king-size bed and nothing else. No bookshelf, no desk.

Suddenly Anjel ran in and slid open the closet door.“Don't tell him I'm in here," she whispered to us. She looked really afraid. She was shaking.“If he asks, don't tell him, please."She squeezed in behind Tatum's Rive Gauche-scented clothes.

I could barely see her bare feet behind the ranks of Maud Frizon shoes. My heart started to race. I didn't know how close behind her Ryan might be. I couldn't hear footsteps; but maybe he was being quiet, to surprise us all.

From inside, Anjel slid the door closed.Griffin and I made an instant, silent pact not to even look at the closet. I hoped we'd be brave enough to keep Anjel safe if Ryan came in looking for her.

by Anonymousreply 7August 16, 2019 4:28 AM

Flow could we stand up to him, if she couldn't?I hadn't heard any arguing or fighting from upstairs. I wanted toknow what had happened, but I didn't dare talk to Anjel through the closet door in case Ryan was listening outside, waiting for me to give her away*

Five minutes passed* Griffin and I forced out casual words, waiting for the crash of the door slamming open* I imagined Ryan, as big as a bear in that small room, tearing open the closet door * * * And then? I wasn't sure*

I tried to keep my breathing slow and steady so that whatever happened, I'd be prepared for it*I knew he didn't have any reason to be so angry* Anjel couldn't have given him one: both because she was too good to have done anything bad enough to deserve this, and because she knew him well enough to be afraid of his temper* I also knew he didn't need a reason* He enjoyed the power*

I heard a grating creak* The closet door was sliding open, catch' ing in its runners* My eyes caromed from the closet to the door and back again as Anjel pushed Tatum's clothes aside and came out*Her eyes were swollen and red* From crying, I thought—not from being hit*

by Anonymousreply 8August 16, 2019 4:30 AM

She was still shaking.‘Are you okay?" I asked her*

She didn't answer* I hugged her* She hugged me back, tight* I felt I was the only person she had to rely on—and I wished I was stronger, that I could go upstairs to Ryan and face him down, scold him and shame him for scaring my sister like that*

I never thought for a second that she was overreacting* I was afraid of him too*

He had a way of coming up behind me and placing his hands on either side of my head, over my ears* I had to relax into it, because the next thing would be a sharp twist as he cracked my neck*

It was supposed to be affectionate, and he did it to everybody; but however good it felt afterward, to me it was a reminder that he was strong enough to break my neck if he chose to*

One day when I got back from school (a friend of Tatum's had been hired to drive me), Anjel wasn't there* Griffin was in his room watching TV, looking hunted*

Allegra! ' A barking shout from above*

by Anonymousreply 9August 16, 2019 4:33 AM

Allegra! ' A barking shout from above*

I went to the foot of the stairs* "Yes, Ryan?”"Bring me some soup* And a Coke*”Soup was always Campbells tomato* Coke was always on ice, with half a lemon squeezed into it*

I heated the soup, poured it into a bowl, put the tall glass of Coke beside it, carried the tray upstairs, and set it on the bed in front of Ryan.

He took a spoonful*Wheres the pepper” It wasn't really a question*"Sorry* I'll go get it * *.” He stood up* He seemed bigger than usual* I took a step back*

His hands were clenched into half fists*Get down those stairs before I throw you down*”

I sensed, without thought, that the sight of fear in me might make him snap, as if I were accusing him of something* So I went with calm, mute obedience* The stairs were wood slats, and I tried not to let my feet make too much noise* I didn't look back* With each step down, I expected to feel the blow of a china bowl on the back of my head, and hot soup scalding me*

I made it to the corner where the stairs doglegged* I heard Ryan leave the upstairs landing and go back into his room* Then I ran.

by Anonymousreply 10August 16, 2019 4:37 AM

I didn't know where to go* I was too scared to get the pepper and go back upstairs* I didn't think he'd come downstairs after me, but if he did, I didn't want him to find me in Griffin's room. I wasn't sure if he'd dare hit me, but he might well hit Griffin instead*

I didn't want to stay in the living room, right underneath him, where the stairs came down; he'd think I was spying on him, or maybe Id make some noise that would set him off again* I could go outside onto the beach, but that felt exposed, with nowhere to hide or run to, and the ocean was stormy* Anjel would be back soon, and she'd worry if I wasn't there* So I sat on Tatum's bed, nervously doing my homework*

The window was a slit high up on the wall, like a jail cell, too small to climb out of* If I heard Ryan's footsteps coming downstairs, I decided, I'd run for the back door and just stay on the edge of the Pacific Coast Highway until Anjel got back* Cars could see me; Id be protected there*

I heard the garage open, and Anjefs footsteps* I caught her eye through the open bedroom door

*“How is he?” She sounded wary* He must have been in a bad mood when she left*“He wanted soup and I forgot the pepper* He threatened to throw me down the stairs”She nodded* Her face was gray and cloudy*

She looked like someone going to execution as she headed on down the hallway*The important thing was that he hadn't thrown me down the stairs* He would come out of this bad mood, and everything could carry on as before*

by Anonymousreply 11August 16, 2019 4:40 AM

Ryan used to boast that his birthday was the same day as Hitler's* It was in mid-April, on the cusp of Aries and Taurus, which seemed significant to me* If you were neither one thing nor the other, you could be anything—or both* The cosmic tides acting on the fluids in his brain meant that he and Hitler shared something* That explained his dark side—even that he seemed to be proud of it*

His moods alternated: a few days wonderful, a few days demonic* When he was in a good mood, he was the nicest person in the world, and it was hard to hold the bad side against him* He picked me up from school and took me shopping: to Maxfield Bleu, to a boutique on Sunset Plaza—where he bought me a beautiful off-the-shoulder chiffon dress, brown-speckled like a bird's egg—and to Maud Fri- zon for shoes*

Other days, we would all go to his favorite car wash, on the gay part of Santa Monica Boulevard opposite the store Ah! Men! (I loved that name), and get burgers from the burger stand and buy hand painted hairbrushes and glittery things from Gray's Salon across the road*

Or we'd all sit on his bed and watch TV* I was working on flirting and I practiced my look on him: not turning my head, but swiveling my eyes ninety degrees to the side* It hurt *One day you'll drive men crazy with that look/’ he said* Exactly the response I wanted.

by Anonymousreply 12August 16, 2019 4:43 AM

One night we went out to dinner, and then drove up to the front of the Whisky nightclub. Ryan got out, spoke to someone, then came back and drove around the corner. We went in through a side door near the kitchen, and straight up to the balcony. We were given a table at the edge, with a good view of the stage—and Griffin and I were placed at the back, where we couldn’t be seen from below.

Toots and the Maytals were playing. Anjel and Ryan danced in place at the table, so I did too. She rolled her hands around each other the way John Travolta did in Saturday Night Fever, so I did too. It was harder than it looked; the beat tripped me up and my arms wouldn’t do what I wanted them to. So I gave that up and just stepped from one foot to the other.

Ryan grinned at me. He pulled a little vial from his pocket and took a toot of coke with the tiny spoon that was chained to the lid. He didn’t bother to hide it. He was untouchable.

Even at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, when we went to see Joan Armatrading in concert, he barely hid it: just leaned down a little for the toot. We were sitting at one end of a row of seats, with real people—not in some special place reserved for movie stars, where the law didn’t apply. I was afraid he'd be seen; but I didn't want to look around since that would make us look guilty.

The little vial was with him always: when he was driving, when we went to the movies, or when we were just sitting around on his bed watching TV. He bent down to it as casually as Cici would put a stick of gum in her mouth.

by Anonymousreply 13August 16, 2019 4:46 AM

Dad was very grumpy; When he was discharged from the hospital, Anjel convinced Ryan to lend him the beach house to recuperate in. It was November. We’d have Thanksgiving there.

Anjel cooked a turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans. I hoped desperately that it would go well, for her sake, but I knew from the start that it wouldn't.

Dad was in a foul mood: he didn’t like Ryan, especially in comparison to Jack, and hated being beholden to him for the loan of the house. He also, of course, disliked holidays that were centered around eating. Ryan sulked—because, I figured, he resented being a guest in his own house.

I hated the meanness. Anjel had tried so hard, and Griffin and I were the only ones who appreciated the work she’d put in, or valued what she was trying to create: goodwill, warmth, togetherness.

Dad was sick, so I cut him a bit of slack, but Ryan had no excuse. Anjel wanted a family as much as I did, and she was doing all she could to make us one. And they were spitting it back in her face.

I was sharing Griffin's room now, as Tatum had come back. He had a king-size water bed, and we'd try hard not to move in our sleep so as not to send waves to wake the other.

by Anonymousreply 14August 16, 2019 4:52 AM

I got into Anjel's car one morning, ready for school, I loathed my uniform, but it set me apart at Ryan's house, I was a schoolgirl—not a thirteen-year-old glamour-puss; not a neglected, stoned surfer- child, Griffin and Tatum didn't go to school, I did: I was normal. Plus, I was good at school

Anjel swung her door closed and put the key in the ignition. She didn't turn it. We sat there in the half-light of the garage, in the cocoon of the car, suspended between the house and the highway. The traffic roared outside the closed door behind us,

"What am I going to do?" Anjel said

I looked at her face, expecting tears, I didn't see any. She'd cried them all,"Leave him,"The answer was so obvious. But Anjel looked at me like I'd said something amazing,"You don't have to stay with someone who treats you like that,"I didn't want to stare at her, so I looked through the windscreen at the washing machine and dryer against the wall of the house, and the door into the hallway,

I was half afraid that Ryan would come through it and see us sitting there talking. And he'd know what I'd said. Actually, I hoped he would know, but that wed be out of there first,

'I love you,.” It seemed like the first time I'd seen her smile in months.” She put her hand on the gear stick, as if she wanted to take some action and that was all she could manage in the small space of the car, I put my hand on hers.

I couldn't understand why shed never thought of leaving Ryan before, and I didn't know whether she'd do it, but at least I'd put the possibility in her mind, I felt like I'd given her a gift.

by Anonymousreply 15August 16, 2019 4:56 AM

Gradually I seemed to be moving into Gloom Castle, because Griffin's room at the Beverly Hills house was too small to share, and there was no question of Tatum—now that she was back—sharing hers.

At the pharmacy in Beverly Hills, I saw the National Enquirer at the checkout. In the middle was a photo of Anjelica, with photos of Jack and Ryan on either side. Anjel’s head was lowered, her hair falling lank over her face as she hurried into a doorway, Hie headline said she was back with Jack: and the photo arrangement had her skulking in his direction, with Ryan glowering behind her,

Anjel used to like taking me to Schwabs drugstore and buying every trashy magazine, fashion magazine, and gossip rag on the racks. Wed get back to the beach house with twenty or thirty of them: the National Enquirer, the Globe, the Star, Cosmo, People, Us, Playboy, Playgirl, Redbook, Harpers Bazaar , Shed dump them all on the bed in Ryans room upstairs, and wed make our way through them, laughing at the gossip and comparing the horoscopes, I thought this was so chic and cool:

.Now that she was on the cover of the worst of them, it wasn't funny or chic at all, I wanted to know what the National Enquirer was saying about her; I knew how vicious they were. But I couldn't pick it up, I felt ashamed: because she was my sister, and they were making her out to be a slut; and also because I didn't know she'd left Ryan and gone back to Jack,

The whole thing wasn't fair, I knew what she'd put up with from Ryan, how patient and forgiving she'd been, how hard she'd tried to make it work. She was right to go back to Jack; I knew how kind and fun he was, (Conveniently, I forgot about her crying,)

I wondered if I d ever see Griffin again, I missed him: my comrade, my ally, I worried that I'd been his last hope, and I'd abandoned him.

by Anonymousreply 16August 16, 2019 5:03 AM

And so very soon after we'd come back from Ryan's house* I worried sometimes that Jack might feel I'd been a traitor, in accepting Ryan* But he never showed any sign of it, never mentioned Ryan at all*

Once, when we were cruising along Mulholland Drive with the top down, Anjel had yelled out at a fat jogger laboring along, "Keep going, sucker, it's not gonna do you any good!" I thought that was hilarious. It confirmed—as if I needed confirmation—how glamorous and special she was.

We had tried going to Hyde Park to play Frisbee, but that invoked the shade of Ryan, so we hadn't done it again.*with Ryan* I sensed, without ever quite formulating the thought, that Anjel had been defeated*

She didn't come back in time for the Academy Awards either* Jack was presenting the award for Best Picture, and he took Jen and me instead* Our seats were next to Pat Boone, whose daughter Debby was singing “You Light Up My Life*' I felt completely cheated* How could the Academy seat Jack Nicholson next to Pat Boone? Mrs* Boone looked pretty pissed off too, when Jack deposited two spotty teenage girls and headed off backstage* I didn't have any sympathy for her* She should have been someone exciting, like Warren Beatty or John Travolta*

If I d been Tatum, I knew, I would have gone to the aftershow parties—but Jack put us in the limo and said good night, and I didn't mind*

by Anonymousreply 17August 16, 2019 5:18 AM

I think that if Angelica and Ryan affair hadn't ended, Eventually, Ryan would have slept with Allegra.

by Anonymousreply 18August 16, 2019 5:24 AM

From Anjelica Huston book "Watch Me"

— one of which is an account that former boyfriend Ryan O'Neal assaulted her at a party until she "saw stars." In the memoir, Huston recalls walking from the bathroom to the dining room of a Beverly Hills mansion to avoid crossing paths with a belly dancer,

when "he turned on me, grabbed me by the hair and hit me in the forehead with the top of his skull," she writes. "I saw stars and reeled back. Half blind, I ran away from him."

When she later followed her boyfriend into the bathroom to speak with him alone, "no sooner had I complied then Ryan was in the bathroom, batting me about the head with open hands. Then, abruptly, he left."

The actress reiterated during a Monday morning appearance on Today that she ended the relationship with O'Neal immediately after the assault and explained of exposing the violent memory. "It's my feeling that any man who lifts a hand against a woman deserves to be outed, so I'll leave it at that."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 16, 2019 5:29 AM

From Anjelica Huston book "Watch Me"

— one of which is an account that former boyfriend Ryan O'Neal assaulted her at a party until she "saw stars." In the memoir, Huston recalls walking from the bathroom to the dining room of a Beverly Hills mansion to avoid crossing paths with a belly dancer,

when "he turned on me, grabbed me by the hair and hit me in the forehead with the top of his skull," she writes. "I saw stars and reeled back. Half blind, I ran away from him."

When she later followed her boyfriend into the bathroom to speak with him alone, "no sooner had I complied then Ryan was in the bathroom, batting me about the head with open hands. Then, abruptly, he left."

The actress reiterated during a Monday morning appearance on Today that she ended the relationship with O'Neal immediately after the assault and explained of exposing the violent memory. "It's my feeling that any man who lifts a hand against a woman deserves to be outed, so I'll leave it at that."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 16, 2019 5:29 AM

I sense that Allegra didn't like Tatum but liked and bonded with Griffin who received more abuse at the hand of his father, even the room he was staying in was very small and intended to be for the maid.

Allegra saw Tatum as a spoiled brat (which was True). she didn't know that Tatum was receiving an emotional abuse.

by Anonymousreply 21August 16, 2019 5:41 AM

She tattles on everyone in this interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 16, 2019 5:50 AM

[quote] Anjel had yelled out at a fat jogger laboring along, "Keep going, sucker, it's not gonna do you any good!"

Bitch.

by Anonymousreply 23August 16, 2019 5:53 AM

Anjelica Huston : Ryan O'Neal is a deeply disturbed person

Is that what happened when you cheated on Jack with Ryan O’Neal?

No, Ryan swept me off my feet. He called and asked me if he could take me out and that was pretty much it.

He drove a Rolls-Royce back then.

A big maroon Rolls-Royce. You won’t see that car today. It was eye-watering, that car. Ryan was a great beauty. If I were to say to you that this red-gold burnished god walked in the door while I was at this party and went on one knee and said, “You’re the most fantastic, wonderful, amazing person I’ve ever had the privilege to be in a room with,” you’d have responded, believe me. Especially at a moment when your boyfriend told you he was going off to get the keys to the City of New York with Bob Evans and that none of the wives would be there. I was just in the mood, you know.

You wrote in your memoir that you kissed Ryan O’Neal on his dining-room table for six hours. I was trying to picture it, and I concluded that this couldn’t factually be true.

Factually true.

Ryan sounded like he was a psychopath with you.

Yes, I think he was. He head-butted me. He took my head in his hands and hit it with full force against his head because he couldn’t find me at a party. He’s a deeply disturbed — or at least was then; I can’t vouch for now, but I think he was — deeply disturbed person.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 16, 2019 5:58 AM

Sorry, didn't know the interview was posted at R22

Anyway, It's obvious, aside from being handsome and charming, Ryan drove these women crazy by his sex game.

by Anonymousreply 25August 16, 2019 6:01 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 16, 2019 6:05 AM

What father doesn't seen his son Griffin to school? Why wasn't Tatum in school when she wasn't working?

by Anonymousreply 27August 16, 2019 6:15 AM

R27 Tatum said in her book that Ryan put them in boarding school more than once but she hated it, stole and made troubles there and convinced her father to stay with him.

by Anonymousreply 28August 16, 2019 6:22 AM

I think Ryan was like "The fuck of the 1970s", despite his abusive violent reputation, every actress wanted to try it.

by Anonymousreply 29August 16, 2019 6:25 AM

"Tatum closets were bursting with the clothes shed left behind, all scented with Saint-Laurent Rive Gauche, which—I discovered when she came home—she sprayed directly onto them and poured into the rinse water of the washing machine*

WTF?!!

by Anonymousreply 30August 16, 2019 6:27 AM

According to Joan Collins, Ryan's 'specialty' was eating *****

by Anonymousreply 31August 16, 2019 6:41 AM

"you kissed Ryan O’Neal on his dining-room table for six hours"

And of course, they had no problem with Tatum and Griffin witnessing some of this!

by Anonymousreply 32August 16, 2019 6:44 AM

Tatum was used to seeing and hearing her dad fuck his girlfriends.

by Anonymousreply 33August 16, 2019 6:48 AM

I believe Ryan abused Diana Ross as well:

Ryan O'Neal On Diana Ross: From Ryan's book "Both of Us"

It seems drama follows Farrah and me almost everywhere we go during that summer of 1982 in New York. One afternoon we’re walking past the Russian Tea Room near Carnegie Hall, on Fifty-seventh Street, and a producer I know, Lester Persky, comes out of the restaurant, insisting that Farrah and I join him for tea. We agree to join him, and when we get to the table, the last person in the world I would want to see is sitting there: Diana Ross.

We had a brief fling years earlier and unfortunately things did not end smoothly. The moment Diana spots us she bursts into tears and runs into the ladies’ room. And she doesn’t come out. Farrah is sympathetic and I don’t have to explain. Farrah and I had had that conversation.

Long before I met Farrah, Diana Ross and I were signed to costar in The Bodyguard. John Boorman, who made Deliverance, was the director. Diana was difficult and opinionated. All she did was complain about the script. We went through three screenplays. It would have been one thing if none of the scripts were good, but they were excellent. I eventually got fed up with her imperiousness and we never did do the picture.

And yes, Diana and I did have a brief fling during preproduction for the film. But she killed whatever spark there was between us when she put on her diva act. I remember taking her to the airport one day. I had a Rolls-Royce at the time, and we ran out of gas. I made her help me push the car to a gas station. I thought that was funny, this big star pushing a Rolls-Royce down Century Boulevard, cars whizzing past us. She didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 34August 16, 2019 6:49 AM

R33 "Tatum was used to seeing and hearing her dad fuck his girlfriends."

She saw her father fucking?!!!

by Anonymousreply 35August 16, 2019 6:51 AM

Tatum slept in his bed when she was a child.

by Anonymousreply 36August 16, 2019 6:57 AM

R36 Yes, But i naively thought it was after the sex was over!

by Anonymousreply 37August 16, 2019 7:00 AM

I believe Tatum will come clean with EVERYTHING after Ryan's death.

by Anonymousreply 38August 16, 2019 7:03 AM

[quote] I thought that was funny, this big star pushing a Rolls-Royce down Century Boulevard, cars whizzing past us. She didn’t.

Actually, it is kind of funny.

O'Neal was certainly a "deeply disturbed person", but he was very good-looking at that time. Good to look at, but better to stay far away from.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 16, 2019 7:27 AM

And people say I was a bad parent.

by Anonymousreply 40August 16, 2019 7:27 AM

R39 ueah, this part is somewhat funny.

However, I think Ryan abused Diana Ross (either emotionally, physically or both), because he said, Diana burst into tears when she saw him and locked herself in the bathroom, Also, saying things didn't end smoothly between us speaks volume for someone abusive like Ryan.

by Anonymousreply 41August 16, 2019 7:58 AM

R30 Tatum was competing with the grown up girlfriends in her father's life, that's why she went to these strange extremes, trying to measure up to them.

In Tatum/Ryan reality show, Tatum broke down while watching tribute video for Farrah and fought with Ryan afterwards. Tatum said she always felt she couldn't measure up to Farrah's beauty but can't say this to her father because he wouldn't understand!!

by Anonymousreply 42August 16, 2019 2:55 PM

“Lips the same color as his skin” made me LOL. It’s true!

by Anonymousreply 43August 16, 2019 2:56 PM

R43 Very true, I always felt his lips were weird but couldn't put it in words.

by Anonymousreply 44August 16, 2019 3:05 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 16, 2019 3:18 PM

These threads were fun until I saw the OP post on the Ryan-Tatum thread that Tatum was a psychopath and Ryan's sexual abuse of her "humbled" her in a positive way.

OP is on that thread posting repeatedly that Tatum wanted to be her father's girlfriend and was jealous of Farrah who never did anything wrong, and she should also stop saying bad things about Ryan because the whole problem is Tatum's psychosexual jealousy.

Creepy beyond belief. I can see posting your opinion a couple of times, but literally dozen of times over the course of weeks, all in the name of defending Ryan O'Neal and saying Tatum deserved what happened?

by Anonymousreply 46August 16, 2019 3:20 PM

Ryan said in his book that he wasn't attracted to Cher (weird because she looked so much like Anjelica Huston):

"Farrah’s visit to the set of Faithful is marred by resentments and insecurities on both sides. At first I can’t understand why she keeps asking me if I have a thing for Cher.

I’d known Cher for years. She has a house down the street in Malibu. She was one of Tatum’s early adult friends and we’ve always had a nice rapport. But I’ve never been remotely attracted to the woman (not that she isn’t appealing); indeed, there was never any chemistry for either of us. I find myself starting to wonder if Farrah’s irrational concern about Cher is the by-product of a guilty conscience. I become convinced Farrah cheated on me."

by Anonymousreply 47August 16, 2019 3:29 PM

I can believe he wouldn't be attracted to Cher. He has radar for abused, submissive women with zero self-esteem who crave his good opinion of them more than anything else. That's the common denominator for all his relationships with everyone from Farrah to Tatum.

Cher had and has her issues, and she let Sonny dominate her way too much before breaking free of him. But I can't picture her putting up with the kind of bullshit Ryan dishes out. Can you?

by Anonymousreply 48August 16, 2019 3:43 PM

These stories (and the ones in the Tatum thread) are so depressing.

That so many women had such little respect for themselves that they would have anything to do with this piece of shit.

And do nothing about the obviously sick environment that those kids were growing up in.

Son Patrick seems to have escaped O'Neal's clutches because of his mother's having custody.

by Anonymousreply 49August 16, 2019 3:46 PM

R48 I agree, Cher was/is a self confident woman, she would not have put up with Ryan's abusive BS.

Funny, because Ryan made it like Cher wasn't his type, but Anjelica was vert similar to Cher in the look and body department.

by Anonymousreply 50August 16, 2019 3:50 PM

Very good (the very last) comment from the Ryan/Tatum Thread: On why Ryan treated Griffin more badly than Tatum:

Just a guess, but because she was incredibly successful for a few years, which reflected well on him (from a narcissist's point of view). Yes, he resented her success, but he also treated her much better than he did Griffin, and I think that's one reason why.

by Anonymousreply 51August 16, 2019 3:54 PM

R49, I'm actually surprised that people like Anouk Aimée or Ursula Andress would put up with Ryan's abuse and beating.

Tatum said "I remember shaking with fear hearing my father scream at Anouk Aimee while hitting her over the head with a pillow."

Andy Warhol implied in his diaries that "Hurricane Ryan" broke Ursula's arm.

by Anonymousreply 52August 16, 2019 4:03 PM

R23 No surprise here, After reading Anjelica's book "Watch me". I found her writing / narration to be superficial, It's basically "I flew to Paris and stayed with so-and-so" and meets a litany of famous people in the 70s and 80s. She accurately recollects the dresses and outfits she wore on memorable occasions. But she comes across as very very snooty, snobbish, and too high class for us mere mortals to relate to. There is a real lack of introspection and growth.

by Anonymousreply 53August 16, 2019 5:18 PM

Anjelica Huston on Ryan O'Neal from Anjelica's book "Watch me":

One evening there was a party for Barbra Streisand given by Ryan O’Neal. Ryan stared at me from across the room. Jack was a little in his cups and refused to eat. Jack told me he was “broken up” about leaving me, which sent a thrill through my heart.

A few hours later, I was at one of several round tables in her living room, having dinner, when Ryan O’Neal came by. He knelt by my knee and motioned for me to lean close so he could whisper in my ear: “I’ve been wanting to talk to you all night. I need to talk to you.” I should have known then that I was playing with fire. But I was just self-centered and egotistical and needy enough to follow up with him the next day.

He had arranged with Lou Adler to invite me along to a Lakers game on Jack’s season ticket. I drove my car to Ryan’s house in town, and after we smoked a joint, we set off for the Forum. We were late getting there, because we were high and talking and laughing along the way, getting lost in the cloudless wasteland of Inglewood. We arrived in the third quarter, giddy.

The Lakers were losing and Lou was in a bad mood. I think he had suddenly realized his mistake in giving Jack’s tickets to Ryan and allowing Ryan to invite me. I could see he felt we were violating his trust. He said good night to us coldly in the parking lot. I went with Ryan in his magenta-maroon Rolls-Royce Corniche, with the license plate PRO 3, back to his house off Tower Drive, and kissed him for six hours straight on the dining room table.

by Anonymousreply 54August 16, 2019 5:24 PM

In my memory of Ryan, I see a golden specimen, always in motion, an Apollo. His red-brown skin was darker than his mane of yellow-blond hair. He was an athlete, a runner, a boxer, and a bully.

He loved to play Frisbee on the beach. He was a gorgeous California native, born and bred in the Palisades, overlooking the Pacific Ocean, a peaceful name for a tumultuous sea.

When Jack returned from New York a few days later, I told him the news: I was in love and I was leaving him for Ryan O’Neal. Jack’s reaction was not to criticize or attack me. He was by turns confident and horrified; this event was sudden and surprising to him. For me, too. It came totally out of left field. I had no idea such a thing might occur. In truth, I found it quite ridiculous. How could this have happened?

There was never a confrontation between him and Ryan. Although at first I stayed on at Mulholland Drive, I began to go out to Ryan’s house in Malibu on the weekends. Lou’s girlfriend, Phyllis Somer, was my confidante. I said to Lou, “I know that after a couple of weeks, I’ll be dragging home to Jack with a Frisbee around my neck.”

I spent New Year’s Eve with Apollonia, Ara, Lou, and John Phillips and his daughter, Mackenzie. Ryan was not with us. He and I had fought, as was to become our habit. He was demanding my attention by trying to hurt me.... I’d always found Ryan too eager socially. He had a rueful, self-deprecating charm. There was a molten quality to him, as if his engine ran too hot.

by Anonymousreply 55August 16, 2019 5:31 PM

Ryan was very concerned with his daughter, Tatum, then about twelve, with whom he had filmed Paper Moon, with Peter Bogdanovich directing, and he brought her everywhere. Tatum was the youngest person ever to win a competitive Oscar, and I did not realize at first that they were almost a couple unto themselves; he seemed to have few boundaries with her.

They were often photographed at restaurants and parties and clubs. She was included in many of the finer details and decisions regarding his life.

Ryan had amassed a list of gorgeous conquests, from his wives—Joanna Moore, the mother of Tatum and her brother, Griffin; and his second wife, Leigh Taylor-Young—to his girlfriends, who included Barbra Streisand, Bianca Jagger, Diana Ross, Nathalie Delon, Ursula Andress, and Anouk Aimée, with many broken hearts in between.

The truth was that there were two Ryans. He could be fun and gregarious, including Allegra on weekends and taking us shopping and for haircuts (I cut mine off to half an inch and Tatum followed), or energetically running Tatum, Allegra, his Belgian Shepherd, Jada, and me up and down the sand at Malibu, throwing Frisbees as we leaped and dove into the surf to catch them. Or putting on a pale blue Hawaiian shirt that matched his eyes and driving us up to Moonshadows or Hal’s or Giorgio Baldi’s in Santa Monica for dinner.

But then there was a dark side. He could be critical, pugnacious, jealous, demanding, and deceptive.

On Fridays, we’d drive out to the beach house and sometimes I’d cook spaghetti and meatballs. Griffin was pretty much living out there all week long. He was only eleven, surfing and smoking weed, and although this seemed a matter to warrant concern, the attention was mostly centered on his sister.

by Anonymousreply 56August 16, 2019 5:35 PM

Ryan had gained custody of the children when Tatum was six, because of their mother’s substance abuse. I felt bad for them, these tough little survivors. They had charm, but poor examples to follow in life, and in the big picture I don’t believe that Ryan had much of a conscience, guilty or otherwise. He could go from Jekyll to Hyde in a heartbeat.

Ryan had recently returned from Ireland when we first met. It was part of a bond he ventured to establish between us, calling me “Big Irish” and telling me all about his adventures with Stanley Kubrick, the director of Barry Lyndon. He was very proud that he had been chosen for that film. It was the mark of artistic validation he had been seeking.

Ryan bolstered himself with two friends from his days as a student at Palisades High, Greg Hodell and Joe Amsler. Joe had the dubious distinction of having been one of the jesters who in the sixties kidnapped Frank Sinatra, Jr., as a prank, an offense for which he was lucky to have done only three years and nine months of time at Lompoc Prison, and not lost his neck.

Joe and Greg were cast in Ryan’s image, muscled and tall and athletic, but just a little rougher than he was. They say you wind up looking like who you really are. Joe and Greg took the rap first.

One day we were up in the Malibu Mountains. Joe and Greg were jumping from rock to rock above a chasm; the terrain was very steep, perhaps a two-hundred-foot drop. Joe was carrying a beer and missed a foothold on the rock and plummeted backward. I thought for sure he was a goner. At the last second he grasped a little bunch of weeds and saved himself from a deadly fall. These guys were literally living on the edge. It was part of their makeup. There was often the sense with them that you’d made it through another potentially hairy situation but that it probably wouldn’t be the last.

by Anonymousreply 57August 16, 2019 5:41 PM

In time I was to learn that there was something distinctly perverse about the O’Neal household. When I went to see Ryan in Amsterdam, where he was filming A Bridge Too Far, Greg and Joe were there with him; there was a strange atmosphere, and I could sense Ryan’s distance. Tatum’s demeanor had altered toward me as well—she loved me but was now expected to lie to me on Ryan’s behalf.

Even though my pride was hurt, there was a modicum of relief when I found out Ryan was sleeping with another girl. I don’t think Ryan was capable of love without some kind of downside.

Ultimately, it was revealed that a young actress had just left for the airport and that she had been sharing Ryan’s bed. She was a playmate of Tatum’s and another kind of playmate to Ryan.

And yet I stayed on after a confrontation. I knew that Tatum cared for me, and Ryan’s sleeping with her friend must have cost her a wealth of divided loyalties.

When Ryan took me to the location, I saw that Dirk Bogarde had a part in the film, and I asked Ryan to knock on the door of his trailer. Dirk had been a friend of my mother’s, and we had spent many Sundays at his house in the English countryside when I was a teenager. When Dirk appeared in the doorway of his camper, he was delightful to Ryan but sour to me, and only later did I realize he hadn’t recognized me. I retreated, feeling hurt. He wrote me a note the next day, apologizing for his mistake and calling me a “silly goose.”

by Anonymousreply 58August 16, 2019 5:44 PM

R48, I think you nailed it.

The people we attract and the people we are attracted to is hardly about looks.

by Anonymousreply 59August 16, 2019 5:46 PM

I regretted leaving Jack. I hated causing him pain. Yet despite the way things were going with Ryan, I returned from Holland via London with him.

In the year and a half I was with Ryan, I never had my picture taken with him in public. His innocent blue eyes, his automatic, coy smile for the cameras, his compliments, those big warm boxer’s mitts that seemed ready to punch or stroke—I was beginning to mistrust everything about him.

Soon he was telling me about unfinished business with Ursula Andress and confessing to phone calls with Bianca Jagger. Things were getting ugly; I was holding on longer than I should have, and I decided to return to Jack

I was feeling unmoored and indecisive. Whenever things went from horizontal to vertical with Ryan, we had bad fights. I had begun to suspect that, for all his flattery and bravado, he didn’t really care for me. On Valentine’s Day, Jack sent me flowers.

by Anonymousreply 60August 16, 2019 5:47 PM

R58 "a young actress had just left for the airport and that she had been sharing Ryan’s bed. She was a playmate of Tatum’s and another kind of playmate to Ryan."

Melanie Griffith.

by Anonymousreply 61August 16, 2019 5:49 PM

I still had unfinished business with Ryan. As Jack left for the airport, I handed him a letter that I hoped would explain. I asked what he was going to do. “I’m going to work on being tied up,” he said I flew home to L.A., where, despite my better judgment, I continued to see both Ryan and Jack.

Three weeks later, we celebrated Jack’s birthday in Vegas—Lou, Michelle, Warren, Art Garfunkel, Harry Dean Stanton, Annie, and me. We watched Bette Midler perform at midnight. Everyone was relieved that Jack and I were together again, but I was still not finished with Ryan

One night Ryan and I went to a party at a Spanish mansion in Beverly Hills. There was a belly dancer in the middle of an open floor and tables all around. I had left Ryan’s side to go to the bathroom. When I reentered the dining area, I could not get to him without crossing the dancer’s path and decided to wait until she stopped.

As I looked on, I could see Ryan becoming agitated. Suddenly, he stood up and left the room, exiting by an outside stairway. I ran after him down to the parking lot. The attendants were bringing him his car. “Ryan!” I called out. “I’m here, it’s okay!”

He turned on me, grabbed me by the hair, and hit me in the forehead with the top of his skull. I saw stars and reeled back. Half blind, I ran away from him, upstairs to a bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 62August 16, 2019 5:56 PM

I could see Ryan becoming agitated. Suddenly, he stood up and left the room, exiting by an outside stairway. I ran after him down to the parking lot. The attendants were bringing him his car. “Ryan!” I called out. “I’m here, it’s okay!”

He turned on me, grabbed me by the hair, and hit me in the forehead with the top of his skull. I saw stars and reeled back. Half blind, I ran away from him, upstairs to a bathroom.

Soon there was a knock on the door; his brother, Kevin, had come to talk to me. Another knock—this time it was security, standing behind a red-faced Ryan.

“He wants to speak to you. We saw what happened. Is that all right?”

“Yes,” I replied. “You can let him in.”

No sooner had I complied than Ryan was in the bathroom, batting me about the head with open hands. Then, abruptly, he left.

I realized I had no one to turn to. I had given up my friends when I was with Ryan; they were too close to Jack, and I didn’t want them to know what was going on. Lou disapproved; I couldn’t call him, or Phyllis, or Cici. So I asked Kevin to drop me off at Ryan’s. It was by now about two o’clock in the morning, and all the lights were on.

When I walked into his bedroom, Ryan was sitting up in bed with an ice pack on his forehead, chuckling ruefully. “I’ve got quite a headache,” he said.

The next morning, with Allegra in the passenger seat of my car, driving on the Pacific Coast Highway, I asked her, sobbing, “What shall I do, Allegra? What can I do?”

She looked over at me coolly. She was thirteen years old. “Leave him,” she replied.

When I ended my affair with Ryan, I returned to Jack

by Anonymousreply 63August 16, 2019 5:59 PM

....Ryan’s son, Griffin O’Neal, had joined the cast. I hadn’t seen him in close to ten years, and was glad that Francis was giving him an opportunity to be part of the team.

One night, as a bunch of us were crossing a high bridge over the Potomac River, Griffin suddenly jumped up onto the balustrade and started to walk along it; the drop looked to be almost a hundred feet. I pleaded with him to get down, which eventually he did, after scaring me silly.

It reminded me of Ryan’s friend Joe Amsler, and of the time I thought Joe had died when he fell off the boulder and down the ravine in Malibu.

Production gave me the okay, and I flew to New York for two days of manic intensity in rehearsal with the SNL cast. On Sunday morning a call came from Sam Bottoms: “Gio Coppola died in a boating accident yesterday.”

That evening I returned to Washington. For the next few days, we walked around like zombies, until Gio was buried in a hero’s funeral at Arlington. Griffin had been driving the boat. Francis sat in front of the monitors like a ghost for the following days, until he was admitted to a hospital for rest.

Gio’s mother, Ellie, was quiet and contained. Gio’s little sister, Sofia, and his fiancée, Jacqui de la Fontaine, seemed as though they were literally holding each other up. The grief surrounding Gio’s death was part of the collective grief of Arlington Cemetery, with all of its pomp and circumstance, pain and loss.

Francis valiantly stayed on to finish the film, but one felt suddenly bogus, like a pretender in the face of what had happened. Griffin was replaced in the film and later charged with accidental manslaughter but pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of negligent operation of a boat. He received a fine, was sentenced to probation, and eventually served a short jail sentence for failing to perform his four hundred hours of community service.

But the ending to this sad story was nothing short of miraculous. Jacqui revealed that she was pregnant, and a little more than seven months later, baby Gia was born.

by Anonymousreply 64August 16, 2019 6:09 PM

Bulldagger chic!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65August 16, 2019 6:11 PM

Is Ryan bipolar or what?!

by Anonymousreply 66August 16, 2019 6:13 PM

R63 “He wants to speak to you. We saw what happened. Is that all right?” “Yes,” I replied. “You can let him in.”

Why didn't she say "No"

by Anonymousreply 67August 16, 2019 6:21 PM

[quote] .. until Gio was buried in a hero’s funeral at Arlington.

Bullshit. Definitely NOT buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

Why would he be entitled to be buried at Arlington?

Findagrave has him buried in California.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 16, 2019 6:28 PM

Yep, Google says he was buried in San Fernando Mission cemetery in L.A. Why would she make up such a lie?

by Anonymousreply 69August 16, 2019 6:44 PM

Because she's nuts, R69.

All these people are NUTS.

by Anonymousreply 70August 16, 2019 7:04 PM

Ryan and Farrah looking stoned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71August 16, 2019 7:09 PM

Ryan preferring Tatum looking like a boy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72August 16, 2019 7:12 PM

Some quotes about Ryan O'Neal from Andy Warhol diaries:

"The big people, Sue Mengers and Ryan O’Neal, didn’t arrive, they told Bianca that they couldn’t “be seen at tacky places like Mr. Chow’s.”

Dinner at Marcia Weisman’s (cab there $4). Ryan O’Neal was there and Sue Mengers. Ryan was leaning against the Morris Louis and put a big dent in it. He was sour. I had all the Guinness kids with me—Catherine, Erskine, and Miranda—and it turned out Miranda’s twin sister Sabrina had been Tatum’s nanny and Ryan’s secretary when Ryan was filming Barry Lyndon in England, and Ryan hated her, so he was taking it out on Miranda, and she went to the bathroom to cry. Sabrina is actually a groupie, even though she’s a Guinness.

Sue looked terrible and so did Ryan. They left early because, I think, they thought “nobody” was there. Hollywood people are rotten. They all play these games with their A, B, and C groups and it’s just too stupid. That’s why when they come down, they really come down. One thing about Bianca, she really has class because she’ll go anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 73August 16, 2019 7:29 PM

The gossip from Saturday night at Studio 54 before was that Jack Nicholson came in and Ryan O’Neal was there with Barbara Allen and everyone was trying to keep Jack and Ryan apart so they wouldn’t see each other. Barbara thought it was because of her, but it was the situation with Anjelica—she’s been seeing Ryan lately. And Stevie called and said how hard he worked, that it was so much fun keeping them apart. And Tatum was dancing with Mona Christiansen. And Stevie said that Liza was dying for Marty Scorsese to get back to town, because Baryshnikov just sees too many girls

We went to pick up Ursula Andress first. She’s staying with Linda Evans. The house is very big, English country-style, a pool and tennis courts. Ursula was wearing a YSL scarf over the cast on her broken arm. She was surfing in Malibu with Ryan O’Neal when Hurricane Norman hit her and broke her arm, tore it out of her socket. Joan whispered that everyone in L.A. wonders if it was Hurricane Ryan that actually did it

by Anonymousreply 74August 16, 2019 7:34 PM

Farrah Fawcett called and said she was on her way down to Union Square, and she arrived in half an hour with Ryan O’Neal. They looked at her portrait and I didn’t think Farrah liked it, but then she studied them for about half an hour and finally said she loved it. I had Bob come down because I thought he could talk them into doing a cover, and she said she would. And she looked pretty, her hair was all washed, and she looked very very nice. She’s sweet.

Then after the play we saw Farrah and Ryan backstage and they were gushy. It’s so hard to talk to actors, all they want is to talk about themselves. And Ryan looks a little older, he’s getting the same lines I have. And he was talking about Paul Morrissey and telling me I should work with him again. And he really wants the part of Dick Tracy that Warren Beatty’s supposed to get. Ryan thought Jon was an important figure at Paramount so he was hustling him. Jon said they’d jogged together once on the beach at Malibu

by Anonymousreply 75August 16, 2019 7:38 PM

Then Steve sent his driver to pick us up to go to meet them at that VanDam restaurant. And so we went and in addition to Steve and Ryan and Farrah, Bob Colacello was there.

Ryan is so desperate, he calls you “Baby” and “Honey” and he kisses all the boys on the lips, it’s so sick. Farrah was also so peculiar. She made Keith draw on her arm.

And then Ryan and Farrah were nervous so they took a walk around the block to smoke a joint. Because I guess it was tense because Bianca had had an affair with Ryan

by Anonymousreply 76August 16, 2019 7:41 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77August 16, 2019 7:53 PM

These people come across as the 70s equivalent of “Love Island” contestants. They attend parties, snort cocaine, slip in and out of fashionable wardrobe, fuck with each other, then fight with each other, then repeat the whole cycle and not one interesting word was uttered between them.

by Anonymousreply 78August 16, 2019 8:21 PM

R78 Yes, I think there were no meaningful relationships for these people.

by Anonymousreply 79August 16, 2019 8:39 PM

So, Ryan thought he was a big deal because he was good at throwing a frisbee around on the beach?

And all the dumb females around him would chase it for him?

And if they caught it or threw it well, he would give them an Atta-Girl (of a sort)??

WTF???

I mean, really, W T F ???

by Anonymousreply 80August 16, 2019 8:42 PM

Ryan hogging the spotlight with Tatum at the 1975 Oscars as she presents as the outgoing supporting actress to the absent supporting actor winner Robert DeNiro. Tatum is so poised, she didn’t need his help. But Ryan I’m sure couldn’t stand NOT presenting with her. And who the fuck lets their daughter wear a low cut dress like this at 10 years old?! Kinda creepy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81August 16, 2019 8:46 PM

He was very appealing and charismatic that women accepted any shit/abuse from him, when any woman starts talking about Ryan, she will marvel first about what a beautiful specimen of a man he was.

Life isn't fair, people give pass to beautiful people even if they were shit and vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 82August 16, 2019 8:49 PM

I watched some of the reality show. He has a way of making himself seem like a big old innocent lug. If I didn’t know all his background and was just meeting him, I can see how he would come across as charming, like a convivial uncle. He didn’t look at all capable of violence. For kids, it’s worse that he’s so two faced because it makes them feel even crazier.

by Anonymousreply 83August 16, 2019 8:59 PM

R81 Thanks for this, Tatum look like a young woman Not a child.

Strange thing that you won't find any interview videos of young Ryan O'Neal online or on Youtube. you will only find video of Old Ryan either crying about Farrah or promoting his reality show in 2011.

by Anonymousreply 84August 16, 2019 9:00 PM

I remember the early (started 1962) modern day western/ranch drama called "Empire.

Great cast. Ryan was billed 4th after Richard Egan, Terry Moore, and Anne Seymour. It was during this show that Ryan married his first wife Joanna Moore (Tatum's and Griffin's mother).

Too bad it didn't last long.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85August 16, 2019 9:01 PM

R83 I had the same response after watching their reality show, I knew he made mistakes with his kids, but didn't know the crazy extent. I felt sorry for him and thought Tatum was hard on him!

by Anonymousreply 86August 16, 2019 9:03 PM

You can find a bit of an early Ryan performance on Empire at this link.

He shows up at the 3:01 mark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87August 16, 2019 9:09 PM

R85 R87 Thanks for sharing

by Anonymousreply 88August 16, 2019 9:11 PM

I've read a lot about Alain Delon in the past. Alain is a Narcissist. In some ways, he reminds me of Ryan.

But Ryan is much Worse.

by Anonymousreply 89August 16, 2019 9:14 PM

R76 It seems that Ryan had lost the plot career wise since the early 1980s, even Andy Warhol describes Ryan as desperate, hustling for producers and kissing everyone on the mouth.

by Anonymousreply 90August 16, 2019 9:24 PM

No one noticed that Ryan was proud to share Hitler birthday! I believe this says a lot if this man.

from R12 Ryan used to boast that his birthday was the same day as Hitler's* It was in mid-April, on the cusp of Aries and Taurus, * That explained his dark side—even that he seemed to be proud of it*

by Anonymousreply 91August 16, 2019 9:29 PM

Funny that Andy Warhol of all people thought Ryan O. was shallow and desperate.

by Anonymousreply 92August 16, 2019 9:30 PM

The only known picture of Ryan and Anjelica, coming from Anjelica's book

They both looked stoned as fuck

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93August 16, 2019 9:32 PM

Regarding Warhol, I don’t think gay men were as impressed by O’Neal as straight women. They probably reacted to him the way Cher did.

by Anonymousreply 94August 16, 2019 9:38 PM

R94 "They probably reacted to him the way Cher did."

LMAO

by Anonymousreply 95August 16, 2019 9:44 PM

r91 From IMDb:

[quote] His maternal grandmother, Mathilde Pius, was born in New York, to a Jewish family

Doesn’t that technically make him Jewish?

by Anonymousreply 96August 16, 2019 9:47 PM

Ryan alluded in his book that Farrah was racist.

by Anonymousreply 97August 16, 2019 9:50 PM

The strange thing that Tatum was highly sexualized as a child wearing revealing clothes as video R81 , but fortunately, she tuned it down as he became a teenage, wearing appropriate clothes for her age.

by Anonymousreply 98August 16, 2019 9:56 PM

I don’t believe Ryan never made a pass at Cher. When he did, she probably gave him one of those piercing and disdainful “no the one” glances.

by Anonymousreply 99August 16, 2019 9:59 PM

Here's r93 pic:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100August 16, 2019 10:00 PM

R99 I also think so, he's probably just bitter that he was turned down by her and wrote in his book that he was never attracted to her.

by Anonymousreply 101August 16, 2019 10:02 PM

Anjelica Huston's mentions in Ryan O'Neal book:

Since my marriages, I’d practiced serial monogamy. I liked smart, unpredictable women, such as Anjelica Huston

I knew John Huston. His daughter Anjelica was one of the great dalliances of my postadolescence. And my adolescence lasted longer than most. Marriage and parenthood may have ended my childhood, but nothing has ever interrupted my adolescence.

Farrah told me that we remind her of Jack and Anjelica. They loved each other but it wasn’t enough for Nicholson.

by Anonymousreply 102August 16, 2019 10:09 PM

Just wondering: which other actors have lips that are the same color as their skin?

by Anonymousreply 103August 16, 2019 10:16 PM

Robert Evans (The producer of Love Story and Ali MacGraw's husband) Talks about Ryan O'Neal being an asshole in his book "The kid stays in the picture":

At the bar, Ryan rushed over. "I know if it weren't for you I wouldn't have gotten the part. I owe you my career, pal." We embraced. With a glass of champagne, we toasted to it.

Ali's hand grabbed my arm. Her face ghostly. "I'm starting to hemorrhage, Evans." With blood starting to stream down her legs, I rushed her into the waiting limo

"Call Ryan at the Warwick. Fill him in on Ali's condition. Tell him he'll have to cover for her at the premiere. Sumner Redstone. Paramount's biggest customer, is giving a charity premiere honoring Harvard University at his theater in Boston. Call Stanley, give him an update on Ali's condition." I quickly walked away, into the men's room and again burst into tears. Regaining my composure. I began to pace the corridor floor.

My secretary stopped me. "Mr. Evans. I just spoke with Mr. O'Neal. He said he won't go unless Ali goes."

Every attendant's head jumped up as I screamed out. "Is he crazy*? Does he know the shape she's in? She could die!"

Her voice now quivering. "I told him that. Mr. Evans."

"Get him on the phone."

Thinking he misunderstood. I contained my temper. "Ryan, it's not good. Ali's in bad shape." I began to choke. "The kid may not make it." There was no reaction on the other end. "Cover for me. will ya?" I stuttered.

"If she goes, I go. Otherwise I stay."

For an instant, I thought it was the Devil himself paying me back. Less than twelve hours earlier the same guy was telling me how he owed his career to me.

"Ryan, maybe you didn't hear me right. Ali, she's in bad shape, real bad." I began to cry. "She could lose the baby. You hear me?"

"I heard you." He heard my crying as well. "If she doesn't go, I don't go, got it? Hey, I don't own any of the movie, but she does."

He never sent flowers. He never called to see if she or the baby survived

by Anonymousreply 104August 16, 2019 10:17 PM

Yoo-hoo! R103!! Yoo-hoooooo!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105August 16, 2019 10:46 PM

Wow at that story at R104.

So Ryan's been an asshole for decades.

Have Barbara Parkins or Mia Farrow ever commented about him regarding their time on "Peyton Place"?

That was after "Empire" and before "Love Story"

by Anonymousreply 106August 16, 2019 10:49 PM

How did a fug like Angelika bed a hottie like Ryan? Was he a sex addict whore?

by Anonymousreply 107August 16, 2019 11:00 PM

R107 "Was he a sex addict whore?"

Yes

Also, that's what Ryan said about Anjelica in his book from R102: "I liked smart, unpredictable women, such as Anjelica Huston....I knew John Huston. His daughter Anjelica was one of the great dalliances of my postadolescence. "

by Anonymousreply 108August 16, 2019 11:03 PM

R106 Ryan burned a lot of bridges in the industry by his blatant asshole behavior. No wonder his career was dead by the 1978.

by Anonymousreply 109August 16, 2019 11:06 PM

R106 Have Barbara Parkins or Mia Farrow ever commented about him regarding their time on "Peyton Place"?

Lana Wood talked about him in her book:

"Hair also figured into my affair with Ryan. He was, when he wished to be, an enormously appealing man. Natalie once asked me what kind of lover he was, and I couldn't answer. Even though I had been married twice, I was not experienced enough to know a really good lover when I had one. Ryan, I told her, was like having a glass of champagne without knowing too much about the various brands of champagne. Special, that is, but not a whole lot more. Nor was he wont to keep his complaints to himself.

One morning he rolled over, looked at me, and propped himself up on his elbow. "What do you do to stop that?" he asked, pointing to my hair. It was very long and very curly.

"Stop what?

"The curling. God, it's awful." Curly hair was not then in fashion, and whatever else he was, Ryan was fashion-conscious. He wasn't one to hesitate when it came to criticizing others, either.

"I straighten it. It takes a while, but it comes out straight."

"Well, you better get up and get going. If you don't straighten it, I'm not taking you to the ballgame with me."

I was hurt and should have followed my instinct to skip the ballgame. I was no great baseball fan, but I had a wish for Ryan to like me, and so I went.

We sat with Ryan's chum Lee Majors, who was then single too. When Ryan left his seat to go for a beer and Lee invited me out on a date the next night, I was certain I should have skipped the game. I told Lee I was busy, and told him several more times in the next few weeks before he got the message.

Ryan and I didn't last much longer. Natalie, who was aware of our relationship, wondered how it was with Ryan and how, as I recall she put it, he was "fitting into my life."

"Outstanding," I replied.

"Outstanding?" "Out standing in the hall." Natalie thought that was very funny.

If I have a habit of making the wrong choice of men, I also have a facility for maintaining a friendship after a love affair has ended. Ryan and I continued to be friends until, after I left the series, we went our separate ways. I watched the progress of his affair with Farrah Fawcett, she of the long, lush, curly mane, with interest. I was not at all surprised one day when she appeared, Ryan on her arm, her hair cut short. I should have warned he

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110August 16, 2019 11:13 PM

He is a nasty drug addicted hung like a clam irish idiot , no talent at all, go away .

by Anonymousreply 111August 16, 2019 11:15 PM

He's not hung?? What's the Lothario appeal then?

by Anonymousreply 112August 16, 2019 11:30 PM

From IMBD

"O'Neal served 51 days of a 60-day sentence for assaulting a stranger during a New Year's Eve party in Los Angeles. [1960]"

"Was originally considered for the role of Rocky Balboa in Rocky (1976). However, "Rocky" scriptwriter Sylvester Stallone had sold the film rights on the condition that he got to play the title role, so he and not O'Neal wound up starring in the picture.

by Anonymousreply 113August 16, 2019 11:34 PM

Kurt Russell and Ryan O'Neal in Elvis - 1979

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114August 16, 2019 11:39 PM

I've always wondered, does this scene make sense within the film?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115August 17, 2019 12:19 AM

R115 Hahaaaaaaaaaa WTF?!

by Anonymousreply 116August 17, 2019 12:26 AM

At 7:`19 Piers Morgan asks Tatum about her relationship with her dad - July 2019

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117August 17, 2019 12:45 AM

Margaret Trudeau and Ryan O'Neal at Studio 54 - 1978

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118August 17, 2019 12:58 AM

I find that story about Ali's baby kind of hard to believe even for Ryan.

by Anonymousreply 119August 17, 2019 1:07 AM

R119 Why would Robert Evans lie about it though?! Ryan was an asshole, I wouldn't put anything past him.

by Anonymousreply 120August 17, 2019 1:13 AM

Not me. He's a pig.

by Anonymousreply 121August 17, 2019 1:13 AM

Because if nothing else he loved Ali MacGraw and wouldn't be so careless about her unborn child. But then again I'm giving him way too much credit.

by Anonymousreply 122August 17, 2019 1:17 AM

Isn’t Bob Evans a prick too or am I mixing him up with someone else? I remember reading snippets of Ali’s book here and she had a series of jerks so maybe they’ve all blended together in my mind. He sure looks like a total sleaze these days, he makes old Hugh Hefner look like a choir boy.

by Anonymousreply 123August 17, 2019 1:20 AM

At least the baby made it.

by Anonymousreply 124August 17, 2019 1:21 AM

R122 Ryan didn't care about his own children, to care about Ali's unborn child.

by Anonymousreply 125August 17, 2019 1:27 AM

At 24:01 , Rosanna Arquette says:

"It wasn't a father/daughter relationship. Ryan treated Tatum as a girlfriend, It was weird"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126August 17, 2019 1:44 AM

Must say, the O'Neals at least have strong constitutions. For all her problems, Tatum at least always *looks* pulled together. And she sounded pretty down-to-earth on her podcast, as did her kids. Ryan looks good for a guy his age. They all hang in there, no one looks a complete wreck.

by Anonymousreply 127August 17, 2019 2:07 AM

I'm surprised Ali agreed to do Love Letters with Ryan, although they both probably needed the money.

by Anonymousreply 128August 17, 2019 2:30 AM

How much did she get paid for this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129August 17, 2019 2:38 AM

R128 I saw it, in Beverly Hills, darling. They were cute enough, Ali still looks good. I got the tickets specifically to see them together again. I sort of imagined them as old Oliver and Jennifer Barrett, if Jennifer hadn’t died.

The play itself is the absolute worst, I hated it!

by Anonymousreply 130August 17, 2019 4:12 AM

Interesting how Allegra calls Ryan for all the shit he did, but she stays quiet on the dirt regarding her adoptive father John Huston.

by Anonymousreply 131August 17, 2019 4:19 AM

What kind of accent does Ali McGraw have? It sounds ridiculous, like Hollywood’s idea of East coast boarding school.

by Anonymousreply 132August 17, 2019 1:08 PM

R131 Well, to be fair, she might not have witnessed Huston's despicable behavior as closely as Ryan's.

Unrelated, was the movie Nickelodeon any good? I presume not, because nobody ever mentions it, but I am intrigued by it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133August 17, 2019 1:22 PM

R132 You beat me to it, well said.

by Anonymousreply 134August 17, 2019 1:23 PM

R133 it was pretty well done. Really great cast and period detail.

by Anonymousreply 135August 17, 2019 3:04 PM

Ali McGraw's voice is so affected in that clip it sounds like something Joan Rivers would make fun of in her act.

Anyway she's from Pound Ridge New York.

by Anonymousreply 136August 17, 2019 3:33 PM

That's it?

by Anonymousreply 137August 17, 2019 11:55 PM

R137 ??????

by Anonymousreply 138August 18, 2019 12:03 AM

A random online comment about Ryan:

"I was a very good friend of Ryan’s first wife, Joanna Moore. She had problems, but most of them were due to the fact that she said Ryan tried his best to systematically destroy her. I believe it. Also, she said Ryan used to play a game at parties, “What ever happened to?” in which he belittled people that were no longer famous. He is a disturbed person."

by Anonymousreply 139August 18, 2019 12:53 AM

Is that all, you idiot R138

by Anonymousreply 140August 18, 2019 2:04 AM

Nobody wants to defend Ryan. He must have some redeeming qualities.

by Anonymousreply 141August 18, 2019 2:12 AM

OP here, As I said in the first Ryan/Tatum thread, I've intended to start a thread about Ryan O'Neal book "Both of us" to read Ryan side of the story, However, after I've just finished reading the book. I've decided against it . it's Not truthful, there are some things that are true but overall, I found it both sad and unintentionally hilarious at the same time .

Some points from the book: (I will later post some parts of the book in this thread):

Farrah is the only woman he truly loved in his life and that they were soulmate. Nobody in Hollywood believed it will last and Barbra Stresiand said "I give it 3 weeks".

Working with Barbra Streisand helped him later when he worked with Stanley Kubrick, because they both have the same work ethics.

The first time he and Farrah had sex, She was on her period and Ryan found that exciting.

His biggest regret in life was marrying his first wife Joanna Moore, Ryan wished he had never married her.

He alludes that Joanna's craziness had a long time effect on his violent relationship with women.

Tatum and Griffin inherited drug addiction from their mother.

He acknowledged his failure as a parent but doesn't understand why Tatum and Griffin are having problems with him.

Ryan believes his son Griffin had more talent than Tatum

He was Never addicted to drugs, and his chronic drug use is not mentioned at all in the book. The only thing he was addicted to was Farrah.

Tatum is having a hard time after Farrah because she was always the number one woman in the house. Tatum is jealous and Ryan is surprised because she was a big fan of hers and even tied to meet Farrah in the past and imitated her hair style once (this is true though, Tatum said that in one interview).

Farrah was sweet to Tatum and tried to include her in their life but Tatum distanced herself.

When Tatum turned sixteen in 1980, Ryan threw her a birthday party at Farrah’s house, Tatum invited many guests including Michael Jackson, Melanie Griffith, and Andy Gibb, who was one of Tatum’s great crushes. Ryan remembers thatall the boys in the they wanted to get close to Melanie!!

Ryan gave Tatum two cars—a brand-new BMW and a classic MG sports car. The entire party escorts Tatum outside. She just looks at the cars and then at Ryan, and coldly said “Thanks, Dad,”. Ryan is disappointed by Tatum's reaction to the gifts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142August 18, 2019 2:20 AM

R139 That's rich, considering "what ever happened to Ryan O'Neal?" is a question scant few people would care to ask these days.

by Anonymousreply 143August 18, 2019 2:28 AM

Awww, come op, R142, we can use the laughs!

What gets me is how Streisand put up with Ryan's shit. Or was that brief relationship before he became a major drug user? Or was Ryan wisely sucking up to one way more powerful in the Biz? Deferring to Sue Mengers' biggest cliient?

Babs WILL be at Ryan's funeral, along with Joan Collins.

by Anonymousreply 144August 18, 2019 2:35 AM

R144 Ryan seems to like and admire Barbra Streisand from the way he talks about her in the book, He said that she had the absolute final say in everything regarding their movies, even selecting the publicity shots which was frustrating for him because she would "Kill" many photos where he looked good but she thought she looked bad in most of the photos because she was insecure about her looks.

by Anonymousreply 145August 18, 2019 2:43 AM

R142 How does Ryan explain Redmond?

I don't know why, but I find the mess that is the O'Neal family to be endlessly entertaining and puzzling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146August 18, 2019 2:43 AM

Ryan's son Patrick with Leigh Taylor-Young is the only kid that turned out normal. But, he didn't have much contact with Ryan during his childhood. I thought it was interesting when Patrick defended Ryan years back when Kelly Osborne and others on The Today Show were trashing Ryan.

by Anonymousreply 147August 18, 2019 2:48 AM

He had a brief affair with Diana Ross, but it ended because Ryan was tired and sick of Diana's diva acts. Things didn't end smoothly between them. and Diana burst into tears and locked herself in the bathroom when she saw him with Farrah at a restaurant . Ryan is not surprised that Diana didn't mention him in her book.

At a party, Ryan felt jealous because Mickey Rourke was flirting with Farrah, she notices and marches Ryan to a bathroom, without locking the door and straddles him on the toilet asking “Feel better now?”

Ryan is disappointed and frustrated that no one was offering him any roles, he's embarrassed and depressed by his career failure. He joked that he's like a curse in the movies.

He starts to help and monitor Farrah in her career's choices.

Ryan tries to produce a movie but the project fails before the start, He hoped maybe he can try producing or directing but to no avail.

Sometimes, He was jealous of Farrah's success. It was a slap in the face, when he realized that no one wanted to take his photos alone without Farrah and knew he was over. Farrah was understanding and always sending him comforting notes and letters.

When Tatum started dating John McEnroe, Ryan hoped that he will help Tatum clean her act and stop using drugs but was disappointed when he found out they were doing drugs together.

He is shocked and hurt when Tatum doesn't invite him to her wedding and Ryan is bewildered why Tatum cut him off. She doesn't answer his phone calls.

His career failure and his problems with his children especially Tatum, took a toll on his relationship with Farrah.

Ryan felt very humiliated when he asked John McEnroe to appear on his TV show "Good sports" but John didn't reply or even acknowledge the offer after Ryan sent him the script by Patrick , John didn't reply Ryan's multiple phone calls .

by Anonymousreply 148August 18, 2019 3:25 AM

Ryan and Farrah relationship started its decline since the early 1990 and in particular after their TV show "Good sports" is cancelled.

Farrah is erratic, insecure, depressed, irrational and is physically ill most of the time. She develops an addiction to antibiotics.

Ryan is confused and doesn't know what's wrong with Farrah. He believes its because of the menopause.

Farrah is so willing to experiment lately and Ryan has to reach back for retired fantasies.

Ryan is left to take care of Redmond while Farrah is discovering herself with new age gurus and witch doctors.

Ryan blames his son Griffin for introducing young Redmond to drugs!!!! and that Farrah was worried and didn't like Griffin close relationship with Redmond but Ryan didn't see an issue at the time. He just wanted to help Griffin and make him feel loved and appreciated by letting him bond and get close with Redmond!!!

Ryan and Farrah fight a lot, he admits it got physical at times because they were both erratic.

Ryan is spending his time depressed either in the gym, reading in his bedroom or taking care of Redmond.

He suspect that Farrah is cheating on him with James Orr. He confronts Farrah but she denies the affair, he doesn't believe her but he let it pass despite his inner torture.

Ryan start an affair with his costar Leslie Stefanson who he describes as kind, comforting and understanding with a wisdom and compassion that her daughter Tatum lacked.

Farrah found Ryan and Leslie in bed together. Ryan and Farrah relationship ends but they still can't let go of each other and still friends.

by Anonymousreply 149August 18, 2019 3:56 AM

Ryan is sorry that his career is tanked and he is reduced to doing a cable reality show with Tatum, but he only did it because his daughter has "nothing to do".

He didn't hit on Tatum during Farrah's funeral. Vanity Fair twisted his words into something sick. He was just playing an inside endearing joke they used to do when Tatum was young, he wanted to put a smile on his daughter's face in this difficult time. He is sad that Tatum didn't come to his defense and clarify what happened, instead she went along with the media bashing.

When Ryan and Redmond were both arrested for crystal myth possession in 2008, Ryan says he didn't own the drugs, It belonged to Redmond and he was just hiding the drugs from Redmond in his bedroom , Ryan says "I had asserted ownership of the meth when the police first found it, thinking the court would go lighter on Redmond. In retrospect, it didn’t help him and only further sullied my reputation"!!!

When Ryan was diagnosed with Leukemia, Farrah rushed to his side, Tatum came to visit but as he said "she verbally stripped me bare, recounting the highlights of my failed life and then, before slamming the door on her way out, she said, “Well, at least my mother died with dignity.”

Ryan was very sad by Tatum's book and his friends advised him not to read it.

Mia Farrow still calls Ryan from time to time and after Farrah's death, she wrote him a beautiful letter " After Farrah died, she sent me a beautiful letter that only someone of her depth and grace"

After an ugly fight with Griffin, he cut him off . Ryan says" I do what I should have done a long time ago: I cut Griffin off for good. Really, at forty-two years old he should make his own car payments, pay his own rent, take out his own insurance. And he can buy his own paper towels."

Ryan's conclusion on Tatum is "Tatum only had two options: marry a rich and famous man and we know how that worked out -- or continue as an actress, but Tatum was never able to make the transition from appealing child to accomplished adult."

by Anonymousreply 150August 18, 2019 4:22 AM

Ryan is a troubled soul.

by Anonymousreply 151August 18, 2019 4:27 AM

Ryan recounts one incident of Farrah's kleptomaniac behavior in details.

Farrah had a fit and went mad after Ryan bought Redmond a painting of Ernie Banks "I remember I had bought Redmond a painting of his favorite baseball player, Ernie Banks, and hadn’t yet gotten around to hanging it. Farrah noticed it leaning on the dresser and started a tirade, she had attacked my kids, my ex-wife’s lifestyle, and my politics. It was as if the painting had ignited a string of ancient fights and offenses that had to play itself out for her to be able to breathe again."

Ryan describes a fight with Farrah :"Farrah and I are in my room. We’re quietly quarreling. It devolves into a shouting match. Suddenly our six-year-old son is standing in the doorway in his Winnie-the-Pooh pajamas, staring at us. He’s holding a butcher knife. He must have climbed onto a chair and pulled the knife out of the rack on the kitchen counter. He points the tip of the blade at his chest. “I’m gonna stab myself if you don’t stop it!”That ended the argument."

Ryan established trust funds for his grandchildren ".Patrick and actress Rebecca DeMornay, who had been dating for a while, have their first child. They’ll have another daughter in 2001. I establish trust funds for both, as Ihad previously for Griffin’s children. Rebecca doesn’t say a word to me."

As a result of savy investments Ryan is financially secure "got thoughtful, conservative advice and invested my earnings wisely. The returns have been handsome."

by Anonymousreply 152August 18, 2019 4:36 AM

The only rumour I'd heard about Anjelica Huston was one saying someone once walked in to whatever room it was in Polanski's house, and saw her with jack Nicholson and a 13 or 14 yo, doing 'stuff' [implied sexual] in a spa. I don't suppose anyone knows if that's even vaguely true?

Also, anyone know how O'Neal become such a cockhead? Did he grow up filthy rich and spoilt, or horribly abused, was he the only ordinary-looking boy in a small town of mutant inbreeds, or has he just been drug-fucked and mental since adolescence?

by Anonymousreply 153August 18, 2019 6:10 AM

There is a mention in one of the previous bits from the book where "Kevin" is mentioned as a brother. It turns out that Ryan has a younger brother named Kevin O'Neal. Imdb lists Kevin with a few small acting credits.

by Anonymousreply 154August 18, 2019 6:30 AM

R141 Ok, I'll tell a minor "Nice Ryan" story. I was on an airport shuttle with him, and when it turned a corner and a little toddler was about to fall over, Ryan reached out and caught him. There ya go.

by Anonymousreply 155August 18, 2019 6:33 AM

Rebecca De Mornay has two daughters with Patrick O'Neal? Wow, news to me.

by Anonymousreply 156August 18, 2019 6:38 AM

And wait, Rebecca De Mornay was "briefly engaged to Leonard Cohen"? My word.

by Anonymousreply 157August 18, 2019 6:41 AM

I love how Anjelica was so coy about Melanie as being the "actress" who was sleeping with Ryan. I love the shade of calling her one of "Tatum's playmates".

by Anonymousreply 158August 18, 2019 7:20 AM

He's a psychopath.

by Anonymousreply 159August 18, 2019 7:46 AM

And how do you get addicted to antibiotics? And using "it was a jokey game we played when she was younger" as your cover story for hitting on your kid is gross.

by Anonymousreply 160August 18, 2019 7:48 AM

[quote] When Ryan and Redmond were both arrested for crystal meth possession in 2008, Ryan says he didn't own the drugs, It belonged to Redmond and he was just hiding the drugs from Redmond in his bedroom

That doesn't make sense. Why keep the drugs? throw them out, flush them, drive down the highway and throw window, do anything but don't keep them in your house around your child who is an addict

I can believe that ryan took the drugs away from Redmond, but kept them because he planned to use them

by Anonymousreply 161August 18, 2019 8:37 AM

Typical narcissist. Everything is somebody else's fault.

by Anonymousreply 162August 18, 2019 8:58 AM

Ryan clearly has a series of personality disorders. It's very possible that the drugs were his and it was he who would supply Redmond. It is also possible that he confiscated them from Redmond with the intention to parcel them out back to him for control. These types thrive when they have God like power over other people and especially when they can unleash chaos in people's lives at will. Plus, I think Ryan prefers his kids to be addicts because they are less likely to outshine him in that state - classic narcissist. I mean he literally shot at his eldest son for trying to get Redmond to rehab.

by Anonymousreply 163August 18, 2019 9:16 AM

R141 Good story about Ryan:

O’Neal’s second wife, Leigh Taylor-Young, was the mother of his third child, Patrick....Taylor-Young retains warm feelings toward O’Neal,

“I could speak to parts of Ryan like temper and volatility and reactivity, but I deeply know his goodness,” says Taylor-Young,

“I have seen a lot of silent goodness that Ryan has done when his name was not on it, and it included me at one point when I had been very ill and lost everything in the tech wreck,” Taylor-Young says. “I went through a year or two, in 2000 and 2001, when the only person who stepped forward to help me was Ryan. I had put in breast implants in the 1980s, and the silicone creates autoimmune problems and fibromyalgia. I hadn’t talked to him in a number of years, but I called him—I was terrified—and he said, ‘There will be a check in my office in the morning.’ He supported me for an entire year, made sure I could eat and live and attend to medical things until I got back on my feet. The O’Neal family is a difficult family, and there are people who just want to condemn Ryan, but he’s not just one person, and I can speak to what he did to save my life.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164August 18, 2019 12:48 PM

Wow, so fibromyalgia can be caused by breast implants?! That explains the mystery of the sick fraus. It makes sense, putting foreign objects into your body would cause it to go into panic mode, trying to reject them.

by Anonymousreply 165August 18, 2019 12:56 PM

Interesting interview/article of Griffin about his father - 1984

When Ryan O’Neal turned 43 last April, his son Griffin called him to say happy birthday. “He was surprised,” Griffin recalls. “He couldn’t believe that I actually remembered.” The call had not been easy to make. Bound by the rules of Habilitat, the private drug and delinquency rehabilitation center he entered last June.

Finally, Griffin made one more long-distance call and found Ryan and Farrah dining at the home of Sue Mengers, the O’Neal family’s agent. It was his first conversation with his father in two months, and the next thing Griffin knew, “My dad started to cry on the phone. He listened. He misses me. And I miss him. I told him I loved him. It’s been a long time since I let him know, and I meant it.”

When Griffin was 1, Ryan left his mother, actress Joanna Moore, who later developed a dependency on Methedrine from taking diet pills. Griffin became a precocious troublemaker. I was crazy.” He was also about 4.

As a small child, “I didn’t see him that often. You know, maybe I did; maybe I just blocked it out. Later, when I was 5 or 6, he’d pick me and Tatum up on weekends and we’d go to the beach.”

At the end of 1971, Joanna entered Westwood Hospital for treatment of her Methedrine habit. Tatum moved in with Ryan in Malibu, but Griffin stayed with his mother after she was discharged. The visits with Ryan became lifelines for Griffin.

At the beach, “I remember he used to put me on his shoulders and I used to cry because I didn’t like the waves,” Griffin says. “A lot of things I was afraid of I later got into. Waves. I became a surfer. Motorcycles. I ended up racing them, slipping two discs in my back racing Chad McQueen [Steve’s son].”

At about age 8, Griffin entered his “Ping-Pong” period. “I’d do something to upset my dad and he’d say, ‘Go stay with your mom.’ I’d do something to upset my mom and she’d say, ‘Go stay with your dad.’ I was like a Ping-Pong ball, bouncing from place to place.”

Through it all, Griffin clung to his insistent Technicolor memories—frolicking on the beach, flipping Frisbees for hours with his father. “Many nights, since I was about 8,” he says, “I lay in bed and cried myself to sleep. Sometimes I still do, because I just wish all those good times, those feelings, would come back.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166August 18, 2019 1:07 PM

At 12, in 1977, Griffin went to live with Ryan and Tatum. Rugged and dashingly handsome, Ryan became an awesome hero to Griffin. Ryan showed him how to box, wrestle and shoot pool. As the boy grew up, father and son competed constantly, and Ryan did little to defuse the charged atmosphere. Eventually, Griffin got good enough to beat Ryan at pool. “Dad got angry at that one, you know,” he says, with a certain relish. When Griffin was a teenager, he and Ryan would do sit-ups on a slant board tilted to at least 45 degrees. “He did 100,” Griffin says. “I had to do 101.”

But there was one person in the family Griffin could not compete with, and that was Tatum. In her 1973 movie debut at age 9, she co-starred with Ryan in Paper Moon, and copped an Oscar. Offscreen Tatum and Ryan made quite a team—fanatically possessive and protective of each other, aggressively jocular and argumentative. Griffin recalls, “I didn’t like to be shoveled off to the side, but I understood, because she had been there longer living with him.” Tatum and Griffin got along fine but, unavoidably, “I was resentful of her success. She had all the recognition, and I had something, I knew I had something and I wanted to work.”

In 1979 he did work, starring as The Escape Artist—a role Tatum helped him land. As teenagers, Griffin and Tatum were largely left on their own. While they lived mainly at the Malibu house, Ryan spent long stretches at his Beverly Hills home, which afforded a faster commute to the studios.

In 1979 Ryan fell for Farrah Fawcett, later sold his Beverly Hills house and made her place a second home. “I adjusted, I liked Farrah,” Griffin says. “I felt she helped my dad, kept him calm.” Did she give Griffin any motherly support? “You got to understand,” he says. “To deal with my dad was one big responsibility.”

Tatum felt Ryan’s absence too. It was a 45-minute drive from Malibu to the Hollywood Professional School where the teenagers were enrolled, and Tatum drove them in her white BMW. But some mornings, when the kids were “real depressed” and “wishing Daddy were here,” they’d just “turn the car around and take off. Palm Springs, Big Sur, Aspen, anywhere.”

Early in 1983 “Daddy O’,” as Griffin sometimes refers to Ryan, got fed up and banished his prodigal son from the beach house, renting for him a tiny Malibu cabana. Griffin had been living on charge accounts sent directly to the family business manager. He had them at a food market, a gas station, a delicatessen, an expensive boutique, even a stereo store. But when Griffin’s food bills hit $1,500 a month, Daddy O’ cut him off cold turkey—except then Griffin couldn’t even afford cold turkey. He subsisted on sauerkraut. A dealing friend kept him in Quaaludes.

The gulf had grown very wide. In the months before his arrival at Habilitat nearly a year ago, Griffin was screeching out of control until one night his father slugged him. That punch knocked out two of his front teeth and triggered ignominious headlines. After the punch, Griffin caromed and skidded a few weeks more, dropping Quaaludes the way health fanatics pop vitamins. He finally crashed in a cell in Los Angeles County jail. Since no one came to bail him out, he languished for three days before the police released him, unable to prove whether a parking meter found in his apartment was in fact stolen. For a year Tatum, who is one year older, had been urging him to get treatment. A friend of hers had recommended Habilitat. He was ready. “I was always looking for a good time,” says Griffin. “Fast driving, fast living—it wasn’t there. I wanted more.”

He got more than he expected. When Griffin entered the $800-a-month center (Ryan is picking up the tab), he told his family, “I’ll be back in three to six months.”

by Anonymousreply 167August 18, 2019 1:10 PM

The climax came last May. To keep Griffin out of trouble, his father invited him to the set of Irreconcilable Differences, the first movie Ryan had made in two years. When they got back to Farrah’s that night (she was in New York starring in Extremities) Griffin dropped a number of Quaaludes and fidgeted in front of the TV. Soon Ryan appeared in racquetball togs and wanted to play. Ordinarily, Griffin would have loved nothing better than to bang the hell out of the ball, head to head with his famous father. “But I wasn’t in any condition to play,” he says.

Ryan was insistent. To keep his father at bay, Griffin lashed out. “I’m going to my mom’s,” he said. That lit Ryan’s fuse. He went downstairs to the racquetball court and “banged a few balls around.” When he returned Griffin was still there, hostile and confused.

“I didn’t want to start up,” he says, “because you don’t want to start up with my dad on these kinds of things.” He picked up his skateboard and headed out the door. Ryan pushed him out, yelling, “Go to your mom’s, then!”

Outside, Griffin realized he was in no condition to skateboard on twisty Mulholland Drive. He barged back in, saying he was taking his Austin. Ryan sat him down. “He tried to talk to me,” Griffin admits. “He said, ‘You’re going to die if you don’t be careful. What are you doing? I love you, man. You can’t do this.’ I didn’t want to hear it.”

Griffin lunged for the door. Ryan grabbed him, spinning him around. That was the last straw for Griffin. He ran at Ryan in something like a fireman’s carry and drove him backward into a set of glass shelves. They fell to the floor in a rain of broken glass and shattering plates. Griffin scrambled to his feet and made for the door. Instantly, Ryan caught up and his fist flashed.

Griffin spat out two bloody teeth and started to laugh nervously. Ryan started to cry. “He couldn’t believe what he’d done,” Griffin says. He grabbed the teeth and said, “Put ’em back in, maybe they’ll stick.” Soon they were crying in each other’s arms.

Griffin stayed the night. Father and son took a hot tub together and doused each other with apologies and endearments. For the first time in a long while, Griffin felt oddly calm, close to his father. Looking back, he says, “If he hadn’t hit me, and I would have left, I might have been dead. Because I had Quaaludes in my pocket and I was going to get nuts.”

The rapprochement proved short-lived. When the police showed up at Farrah’s the next day, Ryan accused Griffin of calling them. Griffin protested his innocence (he says the family dentist guessed what had happened and, unbeknownst to Griffin, called the police). “He didn’t believe me,” Griffin says. Two weeks later, the cops arrested him for trashing his cabana in a temperamental fit. Shortly thereafter, Griffin flew to Habilitat.

The staff has allowed Griffin to receive two visits from his family. In late October Ryan and Farrah flew in. “They were both very sweet and charming, very down to earth,” says Vickie Marino, 44, Vinny’s wife and Habilitat’s clinical coordinator. Tatum spent Christmas with her brother. “They were like peanut butter and jelly—stuck to each other,” Camacho says. “She has a great love for him but she doesn’t know how to express it. Her way is to insist he stay here. Griffin cares a lot about her. She was the balancing point in his life.”

by Anonymousreply 168August 18, 2019 1:14 PM

Poor Griffin. WHET him?

by Anonymousreply 169August 18, 2019 1:31 PM

It sounds like Ryan has gotten closer to Patrick.

Someone should make their way to this gym and scope it out for us. Perhaps there will be a Ryan sighting!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170August 18, 2019 1:57 PM

Ryan had a natural flair for comedy but unfortunately Farrah was rather stiff in their sitcom. Given time I think she would have loosened up and their passion project would have succeeded.

Farrah was a first rate dramatic actress.

Small Sacrifices with Ryan as her love interest for want of a better word was chilling. She played a mother who made Ryan O'Neal look like Father Knows Best by comparison.

by Anonymousreply 171August 18, 2019 2:02 PM

Unsold pilot. Looks fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172August 18, 2019 2:07 PM

Nice story, R155!

by Anonymousreply 173August 18, 2019 2:17 PM

R164. Thanks! I knew he had to have some good in him somewhere. ☺

by Anonymousreply 174August 18, 2019 2:19 PM

What happened to Sugar, the kitten?

by Anonymousreply 175August 18, 2019 2:57 PM

I wonder how many glass window replacement companies were on Ryan's speed dial.

by Anonymousreply 176August 18, 2019 3:17 PM

He's got so many mental disorders, visible to a layman. How did he hang on to any money? Redmond didn't stand a chance either.

by Anonymousreply 177August 18, 2019 3:57 PM

He invested in real estate at a time when it was soaring. Also, he's violent and crazy but he's not stupid.

by Anonymousreply 178August 18, 2019 4:06 PM

He's been living in that small dump on the beach in Malibu for decades. No mortgage payment and minimal property taxes.

by Anonymousreply 179August 18, 2019 4:08 PM

Did the people on the show Bones get along with him?

by Anonymousreply 180August 18, 2019 4:13 PM

Nice Ryan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181August 18, 2019 4:18 PM

Anjelica has always been about Daddy Drama. Her father, a son of a bitch drunken Irishman with no sexual boundaries was a perfect model for the men Anjelica fell for all her life.

She looks bizarre now, she always looked somewhat strange but when she was younger she could get away with it because of her father's place in the business and because she had "a face" which so many actresses don't anymore. Or they all have essentially the same face.

by Anonymousreply 182August 18, 2019 5:11 PM

R173 What was striking is how easily and sweetly he did it. Like someone who is natural with kids. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 183August 18, 2019 5:11 PM

I wonder why Ryan never (to my knowledge) went on anti-depressant/anxiety/mood altering medication. It could help.

I wonder why no woman or man never filed serious assault charges against Ryan. I know it was perfectly legal for a man to hit a woman (or hit children) up until recently, but a man who's been punched by another enraged male could always file charges. If only five people did - Ryan would have been put away for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 184August 18, 2019 5:26 PM

And no hashtag me-too stories either?

by Anonymousreply 185August 18, 2019 5:36 PM

She's over it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186August 18, 2019 5:51 PM

She's over it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187August 18, 2019 5:51 PM

Tatum looks good - due to some weight gain and expert plastic surgery

by Anonymousreply 188August 18, 2019 5:59 PM

I could see her on a Hot in Cleveland kind of show.

by Anonymousreply 189August 18, 2019 6:15 PM

Was he contractually obligated to make this sequel?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190August 18, 2019 7:06 PM

R175 "What happened to Sugar, the kitten?"

From Allegra Huston book "Love Child":

"When I got out of bed Sugar attacked my ankles—scratching and biting me, drawing tiny pricks of blood—until she realized it was me* She made a run for the door whenever I opened it, but I didn't want to let her out in case a coyote got her, or she ran away* I felt like her jailer* Soon she did escape, and I never saw her again*

by Anonymousreply 191August 18, 2019 7:55 PM

From Ali MacGraw book "Moving Pictures":

"But the part went, of course, to Ryan O’Neal, at the very last minute, and it is impossible to think of anyone but Ryan playing that role. He was already a huge television star from the soap opera Peyton Place; Love Story earned Ryan an Academy Award nomination and the status of movie star.

I loved working with him; he was sexy and sensitive, surly and funny, all things, all of the time. He and Arthur Hiller made all of us laugh from morning to night, and like Goodbye, Columbus before it, Love Story gave me the mistaken feeling that making a film was a sweet ensemble experience.

From the first time that Ryan and Arthur and I met to rehearse in an apartment overlooking Central Park in New York, I felt that I was part of something special; I think we all did. And I think that as poorly trained as I was as an actress, my sad demeanor at the end of that movie came as much from my knowing that it would end soon as from any proper actor’s preparation for Jenny’s death scene"

by Anonymousreply 192August 18, 2019 8:05 PM

I honestly loved Ali MacGraw in "Love Story." I don't get why people say she was wooden and terrible. What did they want, for Jenny to be some goombah chick? The character was supposed to be a little prickly.

by Anonymousreply 193August 18, 2019 8:11 PM

What's up with the flared nostrils thing though? Can someone control that kind of thing voluntarily? It's distracting to watch.

by Anonymousreply 194August 18, 2019 8:24 PM

Ryan with his brother Kevin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195August 18, 2019 8:31 PM

Ali MacGraw is very modest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196August 18, 2019 8:34 PM

Wow, R195. Ryan truly got all the looks in the family.

by Anonymousreply 197August 18, 2019 8:34 PM

The writing in People magazine used to be pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 198August 18, 2019 8:39 PM

What strikes me the most in Ryan's book is his brutal honesty and self deprecating humor about his failed career and limitation as an actor. I think he's even hard on himself in that regard.

I believe this is the only area in his life that he's not blaming anyone else but himself.

by Anonymousreply 199August 18, 2019 8:51 PM

Griffin is funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200August 18, 2019 10:16 PM

R199, he only admitted that because Streisand told him the same thing.

I am NOT a fan of Ali MacGraw in anything except Goodbye Columbus (she played herself). I HATED her amateurish performance in Love Story. She was okay in The Getaway. I was rooting for Ali years later in Just Tell Me What You Want, but she was a stiff as ever. Not an actress and never will be.

Kevin O'Neal looks like a short ugly version of Ryan. You must remember him as the grocery store delivery boy in Whats up Doc - they stole his bicycle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201August 18, 2019 10:27 PM

R201 What did Barbra tell him?!

by Anonymousreply 202August 18, 2019 10:33 PM

I was joking, R202, but I can hear her saying it

by Anonymousreply 203August 18, 2019 10:40 PM

Ali was one of the leads in mini-series "The Winds of War".

She was awful.

I've seen it more than once and there is absolutely no doubt of her awfulness.

Apparently I was not alone and the reviewers felt the same.

by Anonymousreply 204August 18, 2019 11:53 PM

R204 It's true, Ali MacGraw Can't act AT ALL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205August 19, 2019 12:10 AM

Poor Ali McGraw, never the sharpest tool in the shed, always a leaden actress. Horrible taste in men but evidently managed to avoid getting romantically involved with Ryan O'Neal. Pity. She had the same bad relationship with Steve McQueen, absent the nice house and staff.

by Anonymousreply 206August 19, 2019 12:16 AM

Ha ha, R205! Most people get better, or at least a little better with more practice. Ali MacGraw gets WORSE. I would have loved seeing her as Daisy Buchanan in The 1974 Great Gatsby - inept Ali and wooden Redford - a campfest!

by Anonymousreply 207August 19, 2019 12:20 AM

Ryan O'Neal Discusses Stanley Kubrick

I get the feeling that Ryan doesn't have fond memories of Kubrick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208August 19, 2019 12:29 AM

She was even worse as Lady Ashley on Dynasty. But there's something very endearing about her just the same.

by Anonymousreply 209August 19, 2019 12:45 AM

He doesn't like Kubrick but he understands that without "Barry Lyndon" he's really only a rom-com star.

Kubrick gives him more gravitas than he deserves and I like some of his work. I liked him in "The Zero Effect" in a small role supporting Ben Stiller and Bill Pullman. It's a good movie.

by Anonymousreply 210August 19, 2019 12:48 AM

Griffin is so hot and broken. Perfect for me. Shame about him killing a Coppola.

by Anonymousreply 211August 19, 2019 2:58 AM

Ryan O'Neal on parenting and Farrah Fawcett

What's with Ryan's obsession with Farrah?!! I don't know what to make of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212August 19, 2019 3:04 AM

R144 Ryan treated Barbra with kid gloves and was afraid of voicing any criticism to her.

Ryan Talks about Barbra in their movie "the main event" in Sue Mengers biography book "Can I go now"

"During the film’s preproduction phase, however, O’Neal began to get nervous. During the shooting of What’s Up, Doc?, Peter Bogdanovich had been in complete command, down to acting out scenes for the two stars. On The Main Event, Streisand seemed to have total control over director Howard Zieff, taking over the wardrobe tests and many other facets of preproduction.

“It’s all corny and silly,” remembered O’Neal, “and I’m watching it, and I don’t like it. So one night on the phone, I said to Sue, ‘Have you seen the wardrobe she wants to wear? You’ve got to talk to her, but don’t tell her I told you.’”

by Anonymousreply 213August 19, 2019 4:03 AM

Good lord, you can totally tell that he's thinking "I'm ACTING!!!!!!!!!" when he starts to wistfully ramble on about how he "failed Farrah." No, you dip-shit you actually did fail your children!!

by Anonymousreply 214August 19, 2019 4:07 AM

From Sue Mengers biography book "Can I go now"

Ryan O'Neal/Barbra Streisand in What's Up, Doc?

During the rush job on the script, Sue called Bogdanovich and urged him to cast Ryan O’Neal as the male lead, the befuddled geologist Howard Bannister. Bogdanovich dismissed the idea, but Sue wouldn’t relent. “Just go see Love Story, would you?” she begged. Bogdanovich and Cybill Shepherd finally went to see Love Story at a theater in Westwood, where they laughed all the way through it—though Bogdanovich did see some spark in O’Neal.

“Have lunch with him,” Sue urged him. “Barbra really would like it if you used him in the picture.” Bogdanovich remembered: “Barbra was having a thing with Ryan at the time. So I had lunch with Ryan, who in those days was very funny in life. He had a wise-ass kind of thing, and he was self-deprecating and charming. I liked him. I said, ‘If you do this, I’m going to make fun of you. You have to shorten your hair and we will put you in a seersucker suit and glasses. You’re really going to be square.’ He loved the idea. So I said, ‘Oh, fuck it.’ So we got Ryan.”

O’Neal had never done a comedy before and was slightly apprehensive about the challenge. “Barbra was funny,” the actor recalled. “Every other thing out of her mouth was hysterical. I had this tan—that’s what I brought to the picture!” Shortly before filming began, Ryan O’Neal met Cary Grant on a yacht party. Since Grant had starred with Katharine Hepburn in Bringing Up Baby, the film that was the taking-off point for What’s Up, Doc?, O’Neal asked Grant for any advice. “Have a good tan,” Grant replied. “That way you don’t have to come in to make-up so early. You get an extra hour to sleep.”

“Barbra is great,” observed O’Neal. “But she’s a strong woman.” O’Neal, who at the time was still married to actress Leigh Taylor-Young, called Sue and complained, “‘Listen—we’re too close. There has to be breathing room.’ She said, ‘You have three more weeks to go. Stand up. Be a man. Treat her well.’ That was my responsibility, so that’s what I did.”

Ryan and Barbra in "The Main Event" :

"During the film’s preproduction phase, however, O’Neal began to get nervous. During the shooting of What’s Up, Doc?, Peter Bogdanovich had been in complete command, down to acting out scenes for the two stars. On The Main Event, Streisand seemed to have total control over director Howard Zieff, taking over the wardrobe tests and many other facets of preproduction.

“It’s all corny and silly,” remembered O’Neal, “and I’m watching it, and I don’t like it. So one night on the phone, I said to Sue, ‘Have you seen the wardrobe she wants to wear? You’ve got to talk to her, but don’t tell her I told you.’”

by Anonymousreply 215August 19, 2019 4:40 AM

Allegra was playing with Fire. It’s a miracle Ryan didn’t try to fuck her.

by Anonymousreply 216August 19, 2019 9:35 AM

Ryan's fixation with Farrah reminds me of Burt Reynolds equally narcissistic fixation with Sally Fields. They treated those women like trash when they had them. By all accounts Ryan was broken up with Farrah since their failed sitcom and she was dating a high school sweetheart for years before she fell sick. There's YouTube footage of that dude facing off with Ryan about his "widower" press tour. Her contact with Ryan was to co-parent since he had somehow manipulated their 12 year old son into choosing to live with him - probably with the promise of free drugs and no rules. His photos weren't even in her condo for her cancer documentary and he wasn't in her will.

I believe men like Ryan and Burt fall in love with idea of being forever connected to highly accomplished women. Anything to stay relevant. If Farrah or Sally had faded into obscurity like their other exes, I guarantee you we wouldn't be living in this tiresome "love of my life" timeline. Too bad Farrah didnt publicly detach her legacy from him like Sally eventually did with Burt.

by Anonymousreply 217August 19, 2019 11:37 AM

R217 nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 218August 19, 2019 11:44 AM

R215, that's what the book may say, but in reality, O'Neal was going to be in What's up Doc before it was What's up Doc - it was a package deal even before Bogdanovich was involved, when it was A Glimpse of Tiger. No O'Neal, no Streisand, and without her the movie would not have been made. I followed all of it at the time in Variety and the movie magazines, which were sometimes correct.

R217, you're right, great post. Even in death Farrah is Ryan's meal ticket to appear like a good guy.

by Anonymousreply 219August 19, 2019 1:17 PM

One more thing, everything Ryan says about the awful The Main Event is true, but he wasn't getting many film offers at the time, and he career had hit a prolonged lull. Having Streisand call up and offer him a job - not matter how dumb the role/movie - was nothing to complain about. Movies he appeared in just a year or two later such as Partners and So Fine, were far worse.

by Anonymousreply 220August 19, 2019 1:28 PM

R217 If Farrah didn't want anything to do with Ryan in her last years, why would she allow him to appear/be in her documentary Farrah Story during her illness, and in many scenes hugging Ryan and asking him "are you going with me??!!

I think Ryan is exaggerating their "love" story, and I believe Farrah was dating another man. But it's clear Farrah still wanted and chose to be with Ryan in her last year/s of illness. She didn't include him in the will because he is secure financially, why would she include him and he had more money than her!

Also, Farrah wasn't a "highly accomplished actress", she was washed up has been in the last 2 decades in her life, doing playing covers and videos. she is not in Sally Fields' league.

by Anonymousreply 221August 19, 2019 2:04 PM

R221, Ryan also appeared in Farrah's godawful reality series of 2005, Chasing Farrah. 30 min reality shows are the dumping ground for has-beens.

by Anonymousreply 222August 19, 2019 2:13 PM

R222 Yes, Ryan and Farrah were both has beens.

Why would Farrah be forced to include Ryan in her reality shows if she doesn't want him to be there?!!!

by Anonymousreply 223August 19, 2019 2:18 PM

When he dies, I would not be surprised if Tatum admitted that Ryan did have sex with her, or at least try to. Their relationship is incredibly incestuous.

by Anonymousreply 224August 19, 2019 2:20 PM

Yeah, I don't know any fathers or daughters who "joke" about sleeping together the way Ryan has several times now. It's really gross and weird.

by Anonymousreply 225August 19, 2019 2:24 PM

[quote] Poor Griffin. WHET him?

He's been on the outs with his dad for years. He has 4 kids that he can't afford, he's a Christian and was a big fan of the tea party

Patrick is smart. He knows where his bread is buttered and is kissing up to his dad (knowing the other 2 kids are always on the outs with him). I predict he's hoping he'll be the only one in the will. I could see ryan screwing all his kids

by Anonymousreply 226August 19, 2019 2:53 PM

re above: I could see ryan screwing all his kids over in his will

by Anonymousreply 227August 19, 2019 2:53 PM

It says there are 227 posts in this thread but the thread only goes to 92.

by Anonymousreply 228August 19, 2019 3:19 PM

^^^Your post is R228. (?) I wonder who took the pictures of Tatum and Ryan on the beach when he smacked her in the face? (From the other thread) Also, how in GOD's NAME did Redmond turn out so fucking ugly with Farrah and Ryan as parents??

by Anonymousreply 229August 19, 2019 3:24 PM

[quote]Yeah, I don't know any fathers or daughters who "joke" about sleeping together the way Ryan has several times now. It's really gross and weird.

It's perfectly fine to make those kinds of jokes.

by Anonymousreply 230August 19, 2019 3:25 PM

R229, Redmond looks like Farrah

by Anonymousreply 231August 19, 2019 3:50 PM

Better to be a has-been than a never-was..

I can't think of any celebrity that didn't have a lull in the business where they had to do things to survive and or stay in the spotlight. Farrah may not have two Oscars like Sally did but she was definitely in her own League. Nobody could outsell her poster nobody experienced the phenomenon that she did so that's not even a fair criticism. Farrah was also an accomplished artist with an art degree. She was no airhead.

The only thing she and Sally have in common is bad taste in men.

by Anonymousreply 232August 19, 2019 3:58 PM

I agree. I'm sure Sally never had a drug habit either, or an addiction to plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 233August 19, 2019 4:01 PM

Sally had her own demons. Read her book.

by Anonymousreply 234August 19, 2019 4:02 PM

I don't care enough about Sally to read anything.

by Anonymousreply 235August 19, 2019 4:06 PM

You mean you don't really really like her?

by Anonymousreply 236August 19, 2019 4:32 PM

I couldn't believe how horrendous The Main Event was. I was sitting there thinking how could professionals come up with this shit?

Ali McGraw had something. God she was terrible in Love Story yet it had practically everyone in the country crying at her death where kind of like with Pia Zadora in the attic I was like good she's finally dead. And I like her a lot in GC. Caught it late night on TV. I guess she was terrific for 15 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 237August 19, 2019 4:54 PM

Where's the other thread? I'm fascinated by these trainwrecks.

by Anonymousreply 238August 19, 2019 5:02 PM

Ali seems like a decent person, at least.

by Anonymousreply 239August 19, 2019 5:06 PM

R238 Here's the first thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240August 19, 2019 6:37 PM

Ryan trying to punch Tatum - St. Tropez 1978

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241August 19, 2019 6:43 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242August 19, 2019 6:43 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243August 19, 2019 6:44 PM

Tatum crying

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244August 19, 2019 6:44 PM

Ryan angry

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245August 19, 2019 6:45 PM

She provoked me, what can I say?

by Anonymousreply 246August 19, 2019 6:54 PM

We've seen some of these pictures 3 or 4 times, hunty.

by Anonymousreply 247August 19, 2019 6:58 PM

Even when you see Tatum today there's something slightly off about her despite appearing or attempting to appear a reasonable person who has come to terms with her past. You can see that she's still damaged deep down inside and it will never be fixed. How can she not be? When you're that traumatized as a young child and are completely defenseless it can really never be fixed. You just go on living with the pain as best as you can. Ryan with his warmth(at moments), charm, smarts and (limited but undeniable) talent had so much to give his children and pretty much royally fucked them over. How stupid life is.

by Anonymousreply 248August 19, 2019 7:26 PM

I'm sorry but Barbra Stresiand looked really Ugly in The Main Event movie.

I'm surprised that Ryan fucked Barbra, he usually went for the "conventional" beautiful women.

by Anonymousreply 249August 19, 2019 7:30 PM

What I don't understand is that tow line between the two boats that killed Coppola's son weren't there flags on it? There was nothin so the tow line could easily be not seen? That seems insane to me.

by Anonymousreply 250August 19, 2019 7:30 PM

Or maybe one boat was directly behind the other and it should have been obvious there was a tow line and Griffin was in a drug and/or alcohol stupor?

by Anonymousreply 251August 19, 2019 7:33 PM

He fucked Babs for work. He wasn't a complete idiot. Did she do anal?

by Anonymousreply 252August 19, 2019 7:33 PM

She looked worse in ASIB. Babs fucked a string of handsome men. Her's is a case where talent really did = beauty. Many of those men most likely did not have to fuck her. They already were names and had the job or were in field unrelated to show biz. Gould was a nice looking guy when young and was certainly attracted to her.

by Anonymousreply 253August 19, 2019 7:40 PM

"Ali McGraw had something. God she was terrible in Love Story yet it had practically everyone in the country crying at her death"

Darling didn't you know that Love Story was a best selling novel? Everyone KNEW she was gonna be dead as a door nail by the end of the movie. It wasn't Ali's acting or charisma that made people go to the movie or cry at the ending.

You lost me R253 with "Gould was a nice looking guy." Lots of men fucked Streisand because she was the star, she was a bigger star than any of them. Why people chase stars is beyond me, but it must be taken into account.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254August 19, 2019 7:45 PM

Barbra wanted to direct Sean Connery in a movie and certainly fucking him during the filming/ afterwards but Sean turned down the offer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255August 19, 2019 7:46 PM

To tell the truth it hurt her pride the groom was prettier than the bride.

by Anonymousreply 256August 19, 2019 7:49 PM

Streisand and Sean Connery? Ha ha - no way, no how, no can do. Not ever.

by Anonymousreply 257August 19, 2019 7:50 PM

R227 I think Ryan will pull Tony Curtis and cut all of his kids out of his will. All the money will go for Farrah Fawcett research foundation.

by Anonymousreply 258August 19, 2019 7:52 PM

[quote] Yes, Ryan and Farrah were both has beens. Why would Farrah be forced to include Ryan in her reality shows if she doesn't want him to be there?

They were has beens, but Farrah was still well known. Ryan, only with the over 40 crowd, and even the people who knew who he was, really didn't care what he was up to.

The two of them together were hoping to appeal to people, perhaps create a brand. He was hoping it would get him some kind of work

by Anonymousreply 259August 19, 2019 7:59 PM

Ryan has been offerered Dancing With the Stars for years and briefly considered participating maybe he will show up this time if there's a God!

Tatum did a good job when she was on the show.

by Anonymousreply 260August 19, 2019 8:49 PM

Lovely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261August 19, 2019 8:55 PM

R260

Ryan O'Neal said he backed out of "Dancing with the Stars" because of a bad knee, but multiple sources connected with the show tell TMZ ... he REALLY backed out because he can't stand Nancy Grace.

Sources tell TMZ O'Neal feels Grace has been "disrespectful" to his family ... claiming she has gone after Redmond, who has had ongoing drug problems, and even suggested the reason Redmond is messed up is because Ryan is a bad parent.

We're told Ryan really wanted to do the show, but could not co-exist with Grace

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262August 19, 2019 9:33 PM

With the amount of drugs these assholes were on, how did they keep their looks?

by Anonymousreply 263August 19, 2019 9:37 PM

Yes I know everyone knew she was going to die. And the novel was written after the screenplay yet became a bestseller before the film opened. Still audiences though they knew the ending were crying. Obviously you weren't there. I couldn't wait for her to die and I was surrounded by sniffling. Doesn't the novel and film at the beginning tell you the tragic ending?

And maybe I just have a thing for nice slightly nerdy jewish men. They are sexier to me than in your face aren't I handsome men. Yeah I would have slept with the young Elliot. Though considering how homophobic he is(and he starred in musicals!) that wouldn't have happened.

by Anonymousreply 264August 19, 2019 10:02 PM

R262.

That's interesting I never knew that that happened.

by Anonymousreply 265August 19, 2019 10:03 PM

I think two good things about Ryan. He's not a racist and he's not a pedophile as far as we know.

by Anonymousreply 266August 19, 2019 10:20 PM

[quote]Sources tell TMZ O'Neal feels Grace has been "disrespectful" to his family ... claiming she has gone after Redmond, who has had ongoing drug problems, and even suggested the reason Redmond is messed up is because Ryan is a bad parent.

Well... she wasn't wrong!

Didn't Patrick only turn out relatively normal because his grandparents (Leigh Taylor-Young's parents) raised him? I remember reading that Taylor-Young had her own issues. She's involved with "John Morton Ministries," which is new age bullshit cult-lite, I'm sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267August 19, 2019 10:23 PM

Candy Darling, Tatum and Ryan in better times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268August 19, 2019 10:28 PM

tatum__oneal

Throw back to my baby shower for @kevinjmcenroe with my agent #suemengers #farrahfawcett and my grandma Patsy Oneal I look like I am 15 but I am 22.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269August 19, 2019 10:35 PM

Young Elliot Gould was very sexy and fuckable. Not conventionally handsome like Ryan but totally doable.

by Anonymousreply 270August 19, 2019 10:36 PM

Elliott was a hairy mess and Barbra was a whore!

by Anonymousreply 271August 19, 2019 10:39 PM

I agree but Elliot Gould had one freakishly hairy back.

by Anonymousreply 272August 19, 2019 10:42 PM

It seems that Tatum finally softened regarding her dad and remembering some positive things about him.

tatum__oneal

Happy Father's Day Dad . Just tripping on as all my style choices adventuras !! Here's to making me laugh harder than anyone else has not even close . Funniest man in the world you don't beleive me . Check out what's up doc ! 💘 I thank Ryan Oneal my dad for teaching me so many things but being able to laugh at myself has been the most valuable love you pops 🙋‍♀️!! 🌹💘 #jaysebring cutting my hair

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273August 19, 2019 10:42 PM

R207, Ali's best screen performance was in "Goodbye, Columbus".

by Anonymousreply 274August 19, 2019 10:48 PM

Well what can I tell you, maybe he finally apologized?

by Anonymousreply 275August 19, 2019 10:49 PM

tatum__oneal

Dear Daddy , Happy St. Valentine’s Day ! ♥️ I found a picture of us in better times . I want to tell you that I am me because of you, and I mean all my good qualities . The way I have taught my children the joy of irony and how to love . The ability to laugh ourselves . Love of movies . I wish things could be different that I could have made choices you could be more proud of . I have to live with myself and take pride in the woman I am today for better or worse . All I wanted, was for you to feel my love for you and know there is no preexisting reasons except that I love you . !!Just know that ! Baby Mozart at your feet . Love your daughter 🥰😘👫

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276August 19, 2019 10:50 PM

"ryan_o_neal Such sweetness #fbf Red and Farrah ♥️"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277August 19, 2019 10:50 PM

Yeah and one angry outburst from him and it will bring back years of nightmares which will shake her to the core. Believe me when you're dealing with a psycho narcissist like Ryan warm and fuzzy does not last long. She needs to stay far away from him for the rest of his life and just send him father's day greetings.

by Anonymousreply 278August 19, 2019 10:51 PM

It seems that Ali is keeping in touch with Ryan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279August 19, 2019 10:59 PM

So why the change? I think Tatum feels guilty for spending years trashing her father. Or maybe they reconciled?!

by Anonymousreply 280August 19, 2019 11:10 PM

I believe what Tatum needed most (still needs) was her father's love and approval (like the early days). But sometimes, Tatum is doing some contradictory thing, like when they were promoting their reality show (which Tatum insisted it was a way to have a fresh start and reconcile) she went on Howard Stern and literally ripped her father to shreds with Howard, the next day Tatum along with Ryan were interviewed on Today Show and she said that her interview with Howard Stern set her father off and the tension was apparent during the Today show interview. I mean if she wanted to reconcile with her father, why appear on Howard Stern and trash him. She knew that would piss her father off. I don't understand the dynamic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281August 19, 2019 11:32 PM

R264, are you talking to me? No, I wasn't there, your dinky theater in Nowheresville, USA. I was in NYC, and there was were no visible weepers. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 282August 19, 2019 11:41 PM

You saw it in the media room at your assisted living shithole on FL. Don't act grand with me

by Anonymousreply 283August 19, 2019 11:45 PM

R279, They performed in the play Love Letters together fairly recently.

When Ryan announced he'd been diagnosed with leukemia, Ali sent him a message, "I hope you didn't get it from me . . .".

by Anonymousreply 284August 20, 2019 12:17 AM

Redmond needs to speak with Cameron Douglas, who seems to have finally rebounded successfully.

by Anonymousreply 285August 20, 2019 12:19 AM

For me, the real sorrow of "Love Story" was the tortured relationship between father and son. When Ray Milland shows up at the hospital at the end, it always gets in me tears.

by Anonymousreply 286August 20, 2019 12:39 AM

R286, It took three attempts to see it in December of 1970. You'd wait in long lines in the freezing cold, only to be told the showing had sold out.

by Anonymousreply 287August 20, 2019 12:49 AM

at 26:31, Tatum is asked about her relationship with her father.

This interview is from 2017, Maybe things are better now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288August 20, 2019 2:17 AM

I seem to remember someone (on DL?) remembering seeing "Love Story" in the theaters and laughing through the whole thing, much to the dismay of people in the other seats.

Was it one of you who told that story?

by Anonymousreply 289August 20, 2019 2:19 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290August 20, 2019 2:43 AM

Interesting old article about Ryan's affair Peggy Lipton and cheating on Barbra Streisand - 1971

Welcome to Midcentury Madness, where we hop in the car with Ryan O’Neal after he invites us out, drive from party to party meeting every hip young famous person in Hollywood, listen to him complain about his former wives and daughter Tatum while barreling around curves in Laurel Canyon, scream, “RYAN SLOW DOWN,” and say a silent prayer when we think the end is near, then suddenly come to a screeching halt in front of Peggy Lipton’s house where he tells us to scram and we have to walk all the way back home.

Today, Ryan O’Neal has been going on secret dates with Peggy Lipton, Tom Jones is a healer, Paul Newman learned something amazing about women, and Raymond Burr is, like, two degrees away from some cannibals!

OK, I’m sorry, but what the hell is going on with Ryan O’Neal? I thought he and Barbra Streisand were meant for each other, but now he’s been seen around town with that Mod Squad star Peggy Lipton! Sources say “Barbra really digs Ryan,” so why is he playing her like that? “Little is known” about O’Neal’s meetups with Lipton, but given the fact that her alleged boyfriend, Lou Adler, has been seen out and about with Candice Bergen, it sort of seems like they’re both either cheating...or on the rebound after secret splits. Movieland makes a strong case for their relationship:

“There is something very appealing to many men about a girl who is recovering from a love that seems to be over.” “Another reason that Peggy Lipton must appeal to Ryan is that she has stated many times that she is not ready for marriage.” “She loves beach life too and is in with the crowd Ryan knows and digs.”

I just hope Babs makes it out OK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291August 20, 2019 3:17 AM

R291 I love the breezy style of the article. Whose byline?

by Anonymousreply 292August 20, 2019 3:21 AM

Starting at 21:33, Ryan and Farrah talk about Tatum

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293August 20, 2019 3:46 AM

Oh excuse me Mr Manhattan, you were probably so high giggling through the entire film that you ruined the movie for everyone around you.

by Anonymousreply 294August 20, 2019 3:57 AM

At 23:21 "If Ryan hadn't made a pass at you, you're probably weren't worthy in the 60s and 70s!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295August 20, 2019 3:58 AM

Old Online comments about Farrah's kleptomania - 1997

Farrah was arrested twice...and renown to have once taken thousands of dollars worth of sweaters from a store, only to have Ryan return them before charges could be pressed. Hard Copy referred to her as having "sticky fingers" reputation.

Farrah has a reputation as quite the little shoplifter, or so I've heard. So it's no surprise.

I had a friend who claims to have caught Farrah lifting a scarf from Bendel's about 12 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 296August 20, 2019 4:39 AM

Interesting that Tatum didn't mention this incident in her book:

11/30/1999

Griffin, 35 --once told The ENQUIRER: soon after Ryan moved out on Griffin and Tatum, he brought Farrah to visit them -- and she and Tatum got into a gigantic argument, Griffin said

"Tatum hated Farrah for stealing him away from her. She told Farrah: 'Dad's mine and I want him back!' Farrah shot back: 'Tough.'

"They started to trade barbs, and Dad told Farrah to shut up. When she didn't he totally blew his cool and started screaming at her.

"Farrah burst into tears and ran for the stairway that leads upstairs. Just as she reached it, Dad took his pool cue and hurled it violently -- like a spear -- in her direction.

"It struck the wall with a tremendous thud about two feet above Farrah's head and stuck into the drywall. Farrah's face turned white."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297August 20, 2019 5:10 AM

Who could maintain their sanity living in this kind of chaos?

by Anonymousreply 298August 20, 2019 5:22 AM

Look, I believe Tatum's book but what bothers me that she conveniently focused only on the negative stories about her dad.

For instance, Why didn't she mention that her dad still tried to appease her (after Farrah), and threw her a big birthday party in 1980, giving her 2 expensive cars as a birthday present, That she couldn't act during Little darlings filming and the director had to call her father to help her concentrate and was able to act well after her father visit. Also why the above story Griffen talked about in 1999 about Ryan fighting with Farrah for Tatum wasn't mentioned in Tatum's book.

I know that none of this significantly matters, but it would indicate that her father still cared about his daughter , Not the pure evil monstrous image she portrayed.

by Anonymousreply 299August 20, 2019 5:41 AM

That's QUITE enough about Ryan O'Neal, thanks. Also...your random asterisks are so frikking annoying.

by Anonymousreply 300August 20, 2019 5:51 AM

"Cher's so full of bullshit!"

--Ryan O'Neal, during the junket for Disney's new Joe Eszterhas flick, Burn, Hollywood, Burn

It seems Farrah's ex was disparaging his former Faithful costar because he found her recent eulogizing of Sonny Bono a bit too hypocritical for his taste.

"She hated Sonny!" O'Neal blurted to shocked members of the press, as well as stunned Disney execs. "All her life, she made fun of that guy, and then all of a sudden, she's crying all over the place for him. It's absurd!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301August 20, 2019 6:13 AM

For the naive: if narcissists didn't possess some capacity for charm they wouldn't have victims. Everyone would just run for the hills as soon as they met one. Their defining feature is that theit "good acts" are too few and far between to offset the damage the narcissist has done. But at the same time, those brief moments are like crack to the victim. Making them cling to relationships for longer than is rational. Especially so when it's a parent child relationship.

by Anonymousreply 302August 20, 2019 6:20 AM

For the naive: if narcissists didn't possess some capacity for charm they wouldn't have victims. Everyone would just run for the hills as soon as they met one. Their defining feature is that theit "good acts" are too few and far between to offset the damage the narcissist has done. But at the same time, those brief moments are like crack to the victim. Making them cling to relationships for longer than is rational. Especially so when it's a parent child relationship.

by Anonymousreply 303August 20, 2019 6:20 AM

Redmond apparently has Schizophrenia, bipolar and is considered "slow". No specifics on his IQ score but it's lower than average acording to Radar Online. Did the childhood drug use cause this shit or was Farrah using while pregnant? I can't buy this is all down to faulty genes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304August 20, 2019 6:35 AM

R294 = trying trying trying to defend Love Story. Try again, dear.

by Anonymousreply 305August 20, 2019 11:39 AM

Keep your friends close keep your enemies closer. And vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 306August 20, 2019 11:44 AM

With friends like Ryan who needs enemies?

He seemed so gleeful in that video about stealing his best friend's wife it's rather disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 307August 20, 2019 11:58 AM

With friends like Ryan who needs enemies?

He seemed so gleeful in that video about stealing his best friend's wife it's rather disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 308August 20, 2019 11:58 AM

DON'T post the same thing twice it'll make this thread much shorter. Hit "post" once and wait.

by Anonymousreply 309August 20, 2019 12:04 PM

Cute pic of the family in happier times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310August 20, 2019 12:11 PM

I will defend Love Story to the death. It is The Magnificent Ambersons, Gone With the Wind and The Wizard of Oz combined with the greatest collection of actors since Judgement at Nuremburg.

God R305 you are a dumbo.

by Anonymousreply 311August 20, 2019 12:15 PM

^ Thank you Ali MacGraw

by Anonymousreply 312August 20, 2019 2:00 PM

R302, I understand what you're saying. But Tatum leaving out any (even if few) good experiences she had in life with her dad, only focusing on the bad ones in her book and now, she's writing on Instagram about the positive things her dad taught her in life and his good qualities. All of this make me question Tatum's selective memory and doubt her honesty.

by Anonymousreply 313August 20, 2019 5:52 PM

This isn't a court of law, R313. Tatum can have as much selective memory as she wants, it's her life.

by Anonymousreply 314August 20, 2019 5:57 PM

R314 So, Tatum shouldn't blame her father, if she's going by her selective memory to remember whatever she wants and leave out the rest, because that's exactly what her father has been doing. Also writing a tell all book/memoir should be honest about one's life, Not self serving.

by Anonymousreply 315August 20, 2019 6:15 PM

R315, again, ALL autobiographies are self-serving. How old are you, twelve?

by Anonymousreply 316August 20, 2019 6:20 PM

He probably got a shitty diagnosis of something. I see it all of the time on FB.

by Anonymousreply 317August 20, 2019 6:21 PM

R316 I'm just a person who don't like hypocrisy.

And all this talk about Tatum's bravery and honesty should stop because she's a hypocrite and self serving like her dad.

by Anonymousreply 318August 20, 2019 6:26 PM

Here's what you don't understand, R318, Tatum does not talk about her "bravery and honesty."

by Anonymousreply 319August 20, 2019 6:40 PM

Sue Mengers could never understand why Ryan wasn't a bigger star and more popular with the public. But honestly, he had a very classic Hollywood look to him .

And in the era of Nicholson/Pacino/Hoffman/DeNiro and Beatty, I don't think that worked to his advantage. He wasn't a rugged like Burt Reynolds or Bronson. He was more Redford and Newman, but they had more box office clout and a bigger fanbase by the time O Neal hit it big.

by Anonymousreply 320August 20, 2019 6:50 PM

R319 Oh right, she's just blaming her father on everything that went wrong in her. Even though her drug addicted pedophile mother (who had a fifteen YO boyfriend) was worse.

by Anonymousreply 321August 20, 2019 6:51 PM

R320 I don't understand it either, Ryan wasn't a bad actor like many think of him. In the acting department, he was better than Redford who had pretty good acting opportunities.

by Anonymousreply 322August 20, 2019 6:57 PM

Some good story about Ryan:

Ryan O'Neal Saves Drowning Boy - 2004

Ryan O'Neal saved a boy from drowning Tuesday, after he spotted him struggling while swimming in the sea near his home.

The brave 63-year-old star of classic movies including Paper Moon and The Driver ran into the waves when he noticed the youngster having difficulties.

An onlooker says, "He was very brave. Everybody was cheering."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323August 20, 2019 7:16 PM

R320, I disagree completely, in fact, O'Neal is NOT classically handsome imo. He was a big freckled faced Irish kid type, with what looks like a broken nose. I have no idea why you lump Beatty in with Pacino and DeNiro, Beatty - more than O'Neal - was a classically handsome star (below).

O'Neal couldn't play the type of roles that Pacino played because he wasn't the right type, but he could easily have played all the Redford ones. But Redford got them. Redford was lucky in that he frequently partnered with the same director, Sydney Pollack. O'Neal partnered with Bogdanovich and did only three movies with him because Bogdanovich is a screw up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324August 20, 2019 7:18 PM

Tatum's interview on Larry King was really cringeworthy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325August 20, 2019 8:09 PM

Does Ryan still use drugs? Can he still get it up? Is he still violent?

by Anonymousreply 326August 20, 2019 9:20 PM

I love Irreconcilable Differences movie, It is such an underrated comedy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327August 20, 2019 9:51 PM

I wonder if he and Shelley Long crossed swords.

by Anonymousreply 328August 20, 2019 10:11 PM

R328 It's said that Ryan was uncharacteristically faithful to Farrah during the relationship (until it went down hill in the 1990s).

by Anonymousreply 329August 20, 2019 10:17 PM

Why would he write in his book that having sex with Farrah whilst on her period excited him? Was that really necessary?

by Anonymousreply 330August 20, 2019 11:05 PM

Tatum has plenty of backup on Ryan's assholeness from others, including Angelica. Not to mention his other kids.

by Anonymousreply 331August 20, 2019 11:19 PM

It really is luck at that level. Choosing the right scripts and having the right directors so as to keep the momentum going. Ryan was huge in the early 70s. But the hits didn't keep coming and Barry London was a big disappointment. I loved it but then I loved Eyes Wide Shut while everyone else was hate watching it.

by Anonymousreply 332August 20, 2019 11:32 PM

R332 Ryan said in one interview that his career was over after Barry Lyndon.

by Anonymousreply 333August 20, 2019 11:44 PM

"It's said that Ryan was uncharacteristically faithful to Farrah during the relationship"

I have a building at 725 Fifth Avenue I'd like to sell you.

by Anonymousreply 334August 20, 2019 11:52 PM

R331 Ryan was certainly an Asshole but there was also some good things about him but Tatum is so bitter and angry at her father to acknowledge the good side and portrayed him as a pure evil man in her book/interviews. Tatum will only remember the good things about her dad after his death and she will regret trashing him for decades. One can only hope she won't relapse again into drugs after Ryan's death.

by Anonymousreply 335August 21, 2019 12:05 AM

R335, Ryan, you are beating a DEAD HORSE.

by Anonymousreply 336August 21, 2019 12:12 AM

R334, Ryan revealed in his book that Farrah caught him in bed with a twentysomething redhead he was seeing behind her back.

by Anonymousreply 337August 21, 2019 12:14 AM

R337 Yes, but that was in 1996, and that what finally ended their shaky relationship. Ryan said he was unusually faithful to Farrah and some of their friends confirmed this as well.

by Anonymousreply 338August 21, 2019 12:22 AM

R338, Ryan, you are full of SHIT. Give me some links to the "friends" comments, come on, I dare you.

by Anonymousreply 339August 21, 2019 12:25 AM

R335 Au contraire, I predict that after Ryan O'Neal dies all the real dirt will come out about him. You know Griffin and Tatum will come out with new biographies after he dies with ALL their dirty laundry. Patrick seems to have latched onto Ryan in hopes he'll get the inheritance and Redmond... well... anyway.

I don't think the way Tatum discusses Ryan is hypocritical at all. She probably feels like she owes him a lot in some ways because he's responsible for her successes, but both of her parents were obviously unprepared to be parents and let down their children in major ways. It's not like Ryan locked her in a closet and molested her, so that's probably why she's conflicted about him. He can obviously come off as charming when he wants to, but no doubt he can be a right asshole, too. If anything, Tatum and Griffin (and Redmond) seem to, at least, suffer from childhood emotional neglect... which I think accounts for a ton of their behaviour. Like any sane person, I don't think that parents should be held fully accountable for how their adult children turn out but when 3 of your children are major fuck-ups... I think it's time to reassess your parenting skills.

Anyway...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340August 21, 2019 12:27 AM

Is Redmond currently incarcerated?

by Anonymousreply 341August 21, 2019 1:18 AM

R332 I love "Barry Lyndon," too. It's one of a handful of DVDs I care enough to own. It's long but exquisitely beautiful, the story is good, and Ryan is fantastic in it. The scenes where he beats the shit out of his stepson certainly raise the old eyebrows. Just as his tenderness to his own little boy is endearing. The two faces of Ryan? (I also liked "Eyes Wide Shut.")

by Anonymousreply 342August 21, 2019 1:44 AM

He ain't so bad.

by Anonymousreply 343August 21, 2019 2:21 AM

Redmond was hot before the meth face took over.

by Anonymousreply 344August 21, 2019 2:40 AM

Ryan was a proud father for a while.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345August 21, 2019 3:12 AM

R345 I bet Sue gave him that shirt. Promoting both her clients.

by Anonymousreply 346August 21, 2019 3:19 AM

It doesn't matter if Ryan was nice to her sometimes. It doesn't matter if her mother was nice to her sometimes. It doesn't make them okay as parents, it doesn't mean their parenting was a mixed bag, just even more inconsistent and chaotic. The effect of the fucked up parenting she received from both was more than enough to destroy Tatum for the rest of her life.

Attention "Pedo" freak, one - fucking older teens is not pedophelia. Sorry, I know you want it to be but it just isn't; two - if your father behaves in an inappropriate way with you, alternating being seductive with being brutal, he doesn't have to actually fuck you in order to damage you beyond repair. The effect is pretty much the same whether he technically fucked Tatum or not.

by Anonymousreply 347August 25, 2019 7:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!