Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

38 Americanisms the British Can’t Bloody Stand

Here are just 38 of the Americanisms it seems the British public really can’t stand.

1. When people ask for something, I often hear: “Can I get a . . .” It infuriates me. It’s not New York. It’s not the ’90s. You’re not in Central Perk with the rest of the Friends. Really.

2. The next time someone tells you something is the “least worst option,” tell them that their most best option is learning grammar.

3. The phrase I’ve watched seep into the language (especially with broadcasters) is “two-time” and “three-time.” Have the words double, triple, etc., been totally lost?

4. Using 24/7 rather than “24 hours, 7 days a week” or even just plain “all day, every day.”

5. The one I can’t stand is “deplane,” meaning to disembark an aircraft, used in the phrase “you will be able to deplane momentarily.”

6. “Touch base”—it makes me cringe no end.

7. Is “physicality” a real word?

8. Transportation. What’s wrong with transport?

9. Does nobody celebrate a birthday any more, must we all “turn” 12 or 21 or 40?

10. What kind of word is “gotten”? It makes me shudder.

11. “I’m good” for “I’m well.” That’ll do for a start.

12. “Bangs” for a fringe of the hair.

13. Takeout rather than takeaway!

14. “A half hour” instead of “half an hour.”

15. A “heads up.” For example, as in a business meeting—Let’s do a “heads up” on this issue. I have never been sure of the meaning.

16. To put a list into alphabetical order is to “alphabetize it”—horrid!

17. People that say “my bad” after a mistake. I don’t know how anything could be as annoying or lazy as that.

18. “Normalcy” instead of “normality” really irritates me.

19. Eaterie. To use a prevalent phrase, oh my gaad!

20. I’m a Brit living in New York. The one that always gets me is the American need to use the word bi-weekly when fortnightly would suffice just fine.

21. I hate “alternate” for “alternative.” I don’t like this as they are two distinct words, both have distinct meanings and it’s useful to have both. Using “alternate” for “alternative” deprives us of a word.

22. “Hike” a price. Does that mean people who do that are hikers? No, hikers are ramblers!

23. Going forward? If I do I shall collide with my keyboard.

24. The most annoying Americanism is “a million and a half” when it is clearly one and a half million! A million and a half is 1,000,000.5, where one and a half million is 1,500,000.

25. “Reach out to” when the correct word is “ask.” For example: “I will reach out to Kevin and let you know if that timing is convenient.” Reach out? Is Kevin stuck in quicksand? Is he teetering on the edge of a cliff? Can’t we just ask him?

26. I hate the fact I now have to order a “regular Americano.” What ever happened to a medium-sized coffee?

27. My worst horror is expiration, as in “expiration date.” Whatever happened to expiry?

28. I am increasingly hearing the phrase “that’ll learn you”—when the English (and more correct) version was always “that’ll teach you.” What a ridiculous phrase!

29. I really hate the phrase “Where’s it at?” This is not more efficient or informative than “Where is it?” It just sounds grotesque and is immensely irritating.

30. My pet hate is “winningest,” used in the context “Michael Schumacher is the winningest driver of all time.” I can feel the rage rising even using it here.

31. My brother now uses the term “season” for a TV series. Hideous.

32. Having an “issue” instead of a “problem.”

33. I hear more and more people pronouncing the letter Z as “zee.” Not happy about it!

34. To “medal” instead of to win a medal. Sets my teeth on edge with a vengeance.

35. “I got it for free” is a pet hate. You got it “free” not “for free.” You don’t get something cheap and say you got it “for cheap” do you?

36. “Turn that off already.” Oh dear.

37. “I could care less” instead of “I couldn’t care less” has to be the worst. Opposite meaning of what they’re trying to say.

38. Dare I even mention the fanny pack?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 466September 5, 2019 9:25 PM

28 is bullshit. No one says they except in the South.

And it's "eatery," not "eaterie."

Notice that we don't complain about UK English despite its irrelevance compared to American English.

We eclipsed you. A century ago. Deal with it. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

by Anonymousreply 1August 15, 2019 6:38 AM

What’s all this then? Pardon while I put me kettle on. It’s all rather preposterous, innit?

by Anonymousreply 2August 15, 2019 6:52 AM

It's cak day not birthday OP

by Anonymousreply 3August 15, 2019 6:58 AM

OP, have you been drinking due to the stress of the pound sterling losing its value?

by Anonymousreply 4August 15, 2019 7:00 AM

So you think that calling a regular coffee an “americano” is an American phrase?

It’s Italian - and traveled here via Italianesque coffee shops

Now, if you will excuse me, I am about to go enjoy an ice cold drink ... something now easily obtainable in London.

PROGRESS!

by Anonymousreply 5August 15, 2019 7:15 AM

How do you feel about the expression "it's been a minute" instead of "it's been a long time."?

Example -"It's been a minute since Britain was a relevant world power."

by Anonymousreply 6August 15, 2019 7:16 AM

Brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 7August 15, 2019 7:18 AM

I believe these are meant to refer to supposed Americanisms being used in Britain by British people, not to Americans using American English in the United States of America. Nevertheless ...

Some of these are annoying to Americans as well. Ask the DL about "I could care less", for example.

However, "two-time" is not the same as "double". "Double" means twice at the same time. "Two-time" means twice, but at different times. A double Oscar winner won two Oscars in the same year, probably for the same film (e.g. Best Director, Best Picture), except that nobody says this, ever. A two-time Oscar winner won them in different years for different films.

I hate "where's it at", too. It sounds ignorant.

People who say "orientate" instead of "orient" (v) have no business criticizing people who say "transportation" instead of "transport" (n).

by Anonymousreply 8August 15, 2019 7:19 AM

How do you feel about speaking German?

by Anonymousreply 9August 15, 2019 7:20 AM

We say "dead-eyed shark" and you say "Duchess of Sussex",

by Anonymousreply 10August 15, 2019 7:22 AM

The author sounds like a real Fredo.

by Anonymousreply 11August 15, 2019 8:02 AM

I'm British and disagree with the majority of that list, so I think it's Americanisms the WRITER can't bloody stand, not the British. There are far, far more egregious Americanisms than that list.

by Anonymousreply 12August 15, 2019 8:10 AM

We fought a Revolution so we wouldn't have to say stupid things like fortnightly.

by Anonymousreply 13August 15, 2019 8:11 AM

OP: Bravo!! I too cringed at your list, and I'm American.

by Anonymousreply 14August 15, 2019 8:30 AM

OP you’re cringing at colloquialism and especially Ebonics, which can come across as a wee bit racist and elitist.

But I do hate “if I was...” and “I wish I was...”

by Anonymousreply 15August 15, 2019 8:38 AM

[quote]I believe these are meant to refer to supposed Americanisms being used in Britain by British people, not to Americans using American English in the United States of America. Nevertheless ...

No. He says he lives in New York

See # 20

[quote]20. I’m a Brit living in New York. The one that always gets me is the American need to use the word bi-weekly when fortnightly would suffice just fine.

by Anonymousreply 16August 15, 2019 8:43 AM

Some of your list is ridiculous. Some of it I agree with.

by Anonymousreply 17August 15, 2019 8:53 AM

As a Brit who has lived in the USA:

The only Americanism used by Brits that bugs me, but not when Americans use it is "Guys".

"Guys! Listen to me!" etc...even if there are women involved. It just sounds bad with an English accent and affected.

Talking of which "British accent" is a misnomer and slightly irritating - but you can't expect Americans to know what they're saying.

And I rather hate when people refer to America as "The States" or "the US" - especially if they're English. American DLers tend to say America...and ALWAYS if they're being sentimental.

[bold]But I could fill a page with Americanisms I LIKE[/bold] - starting with "Gurl, puhlease!" or "gurl" on its own, even - especially when addressing a man. It always makes me laugh. DLers use it less and less frequently these days, sadly. I blame the "GUUUUURL!" gif troll. Remember him?

Recently I've noticed Americans throw the insult "Racist!" around far too frequently. I thought it was a DL thing, but it's American I've discovered.

Also the "ass" thing. WAY overused. And it's such a nasty word.

"Hot" is annoying as well...in a sexual context. Are there no other words you can use?

by Anonymousreply 18August 15, 2019 9:05 AM

I'm a lifelong southern American who would laugh in the face of anyone who said any variation of "fortnight". That sounds like some bullshit Brits may have said 400 yrs ago. Pretentious and tedious. OP- get over yourself and acclimate to the country in which you now dwell.

by Anonymousreply 19August 15, 2019 9:07 AM

r18, racist is being used as an insult because racism--in the age of Trump--is overwhelming in the US right now. It's all out in the open and they need to be called out on it.

by Anonymousreply 20August 15, 2019 9:12 AM

[quote]36. “Turn that off already.” Oh dear.

Which of you contributed this one?

by Anonymousreply 21August 15, 2019 9:14 AM

[quote]27. My worst horror is expiration, as in “expiration date.” Whatever happened to expiry?

"Expiry" expired because it is a nearly meaningless abbreviation for "expiration." It merely hints at its purported meaning.

by Anonymousreply 22August 15, 2019 9:16 AM

r5 but i thought an Americano was a two-time shot of expresso in... oh, never mind, you sockdologizing old man trap.

by Anonymousreply 23August 15, 2019 9:20 AM

Agree with much of the list, but some are silly. As someone said upthread, “fortnight” practically sounds Middle English. On the other hand, “My bad” sounds illiterate.

by Anonymousreply 24August 15, 2019 9:48 AM

How do you like the phrase "we're all fucked" OP? As in were all fucked thanks to Dump and Boris. I think we all have bigger, yellow haired fish to fry, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 25August 15, 2019 10:06 AM

[quote]On the other hand, “My bad” sounds illiterate.

It's meant to. It's just a play with words. American English is much less uptight and jokey. Like "I'm good". It covers all bases.

A few other similar Americanisms I like - "I'm done!" and "That's not good!" - when a minor disaster happens.

by Anonymousreply 26August 15, 2019 10:21 AM

OP has a point for approximately the first half of his complaints, which deal with U.S. verbal bastardizations of the language. These are pertinent.

But then he devolves into petty whining, when he mentions expressions in the U.S. that are simply different from those used in the U.K.

So, what began as legitimate complaint from an observant pedant disintegrated into the prissy pouting of an entitled queen.

by Anonymousreply 27August 15, 2019 10:25 AM

“Americano” is the bullshit phrase that the UK makes you use to order a regular coffee. The writer of the list is an ignorant fuck. The UK is as full of them as the U.S. Only Americans are more aware of the ignorance around us, unlike Brits.

by Anonymousreply 28August 15, 2019 11:04 AM

"gotten" is a perfectly acceptable word and has its roots in Middle English. It's most frequently used in New England as a remnant of early settlers in that area.

by Anonymousreply 29August 15, 2019 11:28 AM

Oy, go smoke a fag.

by Anonymousreply 30August 15, 2019 11:32 AM

Op was sat down the pub eating his tea!

by Anonymousreply 31August 15, 2019 11:37 AM

Given OP's long and peevish list is it any wonder she can't find or keep a boyfriend?

Keep in mind she took to time to type out a list of 38 items. She hasn't even touched on home decor or fashion yet...

by Anonymousreply 32August 15, 2019 11:37 AM

Oh, FFS. Once again DL displays its near-total lack of reading comprehension skills. OP has pasted a list from Lithub, and provided the link at the bottom of the post. OP DID NOT WRITE THIS LIST. It's not his list, so stop talking to him as if he's the one who wrote it. Learn to fucking read, people!

by Anonymousreply 33August 15, 2019 11:38 AM

Dear Americans - before you all start getting bent out of shape...

I am pretty sure this is not the OP’s personal list. Look at the title! He’s quoting some poll where people have commented on “Americanisms” they dislike.

Americanisms are American phrases that British people start using unnecessarily - and they sound like pretentious knobs in the process.

I am sure it must work the other way round too. Surely an American who started saying “bloody” or something would sound like an affected prat, right?

That’s what the OP is about, so no need for the stupid “Would you prefer to be speaking German” crap. We’ve only recently stopped paying you for showing up late, so don’t make out you did us any favours. And the 6th richest country in the world is not “irrelevant” - but nice try.

by Anonymousreply 34August 15, 2019 11:45 AM

[quote] Surely an American who started saying “bloody” or something would sound like an affected prat, right?

No, not really. They'd say it as a sort of joke...not to sound "British".

by Anonymousreply 35August 15, 2019 11:57 AM

[quote] 33. I hear more and more people pronouncing the letter Z as “zee.” Not happy about it!

Private joke not funny to anyone other than the people involved, but the fact that "zed" is going out of style makes me very happy.

Not to mention all those poor zedbras.

by Anonymousreply 36August 15, 2019 12:01 PM

Strange. The British now say ON a street...like the Americans.

We used to say IN.

"I live IN Flood Street" - which was weird, quite frankly.

by Anonymousreply 37August 15, 2019 12:15 PM

Took them one second to work in a “Friends” reference. They’re obsessed.

by Anonymousreply 38August 15, 2019 12:16 PM

[quote]32. Having an “issue” instead of a “problem.”

Gurl, not all issues are problems.

by Anonymousreply 39August 15, 2019 12:21 PM

You sound fun, OP.

by Anonymousreply 40August 15, 2019 12:21 PM

Only when they're magazines, R39.

by Anonymousreply 41August 15, 2019 12:23 PM

The problem with that list is that it conflates poor grammar with "Americanisms." Poor English grammar is a scourge of both British and Americans. We get it. British and American English is different.

The majority of that list is silly and sounds like the person has spent too much time on DL or is the stereotypical fussy Brit. You don't hear Americans complaining about:

- Jumpers for sweaters / Pants for underwear

- Bob's your uncle

- Anti-clockwise

- Orientated

- Pudding

- Using plural verbs for collective nouns: The team are...

by Anonymousreply 42August 15, 2019 12:23 PM

Friend works with a British woman who uses "brilliant" every conversation, over and over. Talk about overused.

by Anonymousreply 43August 15, 2019 12:26 PM

[quote]You don't hear Americans complaining about jumpers for sweaters.

I can't stand "jumpers" for sweaters.

by Anonymousreply 44August 15, 2019 12:27 PM

R34 Americano here (Texas, Los Angeles, DC and Baltimore, FWIW linguistically): I’ve noticed more Americans using British words and phrases more and more often. Now, I do watch a lot of BritBox and TCM but I think Americans use words like row and queue fairly often. I like it.

by Anonymousreply 45August 15, 2019 12:30 PM

[quote]- Anti-clockwise

What do the Americans say?

[quote] You don't hear Americans complaining about

They DO complain about "he's in hospital" leaving out the "the".

But I've been multi-posting on this thread as a Brit and I realise these days most of my experience of America and American English is DL driven. So my perspective might be slightly warped.

[quote]Have a cuppa! (also annoying)

What's wrong with that? It's nice.

Have a bicky with your cuppa! I've got Digestives...and HobNobs, take your pick!..or, even better, a nice slice of M&S Lemon Drizzle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 15, 2019 12:33 PM

And don't forget "gingers," r45.

by Anonymousreply 47August 15, 2019 12:34 PM

[quote] I’ve noticed more Americans using British words and phrases more and more often.

They say "film" more and more often.

They even say "cinema" sometimes

by Anonymousreply 48August 15, 2019 12:36 PM

[quote] “Bangs” for a fringe of the hair.

Bangs are only hair over the forehead, what do Brits call that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 15, 2019 12:39 PM

I can't stand when Brits say: He's in hospital instead of He's in THE hospital. BRITS , what happened to THE?

by Anonymousreply 50August 15, 2019 12:41 PM

[quote]I can't stand "jumpers" for sweaters.

No one says jumpers anymore...it's not the 1950s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 15, 2019 12:41 PM

[quote]Bangs are only hair over the forehead, what do Brits call that?

Fringe

by Anonymousreply 52August 15, 2019 12:42 PM

I've never even heard many of the OP's list. But I think the Brits, of all people, should get over it. Let's not even start to list all the ridiculous Britishisms that not only Americans, but the rest of the world, can't stand. Starting with the way Brits abbreviate any word they can possible abbreviate, such as "she gave it to me on appro". Is saying the whole word "approval" that hard? And there's not enough room here to begin to list all the others.

So you Limeys can piss off with your dislike of our "Americanisms"

by Anonymousreply 53August 15, 2019 12:45 PM

You Brits abbreviate certain words even more than Americans. Words like Fruit and Vegetables. You Brits say: Fruit and VEG. I can't stand that one.

by Anonymousreply 54August 15, 2019 12:48 PM

A lot of this is corporate speak, which is stupid sounding to most people, unless you are the drone who perpetrates it.

And Brits, please stop with “bloody” and “brilliant”. What a snooze fest your adjectives are. At least Americans are creative.

by Anonymousreply 55August 15, 2019 12:48 PM

Americans say transportation. We NEVER abbreviate that word, you Brits say-TRANSPORT.

by Anonymousreply 56August 15, 2019 12:50 PM

I am so tired of people who try to correct me when they ask how I'm doing and I respond, "I'm good." When I say how are you, they respond with a bit of a smirk and say, "I'm WELL," emphasizing the last word. I always want to respond, "You're also wrong."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 15, 2019 12:52 PM

I agree R57. "Good" is how you feel. "Well is how healthy you are". You're right, they're wrong.

by Anonymousreply 58August 15, 2019 12:55 PM

[quote]5. The one I can’t stand is “deplane,” meaning to disembark an aircraft, used in the phrase “you will be able to deplane momentarily.”

I like George Carlin’s take on a similar colloquialism:

“Get ON the plane? Fuck you! I’m getting IN the plane. You can get ON the plane!”

by Anonymousreply 59August 15, 2019 12:56 PM

Britishisms are too cloyingly precious for my taste. People who call diapers “nappies” and cups “cuppas” have no leverage for complaining about deplaning.

by Anonymousreply 60August 15, 2019 12:57 PM

[quote] Starting with the way Brits abbreviate any word they can possible abbreviate, such as "she gave it to me on appro". Is saying the whole word "approval" that hard? And there's not enough room here to begin to list all the others.

Oh, right...the Americans never do that...they even abbreviate pedophile...and pornography. Your examples are ridiculous.

and I've never heard "appro" in my life.

[quote] You Brits say: Fruit and VEG. I can't stand that one.

Beats the fuck out of "produce".

by Anonymousreply 61August 15, 2019 12:57 PM

Why isn’t anyone mentioning the fact that many of these words and phrases are ones that many use in America’s chain gang, i.e., the office?

“Warden, I’ll reach out to Pam and touch base with Bob today.”

by Anonymousreply 62August 15, 2019 12:59 PM

[quote] and I've never heard "appro" in my life.

Then you must be deaf. And "pedo" is not an Americanism. The abbreviated form of pedophile is used the world over.

by Anonymousreply 63August 15, 2019 1:00 PM

[quote]And "pedo" is not an Americanism.

No shit.

by Anonymousreply 64August 15, 2019 1:01 PM

R62, going forward, please be careful in precisely how you reach out to Pam. We don’t need it to become problematic for the company. Mmmmmkay?

by Anonymousreply 65August 15, 2019 1:03 PM

[qutoe]No one says jumpers anymore...it's not the 1950s.

Do people actually say sweater in the UK? I used to spend a ridiculous amount of time in London for work and don't recall anyone using sweater - though I have to admit, I wasn't really paying attention.

Actually, people also referred to hoodies, sweatshirts, and zip-up adidas-type jackets as jumpers. Likewise, I don't recall anyone ever having used hoodie or sweatshirt.

People used to laugh when I said pants instead of trousers.

by Anonymousreply 66August 15, 2019 1:03 PM

Thank you, r33. I copied the list into the OP so no one would shriek! "but it's behind a paywall."

by Anonymousreply 67August 15, 2019 1:08 PM

We Americans hate the words wanker, bloody and sorggy.

by Anonymousreply 68August 15, 2019 1:09 PM

In the US a jumper is something a a baby wears.

by Anonymousreply 69August 15, 2019 1:10 PM

Is [italic]Write it Right[/italic] by Ambrose Bierce still relevant?

by Anonymousreply 70August 15, 2019 1:12 PM

[quote]20. I’m a Brit living in New York. The one that always gets me is the American need to use the word bi-weekly when fortnightly would suffice just fine.

Oh well that clarifies things. Fuck off back to the UK if you don’t like the idioms your host country uses.

Typical British arrogance really. That used to be cute when the UK was a country that mattered but now it’s just sad.

by Anonymousreply 71August 15, 2019 1:12 PM

[quote]To put a list into alphabetical order is to “alphabetize it”—horrid!

I suppose a Brit would alphabeti[bold]s[/bold]e it.

by Anonymousreply 72August 15, 2019 1:13 PM

^ r72 If "zed" is disappearing, Brits, it's because you're failing to use it where you should.

by Anonymousreply 73August 15, 2019 1:14 PM

Well, the English gave us the word "cunt" so that's one good thing.

On the other hand, the English eat "spotted dick"--wot, a dick with pimples?

by Anonymousreply 74August 15, 2019 1:14 PM

OP, happy to hop on a quick call and discuss.

by Anonymousreply 75August 15, 2019 1:17 PM

no worries

by Anonymousreply 76August 15, 2019 1:18 PM

[quote]And "pedo" is not an Americanism. The abbreviated form of pedophile is used the world over.

UM...no.

by Anonymousreply 77August 15, 2019 1:20 PM

How is 'conversate' missing from the list at OP? I can't bear it.

by Anonymousreply 78August 15, 2019 1:22 PM

That would cause someone else to shriek! "RACIST!", R78.

by Anonymousreply 79August 15, 2019 1:25 PM

Now I want to double-down, and use these expressions even more than I already do!

by Anonymousreply 80August 15, 2019 1:35 PM

I don’t know if it’s strictly an Americanism, but I loathe “at the end of the day.” Some people get a sort of Tourette’s syndrome and repeat certain phrases constantly. “You know what I’m saying” is another one. Probably if we could all play back tapes of ourselves speaking, it would eliminate some of these lazy habits.

by Anonymousreply 81August 15, 2019 1:44 PM

Pot calling the kettle black? No American worth his salt would call football "footy". What is it with the British and baby-talk or silly cutesy terms:

absobloodylutely, ace, arse over tit, bagsy, bangers, bee’s knees, Blighty, blimey, bloke, “Bob’s your uncle”, bog roll, budge up, cheesed off, chav, chevs, chockablock, chuffed, codswallop, dosh, dog’s bollocks, dog’s dinner, elevenses, footy, give you a bell, gutted, hoover, jim-jams, kip, knackered, “know your onions”, legless, mental, nappy, nicked, nipper, nosh, nutter, plonker, “to pull”, scrummy, skive, snog, sprog, stag night, starkers, telly, toff, tosser, uni, “up the duff”, wazzock

by Anonymousreply 82August 15, 2019 2:14 PM

Fortnightly? Suck my ass you brown-toothed toad.

by Anonymousreply 83August 15, 2019 2:40 PM

They lost their wealth after World War One.

They lost their empire after World War Two.

They lost their minds (and will soon lose a big chunk of their economy) when they voted for Brexit.

And this arrogant fool is worried they're losing their supposed linguistic superiority?

Shortages of food and medicine come November 1st? Ports backlogged? New tariffs on everything an island nation needs to buy or sell abroad? Collapsing currency? and this Brit says...

"My worst horror is expiration, as in “expiration date.” Whatever happened to expiry?"

You're about to find out, OP.

by Anonymousreply 84August 15, 2019 2:44 PM

I honestly see nothing wrong with any of those things, and find it hard to take criticism from idiots who say "Zed" for the final letter of the alphabet, as if it was your country uncle, and who say they were "at hospital" as if they can just drop definite articles like they don't matter.

by Anonymousreply 85August 15, 2019 2:47 PM

It’s all good.

by Anonymousreply 86August 15, 2019 2:48 PM

I think you have stress issues, dear. If shit like like that enrages you need meds.

Just remember there are loads of Britishisms that are annoying but don’t send me into a rage. The penchant to infantalize many of your words is particularly egregious.

by Anonymousreply 87August 15, 2019 2:50 PM

Sneakers? Worn to sneak?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88August 15, 2019 2:52 PM

That's a good one, R86.

I like MAJOR EYE-ROLL - why did (American) DLers stop saying that?

I always loved "Touch Tone" - it always sounded so Jetsons to me as a Brit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89August 15, 2019 2:53 PM

if shit like that enrages you, you need meds. Damn iPhone

by Anonymousreply 90August 15, 2019 2:55 PM

These are Americanisms that often bug Americans for some reason, that I like:

"Thinking outside the box" - great expression and very useful.

"Networking" - DITTO

"Go for it!" - very 80s.

"It's not rocket science" - excellent expression.

"Awesome" used to bug me though. I guess that was '90s.

by Anonymousreply 91August 15, 2019 3:00 PM

How do you feel about "I've had sufficient"?

by Anonymousreply 92August 15, 2019 3:08 PM

This might be the dumbest article about language I've read in years. Language constantly changes -- words mean one thing, then another, then still another, throughout the centuries, in every language. If the English language were as frozen as this Brit twit would like, then we'd all be talking like Chaucer.

Bill Bryson wrote a terrific book about language a while back but an even better book is Semantic Antics, which shows you that a large fraction of the words you now use once meant something completely different centuries, or sometimes, decades ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93August 15, 2019 3:17 PM

These complaints from the land of gap-teeth chavs, pretentious euphemisms, luv and Our Audrey and middle-class overreaching for U and simultaneous underreaching with put-on East End non-rhotics and swallowed syllables?

Okay, then.

Tell the estimable Boris Johnson hi for us, you insolent shatty-pants. Ta.

by Anonymousreply 94August 15, 2019 3:25 PM

R94 = angry American.

by Anonymousreply 95August 15, 2019 3:29 PM

Hey, we only need one very short list as to why the Limeys can fuck of: 1. they're pompous assholes.

by Anonymousreply 96August 15, 2019 3:36 PM

Dude, Bro, and Bra (variation of bro) might well be three of the worst Americanism I've ever heard. And their overuse of the preposition 'like' is an irritant, even more so now that it's made its way over here no thanks to those mingers the Kardashians America flung at us.

by Anonymousreply 97August 15, 2019 3:52 PM

'Bloody' this and 'Bloody' that. Wow. That's attractive.

by Anonymousreply 98August 15, 2019 3:58 PM

Brits complain and criticize - it's just who they are. They have their usual list of what Americans say incorrectly without ever venturing to look at their own pronunciation and how it evolved.

The English think they are correct simply because English started on that island. Don't bother arguing with them - it's "to-MAH-toe", although they pronounce this word (potato) "po-tay-toe".

The English have the least amount of knowledge about their own language it seems - they just want to be finger-wags and declare something 'not right'. One of the things I hate the most about the English.

by Anonymousreply 99August 15, 2019 4:07 PM

They worship America.

Here's a snapshot of the American section at my local supermarket in London.

Click on it >

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100August 15, 2019 4:31 PM

"Anyone who says clark" (when the word is "clerk") "is a jark."

by Anonymousreply 101August 15, 2019 4:56 PM

I want someone to tell me why Britons don't use the word "my". I can't find ME sweater. I'm going to meet ME brother for lunch. I need to call ME mother this weekend. Really? MY means ownership.

by Anonymousreply 102August 15, 2019 5:14 PM

"ME" is a working class thing - and non-working calls people might say it as a joke. Much the way American gays might talk like a black woman...gurl, puhlease etc..

[quote]I want someone to tell me why Britons don't use the word "my".

Most people do say MY. You sound stupid.

by Anonymousreply 103August 15, 2019 5:25 PM

[quote]How is 'conversate' missing from the list at OP? I can't bear it.

It's only a fraction of the US demographic who uses the hideously stupid "conversate." I have never once heard it used by anyone who was educated.

As far as "go to hospital," we Americans say "go to school," so I don't see what the problem is.

by Anonymousreply 104August 15, 2019 5:26 PM

& we Brits DO say I'm taking the car to THE garage to get it serviced.

by Anonymousreply 105August 15, 2019 5:28 PM

[quote]8. Transportation. What’s wrong with transport?

"Transport" is a verb. Or it used to be, before the "alternative" crowd took over.

by Anonymousreply 106August 15, 2019 5:35 PM

Ive never heard many of the things OP is bitching about but I do agree about the “like” thing. It seems to be young people who talk like that.

“I was, like, omg! Like, it was so totally crazy”

by Anonymousreply 107August 15, 2019 5:36 PM

Or, as the Brits say:

[italic]Relax, unwind a bit,

'effin blind a bit

Put down the custard fucking cream

And shut the fuck up[/italic]

Julie Walters - "Acorn Antiques"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108August 15, 2019 5:36 PM

So much for assimilating.

by Anonymousreply 109August 15, 2019 5:37 PM

I need to have a convo with OP at half ten. Elevenses?

And they own the concept of standing IN lines ON line IN queue.

Independent Scotland YES!

by Anonymousreply 110August 15, 2019 5:39 PM

OP, at least we have orthodontist and teeth whitening.

by Anonymousreply 111August 15, 2019 5:39 PM

Is a British Americano something other than espresso and hot water?

by Anonymousreply 112August 15, 2019 5:42 PM

R110 has never left Des Moines.

by Anonymousreply 113August 15, 2019 5:44 PM

Peoria, r113...

r110

by Anonymousreply 114August 15, 2019 5:46 PM

Funzies. Even if you're not from the two little islands.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115August 15, 2019 5:49 PM

People from Manchester sound really weird, right?

by Anonymousreply 116August 15, 2019 5:53 PM

[quote]15. A “heads up.” For example, as in a business meeting—Let’s do a “heads up” on this issue. [bold]I have never been sure of the meaning[/bold].

Yes, dear. You've made that abundantly clear. And thanks for the heads-up.

by Anonymousreply 117August 15, 2019 5:57 PM

I thought: "that'll learn you" was intended humorously, similar to "I resemble that remark" or "I second that emotion"?

by Anonymousreply 118August 15, 2019 6:05 PM

[quote]17. People that say “my bad”...

...are not nearly as bad as people who say "people that" instead of "people who."

by Anonymousreply 119August 15, 2019 6:06 PM

R97 it's "brah" and now there's "bruh."

by Anonymousreply 120August 15, 2019 6:14 PM

R118 that's exactly how my friends and I say it here in the Northeast, when someone does something stupid and suffers the consequences. For example, someone dancing atop a coffee table and it collapses, injuring them in the process. We would then tell them "That'll learn ya!"

by Anonymousreply 121August 15, 2019 6:21 PM

Pasty, fish belly white, baked bean toothed, mush mouthed idiots who call sex rumpy-pumpy, have no room to talk.

by Anonymousreply 122August 15, 2019 6:29 PM

Is there any woman more fug than a British woman?

by Anonymousreply 123August 15, 2019 7:40 PM

r123...her mother.

by Anonymousreply 124August 15, 2019 7:58 PM

British teefs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125August 15, 2019 8:00 PM

Hearing "24/7" chaps my ass!

It's a dumb way of saying "all the time".

by Anonymousreply 126August 15, 2019 8:04 PM

Rumpy-pumpy? For real?

by Anonymousreply 127August 15, 2019 8:06 PM

Someone in the UK doesn't like things Americans may or may not say.

I don't know if I can live anymore

by Anonymousreply 128August 15, 2019 8:06 PM

R126 it's short for "24 hours a day, 7 days a week."

by Anonymousreply 129August 15, 2019 8:07 PM

My least favourite Brit speak is the chronic use of "fancy" for "like", or "prefer".

"Would anyone [italic]fancy[/italic] a tuna fish salad sandwich?"

Annoyingly twee, posh and, well.....fancy!

CUT IT OUT!

by Anonymousreply 130August 15, 2019 8:14 PM

I don't fancy "fancy" either, r130. But what I really don't fancy is "keen on" or "keen to."

by Anonymousreply 131August 15, 2019 8:21 PM

who gives a fuck what the brits think? It's almost 2020 and most of them still talk like a bunch of babies. It's no wonder so many young people/millennials are using Americanisms now and using American traditions. They don't want to sound like idiots

Turn on the cooker

where are the kiddies?

I have a prezzie for you

It's time for brekkie (breakfast)

we're going on our elevenses (a break at work)

I'm chuffed to bits

I'm gobsmacked

That is a sticky wicket (tricky situation)

Fairy cakes (cupcakes), jacket potatoes

by Anonymousreply 132August 15, 2019 8:25 PM

Brekkie is revolting to me.

by Anonymousreply 133August 15, 2019 8:27 PM

"Perhaps you'd fancy a trip to Maccas?"

The dumbest nickname for McDonalds ever, especially since it also at times refers to Paul McCartney!

by Anonymousreply 134August 15, 2019 8:28 PM

R132-You forgot to mention The TELLY for television.

by Anonymousreply 135August 15, 2019 8:45 PM

Am I supposed to give crap what some British guy likes.

by Anonymousreply 136August 15, 2019 8:47 PM

With the BBC and the Beeb, I am surprised they don't call a TV the Teev.

by Anonymousreply 137August 15, 2019 8:49 PM

Oh, do shut up, Portia.

by Anonymousreply 138August 15, 2019 8:51 PM

Fuck off, OP. Americans have never used fortnight, same with expiry. If you’re going to live in the US, don’t expect us to conform to the word usage you’re used to in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 139August 15, 2019 9:03 PM

"Fag" for a cigarette is one that will really turn people's heads if you say it in the US.

by Anonymousreply 140August 15, 2019 9:13 PM

I hate being called a "Yank." I'm a Texan. It grates to no end.

by Anonymousreply 141August 15, 2019 9:15 PM

"Two-time" and "three-time" imply repetition whereas "double" and "triple" imply multiplication. They have different meanings.

by Anonymousreply 142August 15, 2019 9:16 PM

[quote]"Would anyone fancy a tuna fish salad sandwich?"

Why would you call it ‘tuna fish’? Is there a tuna dog we’re not aware of?

by Anonymousreply 143August 15, 2019 9:18 PM

R118, it’s also a touch of ironic humor. The speaker is ostensibly in a superior position smarts-wise, yet is dumb enough not to know how to say it. (In theory, anyway.)

It’s like a joke I use frequently when the situation presents itself:

“How dare you incinerate I don’t know big words!”

by Anonymousreply 144August 15, 2019 9:20 PM

[quote]I thought: "that'll learn you" was intended humorously, similar to "I resemble that remark" or "I second that emotion"?

Depends on the trash-level of the speaker. In most cases: humorous.

by Anonymousreply 145August 15, 2019 9:49 PM

The brits call dessert "pudding"... drives me INSANE. No, pudding is just one KIND of dessert. Pudding comes in vanilla, chocolate, and butterscotch.

Pie is not 'pudding'. Ice-cream is not 'pudding'. Cake is not 'pudding'.

Fuck the brits and their stupid ;misuse of the word 'pudding' when they mean DESSERT.

by Anonymousreply 146August 15, 2019 10:12 PM

But we love our PUD r146!

How can we have our pudding if we don't eat our meat?

by Anonymousreply 147August 15, 2019 10:19 PM

I'm guessing that the diamonds that come out of the author's exceptionally clenched hole are anal-retentive clean.

by Anonymousreply 148August 15, 2019 10:27 PM

R100, that's funny. There are so many familiar brands and products ... and then Jolly Rancher soda. I had no idea such a thing existed.

I wonder if any Brits actually buy and use Hamburger Helper. It's really trailer trash food in America. It's neighbo(u)r on the shelf, Stove Top Stuffing, is not exactly in the luxury food category, but Hamburger Helper makes it look like foie gras.

I also wonder what Brits would think of the "British food" section of my supermarket.

by Anonymousreply 149August 15, 2019 10:33 PM

[quote]Why would you call it ‘tuna fish’? Is there a tuna dog we’re not aware of?

The same person who says "tuna fish" is also the one who says "ink pen," as in, "I borrowed your ink pen." I fucking hate that.

by Anonymousreply 150August 15, 2019 10:34 PM

[quote]Pudding comes in vanilla, chocolate, and butterscotch.

Mmmmmmmm. Butterscotch pudding!

by Anonymousreply 151August 15, 2019 10:34 PM

[quote] "Perhaps you'd fancy a trip to Maccas?" The dumbest nickname for McDonalds ever, especially since it also at times refers to Paul McCartney!

"Mickey-Dee's" is not much better.

by Anonymousreply 152August 15, 2019 10:35 PM

[quote] - Anti-clockwise What do the Americans say?

We say "counter-clockwise." They seem equally appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 153August 15, 2019 10:36 PM

[quote]How do you feel about "I've had sufficient"?

I feel the same way about it that I always do when you FUCK UP THE GODDAMNED QUOTE. It's "I HAVE sufficient," you dumb cluck!

by Anonymousreply 154August 15, 2019 10:37 PM

[quote]In the US a jumper is something a a baby wears.

No. This is a jumper. (US version.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155August 15, 2019 10:39 PM

[quote]I don’t know if it’s strictly an Americanism, but I loathe “at the end of the day.”

The (English) lyrics to this famous song were written by a Brit (an an OBE, no less.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156August 15, 2019 10:41 PM

R139, like approximately three-quarters of the comments in this thread, yours completely misses OP's point. These are supposedly American expressions that BRITISH people use IN BRITAIN. The list is not a complaint about American English spoken by Americans in America. It's a complaint about Brits' use of what had heretofore been American expressions and usages whilst remaining in Britain.

Sometimes British usage and expressions are adopted in American English, too.

by Anonymousreply 157August 15, 2019 10:41 PM

R157, see number 20 on the list:

[quote]20. I’m a Brit [bold]living in New York[/bold].

Be careful getting down from your high horse.

by Anonymousreply 158August 15, 2019 10:50 PM

I'm always noticing how many American sayings are used on British tv shows nowadays. So different from the 1970s when you never heard American slang used on British tv. Things like "Ya think?" "Yeah, really?" "Not joking." "No way."

by Anonymousreply 159August 15, 2019 11:32 PM

Bikky for cookie (biscuit)

by Anonymousreply 160August 15, 2019 11:33 PM

I love stovetop stuffing. Pour some Heinz gravy from a jar over it, open a can of Ocean Spray jellied cranberry sauce and you don't even need Costco precooked turkey breast.

by Anonymousreply 161August 16, 2019 12:06 AM

Did you win the Lifetime Olive Garden card, r161?

by Anonymousreply 162August 16, 2019 12:07 AM

There’s nothing worse than Brits. They are just fucking annoying. No exceptions.

by Anonymousreply 163August 16, 2019 12:09 AM

They eat the worst food in the world. Not only Spotted Dick aka “every schoolboy’s delight” but Toad in the Hole and Bangers with mashed, canned peas. No wonder the teeth are a mess.

by Anonymousreply 164August 16, 2019 12:29 AM

The hatred on this thread is disgusting.

First off, what is up with American education? None of you can fucking read, apparently. This is not the OP’s list - and it’s talking about Americanisms, not American English. Americanisms used by non-Americans.

British teeth are perfectly fine...that’s a lazy, ignorant stereotype by someone who probably hasn’t even got a passport, let alone visited GB

And given that we’ve been speaking the English language for 1500 years and counting, it’s the height of ignorance to claim we’re using words like “pudding” wrong. We’ve been using that word for longer than the US has even existed.

Hardly anyone eats Spotted Dick anymore (shame, as it’s nice). Bangers and mash = sausage & mashed potato. How does that damage teeth? And how is it different from meatloaf & mash?

And this from the nation that serves jelly with salad, whips sugar into butter and has so many fat people I’m surprised it’s still afloat.

by Anonymousreply 165August 16, 2019 12:44 AM

R165, I'm sorry, but you're using the word "pudding" wrong. Period.

It's like calling all entrees "steak". It's stupid, it's wrong, it makes no fucking sense. Pudding is a TYPE of dessert. You can't call a strawberry tart "pudding' because IT'S NOT FUCKING PUDDING.

THIS is Pudding:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166August 16, 2019 12:48 AM

Another red letter day for DL...this is so funny.

by Anonymousreply 167August 16, 2019 12:51 AM

R166 What about Panty Pudding? Is it a pudding or a tart?

by Anonymousreply 168August 16, 2019 12:53 AM

I hate it when Americans say Maths. Oh that's right, We don't.

by Anonymousreply 169August 16, 2019 12:55 AM

You're ignorant. A lot of Brits use the word dessert. Fuck you and your ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 170August 16, 2019 1:03 AM

Hey fuck you R165. I work in fashion and I’m constantly surrounded by ghetto Brits that are so fucking annoying in every way. Why do you all want to come over here?? And London just feels so incredibly unsafe these days. You don’t know when you’re going to get stabbed or have acid thrown on you. And your teeth are a mess. And then there’s that awful Edward Enninful and Naomi Campbell. Both are just British trash. Everyone who lives in New York knows how trashy and tacky the majority of you are.

by Anonymousreply 171August 16, 2019 1:07 AM

[quote]They eat the worst food in the world. Not only Spotted Dick aka “every schoolboy’s delight” but Toad in the Hole and Bangers with mashed, canned peas. No wonder the teeth are a mess.

Where the hell are you getting all these pre-1970 references from? Period set TV murder mysteries?

by Anonymousreply 172August 16, 2019 1:08 AM

Oh and you can have all your terrorists too.

by Anonymousreply 173August 16, 2019 1:08 AM

You forgot "MAGA". I hate it.

by Anonymousreply 174August 16, 2019 1:08 AM

R169, that whole "maths" thing is my biggest pet-peeve. It sounds so stupid. It's MATH class, not MATHS class.

by Anonymousreply 175August 16, 2019 1:09 AM

Brits and the French hate each other. However, calling a "main" an "entree" is ghastly AF to Brits.

by Anonymousreply 176August 16, 2019 1:10 AM

[quote] And your teeth are a mess.

I don't know why Americans are so proud of their freaky looking teeth.

But I guess you think all Brits should go to America to get their teeth fixed America-style. The outcome is wonderful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177August 16, 2019 1:13 AM

[quote]And London just feels so incredibly unsafe these days. You don’t know when you’re going to get stabbed or have acid thrown on you.

That's not ethnic Brits who are doing that.

by Anonymousreply 178August 16, 2019 1:13 AM

This whole thread is like one long Joel & Lia video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179August 16, 2019 1:15 AM

Coming from a nation of bad dentistry and stanksleeves, the OP is a little too picky about America.

by Anonymousreply 180August 16, 2019 1:16 AM

Oh, r178, thank you: who, precisely, is doing those things?

by Anonymousreply 181August 16, 2019 1:16 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182August 16, 2019 1:16 AM

[quote]Thank you, [R33]. I copied the list into the OP so no one would shriek! "but it's behind a paywall."

Oh well, I tried, OP. But I guess it's true that you can't fix stupid.

by Anonymousreply 183August 16, 2019 1:19 AM

Can we do more stuff to annoy Brits so that they’ll quit copying everything we do and will hopefully stay out of our country?

by Anonymousreply 184August 16, 2019 1:28 AM

[quote]You're ignorant. A lot of Brits use the word dessert. Fuck you and your ignorance.

Nice try, R170. In Nigella Lawson's book "How to Eat", desserts are listed in the index under puddings. Someone mentioned on another thread that the term "dessert" is considered lower class, while (or whilst) the upper classes say "pudding". Truly annoying.

OP, are you supposed to say "I would have got the answer right... " instead of "I would have gotten the answer right... " That's hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 185August 16, 2019 1:32 AM

R182, I enjoy them, but I'm a little different. I'm American, so I don't try to correct my spelling or my form of English to suit a Brit. But, if I were in the UK, and managed to meet the Queen, I would bow to her, even though that's not expected of Americans. She deserves my respect more than any American politician. I made a snarky response upthread, but I find our Brit members to be very delightful, and I don't really want to cause them any offence. If they make fun of me, that's okay.

by Anonymousreply 186August 16, 2019 1:32 AM

[R172] No, I have observed these items in the British Foods section of the grocery store. Also I used to work as an assistant for an old British battle axe and she ate these things, as well as crullers and cheap jugs of dry sherry. She is the one who told me that spotted dick is “the delight of every schoolboy.”

by Anonymousreply 187August 16, 2019 1:33 AM

I don't like when British people call their backyard the garden. When it's just grass, it seems silly to call it a garden. It's a lawn or yard.

by Anonymousreply 188August 16, 2019 1:41 AM

There’s a reason the Pilgrims left that ghetto known as England.

by Anonymousreply 189August 16, 2019 1:50 AM

The problem with the British is that some dumb flyover Americans think that their accents and annoying expressions are cute. Then the Brutish, like a bunch of overgrown drunk toddlers, think that all Americans are going to be charmed by their colloquialisms and so they don’t shut up and continually repeat themselves ....“bloody blimey brilliant” in loud voices hoping for a fawning response. We have to put up with this in our major cities everyday.

by Anonymousreply 190August 16, 2019 2:00 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191August 16, 2019 2:04 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192August 16, 2019 2:07 AM

is this possibly not photo-shopped?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193August 16, 2019 2:10 AM

It’s no myth—I watch the BBC news hour, cause I’m so swank, and it’s a sea of bad teeth

by Anonymousreply 194August 16, 2019 2:10 AM

R161: Yum, that's my favorite use of the Thanksgiving leftovers.

by Anonymousreply 195August 16, 2019 2:12 AM

Ewwwww 75% of British Pakistanis marry their first cousins!!

by Anonymousreply 196August 16, 2019 2:14 AM

Whilst you lads were rowing, my scrummy spotted dick went septic. I am gutted now that the pud I so fancied has spoilt

by Anonymousreply 197August 16, 2019 2:15 AM

There’s a series on YouTube called Only Human. Watch it if you want to see how gross the UK is.

by Anonymousreply 198August 16, 2019 2:24 AM

As the Brits would say, this bloke is a total git.

by Anonymousreply 199August 16, 2019 2:28 AM

[quote]And this from the nation that serves jelly with salad

Who the hell eats a salad with jelly on it? I have never seen this in my 50 years of life and am genuinely curious as to where this happens. Is it a regional thing?

by Anonymousreply 200August 16, 2019 3:04 AM

I prefer to think of the US and the UK as two countries separated by a common language. American English has evolved much more rapidly than the British version. They've been saying shit like bloody, jolly well, pudding forever. Calling the trunk of the car the boot and the hood the bonnet is my pet peeve with them. The more dynamic version of the language will win out in the end, but not a reason to hate on the Brits. I think a lot of DLers must be of Irish descent and are STILL pissed about the potato famine. Get over it already, you're all better off in the US than you would have been staying on that impoverished island. And as an FYI, the Irish can't stand Irish American tourists.

by Anonymousreply 201August 16, 2019 3:34 AM

I'm happy to tell OP that not a single American who reads this will ever change anything about how he or she speaks.

I am so constantly astounded that ANY British person honestly believes Americans give a shit about his or her opinions of anything.

by Anonymousreply 202August 16, 2019 3:38 AM

[quote] Who the hell eats a salad with jelly on it?

When the British say "jelly," they mean what Americans will (generically) call "Jell-o."

The person who posted this knew this, and just posted it to get a rise out of you.

by Anonymousreply 203August 16, 2019 3:40 AM

Number ten, your British Twit, is what English had until your one percent deemed it unfashionable in the eighteenth century. Now sod the fuck off and get back to your normally scheduled brexit fiasco

by Anonymousreply 204August 16, 2019 3:43 AM

Thanks, r203.

I don't know anyone who eats Jello on their salad, either. Is it in reference to those horrible Jello mold desserts from the 50s and 60s?

by Anonymousreply 205August 16, 2019 4:19 AM

One thing I hear over and over from people from other countries is how standardized American English is. Yes we have regional accents and various colloquialisms, but they're not all that different. A person from California can perfectly understand a person from Alabama and vice versa, that kind of thing. They're amazed that a country as huge as the United States has very little variation in slang and accents.

by Anonymousreply 206August 16, 2019 4:23 AM

[quote] that whole "maths" thing is my biggest pet-peeve. It sounds so stupid. It's MATH class, not MATHS class.

I'm American, but I can see why "maths" makes sense--it's short for mathematicS (i.e., plural.) Not that I'd ever say it (except if I were in the UK, of course.)

by Anonymousreply 207August 16, 2019 4:30 AM

r206 Don't you think that has a lot to do with television, radio, and movies?

by Anonymousreply 208August 16, 2019 4:30 AM

r205 Gelatin salads are still popular. Strawberry-pretzel salad (which is more like cheesecake) was a trendy recipe a few years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209August 16, 2019 4:32 AM

I like Brits, I don't know why some of you have problems with them.

by Anonymousreply 210August 16, 2019 4:35 AM

I'll take your word for it, r209, but I have never seen those anywhere. That's why I asked if it was a regional thing.

by Anonymousreply 211August 16, 2019 4:36 AM

r211 I live in LA too. We obviously travel in different circles. Mine have Jell-O salads in them.

by Anonymousreply 212August 16, 2019 4:56 AM

Where can I partake of these culinary wonders, r212? That strawberry concoction looked pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 213August 16, 2019 5:00 AM

R158, if you read the story at the link, the list was compiled from submissions by BBC viewers. They weren’t all written by the same person.

For many of the rest of you, why are you cussing out OP? The link is right there. Jesus be some reading comprehension.

by Anonymousreply 214August 16, 2019 5:17 AM

Jell-o salads are awesome. Only tiresome pretentious twats turn their noses up at them.

by Anonymousreply 215August 16, 2019 6:29 AM

What is a 'milky drink"? I know what milky loads are.

by Anonymousreply 216August 16, 2019 6:37 AM

Americans say poop, we say bigjobs.

YOU decide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217August 16, 2019 9:28 AM

Let's start with "bloody" as being absolutely annoying...

by Anonymousreply 218August 16, 2019 9:49 AM

All I know is, Brits constantly appropriate Americanisms, American food, and American pop culture. Americans rarely appropriate Britishisms, British food, or British pop culture. The rest of the world appropriates Americanisms, American food, American pop culture, by orders of magnitude more than British examples of those things. For better or worse, and it is definitely worse, you'll still find McDonald's worldwide. Fish and chips shops, not as much.

by Anonymousreply 219August 16, 2019 10:33 AM

Except, R219, we appropriated their language. And law.

The rest is window dressing.

by Anonymousreply 220August 16, 2019 11:25 AM

America/England = family.

No wonder we love and hate each other. Snip and snipe.

But in the end I don't know any other two countries in the world as close.

America & Canada? NO.

by Anonymousreply 221August 16, 2019 12:12 PM

Straight away for right away.

by Anonymousreply 222August 16, 2019 12:57 PM

If anyone wants an insight into why exactly Americans are considered arrogant, rude pieces of shit by the rest of the world, they should simply read this thread.

The British do not have particularly bad teeth. Human beings have bad teeth - including rather a lot of Americans, especially the ones who live in trailers and fuck their relatives.

The difference is that when we get bad teeth, no one has to go into debt to get a filling. Because, you see, we give a shit about each other here and make sure that healthcare is a right not a privilege reserved for those with money. We’re not selfish, “I’m alright” arseholes, you see.

It’s also a fact that we’re not shallow, image obssessed, materialistic numbnuts who are too stupid to realise how absurd their plastic teeth look. Americans don’t have better teeth - they have better fake teeth.

Just like everything else in that fat, narcissistic, self-absorbed sorry excuse for a nation.....fake teeth, fake tits and fake noses for fake people.

And you don’t want to come to London because it’s “dangerous”? I’d stand alone in the centre of London for 24 hours straight with money pinned to my clothes sooner than I’d spend 30 seconds in an American school, quite honestly. What kind of people are you when your children want to kill each other?

“Pudding” for coloured, sugary slop is your appropriation of an existing word. Only the stupidest of people cannot understand that the continued use of a word in it’s original form is not “wrong”.

Go and educate yourselves, if you can. I don’t know where you’ll do that, though, given that so many of you go through years of education and still come out managing to believe that evolution is a myth - that’s a dreadful indictment of your country, right there.

Cunts.

by Anonymousreply 223August 16, 2019 1:23 PM

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 224August 16, 2019 1:27 PM

The word "conversate" is a word I've only heard used by African Americans.

by Anonymousreply 225August 16, 2019 1:40 PM

Just admit it and move on. Admit that British, Americans, French, Germans, Italians, Greeks, and all other nationalities have silly habits, silly phrases, and ridiculous impressions of other nationalities. We all get a kick out of pointing out each other's foibles if for no other reason than poking fun at others is an all too comfortable trait in human beings. Trust me all you gap toothed Limeys, it doesn't mean we don't really love you to bits. Because we do.

by Anonymousreply 226August 16, 2019 1:45 PM

[quote]8. I am increasingly hearing the phrase “that’ll learn you”—when the English (and more correct) version was always “that’ll teach you.” What a ridiculous phrase!

The last time I heard this phrase was as a lyric in the musical Carousel (or is it Oklahoma?). I've not ever heard a real person use it.

by Anonymousreply 227August 16, 2019 2:53 PM

[quote]“Pudding” for coloured, sugary slop is your appropriation of an existing word. Only the stupidest of people cannot understand that the continued use of a word in it’s original form is not “wrong”.

Pudding is not cake. Cake is cake.

Pudding is not pie. Pie is pie.

Pudding is not a tart. A tart is a tart.

Pudding is not a torte. A torte is a torte.

Get it?

by Anonymousreply 228August 16, 2019 3:02 PM

Fuck you r223 and fuck you r210. You can both go to hell. R210 why don’t you move your nasty ass over there so an inbred Pakistani can push you down a flight of stairs.

R223 I hate your rude arrogant guts. And you butthole faced fuckers do have bad teeth

by Anonymousreply 229August 16, 2019 3:19 PM

Good God R229, do you need a Midol?

by Anonymousreply 230August 16, 2019 3:42 PM

"That'll learn you" is a phrase started in Appalachia. It's basically hillbilly parlance.

by Anonymousreply 231August 16, 2019 3:44 PM

r229 = Angela Merkel, pissed off that she won't have the British to kick around any longer

by Anonymousreply 232August 16, 2019 3:45 PM

The only thing worse than a bitchy gay, is a bitchy gay with an english accent!

by Anonymousreply 233August 16, 2019 3:45 PM

R132, Half of those examples are not remotely what you're describing as 'baby talk'. And some that are said, like, 'Prezzies' and 'Kiddies' are meant to be taken as humorous and playful not remotely serious. God what a insufferable bore you must be. And from a nation that gave us the vocal fry you already sound like idiots!

by Anonymousreply 234August 16, 2019 3:55 PM

Quite a surprise when pudding is only a satsuma...

by Anonymousreply 235August 16, 2019 4:36 PM

I'm still confused about "gotten." It's the past participle of the verb "get." Like, "I've gotten really sick eating shellfish." It's not slang or an Americanism; it's how the verb is conjugated.

by Anonymousreply 236August 16, 2019 5:05 PM

"we appropriated their language."

No we didn't. The people who came here were English, it was THEIR language. The things they appropriated grim us on the other hand, were never theirs.

by Anonymousreply 237August 16, 2019 5:05 PM

*from

by Anonymousreply 238August 16, 2019 5:06 PM

Some of what you say may be true R223 but.... Brexit proved that Brits are no better than Americans when it comes to xenophobia, hatred, and bigotry.

by Anonymousreply 239August 16, 2019 5:09 PM

R223 this makes it worse, you have free health care, why do so many of you allow your teeth to be fucked up? Even many of the upper class, and the royal family have fucked up teeth. It's not a matter of being shallow or plastic, you don't have to have American type teeth if you don't want to, but for fucks sake, at least, at the very least, fix them so they don't look like crooked baked beans! Is that too much to ask?! No!

Have some damned self respect.

by Anonymousreply 240August 16, 2019 5:13 PM

R165 -- You might want to go back and study your country's history. You have not been speaking English for 1500 years. Your country's inhabitants spoke a Celtic language that would be completely unrecognizable to any modern English person until the Saxons etc invaded in the 5th and 6th centuries, then your language changed again after the Normal Conquest, and then your language changed and changed again and again. But what you call English didn't really appear long after 1500 years ago.

Odd how the Brits don't know their own history very well.

by Anonymousreply 241August 16, 2019 5:15 PM

At least trailer trash and hillbillies have a good excuse for fucked up teeth, they're poor and have no insurance. The British have no excuse. You don't leave the house with your hair all fucked up, or your clothes. You don't walk around with half of your lunch smudged around your mouth. Have some self respect and fix those bottle caps you call teeth.

by Anonymousreply 242August 16, 2019 5:23 PM

"bitchy gay with an english accent"

Isn't that redundant?

by Anonymousreply 243August 16, 2019 5:24 PM

Wow in all my years here never realized how deep the anti-Anglo and Anti-American sentiment ran on both sides of the pond. Very eye-opening.

Most of this thread has been hilarious however. Like old-school DL.

by Anonymousreply 244August 16, 2019 5:25 PM

R243, haha.

Ooops. My Bad!

by Anonymousreply 245August 16, 2019 5:25 PM

"crooked baked beans"! LOL LOL LOL LOL Oh my God I almost peed myself over that one.

by Anonymousreply 246August 16, 2019 5:28 PM

R244

Old school DL was sooooooooooooo fuckin' funny! I don't what happened to those guys. I wish they'd come back.

I got banned for years for some reason. When I moved my IP changed and I was able play again, but by then this place was ghost town.

by Anonymousreply 247August 16, 2019 5:28 PM

[quote]Brexit proved that Brits are no better than Americans when it comes to xenophobia, hatred, and bigotry.

That's a very simplistic way of looking at it.

by Anonymousreply 248August 16, 2019 5:31 PM

I say, there is nothing wrong with our fine British teeth! Our teeth are what God gave us and we are very happy with them. Besides they make chewing a beef steak much easier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249August 16, 2019 5:31 PM

Arguably the most privileged man in all of Britain. A fucking Prince. He's certainly not hurting for cash, yet he allows this bullshit to go on in his mouth for 7 decades! WTF?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250August 16, 2019 5:36 PM

I don't like the British or the Australians. They're annoying and too-cute-by-half.

Just obey, you limeys (yeah, I know that refers mainly to UK people, but who cares). America's your master.

by Anonymousreply 251August 16, 2019 5:40 PM

Can you imagine the stench of Charles' halitosis? I don't care how thoroughly he brushes his teeth, and from the looks of things, he doesn't, you can't do a good job of cleaning your teeth when they're so crowded and crooked.

by Anonymousreply 252August 16, 2019 5:41 PM

[quote]And this from the nation that serves jelly with salad, whips sugar into butter and has so many fat people I’m surprised it’s still afloat.

I’m American and what kind of salad has jelly? Butter and sugar are whipped together for pastries everywhere. We do have lots of fat people but so does the UK, Italy, Germany and many others.

by Anonymousreply 253August 16, 2019 5:50 PM

I love all things British (except jumper). Stop picking on OP.

OP, how do you feel about "woke"?

by Anonymousreply 254August 16, 2019 5:58 PM

[quote]R97] it's "brah" and now there's "bruh."

Breh.

by Anonymousreply 255August 16, 2019 6:07 PM

[quote]I can't find ME sweater.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256August 16, 2019 6:09 PM

All that money her whole long privileged life, titled duchess, married to a prince, but her "teefs" look like she's a banjo player from Appalachia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257August 16, 2019 6:10 PM

These are the wealthy, ROYALS. Can you imagine the poor?

by Anonymousreply 258August 16, 2019 6:12 PM

[quote]The British do not have particularly bad teeth. Human beings have bad teeth

Actually they don't. Not naturally. Bad, crowded teeth are a recent phenomenon of a poor diet heavy in carbs. Cultures who eat no grains or sugar (just meat, veg, fruit, fats, dairy, nuts and seeds---basically Keto or Paleo), have perfect teeth and no need of orthodontia. But it starts in the womb when bones and teeth are being formed, so the mother has to have a grain and sugar fee diet as well.

Read this. It's quite interesting (and one more reason to add to the huge pile on why we are not meant to eat grains and sugar):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259August 16, 2019 6:22 PM

OP is one of those twats who thinks the sun never sets on the Empire.

Well, guess what.......

by Anonymousreply 260August 16, 2019 6:28 PM

I've noticed that black people usually have amazing super white, straight teeth. It's not because their teeth are set against dark skin either, their teeth are, for the most part, fantastic. There are exceptions, but they are few. And it holds true regardless of which country they're from.

by Anonymousreply 261August 16, 2019 6:31 PM

Well you know what they say. Black don't crack. I guess that goes for the choppers too.

by Anonymousreply 262August 16, 2019 6:38 PM

Exactly r262, and I noticed that Asian teeth are usually not good. I think a lot of this is genetic.

by Anonymousreply 263August 16, 2019 6:41 PM

r248, then add in the Russian influence and Tories wanting to suck more money out of the poor unhindered by EU mandates.

by Anonymousreply 264August 16, 2019 6:44 PM

[QUOTE] Notice that we don't complain about UK English despite its irrelevance compared to American English.

Of course you don't complain. You would still be communicating in grunts and whistles if not for the ENGLISH language.

🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

by Anonymousreply 265August 16, 2019 6:45 PM

We used to be European but now we're just fug Brits...

by Anonymousreply 266August 16, 2019 6:46 PM

r265 Je ne pense pas.

by Anonymousreply 267August 16, 2019 6:48 PM

Typical. Rod up his ass entitled british asshole, telling the rest of the world how to do shit, when he Doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. Takeaway instead of takeout? Who the fuck do you think you are asshole? When it comes to our trashy lifestyle, WE define the terms, you sadsack limey.

I swear to God, the nerve.

by Anonymousreply 268August 16, 2019 6:49 PM

When I was at the embassy in Afghanistan my dept was joint force (multi national) staffed. I can attest there were no individuals more insipid to work with than the British !! With the Aussie's a very close second. I actually liked my position but their insufferable 'know it all' manner combined with their unbridled arrogance made the job extremely difficult. Going in was a dread! NOT because I was in Afghanistan, but because of dealing with those belligerent morons.

by Anonymousreply 269August 16, 2019 6:53 PM

R268, you are a mental case. Get help before you hurt someone.

by Anonymousreply 270August 16, 2019 6:53 PM

Now, now, r240. They can't help it. Decades of gnawing open Spam tins can wreak havoc on one's teeth.

Now why they continue to eat Spam 75 years after the War is still a mystery.

by Anonymousreply 271August 16, 2019 6:53 PM

r271, a lack of tin openers is a valid theory for unfortunate British dentition.

by Anonymousreply 272August 16, 2019 7:00 PM

[quote] including rather a lot of Americans, especially the ones who live in trailers

I believe you have these as well in the UK, called 'caravan' parks. Same class problems.

From a country that brought us The Only Way is Essex, Love Island and Simon Cowell.

by Anonymousreply 273August 16, 2019 7:06 PM

[quote] including rather a lot of Americans, especially the ones who live in trailers I believe you have these as well in the UK, called 'caravan' parks. Same class problems.

The Brits don't put their poor in trailers. They stack them high in tower blocks. I watch Shameless. I know of what I speak.

by Anonymousreply 274August 16, 2019 7:26 PM

r274, Grenfell Tower was like a British Cabrini Green.

by Anonymousreply 275August 16, 2019 7:28 PM

[quote]Grenfell Tower was like a British Cabrini Green.

Was Cabrini Green where Florida smashed the punch bowl and said the "D" word 5 times and then left the show that they had created for her to star in?

by Anonymousreply 276August 16, 2019 7:31 PM

Florida was a character who lived in an apartment set in Cabrini Green.

by Anonymousreply 277August 16, 2019 7:34 PM

[quote]Florida was a character who lived in an apartment set in Cabrini Green.

Why would she live on a set? Was she too poor to afford a real apartment? Did she have to live on the street while they used the set to film?

by Anonymousreply 278August 16, 2019 7:36 PM

To be completely accurate, Florida only screamed damn 3 times before smashing the punch bowl, after James died. It was "damn Damn DAMN!".

by Anonymousreply 279August 16, 2019 7:55 PM

Who the hell puts their dirty frying pan on top of the refrigerator?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280August 16, 2019 8:00 PM

Did Florida put a paper plate in the sink, beginning at 00:13?

by Anonymousreply 281August 16, 2019 8:02 PM

'Now we're up in the big leagues, getting our turn at bat', Oh wait! Wrong show.. Never mind.

by Anonymousreply 282August 16, 2019 8:03 PM

R233 Or a bitchy gay American with high pitched vocal fry

by Anonymousreply 283August 16, 2019 8:35 PM

Dental care is not only more prevalent and applied earlier in life in the US, dentistry as a professional path is more valued and highly paid there than in the UK I believe.

Used to be it was every American mother's dream to see her son/daughter become either a doctor or a dentist. It's still a fairly high paid profession here, there are dental private and group practice offices in every middle- and upper-class suburban town in the US, usually several to choose from. And they are always busy.

by Anonymousreply 284August 16, 2019 8:38 PM

My Scottish grandmother spoke with a thick brogue when she moved to the U.S. after the Second World War. It never left her. Sometimes waiters would ask what language she was speaking. We had to quickly change the subject, otherwise she would scold. "We INVENTED the language."

by Anonymousreply 285August 16, 2019 8:46 PM

R111 You Americans also have ten tonnes of blubber between you.

by Anonymousreply 286August 16, 2019 9:04 PM

Have the Brits looked in the mirror lately?

by Anonymousreply 287August 16, 2019 9:24 PM

R122 This coming from the tangerine lard-arses who call sex "making whoopee"

by Anonymousreply 288August 16, 2019 9:30 PM

Cole Porter, who was not fat or orange, might have said that back in the 1920’s. Both the Americans and Brits are stuck in a time warp today.

by Anonymousreply 289August 16, 2019 9:35 PM

R242 “You don't leave the house with your hair all fucked up, or your clothes. You don't walk around with half of your lunch smudged around your mouth.”

I beg your pardon!

by Anonymousreply 290August 16, 2019 10:48 PM

So many anti-American English wankers on this thread. They'd be speaking German now if not for American intervention in two world wars. It might have been generations ago but you fuckers should be eternally grateful for that alone.

by Anonymousreply 291August 16, 2019 11:28 PM

Looking forward to Scottish independence and the reestablishment of Scottish Celt.

by Anonymousreply 292August 16, 2019 11:30 PM

Well honestly, we can hardly keep bringing up the old "you'd be speaking German if it wasn't for us" to the current generation of Brits. None of them were around in those days to appreciate that statement, or really to even understand it. And besides, The Australians and Canadians had a lot to do with keeping England safe, at least during WWII.

by Anonymousreply 293August 17, 2019 12:09 AM

The Australians and the Canadians have been relying on the United States for their defense since the 1940's.

by Anonymousreply 294August 17, 2019 12:22 AM

Everyone the world over would still be listening to zithers and bagpipes and yodeling on glens if it weren’t for American Rock n Roll imperialism!!

by Anonymousreply 295August 17, 2019 12:31 AM

Please tell me that the British do not say the word "literally" as much as Americans do. That words literally makes me crestfallen.

by Anonymousreply 296August 17, 2019 12:59 AM

"I believe these are meant to refer to supposed Americanisms being used in Britain by British people,"

So basically it's a reverse Madonna.

How insidious!

by Anonymousreply 297August 17, 2019 1:25 AM

It seems a bit strange that someone would start a thread about the British not being able to "bloody" stand what Americans are doing with language - and then get all angry and defensive if Americans either defend themselves or counter that there are "Britishisms" that they can't stand either. Just a bloody troll?

by Anonymousreply 298August 17, 2019 11:17 AM

It takes very little to get people worked up.

by Anonymousreply 299August 17, 2019 11:37 AM

I noticed that in the initial coverage of Jeffrey Epstein's death, the New Yokr TIMES used the inccorrect "hung" himself, whilst the TIMES of London used the correct "hanged". Grammar generally in the English speaking world is deteriorating rapidly, but American newscasters seem determined to see its demise hastened. The uniquitous "myself" for "me", and "yourself" for make me want to commit murder.

Unwary Yanks should also beware of uttering one of their oft-used terms of admiration for a woman of spirit: "spunk".

It's not only somewhat juvenile, it's obscene in Britain and has generated quite a few wry laughs.

by Anonymousreply 300August 17, 2019 11:47 AM

^*New YORK TIMES

R300

by Anonymousreply 301August 17, 2019 11:48 AM

^^*incorrect

(too much wine with lunch)

by Anonymousreply 302August 17, 2019 11:49 AM

^^^*iniquitous

(way, way, wayyyy too much wine with lunch)

R300

by Anonymousreply 303August 17, 2019 11:50 AM

OP didn't write this!

Nearly 300 replies and no one realized it was an article that was simply pasted over here, apparently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304August 17, 2019 12:00 PM

Wrong, r304, several people noticed and commented about that.

by Anonymousreply 305August 17, 2019 12:39 PM

[quote] Unwary Yanks should also beware

Rather ridiculous for a Brit to call a Yank "juvenile" when 10% of their language is cutesy baby talk nicknames for things - brekkie - bikkie - elevenses - lolly - sweeties - I could go on and on (and so could you.)

And if being laughed at by Brits, or anybody else, is something to "beware of" - then I'd suggest psychiatric care. There's hilarity on all sides, 27/7 (as we say over here in the sticks)

by Anonymousreply 306August 17, 2019 12:50 PM

*24/7 - bet that mistake has you laughing your arse off. It must be nice to be so easily amused (or not so nice to be so easily annoyed?)

Is it true that Brits love moaning? That's the scuttlebutt.

by Anonymousreply 307August 17, 2019 12:52 PM

[R299] One of DL’s many charms is that people get worked up about things no one else in RL has even noticed.

by Anonymousreply 308August 17, 2019 12:55 PM

The final course of a multi-course meal is the "dessert course"... it's not a fucking pudding course. How stupid does THAT sound?

It's dessert. Don't say 'pudding' unless you mean 'pudding', which is a TYPE of dessert.

by Anonymousreply 309August 17, 2019 10:54 PM

[quote]The Australians and the Canadians have been relying on the United States for their defense since the 1940's.

America is responsible for the defence of Australia? What does America get out of the deal? All Australia is known for is mutton and Olivia Newton John.

by Anonymousreply 310August 17, 2019 11:03 PM

[quote] It's dessert. Don't say 'pudding' unless you mean 'pudding', which is a TYPE of dessert.

Not in the UK you pig ignorant, arrogant moron.

Look it up. There’s these handy books called DICTIONARIES which tell you what words mean. Find one, look up “pudding” and you’ll see that it means a sweet dish that follows the main meal.

That you lot genuinely think you are the centre of the fucking planet never, ever ceases to amaze me.

by Anonymousreply 311August 17, 2019 11:22 PM

English puddings are all the same: Some type of "sponge", berries and cream. Whipping the cream is optional.

Yet the Brits seem to think this is some great accomplishment. LOL

by Anonymousreply 312August 17, 2019 11:40 PM

[quote] Unwary Yanks should also beware of uttering one of their oft-used terms of admiration for a woman of spirit: "spunk".

I'm on your side

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313August 18, 2019 2:09 AM

[quote]The final course of a multi-course meal is the "dessert course".

Ahem...

A cheese course, served with or without Port (depending on the soup), may be served before or after dessert.

The Mignardise and Demitasse come after all other courses.

by Anonymousreply 314August 18, 2019 2:32 AM

Brits call tic-tac-toe CROSSES AND NAUGHTS. Crosses and naughts, mothafucka????

by Anonymousreply 315August 18, 2019 3:06 AM

The British way of pronouncing "aluminum" is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 316August 18, 2019 4:03 AM

r316 Why? They spell it "aluminium" so it should be pronounced that way. And doesn't that sound like a more typical name for an element?

by Anonymousreply 317August 18, 2019 4:24 AM

[quote]Brits call tic-tac-toe CROSSES AND NAUGHTS. Crosses and naughts, mothafucka????

And checkers are draughts, I believe.

Chutes and Ladders = Snakes and Ladders

Clue = Cluedo

by Anonymousreply 318August 18, 2019 4:25 AM

r317, like Wolfram or Tungstangiam...

Idiot

by Anonymousreply 319August 18, 2019 4:26 AM

r319

Chromium

Sodium

Potassium

Vanadium

etc.

There are a lot more -iums than -ums.

by Anonymousreply 320August 18, 2019 4:31 AM

They don't even drive on the right side of the road!

What they think about how we express ourselves in OUR language is of no significance.

by Anonymousreply 321August 18, 2019 4:36 AM

Just looked it up:

"a dessert with a creamy consistency."

Yup. Exactly. It's A dessert. It is not EVERY dessert. It's a specific one.

There is nothing more STUPID sounding that someone saying they want "pudding" and then eating pie or cake. I mean, what the FUCK is wrong with you? It's as assinine as saying "I want eggs" and then eating cold cereal or pancakes.

by Anonymousreply 322August 18, 2019 6:10 AM

R219's comment is spot on. We never import British expressions. We also never import British pop music or British television shows.

by Anonymousreply 323August 18, 2019 7:30 AM

R323, not anywhere near the level that they, and the rest of the world imports American ones.

by Anonymousreply 324August 18, 2019 10:17 AM

[quote]We also never import British pop music or British television shows.

Ever heard of BBC America? Downton Abbey? Sherlock?

The Office, Veep, Shameless, American Idol and X-Factor are all remakes of British shows.

DL'ers are always discussing "Absolutely Fabulous" and "Keeping Up Appearances." "Broadchurch," "Prime Suspect," and "Happy Valley" were also popular here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325August 18, 2019 12:00 PM

30 of your Britishisms used by Americans:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326August 18, 2019 12:02 PM

R323 -- Hello?

by Anonymousreply 327August 18, 2019 12:12 PM

Things are so bad in Britain, British actors move in droves to L.A. or New York, try their damnedest to imitate American accents and steal jobs away from American actors.

by Anonymousreply 328August 18, 2019 12:57 PM

That article is full of lies, R326. No American says chav, frock, flat, skint or innit.

by Anonymousreply 329August 18, 2019 1:00 PM

I don’t mind Americanisms. In fact, I quite like some of them and find them expressive and amusing. I do cringe however when, as is increasingly common, clueless, credulous Brits use them without even knowing their derivations. I’ll hear, for example, some moron British TV presenter talk about ‘stepping up to the plate’ and, coming from them, it’s a monstrous affectation, whereas I’m fine when an American says it. The other thing I find improper, as an English person, is being told that I speak British-English. Do we tell French people that they speak French-French (as opposed to Canadian French?). No, we tell them that they speak French. I am English, I speak English, and I do not appreciate being told I speak some obscure variant of English.

by Anonymousreply 330August 18, 2019 1:09 PM

[quote]That article is full of lies, [R326]. No American says chav, frock, flat, skint or innit.

I agree. I've never heard an American use those terms.

by Anonymousreply 331August 18, 2019 2:44 PM

The only word on r326's list I've ever used is "autumn." In my mind, I mock anyone who uses "bum," roll my eyes (internally) when I read "cheers" in an email, and I do not fancy "fancy."

by Anonymousreply 332August 18, 2019 3:09 PM

r326 r331 Americans say "frock," but none of the other ones on your list.

by Anonymousreply 333August 18, 2019 3:18 PM

[quote]The Office, Veep, Shameless, American Idol and X-Factor are all remakes of British shows.

Not to mention All In the Family, Three's Company, Sanford and Son, et. al.

by Anonymousreply 334August 18, 2019 3:19 PM

Yes, but we did it better.

by Anonymousreply 335August 18, 2019 3:41 PM

It has appeared for many years that most all newspapers have reduced their staffs just to survive, and hired young and unpolished writers to replace most of the old timers who knew their stuff. I don't even think most newspapers (and many magazines) even have people who hand type their articles anymore. It appears they're all using some sort of speech to text systems which results in the huge number of mistypes and syntax errors in articles because people aren't proofreading their output any longer. It is embarrassing to see how poorly written articles are these days, even in the biggest newspapers in the country. It's like they have brought in middle school kids to write articles.

by Anonymousreply 336August 18, 2019 4:18 PM

R325, R327: I was being sarcastic. I thought using "spot on" and then saying we don't import British expressions was a clue, but it seems I failed.

by Anonymousreply 337August 19, 2019 9:12 AM

R330, there's nothing obscure about British English, but it's quite reasonable and necessary to distinguish between the versions of English spoken in different countries.

by Anonymousreply 338August 19, 2019 9:15 AM

r338, so true or you end up with the wrong spotted dick in your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 339August 19, 2019 9:33 AM

R338 So do you refer to the language spoken in Portugal as Portuguese-Portuguese so as to distinguish it from the version spoken in Brazil? The language spoken in England should be known as English. No prefix necessary, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 340August 19, 2019 10:03 AM

They may have invented it, but Great Britain does not own the language. For anyone there to get pissy because other English speaking countries change a few things around to suit them is outlandish. Of course it's just another of the many things people all over the world do to make themselves appear superior.

by Anonymousreply 341August 19, 2019 11:17 AM

No r337, we saw it, but it was lame, so to save you embarrassment we ignored it.

by Anonymousreply 342August 19, 2019 11:43 AM

R340 if you don't like it, change it. If you can't change it, get over it, ya little bitch.

by Anonymousreply 343August 19, 2019 11:46 AM

R340 if you don't like it, change it. If you can't change it, get over it, ya little bitch.

by Anonymousreply 344August 19, 2019 11:46 AM

You don't see the French whining about the different varieties of their language spoken in Montreal and even by Cajuns in Louisiana. You don't see the Portuguese whining about the different variety of their language spoken in Brazil. Ergo, the British need to stop being such elitist whiney babies.

by Anonymousreply 345August 19, 2019 12:00 PM

They may not be whining, R345, but they make fun of them instead. Is that so much better?

by Anonymousreply 346August 19, 2019 12:07 PM

R346 how is this thread any different?

At least they stick to making fun at home instead of whining like little bitches online, playing the fool in front of the entire world.

by Anonymousreply 347August 19, 2019 1:39 PM

I learned English at school in the Netherlands back in the 1990s, where we were taught that US English was an "aberration."

by Anonymousreply 348August 19, 2019 1:47 PM

R323 was obviously being sarcastic, you bunch of mongos.

by Anonymousreply 349August 19, 2019 1:59 PM

r345, the French have an entire bureaucracy to protect the French Language.

by Anonymousreply 350August 19, 2019 2:14 PM

Are spotted dicks infected by the French Pox?

by Anonymousreply 351August 19, 2019 4:16 PM

[quote] the French have an entire bureaucracy to protect the French Language.

Well it doesn't seem to be very successful, what with all the variations of the language around the world. I dare say most Parisians would never be able to understand their own language spoken by people in Cameroon or The Congo where the national language is French.

by Anonymousreply 352August 19, 2019 5:01 PM

The French have jurisdiction over French spoken in France. All others are not considered true French. And yes, they are very protective of every unspoken consonant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353August 19, 2019 7:20 PM

No one wants to be like the French.

by Anonymousreply 354August 20, 2019 3:30 AM

R340: No, I call it European Portuguese to distinguish it from Brazilian Portuguese. That’s standard usage. Would you be happier with “European English”?

by Anonymousreply 355August 20, 2019 5:28 AM

R340 you may call it European Portuguese but it’s commonly known as Portuguese. There is no need for a modifying prefix when you refer to the standard version of a language. There is no British English. There is English, American-English, Australian-English and so forth.

by Anonymousreply 356August 20, 2019 9:04 AM

But there isn't just one English accent in England itself - so I'm still confused. Unless you only mean by English "RP"?

by Anonymousreply 357August 20, 2019 9:55 AM

R357 We’re not talking about accents, we’re talking about languages - very different. We’re talking about the fact that no other country is expected to endure the indignity of being told they speak a ‘version’ of their own language. Of course, countries that don’t have languages need modifiers, hence American-English. But there is no French-French or European-French. There is no German-German or European-German.

by Anonymousreply 358August 20, 2019 12:39 PM

OK - so I can keep saying British-English when I mean English spoken with a BRITISH accent - because that's what I mean.

I think only colloquially is there an "American English" (other than accent) since the languages are the same. Dictionaries say something like "American usage" or in the US, ours will say "chiefly British usage" or something like that.

We're just trying to use words to make things clear. Who gives a fuck if somebody's weedle feewings are hurt?

Wasn't English derived from German? So why the fuck don't you call it British German, if you want to be so damned touchy about everything?

by Anonymousreply 359August 20, 2019 1:08 PM

It is fine to say "British English," r359. Don't let the pudding prats suggest it's anything other than brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 360August 20, 2019 1:12 PM

R360 -. There is no British English and using that term makes someone sound as provincial as when he or she says ‘Paris, France’.

by Anonymousreply 361August 20, 2019 1:15 PM

It would only be like saying "Paris, France" in England, Britain, r361. In the US, we [italic]need[/italic] that bit of "provincial" at times. How on earth do we explain your "pudding" concept otherwise, for example?

by Anonymousreply 362August 20, 2019 1:23 PM

‘Pudding’ concept? I missed that bit. Pudding is simply the unpretentious synonym for ‘dessert’, that rather smarmy, self-conscious, aspirational word. See also ‘sweet’ and ‘afters’.

by Anonymousreply 363August 20, 2019 1:50 PM

[quote]Pudding is simply the unpretentious synonym for ‘dessert’

No, pudding is simply pudding. Cake is simply cake. Pie is simply pie. And so forth.

by Anonymousreply 364August 20, 2019 1:52 PM

In America, that is true R364. But not in the UK. Don't you understand that countries can use words differently sometimes?

I think they might use "custard" to mean what you always mean when you say "pudding" (but they don't mean what you mean at all - and never did)

by Anonymousreply 365August 20, 2019 1:54 PM

Of course I [italic]understand[/italic] it, r365. How else would I know enough to mock it?

by Anonymousreply 366August 20, 2019 1:57 PM

Mocking it would be ridiculous if you really understood it.

by Anonymousreply 367August 20, 2019 2:26 PM

Eat me, r367.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368August 20, 2019 3:25 PM

The Pudding Troll needs to relax.

by Anonymousreply 369August 20, 2019 9:45 PM

It is ironic that people want the pudding troll to have a thick skin.....HAHAHAHA

by Anonymousreply 370August 20, 2019 10:05 PM

No, the way Brits use "pudding" is a true abomination. They need to get over their hatred of the French and start saying "dessert".

by Anonymousreply 371August 20, 2019 10:35 PM

Petrol is liquid, not a gas, and your fanny is in the front!!!

by Anonymousreply 372August 20, 2019 11:50 PM

A public school is England is an expensive private school that's difficult to get into. Makes sense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373August 21, 2019 12:05 AM

[quote]Petrol is liquid, not a gas, and your fanny is in the front!!!

Petroleum gasoline is a liquid no matter how you abbreviate it.

Calling a cunt a fanny is England specific.

by Anonymousreply 374August 21, 2019 12:59 AM

"no other country is expected to endure the indignity of being told they speak a ‘version’ of their own language."

Too bad numbnuts. Consider it payback for the rampant colonization.

by Anonymousreply 375August 21, 2019 9:32 AM

R358, what are you talking about? Of the top of my head Spain, Germany, and Portugal all speak "a version of their own language."

by Anonymousreply 376August 21, 2019 12:42 PM

"20. I’m a Brit living in New York. The one that always gets me is the American need to use the word bi-weekly when fortnightly would suffice just fine. "

I never heard an actual person say this, but when I read the word in 19th century novels, I always thought "fortnightly" meant "monthly."

by Anonymousreply 377August 21, 2019 12:43 PM

R234, to most of us the terms cooker, kiddies, prezzie, brekkie, elevenses, gobsmacked, sticky wicket, fairy cakes, and jacket potatoes do indeed sound like baby talk.

The adult terms would be stove, kids or children, present, breakfast, break, shocked, difficulty, cupcake, and baked potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 378August 21, 2019 12:58 PM

"Can I get a" is hardly 90s talk. Been around forever. That one I must defend right off the bat (probably an annoying Americanism in itself).

And thank you, R378 - EWWW those terms. I'm sure someone in the thread has mentioned the tabloid terms "loved up," "heavily pregnant," "summer of emotion" etc. Oh, and "hols."

I do love "incandescent with rage," though.

by Anonymousreply 379August 21, 2019 1:12 PM

Perhaps you missed the memo, R356 but because of the size of the population and the greater amount of writing/media coming out of the country, American English has become the standard version of the language.

So the modifier "American" is not necessary. But "British" is needed to describe how the language as it is spoken over there.

I am surprised you did not notice this change. But I guess it is like France still believing it is one of the superpowers.

by Anonymousreply 380August 21, 2019 1:13 PM

R373, Yeah, can someone explain why it's called a public school?

by Anonymousreply 381August 21, 2019 1:13 PM

I bet Quebecois use the term "French French" sometimes - to distinguish it from their own version. What the hell else are you supposed to say: "French spoken by someone who is from France" - what a fuckin' nightmare. The easiest way is French French. Because to them, in their everyday life in Quebec, French means the language THEY speak.

by Anonymousreply 382August 21, 2019 1:24 PM

R380 As if a language that revels in the unadulterated barbarism of words like ‘gotten’ could ever be the official anything.

by Anonymousreply 383August 21, 2019 4:21 PM

R376 comprehension issues at your end, I’m afraid. Of course those countries speak their respective languages. The point, quite clearly made, is that they are not told by jumped up fools that the names of their languages require modifying prefixes.

by Anonymousreply 384August 21, 2019 4:25 PM

R384, oh yes they do get told that. If you do business internationally this comes up. Did you have trouble understanding what I wrote?

by Anonymousreply 385August 21, 2019 4:34 PM

If you want to hear the difference between French-French and Canadian-Frenach, ask them to translate the sentence:

I paid a Euro for the 80 cent pen and got 20 cents in return.

by Anonymousreply 386August 21, 2019 6:01 PM

R385 Ok, they get told that - but only by people indifferent’/ to how gauche and impertinent they’re being.

by Anonymousreply 387August 21, 2019 7:00 PM

Get over it r387. American English is now, has been, and will be the world standard. Britain is irrelevant now, and that's not going to change.

by Anonymousreply 388August 21, 2019 7:46 PM

R388 I don’t actually dislike American. At one end, it’s a fun, simple, slang-based lingo that anyone can master. And at the other, to sound clever, instead of reaching for the right word, you simply use more of them (eg ‘preconceived notion’ instead of ‘preconception’). Britain may be irrelevant (I’m not some dipshit nationalist, so that’s not an insult to me and using it simply reveals your own paltriness and lack of substance) but it will always have the more elevated version of the language.

by Anonymousreply 389August 21, 2019 9:11 PM

OK, OP, number 14 reminded my of something I hear repeated by Brits: what do they mean when they say the time is”half six”? Is it three, or 5:30 or 6:30 or something else? This expression isn’t used this way in the US. So what does it mean?

by Anonymousreply 390August 21, 2019 9:22 PM

[quote]"Can I get a" is hardly 90s talk. Been around forever. That one I must defend right off the bat (probably an annoying Americanism in itself).

It's been used by Gay(e)s for decades!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391August 21, 2019 9:31 PM

[quote]"Can I get a" is hardly 90s talk. Been around forever. That one I must defend right off the bat (probably an annoying Americanism in itself).

It's been used by Gay(e)s for decades!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392August 21, 2019 9:31 PM

Those of you who say that American English has become standard don't get out much. Because of the vast reach of the former British empire, British English is standard just about everywhere -- at least in terms of spelling and pronunciation. It's what's still taught in most of the world. (And I'm an American, by the way.)

by Anonymousreply 393August 21, 2019 9:35 PM

R393 Hollywood and American pop culture have a greater reach than the former British empire, R393. Also, all the foreign English teachers I've met are American.

by Anonymousreply 394August 21, 2019 9:44 PM

R371 then why did they adopt the french spelling of 'theatre.' (théâtre). The original Germanic spelling is 'theater.' They still spell it like that in Germany and the Netherlands.

by Anonymousreply 395August 21, 2019 10:11 PM

Well, I guess it's selective discrimination against words with French roots, R395, because they use plenty of them. I don't know much about this subject. I first heard that Brits say "pudding" instead of "dessert" on a Joel and Lia video several months ago. I had no idea. A Brit on another thread said that certain words with French roots like "dessert" and "toilet" are considered lower class, while upper classes say "pudding" and "loo". As I said before, Nigella Lawson has a "pudding" section in the index of her "How to Eat" cookbook, but no "dessert" section.

by Anonymousreply 396August 21, 2019 11:47 PM

What’s for afters?

by Anonymousreply 397August 22, 2019 1:25 AM

How long ago did the British finally change their definition of "billion" to match up with ours? They used to call it "a thousand million."

by Anonymousreply 398August 22, 2019 2:01 AM

"using it simply reveals your own paltriness and lack of substance)"

Nope just facts.

That statement quoted proves the one right before it to be untrue.

by Anonymousreply 399August 22, 2019 4:37 AM

R399 not at all. I can be unfazed by an insult while still observing what it tells me about the person using it.

by Anonymousreply 400August 22, 2019 6:16 AM

You seem fun, OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401August 22, 2019 6:43 AM

R400 the only person you're fooling is yourself. And probably not even her.

by Anonymousreply 402August 22, 2019 11:24 AM

R402 That would be meaningful if you had sound judgment

by Anonymousreply 403August 22, 2019 11:42 AM

Keep on telling yourself that r403, eventually you'll believe it.

by Anonymousreply 404August 22, 2019 1:23 PM

R404 Your preoccupation with me (and what you imagine I think) is rather menacing.

by Anonymousreply 405August 22, 2019 2:16 PM

R254

Va te faire foutre, connard!

Et pan!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406August 23, 2019 3:06 AM

R405 you seem like the type of pussy who finds a lot of things menacing.

by Anonymousreply 407August 23, 2019 8:36 AM

R407 What a surprise. Boorish, recycled insults every time. Your brain is dull.

by Anonymousreply 408August 23, 2019 10:41 AM

Excusez-moi R254.

C'était pour le R354.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 409August 23, 2019 11:08 AM

Keep trembling under your bed in your mom's basement r408! Wouldn't want you to feel "menaced!" 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 410August 23, 2019 11:51 AM

R410 Find a new obsession. I’m not flattered by your interest in me.

by Anonymousreply 411August 23, 2019 12:06 PM

No interest r411, just morbid curiosity. I like my men with IQs in the triple digits, so that excludes you.

by Anonymousreply 412August 23, 2019 12:41 PM

R412 You clearly haven’t had an original thought or an unborrowed opinion in your life.

by Anonymousreply 413August 23, 2019 7:53 PM

And yet you still choose to devote all this time engaging with me r413. That makes you not only pathetic by my definition, but by your own.

by Anonymousreply 414August 23, 2019 10:16 PM

[quote] [R132], Half of those examples are not remotely what you're describing as 'baby talk'. And some that are said, like, 'Prezzies' and 'Kiddies' are meant to be taken as humorous and playful not remotely serious. God what a insufferable bore you must be

I guess your idea of an insufferable bore is an adult. It's hot out. Go get yourself an iced lolly. Or a green drink? Maybe a sweet treat?

by Anonymousreply 415August 24, 2019 3:04 AM

Love Love Love

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 416August 24, 2019 3:08 AM

R414 ‘All this time”? It takes me about ten seconds to type a one-para message. Clearly, it takes you a long time, so you’ve assumed the same is true of me. And ‘devoting’? If you think this amounts to devotion, you need to get out more. Perhaps after you’ve spent an hour writing two lines, you should have a break and go outside.

by Anonymousreply 417August 24, 2019 8:58 AM

And that's more seconds you've spent on someone you claim is not worth your time, more time you've spent thinking about me. You're to stupid and pathetic to even realize how stupid and pathetic you are, but you're the only one in this thread who doesn't realize it.

by Anonymousreply 418August 24, 2019 10:26 AM

*Too

by Anonymousreply 419August 24, 2019 10:29 AM

R419 - You felt it necessary to correct your solecism and make it clear you were correcting yourself, so it didn’t look as if you were being corrected by someone else. So brittle, so insecure!

by Anonymousreply 420August 24, 2019 10:48 AM

R420 your obsession with me is HILARIOUS! I'll bet you dream of me at night.

by Anonymousreply 421August 24, 2019 10:56 AM

Girls, girls! You’re both boring.

by Anonymousreply 422August 24, 2019 11:11 AM

R421 isn’t merely boring but also a functioning sub-literate with no imagination.

by Anonymousreply 423August 24, 2019 12:07 PM

I like how you girls are vicious with each other. I'd bet the sex between you two would be WILD!

by Anonymousreply 424August 24, 2019 1:26 PM

[quote]European Portuguese to distinguish it from Brazilian Portuguese

"Continent" "Language" <-- this is how you say it?

Shouldn't it be European Portuguese vs. South American Portuguese then?

Otherwise you would have to say Portuguese Portuguese vs. Brazilian Portuguese.

by Anonymousreply 425August 24, 2019 1:42 PM

R423 has the IQ of a potato, and shares its shape, while still being the least attractive of the two. She loves throwing the "no imagination" insult, but has said nothing imaginative or original herself. Not once.

by Anonymousreply 426August 24, 2019 5:33 PM

And this is why the British and Americans can never be true friends. Whereas Canada, Australia, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and New Zealand tend to have inferiority complexes, especially when it comes to the English, the US doesn't feel that way at all. In fact, the US feels superior to the UK (and everyone else). On the other hand, the UK is stuck in between. They used to be the top dog 100 years ago, but now they're second-fiddle to the US and even further down the list in the world at large. In short, it's the classic story of the progeny outdoing the parent and the has-been parent resenting it.

by Anonymousreply 427August 24, 2019 6:09 PM

The DL obsession with Spotted Dick is hilarious. You'd think we were eating it every day or something. I've lived in the UK for 38 years and haven't seen or heard of Spotted Dick since I was at school. I doubt any Brit under the age of 30 would even know what it is.

by Anonymousreply 428August 24, 2019 6:17 PM

Doesn't matter r428, it's an eternal blight on the already bad British culinary reputation.

by Anonymousreply 429August 24, 2019 6:21 PM

[quote]The DL obsession with Spotted Dick is hilarious.

That's because the name "spotted dick" is hilarious. I assume "dick" means the same thing in Britain as it does in North America, ie "penis".

by Anonymousreply 430August 24, 2019 6:25 PM

[quote]And this is why the British and Americans can never be true friends. Whereas Canada, Australia, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and New Zealand tend to have inferiority complexes, especially when it comes to the English, the US doesn't feel that way at all. In fact, the US feels superior to the UK

You're in a terrible muddle.

by Anonymousreply 431August 24, 2019 6:28 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 432August 24, 2019 6:32 PM

R430 I believe 'dick' is an Americanism that has been imported into Britain, but Spotted Dick's demise is probably as much to do with the unhealthiness of suet puddings as the sniggers at its name.

by Anonymousreply 433August 24, 2019 6:53 PM

[quote]haven't seen or heard of Spotted Dick since I was at school.

I see what you have done here.

by Anonymousreply 434August 24, 2019 7:15 PM

R433, that's probably the only reason American DLers keep mentioning "spotted dick" - because of the obscene innuendo. They don't care if you eat it anymore or not.

by Anonymousreply 435August 24, 2019 10:10 PM

r432=Moron

by Anonymousreply 436August 25, 2019 2:56 AM

Do they call it sauce, or gravy? Do they sauce the pasta in the pot or drain the pasta?

by Anonymousreply 437August 25, 2019 12:05 PM

Both of you bickering back and forth are cunts.

by Anonymousreply 438August 25, 2019 5:08 PM

R426 hasn’t learned that vulgarity/scatology is only entertaining when it’s expressed with panache or good turns of phrase. We already know his vocab is sub-normal. I’m guessing, and I mean this so, so kindly, that he’s some unfuckable gargoyle who isn’t from a capital city. In other circumstances, I’d extend him my pity.

by Anonymousreply 439August 25, 2019 6:25 PM

These two are like watching a chameleon staring in a mirror.

by Anonymousreply 440August 25, 2019 6:27 PM

I hate when Brits say, "We try to eat healthily"

Why are they all so twee?

by Anonymousreply 441August 25, 2019 6:34 PM

"Someone has a soggy bottom!!!'

*giggles*

by Anonymousreply 442August 25, 2019 7:26 PM

"We already know his vocab is sub-normal."

Oh the irony.

You remain unintelligent, unimaginative, and hypocritically unoriginal.

by Anonymousreply 443August 25, 2019 7:29 PM

R443 thinks he knows what irony means! It’s almost touching. Even more darling is his slightly deranged habit of using sock-puppets to WW himself. Could it be Jessica Yaniv joining us here?

by Anonymousreply 444August 25, 2019 7:53 PM

R444 thinks that if she hyphenates words that are not supposed to be hyphenated, she'll fool someone into not realizing that she is developmentally disabled.

by Anonymousreply 445August 25, 2019 8:08 PM

R445 Such zingers! You’re on fire. Why, there’s no one brighter than you in the whole, wide world.

by Anonymousreply 446August 25, 2019 8:20 PM

There are, r446.

You're just not one of them.

by Anonymousreply 447August 25, 2019 8:41 PM

R447 - I’m aware of that. I was deeply impressed that when I questioned your literacy/vocab, you immediately replied by shoehorning a series of polysyllabic words into your responses (‘hypocritically, developmentally’). Someone else might say that made you come over as rather touchy and brittle. I say it’s a sure sign of your mastery of language! Well done.

by Anonymousreply 448August 26, 2019 12:37 PM

I'm not surprised that you're impressed, touchy? No, I've worked with developmentally disabled adults as a care giver, and I recognize that you too suffer that disability.

by Anonymousreply 449August 26, 2019 2:35 PM

r441, having respect for the adverb is not twee.

It is good grammar.

by Anonymousreply 450August 26, 2019 5:05 PM

I dislike it when American women talk about their 'girlfriend', when they just mean their friend. Also, 'roommate' to mean someone who shares a dwelling, but not a room with you.

by Anonymousreply 451August 27, 2019 12:23 AM

'Person of Color' abbreviated to PoC - I get that there are many sensitivities surrounding this term and other terms like it, quite reasonably, but it's just somehow so awkward and ungainly. What was wrong with 'minority' or 'minority ethnic'?

by Anonymousreply 452August 27, 2019 12:41 AM

R452 I think the DL preferred term is "coloured".

by Anonymousreply 453August 27, 2019 5:03 AM

R449 “I'm not surprised that you're impressed, touchy?” - Is that meant to be a question? You compose a sentence like that and then question someone else’s developmental issues! It slightly alarms me that, having supposedly worked as a caregiver for the developmentally disabled, you think their plight is something to mock and make fun of. You have a very diminished capacity for empathy, which makes you a danger in that profession. I dread to think what you did to patients when your supervisor’s back was turned. I’ve read all about elder abuse and so on.

by Anonymousreply 454August 27, 2019 4:10 PM

That would make sense if I were mocking their plight rather than YOURS.

I imagine a lot of thing slightly "alarm" you. You seem like a pussy.

by Anonymousreply 455August 27, 2019 4:41 PM

^^ Which one is the top? Or are they just gonna bump pussies?

by Anonymousreply 456August 27, 2019 11:01 PM

[quote] Except, [R219], we appropriated their language.

To "appropriate" it would mean that we did not have that language and somehow TOOK it from them, when it was in fact people from their own country who settled this nation, using their own language (and one they had every right to use when they emigrated and they had every right to pass on to their descendants). Over time, they and their descendants changed it just as those who stayed in the UK changed their own use of English. (You should note, for example, that historical linguists agree that the Appalachian accent in the USA today is in fact much closer to what the English and their colonists actually sounded like in Shakespeare's and King James I's time than anything used today in the United Kingdom.)

The English language belongs every bit as much to we in the United States (and to the Canadians, and to the Australians, and to the New Zealanders, and to the Jamaicans, etc.) as it does to the British. The Brits's language choices are no more "pure" than ours in the United States are (especially given that English is famously one of the most mongrelized of all world languages, and borrows widely from old French, old German, old Scandinavian languages, Latin, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 457August 27, 2019 11:15 PM

R455 Even your tired, recycled insults are misogynistic. It would require rhetorical skills far greater than yours to wriggle out of the fact that, despite working as a ‘caregiver’ for the developmentally disabled, you consider developmental disability grounds for mockery and contempt. We should be glad you’re on here, however, because every second you spend typing is a second in which a patient escapes your sticky-fingered abuse. I shudder to think what those poor people are suffering at your hands.

by Anonymousreply 458August 28, 2019 6:59 PM

Keep shuddering bitch, it's the closest thing to sex you've had and will have, in years!

by Anonymousreply 459August 28, 2019 7:59 PM

Are R458 and R459 (and R454 and R455 and R448 and R459 and on and on and on...) the same person arguing with themselves or two different people arguing with each other?

by Anonymousreply 460August 28, 2019 10:36 PM

Well r460, r459 is one person, and r458 is a different one, as well as being a complete moron. Pay her no mind. She's just too stupid to realize how stupid she is.

by Anonymousreply 461August 29, 2019 12:14 AM

Another thread ruined by humorless cunts.

by Anonymousreply 462August 29, 2019 1:34 AM

I’m letting the unfathomably stupid R461 have the last word, because he clearly needs to feel he’s ‘won’.

by Anonymousreply 463August 29, 2019 7:29 AM

Thanks, shit for brains.

That means a lot coming from you because I know you're projecting. Your constant replies to me tell everyone here that you are unfathomably stupid and need to have the last word to feel like you've won. You probably won't respond again, because it would make you look even more idiotic than you have been throughout the thread (and that's saying something) after that last illiterate tear & snot bubble filled post. I know it's KILLING you not responding.

Enjoy your life tiny brained, house elephant!

by Anonymousreply 464August 29, 2019 2:27 PM

Major bitch fight happening here. Are you drag queens?

by Anonymousreply 465September 5, 2019 3:56 PM

WIGS WILL BE THROWN!!!

by Anonymousreply 466September 5, 2019 9:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!